• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Rengoku

Yeah, I need to get an air compressor. My arms are killing me. Drying without leaving wet spots or streaks is a bitch.

I also need to get a wax job so the water rolls off easier.

You should take a look at Optimum No Rinse (ONR). It used to take me significantly longer to clean my car but ONR makes things so much easier. Wiping is also much easier as the ONR solution doesn't leave any streaks or water spots behind.

Another thing I'd highly recommend are Dry Me Crazy towels by Microfiber Madness. I only learnt about these from my detailer recently, but they are simply amazing. They soak up water like nothing I've used before, and even though they come in a pretty small sized towel, I find I only need one of them to dry my whole car. Unlike waffle weave towels that snag on every piece of trim, edge or emblem, these towels simply don't snag.

ameratsu

I'm 5 weeks in to BMW ownership and already down nearly $1300 in maintenance and repairs. My car's been to the shop twice, once for battery replacement and reprogramming ($300) and this past week to replace the valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and to get an oil change ($970).

Umm yeah... that's insane. I guess that's why German makes get a reputation for expensive upkeep.

Is this thread for performance, luxury, and classic cars or a place to ask questions about looking for a "regular" car as well?

I was thinking about getting a new car. I was looking for something with a bit of performance, reliability, nice tech packages, and the new safety features.

I was thinking about a 2016 Fusion SE AWD with the 2.0L turbo option.

BTW I was wondering, and hopefully this isn't scoffed off, how well do the new safety features work? I'm mainly interested in front end collision prevention foremost and the lane assist. Do they actually work well? Are front end collisions stopped at a much higher rate to almost make them nonexistant on these new cars? Does the lane assist actually work well?

I wish I could afford one of the more expensive cars but right now I can't. The Lexus IS 350 F Sport and Infiniti Q50/Q70 look really nice but out of my price range.

The tech is fairly mature now.

Lane departure - Everyone uses cameras for this and behaviour can get a bit wonky at times when the lane markings are not clear or during bad weather. (This is slowly improving though, with people starting to use infrared and laser sensors)

Collission avoidance - Most systems use sensors (similar to what is used for adaptive cruise control) and this tech is a bit more robust than the lane departure tech.

NHTSA produced a very nice study on this stuff.

http://www.automotivesafetycouncil.org/files/NHTSA AEB Report.pdf

matmanx1

Chris Harris reviews the Ferrari 488 GTB, AKA Jackson's next car. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlvMRTQ6-X0

I watched it. Pretty exciting car.

Expect more. BMWs are unreliable pieces of junk after the 50K mile mark.

If you want to maintain the transmission, DO NOT listen to BMW when they say it's non-serviceable. ZF (the manufacturer) of the transmission requires a trans-fluid change every 50K miles on the transmission. BMW, Audi, and other European companies say it doesn't. Complete bullshit.

Service the transmission. It'll cost around $400 though.

Oh, and yeah, get ready to pay for every little thing. BMWs are nice when new, but a money-pit when used.

My car is the 6 speed manual. I don't think ZF makes that one. It's a Getrag unit I believe (217 model). I don't believe it's known for early failure but you never know.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I watched it. Pretty exciting car.

My car is the 6 speed manual. I don't think ZF makes that one. It's a Getrag unit I believe (217 model). I don't believe it's known for early failure but you never know.

Ok good.

Even manuals require maintenance, though. So I would look over the car's history and get it done.

AlphaSnake

Is it the same issue from the 90s with BMW telling customers to never change the transmission oil?

Yes. They claim because the transmission is sealed, it can't be drained. Which is a lie.

The transmission has a filler point where the old fluid can be vacuumed out of.

Ty4on

Yes. They claim because the transmission is sealed, it can't be drained. Which is a lie.

The transmission has a filler point where the old fluid can be vacuumed out of.

Yeah, I remember looking at tips for buying used E39s and everywhere it said don't buy an automatic if it hadn't been serviced because of that. I'm just baffled that it's still an issue almost 20 years later.

