• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Momentary

Banned
So they make street legal Exige's and Elise's now for the USA? Seriously? Wow, my day just got a little bit brighter all of sudden.

Also,obligatory Exige pic:
yLNIM6D.jpg

They aren't street legal in the states. But the V6 Cup along with the other models can be purchased for track purposes. The only thing you can buy and drive off a lot here in the states is the Evora. They say they'll be reintroducing the Elise and Exige before 2020... or some shit like that.

Also:
If Car Commercials Were Honest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmQE4qdb9fg

TylerD

Nah I think it's Orient Blue? It's much darker and isn't in the best condition unfortunately. He needs to get it totally DA'd.

Do you know why your valve cover gasket keeps going? Just so I can let my friend know what he needs to watch out for.

He needs to really refresh the suspension, it's a little tired! Shouldn't be as big a job as the head though.

I'm doing mine again because my torque wrench failed when I was tightening a nut for the valve cover close to the vanos line. It broke the top of the bolt off but I'll be able to back it out of the head with a ratchet. I'll be replacing the gasket when I do that. This was at Christmas and I've let it get away from me. Created a quality vacuum leak and under really hard acceleration I can spray oil from that corner on my hood pad lol

I had my engine replaced after it got destroyed in very heavy rain water when I was trying to get to work during a power emergency last September. Lifted truck created a wake that went over my hood and she was dead within 10 feet, another 20 and I would have been safe. They typically last 40-60k miles and 4-5 years if done right I think.

Malvingt2

Guys I might buy a 1992 Dodge Stealth ES. I do have some times lurking around to get one. Now I don't have a lot of data about the car in term of maintenance or if I should avoid the automatic transmission.

can you guys please share any info about it? what should I avoid or look for before buying such?

There is one on sale with 52k miles for 3k, private seller. So I am thinking about it.

rokkerkory

Guys I might buy a 1992 Dodge Stealth ES. I do have some times lurking around to get one. Now I don't have a lot of data about the car in term of maintenance or if I should avoid the automatic transmission.

can you guys please share any info about it? what should I avoid or look for before buying such?

There is one on sale with 52k miles for 3k, private seller. So I am thinking about it.

Pretty low miles... is it the i4 or v6 version?

Smokey

S-Class coupe is gorgeous. Definitely the luxury car I would buy if I was in the market. Trying to convince my uncle to trade his Range Rover in for one, so I can occasionally take it out. lol

2015-mercedes-benz-s63-am-6_1600x0w.jpg

Mercedes-Benz+S+65+AMG+Coup%C3%A9+(2015)+Interior.jpg

2015-s-class-coupe-future-gallery-010-goi-d.jpg

gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd

lord help me if i ever get lifetime mula

Not to be mean, but why? They're pretty boring cars unless you get the top of the line r/t. They're also small inside, and the interior feels kinda cheap. And I'll bet it burns oil, they all do. All of them.

If you want a sports car from that era for about the same price, the 300zx is a better choice.

Malvingt2

Not to be mean, but why? They're pretty boring cars unless you get the top of the line r/t. They're also small inside, and the interior feels kinda cheap. And I'll bet it burns oil, they all do. All of them.

I like how the car looks for some damn reason. I am sucker for 90's coupe cars. lol

Evo X

Lmao. Some tool on Rennlist is trying to sell his GT4 for $160K. That's new GT3 money and creeping close to used McLaren and Lambo territory.

Says he already turned down a $30K over sticker offer. The forum rightfully calls him out for being a greedy delusional scumbag for going to an enthusiast website to flip a car, and he gets super defensive, mentioning that he is a veteran who has taken bullets for us, saying he is wealthier than everyone else there, and then starts listing all the nice cars and property he has.

