• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Tayaya

at least now I can say STis are better than EVOS

mwahaha

Owned 1 WRX STi and 2 Evos (VIII GSR and X GSR).

The STi sounded a lot better (that boxer rumble), but for me the Evo VIII was my favorite. The US version didn't have the ACD or any stability control in the 2003 and 2004 model years. It was just you and a really great connection to the drivetrain... I've never driven another car since that let me feel so connected to what was going on. I got in a LOT of trouble in the VIII. The X not so much - it was more refined and easier to use as a daily, but it just never felt the same as the VIII. It didn't feel as fast, I had a lot of ECU related problems even when running bone stock (and as such never did any work on it, even after Mitsubishi replaced the ECU with one from a 2010 Evo (mine was a 2008)), and the S-AWC system cut in even when I knew I wasn't at the limit of grip.

The pic of the Z06 with the unloaded suspension is great... I can hear the "wheeeeee!!!!" from here!

Hesemonni

Banned
oQaCWd2.jpg

Traded my '08 Audi A4 Allroad Quattro 2.0 TDi for a '13 BMW 330d. Has basically all the bells and whistles and the only thing it's lacking is xDrive. Picked it up a few weeks ago and so far I've been really happy with it.

Owned 1 WRX STi and 2 Evos (VIII GSR and X GSR).

The STi sounded a lot better (that boxer rumble), but for me the Evo VIII was my favorite. The US version didn't have the ACD or any stability control in the 2003 and 2004 model years. It was just you and a really great connection to the drivetrain... I've never driven another car since that let me feel so connected to what was going on. I got in a LOT of trouble in the VIII. The X not so much - it was more refined and easier to use as a daily, but it just never felt the same as the VIII. It didn't feel as fast, I had a lot of ECU related problems even when running bone stock (and as such never did any work on it, even after Mitsubishi replaced the ECU with one from a 2010 Evo (mine was a 2008)), and the S-AWC system cut in even when I knew I wasn't at the limit of grip.

The pic of the Z06 with the unloaded suspension is great... I can hear the "wheeeeee!!!!" from here!

are you noloveforfailwheeldrives alt account?!

what year STi?

$200

Banned
Reposting from OT1:

Guys I just bought my first car and need some help picking an insurance (Washington, US).

The thing is I drive very little, take buses to and from work most of the time and half of the time I will be driving a company car (already insuranced) instead of my own. So I'm looking for some kind of deal that suits people who only drive 1~2 hours a week.

Any suggestion?

Car model is Honda Insight 2010, mileage at around 50k.

Also I have home insurance with Farmers Insurance and I believe they offer some kind of deal for existing customers. But I haven't been too satisfied with their agent.

Hello Pac NW pal. I'm in Thurston, outside of Oly.

Any chance you can get USAA insurance? Any mom/dad/grandfather in the military?

I've heard good things about Pemco. A big part of having good insurance is having an agent who busts their ass for you though.

Nope, no military relation. Let me dig a little bit on Pemco.

mkenyon

Banned
spoils season 1

tells him to watch it

put it in spoiler tags at least.
Pfft, that's not even a spoiler.

It's not like the Wire hangs on shocking plot twists. It's all about the whole story and how everything is connected, as well as the cyclical nature of the environment. It's like watching a documentary, you don't spoiler tag Hitler losing WWII.

TylerD

oQaCWd2.jpg

Traded my '08 Audi A4 Allroad Quattro 2.0 TDi for a '13 BMW 330d. Has basically all the bells and whistles and the only thing it's lacking is xDrive. Picked it up a few weeks ago and so far I've been really happy with it.

Very nice!

I fell for the sports wagon a couple weeks back. The options are limited here in the US though. No manual, only 328 petrol, diesel and always xdrive. Would still own one though.

Alpine white + MSport + Coral Red and Black Interior

Bandit1

This has probably been discussed before, but why in the world did BMW decide to go M3/M4 instead of keeping the iconic M3 nameplate and having M3 coupe/sedan the way its always been?

