• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Notice how everyone literally stopped what they're doing when this 4-rotor FD RX-7 drove in?

Let's ignore the fact that Mazda is the only Japanese company to ever win a Le Mans race in '91, consequently getting rotary engines banned by the FIA in '92. Let's ignore the fact that the FD RX-7 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. And lastly, let's ignore the fact that Mazda is the only car company in the entire planet still interested in rotaries.

That's why the Mazda rotaries are a big deal.

I know I'm waxing poetic, especially since I'm kind of a rotary fanboy, but basically, the rotary is one of those things that you either get it or you don't.

The reputation it gets for being unreliable stems from the fact that most owners don't know how to properly maintain their rotaries. It's a car that you have to really adore and treat right. In return, you get the loud high-revving, dorito-looking goodness.

And conveniently, Jalopnik just posted an article appreciating the 1st generation FB RX-7 and it talks about why it's great... you should read it as well.

I got to see the 787B including a startup (I forget if it was at Eilkart or Sonoma or Laguna Seca). That car is loud but I prefer old CanAm or 90s F1 sounds better. I am more talking about an engineering point of view. You have a rotating cylinder where there is always igniting, never letting the head cool (or rotor) for that fact. My issue is cooling and efficiency. The reason why the engine was banned was the contention about displacement as well as several new FIA rules about homogenization of engines in that class.

The rotary engine is known by almost everyone that owns one is that fact that its oil thirsty and has cooling issues. My dad-in-law maintained his RX-7 for almost 6 years before having to get something bigger. My friend just wanted a more torquey car but didn't want to do anything out of factory (try finding an unmolested Rotary car).

They are reliable if you know how to take car of them. There is still an RX-3 driving around the Bay Area from time to time(pretty sure its not the original engine).

The last RX-7 is a beautiful car but not without its issue. I am not ignoring any of what you are saying.

Unless of course you're on a modern Dodge/Chrysler forum and they're bitching about fixing their 2012 Avengers

Oh god that must be the most self loathing forum on the internet.

So I replaced the water pump last week on the E92 M3 thinking that was my whine, but low and behold it's a damn idle pulley tensioner.

Picture for attention
BXqXm09.jpg

psylah

Notice how everyone literally stopped what they're doing when this 4-rotor FD RX-7 drove in?

Let's ignore the fact that Mazda is the only Japanese company to ever win a Le Mans race in '91, consequently getting rotary engines banned by the FIA in '92. Let's ignore the fact that the FD RX-7 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. And lastly, let's ignore the fact that Mazda is the only car company in the entire planet still interested in rotaries.

That's why the Mazda rotaries are a big deal.

I know I'm waxing poetic, especially since I'm kind of a rotary fanboy, but basically, the rotary is one of those things that you either get it or you don't.

The reputation it gets for being unreliable stems from the fact that most owners don't know how to properly maintain their rotaries. It's a car that you have to really adore and treat right. In return, you get the loud high-revving, dorito-looking goodness.

And conveniently, Jalopnik just posted an article appreciating the 1st generation FB RX-7 and it talks about why it's great... you should read it as well.

I still consider SCOOT's garage-owned FD3S 4-rotor to be the best sounding car I have ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKmR0EVYoSo

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just drove a 2016 Jaguar XF 3.0S (380HP).

Screenshot from a video walkaround:
dW574wo.jpg

It's a class leading car, basically. Better interior and powertrain than an E-Class, A6, or 5-series. Also, the new infotainment system is fantastic. Very responsive and prompt. A lot of users hated the old one (although 99% of them didn't know you could speed it waaaay up by disabling the silly transition graphics and such).

Still, its a marked improvement. And the car I drove only had the standard sized screen, with the standard center gauges (a fully LCD gauge display is optional) - and yet I quite liked the standard screen and gauges a lot. In fact, I prefer analog dials over the glorified digital ones by a huge margin. I look at it like the difference between a digital watch or an actual analog piece with craftsmanship behind it.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Evo X

So I finally got GT4 allocation for May 2016 build.

Do I take it or tell em to pound sand?

Really happy with my GTS and prefer the aesthetics with all the dark contrasts along with the nicer infotainment and PDK. Still, it doesn't have the GT steering rack, suspension, or power. Also probably one of the last 6spd manual cars in the world. Hmmm...

Really happy with my GTS and prefer the aesthetics with all the dark contrasts along with the nicer infotainment and PDK. Still, it doesn't have the GT steering rack, suspension, or power. Also probably one of the last 6spd manual cars in the world. Hmmm...

Take it.

FStop7

Banned
This Saturday my local Porsche dealer (Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills, CA) is having some sort of mini show. They said they'll have 5 GT3RSs and 2 GT4s on display, among other things.