On the topic of cleaning cars, I've had a weird issue pop up with my '82 911. I did a full wash and wax maybe a month ago that left the paint feeling great, but over the weekend I noticed that the paint felt reeeeaally rough on all of the upper (and only the upper) surface--almost like a very fine sandpaper.

Now before the track day last week I gave it a quick rinse, and then over the weekend washed it again (had lots of mud on it), which is when I noticed the roughness. I took it to a car wash for a wax to see if it would have any effect and it didn't. If I use some quick detailer and rub the shit out of it with a microfiber for several applications it starts to smooth out but that's a shit ton of work.

Any ideas for what the hell happened? I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't get a ton of dust from my garage settling into the wax last month, and just what I can do for it.

PS - I know that the answer will probably be "claybar" but damnit I don't like cleaning cars, I like driving them. :(

Rengoku

On the topic of cleaning cars, I've had a weird issue pop up with my '82 911. I did a full wash and wax maybe a month ago that left the paint feeling great, but over the weekend I noticed that the paint felt reeeeaally rough on all of the upper (and only the upper) surface--almost like a very fine sandpaper.

Now before the track day last week I gave it a quick rinse, and then over the weekend washed it again (had lots of mud on it), which is when I noticed the roughness. I took it to a car wash for a wax to see if it would have any effect and it didn't. If I use some quick detailer and rub the shit out of it with a microfiber for several applications it starts to smooth out but that's a shit ton of work.

Any ideas for what the hell happened? I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't get a ton of dust from my garage settling into the wax last month, and just what I can do for it.

PS - I know that the answer will probably be "claybar" but damnit I don't like cleaning cars, I like driving them. :(

I'd say use a claybar first, to see if that can get rid of the roughness, and then follow up with a polish. If the claybar doesn't work, you may need to use a very fine grit sandpaper and do some wetsanding, but that is alot of work.

matmanx1

I'd say use a claybar first, to see if that can get rid of the roughness, and then follow up with a polish. If the claybar doesn't work, you may need to use a very fine grit sandpaper and do some wetsanding, but that is alot of work.

See when it gets to that point it's time to take it to a professional. Yeah it's pricey but worth it IMO considering the time that you would put in to it.

Thanks. I'll claybar a spot and see what it does for me. The paint is on its way out anyway--it was a Texas car from 1982 to 2013--so this is just a delaying action until I'm forced to get it a respray.

But I figure when I get a respray I'll get a ducktail spoiler on it, so that's kind of tempting...

See when it gets to that point it's time to take it to a professional. Yeah it's pricey but worth it IMO considering the time that you would put in to it.

Yeah I had a polish last year that came out pretty well, this roughness seriously came out of fucking nowhere. It's mystifying.

AlphaSnake

Clean your damn car.

Cleaning a car is one of the best and most important aspects of owning one.

kagete

Is this thread for performance, luxury, and classic cars or a place to ask questions about looking for a "regular" car as well?

I was thinking about getting a new car. I was looking for something with a bit of performance, reliability, nice tech packages, and the new safety features.

I was thinking about a 2016 Fusion SE AWD with the 2.0L turbo option.

BTW I was wondering, and hopefully this isn't scoffed off, how well do the new safety features work? I'm mainly interested in front end collision prevention foremost and the lane assist. Do they actually work well? Are front end collisions stopped at a much higher rate to almost make them nonexistant on these new cars? Does the lane assist actually work well?

I wish I could afford one of the more expensive cars but right now I can't. The Lexus IS 350 F Sport and Infiniti Q50/Q70 look really nice but out of my price range.

With that exact car you're already looking at I would just steer you towards a Subaru Legacy with the Eyesight package. thewirecutter.com has a "best mid-size sedan" review that has a well-worded opinion piece about how they chose the subaru as the all-around best pick for someone looking for safety in the form of AWD and camera or radar based collision prevention systems. Good luck and enjoy shopping!

Clean your damn car.

I've washed it three (edit: no four!) times and waxed it twice in a month!

