• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

matmanx1

Took my M56S in for a small recall (fuel sensors not torque correctly for some cars) and asked the dealer to check my transmission and transmission software. Shifts are occasionally weird, not quite how they are on other Nissan/Infiniti 7ATs (370Z, Q50, etc). Sure enough they found that the car had trans fluid overfilled from the factory...

by 1 quart.

Now over filling engine oil by that much usually isn't very noticeable at all. Or terribly problematic. But a transmission? That's a huge error. My line pressure was always wonky, as a result (which I've long suspected), and the torque converter wasn't operating properly. Anyways, it's all fixed now. I've decided to leave the car at the dealer to also repaint my front bumper (rock chipped to shit).

Wow! That kind of thing should not happen. Great that they finally figured it out though.

watched a supercharger install video for funsies (roush into a new mustang, figured it was the closest i could find to a video for the new f-150 given they're both the 5.0) and i would definitely not feel comfortable doing that on my own. there's a lot of shit like grinding down parts of the engine and modifying hoses/wiring harnesses i would not feel comfortable with doing at my level of mechanical experience. the trd part may be different, but if i was looking into that i'd get a shop to do it.

I'm pretty sure that if you let the dealer do it the entire thing is still covered under warranty. As in, it does not void the factory warranty of the truck. At least that is what I have been told.

Hey everyone, what does Gaf think about the W124 series of Mercedes automobiles? Specifically the 1993 version.

Recently found a 93 Mercedes Benz 300E with 125,000 miles, Automatic, 3.2L I6, and rear wheel drive. Looks like pic related except with Tan interior and headlight wipers.

Guy is selling it for about $4,000.

I've heard those are stellar cars and fairly bullet proof. If I wanted a cheap but luxurious daily driver I would look very hard at one of them. Do some google searching for "best old mercedes" and I guarantee that the W124 will come up on some of those lists.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone thoughts - Used 2003 Z06 on sale nearby w just over 10k miles. Looks like it's been very well take care of; hoping I could talk the guy into parting with it for 23-24k. Or a new Mustang GT or 370Z Nismo?

Edit: Or just keep waiting a year or so for the new 350. That car looks sexy. I'm sure once they've been out for a bit they'll be selling closing to MSRP.

Edit 2: Alpha - Does your Infiniti dealer have its own paint shop or they farming the work out to a local shop?

Anyone thoughts - Used 2003 Z06 on sale nearby w just over 10k miles. Looks like it's been very well take care of; hoping I could talk the guy into parting with it for 23-24k. Or a new Mustang GT or 370Z Nismo?

Edit: Or just keep waiting a year or so for the new 350. That car looks sexy. I'm sure once they've been out for a bit they'll be selling closing to MSRP.

What's your goal? Auto X, track driving, regular driving?

If the it's the first 2, then the C5Z will be the best option. There is a huge knowledge base on them, aftermarket parts can be purchased second hand without breaking the bank. I still have my 2002 Z06 with 120k miles and I can comfortably say it's one of the best feeling car to drive fast. It just communicates well, handles really good and is fun to drive without any electronics interference.

Having said that, for regular driving around town and road trips, you're better off with one of the new cars with all the conveniences and comforts. You need to first determine what use cases are important to you.

ruxtpin

Banned
It would be my second car. I have a 2014 GLI for daily driving. Z06 would be a fun car and potential project car. Same for the other choices.

Edit: whatever I do get will see autox, maybe track time eventually, and just be my weekend fun car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Edit 2: Alpha - Does your Infiniti dealer have its own paint shop or they farming the work out to a local shop?

They have a paint booth inside the shop, which is why I was comfortable with them doing it. Otherwise, I would have taken it somewhere myself.

Also, I vote 370Z Nismo. Can't stand the old interiors of old Vettes, how ugly they are, and how much they rattle.

Haven't heard great things about how the new Mustang 5.0s handle. The new-factor of the car is wearing off, and all of the follow-up reviews say it handles rather mediocre.

