• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
Saw an AMG GT S on the street in LA. I don't think they're officially "out", yet. Very good looking car, much better than the SLS.

They are. There's one for sale up here.

http://www.mbseattle.com/seattle-ne...YJAJA8GA000772/~/ModelActual_~ExteriorColor_/

It looks a lot better than the SLS and interior is gorgeous.

Forget that AMG... this is the more interesting car out of their entire selection:

http://www.mbseattle.com/seattle-us...Price1/VehicleTypeID_9~Price1_~Make_~Model_/9

This thing looks almost immaculate from the pictures and for $13k?!

If I was in the market for a cheap ass reliable car right now, I think I'd be getting this instead.

Evo X

WOOOO!!!

Just took delivery of the new Porsche! :D

It's pretty much fully loaded. The GTS already comes standard with Sport Chrono, PASM, Sport Plus seats, 20" Carrera S wheels, leather/alcantara interior, and aerokit.

But in addition to those, this one has the following options

GT exclusive color, Carmine Red

PDK transmission

Sport Suspension, same as on the upcoming Spyder, 20mm lower than Cayman S.

PTV, torque vectoring limited slip dif

Bose Infotainment system with Nav and Bluetooth

and finally, a fire extinguisher. lol

It's kind of overcast right now, so more pics in the coming week. Here's a quick one for now.

cS731aN.jpg

WOOOO!!!

It's pretty much fully loaded. The GTS already comes standard with Sport Chrono, PASM, Sport Plus seats, 20" Carrera S wheels, leather/alcantara interior, and aerokit.

PDK transmission

It's kind of overcast right now, so more pics in the coming week. Here's a quick one for now.

cS731aN.jpg

Beautiful! Congrats man, I knew you'd get red lol.

RED?!

YESSSSSSSSS!!

Question though, why the PDK?

And no this isn't me crusading against automatics or whatever, I'm just curious as I seem to remember that you wanted the GT4 due to the fact that it came with a manual tranny.

Evo X

Forgot to mention the swiveling Bi-Xenons. They're awesome going through some twisties at night. The highbeam is also like having a portable sun at your disposal. lol

Only drove it a short time, but I can already feel how much better this is than my 2011 Boxster S in every way imaginable.

Beautiful! Congrats man, I knew you'd get red lol.

Love the matte wheels. Congrats, its a beauty!

Nice car! Great colour choice as well

Thanks bros. :D

RED?!

YESSSSSSSSS!!

Question though, why the PDK?

And no this isn't me crusading against automatics or whatever, I'm just curious as I seem to remember that you wanted the GT4 due to the fact that it came with a manual tranny.

I wanted the GT4 because it was a fucking GT4. lol. Transmission was irrelevant.

I love PDK, and it will be better for me since this is going to be my daily driver in the summer. I hated driving stick in traffic or coming back from the gym after leg day.

It also has shorter gearing than the 6spd manual, so acceleration should be a tad faster, especially with the near instant shift times. On the racetrack, it will help me focus on the driving lines instead of worrying about shifting. I snapped my Boxster S transmission cable when I was racing my brother in law's M3 by shifting too quick. That won't be possible now.

Finally, since these cars are so rare, it was damn near impossible to find one with the color and options I wanted, so when I saw this perfectly specced car, I jumped on it. Had to pay an additional $1,500 to get it shipped all the way from Massachusetts in an enclosed truck, but it was definitely worth it!

I wanted the GT4 because it was a fucking GT4. lol. Transmission was irrelevant.

I love PDK, and it will be better for me since this is going to be my daily driver in the summer. I hated driving stick in traffic or coming back from the gym after leg day.

It also has shorter gearing than the 6spd manual, so acceleration should be a tad faster, especially with the near instant shift times. On the racetrack, it will help me focus on the driving lines instead of worrying about shifting. I snapped my Boxster S transmission cable when I was racing my brother in law's M3 by shifting too quick. That won't be possible now.

