• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Track day yesterday!

45 degrees Farenheit!

Raining!

It was actually a ton of fun after my initial trepidation. Once I had warmed up and gotten a feel for the grip levels I was able to throw the car around pretty consistently. So who wants to watch me manhandle* an old 911 on a wet track?

https://youtu.be/G7IIZGcGXmE

* Try not to understeer too much because fuck everything if you think I'm trail-braking that car on a wet day. I'm not risking the car to win at open track day.

And another for good measure. https://youtu.be/SzNT3_WAXag

GJ getting out there and not just packing it up.

How was the traction difference between tarmac and the concrete patches? None of our NorCal tracks have that. What tires did you run?

Oh man anyone want to break off and start a poor people car GAF, no rich people allowed? This thread always makes me feel mad jealous and like I don't belong since I can't afford anything new and European

Jackson

Oh man anyone want to break off and start a poor people car GAF, no rich people allowed? This thread always makes me feel mad jealous and like I don't belong since I can't afford anything new and European

ALL CARS ARE WELCOME HERE!!! NONE SHALL BE SHUNNED AT THE DIGITAL ALTER OF RUBBER AND METAL!
NOW POST PICS OF YOUR CAR OR DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!!

A̛̛̪͎̪͍͓͊̽̍̏̐̈͛ͬͤ́̾ͮ͐͗ͬ̈́̃̚͡͡L̢̜͉̞̭͎̮͈̩̔ͫ́ͫ̆̒͑̓͌̾̌͒̔̋̀͌̓͞͞Lͧ̄ͥͥ̇͌̊́͘͏̶͓̦͕͇̗͙̠̦̩ ̵̼̥̯̱̘͈͎̘͇̪̗̪͈̰̱̪̟̼ͥ̈ͪͯ̽̿̑ͅC̷̨͖̜̠͉̰̞͙͓̖̫͐͋̂́̂ͤ́ͅA̧̿͆̍ͮ̓̅ͨ͆͡͏͓̘͔̞͉͓͚̰̞͉̦̫̼̱̰͍͙̕R̸̴͖̙͓̭̳̥̥̀̈́ͣ͊̃ͬͦ͂ͤ̔ͬ̕͠͞S͓͇̙̯̜̟͙̩̱̝̗͉̦͖ͪ̎ͯ̑̇͑̆̇̆͑̆ͦ͒͘͘̕ ̡͆̊͐ͫ̔͒͟҉̧̬͓̟̬̟̮̩̯̞̙̦̞̕Ä͉͙̙̙̠̜́̏̉ͦ̅͒̉ͫͭ̅̔͛̆̀ͩͧ̈̚̕͜ͅR̛͓̗̼̪̅ͭ͛ͯ̾̃̈́̊̒̒͗͋ͥ̆͐̈́̀E̹̜̣̦̭̺͔̥͖̪̤͖ͮ̀ͥͦ̚͝͡ ̶̶̗̣̤̦̰̜͖̰̗͓̯̩̬̫̙̥̦ͮͩͩ̑͊͞W̧͌ͦ̀͂̈́͛̿̓͗ͧ̏ͨ̿̂҉̟͔̲͕͔̟͔̩̝̼̩͕̤͢E̡̮̝̻̦͖͓̪̬̼̖͇̖̝̝̒ͩ͌̌͢Ļ̧̡̣͈̘̤̗̺̜̯̦̈̾͊̍ͤͧͤ̾ͩ̓̇͛̓C̷̢̱̗̣̼͇̣͇̻͇̪̞̗̼̐̆͆̃̕Oͧ̆̽̆ͧ͑͌͒́͆̑ͧ́͐ͨ̀͐͢͞҉̴̱̼̘͎̞̲̖͚̩͉̕M̸̸̫̬̱͔̅ͯ̓ͩ͂̑̈̃̈́̀ͧ͞E̢̯͙̳̮̮͇̦̙͖͎͕̬̖̜͈̗͆̐̆̔͒ͪ̐͆̈́ͦ͂̊ͣͯ̅ͯ̚͟͢ͅ!̸̨̢͔̮͔͕͙̹̿͊̌̋̓ͨ͐̀ͮ̓ͬ͊ͩ͐̂̑ͮ́̚͢
̠̫̘̜̘̿͛̀ͭ͝