If you have some free time, you can see the meltdown/thread backfire here. Real fun starts at post #68.

http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/887834-gt4-to-a-new-home.html

Smokey

M4 Concept GTS Announced :O

https://youtu.be/g_AT2djYGmA

The move sees BMW M Division once again returning to its roots. The BMW offshoot, founded in 1972 as BMW Motorsport GmbH, not only caused a sensation with its iconic BMW M1 racing car, but developed the first turbocharged engine to win the Formula One World Championship and was the force behind what remains the world’s most successful racing touring car – the Group A BMW M3.

And so the new BMW Concept M4 GTS continues the tradition of BMW M3 special models already illuminated by the BMW M3 Evolution (1988), BMW M3 Sport Evolution (1990), BMW M3 GT (1995), BMW M3 CSL (2003), BMW M3 GTS (2010) and BMW M3 CRT (2011). Technology honed in race competition, a hike in power, a commitment to lightweight design and limited production numbers have ensured these sharpest examples of their type offer unbeatable performance coupled with an emotionally powerful and exclusive driving experience.

“While the BMW M4 Coupe embodies the ideal combination of motor sport genes and unrestricted everyday usability, the BMW Concept M4 GTS previews an emotionally powerful and exclusive special model conceived with an eye for trailblazing technology and a keen focus on the race track,” explains Frank van Meel, President BMW M Division. “Despite its outstanding track ability, it is still fully road-legal. This is racing technology for the road in the truest sense.”

The BMW Concept M4 GTS showcases new technologies destined to make their series production debut in a new model to be unveiled at a later date. For example, the BMW Concept M4 GTS features the innovative water injection system that has already provided a significant output and torque boost in the BMW M4 MotoGP Safety Car. In addition, the BMW Concept M4 GTS has rear lights with OLED (organic light-emitting diode) technology that give the high-performance model a whole new look when darkness falls.

Water injection: power up, full-load fuel consumption down.
The engine powering the BMW Concept M4 GTS is equipped with the same innovative water injection system that has endowed the BMW M4 MotoGP Safety Car with a noticeable increase in output and torque.

The water injection system introduced by BMW M Division sees the engineers using the physical effect of water when vaporising to draw the required energy from the ambient medium. The water is injected into the plenums of the intake manifold as a fine spray. When the water vaporises, the intake air cools significantly. As a result, the final compression temperature in the combustion chamber – and therefore the engine’s tendency to “knock” – is reduced, enabling the turbocharged engine to use higher boost pressure and earlier injection timing.

This technology ensures an increase in output and torque, while at the same time reducing the thermal stress on performance-relevant components. All of which also enhances the stability and durability of the turbocharged engine. The BMW Concept M4 GTS therefore brings high-performance technology directly from the race track to the road.

OLED rear lights radiate ultra-high precision.
The BMW Concept M4 GTS is fitted with innovative rear lights featuring OLED technology. OLEDs (organic light-emitting diodes) are a new type of light source producing full-surface and homogenous illumination – in contrast to LEDs, which emit light to a single point. Their low installation height of just 1.4 millimetres and the ability to actuate individual light modules separately create fresh design scope in lighting concepts. OLED technology enables extra flexibility and forges an unmistakable appearance that signals exceptional precision.

OLED technology heralds a new era in light design and lighting concepts, and opens up new possibilities when it comes to a characteristic and distinctive light signature for BMW models – both for their daytime driving lights and during the hours of darkness.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161549

Evo X

That orange on the wheels and front lip have GOT to go. Pepboys special wing also ruins the clean lines of the car IMO.

Also, the last M3 GTS was priced at like $170K.

No thanks. At that price, I'd rather have a 911 Turbo, GT3, or plethora of slightly used exotics.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Need some guidance Gaf, someone in my city is selling a 2004 ford mustang 40th anniversary edition, looks brand spanking new, has been safetied for a year and has only been driven 86,000 km. The original price for it was 7,500 but I bartered with the guy and reduced it to 6,200. Do you think it is a good buy?

