• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
On a work trip and was given a 2015 GMC Acadia for my rental.

I've driven most the common rentals over the last couple years: Impala, Fusion, Altima, Explorer, Tahoe, Mustang, Camaro, Edge, etc, etc.

But I have to comment on this Acadia. It's spacious. It has a lot of creature comforts. The interior quality is decent. The driver seat is comfortable and in a good position.

But holy shit does this thing have the absolutely most LIFELESS steering I've ever used. I'm not a fan of electric steering, but I don't often hate it. But this thing is just terrible. I'm moving around this multi-ton boat of an SUV with third row seats and lifted off the ground, and I get zero feedback. I can't feel the road. I don't get resistance from the turns. The entire steering radius is perfectly linear, I can twist at a dead stop with a light glide of my pinky. I hit the smallest bump, though, while on the freeway and my car jerks into a different direction.

Feels like ecstasy distilled into 2,900lbs of sheetmetal. I'm smiling like a maniac every time I'm in that thing. The looks, sound, and feel are on a whole 'nother level to what I'm used to.

Your awesome post about choosing red was one of the main reasons I went with it, and I am so fucking glad I did!

and I'm 26 btw.

chris-tucker-20060507-128351.jpg

Smokey

Feels like ecstasy distilled into 2,900lbs of sheetmetal. I'm smiling like a maniac every time I'm in that thing. The looks, sound, and feel are on a whole 'nother level to what I'm used to.

Your awesome post about choosing red was one of the main reasons I went with it, and I am so fucking glad I did!

and I'm 26 btw.

Red. Seriously. You are getting a gt4 GTS breh stop trying to hide it. Think of the kids. They see a red gt4 GTS and in their head they're like fuuuuuuck (too young to curse in front of parents) I want that. They then spend their lives remembering that car, working in an occupation to afford such car, therefore contributing to the economy. None of this happens if the car is white.

So red it is. You're welcome.

I feel honored

and I'm 26 btw.

What the fuck.

I'm turning 25 in 2 months and I haven't even had my big boy job yet. I mean I get paid decent amounts in my current job where I'm able to afford my bills and Miata mod money, but this isn't what I went to school for lol.

And even when I get my "big boy" job I'll be stuck at the bottom of the totem pole for a while until I can move up and make proper bank. :(

Maybe I should just sell drugs so I can join the Auto-GAF Porsche club.

Evo X

What the fuck.

I'm turning 25 in 2 months and I haven't even had my big boy job yet. I mean I get paid decent amounts in my current job where I'm able to afford my bills and Miata mod money, but this isn't what I went to school for lol.

And even when I get my "big boy" job I'll be stuck at the bottom of the totem pole for a while until I can move up and make proper bank. :(

Maybe I should just sell drugs so I can join the Auto-GAF Porsche club.

I have owned one business or another for the past 13 years, not like I got some entry level gig out of college that let's me afford this shit. It's been super stressful at times, and I've had to make sacrifices in other areas of my life, but it's been worth it for the personal freedom.

Really slim chance of getting rich working a traditional job TBH.

I have owned one business or another for the past 13 years, not like I got some entry level gig out of college that let's me afford this shit. It's been super stressful at times, and I've had to make sacrifices in other areas of my life, but it's been worth it for the personal freedom.

Really slim chance of getting rich working a traditional job TBH.

I hear ya.

My radio/TV degree could take me to really good places but the problem is that, for the moment, I'm unwilling to move out of DFW and really start at the bottom of the barrel. I'm sure if I look for gigs in the middle of nowhere I'd be able to start there immediately and go up through the ranks and come back to DFW. It's pretty much those sacrifices I'm unwilling to make that's holding me back right now.

I'm gonna give it another 6 months tbh, and if I still can't find shit here in DFW, then looks like I'll be headed to the middle of nowhere, where I'm probably gonna be the only Asian guy in a population of 2,000 lol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Didn't you write a huge article on the M4 being shit breh lol

No?

You should read that review again and a little closer. The car has faults, but one of the biggest ones was its price tag. I said as much. I even specified I'd take the car base since it comes with pretty much everything you need, and that all of the other options on the car I drove were absolutely pointless.

At $72K+ I would never buy an M4. At $60K I'd highly consider it.

matmanx1

and I'm 26 btw.

Livin the dream! It's good that someone gets to have and buy the toys that the rest of us aspire to. Enjoy it and I mean that sincerely.

