• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

TCRS

Banned
Audi has facelifted the A7:

2015-euro-audi-a7-01-1.jpg

2015-euro-audi-a7-03-1.jpg

2015-euro-audi-a7-13-1.jpg

hi-res pics: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/audi-a7-sportback-facelift/full/#photo-2630904/
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/22/audi-a7-s7-facelift-official-videos/

dat Audi interior. BMW interiors feel so cheap compared to them.

No Love

Banned
can you elaborate? the 5-speed gear box?

Yes, and it's a bit lighter. The DCT in the MR is nice but it's heavier and doesn't bring the enjoyment that the 5 speed in the GSR does.

I also highly recommend at least doing a tune and exhaust on it... stock exhaust sounds like a Camry, lol, and you can get much better MPG and power out of a simple tune.

No Love

Banned
apologies for my ignorance, new to automotive gaf and all, but would you mind going into more detail yet again (re' tune and exhaust)? reply or pm.

Sure... you can just get a nice bolt-on exhaust for $500, then get your ECU tuned by a local tuner on a dyno for $300-400. So for less than $1k you can add about 40-50 wheel horsepower + torque AND gain 3-5 MPG.

Does that make sense?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sure... you can just get a nice bolt-on exhaust for $500, then get your ECU tuned by a local tuner on a dyno for $300-400. So for less than $1k you can add about 40-50 wheel horsepower + torque AND gain 3-5 MPG.

Does that make sense?

what your saying does, but it seems odd a ecu tune would get better performance AND gas mileage.

No Love

Banned
what your saying does, but it seems odd a ecu tune would get better performance AND gas mileage.

That's often the case.

Well, yeah... car makers often run the tunes rich as hell and leave a lot of power/fuel economy on the table in order to meet emissions.

A good tuner can lean out the air fuel ratio AND increase power easily, especially on a turbo car. The Evo X actually goes from getting shitty MPG to good MPG with a good tune. It's a world of difference.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
thanks.

hopefully in the coming months i'll post some picks of my car and more stupid questions ;)

TCRS

Banned
A7 and RS7 are the best looking cars Audi makes by a long shot. Everything else except the R8 looks a bit too boring.

the A6 is a bit weird. it looks dull during the day but at night it looks total boss with those horn like tail lights, especially on the autobahn.

oh well, now that we have the A7 facelift I guess we'll be seeing the A6 facelift pretty soon.

coldfoot

Banned
How much more is that FRS 1.0 compared to stock? It has the bodykit + HID's (unavailable in Scion), dual zone Climate control. I'd say $2500-$3k would be a fair price over a standard model. Anything more though and I'd just go pick the Subaru.

Ty4on

Well, yeah... car makers often run the tunes rich as hell and leave a lot of power/fuel economy on the table in order to meet emissions.

A good tuner can lean out the air fuel ratio AND increase power easily, especially on a turbo car. The Evo X actually goes from getting shitty MPG to good MPG with a good tune. It's a world of difference.

I'm not very good on engine tuning, but I know from planes that lean mixtures increase the temperature so couldn't that cause issues over time?

No Love

Banned
I'm not very good on engine tuning, but I know from planes that lean mixtures increase the temperature so couldn't that cause issues over time?

No, that's not a concern. There are acceptable values/ranges for air fuel ratios depending on the type of motor, i.e. on an Evo motor (turbo), you ideally want an AFR of 11.5:1-12:1. The BIG things you want to worry about are detonation and knock. Those are what will blow your motor.

In fact, a good custom tune can be SAFER than a stock tune. The Evo 9, for example, has TONS of knock and has to pull timing on 91 octane fuel (which is all we have here in SoCal.) A custom tune can completely eliminate knock/detonation that may occur on stock tunes.

Ty4on

No, that's not a concern. There are acceptable values/ranges for air fuel ratios depending on the type of motor, i.e. on an Evo motor (turbo), you ideally want an AFR of 11.5:1-12:1. The BIG things you want to worry about are detonation and knock. Those are what will blow your motor.

In fact, a good custom tune can be SAFER than a stock tune. The Evo 9, for example, has TONS of knock and has to pull timing on 91 octane fuel (which is all we have here in SoCal.) A custom tune can completely eliminate knock/detonation that may occur on stock tunes.

