• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

First ever ND Miata TV commercial.

Oh my fnck...

93b.jpg

I've suffered through numerous Sarah McLalalalalalan pet ads and other sappy shit out there but this is the first time I've actually lost my feels from a goddamn TV commercial.

Non-Miata people probably wouldn't experience the same effect it had on me, but for those current and Miata owners... y'all know how it is.

Zoolader

I helped a friend vinyl wrap his car over the past few days and now I'm really wanting to do mine. It's actually simple and I was impressed with how good it looked. I'm really tempted to open a business after hearing how much people pay to get it done. I'm gonna have to get some samples first but I was thinking blue, red, or yellow for my car. Should be a nice change from boring silver.

Also I got lost driving on a backroad in the boonies and pulled over on the side of the road to pull out my phone for directions. Out of nowhere a red Audi Ur-Quattro screams by and I got chills watching the red blur pass me. I hardly had time to discern what it was but the sound of the inline-5 turbo was hard to mistake. Before I took off he had come back around and and we started talking about our cars (mostly his) until his gf looked annoyed. After that I followed him for a bit on a spirited drive while trying to keep up. It was magical man.

Miate life!

BiA26b_CYAAVmNa.jpg

lem0n

Oh my fnck...

93b.jpg

I've suffered through numerous Sarah McLalalalalalan pet ads and other sappy shit out there but this is the first time I've actually lost my feels from a goddamn TV commercial.

Non-Miata people probably wouldn't experience the same effect it had on me, but for those current and Miata owners... y'all know how it is.

Oh god, that hit straight in the damn feels. I love my NA :,D

Momentary

Banned
Have you considered BAC Mono? Very expensive, but what a thing.

Edit: It's a single seater, so it's probably out, heh.

Yeah. It's out. I love that car. But it's up in the 6 digits.

Found a use V6 Cup for sale, but I would need to haul it around on a trailer and couldn't use it to do anything other than go on the track on the weekends.

lem0n

Found a use V6 Cup for sale, but I would need to haul it around on a trailer and couldn't use it to do anything other than go on the track on the weekends.

Oh WOW now theres an interesting choice! Clio V6s are totally underrated. Of everything youre considering, I'd look at 4C, Atom, and that Clio.

Give Sector 111 in CA a call and see if theyve got something for sale?

What the hell man. In the last 3 weeks I have found out about car companies I have never heard of in my life. Donkervoort, Ginetta, Donto... If only I could win the damn lottery.

Yeah I found out about them only a month ago. I really want a G40R.
ginetta-g40r-04.jpg

I don't think they sell them in America.

I watched the video of the company and immediately wished I could get one here.

I think I am going to get the 2016 WRX premium(leather seat one) in one years time. If I am going to get a 3rd it might be a project or used two seater for less than 9k.

DasRaven

When did it get so damn dusty in here? *wipes tear*

*former NA and NB owner

Nander

What the hell man. In the last 3 weeks I have found out about car companies I have never heard of in my life. Donkervoort, Ginetta, Donto... If only I could win the damn lottery.

Ah, Ginetta. The G34 was actually built here in Sweden for a few years in the 90s, and you would see them every once in a while at the car meets I used to go to with my dad. Really nice car!

1996_Ginetta_G341.jpg

matmanx1

Look. I know about all this power to weight, mid-engine this and that talk. I'm just saying that it just sounds too much for a car with 230 horspower. I should have put things into a better perspective here and said that the 2015 exige shits on the 4C for a lot less. And it's the superior driving "experience." That's what I truly want, but America likes to have these safety law and whatnot. I'm sorry, but that rumble of the V8 and the lack of trinkets and refinement on the z/28 was just a raw experience. I enjoyed driving it more than I did the Vantage. I could almost wait for for the next-gen z/28 and roll with my mighty tC. Deep down inside though, at the end of the day, I'm just praying that BMW/Toyota destroy it with the Supra.

BTW The search for a crossover/suv is coming to an end. The wife is in love with the Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. Only thing wrong with it is that it doesn't have, "those red brakes."

Edit: Okay I did my conversion wrong. Exige is like 15,000 more... so yeah. Whatever.

The price for the Alfa is worth it considering the carbon fiber tub. No other car under 100k has one and it certainly sets the Alfa apart in terms of lightweight but really stiff.

And I'm totally with you on the Exige. It breaks my heart that it and the Elise are now road illegal here in the states. =/

V6 Cup Exige?

Jackson

So the local dealer who I have my GT4 order with has no idea I bought that GTS out of state. He just sent me this 67 page hardcover book with a note. lol

Or it won't be worth the wait since that wait was a "maybe" in the fall anyway. Right?

When did it get so damn dusty in here? *wipes tear*

*former NA and NB owner

Right?

The entire ad hits on all the right notes of the typical Miata experience... bought secondhand, modded it, took it everywhere, met people, trading it in for practicality, then finally back to a Miata.

I'm hoping I'll never hit the trade for practicality part.

So the local dealer who I have my GT4 order with has no idea I bought that GTS out of state. He just sent me this 67 page hardcover book with a note. lol

LOLOLOL.

Troll him and send him a GTS catalog and a sticky note that says:

"Sorry Brother, you're already too late." - Evo X

Beats that Japanese BRZ commercial with the asshole dad.

I've never seen this before, can I get a link? Lol.