My 2015 Sonata with the 7-speed DCT is actually pretty good about shifting.
4Head.png

Well if it takes more than 4 hours to make up its mind it's certainly not a performance car.

In spite of the car and contrary to all national surveys and statistics, I loved driving around the DC/Northern Virginia areas. Great roads (everything is great compared to MI roads I guess). Drivers seemed decent and no left lane hogs. Should have driven my own car down. Only weird thing was seeing all those wide open 8 lane interstates and a 55mph speed limit.

Oh, and Enterprise almost screwed me over. I saw two noticeable scrapes while picking it up but the agent said it doesn't count as damage and wouldn't list it on the print-out. But the guy taking the returns started grumbling. Thankfully I had timestamped pictures. I guess I should be somewhat grateful I got a free "upgrade" to an Elantra from a Chevy Sonic.

Evo X

I hear ya.

My radio/TV degree could take me to really good places but the problem is that, for the moment, I'm unwilling to move out of DFW and really start at the bottom of the barrel. I'm sure if I look for gigs in the middle of nowhere I'd be able to start there immediately and go up through the ranks and come back to DFW. It's pretty much those sacrifices I'm unwilling to make that's holding me back right now.

I'm gonna give it another 6 months tbh, and if I still can't find shit here in DFW, then looks like I'll be headed to the middle of nowhere, where I'm probably gonna be the only Asian guy in a population of 2,000 lol.

Do what you gotta do to advance your career man. I know someone leaving all of her friends and family behind and moving halfway across the country because there are better pharmacy jobs available there.

You can always come back when you have some experience under your belt, but the first few years are critical, and you have to make some sacrifices.

Here's some inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU

Livin the dream! It's good that someone gets to have and buy the toys that the rest of us aspire to. Enjoy it and I mean that sincerely.

Thanks buddy. :)

Smokey

No?

You should read that review again and a little closer. The car has faults, but one of the biggest ones was its price tag. I said as much. I even specified I'd take the car base since it comes with pretty much everything you need, and that all of the other options on the car I drove were absolutely pointless.

At $72K+ I would never buy an M4. At $60K I'd highly consider it.

Honestly, this car pisses me off so much because I WANT to like it more than I actually do. But I can't. Arghh

The BMW M4 is a car I've been really looking forward to driving. I see them all over my town here in Central Florida and the urge simply gets stronger and stronger to jump into one. I finally got my chance and surprisingly I wasn't completely blown away

Now bear in mind, I'm not dogging the car for its decreased ability to spin, I'm simply pointing out a compromise BMW has made. Having said that, purely objectively, I do feel as if this motor isn't especially M-worthy. Or, at least, not M3/M4 worthy

n the process of gaining torques, losing weight, becoming fuel efficient, and gaining twin-turbos, the M-car has also lost quite a bit of its soul. It's character, if you will. That visceral and connected feeling of the past M-cars is gone

This may not be the words people want to rear, but my conclusion…wait for the new C63 and ATS-V if you're open to driving something without a blue and white roundel.

based on these things....if you could choose anything to buy a M4 wouldn't come to mind when i think of you

FStop7

Banned
As someone who's been through four M cars over the years... the M4 is a decent car but it's a bad M car. It's lackluster, uninspired, and badly overpriced.

AlphaSnake

based on these things....if you could choose anything to buy a M4 wouldn't come to mind when i think of you

That's one it's only one of many cars on my list. I never said it's a frontrunner, either. I like the fact that it's powerful and has a great MT option. I wouldn't pay any more than that. And chances are, if I test drove a Vette Z51...I'd probably want the Vette more anyway.

Also, all of the things I said about the car are true. It doesn't necessarily make it a bad car. It's just missing some of that BMW magic of yore.

Edit: And the C63 AMG Coupe isn't out yet, either. So I couldn't pick that.

So supposedly this is the power retractable hard top of the new Miata:

The Japanese text says something along the lines of "next fall" or whatever.

I really hope Mazda confirms this soon, because if that's coming here next year... I'm gonna put all my mod money aside and save it for this thing instead. Even better is that we'll have enough time for the aftermarket to create some parts so it'll be even better by then.

Do what you gotta do to advance your career man. I know someone leaving all of her friends and family behind and moving halfway across the country because there are better pharmacy jobs available there.

You can always come back when you have some experience under your belt, but the first few years are critical, and you have to make some sacrifices.