Finally, since these cars are so rare, it was damn near impossible to find one with the color and options I wanted, so when I saw this perfectly specced car, I jumped on it. Had to pay an additional $1,500 to get it shipped all the way from Massachusetts in an enclosed truck, but it was definitely worth it!

I kinda knew racing would have a hand with the tranny choice, this just confirms it lol.

It's reasons like these that are helping me warm up to DCT's actually. A year or two ago I would've shat on you for picking a PDK over a stick, but after experiencing BMW's fantastic DCT a couple of weeks ago, I can't say I still hate them. Actually, any decent automatic these days that have the ability to change gears really quickly is winning me over.

I've been driving my brother's Mazda CX-5 the last week and it's auto transmission, still a real torque converter btw, is one of the best thing's I've ever used. Step on the gas and it'll downshift for you really quick and pretty much just rocket you to wherever. Enabling sport mode on it even holds the gears longer, like a proper race car. And mind y'all this is a damn 3400lbs SUV lol.

I'd still definitely take a manual tranny over an auto tbh, especially in a low-powered car like a Miata/FR-S/whatever, but for a high-powered car... I'd probably think it over first before I decide.

Anyway, enough tranny talk...

Congrats man!!

Now we just need to add you on the exclusive Auto-GAF red sportscar club. We do have one right??

Jackson

WOOOO!!!

PDK transmission

cS731aN.jpg

Congrats! Happy for you! It's been a ton of fun.

Protip: Get this.

porsche%20clear%20led%20side%20marker%20boxster%20cayman%20carrera%20911%20turbo%20gt3%202013%202014%202015%20gts.jpg

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991LEDSIDES.html?Category_Code=981CGTSEXTERIORLI

grendelrt

Thanks!

Yeah, those sidemarkers are the first thing on my mod list. Will get them asap.

Congrats on the car! Those lenses and sun visor are the first things I bought. If you are doing your own oil pick up the filter tool at the same time to save on shipping.

matmanx1

WOOOO!!!

PDK transmission

cS731aN.jpg

Red!! I knew it! Looks fantastic, Evo, congrats bro. The Carmine red is a fantastic color, especially with those wheels. You are going to enjoy the heck out of that thing.

Attention: People who think the 155-hp engine in the new Mazda Miata, prepare to eat some fncking crow!

Per Motor Trend

Day two starts at our test track, where the 155-hp MX-5 covers the 60-mph dash in 5.8 seconds, a half second quicker than the Subie and 0.3 second quicker than the previous 167-hp Miata (despite 10 percent taller gearing).

Per Car and Driver:

We managed to crack the six-second barrier at the test track, recording a 5.9-second sprint to 60 mph and 16.2 seconds to 100. Even the turbocharged second-generation Mazdaspeed Miata can’t hang with this thing: It took 18.3 seconds to hit the century mark when we tested it in 2004.

All these reviews are seriously making me want a ND right now... thank god Mazda delayed the release of the retractable hard top, otherwise I'd be at the dealership putting an order down right now.

negitoro7

Spent a fair bit of time last night at 12:01am watching and reading ND Miata reviews when the embargo lifted. If you haven't, check out Autoguide and Motormouth video reviews too.

Was tempted to trade in for one, but going Stage 2 with my GTI tmr and plan on enjoying it for at least a few more years.

FStop7

Banned
What are the big differences between the Cayman GTS and the Cayman S?

I'm still thinking about what to replace my M6 with. I still want something smaller, lighter, RWD, stick shift.

Cayman S/GTS and Jag Type F seem to be the best fits unless I were to get an older 911.

It has almost the same torque as the Toyobaru and weighs, what, 400+ lbs less? Not shocked at all.

I'm not shocked as well. I'm just excited to see people eat crow after dismissing it for a having a puny engine.

I understand it's not gonna sell like hotcakes like the Toyobaru twins initially did but goddamn Mazda just put the twins on blast right now. Maybe finally they'll be forced to step up on put out an STi/TRD version.
.. Only to be one-upped by a Mazdaspeed Miata lol.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd jump on that Miata over the BRZ, but where would she sit?