Also smh at that fwd 2 series convertible.

ascii42

This has probably been discussed before, but why in the world did BMW decide to go M3/M4 instead of keeping the iconic M3 nameplate and having M3 coupe/sedan the way its always been?

Also smh at that fwd 2 series convertible.
Guess they thought it made sense since they had the 5-series sedan and 6-series coupe. That and separating the models makes it easier for them to charge more, of course.

Bandit1

Guess they thought it made sense since they had the 5-series sedan and 6-series coupe. That and separating the models makes it easier for them to charge more, of course.

I guess. Just seems like a no-brainer to keep the name recognition of what is arguably their most famous car. It's almost like Ford renaming the Mustang the Ford Stallion.

Smokey

So I've been in talks with my uncle to by my car. He came and did a little test drive today etc. Not getting to hyped or excited as it will probably amount to nothing but...

...If that happens lawd the door is open for my M4 or Stingray ;_;

Momentary

Banned
And when you real tly want to go fast, there's this:

2015-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-Pictures.jpg

I'm begging my wife for me to get this car next year. I can't stop imagining myself driving this in white. My wife has to get her X6 first :(

The bad thing is that I've already seen 5 C7s, but it's not as bad as the Mustang epidemic on this base. Being stationed here has really ruined the Mustang for me. I'm not excited about the 2015 version at all. To be unique here you have to drive around in something really nice. I've seen 2 new GT-Rs, a R33, a Tesla, a Maserati coupe, a CLEAN 955 Turbo, a M6 and a Lambo Aven. Those are the real head turners around here.

I'm from small town Georgia, so when go home my ride is the only one like it in town, but here, everyone's got it.

But the other day I stumbled upon the N-Largo Berlinetta and it has become one of my Goals in life to get a Novitec Ferrari GT. Some people thing the car is a little too much, Mainly the wheels. But after thinking of seeing this thing in white, and the concavity of those rear wheels, it just looks so damn sexy. I also love how there's a clear view of the calipers and rotor. Such a fantastic looking vehicle. the upgraded exhaust system sounds amazing too.

6.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVC0WV7PRs

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Personally, I would like that so much more if the wheels didn't have the painted lip.

Beautiful car though nonetheless, and that sound is wonderful.

Momentary

Banned
Personally, I would like that so much more if the wheels didn't have the painted lip.

Beautiful car though nonetheless, and that sound is wonderful.

I felt the same way too. If they were looking for contrast they could have gone with an anthracite color. But the more I looked at it the less it bothered me. I just feel like scuffs or marks would show up so badly on something like that. It also gives it a cheap look, but this car pulls it off for me. Nevertheless, Novitec custom builds these 3 piece rims so color is not an issue. They paint it or brush it the way you want.

Well I felt the Berlinetta did not look aggressive enough, but Novitec solved that problem with this body, interior, exhaust, and tuning kit.

Now all I have to do is become some money hungry business man or win the lottery and I'll get one the way I want it.

sarcastor

I saw this earlier today on the Golden Gate Bridge and didn't know what it was. But its a 1980s Lamborghini Jalpa. Looks pretty sweet

uBWqYhG.jpg

Just got back from NJ. (Driving from near Detroit and back). Some things I learnt.

1) Route 80 in PA (and parts of NJ) is damn beautiful.

2) The seats in the BRZ are very comfortable.

3) Driving in NJ on a Friday evening is very scary. (Not used to near bumper-to-bumper traffic going 60mph+)

4) Michigan is fucking skint.

Just got back from NJ. (Driving from near Detroit and back). Some things I learnt.

1) Route 80 in PA (and parts of NJ) is damn beautiful.

2) The seats in the BRZ are very comfortable.

3) Driving in NJ on a Friday evening is very scary. (Not used to near bumper-to-bumper traffic going 60mph+)

4) Michigan is fucking skint.

Yeah Michigan is horrible. It's one big marshy wasteland that used to have manufacturing until everyone came to the same conclusion that it's a shitty place to live.