I see. 12:1 is far from lean :p
Sucks to only have 91 with high compression engines. According to a quick google our 95 and 98 (both common, but usually only diesel and 95 prices are advertised) equal US 91 and 93. I think they have stopped with 100 octane fuel behind a silly name and now just sell regular fuel claiming it cleans the engine.

No Love

Banned
I see. 12:1 is far from lean :p
Sucks to only have 91 with high compression engines. According to a quick google our 95 and 98 (both common, but usually only diesel and 95 prices are advertised) equal US 91 and 93. I think they have stopped with 100 octane fuel behind a silly name and now just sell regular fuel claiming it cleans the engine.

This is why Texas is the best state to own a car in. Practically rust-free environment and 93 octane is widely available all over the state. :p

I don't use 91... I use E85. On a turbo engine it's equivalent to running 116 octane due to ethanol's cooling properties. :) Depending on your motor type (4 cyl, 6 cyl, V8) you will pick up on average anywhere from 100-200 wheel horsepower (and similar, if not more wheel torque) with E85 over 91/93 octane.

Nobody that's serious about making safe, big power uses 91/93. They all use E85 now.

On stock turbos on a 996 or 997 911 Turbo with minimal mods, for example, you can expect to make around 600 whp/670+ wtq....

I drove both GT86 variants when they came out...there was nothing fun about them. It was about the most boring sports car experience I've had in a very long time.

I felt the exact opposite. I will trust my racing friends and family similar opinion. Maybe it's a difference in philosophy/preference of a fun ride.

I don't use 91... I use E85. On a turbo engine it's equivalent to running 116 octane due to ethanol's cooling properties. :)

E85 has been slowly popping up over here in DFW but unfortunately an E85 NC Miata conversion is a looooong ways away. Last I checked it's pointless to do an E85 conversion since the 2.0L MZR engines run at low compression or something like that.

Besides, nobody in this state knows what the hell E85 is. I've seen a ton of flex fuel cars getting regular gas instead. -___-

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Maybe it's the shitty audio, but that seriously sounds like a muffler with broken baffles that are rattling around inside it.

Do not want.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Aesthetically, so far ahead of the competition.

I knew that when I first bought my 2012 A6 3.0T that Audi would refresh these cars with the full 333HP that the S4 comes with. It was inevitable.

Assholes. I don't own the car anymore, but my dad does...so I still feel partially jipped.

This is why Texas is the best state to own a car in. Practically rust-free environment and 93 octane is widely available all over the state. :p

Oh my god yes. I bought one used car in Ohio for a track rat and all the old parts have to come apart with liquid wrench, breaker bars and, often enough, a sawzall. My texas car that's 32 years old? No rust anywhere. Anywhere. It's like it was in some sort of time capsule.

Hell, I was able to take the original exhaust apart with small open end wrenches. The Ohio car came apart with the sawzall as the nuts and bolts were completely fused to the exhaust flanges.

Now I live in Michigan. I'm sorry car, but I promise you'll never see salt.

mkenyon

Banned
I drove both GT86 variants when they came out...there was nothing fun about them. It was about the most boring sports car experience I've had in a very long time.
So fucking stubborn that you won't even allow for the possibility that it is an extremely poised and balanced car, that is a ton of fun to drive for a lot of people. C'mon man.

AlphaSnake

So fucking stubborn that you won't even allow for the possibility that it is an extremely poised and balanced car, that is a ton of fun to drive for a lot of people. C'mon man.

It has nothing to do with being stubborn. Not everyone in the car press even likes this car, Road & Track sure don't.

It's not that balanced. It's not that poised. The FR-S has too much body roll for my liking, actually, which is why it drifts easy (softer rear, narrow tires). The steering is too soft and mushy, not to mention purely electric which is beyond aggravating in sports cars. The 215 section tires wallow about, on top of it all. And again, it's torqueless. None of that is any fun.

Oh my god yes. I bought one used car in Ohio for a track rat and all the old parts have to come apart with liquid wrench, breaker bars and, often enough, a sawzall. My texas car that's 32 years old? No rust anywhere. Anywhere. It's like it was in some sort of time capsule.