Momentary

Banned

I got intrigued by this and looked it up... now I need this in my life. it's a bit out of my price point though. :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I'm confused...did you give them a deposit for the GT4?

Evo X

Or it won't be worth the wait since that wait was a "maybe" in the fall anyway. Right?

Yeah, they only have one confirmed allocation at this point. I am #2 in line.

LOLOLOL.

Troll him and send him a GTS catalog and a sticky note that says:

"Sorry Brother, you're already too late." - Evo X

Nah, I'm not one to hold grudges. I know he tried, but the GT4 is just incredibly hard to get. They gave me a free admission to a Porsche Sport Driving School track day in June to make up for it. Those cost around $3,000.

I got intrigued by this and looked it up... now I need this in my life. it's a bit out of my price point though. :(

LOL, good luck. Doesn't matter even if you could afford it, they have been sold out for months. I put down a deposit the day they revealed it in early February and still don't have a confirmed delivery for this year.

I'm confused...did you give them a deposit for the GT4?

Yeah, I still have a deposit with them. It's only a thousand bucks so I'll let them hold onto it in case I want to trade in the GTS for it later.

GHG

Gold Member
I wanted to save it as a surprise when I post delivery pictures next week.

Place your bets. :)

As long as it's not mahogany then we're all good.

But I'm going with red exterior, black leather interior with red stitching.

Any of you use a foam lance while cleaning your car?

I bought one and I cannot see the advantage whatsoever after two washes. Perhaps it's a benefit if your car is very very dirty, but I'm not seeing the purpose for one of these.

Momentary

Banned
Any of you use a foam lance while cleaning your car?

I bought one and I cannot see the advantage whatsoever after two washes. Perhaps it's a benefit if your car is very very dirty, but I'm not seeing the purpose for one of these.

I'm too lazy to go out and research pressure washer and lances to even attempt it. I just use microfiber then to eliminate swirls I just put in some time with my buffer.

Speaking of which. After doing some.car shopping, what the hell is up with all the swirls on the paint jobs of BRAND new cars. I'm going to say something before even attempting to sign for a car. Do they gave idiots wiping them down with sand paper? EVERY car is like this on the lots.

Momentary

Banned
1.JPG

Jesus what a good looking piece of machinery. If I had the money I would bring it over to the states and find a company specializing in custom car fabrication and turn this into a Steet Legal beauty. Fuck man I wish I would have never started looking at track specialized cars.

I called my dealership here in Greensboro and they have 1 allotment for a GT4. All that is needed is a deposit. I asked about the allotments for the GT3 RS out of curiosity and he laughed at me. Not in a disrespectful kind of way, but in a "you're 4 months too late" kind of way.

lem0n

1.JPG

Jesus what a good looking piece of machinery. If I had the money I would bring it over to the states and find a company specializing in custom car fabrication and turn this into a Steet Legal beauty. Fuck man I wish I would have never started looking at track specialized cars.

I called my dealership here in Greensboro and they have 1 allotment for a GT4. All that is needed is a deposit. I asked about the allotments for the GT3 RS out of curiosity and he laughed at me. Not in a disrespectful kind of way, but in a "you're 4 months too late" kind of way.
Ginetta is such a perfect drivers car. It's absolutely no-nonsense.

I forget, but have you considered the Atom at all?

Evo X

Hey Rayge, one of my friend's has an Ariel Atom in case you are considering it and have any questions. He loves that thing. I went out in it once and it's bonkers!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, I still have a deposit with them. It's only a thousand bucks so I'll let them hold onto it in case I want to trade in the GTS for it later.

This is going to back fire on you tremendously, dude.

I'd take that money back. Especially if they (once they?) find out you bought a car from another dealer. A lot of deposits are non-refundable.

Evo X

I'm no expert in RWD vehicle, so what the heck happened? He got it moving ok then the thing just veers off the road.

Cold tires + 650HP & TQ + Idiot behind the wheel dumping the clutch and slamming the gas going into second gear.

speaking of launches, i used launch control for the first time today. did it in a big parking lot as i wasn't sure what to expect and didn't wanna pull a move like this Z06.
car went to 3k in default and it was awesome.

couldn't do it again as i realized i need to do a few cool down miles before i could launch again. next time i'm gonna try it at 2500rpm as thats apparently a bit faster to get grip.

wish it was like a porsche turbo where you can launch one after another.

Momentary

Banned
Some dude just wrecked his brand new Z06 trying to show off to his friends. Still had the temp tags on it.

This is what happens when you give an idiot 650HP:

https://www.facebook.com/HighTechCorvettefans/videos/990808747626093/

Clearly the road was wet. Even one of his friends hopped on and said the right tire blew right before he veered off.Yeah.

Ginetta is such a perfect drivers car. It's absolutely no-nonsense.

I forget, but have you considered the Atom at all?

I did. I just want something a little less "naked." Really hoping Donto starts manufacturing the P1 with it's hardtop within a years time.

By that time hopefully Toyota and BMW stop messing around and there will be a refresh on Cayman GT4's. Right now, for what's available in America, Cayman is leading the pack when it comes time.

Right now, my wife is all over the place with this SUV/Crossover searching. She's looking at Subaru's now and I think they are garbage. She really needs something that is a 4x4 that can drive on the beach and not get stuck. All these Crossovers are either front wheel drive of All wheel drive. Anyone here more knowledgeable about this?

Top Bottom