• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Yeah, it's hard to find something under $30K that handles better and goes faster than a modded Evo.

You either have to raise your budget, or make some compromises in performance for cars that are better in other regards.

Thats the thing the only thing I would consider would be an e90 m3 with a 6sp. They aren't quite at the 30k price point yet.

I kind of like having 4 doors.

I hate you so much Jackson.

Been here at work for 3 hours and all I've been doing is browse Autotrader for Porsche's under $40K.

I'm kidding about the hate lol, but I found a blue 07 911 S for $37K, stick but it has 77k miles.

I know I can't right now, but knowing how the prices are already this low is giving me some kind of hope for next year lol.

Evo X

Thats the thing the only thing I would consider would be an e90 m3 with a 6sp. They aren't quite at the 30k price point yet.

I kind of like having 4 doors.

I was going to recommend an E90 M3, but they aren't exactly lightweight and clean ones are closer to $40K.

You will definitely be happy with it coming from an Evo however. It's fast, fun, and luxurious. The V8 at 8400RPMs is bonkers.

Been here at work for 3 hours and all I've been doing is browse Autotrader for Porsche's under $40K.

I'm kidding about the hate lol, but I found a blue 07 911 S for $37K, stick but it has 77k miles.

I know I can't right now, but knowing how the prices are already this low is giving me some kind of hope for next year lol.

AncientCarefulAnaconda.gif

mkenyon

Banned
Came here to post the new 7-series.

And also came here to make fun of how bad it looks. The last one wasn't particularly good looking (especially from the rear), but then again the old S-Class it competed against was pretty ugly itself.

But today we have the all new jaw dropping S-Class and the Jaguar XJ...and then this downright snooze-inspiring BMW. Who the hell designed this thing? There's no grace to it. Nothing even remotely daring.

Bavarian Motor Works?

More like Bore-varian Motor Works.

AM I RITE GUYZ!?
So are you gonna talk about how much you love it in 6 months?

trollface.jpeg
If I could afford it, it'd be in my garage.

I was going to recommend an E90 M3, but they aren't exactly lightweight and clean ones are closer to $40K.

You will definitely be happy with it coming from an Evo however. It's fast, fun, and luxurious. The V8 at 8400RPMs is bonkers.

Yeah its not that light at 3700lbs.
A new STI seems like a lateral move.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So are you gonna talk about how much you love it in 6 months?

trollface.jpeg

I don't get it.

Alpha put so much effort into the Jaguar |OT|... but everything was Porsche.

Well it's been a loooooooooooooooooooong time since this thread first started. And it started when Jaguar was making waves. In about 4 months we get a new XF and next year we get the XE in the US.

The Porsches have been trending here only in the past 15 pages or so.

AlphaSnake

lol i bet you dont

Well I do...but it doesn't make sense. An ugly car is an ugly car. It won't look pretty 6 months from now.

You're implying I changed my stance on the M4...which I didn't since my review was perfectly clear about what's wrong with it and under what conditions I'd own one.

I just want to point out that it was not me who posted the above comment.

Alternate viewpoint: Porsche lost a bet, had to make a rear-engined car and decided to stubbornly make the best of it.

Edit: I made another thing to try the GoPro facing rearward under the tail. I'm pretty damn impressed with the audio quality, but for whatever reason it loses visual quality when encoding for youtube. 1080p doesn't count if the image is fuzzy. =/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BD3H_ZXOSg

Evo X

The Porsches have been trending here only in the past 15 pages or so.

Give me time. Soon enough, everyone here will be driving a Porsche. Lol

I think in the history of the Automotive industry, no one company has done more to advance and perfect the automobile more than Porsche.

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

But I might secretly think Mercedes has done more all things considered.

To be fair, and I know I might get stabbed by a couple of pitchforks by saying this, Porsche has a more important place in Automotive history.

Why?

*puts on flameshield and chainmail armor*

Volkswagen Beetle.

*runs away*

Jackson

I'm telling ya man, for the money you can't beat the overall package of a Porsche. I turned down a used R8 v10, a Jag F TYPE-R, and a GTR for the Cayman (I didn't seriously consider any american cars like a C7... While I can respect 'em, they're just not my thing). The Cayman was the only car I test drove twice.

And the Cayman was loads cheaper than all of those (even the GT4 is) and was way more fun to drive. The responsiveness is incredible. It's the driver's car (so's a 911 tbh).