I jogged past there yesterday and saw two orange RS. That was impressive enough as it is.

The Maserati is an ancient car stuck with 15 year old technology with nothing more than a badge.

Jalopnik actually did a hilariously accurate article on how shitty the Ghibli is:

http://jalopnik.com/the-maserati-ghibli-is-a-luxury-sedan-that-sucks-at-lux-1714664806

That's pretty much what I figured. I'm not lying when I say I see at least 10 to 15 of them a day. I figured it was because they were mediocre sellers and Maserati was offering a ton of discounts, incentives, and aggressive leases. Sounds like I was right.

No Love

Banned

Do it. I'm sure the GTS won't lose much value on trade-in.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This Saturday my local Porsche dealer (Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills, CA) is having some sort of mini show. They said they'll have 5 GT3RSs and 2 GT4s on display, among other things.

I jogged past there yesterday and saw two orange RS. That was impressive enough as it is.

That's pretty much what I figured. I'm not lying when I say I see at least 10 to 15 of them a day. I figured it was because they were mediocre sellers and Maserati was offering a ton of discounts, incentives, and aggressive leases. Sounds like I was right.

Yeah, I see them here around the West Orlando area EVERYWHERE. They lease these things for like $599 if you get a 7500 mile/year lease. LOL

Every time I go visit family in NYC you see them even more.

Jackson

I was in your position last year. I came to the conclusion it was simply wasting money. You'll be losing a very nice chunk of change (and the GT4 is minimum $10k more on top of what you just lost) in exchange for getting a notch or two of a better car with a worse daily driving ride. IMO better to save up for the next step than eat low 5 figures for just a notch or two. :)

And if you want power, buy a turbo kit for far less.

I was in your position last year. I came to the conclusion it was simply wasting money. You'll be losing a very nice chunk of change (and the GT4 is minimum $10k more on top of what you just lost) in exchange for getting a notch or two of a better car with a worse daily driving ride. IMO better to save up for the next step than eat low 5 figures for just a notch or two. :)

And if you want power, buy a turbo kit for far less.

I think I'll echo this statement, unless you're planning on holding on to the GT4 for 30 or 40 years, because I bet it'll be quite a pricey little thing in the future.

TCRS

Banned
all these hot cars man

the bond aston

the bond villain jaguar

the RX-concept

phew

It's a class leading car, basically. Better interior and powertrain than an E-Class, A6, or 5-series. Also, the new infotainment system is fantastic. Very responsive and prompt. A lot of users hated the old one (although 99% of them didn't know you could speed it waaaay up by disabling the silly transition graphics and such).

yeah great car. saw one in british racing green with a white interior and grey dash, so elegant. it's clearly the best luxury sedan out there but then the new E Class is coming soon.

mkenyon

Banned
What does Auto-GAF think of these

If you don't, you will forever regret it.

mkenyon

Banned
The M Coupe 2.0, aka the Z4 M Coupe. A beautiful, rare, amazingly fun to drive car. I highly recommend them, I will have one in my garage in the next couple years.
How 'bout the 3.0 CSI?

Prices on those are ridiculously good, especially on low mileage (25-35k) ones.

Zapages

my local dealership has a Honda Accord 2013 EX-L with about 39K miles on it for 18K.

I was thinking of offering 15K cash for the car. Is that a good idea?

Zapages

So what do you guys think of an 2008 BMW 7 series with some 90k miles. Maintenance hell?

I've been told by a mechanic who works at BMW to avoid all BMWs that are out of warranty and have over 60 to 70K miles on them due to maintenance will be more than the car.

No Love

Banned
I've been told by a mechanic who works at BMW to avoid all BMWs that are out of warranty and have over 60 to 70K miles on them due to maintenance will be more than the car.

Not entirely true, depends on the age and model.

So what do you guys think of an 2008 BMW 7 series with some 90k miles. Maintenance hell?

Do not touch those 7 series, they are complete garbage.

Falch

It's OK. I wouldn't get one personally. What's your car budget and maintenance budget?

V60 r design looks nice I think but the interior looks a bit plain.

I'm not actively looking for my next car (yet), just browsing some car sites. Budget will be around 20-30k euro, but our car market/ prices are completely different from the US market. Thing is we already have a family car so I can buy pretty much any sort of car no matter how impractical it would be. Would still need to be useful as a daily driver though so no Lotus please. ;)

Seriously though I did drive a GT86 the other day and I really liked it. Also drove a BMW 1 series, looked a bit cheap compared to the Audi A3. I should check the new mx-5 probably though I'm not sure I'd want a cabrio where I live.

Well those are some clear answers lol.

How's Volvo reliability btw?