I just don't enjoy doing it outside of the rare slow weekend afternoon where I feel like lazily washing and waxing the car. For the most part there's stuff I'd rather do, like ride a bike, work on my project car, watch a movie, play a game, stare at my belly button, anything aside from make my arms sore from applying and buffing wax.

mkenyon

Banned
I've washed it three times and waxed it twice in a month!

I just don't enjoy doing it outside of the rare slow weekend afternoon where I feel like lazily washing and waxing the car. For the most part there's stuff I'd rather do, like ride a bike, work on my project car, watch a movie, play a game, stare at my belly button, anything aside from make my arms sore from applying and buffing wax.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1051140

MisterNoisy

Clean your damn car.

Truth. One of my favorite parts of the week is Saturday mornings, when I break out the buckets and chemicals and spend a bit of time making everything look nice.

While you're doing that, take the time to also wax your wheels with a good synthetic wax. Seriously - it looks amazing and brake dust is both slower to accumulate and easier to wash/wipe off.

AlphaSnake

Truth. One of my favorite parts of the week is Saturday mornings, when I break out the buckets and chemicals and spend a bit of time making everything look nice.

While you're doing that, take the time to also wax your wheels with a good synthetic wax. Seriously - it looks amazing and brake dust is both slower to accumulate and easier to wash/wipe off.

I just cleaned mine...but reading that makes me wanna do it again. LOL

See that beautiful, slick, swirl free, black paint reflect everything around me in the garage...*swooon*

rokkerkory

Gave her some love this weekend:

1) Full inside + outside detail + wax... in time for the hot weather

2) Lowered her slightly 3/4 of an inch all around to give better stance

11036757_10153319378703758_1764711199875570688_n.jpg

1425594_10153319378798758_5788019791538248168_n.jpg

:D :D :D

Lol I washed my Miata this weekend and I thought I was gonna die from the terrorizing Texas heat and humidity.

I started around 3PM, washed and used my blower + towel to get the water spots out. An hour later when I finished that part, my shirt was literally drenched all over. I went back inside to grab a cold Gatorade and some snacks while I waited for the car to cool down inside the garage. Came back at 4:30 and it didn't even take 5 minutes for me start sweating all over. I started waxing the hood by hand and by the end of it, I just couldn't do it anymore. So I grabbed my quick detailer and went to town instead. An hour later I was lying down outside the door leading to my garage and house lol.

Next time I'm gonna wash my Miata, I'm gonna get an orbital buffer and an industrial shop fan or something to keep me cool.

AlphaSnake

Lol I washed my Miata this weekend and I thought I was gonna die from the terrorizing Texas heat and humidity.

I started around 3PM, washed and used my blower + towel to get the water spots out. An hour later when I finished that part, my shirt was literally drenched all over. I went back inside to grab a cold Gatorade and some snacks while I waited for the car to cool down inside the garage. Came back at 4:30 and it didn't even take 5 minutes for me start sweating all over. I started waxing the hood by hand and by the end of it, I just couldn't do it anymore. So I grabbed my quick detailer and went to town instead. An hour later I was lying down outside the door leading to my garage and house lol.

Next time I'm gonna wash my Miata, I'm gonna get an orbital buffer and an industrial shop fan or something to keep me cool.

Jeez. Even in the Florida I'm not dying that bad.

You should start the cleaning around 5PM when the sun begins to set and the temps cool down gradually. In Central Florida, it's clockwork - the hottest part of the day is from 12PM-4PM. And everything after that is a nice breeze as it cools down.

Chocobro

Lol nice plug, mkenyon.

I thought I would come here to ask if a used G37 coupe be a good purchase as a DD? Which version, X, sports, journey?

Or is there a better option?

Budget might range from 20K to like 40K, really depends. My mom is fine with buying me a car I would be happy with but I pay her back when I work. I was eying the WRX or Evo X but depending on where I work, I don't know how bearable MT is in traffic. I might work in NYC or anywhere on the east coast to Michigan. I'm a relatively new driver, got my license last August but I've been driving (AT) everyday since the beginning of this year. I'm 23 if that matters.

Hopefully you guys can help steer me in the right direction.

AlphaSnake

Lol nice plug, mkenyon.