Lmao. Some tool on Rennlist is trying to sell his GT4 for $160K. That's new GT3 money and creeping close to used McLaren and Lambo territory.

Says he already turned down a $30K over sticker offer. The forum rightfully calls him out for being a greedy delusional scumbag for going to an enthusiast website to flip a car, and he gets super defensive, mentioning that he is a veteran who has taken bullets for us, saying he is wealthier than everyone else there, and then starts listing all the nice cars and property he has.

If you have some free time, you can see the meltdown/thread backfire here. Real fun starts at post #68.

I LOVE when stuff like this goes down. Honestly what did he expect to happen?

People who try to profit off of genuine enthusiasts should shoulder this type of fallout.

GHG

Gold Member
2015-mercedes-benz-s63-am-6_1600x0w.jpg

Mercedes-Benz+S+65+AMG+Coup%C3%A9+(2015)+Interior.jpg

2015-s-class-coupe-future-gallery-010-goi-d.jpg

gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd

lord help me if i ever get lifetime mula

Yep. These are stunning, stunning cars. I'm starting to see them quite often here in Dubai now but it never gets old. One day. One day...

Also, look at what the smoking tire uploaded a few days ago:

http://youtu.be/cOUe0YyqxTk

It's a sign! Now if I could find an unmolested one in this desert town...

Anion

And yeah, I use my GTS for everything. It's a great daily driver, although it does attract too much attention sometimes due to the color scheme and loud exhaust. The other night, I had some douchebags in a Pontaic GrandAm blow past me, cut me off, brake check me, then throw their lit cigarettes out the windows, and flip me off.

I was driving home normally after hanging out with some friends, so I can only assume they were jealous assholes.
Man I hate people like that. At least at the end of the day you drive off in a GTS and they drive off being salty haha

Hahaha thanks for sharing this. I legitimately am so glad that he wasn't able to sell it at that price and now it's at $100k lol. Also I love when he says:
"They drew first blood, not me.

They drew first blood..."

Like seriously lmao. This guy

ameratsu

Need some guidance Gaf, someone in my city is selling a 2004 ford mustang 40th anniversary edition, looks brand spanking new, has been safetied for a year and has only been driven 86,000 km. The original price for it was 7,500 but I bartered with the guy and reduced it to 6,200. Do you think it is a good buy?

From a quick google, it's an appearance package for either the base (v6) or GT model. Is the car you're looking at a base or GT?

I wouldn't buy just based on that package. Are you Canadian?

Yes.

Also that chin splitter, god damn does that ever not belong on a road car. I'd comment on the wing but...well I love the GT3 RS so I can't knock the M4 for having something just as outrageous. Though I do think it fits better on the 911 than the M4.

I could see that easily getting completely wrecked at a parking spot bumper with the way I've seen some people park.

Jackson

Def was a good time.

Z06 has been great so far.

IMG_0772_zpsxo2kppuo.jpg

My buddy traded his GTR in for the Z51 C7 (was going to get a Boxster GTS, but long wait list vs this Z51). I got to drive the new Vette a bunch last weekend. It's a very nice car and I'm not an American car guy at all.

I liked the heads updisplace.

Too man modes tho. Eco/Street/Sport/Track/Track Rain/Track Dry/Track Blah/Trach Race/Track Track to the Max lol so confusing

But for such a heavy car it steers really well. I kept it in track steering, the other steering settings felt way too light for me.

Anyway... ya great car I can only imagine the z06 being even more bonkers.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Def was a good time.

Z06 has been great so far.

IMG_0772_zpsxo2kppuo.jpg

I always see someone in my area in Florida with a Z06 identical to yours. And a red one with a Z07 package on it.

Red Z06 is driven like a banshee. And I'm always like:

ThatIsAwesomeOldSchool_zps7a18cbe6.gif

matmanx1

They aren't street legal in the states. But the V6 Cup can be purchased for track purposes. The only thing you can buy and drive off a lot here in the states is the Evora. Lotus says they will bring the Elise and Exige back in street legal form by 2020... or some shit like that.

