• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ameratsu

So my journey to 90's Japanese car ownership is almost here. My S15 Silvia has landed (FINALLY), and it's currently at the importers shop. They have to do a few things to make it road legal, but from what I was told, it's mechanically sound.

I'm actually heading over tomorrow to take a look, and give my final payment. I should have it on the road in two weeks. Insurance was a treat, but it's sorted for the most part (just waiting for the total). Once I give the okay for the pricing, then it can be plated and she's coming home.

It's going to be hard trying to sleep tonight...

pics pics pics

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
gah - Love the look of the new Nismo, but I wish they'd put a little bit more punch in the engine.

There's really not much more than can be done to it apart from another revision and adding direct injection, some lighter internals, and perhaps some manifold work. Who knows, maybe 400HP is achievable out of a 3.7L - but it would probably be too expensive for Nissan to build to slap into such a low production car, but it sure would be fucking awesome. 350HP out of a 3.7L that revs to 7600RPM is about the max for a streetable car. You can do some additional ECU tuning to it as well, but I'd say the next step for the Z-car is forced induction.

I'd love to see a factory supercharged VQ37. But we all know displacement is going to go down on the next car and it may no longer have a numerical name either, just Nissan Z. The next motor is expected to be a Mercedes 3.0TT engine that can currently be found in the E-Class and C-Class making 330HP and 355TQ. Though I expect Nissan to put some of their own touches on it (An AMG Sport pack on the C-Class makes 372HP).

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Bought a used 2013 Audi Q5 hybrid a couple weeks back. Diggin it. Just thought I'd share :)

Great choice!

There's really not much more than can be done to it apart from another revision and adding direct injection, some lighter internals, and perhaps some manifold work. Who knows, maybe 400HP is achievable out of a 3.7L - but it would probably be too expensive for Nissan to build to slap into such a low production car, but it sure would be fucking awesome. 350HP out of a 3.7L that revs to 7600RPM is about the max for a streetable car. You can do some additional ECU tuning to it as well, but I'd say the next step for the Z-car is forced induction.

I'd love to see a factory supercharged VQ37. But we all know displacement is going to go down on the next car and it may no longer have a numerical name either, just Nissan Z. The next motor is expected to be a Mercedes 3.0TT engine that can currently be found in the E-Class and C-Class making 330HP and 355TQ. Though I expect Nissan to put some of their own touches on it (An AMG Sport pack on the C-Class makes 372HP).

I would love to see a return of an inline engine to the Z lineup. Hopefully a smaller displacement, direct injected six cylinder with a turbo added on.
But you are probably right in that it will remain a V with some sort of forced indusction and smaller displacement.

ruxtpin

Banned

Yeah. I kinda' see this as milking the cow. Probably didn't cost Nissan much to slap some new body work on there, considering the internals are pretty much the same as the current Nismo. Another attempt to snag a few buyers before the next revision/model comes along. I still really liked my Z (even though I did trade it in). I would have been more likely to keep my Z if I had bought a Nismo version.

Edit: Love the front of the new Nismo though. A lot. New seats can't hurt either.

So my journey to 90's Japanese car ownership is almost here. My S15 Silvia has landed (FINALLY), and it's currently at the importers shop. They have to do a few things to make it road legal, but from what I was told, it's mechanically sound.

I'm actually heading over tomorrow to take a look, and give my final payment. I should have it on the road in two weeks. Insurance was a treat, but it's sorted for the most part (just waiting for the total). Once I give the okay for the pricing, then it can be plated and she's coming home.

It's going to be hard trying to sleep tonight...

lucky…specs of your S15 Silvia please.

AlphaSnake

Yeah. I kinda' see this as milking the cow. Probably didn't cost Nissan much to slap some new body work on there, considering the internals are pretty much the same as the current Nismo. Another attempt to snag a few buyers before the next revision/model comes along. I still really liked my Z (even though I did trade it in). I would have been more likely to keep my Z if I had bought a Nismo version.

Edit: Love the front of the new Nismo though. A lot. New seats can't hurt either.

Yeah, that interior is hot with the seats. I miss mine. :(

Laekon

Along with what Alpha said already, if you experienced that brake issue you should bring your car into a VW dealer for a brake flush when you can. They have pressure bleeders that can flush the entire system of old brake fluid and replace it with the new, olive oil fresh fluid. It's relatively cheap to take care of as well. You can obviously do this yourself if you have the pressure bleeder or bring it to a different shop, but I've always had good luck with brakes at VW dealers.

Also FYI, if your ever in the mountain situation again with a slow car, just manual shift into a low gear like 2 or 1, or put your PRNDL into 2 or L. Then you can let the engine keep your car going slow instead of riding the brakes the whole way down.