I thought I would come here to ask if a used G37 coupe be a good purchase as a DD? Which version, X, sports, journey?

Budget might range from 20K to like 40K, really depends. My mom is fine with buying me a car I would be happy with but I pay her back when I work. I was eying the WRX or Evo X but depending on where I work, I don't know how bearable MT is in traffic. I might work in NYC or anywhere on the east coast to Michigan. I'm a relatively new driver, got my license last August but I've been driving (AT) everyday since the beginning of this year. I'm 23 if that matters.

A G37 Coupe is a great daily driver. If you work in a place with snow, get the AWD X model. If you want things like navi, sports package and such, trim packages will determine that.

Jeez. Even in the Florida I'm not dying that bad.

You should start the cleaning around 5PM when the sun begins to set and the temps cool down gradually. In Central Florida, it's clockwork - the hottest part of the day is from 12PM-4PM. And everything after that is a nice breeze as it cools down.

Lol the sun doesn't start setting until around 7PM over here... and it's also a quick sunset that it's usually dark by 8:30 so you can't wax/detail unless you've got really good eyes and good lighting in your garage, or you do it tomorrow lol.

Honestly, I think it's just because that entire week was the first proper week of sunshine and humidity here in Texas. And after the cooler spring temps due to the drought busting rains we had and I just haven't gotten acclimated to the heat. Even today, I left my car outside in the sun since I was in the gym for an hour and by the time I came back, I felt like I just stepped in to a sauna... it doesn't help I've got black leather almost everywhere so yeahhhh lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Lol nice plug, mkenyon.

Have the Hatchback version, EX35. I loooooooooooooooooooove my car. Love it. They're insanely reliable, with absolutely stunning interiors. The drivetrain and transmission is great too.
Gave her some love this weekend
Looks fkn gorgeous in white.

Evo X

Looks great!

I like the wheels. What are those, HRE P40s?

Or get one of those big ass industrial lights and wash it after sunset. lol

Lol nice plug, mkenyon.

You can get a Evo X MR with DCT if you don't think stick shift will be comfortable. Interior quality is not that great, but with a few small mods, it will offer better performance than any other car in this price range.

You could also get a 987 Cayman or Boxster S for under $40K and it will make a far better DD sportscar than a G37. 2009+ cars are very reliable and come with the bigger 3.4L motor from the 911.

I would also recommend E92 M3s if you need more seats. They're coming down in price now, and just like the Porsches, are far better than any Subaru/Infinity/Mitsu in that budget.

Of course, gas/maintenance/insurance is going to be higher on the Euro cars, but the experience is going to be exponentially better. Trust me. G37 is half the price, but every bit of it feels it. At least the Evo has it's performance going for it, but the G is even disappointing in that regard.

squared

Became the owner of a ´13 SWP GT86 a little over a week ago. TRD springs and front lip are the only mods so far. Never had more fun on twisty roads before, and I've had and driven some fun cars in the past.

18425757688_5a76fbc0b1_h.jpg

18425756908_d8eb3dbf96_h.jpg

matmanx1

Umm yeah... that's insane. I guess that's why German makes get a reputation for expensive upkeep.

Well, if there's any good news in this it is that I have a car account that I deposit money into weekly for stuff like this. None of that tab came out of the monthly budget so my wife isn't too perturbed, yet. If I get a couple more "surprise" repairs like this one then we might have a problem on the homefront.

11036757_10153319378703758_1764711199875570688_n.jpg

1425594_10153319378798758_5788019791538248168_n.jpg

Looks fantastic, BMW bro. Absolutely awesome.

Lol nice plug, mkenyon.

I just traded a G37 coupe for my 128i. The G37 sounded great, looked good and was fun to cruise around in. It's nowhere near as smooth and refined as the BMW in terms of powertrain or handling but you do get a lot of car for the money and they are dead reliable.

If you want a cool and fun car and don't want to worry too much about maintenance and repair then the G37 is a good choice. If, however, you've got the budget and can tolerate the repair bills then you can buy yourself a nice BMW in your budget range and it will be a better driving experience than the G.