Smokey

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=982538

The best turbo to date?

The M GmbH's direct-injected S55 engine is derived from BMW AG's N55 engine, and some parts are interchangeable, but its character and performance level put it in a class of its own. The powerhouse is force-fed by two Mitsubishi turbochargers and produces 406 lb-ft of torque from 1850 to 5390 rpm. At the very same 5390 rpm, the power rush reaches its peak of 425 horsepower, which remains available on a straight plateau up to 7300 rpm. The S55 redlines at a lofty 7600 rpm, affirming its status as an honest-to-god high-revving engine.

On the road, it simply works beautifully, ripping the F8x forward with far more authority than the outgoing E9x models with their 4.0-liter V-8. The new car takes off on a wave of torque and builds speed more quickly than ever. Driven hard in Sport and Sport Plus mode, there is essentially no turbo lag, as BMW keeps the turbos spinning by maintaining air flow as the driver gets off the throttle. Engine speed is reduced by cutting cylinders. The effect lasts for one or two seconds - enough to facilitate an immediate response when the car is driven hard. With this feature, the agility of the S55 is unprecedented for a turbo engine. Thanks to the broad usable torque and power band, it will be simply impossible for an E9x M3 to keep up with a well-driven F8x.

Top speed is governed at 155 mph; on some markets, BMW offers a limiter that relaxes the threshold to 174 mph. An ungoverned M3 could theoretically top 185 mph, says chief engineer Albert Biermann. His claim is entirely credible; our tester pulled relentlessly to 150 mph, at which point we found it advisable to approach legal limits again.

We'll take the manual

The F8x models come with a ZF-sourced six-speed manual, or a Getrag-supplied seven-speed "wet" dual-clutch automatic. The choice is tough. The dual-clutch tranny shifts quick enough to cut 0-60 mph acceleration by a whopping 0.2 seconds - from 4.1 to 3.9 seconds. And its gears are spaced so closely that the car will always remain in the peak power range when upshifting at the upper end of the scale. It executes instant shifts within the available rev range, and it remembers exactly how many times the paddles were pulled. In manual mode, there is no second guessing the driver by upshifting at the limit or offering a kickdown function.

Nevertheless, the six-speed manual still seems to be the truly appropriate choice for the F8x. Especially since this one is significantly lighter than the gearbox used in the predecessor, thus increasing the weight delta between a manual and an automatic M3 and M4 to almost 90 lbs. That is a truly remarkable figure; it helps to make the cars even more agile car - on top of the priceless feeling of being in total control.

One gimmick we could have done without is the rev-matching function of the manual. We don't need it, and it disappears in Sport Plus mode. We are also a bit underwhelmed by the sound. This straight-six is clearly audible and emits a throaty, aggressive note - but this modern soundtrack lacks the silky-smooth refinement of the E36 and E46's naturally aspirated six.

Massive chassis refinement

Thanks to an extensively redesigned chassis, handling is far superior to the regular 3-series and 4-series. The front suspension features aluminum control arms, wheel carriers and subframes, and there is a carbon-fiber strut brace in the front. The electric power steering is an entirely new unit with a significantly stronger motor than the steering of the regular models in order to boost without delay for ultra-quick corrections under heavy pressure. Not only does it succeed at that, it is nicely weighted and precise - and no, we don't miss the predecessor's hydraulic power steering at all. In the rear, BMW has assembled a five-link axle with forged aluminum control arms. The rear subframe is bolted directly onto the body. Forged 18-inch aluminum wheels are standard, fitted with 255/40 rubber in the front and 275/40 tires in the rear. 19-inch alloys are offered as an option.