Great to see those kinds of performance numbers though. All about that light weight and driving experience. Amirite AutoGAF? :p
WOOOO!!!

Grats! Looks gorgeous, and as stated above, those wheels look stunning on it.

matmanx1

Attention: People who think the 155-hp engine in the new Mazda Miata, prepare to eat some fncking crow!

Per Motor Trend

Per Car and Driver:

All these reviews are seriously making me want a ND right now... thank god Mazda delayed the release of the retractable hard top, otherwise I'd be at the dealership putting an order down right now.

My jaw is on the floor. I expected high 6's or low 7's. And this, my friends, is what low weight and better aerodynamics will do for you. Well done, Mazda!

Edit for this gem of a quote from the MotorTrend article: "Drivers now have lost all memory of what light Lotuses and little MGs were like to drive. These cars are a refresher course in their glories." Trust us: It is more fun to drive a slow car fast. And fun is the object here.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests..._vs_2015_subaru_brz_comparison/#ixzz3bpctiXNp

Nailed it!

I understand it's not gonna sell like hotcakes like the Toyobaru twins initially did but goddamn Mazda just put the twins on blast right now. Maybe finally they'll be forced to step up on put out an STi/TRD version.
.. Only to be one-upped by a Mazdaspeed Miata lol.

I feel that Subaru are trapped here - if they substantially increase the power, they have to charge more than the WRX and offer far less utility. The BRZ list price is right on top of the WRX as it is.

They overpriced this car because they thought the market would pay it - which they did for the first 18 months - and now they're stuck.

Why are people surprised at those times for the new Miata. The ND was always going to be better than the NC and faster. Those times seem completely normal for a car of its power to weight ratio.

I'd jump on that Miata over the BRZ, but where would she sit?

I'd jump on that Miata over the BRZ if I didn't hate convertibles.
And waiting for a more powered BRZ has given me more time to shoot for something a bit more expensive at this point as well.

J-Rzez

It's 2015, that's not impressive. Not to mention when you're driving the car and it has squat for midrange, which is necessary at times since you can't keep it full-tilt at all times no matter what. That said they will sell everyone they make especially to young women and retired folk because it is a good looking, cheap convertible.

Grats Evo on the new ride btw.

Makki

A lower redline, more torque down low and only 155 out of a 2 liter which is unheard of for a sport labeled car. Why didn't they just give it a diesel engine? It's a disappointment overshadowed by the wonderful engineering the rest of the car received, and it's a shame the media is willing to cut it a break given that this platform deserved some R&D for something better like the 1.5L that the US doesnt get, which with a turbo should have allowed it to easily hit 180 and be way more "fun". The car sounds like a blast but no one in the press has been talking about the grandfather under the hood without making some remark beforehand to justify how underwhelming it is given its competition and the history of sports oriented 2.0 engines before it.

It is perfectly built for it's intended audience though since its mostly white hairs that buy them anyway, because who would want to hear an engine scream for power right? (This is hurt coming from an owner of a NA for 7 years. This new model deserved better, not well placed excuses to draw away from the heart of the car)

Why didn't they just give it a diesel engine?

Because they actually wanted it to sell in North America (see also: why we don't get the 1.5L)

It's a disappointment overshadowed by the wonderful engineering the rest of the car received, and it's a shame the media is willing to cut it a break given that this platform deserved some R&D for something better like the 1.5L that the US doesnt get, which with a turbo should have allowed it to easily hit 180 and be way more "fun".

The car is a bit quicker up through 100 mph than the previous mid-$20k media darling, the BRZ. The handling is peerless amongst anything at double the price.

You're also assuming the 1.5L will take a turbo as-is, and that there is an economic case for all of the additional engineering that would involve when they had the 2.0L at the ready.

The car sounds like a blast but no one in the press has been talking about the grandfather under the hood without making some remark beforehand to justify how underwhelming it is given its competition and the history of sports oriented 2.0 engines before it.