Here's some inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU

Yeah, I'm giving it until December of this year. If I really can't find shit by then, then I'll probably be posted up in the middle of bumfnck nowhere. The good thing about DFW is that it's in the top 10 markets for radio/TV so the jobs are here, it's just the competition that's screwing the pooch. But it's certainly possible to get something here.

Don't have kids.

Don't get married.

Those are why you can't have nice things.

Ain't that the truth.

Don't have kids and no plans of tying the knot either as there is no "other" right now lol.

Why do y'all think I have so much Miata mod money?

Jackson

I really hope Mazda confirms this soon, because if that's coming here next year... I'm gonna put all my mod money aside and save it for this thing instead. Even better is that we'll have enough time for the aftermarket to create some parts so it'll be even better by then.

I'm really digging this car. Even more so with that HT! In a few years when all the mods are out for it, it's gonna be HELLA FLUSH really special.

rokkerkory

Yeah, I'm giving it until December of this year. If I really can't find shit by then, then I'll probably be posted up in the middle of bumfnck nowhere. The good thing about DFW is that it's in the top 10 markets for radio/TV so the jobs are here, it's just the competition that's screwing the pooch. But it's certainly possible to get something here.

Ain't that the truth.

Don't have kids and no plans of tying the knot either as there is no "other" right now lol.

Why do y'all think I have so much Miata mod money?

Damn nice wonder how much more weight? Also if they will have more powerful version!

matmanx1

Don't have kids.

Don't get married.

Those are why you can't have nice things.

Actually, the don't get married can go either way. A great partner who shares your interests and is a good worker/earner (like my wife!) is only going to improve your financial situation. It's simple math. Two good earners will always have more money making and saving power than one. The trick is to find a good one. And I say that it is worth the effort to look for a good one!

Yeah my ex-wife made almost no money and refused to even consider having kids. Eventually I was like "Okay, am I just paying for you to hang around or what?" Nah I'm joking, that came after the divorce when I was looking back at the situation.

Which makes me ask why anybody would want a trophy wife. Trophy girlfriend or mistress? You bet. Trophy wife? Get the fuck outta here.

I'm really digging this car. Even more so with that HT! In a few years when all the mods are out for it, it's gonna be HELLA FLUSH really special.

Hahaha, that's the first thing I'm gonna fix when I get it... the ride height is too high. It won't be flushed like those crazies, but it'll be decently lowered.

Damn nice wonder how much more weight? Also if they will have more powerful version!

Not sure about a powerful version, but IIRC the current hardtop for the NC adds about 60+ pounds compared to the soft top. And knowing Mazda's "gram strategy" I'd imagine it won't be as heavy compared to the NC.

orly? then who is that in your avatar? ;)

Also, is that Miata a hardtop convertible, fixed roof, or targa?

That gal is just some pyt in a unsuccessful Korean pop group. Been thinking of changing it to a real fave, but I've been too busy to find a good pic or two lol.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a hardtop convertible. AFAIK, the ND's soft top structure is a carry-over from the NC and ours have a dedicated compartment where our soft top goes in and not inside the trunk. The same compartment is used for the hardtop vert, so I'm willing to bet it's literally gonna be the same.

ruxtpin

Banned
Is it just me, or is that YT ad with the guy talking about his sports car and book collection annoying as fuck?

"Ya know what's nice, my Lamborghini here and driving it through Hollywood. Derp. But you know what else is nice, my gigantic book collection."

what a jag

mkenyon

Banned
Is it just me, or is that YT ad with the guy talking about his sports car and book collection annoying as fuck?

"Ya know what's nice, my Lamborghini here and driving it through Hollywood. Derp. But you know what else is nice, my gigantic book collection."

what a jag
Get AdBlock, and whitelist NeoGAF.

Man, I would go for that.....

Making us married with children folks feel bad. I wouldn't trade my kids in for any car in the world and I even got to sit very uncomfortably in a McLaren CanAM car driving around Elkart.

I can't make my cars hella flush since I am around bumpy, mountainous roads and there are too many driveways with sharp inclines. Also SF is not a place that is low ride height friendly.

Jackson

evo's review of the GT3RS.

Not only did it set a new production car lap record at the Blister Berg circuit, but also makes an incredible street car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZRKZsm8krc

Let's start an AutoGAF pool to buy one. lol

If you mean incredibly stiff tgat scraps every minor incline while feeling every spine crunching bump. Also whilst being obnoxiously loud due to lack of sound damping, exhaust and road noise from track tires. And also while lacking a rear seat (replaced by a rollcage), AC, door handles, adjustable seats or a stereo.