Yeah, I made the mistake of driving my Miata last December during that freak ice storm. I immediately washed the underbody as soon as I got back home and it was freezing balls outside. But it was worth it... you could actually see the mixture being washed away.

I really need a beater car if the winter is gonna get this bad in the future.

It has nothing to do with being stubborn. Not everyone in the car press even likes this car, Road & Track sure don't.

I agree. Drive a stock NC Miata first then drive one of the Twins... both cars are similar imo.

Check out the comparisons between the two cars. Almost everyone has said they'd rather take the Twins as the daily driver and the Miata as the weekend toy car.

Surprisingly Carlos Lago from Motor Trend would rather take the Miata lol. http://youtu.be/vDYaSwd4mmk?t=11m1s

I agree. Drive a stock NC Miata first then drive one of the Twins... both cars are similar imo.

Check out the comparisons between the two cars. Almost everyone has said they'd rather take the Twins as the daily driver and the Miata as the weekend toy car.

Surprisingly Carlos Lago from Motor Trend would rather take the Miata lol. http://youtu.be/vDYaSwd4mmk?t=11m1s

The FRS and older examples like the 240sx are lower powered cars meant to be customized and built by the owner really. Uniqueness is not being the 24th guy on the block with another Corvette.

ascii42

I had never actually seen a stanced car in real life before today. Kind of assumed stanced wasn't a thing in Middle Georgia. But today I was unfortunate enough to see three: a 370Z, a Miata, and something else I didn't catch because I was distracted by the stanced.

Stanced.

ruxtpin

Banned
I had never actually seen a stanced car in real life before today. Kind of assumed stanced wasn't a thing in Middle Georgia. But today I was unfortunate enough to see three: a 370Z, a Miata, and something else I didn't catch because I was distracted by the stanced.

Stanced.

I can't imagine driving the car that low is good for the axels? Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I'm fairly certain that it tears up the inner fender whenever they go over a bump or turn more than 10 degrees.

Edit: Speaking of a stanced 370 makes my stomach turn. I liked the stock ride height.

It's not that balanced. It's not that poised. The FR-S has too much body roll for my liking, actually, which is why it drifts easy (softer rear, narrow tires). The steering is too soft and mushy, not to mention purely electric which is beyond aggravating in sports cars. The 215 section tires wallow about, on top of it all. And again, it's torqueless. None of that is any fun.

When the FR-S comes up you have a tendency to say the car is objectively bad, which frustrates people that like it. I think it's just in the way you write your opinion of it and not so much that you directly say that it's objectively bad.

I can't imagine driving the car that low is good for the axels? Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I'm fairly certain that it tears up the inner fender whenever they go over a bump or turn more than 10 degrees.

Edit: Speaking of a stanced 370 makes my stomach turn. I liked the stock ride height.

Driving a stanced car is good for exactly zero parts. The axles are messed up, the suspension geometry ruins the handling, the camber wears the tires out unbelievably fast and the ride is intolerable.

Also speed bumps may as well be road barricades.

People who "stance" our their cars will most likely have modified fenders and/or fender liners as well. Cars with MacPherson struts in the front will compress/rebound in an angle that is aligned to how its mounted on the car. They'll have better clearance with camber gain due to MacPherson struts. However, mult-link front suspension (i.e. wishbone) will compress/rebound straight up/down.

It's the drive axles that get put a lot of stress on. Think of your drive axles being "pulled out" of your driveshaft when the car is lowered because the way it's pivoted on the car. There are ways to remedy this correctly with use of axle spacers….or don't lower your car stupid low.

AlphaSnake

When the FR-S comes up you have a tendency to say the car is objectively bad, which frustrates people that like it. I think it's just in the way you write your opinion of it and not so much that you directly say that it's objectively bad.

Here's the silly thing about it all, I've always explained why I don't like the car. The words are coming from me and only me. People can take my words however they like, to be honest. I'm not running about just spewing things with no substance to back them up. I have the same concerns and reservations that many others do, as well.