Also:
If Car Commercials Were Honest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmQE4qdb9fg

Sadness regarding the Exige and Elise. Hopefully Lotus will have them back street legal in the USA sooner rather than later. Also, that car commercial is fantastic and awesome.

Depends. My heart says "yes" but my head says we need more information.

Damn... That is a nice garage.

I have all of about 5 square feet for my shit in my parent's garage. I need to move out so I can actually work on things.

So my friend's WRX is arriving Monday. He's gonna take the ESC off the car this weekend. I wonder how fast I can get that controller in, because he still has the first version with just the on/off pedal switch...

So my friend's WRX is arriving Monday. He's gonna take the ESC off the car this weekend. I wonder how fast I can get that controller in, because he still has the first version with just the on/off pedal switch...

For a second there I was like, why the fnck are you gonna remove the electric stability control of a WRX?! LOLOL.

Just curious, why didn't he go for the STi instead? I mean sure, BRZ -> WRX is already a big jump, but I personally wouldn't get an WRX knowing that the STi is the "ultimate" version. I can understand if it was due to finances, but I'd probably just keep the BRZ for a while until Scooby finally dumps the EJ257... or is that his reasoning as well?

Anyway, had an "epiphany" today... the weather was gorgeous during dusk so I went out for a drive with the top down to pick up some whey protein powder at my favorite nutritional shop. On the way home, I was trying to beat oncoming traffic and need to turn to the left, so I dropped it in 2nd gear and punched it. Lo and behold, as soon as I hit the apex the car starts rotating and on it went until it just straightened it out by itself.

And at the moment I felt that slide, I was at peace, with smiles and asked myself... why the fnck am I even thinking of trading this car?

I've been spending this entire week looking at AutoTrader, Cars, and Edmunds trying to see what faster car would be financially viable and I've actually been excited all day as my Mazda dealer finally has a ND Club that I can test drive tomorrow, provided nobody buys it before I get there. But that one moment earlier might've completely turned the tide... maybe this was my NC telling me to keep her instead?

For a second there I was like, why the fnck are you gonna remove the electric stability control of a WRX?! LOLOL.

Just curious, why didn't he go for the STi instead? I mean sure, BRZ -> WRX is already a big jump, but I personally wouldn't get an WRX knowing that the STi is the "ultimate" version. I can understand if it was due to finances, but I'd probably just keep the BRZ for a while until Scooby finally dumps the EJ257... or is that his reasoning as well?

Anyway, had an "epiphany" today... the weather was gorgeous during dusk so I went out for a drive with the top down to pick up some whey protein powder at my favorite nutritional shop. On the way home, I was trying to beat oncoming traffic and need to turn to the left, so I dropped it in 2nd gear and punched it. Lo and behold, as soon as I hit the apex the car starts rotating and on it went until it just straightened it out by itself.

And at the moment I felt that slide, I was at peace, with smiles and asked myself... why the fnck am I even thinking of trading this car?

I've been spending this entire week looking at AutoTrader, Cars, and Edmunds trying to see what faster car would be financially viable and I've actually been excited all day as my Mazda dealer finally has a ND Club that I can test drive tomorrow, provided nobody buys it before I get there. But that one moment earlier might've completely turned the tide... maybe this was my NC telling me to keep her instead?

Yeah the STi's on the lot have insane markup and while he wanted the suspension setup the STi's have, he wanted the FA20 Turbo more. He really wasn't interested in the EJ257. And he likes working on his cars so he wanted to start off with a WRX. He's also got such a good deal on the WRX that it's like only $100 more a month than the FR-S in payments. He worked with a family friend at the dealer. I'm pretty envious, but not so much that I won't buy the parts from him.