Basically the Cayman is a roided out Miata that also wears a fancy tux for date nites.

AlphaSnake

I'm telling ya man, for the money you can't beat the overall package of a Porsche. I turned down a used R8 v10, a Jag F TYPE-R, and a GTR for the Cayman (I didn't seriously consider any american cars like a C7... While I can respect 'em, they're just not my thing). The Cayman was the only car I test drove twice.

And the Cayman was loads cheaper than all of those (even the GT4 is) and was way more fun to drive. The responsiveness is incredible. It's the driver's car (so's a 911 tbh).

Basically the Cayman is a roided out Miata that also wears a fancy tux for date nites.

My brother, like the good brother almost everyone has, was just trying to talk me out of it even if it's a year out lol.

I guess we'll just see when the time comes.

Uhhh...what?

Benz literally invented the damn automobile. You may wanna do some research there, bud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benz_Patent-Motorwagen

Oh there's no denying that. The Beetle on the other hand brought the car to the masses. Without it, the automobile wouldn't be as successful as it is right now. It'd be something only the rich could afford.

ascii42

Oh there's no denying that. The Beetle on the other hand brought the car to the masses. Without it, the automobile wouldn't be as successful as it is right now. It'd be something only the rich could afford.
Wasn't that what the Ford Model T already did? I guess the Beetle did the same to a greater extent.

Wasn't that what the Ford Model T already did? I guess the Beetle did the same to a greater extent.

Yep. The Model T had a huge impact in the US and some parts of Europe but it was too early in the game.

Just look at most of the South American countries, even in 2015 they're still producing Beetle's exclusively and kept the old ones running. Also even my dad had a Beetle back in late 70's and that was when the Philippines was literally a 3rd world country. And as far as I know, that Beetle is still running these days according to my uncle.

The Beetle is the original car that brought driving to the masses, of course now it's the Civic and Corolla but they didn't have a profound effect on the automobile as the Beetle did.

When I said Benz as the most important I was talking actual technological advancements that became standards. Still continues to this day. My uncle was showing me his S65's inflating seats which help keep your body straight when going through corners. Blew my mind.

Rengoku

I think in the history of the Automotive industry, no one company has done more to advance and perfect the automobile more than Porsche.

Dude... you missed out the 997 generation.... I'm hurt...

Since this thread has become a porsche fan club, I felt I should make my contribution too.
Here's mine, taken last fall:

MyrXxzV.png

9vF60RN.png

Jackson

About to head out to my first track day in the GTS (did some autocross already though). Super stoked! Spending the night near the track cause it's too far to drive when check-in is 7AM.

My buddy is coming along with his Vantage GT. It's his first track day ever. Mid-70's, no clouds in sight.

Gonna be a blast.

Might gopro it. We'll see hehe.

boltz

sub compact SUV market is exploding.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/06/10/honda-hr-v-introduction-sales/28780777/

Honda has already sold nearly all 7,000 HRVs that hit dealerships a couple weeks ago. Mazda really needs to bring their CX-3 to the market already, as i'm going to buy one day one.

I much prefer the styling of the Fit to the HRV, which looks a bit cheap with all that black plastic cladding. CX-3 is much nicer looking, but no matter how good Mazda seems to make their cars, they can't hold a candle to Honda sales.

Smokey

About to head out to my first track day in the GTS (did some autocross already though). Super stoked! Spending the night near the track cause it's too far to drive when check-in is 7AM.

My buddy is coming along with his Vantage GT. It's his first track day ever. Mid-70's, no clouds in sight.

Gonna be a blast.

do you ever work bro

jelly

MisterNoisy

Every week?!. Like I have the time to do that, but I can't devote that much time cleaning my Miata. I check the weather forecasts and make sure it'll stay clean and shiny for a week. After that, I really don't care if there's water splotches or dirt on it lol.

Unless it's actively raining, yeah - I wash and spray/wipe the car. Even if it rains the day after or even later that same day, getting the dirt and what-not off the car is worth doing, and wax/detailing spray keeps dirt from the next week from embedding itself into the paint. Like I said before - I actually enjoy this stuff. It only takes an hour or so and you get immediate results/satisfaction.

AlphaSnake

Unless it's actively raining, yeah - I wash and spray/wipe the car. Even if it rains the day after or even later that same day, getting the dirt and what-not off the car is worth doing, and wax/detailing spray keeps dirt from the next week from embedding itself into the paint. Like I said before - I actually enjoy this stuff. It only takes an hour or so and you get immediate results/satisfaction.

