• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

coldfoot

Banned
As if there weren't enough ugly BMW's already, now they're making an i5. Maybe it'll be quad-core (4wd)?

2017-bmw-i5-artists-rendering-inline-new-photo-597223-s-original.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
As if there weren't enough ugly BMW's already, now they're making an i5. Maybe it'll be quad-core (4wd)?

2017-bmw-i5-artists-rendering-inline-new-photo-597223-s-original.jpg
I hope they have a performance series for these cars. Perhaps the 'K' series? :p
;____;

I'm pretty tired of seeing fucking old people drive Corvettes tho

I shall start the revolution. Young AND black. Younblack.
In a way, not only will you be cooler for having a Vette, you'll make the Vette cooler by being young and black. Truly a shining example of mutualism.

Smokey

Is there a reason why vettes trend to older people? I would think he performance in them would attract the opposite . I know younger people don't have as much money etc..but I don't really see old people driving AMGs or M cars around here.

mkenyon

Banned
Probably the same guys who grew up lusting after muscle/american cars, but could never afford one in their youth.

The foreign auto obsession definitely seems like "children of the 80s/90s" type thing. My dream cars when I was a teenager were the WRX, GT-R R33/34, Evo, and M5. I'd imagine if I have the money when I'm older, I'll hopefully pick up a GT-R.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I hope they have a performance series for these cars. Perhaps the 'K' series? :p

giphy.gif

Is there a reason why vettes trend to older people? I would think he performance in them would attract the opposite . I know younger people don't have as much money etc..but I don't really see old people driving AMGs or M cars around here.

Like mkenyon said, I feel that a lot of the older drivers of Vettes, Cameros, Mustangs, Challengers, and other 'muscle' cars nowadays are ones that either couldn't afford them when they were young or they are still obsessed with them from their youth.

My dream car is a Porsche 911 Turbo, so I'll probably be driving that when I'm older.

No Love

Banned
Oh failwheeldrive

YOU JUST GOT UNBANNED

Smh lol

I wonder what the GAF record is for the quickest re-ban.

I looked at his post history, and thought, "banned for talking about a threesome objectively!?!? The post he quoted was way worse!"

Then I saw the Fedora stuff. Oh FWD. You gotta stahp bruh. Get in e-arguments on reddit instead or something.

He's got the communication skills of a bull in a china shop. Doesn't work on gaf.

RIP in peace FWD

LOL.

I know we shouldn't discuss bans in other threads...but jeez, FWD needs to chill out sometimes.

Love you guys too. Lol. I got banned for posting a mean fedora picture of a GAF'er without knowing. Oops. :(

It's all good though... mods were super fair. <3

Picking up a neat, rare beater this week. Decided I don't want to deal with the headaches of the ever-failing E39 M5.

And end of June I hope to have something truly awesome to share with you all. But I can't talk about it yet until I'm more certain that I'll be able to acquire it. :eek:

No Love

Banned
Hyper boner worthy?

Glad you're back.

Thanks man! Glad to be back with you all. Yes, hyper-boner worthy. Like... my dick cries tears of joy at the thought of owning this car. It would be a dream come true.

Also, every time I see your username it just reminds me that I need to buy a couple of 780 or 780 Ti 6 GB's and SLI the fuck out of them.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks man! Glad to be back with you all. Yes, hyper-boner worthy. Like... my dick cries tears of joy at the thought of owning this car. It would be a dream come true.

Also, every time I see your username it just reminds me that I need to buy a couple of 780 or 780 Ti 6 GB's and SLI the fuck out of them.
Typo, meant hype boner :p

But the idea of a dick crying tears of joy brought a smile to my face on a high stress day. TY.

And yeah, go get some cards. For me too.

Smokey

You're welcome!!

Rise from yo grave. Again lol

And we were supposed to do business!! I have two 780tis a 3rd sure would be great...

Sure would. Pretty awesome.

mkenyon

Banned
You're welcome!!

What cards are you running right now?
290 and a 780 Ti KPE that I'm about to sell alongside a 7970 Matrix. Realized after playing around with it, I definitely overbought on the KPE. Plus I need to put together a third PC for Haz to use when he comes up for a LAN I'm hosting in 10 days.

Wait, wrong thread. CARS.

No Love

Banned
Rise from yo grave. Again lol

And we were supposed to do business!! I have two 780tis a 3rd sure would be great...

Sure would. Pretty awesome.

I need to find out if my contact still gets stuff for cheap. And if he can get 780's...

You got the 3GB or the 6 GB?