̴͒̓ͪ͐̄̍ͩͨͬ̇ͨ͋ͪ͂ͧ̔̌̀̚҉̫̟͚̱̟͉̙̫̗͈͚̗̪̤̙͜A̢̧̨̗̙͚̞̗̟͕̹̱̖͇͚̜̒̌͂͆̔ͨ̓̍ͬ̀L̬͉̙̹̺̬̜̦͕͇̟͓̙̞̊͊̂̐͑ͬ̐͋̅̾ͦ̀́ͅĻ̴̻̬̬̟̺̠̫͈̤̊̉͋̉̓̌̊̆ͪ̋̾ͤ̍ͪ̀͟͝ ̨͖̺̗̣̙̟̬̰͖̠̘̻̹̪̱͈͙̔͒̽ͪ͝M̗̳͖̬̗̫̩͚̬̖̻̘͆̂͗ͮͯ̚͢͟Â̸̵̺̦͍͉̥̩̞̱̫̞̮̞̥̅̿́̕͟K̝͙͇̪̺̩̦̼͍̝͎͓͈̂ͫ̏̇ͯ͋ͮͯͨͬͧ̿ͨ̔̍́ͬ̚͡ͅE̸̷͍̮̠͍̰͇ͥ̑̓̀́̽̓͋̽ͩ̍ͥ͌ͮ̏́͜͞Ş̷̖̮̤͍͓̺̻̜̰̜ͤ̐̑̎̈́̋̉̈͂̃́̚͞.̷̞̫͇̳͖̬̪̊ͭ̏̀͆̓̓̆͛ͩͩ͞ͅ ̤̯͕̮̭̗̲̤̺͖̘̖̩̃̏ͫ̂͑́̓ͭͮͣ̄̆̿͊̈͊͑͑̚͞A̡̙̯͎͖̤͎̤̯͈̱̖̮̱ͭ̀̾́̀͒͑̀̏̊ͨ́ͥͪͦ̈̂ͥ̚͢͠L̷̴̛̛̬̝̟̹̮̙͙͍̺͚̘͋̿ͧ̎̎͑ͩͩ̈͌ͦL̰̘͓̫̣̰̘̩̣̰͓͈̠͉̙̥̺̅̌ͯ̈́͒͗͑̌͠͝ͅ ̨̨̤̰̖͖̹͈͎͚͈̭̠̣̘̞͖̗͈̹̅ͤ͋ͮ̀̅́̃̎ͭ͊̍̒ͥ̆̃͗̿̀͝͝M̻̯͖͉̒̂ͦͯͬ͒͋ͬͧ̕O̴̪̘͈̳̰ͩ̐ͩ̋͆͌ͮ̓̍̊͛ͭͯ̔̿͌̄ͦ̉̀͡ͅD̨̡̩̘̬̫̑̒͋ͬ̓ͦͫ͂ͧͣ̇̐ͤ̓Ȩ͗͒̒ͨͧ͑ͣ͑̏̃̅͑҉͍̞͎̙̹͚̝̮̹̩͇̭̗̣͉͜͞L̵̛̦͎̦̮ͤ̋́͒͋ͧͦ̕S̶̼͍͓̞̣̥͙ͭ̌̏ͨ̽̾̿͆̓ͩͅ.ͧ͋̍͐͒͂̋̏̅̃͌ͨ̽͢͏͕̮͕͈̱̰̜̫̼̲̪̰͍̜̹͉͟͝ͅͅ ̶̛̝̳̹͉̙̗̳̊͂̋̅̏̓͐ͨ͆͐̿̕A̶̡̓͑͋ͦͤ̍̌̾͐͢͏͍̻͖̞̺͎̤̪͉̟̱̳̹̣͖L̝̙̥̙̓̓̂̌ͬͯ̇ͯ̋̓͞Lͨ̐ͬ̍̃̓̐͌͛͐̔̾ͪͧ̎͞҉͚̲̰̱͇͉̯͔̱͚̝̼̹͞ ̷̮̤̙̙̞̖̩̣̮̯̭̺̝̦̐̓͛̈̉ͪ̾̈́̿ͫ͌͊̌̚̚͞ͅT̸̵̷̷̻̱̻̥̫̦̞͓̹̩̘̘̱ͧͧͣ͋ͬ̕R͙͚̘͚̻̤̦̞̠̝̞̪͕̦̖͚̯̋̑̉̏͜Ì̷̡̢̼̙̤̲̰̥̺͛͊͒ͪ̿͑̎́͒̀͊͌ͯͩ͊ͪ́̚͞M̴̸̧͎̼͙͓̝̱̝̹̱̜͚ͯ͐̍͊̇ͧͯͨ̎̍ͧ͂͆̉̂ͫͩ̚͞S̟̘̱̹̬͖̲̤̗̥͍̫͉̱̖̫̗̓̇̑̍̃̍͛̍͐̐͛ͦ͆̇̒ͣ̕͝.̡͂ͫͥ̌̐̿ͭ̍̆̍̋ͥ͒ͮ҉̖̥̘̥͓̜͔̖̥͖̗̟̬̼̞̹̪̥͠ ̷̡̟̞̙̩̣̲̯̖͔̗̲͐̐͂͂ͫ͛ͣͣ̒̓ͧ̐͞͡͠A̷͇̬͎̝̱̺͍͙͇̲͍͍͍̩̞̘̓̋͑͆̀̒ͪͥ̊ͬ̉ͨͤ͗̌̅ͦ̌̆͜͢͜͡ͅL̢̢̡͓͕̻̦͈̺͍̯̲̰̼͂̓͂͛ͮͩ̆̔ͮ͆ͭ̕L̷̮̰̯͇̟̳̘̤̥̣͉̙̼ͪͬ͂͐͛ͣ̿ͣ̉͐͊̄̏̀͢͠ ̠̞̭̲̅̔͌ͨ͑͌̔̽ͮ̑͆̐̆̌̈́ͬ̀͞͝Ỳ̸̴͓̗̲͇̩̻̦̲̭̺̜͕̭̼̳̗͚̀͆̂ͧͪ̎̍̆͛̕͞E̴̢̼̯̝̻̦̘̲͎̰͍̦̖̻̝̰͗́͐̿̃͂ͣ̓̐͒̎͘A̸ͭ̑̆̌͌̂̎ͭ̋ͮ͏͓͖̠̫̣͙̳̗̬̬̭̠̠̗R̗̟̺̭͙̣͗̈ͤͤ̂ͯ͒͒̑ͩ̔͐̿ͮ̋͛̚͝Ṣ͍̦͈͉͇̳̜͙͈͈̟͉͚͔̲̋ͥ͂̋͋̃̓ͪ̓̊̔͢.̛͕̣̫̹̜̤̯̤̠̬̝̫͎̖̱͇̩̙̰ͦ̒̈ͪͮͭ̓ͬ̍ͭͯ̍̀̕͡