Preach.

Evo X

Gonna be a blast.

Yo, this is a weird coincidence, but I'm doing a track day tomorrow too!

Forecast says it's raining, but that just means more opportunities to drift. >:)

GHG

Gold Member
I think we should make a spin off thread just for Porsche discussions. This is getting ridiculous.

Porsches are so common here in Dubai its ridiculous. Down where I work in the financial centre there are cayenne's, 911's, Caymans, panameras, and more recently macans everywhere.

On the flip side it means the used car market for porches here is ridiculously good. Having said that, the 911's do tend T hold their value here surprisingly well.

Best deals can be found on panamera's though. Very tempted to try and nab a used Turbo or GTS later this year. But then I'll be joining the masses...

But this is a market where Nissan GTR's get more attention than porches or maserati's do. Its kind of like owners of GTR's get nods of approvals from passers by saying "well done for not getting a porsche/maserati/bmw/merc like everyone else who shops in that price range".

AlphaSnake

I think we should make a spin off thread just for Porsche discussions. This is getting ridiculous.

Porsches are so common here in Dubai its ridiculous. Down where I work in the financial centre there are cayenne's, 911's, Caymans, panameras, and more recently macans everywhere.

On the flip side it means the used car market for porches here is ridiculously good. Having said that, the 911's do tend T hold their value here surprisingly well.

Best deals can be found on panamera's though. Very tempted to try and nab a used Turbo or GTS later this year.

But this is a market where Nissan GTR's get more attention than porches or maserati's do. Its kind of like owners of GTR's get nods of approvals from passers by saying "well done for not getting a porsche/maserati/bmw/merc like everyone else who shops in that price range".

For a while we had a bunch of Zs and Gs talking back and forth. The GT86 discussion was very prominent at one point. Then there was a whole Honda discussion. Miata discussion. And now it's Porsche talk.

Porsche is doing amazing things with their new products - they've finally made both the 911 and Cayman visually stunning inside and out and people are enamored moreso than they have been in the past 15-20 years? As a staunch Porsche critic who pretty much wouldn't own anything they've released that's water-cooled...up until the 991 and 981 came along, I myself am in love with the brand all over again.

GHG

Gold Member
For a while we had a bunch of Zs and Gs talking back and forth. The GT86 discussion was very prominent at one point. Then there was a whole Honda discussion. Miata discussion. And now it's Porsche talk.

Porsche is doing amazing things with their new products - they've finally made both the 911 and Cayman visually stunning inside and out and people are enamored moreso than they have been in the past 15-20 years? As a staunch Porsche critic who pretty much wouldn't own anything they've released that's water-cooled...up until the 991 and 981 came along, I myself am in love with the brand all over again.

Yep, think since circa 2011 their interior design in particular has been fantastic. Leather everywhere and comfort all round.

I saw a 2015 Targa in blue yesterday. Stunning, stunning car.

The Porsche talk I think is just an indication of where they are in terms of current car culture. Sure, you've still communities talking about super cars and whatnot, but I think Auto-GAF is a better representation of your standard internet car community. We've got a few heavyweights of course, but most of tend to be in the mid or lightweights lol. Plus being able to chat with fellow enthusiasts of all weight classes is pretty interesting imo. You get different perspectives... something you'll never encounter by strictly sticking to a specific community.

do you ever work bro

jelly

Right?

I'm guessing he's having a track day now coz he's probably gonna be out of commission by the end of next week lol.

We demand a Auto-GAF shoutout at E3! And maybe a next-gen Scribblenauts? Lol.

I'm always conflicted about this tbh. On one hand, I'd love it if my car was show car clean everyday. But on the other, I also like the fact that it looks like it's been driven a lot, instead of looking like a garage queen. It's been 3 years I've had my Miata and I still struggle on this lol.

Gonna be a blast.

Enjoy! Be sure to check your temps right after you get off the track and bleed them down to ideal operating range.

Check rennlist.com to see what that tire temps guys are running.

You people are tempting me to dump my Z06 for a P car.

Jackson

Enjoy! Be sure to check your temps right after you get off the track and bleed them down to ideal operating range.

Check rennlist.com to see what that tire temps guys are running.

Good idea!

