• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Lol time to make Dave cry...

1tmnoTq.gif

Dave? Can you hear me? DAVE? DAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE

Nah there are plenty of old 911s out there to hot-rod. Magnus driving like that at a car show, though...dude needs to get his his shit together...

Edit: Ham-fisted show-boating at car shows should be reserved for Mustang and Corvette drivers.

psylah

Yeah, if you're in a car that lift oversteers like crazy you better know what's on the other end of the corner. Dummy didn't look through the corner.

Well, it also helps to not drive way too fast for conditions, i.e., lots of people and classic cars filling the roads around you.

If that lift on the truck had been down two feet further, it would've been a double fatality.

But since that didn't happen, I'm sure he has the cash to restore and rebuild and do it all again.

FStop7

Banned

Laws00

Okay I said I would post pics and here you guys go

I have not driven this car since Friday morning before the blizzard hit. I've just warmed the (engine) car up every day but Saturday.

My white Honda Civic EX

20160125_181325_zpsn97iglq4.jpg

20160125_171548_zpsoun6lps5.jpg

20160125_171501_zpsyoedarju.jpg

20160125_171433_zpssyjwvnlw.jpg

And a bad photo of the inside lol i'll take better photos once the snow isn't as crowded as it

20160125_171517_zpsntj9xsvh.jpg

Laekon

I'm not a big Civic fan, think the Fit is a better buy, but the new ones are really good looking. A lot better in my opinion then the horrible Corolla.

Got new rotors and pads for the back of my GTI and called a few places for install quotes. One place wanted $160. Think they would be better of just saying they don't want to do the job then coming up with a bullshit price like that.

Laws00

Looks like you have a huge touchscreen in there. Have you considered trying out Android Auto or the iOS overlay?

I use a LG Volt and it does not support my phone sadly. The only one in my family that can use the thing is my sisters Iphone. :(

Going to try to set up Aha app when I feel like going outside in the cold.

I bought the car because of the technology but sadly i can't use it or use those functions lol

Anion

All I gotta say is damn the interior is a lot better now. That's actually really nice imo compared to the previous gen for sure. Congrats man.

Now keep it until you get board and then rice it up ;)

Speaking on keeping cars in garages, I should check on my car. Had her in a garage for a month by now

I use a LG Volt and it does not support my phone sadly. The only one in my family that can use the thing is my sisters Iphone. :(

Going to try to set up Aha app when I feel like going outside in the cold.

I bought the car because of the technology but sadly i can't use it or use those functions lol
Dang. Can you unlock it and flash a Lollipop or Marshmallow ROM?

I don't know. Personally, when I test drove the CRV and RDX, I really hated how laggy Honda's touchscreen and voice features were. I'd much rather just use Android--probably even over iDrive, but it's incompatible.

Laws00

Dang. Can you unlock it and flash a Lollipop or Marshmallow ROM?

I don't know. Personally, when I test drove the CRV and RDX, I really hated how laggy Honda's touchscreen and voice features were. I'd much rather just use Android--probably even over iDrive, but it's incompatible.

I just read about that. Hell I might do that.....

To be honest the touch screen didn't bother me that much.

What I don't like and I know a lot of other people didn't like is that you can't change the volume unless you use the touch screen (and the steering wheel) It just feel so strange not having a volume button

Met a car hero of mine last week...

12555869_648894071880982_772037368_n.jpg

Super nice guy, and took a bit of time out of prepping the floor space at TAS to talk shop (and sign a few things). I did forget to ask if he's still banned in the UK HA!

Ha, I missed this earlier, but even just seeing your post quoted without the picture, just "TAS" and "banned in the UK" I was like oh nice he met Smokey! TAS is awesome, I am jealous. And I was actually in Japan like the week before too. Too bad I couldn't work out the timing to stay a little longer and make the trip out to Makuhari.

matmanx1

I dig the seats in the Civic. The new Civic interiors are very nice! Too bad about not being able to get out and drive it due to the snowstorm though, right?