̧̢̙̠̭̳̞̖͍̦͕̙͋ͫͭ͡͡
͒ͨ̓͊̉̌͛̓̽͂ͪ͌̋͏̖̤͕͙̩̙̪̝͖̘̟̮̥̭̗̺͜P̷̶͉̟͈̜̖̦̭̩͓͙̭͖͉̓͛͆͂ͪͦ͆͊̂ͧ̅̒̅̑ͧͯÒ̪͔̺̟̺͍͖̙̯̦̠̣̒̆ͦͭ̿̽͊͝Ŝ̴̗̙̘̜͔̟͉͖̯̹̯͓̳̰̂̈́̆̆̉ͯͤͩ̽̀͠ͅͅT̨ͥ́̋͌ͮ͂̓ͨ̔ͯͤͥͫͮ͡͏̛̺̞̪̺̺̣͚̗̮̤̦̥͔̩̦͎̪͉̯͟.̶̼̞͎̖̖̬̱̬̐̏̑ͨ̅̏̇̀͑ͥ̓̄̚͡͡ͅ
͔̦̩͔̘̩̒͋̔̈ͬ͐̍͋̕͜
̶̸̸̂͆ͬͬͤ͌ͯͣ̇̇ͣ͑͒ͮͩͬ̈҉̠͎̥̰̭̙̲̞͙̱̭͖O̡̝͍̩̯͉̱̱͍̼̜̦̻̟̼̜̩̰͖ͩͮͩ̿͘͟͠R̶̖̝̬̼͚͔̼͚̭̖͓̻͙̹̟̱͂ͥ͑̌ͨ͐͑ͨ̇̉͐̓̽̈́́̿͑͆̿͘͘͢͠.̷̨̖̥͓̭̱͔̟̤̐̒ͬ͊͐̒ͧ͆͊̊̌̉ͨ͌̇
͉̪͚̗̱͓̒̀ͭͪ̐͐ͥ̔̐͆́ͧ̀͌̿́̚͡͡͡ͅ
̡̢͚͍̗̮͍̜̖̲͚̣͎̬̟̬͍͚͙̥͆̊̆̊͛ͭͫ͆ͫ̄͂̽ͨͩͣ̃̿̑͞D̶̶̤̤̤ͫ̃̃̃ͦ̾ͪͤ̂͋͗͂̈̂ͬ̉̑ͪ͡ͅI̶ͤͭ̇̀ͩ̃ͤ͏̴̭̠̯̯̜Į̸̵̢͔̝͖͍͉̮̣̈́ͩ̍͐̈́̔ͥ̓̆͠I̷͍̥͇̳͖̲̲̰̰͙͉͙̭̼͒͗̋̀͂ͭ̍̎̀̌̑͑̐͝͝Į͔̞̻̯̞̰̠͔̪͓̹ͨ̿̓ͨ͐ͭͧ͋ͨ̋̊ͥͯ͡͞I͌̐̈́ͫ̑͆ͪ̍ͮ̒҉͏̧҉̥̖̪̜̳I̢̧͖̰̟͔̝̩͍̫͎͙͈̹͍̾̊ͥͫ͆̃ͯ͌͐̂ͯ̍̿ͬ̒ͧ͡ͅͅͅI̊ͪͦ͐̓ͭͤ̀̈͆͆͝͏̡̧̖̹̮͇͙͇̱͓̠͖͚̜̯͈̕Į͚͇̜̩͓͕̪̘̇ͬͧͤ̽Į̵̙͖̮̻̝̙̜̱̹̖̩͈̲̬̯̂̀ͩ̎̐͗̆̏͒͊̀͌͊̐͒̔ͯ͐̾́͢Í̳͓̲̪̻̜ͮ͌̈̒̉͒͗̀̚͠I̶̧͕͎̮͚̜̙̳̟̯̟͉̞̹̮̹ͭͩ̓͆͊͂͗̔̒̓̒̇͘Ḭ̸̗̖̠̺̳̣̲̰̹̦̥͕̩͎̰̏͋ͨ̒̔ͬ̅͌ͧͦ̒ͩͬ͊͊͜͞͞Ḭ̴͕̮̤̓̈͑ͮ̆̋̊̈́̊͜͝I̵̡͛ͣ͌͑͌ͩ̌ͦ́͝͏̬̗̣͙̼͇̞̘̮͎̞I̍́̓̏͏̳̱͙̞͢I̴̧̡̮̘̱͖̥̫̝̠͍̬̳̫ͫͥ̋̓͂͒̊ͬ̚͢ͅI̷ͧ̆͒̽̄̈́ͨ̉҉̡̠̙̙͚͔̱̞̗̻̞̗̘E̴̛̮͍̘͍͊͗̐́̚͞ͅ