It would be my second car. I have a 2014 GLI for daily driving. Z06 would be a fun car and potential project car. Same for the other choices.

Edit: whatever I do get will see autox, maybe track time eventually, and just be my weekend fun car.

Z06 for sure. There's a ton of info out there on setup, tires, cheap go fast bits for autox/track.

I'm always tempted to sell my c6z and pick up a low mileage c5z and track prep it proper. I really enjoy the handling characteristics and feel of my c5z over my c6z.

Sonoma is pretty much in the heart of the bay area and a world class track. Thill is nice because I can attend private days with unlimited running and only 25 cars total. For me it's about a 1.5hr drive each way.

Heh, you're right, however for some reason my own personal bias instinctively doesn't consider anything north of san rafael to be Bay Area. I need to go up there one of these days.

Hey everyone, what does Gaf think about the W124 series of Mercedes automobiles? Specifically the 1993 version.

Recently found a 93 Mercedes Benz 300E with 125,000 miles, Automatic, 3.2L I6, and rear wheel drive. Looks like pic related except with Tan interior and headlight wipers.

Guy is selling it for about $4,000.

I'm biased since I own a '93 convertible as hobby and I just love this car. The reason might also be that I kind of grew up on the backseats of multiple 80s and 90s W124.

As '93 model it should already be the 2nd facelift of the series which is also the most evolved and refined version of the W124.
They are great and still drive surprisingly well, comfortable and reliable. It's in my opinion one of the last Mercedes build and designed by engineers and not by accountants. (With the R129 SL-Series as pinnacle is quality.)
On the mechanical side they are almost bulletproof.
In the German TÜV reports (technical check the car has to pass every 2 years to keep it registered) they are always under the most reliable used cars. More reliable than many only 8-10 year old modern cars.

If they are handled with common care and at least fresh oil from time to time the M104-engine will run almost forever. Only weak-spots of the engine (especially the 3.2l) I'm aware of, is the wiring harness that usually breaks after around 15-20 years / 100.000mls and needs to be replaced (the silicone-mantle of the wiring becomes hard and fissured due to the heat of the engine, leading problems with the ignition and misfires) If it needs to be done, it's quite easy to fix and will then last at least the next 20 years. Usually the engine still runs but doesn't run smooth. At this age and with 125000mls it is something that should already be replaced on the car in question. If not that is definitely something that might become a problem soon.
Another problem can be the head gasket if the car was frequently driven at high revs with a cold engine (usually leaking at the sternmost cylinder --> most heat).
As long as the engine is dry, the oil looks good and if the engine is running smooth it should be fine.
The automatic transmissions are also usually good for at least 250-300.000mls without bigger problems. They like a flush of the transmission fluid every 40-50000 miles and return the gesture with smooth shifting and a longer lifetime.
Also a look at the chassis isn't wrong. It's not the lightest car and the joints, wishbones and suspension had over 20 years of stress.

Depending on where you live rust can be problem, usually hidden behind the plastic side-skirts, check the openings for the car-jack. If there is rust on the car, it's exactly there ;-)
I also recommend a look for rust at the mountings of the rear axle.

But with all good things I could say about these cars, keep in mind, it still is a 22 year old used car that's driven around earth over 5 times. They are tough, but there is no guarantee that it wont have problems.

ruxtpin

Banned
They have a paint booth inside the shop, which is why I was comfortable with them doing it. Otherwise, I would have taken it somewhere myself.

Gotcha - I remember wanting to get my 370 front bumper repaired, but my local dealership didn't have a booth. Which I guess makes sense seeing as how Infiniti is more luxury oriented, and I can see a Nissan dealer not even caring.

