• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So curious...test driving these cars and then the Bentley event.

You slanging that rock or what breh how you getting this type of access.

love,
Smokey

I wanna say that Evo is the one with the weed shop? But I don't think IL has legalized marijuana. So I may be off base. I know that someone here is in that business though. LOL

Evo X

So curious...test driving these cars and then the Bentley event.

You slanging that rock or what breh how you getting this type of access.

love,
Smokey

When I was in my character creator screen, I dumped all the points in Charisma, Intelligence, and Luck. lol

Seriously though, not doing anything special man. Just been working hard since I was 12 on various online businesses and it's paying off.

As for how I get access to the cars, it's honestly just by meeting and talking to folks in the industry. Trust me, if you can afford any of these toys, sales people will beg you to come in and test drive everything they have.

I've also made some well connected contacts through work and attending super car meets this summer. I'm really passionate about cars and people can sense that. They know I'm eventually gonna buy something from them and bring more business into the dealership because of wealthy family/friends that all come to me for car and dealer recommendations.

Of course, that shiny red Porsche also opens a lot of doors. I'm sure these they would tell me to kick rocks if they saw me driving some old Hyundai. lol

They see a young confident guy roll in like a boss and give me the keys to anything I want without hesitation. Even I was a little surprised at first. I mean it's a nice car, but there is definitely some X-factor about this loud sexy GTS which leads everyone I've met, even fellow car enthusiasts, to automatically assume it's more expensive and rare than it actually is.

I've had a bunch of workers at various dealerships come outside to check out the car. They're disappointed when I tell them I'm not planning on trading it in because they were excited to take it for a joyride.

Finally, if anyone takes a single piece of advice from me, let it be the following. You can get a lot in this life by simply ASKING for it. Most people are too intimated to even try. They'll think it's unrealistic to ever have a dream job, super car, or that 10/10 girl, so they never bother. A lot of limitations are self imposed by the mind. Don't let that shit hold you back from what you really want.

I wanna say that Evo is the one with the weed shop? But I don't think IL has legalized marijuana. So I may be off base. I know that someone here is in that business though. LOL

That's No Love, although we may be working together in some capacity in the future.

AlphaSnake

When I was in my character creator screen, I dumped all the points in Charisma, Intelligence, and Luck. lol

Seriously though, not doing anything special man. Just been working hard since I was 12 on various online businesses and it's paying off.

As for how I get access to the cars, it's honestly just by meeting and talking to folks in the industry. Trust me, if you can afford any of these toys, sales people will beg you to come in and test drive everything they have.

I've also made some well connected contacts through work and attending super car meets this summer. I'm really passionate about cars and people can sense that. They know I'm eventually gonna buy something from them and bring more business into the dealership because of wealthy family/friends that all come to me for car and dealer recommendations.

Of course, that shiny red Porsche also opens a lot of doors. I'm sure these they would tell me to kick rocks if they saw me driving some old Hyundai. lol

They see a young confident guy roll in like a boss and give me the keys to anything I want without hesitation. Even I was a little surprised at first. I mean it's a nice car, but there is definitely some X-factor about this loud sexy GTS which leads everyone I've met, even fellow car enthusiasts, to automatically assume it's more expensive and rare than it actually is.

I've had a bunch of workers at various dealerships come outside to check out the car. They're disappointed when I tell them I'm not planning on trading it in because they were excited to take it for a joyride.

Finally, if anyone takes a single piece of advice from me, let it be the following. You can get a lot in this life by simply ASKING for it. Most people are too intimated to even try. They'll think it's unrealistic to ever have a dream job, super car, or that 10/10 girl, so they never bother. A lot of limitations are self imposed by the mind. Don't let that shit hold you back from what you really want.

That's No Love, although we may be working together in some capacity in the future.

Ah yes. Thank you for shedding some clarity during this 1AM haze.

And yes, totally agreed. Meet the right folk and they'll let you drive it all. It's how I get seat time in a lot of cars myself.

Zoolader

That wold be No Love. The dude who just just bought 3 cars this weekend because he felt like it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
My next car is probably going to be a compact hatchback 5-door. Something like a Ford Focus or Kia Forte5. I know the '16 Civic is going to have a 5-door, but it won't be available for a while and it'll have a CVT.

Pterion

Love all the fancy cars in this thread. I may be too fiscally conservative, but this is 7-figure income territory imo... True ballers in here.