I do engine break most of the time. I feel pretty good with the paddle shifters for someone that never owned a manual. In this case the person was going pretty good on the straights then crawling through corners on the Angeles Crest Highway.

I need an oil change soon so I'll get the brake fluid flushed then even though the pads are good.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I do engine break most of the time. I feel pretty good with the paddle shifters for someone that never owned a manual. In this case the person was going pretty good on the straights then crawling through corners on the Angeles Crest Highway.

I need an oil change soon so I'll get the brake fluid flushed then even though the pads are good.

Flushing is just another maintenance item. It doesn't require the pads or calipers to be removed, and isn't something that needs to wait for a brake pad/rotor replacement. Just FYI.

pics pics pics

I took a few while I was there earlier. I'll be sure to post some up in a bit!

lucky…specs of your S15 Silvia please.

Um... It's a rather stock (engine wise) Spec R. It has full service records that came with it, and it was well taken care of. It looks like it was tracked in Japan, and then put back to stock before being placed for sale. It has Tein Coilovers, and from what I was told... a OS Giken clutch.

Other then then, I have to really give it a once over after it gets out of the shop (engine refresh, some warn bushings, and the hood needs to be painted).

AlphaSnake

Anyone here owned an E46 M3? If so, care to share your thoughts on the car?

I would avoid any old BMW. Older E46 M3s had a shit ton of problems. Subframe rust ($10K job), spun engine bearing (this will destroy the engine), timing issues, all sorts of ECU errors and various sensors that fail. Just stay the fuck away from this car unless you have deep pockets. It was a great car, but it's not worth it. Go back to a 370Z if you want a reliable sports car with 333HP. Some of these issues are lessened with models that are 2002+, but the cars are more expensive as a result.

Plus the E46 M sounds terrible.

No Love

Banned
I would avoid any old BMW. Older E46 M3s had a shit ton of problems. Subframe rust ($10K job), spun engine bearing (this will destroy the engine), timing issues, all sorts of ECU errors and various sensors that fail. Just stay the fuck away from this car unless you have deep pockets. It was a great car, but it's not worth it. Go back to a 370Z if you want a reliable sports car with 333HP. Some of these issues are lessened with models that are 2002+, but the cars are more expensive as a result.

Plus the E46 M sounds terrible.
God damn. Took all the words right out of my mouth. E46 M3 LOOKS glorious and sounds great on paper but is plagued by so many patheitc issues.

And yes it sounds like complete asshole!! That whole exhaust system needs serious work to sound good. The 370z is basically the same thing with far better reliability and 2 less seats.

Looking at 7 seaters for my wife with a decent towing capacity so I can finally switch to full slicks vs street tires on my C6Z :)

Test from the Q7 S Line and Acura MDX (top of line):

I was really surprised how good the new MDX is. It is and feel MUCH lighter than the Q7. The Audi has more bells and whistles and looks sharper, no doubt from a driving perspective, the MDX was much better.

I was also surpised how much more quiet the MDX cabin is at highway speeds than the Q7.

We plan to test drive the Mercedes next but for those in a similar position, go test drive the new MDX. It's pretty awesome.

No Love

Banned
Looking at 7 seaters for my wife with a decent towing capacity so I can finally switch to full slicks vs street tires on my C6Z :)

I was really surprised how good the new MDX is. It is and feel MUCH lighter than the Q7. The Audi has more bells and whistles and looks sharper, no doubt from a driving perspective, the MDX was much better.

I was also surpised how much more quiet the MDX cabin is at highway speeds than the Q7.

We plan to test drive the Mercedes next but for those in a similar position, go test drive the new MDX. It's pretty awesome.

Acura has always made fantastic cars. Audi's are super overrated. That's high praise for the MDX if you think it was a much better car than the Audi, most people are blinded by Audi's good looks and ridiculously nice interiors. The MDX does look pretty good though.

MisterNoisy

Facelifted 2015 370Z Nismo revealed today:

(Images snipped)

Specs:
Can be had with 7-speed auto optional + magnesium paddles.
Can be had with tech package (finally!).
Now includes blacked out headlights (I had this done to my car, but now it's a factory option).
350HP
Nismo Exhaust
Nismo Tune
New Front, Rear, and Skirts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/16/2015-nissan-370-z-nismo-revealed-pics/

It looks beautiful, imo. Absolutely gorgeous. If I still had my 370Z, I'd have traded it in for this immediately.

Love it, but the purist in me thinks offering it with an automatic dilutes the model somewhat, sorta like the new Z06.

coldfoot

Banned

Well the MDX is new and the Q7 is like 10 years old I believe, so that might be a big reason why :)
Also don't buy Audi's only lease them.

The Audi tows 5500lbs and the Acura 5000. You'll certainly need a lightweight aluminum trailer to stay under that with the Z06.