Mistel

Banned
The MSRP for the GT350 and the GT350R via Hot Rod magazine:
Thanks to an unnamed dealership, Mustang6G user Satan got his hands on a copy of the 2016 GT350’s pricing sheet. The GT350 will have a base price of $47,870, a full $25,000 less than the $73,000 MSRP 2015 Camaro Z/28, the GT350’s most direct competitor. And that 900A/920A package for $13,500? That’s the radical GT350R package, adding unique touches like carbon-fiber wheels, carbon-ceramic brakes, and additional weight loss to the mix. This brings the estimated MSRP of the GT350R to $61,870, still a steal compared to the 2015 Z/28.

matmanx1

You're 12 hours late lol. It's all good though, Hot Rod Mag seems to have more info than Jalopnik.

Anyway, 50/50 weight distribution in action.

Loved the video and I love the philosophy behind the new Miata. I am a big fan of lightness and a big fan of 50/50 weight distribution in cars. Coming from the nose heavy G37 to the near perfect 50/50 distribution of my 128i (and loosing more than 500lbs of weight!) has been something of a revelation for me in my daily commute.

I hope the small, light simple sports car category never dies and I hope the new Miata is a huge success.

AlphaSnake

Loved the video and I love the philosophy behind the new Miata. I am a big fan of lightness and a big fan of 50/50 weight distribution in cars. Coming from the nose heavy G37 to the near perfect 50/50 distribution of my 128i (and loosing more than 500lbs of weight!) has been something of a revelation for me in my daily commute.

I hope the small, light simple sports car category never dies and I hope the new Miata is a huge success.

I wouldn't call a G37 nose heavy. Audis are nose heavy. But a 54/46 split is quite fine.

grkazan12

I'm biased since I own a '93 convertible as hobby and I just love this car. The reason might also be that I kind of grew up on the backseats of multiple 80s and 90s W124.

As '93 model it should already be the 2nd facelift of the series which is also the most evolved and refined version of the W124.
They are great and still drive surprisingly well, comfortable and reliable. It's in my opinion one of the last Mercedes build and designed by engineers and not by accountants. (With the R129 SL-Series as pinnacle is quality.)
On the mechanical side they are almost bulletproof.
In the German TÜV reports (technical check the car has to pass every 2 years to keep it registered) they are always under the most reliable used cars. More reliable than many only 8-10 year old modern cars.

If they are handled with common care and at least fresh oil from time to time the M104-engine will run almost forever. Only weak-spots of the engine (especially the 3.2l) I'm aware of, is the wiring harness that usually breaks after around 15-20 years / 100.000mls and needs to be replaced (the silicone-mantle of the wiring becomes hard and fissured due to the heat of the engine, leading problems with the ignition and misfires) If it needs to be done, it's quite easy to fix and will then last at least the next 20 years. Usually the engine still runs but doesn't run smooth. At this age and with 125000mls it is something that should already be replaced on the car in question. If not that is definitely something that might become a problem soon.
Another problem can be the head gasket if the car was frequently driven at high revs with a cold engine (usually leaking at the sternmost cylinder --> most heat).
As long as the engine is dry, the oil looks good and if the engine is running smooth it should be fine.
The automatic transmissions are also usually good for at least 250-300.000mls without bigger problems. They like a flush of the transmission fluid every 40-50000 miles and return the gesture with smooth shifting and a longer lifetime.
Also a look at the chassis isn't wrong. It's not the lightest car and the joints, wishbones and suspension had over 20 years of stress.

Depending on where you live rust can be problem, usually hidden behind the plastic side-skirts, check the openings for the car-jack. If there is rust on the car, it's exactly there ;-)
I also recommend a look for rust at the mountings of the rear axle.

But with all good things I could say about these cars, keep in mind, it still is a 22 year old used car that's driven around earth over 5 times. They are tough, but there is no guarantee that it wont have problems.

Thanks for the info Don, I will definitely keep all of this in mind when looking at it. I hope it all works out, I just like the design so much. It's simple, not gaudy. Timeless.

Jackson

Test drove the Tesla P85D.

Never in my life have I experienced such quickness from 0-25MPH. I knew it was quick. It's a 3.2sec 0-60MPH car. But the lack of mechanical parts needing to gain momentum just make the experience mind blowing.

It's literally hyper speed. I was not prepared.