Anyway, I test drove a bunch of cars lately (Lexus IS350 AWD, Audi S3 and S4) and going for a M235i and 435i test drive later today. Also considering waiting for Jaguar XE-S, C450 AMG and the new Audi S4. Or I wait another year, save a bit and get into a 991 GTS and call it a day. I'm aware that I am all over the map, but I don't care. I could swing either way, but I am looking for something that gets me excited every time I step into it. Still searching, but I did enjoy that little S3.

In other news, I saw a Porsche 918 the other day. Wow, what a machine!

Bandit1

Awesome purchase, have driven a few and they are both comfortable on open road and really responsive for a larger Japanese car when you are pushing them.

So many mods available too.

May as well share my baby too, ever since I was a kid I dreamed of a proper WRC limited edition WRX from the V4-6 era but they are rare as hens teeth in any condition let alone in good condition so I was stoked when an unmolested one popped up locally.

1999 V6 STI RA Limited Edition #141

Only mods are a 3" straight through exhaust, baffled sump and SARD attack timer but it runs 18psi standard due to the exhaust so its plenty quick.

Body has done 270kms but the engine has done 70k on a rebuild from Possum Bourne Motorsport, was over the moon to view the car and get handed an inch thick folder of receipts for all servicing and the rebuild since it landed in New Zealand, the previous owner really took care of it.

I got it like the first pic but I have since replaced the ghetto blue tints with 35% all round and sourced an original spoiler for it (cost me a pretty penny)

xtyihfuw.4nv.jpg

0mlwlbeg.1ba.png

Sweet car!

boltz

My next car is probably going to be a compact hatchback 5-door. Something like a Ford Focus or Kia Forte5. I know the '16 Civic is going to have a 5-door, but it won't be available for a while and it'll have a CVT.

I like what Kia has done with the Forte5. I like the styling, and you get a good amount of stuff for your money and can get their 1.6 liter turbo with it. However I'm surprised that I barely see them on the road.

Hello, I would appreciate some recommendations for a hatchback/sedan/anything else that is relatively affordable and has a decent output.

In Illinois here and one of my favorites is a WRX for AWD in the winter but I don't know if I want to make a big jump like that on my first car and with my long commutes. I was also looking at the upcoming civic but not sure how I feel about it.

Also, should I buy used or new? I'm 24, settling into a new business position. I have a very amateur knowledge in cars, and I do like japanese cars. My commute to work is actually about an hour at the moment... 23.4 miles each way. Looking to move closer but I won't be able to for some time. Just want a humble durable machine that feels good to drive and has some character.

Thank you!

GHG

Gold Member
Hello, I would appreciate some recommendations for a hatchback/sedan/anything else that is relatively affordable and has a decent output.

In Illinois here and one of my favorites is a WRX for AWD in the winter but I don't know if I want to make a big jump like that on my first car and with my long commutes. I was also looking at the upcoming civic but not sure how I feel about it.

Also, should I buy used or new? I'm 24, settling into a new business position. I have a very amateur knowledge in cars, and I do like japanese cars. My commute to work is actually about an hour at the moment... 23.4 miles each way. Looking to move closer but I won't be able to for some time. Just want a humble durable machine that feels good to drive and has some character.

Thank you!

Mazda 3 series MPS (I think they are called the Mazdaspeed versions in the US?).

Buy a good used example, don't pay for depreciation unless you are absolutely rolling in it.

Or an MK5 VW Golf R32. Sound great and have 4WD which might be a bonus for you.

Mazda 3 series MPS (I think they are called the Mazdaspeed versions in the US?).

Buy a good used example, don't pay for depreciation unless you are absolutely rolling in it.

These are great ideas. Mazda 3 series was something I was looking at too, seems to fit most of my needs. I think I am leaning towards a used car as well, like you said.

The R32 has always been one of my admirations, I just wonder if they are prone to repairs and such. I don't see very many around me, with 80k+ miles.

Btw, do you think recent happenings at VW affect value of any such older models?

GHG

Gold Member
These are great ideas. Mazda 3 series was something I was looking at too, seems to fit most of my needs. I think I am leaning towards a used car as well, like you said.

The R32 has always been one of my admirations, I just wonder if they are prone to repairs and such. I don't see very many around me, with 80k+ miles.

Btw, do you think recent happenings at VW affect value of any such older models?

Like always when buying used research the year of car you are looking into buying and find out what the common issues are so you know what questions to ask before buying and things to look out for. That way there are no surprises. There will be common issues with every car, you just need to find out how common and severe they can be before buying. With the mk5 r32's I think you need to look out for issues with the DSG gearbox but apart from that I think the powertrain has proven to be solid.

And no, the recent VW happenings will only effect newer diesel models to be honest. The mk5 r32 should hold it's value relatively well since it's the last of the v6 R series golfs before they went with the turbocharged 4 cylinder engine.