Jackson

What the fuck.

Jackson, you feeling alright or am I gonna have to call the exorcist again?

Just trying to make him feel welcome! lol

Track day yesterday!

* Try not to understeer too much because fuck everything if you think I'm trail-braking that car on a wet day. I'm not risking the car to win at open track day.

I wish you were shouting... "NEMESIS!!" lol. I mean you're in an older Porsche. It's required!

But you're a very brave man doing that in the rain. hehe

OkcwWyh.jpg

EDIT: BTW I've never taken that key out. Like... ever. Didn't know what it looks like underneath. Now I do! lol.

Evo X

Just trying to make him feel welcome! lol

BTW I've never taken that key out. Like... ever. Didn't know what it looks like underneath. Now I do! lol.

I'm sure that crazy satanic gibberish makes him feel right at home. lol

Also, why wouldn't you remove the key? Doesn't that mean someone could just hop in and steal your car?

Jackson

Also, why wouldn't you remove the key? Doesn't that mean someone could just hop in and steal your car?

Car can't start without the additional key fob in your pocket.

It makes life easier (for me) to leave it in. I just hop in and turn the already inserted key. LE MANS STYLE YO!

For example, a little while ago I got tired of my front right tire always losing pressure due to a slightly bent rim. I needed new tires too. So I saved up and got a set of knockoff tuner wheels with some rubber to match and put them on my car.

It was at this time that I realized that my car, which was made within the past 10 years, has drum brakes on the rear.

Jackson

For example, a little while ago I got tired of my front right tire always losing pressure due to a slightly bent rim. I needed new tires too. So I saved up and got a set of knockoff tuner wheels with some rubber to match and put them on my car.

It was at this time that I realized that my car, which was made within the past 10 years, has drum brakes on the rear.

Don't worry! Drum brakes are retro, and that's in these days.

What do ya drive?

grebby

Long-time lurker of this thread, just had to post because my god... what a car. Congratulations Evo X, the red is just gorgeous.

GJ getting out there and not just packing it up.

How was the traction difference between tarmac and the concrete patches? None of our NorCal tracks have that. What tires did you run?

The concrete had nothing for grip. The wet line there is two tires on the asphalt at all times. I'm not sure that was the fastest line, though, which is why I was kind of bouncing back and forth between riding the concrete and riding the pavement. What worked best, I think, was turning in just before a patch, letting the car rotate through then getting on the gas to straighten it out. I could put power down fine on the concrete but couldn't turn one bit. A few times coming off the back straight I pushed waaaay off the line because I just understeered over the concrete.

They're yokohama s-drives. Nothing fancy just a high performance summer that's good on the car and cheapish.

I wish you were shouting... "NEMESIS!!" lol. I mean you're in an older Porsche. It's required!

But you're a very brave man doing that in the rain. hehe

Honestly, every time I did my dumb "nobody's around" laugh, I thought I should top it off with NEMESIIIIIIIIIS

Damnit! I was even chasing a mustang!

Ty4on

I don't think anything looks sillier than a car with tiny disc brakes and big rims :p

This is kind of related, but it can be surprisingly easy for a thief to open up and even steal your car if it has keyless entry.

The system for keyless entry is quite simple. The car pings the key a short range signal. If the key responds to the outside signal it will open the car when you touch the handle. If the key responds to the inside signal it will start the car when you press the button.
The crypto here is in all cases I've heard of done correctly so it is impossible for thieves to make a mock key.
31a4koH.png

The problem is that while the car's signal is short range the key's signal is quite long range.
What thieves then can do is amplify the signal from the car so that the key hears it and responds. If the key is close enough (usually within 100m) it will open the car when they touch the handle. When the thieves get inside with the device they will amplify the inside signal and when the key responds they can start the car. For safety reasons the car won't stop if the key is out of range so they can drive it to their hideout and reprogram the lock there if they have the tools for it. If they don't they can still open the car and clean it for valuables (which has been reported).

The report PDF is here and I first heard it on Security Now 508 (transcript).