It rapidly decelerates from warp speed to "normal" fast in the 30-60 range. I bet if it could keep its initial pace it'd probably be doing 0-60MPH in like the 1.5sec range.

It just destroys the GTR launch experience at the initial take off.

70-100 sux. The end. lol

AlphaSnake

Test drove the Tesla P85D.

Never in my life have I experienced such quickness from 0-25MPH. I knew it was quick. It's a 3.2sec 0-60MPH car. But the lack of mechanical parts needing to gain momentum just make the experience mind blowing.

It's literally hyper speed. I was not prepared.

It rapidly decelerates from warp speed to "normal" fast in the 30-60 range. I bet if it could keep its initial pace it'd probably be doing 0-60MPH in like the 1.5sec range.

It just destroys the GTR launch experience at the initial take off.

70-100 sux. The end. lol

The car's 1/4 mile times and trap speed makes it very clear it doesn't have very good top-end power.

Evo X

My GTS has been loaded onto the enclosed trailer today. There was a short delay due to Memorial Day weekend. Should be heading my way tomorrow. Current delivery ETA is Monday, fingers crossed.

The car's 1/4 mile times and trap speed makes it very clear it doesn't have very good top-end power.

Yeah, but who cares about top-end anyway? How often do you go over 100mph on the streets? It's a great commuter car, and has power where it matters, driving at legal speeds with the occasional overtake.

My GTS has been loaded onto the enclosed trailer today. There was a short delay due to Memorial Day weekend. Should be heading my way tomorrow. Current delivery ETA is Monday, fingers crossed.

Yeah, but who cares about top-end anyway? How often do you go over 100mph on the streets? It's a great commuter car, and has power where it matters, driving at legal speeds with the occasional overtake.

That's the thing. It's a practical sedan (HUGE and HEAVY), which makes the acceleration all the more impressive. And the power is good enough for daily driving. Pretty sure if you're going above 80 anyway you aren't driving efficiently for battery longevity.

Here's how it fares against the GTR. Spoiler, the GTR is still damned impressive, given how bad I've seen the P85D destroy other supercars on launch:

https://youtu.be/h97_HcwQBMA

matmanx1

I wouldn't call a G37 nose heavy. Audis are nose heavy. But a 54/46 split is quite fine.

You're right, my mistake. For some reason I was thinking it was closer to 60/40 or worse. It's really the weight difference and the shorter, smaller car that's making the handling feel so much different.

AlphaSnake

If you live in an area where faster highway speeds are tolerable, you'll love being able to hit 120MPH quickly. :)

Personally, the run to 120 is my metric for fun and powerful performance.

More Android Auto/Apple CarPlay news.
These 2016 Chevy models will ship with those systems starting this summer.
Camaro
Camaro Convertible
Colorado
Corvette
Corvette Convertible
Cruze
Impala
Malibu
Silverado
Silverado HD
Spark
Suburban
Tahoe
Volt

ascii42

More Android Auto/Apple CarPlay news.
These 2016 Chevy models will ship with those systems starting this summer.
Camaro
Camaro Convertible
Colorado
Corvette
Corvette Convertible
Cruze
Impala
Malibu
Silverado
Silverado HD
Spark
Suburban
Tahoe
Volt

Supporting both makes sense. I imagine that'll be the case with most cars with screens. I normally listen to CDs rather than my iPhone, I find CDs easier to mess with, but with this sort of integration, I'd probably be fine with the car not having a CD player.

Real talk review time!

"Punching above your weight" is a term coined in boxing where a boxer demonstrates ability that would likely to be found in higher weight classes than the one they compete in.

My wife was in need of a new car after her first car; 2007 Sonata GLS with 90k miles looked like a Mad Max set piece from all the bumps and bruises. I wanted her to get a SUV seeing that we have a 10month old and I need an excuse to run Hoosiers on my Z06 for track work thus I could tow my car to the track instead of driving it there and back. Selfish yet respectable reasoning, I say!