AlphaSnake

None of those cars are reliable at all. MazdaSpeed 3s are known to have expensive failures past 70K miles. And a 10+ year old used and rare Volkswagen with limited parts availability with high mileage? Are you serious? Disaster all around.

GHG

Gold Member
None of those cars are reliable at all. MazdaSpeed 3s are known to have expensive failures past 70K miles. And a 10+ year old used and rare Volkswagen with limited parts availability with high mileage? Are you serious? Disaster all around.

There is nothing at all wrong with the mk5 r32 in terms of reliability. Provided the car has been taken care of and has been serviced when required of by the previous owner there shouldn't be any major issues outside of the regular maintenance schedule. Like I said the DSG is the major thing to look out for on these, you need to make sure the gearbox has also been serviced when required.

Can't speak of the Mazdaspeed 3 (maybe someone else can comment) since I've never shopped for one but a well looked after mk5 r32 is not a "disaster" by any means.

And since when were VW parts rare? They haven't been rare anywhere I've ever lived and there is a very strong aftermarket for VW in general. The vr6 engine used in the r32 was actually pretty common across the VW group lineup.

None of those cars are reliable at all. MazdaSpeed 3s are known to have expensive failures past 70K miles.

That's the first generation MS3's.

Besides the majority of the failures are from dipshit kids thinking they can just raise boost without accounting for other parts.

The 2nd gen MS3's are actually fairly reliable... Mazda actually takes time to refine and improve shit unlike other car companies out there.

And to be fair, even the 1st gen's are reliable if you know how to take care of it. I've seen a couple of Mazdaspeed6's(same internal's as the MS3, except the chassis and AWD drivetrain in the 6) at above 100k and they're still running strong. The worst thing I've heard are clutches going out above 90k miles but that's fairly standard considering the car has decent torque.

matmanx1

Awesome purchase, have driven a few and they are both comfortable on open road and really responsive for a larger Japanese car when you are pushing them.

May as well share my baby too, ever since I was a kid I dreamed of a proper WRC limited edition WRX from the V4-6 era but they are rare as hens teeth in any condition let alone in good condition so I was stoked when an unmolested one popped up locally.

1999 V6 STI RA Limited Edition #141

Only mods are a 3" straight through exhaust, baffled sump and SARD attack timer but it runs 18psi standard due to the exhaust so its plenty quick.

Body has done 270kms but the engine has done 70k on a rebuild from Possum Bourne Motorsport, was over the moon to view the car and get handed an inch thick folder of receipts for all servicing and the rebuild since it landed in New Zealand, the previous owner really took care of it.

I got it like the first pic but I have since replaced the ghetto blue tints with 35% all round and sourced an original spoiler for it (cost me a pretty penny)

xtyihfuw.4nv.jpg

0mlwlbeg.1ba.png

Fantastic! I will always have a place in my heart for those older Rex's.

Hahaha, what a perfect topic for these guys to take on.

Went to a credit union, and it seems like the APR is really high compared to what dealerships are offering. What are the different ways to get a lower APR?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I like what Kia has done with the Forte5. I like the styling, and you get a good amount of stuff for your money and can get their 1.6 liter turbo with it. However I'm surprised that I barely see them on the road.
I'm gonna see if there's one for a test drive at the local dealer.

Went to a credit union, and it seems like the APR is really high compared to what dealerships are offering. What are the different ways to get a lower APR?

The dealers may advertise a great rate but it is possible that when they actually run your credit, you may not be eligible for the best rate. If the dealer did run the credit, did they mention who you were financing from? OEM lenders (Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc) usually are willing to discount the APR a little bit.

Do you have an account at the Credit Union?

AlphaSnake

That new Scion/Toyota SFR is...ugly. The roofline is crazy high, imo. It doesn't look right.

EDIT: damnit, beaten.

If this comes to America I'd pick one up as a cheap track car. I'm terrified to take the FR-S out because it's my DD.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'd have to see it in person to really judge, but the pics don't look half bad to me.

FStop7

Banned
I hate the "Looks like a <car X> crossed with a <car Y> herp derp" comparisons because they're almost always wrong, but... I see Alfa 4C and Mini Cooper influences in that Toyota.

My dad got to drive one of those when he was in Okinawa. Car feels really big on the narrow roads in the country but it was smooth.

That's cool to hear! I've driven my friends on the skid pad but it was auto. I didn't get a chance to really push it on the actual track.