290 and a 780 Ti KPE that I'm about to sell alongside a 7970 Matrix. Realized after playing around with it, I definitely overbought on the KPE. Plus I need to put together a third PC for Haz to use when he comes up for a LAN I'm hosting in 10 days.

Wait, wrong thread. CARS.

Oh cool... never a bad idea to have both team red and team green stuff. Best of both worlds.

Where you at?

mkenyon

Banned
Thurston County, WA. A bit outside of Olympia.

Generally keep one of both team's cards around. They're both awesome.

No Love

Banned
Thurston County, WA. A bit outside of Olympia.

Generally keep one of both team's cards around. They're both awesome.

I know Hazaro pretty well, I've sent him a few PM's and IM him when he's online. Really awesome guy. Cool that you guys are throwing a LAN party! Haven't been to one of those in years.

Awww :(

Cooling or a little bit of everything?

Just everything... the sensors, just all the little shit that adds up. Maybe I'll get one later on but right now I'm laser-focused on a really wonderful, super rare gem that I want to pick up at the end of June when it's more feasible to drop a chunk of "play money" on it.

mkenyon

Banned
I know Hazaro pretty well, I've sent him a few PM's and IM him when he's online. Really awesome guy. Cool that you guys are throwing a LAN party! Haven't been to one of those in years.
I do one a year to get all my pals together. 30 years old and still living like a kid. Except instead of cheetos and mountain dew, it's aged whiskey and pulled pork. :p

Tayaya

are you noloveforfailwheeldrives alt account?!

what year STi?

Nope, and the STi was a 2003. I didn't have it for very long due to some problems I had with Subaru's service department and their attitudes. Basically I had the fuel pump go at 5,000 miles, and in the three weeks it took them to diagnose and replace that they managed to mess up my timing just enough to trigger a CEL every 3 weeks for the entire time I owned the car... I left it stock because I didn't want to put any work into it until they got it fixed properly, and they still tried repeatedly to void my warranty citing modifications I "must have removed before bringing the car in for service." Worst ownership experience of any car I've owned, but not because of the car... the car was pretty excellent when it was running properly. I traded it in for the Evo VIII though, and was much happier for it.

Guys! Progressive snapshot killed my car battery. I am upset T_T

I didn't know such thing could happen with that device.

Does it give you a large discount? When I was comparing insurance quotes, I was only offered something like 5% off for installing such a device.

mkenyon

Banned
#YOLOSWAG420

Just because someone knows what cars are rad, doesn't mean they have class. I have a friend who has lots of good info about cars, and always seems to make smart buys. But the guy has zero taste when it comes to interior design, and thinks anything with wood trim is hideous. But, Dexter is also his favorite TV show, so, you know.

Smokey

WTF. He almost stalled it at 52 seconds. And dat clutch use trying to load it on the ramp? Uhhh, dude should've been feathering that clutch in and out with every rev kick. Idk what the fuck he was doing.

Trying to ruin Americas Car?

Dat exhaust and presence tho

Malvingt2

Does it give you a large discount? When I was comparing insurance quotes, I was only offered something like 5% off for installing such a device.

it got me a 14% in just one month but I can't use it anymore. It sucks because I know I can get more discounts. The device is dangerous for my car.

it got me a 14% in just one month but I can't use it anymore. It sucks because I know I can get more discounts. The device is dangerous for my car.

14% is tempting but a shame about the battery. Can you install a drain protection circuit? I know some people have installed those to prevent their dashcams from draining the battery past a certain %.

Malvingt2

14% is tempting but a shame about the battery. Can you install a drain protection circuit? I know some people have installed those to prevent their dashcams from draining the battery past a certain %.

I have to ask to see if I can. The discounts that you can get with them can go down until a 30% in 6 months. Something that I wanted to do because I am a first time owner of a car and my insurance is kind it high. From $163.83 a month went down to $131.33 thanks to the Snapshot.

I'm back from falling on the sword for Jezza.

I drove an i3 last week. It was weird. Instant torque is still a glorious thing, regardless of how much power you get to put down with it. I've driven a Model S and obviously it was far more fun to bolt down an on-ramp in that, but the i3 was very responsive in city driving, which is all I did with it. The dash felt weird. There's so much open space all around that it almost feels cheap in a way, but I guess it's just because it's different. I'd love to get a chance to test drive the i8, the dealership down the street may get one next year from what the salesman told me.

I also found out that apparently there are Cars & Coffee meets in St. Louis. Going to that with a friend this Saturday which should be fun. I'll also have a chance to put the camera on my GS5 to use, as opposed to the broken piece of shit on my GS2. If I find any gems, I'll be sure to share 'em.