It's a great starting platform, but it's not the finished product. It's like that one good in school that teachers are disappointed in because he shows tons of potential, but doesn't use it - that's my disappointment in the GT86s. If Subaru releases an STi version of this car, that one will be bonkers and outsell the base car - take my word for it. Much like Jaguar thought their V6 Supercharged variants of the F-Type would outsell the V8S and R models by a ratio of 3:1 - they were dead wrong. More people are dropping the extra $40K for the V8 models, instead. Sports car fans will flock to this car maniacally, they will considerably eat into sales of pre-owned BMW 135s and 335s, 370Zs, G37s, Mustangs, Camaros, etc. etc.

I'm relatively certain the reason why Subaru isn't releasing an STi version is due to some contractual issues, they're probably not allowed to one-up Toyota.

Here's the silly thing about it all, I've always explained why I don't like the car. The words are coming from me and only me. People can take my words however they like, to be honest. I'm not running about just spewing things with no substance to back them up. I have the same concerns and reservations that many others do, as well.

It's a great starting platform, but it's not the finished product. It's like that one good in school that teachers are disappointed in because he shows tons of potential, but doesn't use it - that's my disappointment in the GT86s. If Subaru releases an STi version of this car, that one will be bonkers and outsell the base car - take my word for it. Much like Jaguar thought their V6 Supercharged variants of the F-Type would outsell the V8S and R models by a ratio of 3:1 - they were dead wrong. More people are dropping the extra $40K for the V8 models, instead. Sports car fans will flock to this car maniacally, they will considerably eat into sales of pre-owned BMW 135s and 335s, 370Zs, G37s, Mustangs, Camaros, etc. etc.

I'm relatively certain the reason why Subaru isn't releasing an STi version is due to some contractual issues, they're probably not allowed to one-up Toyota.

Really well said. Even if the GT86 debate is a running joke here, people often at least bother to explain their positions on the thing.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

I drove a GTI that would get stuck on speed bumps for 6 months. It destroyed the axles.

An Etch-A-Sketch™ of the angle of abuse my axles were at.
76aOGmp.png

For the people that like the look though, it's worth it to them.

ameratsu

It's a great starting platform, but it's not the finished product.

The 4age ae86 corolla, cited as an inspiration for the gt86 made ~120hp stock and weighed around 2200lbs. Virtually any Japanese sports coupe sold in North America -- rwd or not -- from the 80s and 90s were not quick, or even fast by modern standards. Virtually all of them would be out accelerated in a straight line by a new v6 camry. Many had around or less than 200hp. Few were amazing performance machines for any purpose without intervention from their owners.

Complaining that a car that harkens back to this era isn't as fast as more expensive modern sports cars is missing the point. You basically hate the current incarnation of the gt86 because you think you should be able to buy an aggressive turbo version for roughly the same price it is now. Should a turbo version be announced, you will say the price is too high compared to the competition.

AlphaSnake

The 4age ae86 corolla, cited as an inspiration for the gt86 made ~120hp stock and weighed around 2200lbs. Virtually any Japanese sports coupe sold in North America -- rwd or not -- from the 80s and 90s were not quick, or even fast by modern standards. Virtually all of them would be out accelerated in a straight line by a new v6 camry. Many had around or less than 200hp. Few were amazing performance machines for any purpose without intervention from their owners.

Complaining that a car that harkens back to this era isn't as fast as more expensive modern sports cars is missing the point. You basically hate the current incarnation of the gt86 because you think you should be able to buy an aggressive turbo version for roughly the same price it is now. Should a turbo version be announced, you will say the price is too high compared to the competition.

Errr, no. I've said in the past $30-32K for an STi would be a great price, which is a jump of 6K over a standard car. So no, no I won't be saying shit. That's exactly why I mentioned people buying an STi BRZ over all sorts of other pre-owned cars that cost in the $30K~ range, especially the BMWs.

Also, 120HP on a 2200lb car 30 years ago was good and affordable power. But that was 30 years ago. And also, let's not kid ourselves...no one cared about the AE86 much before Initial D gave it a nostalgic explosion of fame. And even today, you're hard pressed to find a true AE86 without a shitton of mods done to it.

Top Bottom