I need to purchase an 8 or 9 one day. While shopping for my current daily (STI) I test drove the X and I liked it. I came close to pulling the trigger, but the costs vs what's available was crazy (in Canada). It just wasn't worth it to spend more on a used X then a fully loaded used STI with less clicks.

Congratulations man! You actually got through the auction process way fast so good job there. You just missed the 1JZ meeting at Fuji so make sure to hit that up next year! Until then you've got plenty to enjoy like the Auto Salon, Daikoku, so much.

Edit: also, between everyone commenting on your JZX100 and the Evo love I do think this has been the most Japanese page I've ever seen in this thread! Finally something besides ze Germans and Jaguars!

Thanks my man! It was actuallya lot easier this time around then with my S15. I even came under budget!

I really want to do the1JZ meet (festival). I've seen pictures and videos of it over the years (even articles in Drift Tengoku) and it always looks like a good time with nice cars in the pits, and on the track. Being in the same proximity as all those venders would leave me rather poor by the end of it HA!

I'll REALLY have to do it after I attend a drift matsuri weekend (that's next on my list of things to do in Japan).

Cheers, and nice Subaru! I actually own a GVB STI for a daily.

AlphaSnake

Buying a car for your parents is such a fucking monumental task. In June it was my dad. Now it's my mom. Tried leasing her a Benz GLA250 4Matic, but the leases on them are surprisingly poor all of a sudden. $440 for a $38K car? Wtf.

Now trying to convince mom that she doesn't need a little SUV and that the Infiniti Q50 is a much, much better car and deal. Trying to secure one for mid-300s.

FStop7

Banned
BMW going hard on the fringe benefits with the new 7. It's a shame the car is hideous compared to the S Class because it comes with a lot of nice stuff. But it has like zero cachet.

Included with every 7:

PRIORITY SERVICE
Your time is valuable, so 7 Series owners will receive priority scheduling and expedited service within 48 hours.

BMW
VALET SERVICE
When it’s time for service, BMW offers complimentary pickup and drop-off from your home or office. A comparable BMW loaner vehicle is provided.

BMW
SUPREME VEHICLE SPA
A complimentary vehicle spa treatment for your 7 Series, once yearly. This is a comprehensive detailing, done to factory standards, to keep your car looking and smelling showroom new.

BMW
BMW ENCORE®
After your initial delivery, a private in&#8209;person follow&#8209;up with a BMW representative at a place and time of your choosing, will help you acclimate to the features, performance and capabilities of your all-new 7 Series Sedan.

BMW
24/7 CONCIERGE SUPPORT
A BMW Expert Concierge is at your beck and call, there to assist with mobility services and other ownership&#8209;related inquiries.

AlphaSnake

BMW going hard on the fringe benefits with the new 7. It's a shame the car is hideous compared to the S Class because it comes with a lot of nice stuff. But it has like zero cachet.

Included with every 7:

That's some cool stuff...but also says "we are really falling behind on the S-Class. Please buy this"

Zyzyxxz

I need to purchase an 8 or 9 one day. While shopping for my current daily (STI) I test drove the X and I liked it. I came close to pulling the trigger, but the costs vs what's available was crazy (in Canada). It just wasn't worth it to spend more on a used X then a fully loaded used STI with less clicks.
y.

Dam so jealous of your 15 years limit on importing cars! Stupid America has it at 25 years.

Anyway The USA isn't much better on EVO X's. My friend who recently bought one said all the dealers were acting like they were Ferraris. Shit I know its out of production but you ain't working for Porsche so why the snotty attitude.

Some of the dealers wouldn't even allow him to test drive the car he wanted to buy. Like hell he was going to buy a car he never drove before, he was probably going to give up on an EVO X because he had never driven one before but luckily one of the dealers had an enthusiasts working there and let him test drive it which is what sold him.

I'm a fan of the old school EVO look though and I'd love to track down a EVO 9 MR when the time comes.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That's cool to hear! I've driven my friends on the skid pad but it was auto. I didn't get a chance to really push it on the actual track.

My experience last year in Cali was the opposite, used sti's were generally 1 to 2k more than a comparable x. One of the reasons I got interested in possibly going with the evo over an sti.

Pterion

Pretty much decided to get either a M3/M4 or a C63 coupe (whenever it comes out here). Not getting a 991 at this point as the nickel and diming is simply too outrageous for me currently, but once my next lease is up I will reconsider.

Oxn

Pretty much decided to get either a M3/M4 or a C63 coupe (whenever it comes out here). Not getting a 991 at this point as the nickel and diming is simply too outrageous for me currently, but once my next lease is up I will reconsider.

C63 is my choice

Top Bottom