However, she insisted on wanting a good sedan and waiting on the SUV until we have our 2nd favorite child. So i started looking at the normal known entities of the accords, camrys, A4's, 3 series, etc.

When reading through reviews, a car kept popping up that I didn't know much about before. That car being a Madza 6. It was outright difficult to find negative talk about it and compared to the Accord and Camry, it won every head to head that I read. Then I started looking at the pricing and I thought to myself, there has to be a catch here somewhere. As you know, too good to be true generally holds true but sometimes....

Finally, we decided to test drive one and wouldn't you know it, the damn thing feels good to drive. After driving one, it was pretty clear to her and myself that this was going to be our gap car from now until the SUV. Upon more internet probing, I discovered that our timing was very good in that 2015 models still were around while the 2016's had hit the showrooms. This means, deal time. I gathered a few e-bids and came to a price over the phone and picked up a 2015 Mazda6 Touring for $20,300. We threw in the looper of wanting to trade in our Hyundai at the last second and we got what we feel was stupid money for it, considering the condition. If they manage to turn a good profit on it, good for them! as I was in no mood to deal with seedy underbelly of used car selling on craigslist.

Now for the car itself. I'm pleasantly surprised by all the comforts and conveniences that come with the Touring package; backup camera, dual zone A/C, infotainment with all that you'd expect of it, 19inch rims, leatherette classy interior with very good seats (much better than my 85k Z06!). However, the real winner are the driving dynamics of the car. It's got very good steering feel and turns in well. Given that it is a FWD, you'll be ultimately limited by understeer but you are able to really feel the front tires through the wheels so dialing it out is rather easy. Suspension is sporty but without any harshness. Body roll is controlled and the car doesn't feel lost when doing quick transitions.

The tires are likely the limiting factor of this car. The Dunlop's sequel too early, prove to be excessively noisy and are low on the grip side. Once they are worn out, I'll change them to something respectable and I expect the handling prowess to shine even more. At 185hp and 185tq, it's not a stop light champion but with Mazda's SkyActive system, it hardly feels gutless. Freeway passes are done with ease and the 7 speed auto transmission always seems to find the right gear for what you're hoping to accomplish.

Anyone in the market looking at either sedans or good commuters that can put a good smile when encountering some curves in the road will be served to atleast give it a test drive. Make sure your salesman finds you a few good turns to drive through.

But punching above your weight isn't about winning in your own class. It's about how well you can perform in the higher classes. That's why even for those in the market for a Lexus IS, Audi A4 and others would be well advised to put down the glass of boxed wine and give a good look at this up and comer. On rare occasions, to good to be true proves false.

Because pictures:
Crystal Blue Metallic with black interior

qNleQZ.jpg

I have two friends with nicely equipped Mazda 6s, one with everything possible, and they both absolutely love them. The one guy has never cared about cars at all but with the 6 he has a sudden interest in them.

They're just plain good.

Ty4on

I've never driven a Mazda, but the European press always brags about their handling. The newer ones also have great looking interiors.

matmanx1

Real talk review time!

"Punching above your weight" is a term coined in boxing where a boxer demonstrates ability that would likely to be found in higher weight classes than the one they compete in.

My wife was in need of a new car after her first car; 2007 Sonata GLS with 90k miles looked like a Mad Max set piece from all the bumps and bruises. I wanted her to get a SUV seeing that we have a 10month old and I need an excuse to run Hoosiers on my Z06 for track work thus I could tow my car to the track instead of driving it there and back. Selfish yet respectable reasoning, I say!

However, she insisted on wanting a good sedan and waiting on the SUV until we have our 2nd favorite child. So i started looking at the normal known entities of the accords, camrys, A4's, 3 series, etc.

When reading through reviews, a car kept popping up that I didn't know much about before. That car being a Madza 6. It was outright difficult to find negative talk about it and compared to the Accord and Camry, it won every head to head that I read. Then I started looking at the pricing and I thought to myself, there has to be a catch here somewhere. As you know, too good to be true generally holds true but sometimes....