Yo, this is a weird coincidence, but I'm doing a track day tomorrow too!

Forecast says it's raining, but that just means more opportunities to drift. >:)

Lolwut?! Crazy. Have fun!

do you ever work bro

jelly

Lol ya. But we give unlimited PTO here. Sometimes there's crunch here and there for big milestones, but typically we try to keep it to a minimum. So people can take off whenever long as their work is getting done.

Best deals can be found on panamera's though. Very tempted to try and nab a used Turbo or GTS later this year. But then I'll be joining the masses...

Porsches are pretty ubiquitous here too in Microsoftland. This place is turning into Silicon Valley 2.0. Base 911s in like champagne or something don't turnheads at all. But bright red, loud Caymans do lol. But that's probably because they think it's a Ferrari.

Car culture wise, this place is pretty legit. Like my neighbor with the Veyron, I've seen probably 10 different 458 Speciales driving around. But plenty of stanced Miatas too. It's a good mix.

Going to a JDM stanced meet up and going to a Porsche meet up are almost night and day. lol I don't feel like some wanna be thug is gonna start a fight over his hellaflush 1998 Acura being dissed. But on the other hand 911 snobs can be obnoxious too.

I'd say the most common performance car here is the M3. Perfect blend of perf/lux for the money. It's got prestige with the BMW and M moniker and it's racy enough for the average person. Further outside the "east side" where all the tech money is, WRXs are easily the most common car. GTRs aren't popular here.

I agree. I dug the 997 GT3RS 4.0 (who didn't?) but style wise 991 and 981 have really upped it to another level. Sidenote,The carrera GT is a dog of a car looks wise. Really shows it's age.

I'm guessing he's having a track day now coz he's probably gonna be out of commission by the end of next week lol.

We demand a Auto-GAF shoutout at E3! And maybe a next-gen Scribblenauts? Lol.

Lol. No announcements for E3 from me.

Time for bed!

matmanx1

Came here to post the new 7-series.

And also came here to make fun of how bad it looks. The last one wasn't particularly good looking (especially from the rear), but then again the old S-Class it competed against was pretty ugly itself.

But today we have the all new jaw dropping S-Class and the Jaguar XJ...and then this downright snooze-inspiring BMW. Who the hell designed this thing? There's no grace to it. Nothing even remotely daring.

Bavarian Motor Works?

More like Bore-varian Motor Works.

AM I RITE GUYZ!?

Yeah, I actually don't think much of the new front end on most BMW's these days. The kidneys are too big and the whole front fascia looks "scrunched". I really prefer the last gen styling in many ways.

Jalopnik is launching a Youtube channel.
https://youtu.be/tVjg0ZRnKR4
Looks cool.

Already subscribed. Jalopnik is like my second favorite internet destination these days behind Gaf.

First GT4 has arrived in North America!

The unnamed customer from SoCal did not want to wait 6 weeks for it to come by cargo ship, so he had it airlifted for $15,000 instead.

god damn.

I wonder what it feels like to be that rich.

Exhaust Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAk9V08Bmj0

I2xtGpk.jpg

SvxOQTr.jpg

PcoZrTj.jpg

Hhhhnnnnggg! /boggle /drool. What a car!

Re: Porsches. They just happen to be doing a lot of good things right now. I find every car they make to be really desirable, save the Panamera. Even in a backwoods town like Rome, Ga (where I work) I see tons of Macans and Cayenne's and a few 911's and Caymans's. Regular people, who aren't necessarily car people, seem to gravitate towards them as a "trophy" car and if I had that kind of cash to spend on a new car I would be right there with them.

However, as good as Porsche's are they certainly aren't the only game in town nor are they the only company making cool and interesting cars. Jaguar is doing some good things, as is Aston Martin (I love the new/old Vantage GT and the V12 Vanquish).

Lotus has some good products that I wish were more common and more accepted here in the USA but government regulations have gotten that all fouled up. I am hoping they can make a comeback of sorts and I have a not-so-secret love of the Evora S.

Honda looks like it might be pulling its head out of its behind in terms of sports cars with the Civic Type R and the upcoming NSX. I wish for a return of the old Honda when they made cars like the CRX Si, the Prelude Si and the Integra Type R. The new Honda is very boring, and that is a shame.

Anyway, I could go on and on but my point is as popular as Porsche's are on this board this is far from a Porsche club and I welcome any and all discussion about our hobby.

Top Bottom