This chassis enables the driver to flog the car on the track and position it for corners with absolute precision. Rated at 3530 lbs (M4) and 3540 lbs (M3) lbs, the new car is relatively light - and it feels even lighter from behind the wheel. Okay, the stability control system kills the fun early in its standard setting, but it allows for noticeable drift angles in a medium mode - before inevitably cutting torque and speed. Our advice: Learn how to deal with oversteering - and keep the DSC deactivated. "Off" really means off in this car, and it is a pure joy to drive it on the track and let the electronic rear differential work its magic. This is a forgiving, predictable car - with a clear tendency to oversteer when asked. It simply does everything you want, all the time - and it's got enough torque to put significant amounts of rubber onto the road.

Four-piston compound brakes up front and two-piston brakes in the rear are standard; carbon-ceramic brakes with six pistons in the front and four pistons in the rear come at a hefty $8,150 premium. The adjustable, adaptive suspension will set you back by a modest $1,000.

Both the M3 and the M4 will be impossible to miss on the road, thanks to an aggressive front fascia, the carbon-fiber roof (which can be substituted with a moonroof that incurs a steel roof), wider front and rear fenders, larger air outlets, a Gurney flap on the trunk lid, and four brazen exhaust pipes. Inside, there is a bit more room than before - and more style, too. BMW has learned to do beautiful interiors, and while the optional, snug leather seats are handsome, we felt perfectly at home with the standard fabric/leather combination.

The real future

After we have seen the funky, video-game-like "sports car of the future" two weeks ago, we are glad to report that old-fashioned sportiness is alive and well - and has, in fact, achieved a level of perfection that would have seemed unthinkable a few years ago. The new M3 and M4 prove that electronics have ceased to detract from the driving experience - and now serve to make these cars better and more enjoyable than ever. At $62,000 for the M3 and $64,200 for the M4 Coupe, BMW's F8x models might seem expensive. Considering their capabilities, they are actually a steal

Mmmmmm

In a world with the Jaguar F-Type the exhaust note of the M3 is pretty much unforgivable. I wonder if the aftermarket will find a way to correct it and make it tolerable.

I'd almost rather it be muted and mellow like the 911 Turbo instead of the harsh, raspy bee's nest it is now.

Smokey

In a world with the Jaguar F-Type the exhaust note of the M3 is pretty much unforgivable. I wonder if the aftermarket will find a way to correct it and make it tolerable.

I'd almost rather it be muted and mellow like the 911 Turbo instead of the harsh, raspy bee's nest it is now.

The only knock on the car for me. That exhaust is pretty terrible :(. Everything else I'm reading seems to be on point.

The only knock on the car for me. That exhaust is pretty terrible :(. Everything else I'm reading seems to be on point.

Well it's an M3, it's going to be a great car. It's just that this is going to be the first one with a massive, glaring fault right up front.

Sure they've gotten bigger over the years and people can gripe about that, but that's an unavoidable trend. Having a lousy exhaust note is simply inexcusable though.

Well it's an M3, it's going to be a great car. It's just that this is going to be the first one with a massive, glaring fault right up front.

Sure they've gotten bigger over the years and people can gripe about that, but that's an unavoidable trend. Having a lousy exhaust note is simply inexcusable though.

I think the exhaust note is fine for a turbo, the biggest problems imo is it doesn't get much better as you get to the redline according to what I've read and it sounds bad at cold startup (sounds diesel-ish in startup videos) until you get it warmed up. I definitely wouldn't call it a massive fault though. They should have just put the m performance exhaust as standard since it's the weakest part of the car.

Smokey

I think the exhaust note is fine for a turbo, the biggest problems imo is it doesn't get much better as you get to the redline according to what I've read and it sounds bad at cold startup (sounds diesel-ish in startup videos) until you get it warmed up. I definitely wouldn't call it a massive fault though. They should have just put the m performance exhaust as standard since it's the weakest part of the car.

Why do that when you can make a thousand or so offering it as a performance part

Ty4on

Why is it all exhaust sound nowadays?
NSX
M3 CSL
E39 M5

I especially adore how the NSX barks through the rev range. Copying words from Jonny Lieberman, but it's so mechanical. You can hear more of it in the shootout against the LFA they did, but I found the editing too quick to enjoy the engine sound :p

Top Bottom