Finally, we decided to test drive one and wouldn't you know it, the damn thing feels good to drive. After driving one, it was pretty clear to her and myself that this was going to be our gap car from now until the SUV. Upon more internet probing, I discovered that our timing was very good in that 2015 models still were around while the 2016's had hit the showrooms. This means, deal time. I gathered a few e-bids and came to a price over the phone and picked up a 2015 Mazda6 Touring for $20,300. We threw in the looper of wanting to trade in our Hyundai at the last second and we got what we feel was stupid money for it, considering the condition. If they manage to turn a good profit on it, good for them! as I was in no mood to deal with seedy underbelly of used car selling on craigslist.

Now for the car itself. I'm pleasantly surprised by all the comforts and conveniences that come with the Touring package; backup camera, dual zone A/C, infotainment with all that you'd expect of it, 19inch rims, leatherette classy interior with very good seats (much better than my 85k Z06!). However, the real winner are the driving dynamics of the car. It's got very good steering feel and turns in well. Given that it is a FWD, you'll be ultimately limited by understeer but you are able to really feel the front tires through the wheels so dialing it out is rather easy. Suspension is sporty but without any harshness. Body roll is controlled and the car doesn't feel lost when doing quick transitions.

The tires are likely the limiting factor of this car. The Dunlop's sequel too early, prove to be excessively noisy and are low on the grip side. Once they are worn out, I'll change them to something respectable and I expect the handling prowess to shine even more. At 185hp and 185tq, it's not a stop light champion but with Mazda's SkyActive system, it hardly feels gutless. Freeway passes are done with ease and the 7 speed auto transmission always seems to find the right gear for what you're hoping to accomplish.

Anyone in the market looking at either sedans or good commuters that can put a good smile when encountering some curves in the road will be served to atleast give it a test drive. Make sure your salesman finds you a few good turns to drive through.

But punching above your weight isn't about winning in your own class. It's about how well you can perform in the higher classes. That's why even for those in the market for a Lexus IS, Audi A4 and others would be well advised to put down the glass of boxed wine and give a good look at this up and comer. On rare occasions, to good to be true proves false.

Because pictures:
Crystal Blue Metallic with black interior

Congratulations! I am sort of hoping to talk my wife in to one of these when she's ready to replace her Altima. My local CarMax actually had a 2014 Touring with the 6 speed manual a month or so ago. I don't think it lasted a week on the lot.

I am very impressed with what Mazda is doing with their cars. If the 6 had another, more powerful engine choice I think it would easily compete with the 3 series/IS 250/Q whatever from Infiniti.

I've had the Mazda3 since last year. So happy I decided to dump the Chevy Cruze. Great mileage, adequate power, great driving dynamics, and a good amount of features. Only small regret was not going for the Touring model. I went with the Sport.

Just ordered Stoptech pads and SS lines! Also Motul RBF600 too! Can't wait. :)

stoptech-brake-pads-aftermarket-500x500.jpg

It's a bit more but I'd highly recommend castrol Srf over motul. It'll last much longer and never has an issue with heating up and such. Whoever bleeds your brakes, make sure they bleed through the abs also or you'll have that old fluid blend in when abs engages. Atleast that's how it is on the vettes.

I've tried RBF600 also just FYI. If it's just for street usage, either will be fine.

rokkerkory

It's a bit more but I'd highly recommend castrol Srf over motul. It'll last much longer and never has an issue with heating up and such. Whoever bleeds your brakes, make sure they bleed through the abs also or you'll have that old fluid blend in when abs engages. Atleast that's how it is on the vettes.

I've tried RBF600 also just FYI. If it's just for street usage, either will be fine.

Me and buncha guys are doing wrench day so we'll be flushing the fluids completely. My car isnt a track car so no worries with boiling! Can't wait!

Bring back the turbo'd Mazdaspeed6 with AWD.

I'd love for this to happen but I actually don't believe they will.