I had an '06 S40 T5 that I really loved. The interior was plain, but everything was solid, well laid out and very comfortable. I'd compare even that '06 favorably to a new Cadillac in terms of NVH and ride comfort, though it's far behind the standard set by Mercedes.

They still have a very similar design philosophy for their interiors now, and if that simple, robust layout clicks with you you'll be very satisfied.

Also, that little turbo five cylinder with a 6-spd could be fun sometimes. Yes, I actually had a turbo with a 6-spd, hard as hell to find.

Edit: Oh, you asked about reliability--I'm a little tired. That S40 had a worn transmission bearing around 60k miles which howled when the trans oil was below freezing, the boost controller went out around 70k miles, and the control arm bushings wore out about 80k or 90k. Parts weren't bad but I've gotten used to Porsche rates over the years so I'm a terrible judge on that.

Evo X

Looks like opinions are split on the GT4. It's definitely a special car, but the concerns that it is not different enough from my GTS to warrant the expected $30K difference are definitely valid. I have until tomorrow to let them know if I want it before it goes to the next guy down the
extremely long
line.

Was super exhausted today, but got invited to drive the new GT3, so I couldn't say no!

Coming from my GTS, It's in a completely different league performance wise. Pretty much a race car with turn signals. 3.8L dry sump flat 6 which makes nearly 500HP and revs to 9 thousand RPMs. There wasn't enough road for me to hit that throughout the whole drive. Everything from steering to brakes and throttle are extremely sensitive. It was just eager to be let off it's leash. There is no "comfort" mode in this car. It is just aggressive race mode 24/7. This one also had the optional fixed back carbon fiber bucket seats from the 918 Spyder, which look cool, but aren't exactly designed with comfort in mind. I fit in them nicely, but the lack of much lumbar support and back adjustment would definitely get tiresome on longer drives. You have to decide if the aesthetics, feel, and weight savings are worth it over the stellar standard sport seats. Much louder and rougher than my car with tons of drivetrain and road noise due to lack of sound damping materials. Fantastic to drive, but definitely a track weapon, whereas my car is a better blend of street/track performance. I don't think I could live with one of these daily. 458 Italia felt downright benign compared to this.

0U6vYC7.jpg

09TO3FP.jpg

40ZkZmM.jpg

jufQcj2.jpg

pifY9Ys.jpg

p5llMsK.jpg

Bonus 981 Spyder shots. Customer ordered this in the exact same color scheme as his 918. Guards Red on Black. Looks great in person. Love the ducktail.

tqLSstw.jpg

9erzGpI.jpg

lem0n

Looks like opinions are split on the GT4. It's definitely a special car, but the concerns that it is not different enough from my GTS to warrant the expected $30K difference are definitely valid. I have until tomorrow to let them know if I want it before it goes to the next guy down the
extremely long
line.

Was super exhausted today, but got invited to drive the new GT3, so I couldn't say no!

Coming from my GTS, It's in a completely different league performance wise. Pretty much a race car with turn signals. 3.8L dry sump flat 6 which makes nearly 500HP and revs to 9 thousand RPMs. There wasn't enough road for me to hit that throughout the whole drive. Everything from steering to brakes and throttle are extremely sensitive. It was just eager to be let off it's leash. There is no "comfort" mode in this car. It is just aggressive race mode 24/7. This one also had the optional fixed back carbon fiber bucket seats from the 918 Spyder, which look cool, but aren't exactly designed with comfort in mind. I fit in them nicely, but the lack of much lumbar support and back adjustment would definitely get tiresome on longer drives. You have to decide if the aesthetics, feel, and weight savings are worth it over the stellar standard sport seats. Much louder and rougher than my car with tons of drivetrain and road noise due to lack of sound damping materials. Fantastic to drive, but definitely a track weapon, whereas my car is a better blend of street/track performance. I don't think I could live with one of these daily. 458 Italia felt downright benign compared to this.

0U6vYC7.jpg

09TO3FP.jpg

40ZkZmM.jpg

jufQcj2.jpg

pifY9Ys.jpg

p5llMsK.jpg

Bonus 981 Spyder shots. Customer ordered this in the exact same color scheme as his 918. Guards Red on Black. Looks great in person. Love the ducktail.

tqLSstw.jpg

9erzGpI.jpg

People bitch about lack of manual in that car, but as a track weapon, you would want nothing else. You would be so busy with a manual given how manic that engine is. Glad they're bringing the option back though, just so people will STFU haha. Plus, every Porsche, even with superior PDK available, deserves the option to be driven with 3 pedals. The overwhelmingly positive response to the GT4's manual-only option is telling.

Also, DAT Guards Red Spyder. My dream car is a Guards Red Carrera GT, and this is close in spirit.