What's underwhelming about it? Where else can you get a sub-6s 0-60 roadster for 26k?

Mazda is a small company. They don't have the engineering resources to build entirely new powertrains for one model and one market that will never sell more than 75k a year worldwide. This car exists because Mazda was able to recycle some engineering resources for the powertrain, allowing them to concentrate on the rest of the car.

It's 2015, that's not impressive. Not to mention when you're driving the car and it has squat for midrange, which is necessary at times since you can't keep it full-tilt at all times no matter what. That said they will sell everyone they make especially to young women and retired folk because it is a good looking, cheap convertible.

Squat for midrange? Lolololololol I don't think you've ever driven a Miata at all. They live on the midrange, 2.5k to 5k rpms to be exact and from the impressions I've been reading, that still remains the same.

Also since when has a 5.8s 0-60 become unimpressive? Especially for a car that costs less than $30k? Or did we suddenly turn into a reductionist era because the former darling of the cheapass auto-enthusiasts got beat fair and square?

Yes, I went there.

J-Rzez

Squat for midrange? Lolololololol I don't think you've ever driven a Miata at all. They live on the midrange, 2.5k to 5k rpms to be exact and from the impressions I've been reading, that still remains the same.

Also since when has a 5.8s 0-60 become unimpressive? Especially for a car that costs less than $30k? Or did we suddenly turn into a reductionist era because the former darling of the cheapass auto-enthusiasts got beat fair and square?

Yes, I went there.

What's this "former darling of the cheapass auto-enthusiasts", and how did it get beat?

It will likely be more of the same old for power with the miata, it doesn't have it. It has it's purpose, and hint, it's not a performance car.

Makki

The car is a bit quicker up through 100 mph than the previous mid-$20k media darling, the BRZ. The handling is peerless amongst anything at double the price.

You're also assuming the 1.5L will take a turbo as-is, and that there is an economic case for all of the additional engineering that would involve when they had the 2.0L at the ready.

What's underwhelming about it? Where else can you get a sub-6s 0-60 roadster for 26k?

If we will compare Toyobarus to a Miata and ignore the fact that one is a coupe with more room and the other is a minimalist convertible then you have to note that to match the price point of the BRZ on a Miata you would have to opt for a trim that has no limited slip diff, or keyless entry, or radio screen, has cloth seats and worse suspension (I dont see body roll as a fun feature). Yes they both have about the same 0-60/0-100 times, but the Miata could be better for a 30 grand car if you think about Club trim vs a BRZ Limited which would have about the same features.

Keep in mind I am not undermining the Miata as a whole at all, its a wonderful piece of engineering, and its so great that you and a most people are willing to ignore the tame engine choice. I just feel this rebirth deserved better, even if it was a shared powerplant, either a higher revving version or a lowly boosted little snail.

Track day yesterday!

45 degrees Farenheit!

Raining!

It was actually a ton of fun after my initial trepidation. Once I had warmed up and gotten a feel for the grip levels I was able to throw the car around pretty consistently. So who wants to watch me manhandle* an old 911 on a wet track?

https://youtu.be/G7IIZGcGXmE

* Try not to understeer too much because fuck everything if you think I'm trail-braking that car on a wet day. I'm not risking the car to win at open track day.

And another for good measure. https://youtu.be/SzNT3_WAXag

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
WOOOO!!!

PDK transmission

cS731aN.jpg

I'm not a Porsche guy; but that's an absolutely beautiful car. Congratulations man... I'd be lying if I didn't say I was jealous.

rokkerkory

Thanks guys. Here's some more pics I snapped with my phone. Having a ton of fun with it so far, and I will never get tired of that exhaust noise.

Valentine One helps with the cops, since they can hear it coming a mile away. lol

wait this isn't a GT4? :(

JP!!! Congrats she looks great!

ruxtpin

Banned
Nice car Evo!

I went and took a look at the new 370Z Nismo. Those new recaros hug like glove! And I love the new bodywork over the old one (personal pref tho).