The second golden age of hot hatches is incoming... Focus RS and Civic Type R. Knowing Mazda, they're probably gonna skip the Focus ST/Civic Si, and just jump into the batshit insane... which I actually don't mind at all. I don't know about y'all but an AWD 300hp Mazdaspeed3 sounds tasty.

But if it does become real... I predict it'll be a road-going version of the current GTD Prototype running in the TUDOR USC. So yeah, it'll be a turbo-diesel and all that so I'm not sure how it'll appeal to the Mazdaspeed crowd. They even had a couple of Mazda6's running the GTD Prototype engines in the Rolex GX class a few years ago, but ever since the consolidation of the USC, they killed it off and replaced it with the current GTD cars.

It's actually going to be really interesting to see what Mazda can bring to the table now that the new Miata is about to be released. I've read rumors of a concept Mazdaspeed3 slated for December... but I honestly don't believe that's all they've got.

New RX-7 pls pls pls pls.

otapnam

I'd love for this to happen but I actually don't believe they will.

The second golden age of hot hatches is incoming... Focus RS and Civic Type R. Knowing Mazda, they're probably gonna skip the Focus ST/Civic Si, and just jump into the batshit insane... which I actually don't mind at all. I don't know about y'all but an AWD 300hp Mazdaspeed3 sounds tasty.

But if it does become real... I predict it'll be a road-going version of the current GTD Prototype running in the TUDOR USC. So yeah, it'll be a turbo-diesel and all that so I'm not sure how it'll appeal to the Mazdaspeed crowd. They even had a couple of Mazda6's running the GTD Prototype engines in the Rolex GX class a few years ago, but ever since the consolidation of the USC, they killed it off and replaced it with the current GTD cars.

It's actually going to be really interesting to see what Mazda can bring to the table now that the new Miata is about to be released. I've read rumors of a concept Mazdaspeed3 slated for December... but I honestly don't believe that's all they've got.

New RX-7 pls pls pls pls.

The cx9 with rumored 2.5 turbo will debut at LA so we'll see what the ms3 will probably be working with there. I'm just hoping the engine will find its way into the '17 cx5

matmanx1

I finally got my GoPro Hero hooked up and played around with it. For $130 I'm pretty happy, and it should be rad at the track on Sunday. That said, enjoy a video of me being dumb and playing with the different housings to see how they affected the audio.

https://youtu.be/H7PlObCB_YI

Edit: Man I am way too big for that car.

Your SC sounds fantastic. I'm guessing that isn't the stock exhaust? Looks like the GoPro is working well. The audio was nice and clear and the image quality was very good.

Your SC sounds fantastic. I'm guessing that isn't the stock exhaust? Looks like the GoPro is working well. The audio was nice and clear and the image quality was very good.

Thanks! The only thing I've done is replace the cat with a test pipe, which added a bit of snarl. I'm pretty surprised with the base Hero. I thought that the audio would be pretty shitty past 40mph but it doesn't start to get noticeably muffled until about 60-70, even with the housing on that's open to wind.

But now that I've figured it out it's supposed to pour at the track all day long tomorrow. Fingers crossed the weather turns...fucking michigan.

Jackson

Watched video. I am really impressed with the innovation and design of the new Ford GT. I'm really curious about the curb weight though, since Ford is making such a big deal about power to weight ratio.

I think they're making a bigger deal about the lighter aerodynamic footprint of the GT more so than the weight. That's their big innovation. Plenty of high-end super cars use carbon fiber everything to reduce weight. Ford is reducing the car's physical outline to basically block less wind. Will it work? Time will tell, but the concept makes a lot of sense to me.

I will say I was kind of annoyed that CNET showed the McLaren P1/FLF/918 in comparison B-roll footage. This is a $400k car, not a $1m+ car. It has 600-odd HP, not 900+ HP. It's a Lamborghini Aventador or Ferarri F12 fighter. I'm not even a Ford fanboy, but it seems unfair to compare the GT to a current hyper car. Cool vid though.

Top Bottom