Granadier

#YOLOSWAG420

Just because someone knows what cars are rad, doesn't mean they have class. I have a friend who has lots of good info about cars, and always seems to make smart buys. But the guy has zero taste when it comes to interior design, and thinks anything with wood trim is hideous. But, Dexter is also his favorite TV show, so, you know.

Yes. Putting that lighting, in a car at that price tag just screams cheapness to me. Compared to the offerings from Audi and BMW it really looks crappy in my opinion.

The guy in that video seemed to me like he would be more comfortable in a Honda Civic or a Nissan Sentra.

Just picked up my new car, Land Rover Freelander 2 2.2TD4e. Looking forward to taking it off-road and doing some shooting out in the middle of nowhere. I believe it's called the LR2 in the US

Z2FdNtmh.jpg

Certainly pulls well in 6th down the motorway, dat torque.

TylerD

I got the full 30% when I had my Accord and would be able to do the same with my 330ci easily since I walk to work 5 days a week but the device interferes with my clutch foot so I deemed it unsafe. Tried talking to them and seeing if they would give me allowance to qualify for it without the snapshot device but no dice.

mkenyon

Banned
Just picked up my new car, Land Rover Freelander 2 2.2TD4e. Looking forward to taking it off-road and doing some shooting out in the middle of nowhere. I believe it's called the LR2 in the US

Certainly pulls well in 6th down the motorway, dat torque.
That just screams class. Gorgeous.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Facelifted 2015 370Z Nismo revealed today:

2015-nissan-370z-nismo-front-side-view.jpg

WGobMTy.jpg

5qHw2Dc.jpg

Specs:
Can be had with 7-speed auto optional + magnesium paddles.
Can be had with tech package (finally!).
Now includes blacked out headlights (I had this done to my car, but now it's a factory option).
350HP
Nismo Exhaust
Nismo Tune
New Front, Rear, and Skirts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/16/2015-nissan-370-z-nismo-revealed-pics/

It looks beautiful, imo. Absolutely gorgeous. If I still had my 370Z, I'd have traded it in for this immediately.

So my journey to 90's Japanese car ownership is almost here. My S15 Silvia has landed (FINALLY), and it's currently at the importers shop. They have to do a few things to make it road legal, but from what I was told, it's mechanically sound.

I'm actually heading over tomorrow to take a look, and give my final payment. I should have it on the road in two weeks. Insurance was a treat, but it's sorted for the most part (just waiting for the total). Once I give the okay for the pricing, then it can be plated and she's coming home.

It's going to be hard trying to sleep tonight...

Laekon

Hope you all don't mind a maintenance question. I have a 2008 GTI with low mileage and ran into an instance of brake drag recently. After being stuck behind a slow car on a long mtn decent I pulled over to check my location for a second and it seems one caliper didn't retract all the way. Once moving again it did retract so I'm thinking it's water in the brake fluid overheating. How often do you guys change your brake fluid? I'm sad to say I've never done it on a car before but I normally don't own cars this long.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hope you all don't mind a maintenance question. I have a 2008 GTI with low mileage and ran into an instance of brake drag recently. After being stuck behind a slow car on a long mtn decent I pulled over to check my location for a second and it seems one caliper didn't retract all the way. Once moving again it did retract so I'm thinking it's water in the brake fluid overheating. How often do you guys change your brake fluid? I'm sad to say I've never done it on a car before but I normally don't own cars this long.

Simple:

1) Every brake pad change should have brake fluid bled and topped off.

2) But more importantly, monitor the color of the brake fluid. If it is too dark, has possibly some light dusting or debris in it, it has to go immediately. New or good brake fluid has a decent amount of transparency to it - similar to say...olive oil.

3) Freezing calipers are fairly common, and it could simply be an issue of the caliper assembly itself.

Granadier

Facelifted 2015 370Z Nismo revealed today:
2015-nissan-370z-nismo-front-side-view.jpg

That is gorgeous! Really nice red accents Nissan. Well done.

giphy.gif

Along with what Alpha said already, if you experienced that brake issue you should bring your car into a VW dealer for a brake flush when you can. They have pressure bleeders that can flush the entire system of old brake fluid and replace it with the new, olive oil fresh fluid. It's relatively cheap to take care of as well. You can obviously do this yourself if you have the pressure bleeder or bring it to a different shop, but I've always had good luck with brakes at VW dealers.

Also FYI, if your ever in the mountain situation again with a slow car, just manual shift into a low gear like 2 or 1, or put your PRNDL into 2 or L. Then you can let the engine keep your car going slow instead of riding the brakes the whole way down.

Top Bottom