A year or so ago I thought with my new job that I'd easily be able to afford something more expensive - but life happened. I got married 2 weeks ago, wife wants to move up to PA in a year and buy a house (which I'm cool with), and were also planning on a tot within the next year or two. Buying a 75k dollar car dropped on a few notches on the priority list. I still kick myself because I traded in my 2012 370Z after a year (the last year with fangs!). I'll probably catch flak from my brother-in-law, but I think I'm going to end up getting another 370Z later this year - this time a Nismo.

New Mustang and Camaro have more power in the price range I'm looking (40k), but to me the 370Z felt so analog. I miss that feel.

It will likely be more of the same old for power with the miata, it doesn't have it. It has it's purpose, and hint, it's not a performance car.

Might wanna drive one first before you comment on it's "lack of power."

If all the fun in your world is beating a V6 Camry/Accord at a stoplight, then yes the Miata lacks power. But if you actually enjoy the act of driving, then nah... this thing has more than enough power for fun... and you probably won't get in trouble too.

Thanks guys. Here's some more pics I snapped with my phone. Having a ton of fun with it so far, and I will never get tired of that exhaust noise.

Valentine One helps with the cops, since they can hear it coming a mile away. lol

Red sports cars are so beautiful.

boltz

Evo, nice pick up! I can only imagine what that PDK feels like - the DCT in my Focus sucks as far as performance goes and when I test drove a MK7 GTI with DSG, it was a revelation.

The cx9 with rumored 2.5 turbo will debut at LA so we'll see what the ms3 will probably be working with there. I'm just hoping the engine will find its way into the '17 cx5

I'm looking at 3 rowers, and while the '16 Pilot isn't too shabby, I'm excited to see what Mazda will do with the Skyactiv formula and the CX-9.

Nice car Evo!

I went and took a look at the new 370Z Nismo. Those new recaros hug like glove! And I love the new bodywork over the old one (personal pref tho).

A year or so ago I thought with my new job that I'd easily be able to afford something more expensive - but life happened. I got married 2 weeks ago, wife wants to move up to PA in a year and buy a house (which I'm cool with), and were also planning on a tot within the next year or two. Buying a 75k dollar car dropped on a few notches on the priority list. I still kick myself because I traded in my 2012 370Z after a year (the last year with fangs!). I'll probably catch flak from my brother-in-law, but I think I'm going to end up getting another 370Z later this year - this time a Nismo.

New Mustang and Camaro have more power in the price range I'm looking (40k), but to me the 370Z felt so analog. I miss that feel.

Why not get something with four doors? That way you can lug around a little one and still have something that you enjoy driving.

Rengoku

WOOOO!!!

PDK transmission

cS731aN.jpg

Dude! CONGRATS!

Team Red FTW!

ruxtpin

Banned
Why not get something with four doors? That way you can lug around a little one and still have something that you enjoy driving.

I've got a 14 VW GLI right now. I'll be keeping it as my daily driver for a couple of years at least. Got a great deal on it and it's surprisingly fun to drive. It's essentially a GTI with a trunk. I didn't do a stick, since Atlanta traffic is horrendous.

What I eventually buy will be my fun car and 2nd vehicle.

negitoro7

Finally going from stock tune with a catback to Stage 2 with downpipe and intake tomorrow after 60,000kms (50K I put on myself) with my GTI! Got a tripod, camcorder on suction mount, GH3 on cruisecam and GX7 for pics to document the day ready to go. Can't wait!

Evo X

Red sports cars are so beautiful.

Dude! CONGRATS!

Team Red FTW!

Yep! Red was definitely the right choice. I've already gotten a ton of compliments on the color. A lot of red cars have orange undertones, but this Carmine is a very pure, deep red. Looks really good in person.

BTW, the average person knows jack shit about high end sports cars. A stranger asked me how much it cost, I told him $250,000 and he believed me. lol.

Another person thought it was a Ferrari when they heard & saw it coming down the street.

Top Bottom