Then yes it's an incredible street car. :p

You couldn't DD this. It'd be a nightmare. Great weekend/track car though.

Probably the best looking modern 911 ever too. So aggressive!

AlphaSnake

Actually, the don't get married can go either way. A great partner who shares your interests and is a good worker/earner (like my wife!) is only going to improve your financial situation. It's simple math. Two good earners will always have more money making and saving power than one. The trick is to find a good one. And I say that it is worth the effort to look for a good one!

Yeah my ex-wife made almost no money and refused to even consider having kids. Eventually I was like "Okay, am I just paying for you to hang around or what?" Nah I'm joking, that came after the divorce when I was looking back at the situation.

Which makes me ask why anybody would want a trophy wife. Trophy girlfriend or mistress? You bet. Trophy wife? Get the fuck outta here.

Truth.

I'm glad my wife knows how much cars mean to me (and thankfully she loves them herself). Also happy she's got a pretty decent job and actually enjoys working.

Thanks guys. Here's some more pics I snapped with my phone. Having a ton of fun with it so far, and I will never get tired of that exhaust noise.

Valentine One helps with the cops, since they can hear it coming a mile away. lol
Beautiful car man, congrats. A Cayman was also one of my favorites as I was looking for a new car, but endet up ordering the europe version of the new Mustang GT

Momentary

Banned
Truth.

I'm glad my wife knows how much cars mean to me (and thankfully she loves them herself). Also happy she's got a pretty decent job and actually enjoys working.

Amen to that. I couldn't afford or deal with someone who just brought looks to the table. My wife works hard and loves her cars.

As for the Cayman GT4. I might as well hang that shit up. Hopefully one of these rich fellas will trade one in after owning it for a few months. There's a regular GT3 already back at Foreign Cars Italia with 600miles on it, but it's a bit too much. They want $160,000 for it. Gonna need to get some more years under my belt before moving up to that class of car.

xJavonta

Banned
this thread makes me want to get into the working world right now. fuckin school. you guys have some really nice cars in here, especially Evo X's new Cayman, wow

Evo X

this thread makes me want to get into the working world right now. fuckin school. you guys have some really nice cars in here, especially Evo X's new Cayman, wow

Thanks bro. Work hard and keep at it! You'll get there someday.

On the topic of the Cayman, the switchable exhaust mode is fucking amazing. Just had a funny encounter on the way back from the gym tonight.

I was going down a road and had it in full loud mode, revved it out a bit in 1st and 2nd to hear it roar and backfire. As I am about to make a left turn at the light, my radar detector goes off. I immediately put everything in comfort/quite mode, make the turn, and gently start cruising.

I see a police car pull out from a parking lot about a quarter mile up the road and thought "oh shit."

To my surprise, he totally ignores my now civilized car and races right past me looking to catch the loud sports car that was making all that noise on the next street over. lmao.

So I sold my car yesterday (!). Sold it for the same price I bought it 8 years ago, not too bad. Gonna miss my foxbody mustang but I'm definitely ready to have a more modern car.

I'm looking pretty seriously at the '15 Golf GTI S. Does anyone here have a GTI or used to that wants to share their thoughts? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to cars but I'm trying to learn more.

I'm looking pretty seriously at the '15 Golf GTI S. Does anyone here have a GTI or used to that wants to share their thoughts? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to cars but I'm trying to learn more.

I don't own one, but I drove several GTIs when picking out a car this year. The only thing that held me back was our prior (terrible) experience with VW, and the wife put her foot down. Great seating position, fantastic handling for FWD, engine has more than enough power for almost all needs. Infotainment system was a little laggy, but I believe that's being corrected with an upgraded one shortly.

I enjoyed both the manual and the DSG, and I'm normally not a fan of automatics.

Between breaking my back working on the track 944 (fuck you, 32 year old bushings in rusted hardware) and constantly relocating for work, I'm halfway tempted to sell all of my vehicles and buy a brand new, fully optioned Volvo S60.

I won't, of course, but the want is real.

Between breaking my back working on the track 944 (fuck you, 32 year old bushings in rusted hardware) and constantly relocating for work, I'm halfway tempted to sell all of my vehicles and buy a brand new, fully optioned Volvo S60.

I won't, of course, but the want is real.

Move to the best coast (NorCal specifically) and rent track cars year around on the best tracks around.

Top Bottom