ALL CARS ARE WELCOME HERE!!! NONE SHALL BE SHUNNED AT THE DIGITAL ALTER OF RUBBER AND METAL!
NOW POST PICS OF YOUR CAR OR DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Welp.

What does the last sentence say though? Or is it just diiiiiiiiiieeee? Lol.

They're yokohama s-drives. Nothing fancy just a high performance summer that's good on the car and cheapish.

Yeah! S-Drives!!

Best cheapo summer tire in all of existence. Note that I said cheapo summer tire, not the best expensive summer tire lol.

I had them when I get my Miata 3 years ago and replaced them with a new set 2 years ago and I think I've had my limit with them. It's too tail happy in the wet these days, and breaking traction in the dry is much easier with my aggressive suspension.

Dunno what I'll be switching to next when the time comes but if I can't find anything else that's cheap and offers the same level of performance, I'll definitely go back.

Dude seriously? What are you talking about?

I've been trying to understand this myself and I believe his logic is that even if it's a super light rear wheel drive sports car... it's still not a performance car because it produces a puny 155hp.

Going by this, that means the Toyobaru, WRX, S2000, RX-8, Mazdaspeed3, Golf R, Ariel Atom, Lotus Exige, Alfa 4c and everything under 300hp isn't considered a "performance car" because it lacks 300hp.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The concrete had nothing for grip. The wet line there is two tires on the asphalt at all times. I'm not sure that was the fastest line, though, which is why I was kind of bouncing back and forth between riding the concrete and riding the pavement. What worked best, I think, was turning in just before a patch, letting the car rotate through then getting on the gas to straighten it out. I could put power down fine on the concrete but couldn't turn one bit. A few times coming off the back straight I pushed waaaay off the line because I just understeered over the concrete.

Honestly, every time I did my dumb "nobody's around" laugh, I thought I should top it off with NEMESIIIIIIIIIS

Damnit! I was even chasing a mustang!

In the dry, how is concrete different from Tarmac in your experience?

You put two people in a room together they'll think of three different ways to describe the Miata.

I wouldn't call it a performance car I'd call it a sportscar, a roadster, a funbug, a tallywhacker, what have you. It's a car that doesn't go all that fast that's fun to drive, the end.

In the dry, how is concrete different from Tarmac in your experience?

It's hard to say. It feels like you have plenty of grip but if you break traction it seems harder to get it back. It also feels a lot rougher, but that varies from track to track I think.

You put two people in a room together they'll think of three different ways to describe the Miata.

I wouldn't call it a performance car I'd call it a sportscar, a roadster, a funbug, a tallywhacker, what have you. It's a car that doesn't go all that fast that's fun to drive, the end.

Compared to what? What imaginary standard do you guys have for performance cars?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Compared to what? What imaginary standard do you guys have for performance cars?

Imaginary standard? Uhhh...how about a Porsche 911 or Cayman S for starters? That's basically the starting line of the performance echelon, leading all the way up to a host of other cars.

The Miata, as great as it is, doesn't quite land there.

Imaginary standard? Uhhh...how about a Porsche 911 or Cayman S for starters? That's basically the starting line of the performance echelon, leading all the way up to a host of other cars.

The Miata, as great as it is, doesn't quite land there.

My brother out ran Cayman a month ago a Watkins Glen in his lightly tuned NA. So.... the Miata is a performance car then cause it beat a Cayman on a track right? Isn't a 911 consider a "super car"? So cars need to be "super cars' to be a performance car? So again what's your standard? Stock cars? Are we rating stock cars? Lightly tuned cars?

AlphaSnake

My brother out ran Cayman a month ago a Watkins Glen in his lightly tuned NA. So.... the Miata is a performance car then cause it beat a Cayman on a track right? Isn't a 911 consider a "super car"? So cars need to be "super cars' to be a performance car? So again what's your standard? Stock cars? Are we rating stock cars? Lightly tuned cars?

What kind of Cayman? What kind of driver? What is lightly tuned? Explain. Variables, how do they work.