Smokey

Ha, I missed this earlier, but even just seeing your post quoted without the picture, just "TAS" and "banned in the UK" I was like oh nice he met Smokey! TAS is awesome, I am jealous. And I was actually in Japan like the week before too. Too bad I couldn't work out the timing to stay a little longer and make the trip out to Makuhari.

lol

had to double take

Laws00

I dig the seats in the Civic. The new Civic interiors are very nice! Too bad about not being able to get out and drive it due to the snowstorm though, right?

pretty much. I know the car is just, a car but it snowed so much that I don't want my first experience to be with the thing is driving my car through god knows how many feet/inches of snow because my town decided to not plow anything till recently.

I drive my chevy impala thats been through a lot and i must have spun out 2 times going no less then 20. The first thing I want to do is wreck my car that's not even 3 days old yet

I know I got to drive it through the elements eventually but not right now

Quick

Banned
Been doing a bit of car shopping again, just to maybe budget accordingly when/if I get a new car next year (maybe sooner), and having pedestrian knowledge of brands, I'm curious which one offers the most bang for the buck?

From my comparison of the four brands I've checked out so far (Subaru, Mazda, Ford, Honda), Mazda seems to provide the features I'm looking at for less money.

Having test driven an Acura TLX, I really liked what it had to offer. I could afford it, but I don't want to handcuff myself on a higher priced car compared to what Subaru, Mazda, Ford, and Honda had to offer.

TylerD

Okay I said I would post pics and here you guys go

I have not driven this car since Friday morning before the blizzard hit. I've just warmed the (engine) car up every day but Saturday.

My white Honda Civic EX

20160125_181325_zpsn97iglq4.jpg

20160125_171548_zpsoun6lps5.jpg

20160125_171501_zpsyoedarju.jpg

20160125_171433_zpssyjwvnlw.jpg

And a bad photo of the inside lol i'll take better photos once the snow isn't as crowded as it

20160125_171517_zpsntj9xsvh.jpg

Very nice. The new Civic looks very sharp. You don't need to warm up the car daily though and it's actually not great for an engine to just sit and idle. Much better to start it up and drive within 30s-1min and let the car warm up that way. Congrats on the new ride.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Just saw that thread myself. Hilarious.

You didn't fail the test, though. They just saw everything was super clean except one little notch and as protocol they have to ask about it so they can document it. As the one tech mentioned in the thread, if it's above 2000 then it's an automatic failure - they won't even ask about it. It was probably somewhere in the 100 range.

Been doing a bit of car shopping again, just to maybe budget accordingly when/if I get a new car next year (maybe sooner), and having pedestrian knowledge of brands, I'm curious which one offers the most bang for the buck?

From my comparison of the four brands I've checked out so far (Subaru, Mazda, Ford, Honda), Mazda seems to provide the features I'm looking at for less money.

Having test driven an Acura TLX, I really liked what it had to offer. I could afford it, but I don't want to handcuff myself on a higher priced car compared to what Subaru, Mazda, Ford, and Honda had to offer.

Well, just think about how much you'd be comfortable spending on a car then go test drive cars that fit what you're looking for in that price range. Sure, you can spend less money and get more function/economy per dollar, but if you drove the Acura, liked it, and it fits in your budget, you may find it hard to settle for less.

Just saw that thread myself. Hilarious.

You didn't fail the test, though. They just saw everything was super clean except one little notch and as protocol they have to ask about it so they can document it. As the one tech mentioned in the thread, if it's above 2000 then it's an automatic failure - they won't even ask about it. It was probably somewhere in the 100 range.

Yeah I knew I was all right, but "I am a Successful Corporate Manager who had a Blip on a Drug Test" just didn't sound as exciting. I told my client I blew the test, too, and he said that my low steady-state opiate levels must account for why I'm never stressed at work.

You mention brands but don't really mention what segment you're looking for - I'm assuming sedan since you drove the TLX?

Anyway, if you're after a good FWD sedan you could do a lot worse than the Mazda 6.