Also there's something magical about finding the sweet spots of your car. Every time I get the back out and the tires squeal a bit but I reign it in and go on my merry way, I giggle like a 10 year old with a hot wheels car.

Viperbah

My buddy traded his GTR in for the Z51 C7 (was going to get a Boxster GTS, but long wait list vs this Z51). I got to drive the new Vette a bunch last weekend. It's a very nice car and I'm not an American car guy at all.

I liked the heads updisplace.

Too man modes tho. Eco/Street/Sport/Track/Track Rain/Track Dry/Track Blah/Trach Race/Track Track to the Max lol so confusing

But for such a heavy car it steers really well. I kept it in track steering, the other steering settings felt way too light for me.

Anyway... ya great car I can only imagine the z06 being even more bonkers.

I have never driven a base C7 so I can't compare how different the z06 is from that.

I always see someone in my area in Florida with a Z06 identical to yours. And a red one with a Z07 package on it.

Red Z06 is driven like a banshee. And I'm always like:

Haha, I am still in break in so I haven't really tested it yet. I will probably take it to the local strip after that (and while it's still stock). As far as taking it to VIR...I am not really sure yet. I had my c6 z & viper out a couple of times, but I kind of want to just build a track car now.

Sweet car and workshop man!

Damn... That is a nice garage.

Thanks!

Wtf is that wet shit on your floor. Clean that crap up , embarrassing yourself.....:p

lol. When are we epoxying your floor?

Jackson

There's a '15 Bentley Continental GT3R at my local dealer. There's only 99 in the U.S. and just 300 worldwide.

~$350k. About $130K over the standard version.

It's a unicorn, but I wouldn't buy one if I had the money. Still cool to see in person though. (I just took these pics from the dealer's website btw).

AWD
4840 pounds
590HP from a Twin-Turbo'd V8 found in the Audi RS7
0-60 in 3.6sec

CTQ5NlE.jpg

5QSJhJz.jpg

rvqYFHm.jpg

mR6uQOc.jpg

FPCIwV1.jpg

So much for that ND Club test drive...

My salesguy texted me this morning, saying somebody already put a deposit on it unseen so I wasn't gonna be able to even sit in it. Guy finally shows up an hour ago and decides to take it home. ;_______;

So I went to the Back to the Bricks car show in Flint, MI, today, and am bad at taking pictures!

It's a seriously huge event, I'm looking down this street at at least a quarter mile of cars and that's probably one quarter of what was there. Note: Image reflective of general unattractiveness of Michigan residents.

Another shot of the main area including my car (along with a couple of guys feeling up its butt), which I snuck into prime real estate a few hours after the show started. Another PCA guy saw the spot open up and held it for me, pretty cool!

It is a truckvertible. The bed was wood plank with a monster nitrous tank in it. Most of the cars were just old Detroit steel, but some were decidedly odd.

I am so very tired of these fucking things.

They had a mobile dyno set up, and for $40 how could I say no? I had to wait a little while but I think it was worth it for the "what the hell is that" looks from the folks watching the dyno runs (Of course one doofus decided it was appropriate to educate me on Porsche's Volkswagen lineage). Apparently it was the first time they had ever run a Porsche on the dyno at a show, so that's neat.

And hey, dyno inaccuracies aside, the car is making about 164 whp when stock it made 180 at the crank! Aside from tuning and diligent maintenance, the only modification is a cat bypass--I guess it helped.

So that was fun. Mostly boring old American cars, but there was a Testarossa, a Diablo convertible, and a handful of MGs, so not a total bust on the variety front. Seriously though, if I see one more classic Camaro this week I'm going to puke.

Big-E

Is this the place to ask mechanic type questions? I have a 96 Toyota 4Runner that is doing something weird. It is an automatic and when I put it in drive, the car barely moves. I am on a flat surface and barely moving. If I put it in reverse, I go back a lot quicker and acts like normal. Driving it is fine onece I give it gas and I can control it fine without touching anything. It also makes a noise 3 seconds after putting it in drive and releasing the brake. The noise seens tonbe coming from the hood. I would take it in tona shop, but I am in a tiny town right now and no one is open on Sunday.