Also, a 911 is a far cry from a supercar. Maybe 20 years ago it would have been. But 400HP and 3200lbs is hardly supercar today.

No need to get defensive. What I was saying was that the car is tuned towards the driver having a lot of fun, Mazda even stated that they don't care about track times. And what makes a performance car anyway? Is it different from a sports car?

If I were to say something I'd say that a performance car has an eye towards lap times, even if it means sacrificing some level of driver involvement, whereas a sportscar is just about having fun. That's just me making up nonsense, though, so really who cares.

Dude that paint job is hot. I'm sure it's just the lighting but it looks like it's made of liquid mercury.

ShowDog

It's an incredibly stupid thing to argue about because there is no right answer. However, if I was gonna put a label on the entry level "performance car" I'd probably go with a Mustang GT or a Camaro SS. If you don't agree with that add the relevant packages (like the 1LE for the SS) and it's pretty impossible to argue it's not a "performance car" because it will eat just about anything for lunch.

The Miata is more of a sport car IMO. Performance implies statistical excellence, while sporting (to me) implies joyful fun which the Miata has in spades.

matmanx1

Track day yesterday!

45 degrees Farenheit!

Raining!

It was actually a ton of fun after my initial trepidation. Once I had warmed up and gotten a feel for the grip levels I was able to throw the car around pretty consistently. So who wants to watch me manhandle* an old 911 on a wet track?

Looks like white-knuckled fun, especially in the rain!

Gorgeous. Love that paint!

The biggest difference I can describe between my z06 and a Miata is that I'm guiding the z06 while I'm driving the Miata.

With my Z06, everything is of a greater magnitude and when it does break loose, you're a few feet off your line. Thus you're guiding the car around the best way possible without upsetting it.

With the Miata, you're able to make all these corrections and still maintain your line and really change your driving style to whatever feels fun at the moment. The things that would heavily penalize you in the z06 can often be fun moments in a Miata.

The miatas lap times will be much slower naturally but there is certainly an element of driver involvement that shouldn't be overlooked. Not to mention the cost of a running a full season is about the same as 2 trackdays on a Z06....

J-Rzez

Might wanna drive one first before you comment on it's "lack of power."

If all the fun in your world is beating a V6 Camry/Accord at a stoplight, then yes the Miata lacks power. But if you actually enjoy the act of driving, then nah... this thing has more than enough power for fun... and you probably won't get in trouble too.

Sorry, but not having enough grunt is not fun, to me. Powering through/out of corners is fun, once again, to me. And I do actually enjoy the act of driving as I've said numerous times now the toy I'll be saving for is an Ariel Atom, which is the one of the most pure driving experiences one can ever have. I'd opt for the FI versions though.

I've been trying to understand this myself and I believe his logic is that even if it's a super light rear wheel drive sports car... it's still not a performance car because it produces a puny 155hp.

Going by this, that means the Toyobaru, WRX, S2000, RX-8, Mazdaspeed3, Golf R, Ariel Atom, Lotus Exige, Alfa 4c and everything under 300hp isn't considered a "performance car" because it lacks 300hp.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

That miata is not a sports car, at most it's a sporty-fun (to some) car. I'm not getting into this again like I did with the Toybarus, I just don't classify it as one, just like I don't consider my WRX or old EVO one, that's just me.

Out of those listed: WRX/S2000/Golf R and especially the Atom/Exige/4C are performance cars, and for obvious reasons compared to this miata. Until there's a "speed" version with significantly more power/torque, it's not a performance car, it doesn't have enough grunt despite it's weight.

There's a reason the Toybarus failed. It's not a numbers thing, and I'm sure it would sell itself if it's driving experience is that magical, but it didn't.

Still waiting on what was the "cheapass performance car" thing, lol. If you were going to say WRX, don't bother, because it absolutely still is the best performance car you can buy for it's price, and this miata doesn't take that away from it.

Once again, all IMHO.

First reviews of the Civic Type R are coming out.

Seems to be a pretty good car. The price makes absolutely no sense to me though. Really, 32k pounds? That's almost $50k USD lol.