Jackson

What does Auto-GAF think of these
DSC00285ar.jpg

My boy who has the Vantage GT had a Z4M before. It's a maniac of a car. It absolutely wants to murder you at every turn. It's a pure German muscle car and nothing more. He tried to autocross it stock, huge mistake lol. You either have terrible times or you're spinning it. The knife's edge of handling is so thin it's not

Whenever I took it for a spin, I didn't enjoy wrestling it around even an on-ramp to be honest. Just not my thing.

Also, DAT Guards Red Spyder. My dream car is a Guards Red Carrera GT, and this is close in spirit.

For real? I don't think the Carrera GT has aged well at all. Guards Red is the best tho!

This is why I don't want to do my own maintenance:

UBzzIntl.jpg

Yep, I have no clue where that missing piece of ceramic is. Could be inside the engine, could have fallen out in my garage and I'm just scared shitless to put a new one in.

Idk, either way... yay more money to lose.

I'll just stick to doing what I do best I guess.

UBzzIntl.jpg

Yep, I have no clue where that missing piece of ceramic is. Could be inside the engine, could have fallen out in my garage and I'm just scared shitless to put a new one in.

yeah but shit like that happens when you take it in for maintenance too. they just don't tell you about it.

yeah but shit like that happens when you take it in for maintenance too. they just don't tell you about it.

That's true.

The difference is that it counts as their mistake, not mine. So I wouldn't have to worry about paying out of my ass to get it fixed.

I should've took this to my dealer. They were charging $150 to change the fncking plugs and it's "easy" enough that anybody can do it... well, that's obviously not gonna be the case this time.

I'm looking at $100 just to get this shit towed out of my house to their shop and I don't even know how much it's gonna cost to check if there's something in there.

I'm looking at getting a borescope camera right now, but they're the same cost as the towing so I'm not really sure where to go right now tbh.

Get the scope, because then you'll have it if you need it again. I very much doubt a big old thing like that fell in the cylinder though.

Yeah, found a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight. I'll just use that.

I checked my sockets and there's nothing in there. I looked at the ground and I don't see anything either. So I'm assuming it might've fell in but could the piece splintered off by itself and fell in?

endre

That's true.

The difference is that it counts as their mistake, not mine. So I wouldn't have to worry about paying out of my ass to get it fixed.

I should've took this to my dealer. They were charging $150 to change the fncking plugs and it's "easy" enough that anybody can do it... well, that's obviously not gonna be the case this time.

I'm looking at $100 just to get this shit towed out of my house to their shop and I don't even know how much it's gonna cost to check if there's something in there.

I'm looking at getting a borescope camera right now, but they're the same cost as the towing so I'm not really sure where to go right now tbh.

I don't think the parts fell into the combustion area. That's not so easy to pull of, especially without noticing. How come the endoscope costs so much? Can't you get a cheap one from Amazon?

Loki

Count of Concision
Didn't know where else to throw this comment, but I find it hysterical that there isn't more outcry over the number of $45-55K cars out there which have 4-cylinder sub-250 HP engines. Audi A4/6, BMW 5, and the Mercedes C/E-class all charge an arm and a leg for a substandard engine. Then if you want the 6-cyl with more HP they jack up the price another $5-10K. LOL @ this bullshit. I think the Lexus GS and Infiniti Q are the only ones in that mid-segment with standard V6.

If you're paying $50K for a car, it's ridiculous that V6 isn't standard.

lem0n

UBzzIntl.jpg

Is this on your NC? Funny question, but how big are the cylinders that the spark plug sits in, you know, where the ignition coil sits. If it's big enough for that splintered ceramic to fall off the plug and sit near the bottom where you put the socket on, it could have fallen into the combustion chamber. If it's real slim in there, it probably came out with the plug and dropped onto the valve cover as you pulled the plug out.

I don't think the parts fell into the combustion area. That's not so easy to pull of, especially without noticing. How come the endoscope costs so much? Can't you get a cheap one from Amazon?

I could, but this is my daily driver so I need it immediately.

Amazon Prime Now doesn't have endoscopes and even with regular Prime, it'll get here on Tuesday.

So yeah, I'm basically SOL.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Damn it, I'm supposed to change my plugs for the first time this weekend and you are making me all kinds of nervous for what should be an easy task.

Damn it, I'm supposed to change my plugs for the first time this weekend and you are making me all kinds of nervous for what should be an easy task.

Lol I woke up this morning pumped as hell to do this. The plan was to swap the plugs and go out for a cruise after.

Instead, I spent hours figuring out what the hell I'm gonna do to fix this. -_____-

What I'm planning to do now is buy a tiny piece of hose and somehow stick that securely to my vacuum and hopefully that'll suck out that mess in there. But it's time for some candy so I'll get on it tomorrow.

Top Bottom