Evo X

There's a '15 Bentley Continental GT3R at my local dealer. There's only 99 in the U.S. and just 300 worldwide.

~$350k. About $130K over the standard version.

It's a unicorn, but I wouldn't buy one if I had the money. Still cool to see in person though.

Saw one a month ago at a local cars & coffee in the same color scheme.

I find the whole concept of a Bentley GT3 absurd. Not the car for me.

Since there's a mechanical question just above me I'll complain a bit about my situation too.

My 1999 Saab 9-5 started acting weird like three months ago. Occasionally it won't feed fuel properly - it'll drop revs while on neutral with the gas pedal not doing anything. Even more annoying if it happens while driving because no fuel going into the engine means the car shakes around like hell. The Saab service here just replaced the fuel mixture hose which they said was leaking but it didn't end up fixing my problem. Thought it might be the fuel pump but they checked and that's okay.
Went to another place too and they said they can't do anything as long as the problem still shows up so irregularly.

Just wanted to vent but if anyone has some ideas then do speak.

Ettie

I went by my local Mazda dealership and sat in the new Miata yesterday. I like it, very cozy inside but I'm a little guy so it doesn't bother me. The new wide feel is an improvement IMO. When they get a hardtop and a color palette with more excitement than Buick I may give it a serious look.

Is this the place to ask mechanic type questions? I have a 96 Toyota 4Runner that is doing something weird. It is an automatic and when I put it in drive, the car barely moves. I am on a flat surface and barely moving. If I put it in reverse, I go back a lot quicker and acts like normal. Driving it is fine onece I give it gas and I can control it fine without touching anything. It also makes a noise 3 seconds after putting it in drive and releasing the brake. The noise seens tonbe coming from the hood. I would take it in tona shop, but I am in a tiny town right now and no one is open on Sunday.

Well, check the fluid level for the trans, fill if low. Aside from that, drive it until it stops working, then rebuild. I don't know if I've ever heard of an automatic transmission problem that didn't end with a rebuild/replace.

Since there's a mechanical question just above me I'll complain a bit about my situation too.

My 1999 Saab 9-5 started acting weird like three months ago. Occasionally it won't feed fuel properly - it'll drop revs while on neutral with the gas pedal not doing anything. Even more annoying if it happens while driving because no fuel going into the engine means the car shakes around like hell. The Saab service here just replaced the fuel mixture hose which they said was leaking but it didn't end up fixing my problem. Thought it might be the fuel pump but they checked and that's okay.
Went to another place too and they said they can't do anything as long as the problem still shows up so irregularly.

Just wanted to vent but if anyone has some ideas then do speak.

Does it ever stumble under acceleration or just idle? If it's just idle I'd guess something with the O2 sensors or their connections. Fuel issues would present more under load I'd think.

Sounds like a clutch pack is sticking or has work out maybe?

Oxn

Can someone explain this simple question about Push to Start for me?

What happen if my car is started, and I walk very far away from the car with my keys?

or

If I have my car started, and someone jumps in a drives off, but I still have the keys?

What happen if my car is started, and I walk very far away from the car with my keys?

or

If I have my car started, and someone jumps in a drives off, but I still have the keys?

On most once the car is started it's on till whoever turns it off.

Meaning don't let someone jump in and drive away.

You are not from the west coast. Most cars are now Teslas.

dont you live in atlanta? how the hell have you not seen one till now lol, things are everywhere here. Especially midtown.
I've seen a crapton of Leafs down here but when I went to the BBQ festival yesterday, I saw the Tesla charging stations in the garage.
They're so cool.

or

It's the same principle as when someone jumps into a car with the keys in it. Except it won't start again without the keys.

Top Bottom