I hope the US version is closer to 30 and In may consider it. Otherwise my next car is probably a WRX, but we'll see how my finances are at that point lol.

AlphaSnake

First reviews of the Civic Type R are coming out.

Seems to be a pretty good car. The price makes absolutely no sense to me though. Really, 32k pounds? That's almost $50k USD lol.

I hope the US version is closer to 30 and In may consider it. Otherwise my next car is probably a WRX, but we'll see how my finances are at that point lol.

Foreign money =/= USD.

Ever. If it's 32K there, it'll cost roughly the same here.

No need to get defensive. What I was saying was that the car is tuned towards the driver having a lot of fun, Mazda even stated that they don't care about track times. And what makes a performance car anyway? Is it different from a sports car?

If I were to say something I'd say that a performance car has an eye towards lap times, even if it means sacrificing some level of driver involvement, whereas a sportscar is just about having fun. That's just me making up nonsense, though, so really who cares.

I'm hardly getting defensive but you've kinda of got my point. Why are we drawing some kind of imaginary "performance car" line. Performance Car is stupid term to begin with but it seems that some people in this thread are trying shit talk Mazda and the Miata for not pushing the car.

You say built for lap times but that again makes no sense without context. Do you mean STOCK lap times? Stock lap times where? What circuit? You surely don't mean tuned lap times.

The Miata and the Lotus family are the last of the light weight RWD cars. That should be more than enough to be celebrated as these cars don't exist anymore. Do you guys throw the same kind of shade at Lotus for only have a 130HP in their Elises? Much like the Miata they could do more they just choose not to. They leave it up to their huge aftermarket to take care of that.

What I'm getting at is that people in this threads ideas on what is a good car is, is all over the place. You need to make it clear what your barometers is for value in car. Is it tuned cars? Is it stock cars? Is it overall potential? Is it cost effective performance? Is it performance with in its class? Everyone should really think about these things before you got start comparing cars and then state them so people know where you stand.

Everyone should really think about these things before you got start comparing cars and then state them so people know where you stand.

OR we could just return to what this thread was 48 hours ago, which was people discussing their cars, asking for advice, posting great pictures and talking about their track experiences.

This sports car/performance car/sporty-fun car conversation is literally the dumbest conversation I've had in a week.

Everyone should just drive a Hyundai Elantra.

BTW, I parked it about 3 hours ago and I am sure it is still deciding if it wants to stay in 2nd or shift into 3rd.

AlphaSnake

All you guys talking about sportscars makes me want to go out and just fucking buy one again.

Who needs a new house right?

Deposit on my new land isn't exactly refundable doe...
:'(

AlphaSnake

What would you get... if you could get something?

Hmmm...depending on the price bracket:

~$60K: M4 Coupe 6MT Base | Corvette 7MT Z51
~$85K-100K: Jaguar F-Type R Coupe | Dodge Viper SRT

Although the absolute HORROR stories on the BMW forums about M4s being lemons out of the box has me shook.

Foreign money =/= USD.

Ever. If it's 32K there, it'll cost roughly the same here.

Yeah, I know. They'd have to be insane to release it at 50k lol.

But if it's around 32k it may have legs since it has a good 35ish extra HP over the WRX. If they make the US version AWD with Acuras powertrains...lawd.

Jackson

Didn't you write a huge article on the M4 being shit breh lol

Ya! And I was the same way. After a week of driving an M4 I decided I wouldn't buy one (not that I was going to anyway, but if I ever wanted to get a car in that class, it wasn't going to be the M4). I just didn't enjoy the experience.

Evo X

Bruh

what does it fucking feel like to be driving around in a red 2015 Cayman GTS at what....28? I need to know

Feels like ecstasy distilled into 2,900lbs of sheetmetal. I'm smiling like a maniac every time I'm in that thing. The looks, sound, and feel are on a whole 'nother level to what I'm used to.

Your awesome post about choosing red was one of the main reasons I went with it, and I am so fucking glad I did!

and I'm 26 btw.

Top Bottom