Will both cars be able to tow that no problem anyway? Sure, of course, but if you get into an accident towing over capacity you'll be in big trouble with your insurance (and probably be ticketed as well).

rokkerkory

Nismo version needs something more in the engine department as well, but I guess this is best you can do with the current 3.7. Was hoping for some ECU tweaks to make it 370hp, 100hp per liter would have been nice.

Next engine downsized and SC'd or TT would be nice however.

The Audi tows 5500lbs and the Acura 5000. You'll certainly need a lightweight aluminum trailer to stay under that with the Z06.

Will both cars be able to tow that no problem anyway? Sure, of course, but if you get into an accident towing over capacity you'll be in big trouble with your insurance (and probably be ticketed as well).

Yeah I read up the big warnings about exceeding posed tow capacity.

The Mercdes can tow more but it's only a 5 seater unless I look at the GL series which is like a baby tank.

mkenyon

Banned
Fun local story:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...ce-triggers-protest-in-Olympia-259543311.html

OLYMPIA, Wash. - Angry protesters are promising to march on the Thurston County courthouse on Friday to voice their outrage that a drunk driver who led police on a dangerous high speed chase got off with no jail time.

The protesters say the rules are different for rich people when it comes to jail time for DUI offenders.

A Thurston County judge sentenced Shaun Goodman to just a year of work release for the Dec. 29 drunk driving episode.

In that incident, Goodman led police on a chase through downtown Olympia at top speeds of 100 mph. The chase ended when he crashed his 2000 Ferrari F360 into a parked car and a home. His blood alcohol measured 0.16, twice the Washington state threshold for drunken driving.

During the chase, a passenger in Goodman's vehicle begged him to stop. The passenger later jumped out when the Ferrari slowed down at an intersection.

Goodman eventually pleaded guilty to felony eluding a police officer and DUI, and the judge sentenced him this week to a year of work release, with no jail time.

That has people like Sam Miller ticked off.

"And the judge has said at some point that he's an important businessman in the community, and it wouldn't be fair for him (and) his employees would suffer if he went to real jail. And my question is - what about the people that might suffer if he kills somebody?"

In February, a judge also gave Goodman permission to travel to New York City and attend the Super Bowl while his case was going through the court system.

Even before the high-speed chase, Goodman had six DUI arrests on his record.

The protest is planned for today 3 p.m. Friday at the Thurston County courthouse.

Protest part is no big deal. Oly protests at the drop of a hat. Our sister city is Rafah, to give you an idea. But holy shit at that speed. For reference, downtown Olympia:

4551849370_3af1f5ece3.jpg

Delicious. Can't wait to see pics in IronGAF.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Looks so mean. USA! USA! USA!

001-2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat_628opt.png

The Challenger is made in Canada, but we can ignore that.

Chrysler just gave the environmentalists and the 2025 CAFE standards a giant middle finger, and I'm loving every moment of it.

I'd still get the R/T Classic, though, 375 horsepower is enough for me.

mkenyon

Banned
New automotiveish purchase:

2014-Featherlite-Model-8533-6-7-Wide-7-6-Tall-2-Horse-GN-Trailer.jpg

Featherlite 2 horse gooseneck trailer. Only weighs 3800 lbs as it's all aluminum. Build quality is beyond fantastic.

If you combined this with my EX35, I would have been able to buy something like a M56. Alas.
The Challenger is made in Canada, but we can ignore that.

Chrysler just gave the environmentalists and the 2025 CAFE standards a giant middle finger, and I'm loving every moment of it.

I'd still get the R/T Classic, though, 375 horsepower is enough for me.
That's a bannable phrase in this community.

I have been on a hardcore "car build" kick on YouTube lately and I seem to be running out of things to watch. So I need AutoGAFs help in finding more videos. I want to watch people who know what they are doing build a car. It can be an import, muscle, rat rod, etc. It really doesn't matter but I want to actually see them doing the steps, not just showing what it looks like after. I have already watched all of the ones on Mighty Car Mods, Roadkill and Toms Turbo Garage.

Any suggestions?

6 DUI's? How did he even have a fucking license at that point. Also, people get jail time for second DUIs, let alone a 7th.

And yet I have unpaid tickets that lead to them taking my license away (one speeding and 2 registration)

it goes to show it doesnt matter if you endanger peoples lives or don't keep your tags up to date, they only care if they arent getting money.

Aaaargh stupid phone. I just saw the ghost of Paul Walker driving down the Ventura Freeway towards downtown LA in a silver R-34 Skyline GT-R but I couldn't take a picture because apparently this phone can't play a podcast over Bluetooth, give turn by turn GPS navigation and directions over Bluetooth, and shoot video all at the same time. So the camera app would load but every time I tried to actually take a picture or start video rolling the app crashed. Then I almost crashed. Dammit.

Top Bottom