Trust me, I wrestled with this exact same question for a couple of years. Even with the recent $1300 I've spent in maintenance and repairs on my 1 series I still wouldn't give it back. I like it that much.

Evo X

Installed the OEM Euro GT3 LED sidemarkers. Look a lot better than the orange imo.

hGYhyiA.jpg

yWdA5Lm.jpg

Tv1lSva.jpg

Became the owner of a ´13 SWP GT86 a little over a week ago. TRD springs and front lip are the only mods so far. Never had more fun on twisty roads before, and I've had and driven some fun cars in the past.

Car looks awesome. Congrats!

Agreed on the fun to drive factor. I've only driven the GT86 a handful of times, but always had a blast with it.

Also, can you please take some pictures of my car? lol

squared

Agreed on the fun to drive factor. I've only driven the GT86 a handful of times, but always had a blast with it.

Thank you, and same to you! And I love red cars. Was going for either a red or white GT86 myself :)

Haha I would for sure, if we lived in the same country ;)

rokkerkory

Looks fkn gorgeous in white.

Looks great!

I like the wheels. What are those, HRE P40s?

Looks fantastic dude. Sometimes I like to pretend I live in a world where BMW stopped making the M3 after the E92.

It is a good world.

Looks fantastic, BMW bro. Absolutely awesome.

THANKS ALL! I am in love with this car! :D

@Evo X - The rims are HRE P40 SCs in 19s... running on PSS 265 fronts and 295 rears. <3

mkenyon

Banned
mmmmmmmmmm all these classy white cars.

Thank you for the gorgeous pics.
If you want a cool and fun car and don't want to worry too much about maintenance and repair then the G37 is a good choice. If, however, you've got the budget and can tolerate the repair bills then you can buy yourself a nice BMW in your budget range and it will be a better driving experience than the G.
I think it really depends on the BMW in question. 1 Series, for sure. 328 though, not so much.

Bandit1

Car looks great! Very clean and sits well.

Cool car, I bet it does handle well, and amazing pictures too!

Installed the OEM Euro GT3 LED sidemarkers. Look a lot better than the orange imo.

I agree. You made the right choice Evo.

matmanx1

mmmmmmmmmm all these classy white cars.

Thank you for the gorgeous pics.

I think it really depends on the BMW in question. 1 Series, for sure. 328 though, not so much.

I would still give the nod to a 328 with the sport package, especially in coupe form. My experience is limited with the 3 series and it was only in coupe form. It felt pretty similar to my 1 series, just a bit bigger. (Naturally I am talking about the inline 6 328 coupes. The new ones are called a 2 series, right?)

AlphaSnake

Nonsense. They just require a little more care than say, a Honda or Toyota.

Have you owned a 335i, M6, or M3 out of warranty?

We even have people here with other BMWs such as the X6...they throw DTCs every 2 months like clockwork. Failing waterpumps at 45K miles across nearly every car? Battery replacements every 6-12 months or oil change on twin turbo V8s? Fuel pumps on N55s (which are NOT warrantied like the N54). Early coil failures. Low-pressure fuel pump issues. Throttle issues. I can keep going.

These are not things that don't occur if you just "care" for the car a little more. They are mechanical failures directly unrelated to maintenance, or lack thereof.

rokkerkory

hGYhyiA.jpg

yWdA5Lm.jpg

Tv1lSva.jpg

Looks nice! Did you get the sport exhaust? any vids?

AlphaSnake

I feel like I should rename this thread to something else.

GT86 hate speech is so...2014.

Hmmm. Probably something Porsche related.

Well three hours later I'm done cleaning. The clay bar worked wonders on whatever it was hanging out in my wax, just took it right the hell out. Waxed it and here's hoping it doesn't get full of crap again.

It looks nice, but I didn't enjoy myself!

Bandit1

Well three hours later I'm done cleaning. The clay bar worked wonders on whatever it was hanging out in my wax, just took it right the hell out. Waxed it and here's hoping it doesn't get full of crap again.

It looks nice, but I didn't enjoy myself!

No pictures??

Top Bottom