Quick

Banned
Well, just think about how much you'd be comfortable spending on a car then go test drive cars that fit what you're looking for in that price range. Sure, you can spend less money and get more function/economy per dollar, but if you drove the Acura, liked it, and it fits in your budget, you may find it hard to settle for less.

The TLX really impressed me, but I will definitely look to test drive more cars.

You mention brands but don't really mention what segment you're looking for - I'm assuming sedan since you drove the TLX?

Anyway, if you're after a good FWD sedan you could do a lot worse than the Mazda 6.

Sorry, yes. Sedans. I thought about going for an SUV like the Mazda CX-3 or CX-5, but I'd like to stick to sedans for now.

The TLX really impressed me, but I will definitely look to test drive more cars.

Sorry, yes. Sedans. I thought about going for an SUV like the Mazda CX-3 or CX-5, but I'd like to stick to sedans for now.
I think you should definitely try to test drive as many cars that interest you as you can. Features and all that are nice, but a lot of it will come down to how it feels to drive.

Try a Volvo! Still the quirkiest of options but they're really nice cars (quirkiness is a bonus). The S60 is very closely priced to the TLX as well, with a way cooler base engine.

Edit: Nevermind I keep on forgetting how derpy the S60 face is.

Momentary

Banned
h4a0wwixagwzorqkqdc7.jpg

Also why did Lexus put their lackluster RC-F V8 in this thing instead of a turbo V8? This thing looks great but that seems underpowered for 100k.

That's what the LC 500F will be for. It's not like the basline RC comes with a V8.

I'm sure it will be the same for this thing. There talk of a Twin Turbo V8 for the F version.

FStop7

Banned
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/porsche-718-boxster-revealed-with-new.html

Not feeling it at all. The 981 was perfection in terms of design, now it's just too busy. Also couldn't they have downsized the flat 6 and slapped some turbos on it instead of making it a 4 piston? Disappointing times ahead.

Style wise it seems like it's kind of a step backwards toward the original design? It's hard to tell. I hope I'm wrong because the current Boxster looks magnitudes better than the original.

Quick

Banned
I think you should definitely try to test drive as many cars that interest you as you can. Features and all that are nice, but a lot of it will come down to how it feels to drive.

Absolutely.

I'm gonna try some cars when the weather gets better here.

Try a Volvo! Still the quirkiest of options but they're really nice cars (quirkiness is a bonus). The S60 is very closely priced to the TLX as well, with a way cooler base engine.

Edit: Nevermind I keep on forgetting how derpy the S60 face is.

Not a lot of Volvo dealerships near me, funny enough. A few downtown and a bit north of Toronto.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/porsche-718-boxster-revealed-with-new.html

Not feeling it at all. The 981 was perfection in terms of design, now it's just too busy. Also couldn't they have downsized the flat 6 and slapped some turbos on it instead of making it a 4 piston? Disappointing times ahead.

Looks like they took the lines of the 981 and chiseled them out. I quite like it, especially the front end and the 918 style DRLs.

But that noise is...well it sounds better than a turbo four deserves to, but that's about all I can say for it. You'll notice in the video you never hear the outgoing model's engine--putting the flat six in the same video as the four would not do the four any favors.

Evo X

Not really feeling that 718 at the moment, but I will reserve judgement until I see, hear, and experience the car in person. Very happy with my 981. Gorgeous looks and that flat six wail is epic.

Anyway, got to drive an MX-5 Club 6 speed manual today. What a fun little car!

I instantly felt comfortable hopping into it. Handling, brakes, and transmission were worlds better than the Base Auto model I drove last year. Clutch and steering are very light, but quite precise. There is some body roll, but it sort of works with the car as you can really lean into the corners. The seats were great as well and almost felt adaptive since they seemed to hug you tighter when you accelerated through the curves.

The best thing about it is that you can hop in and push the limits of the car on public roads without crashing or going to jail. Definitely prefer it to a FR-S/BRZ and last gen Miata.

Looked pretty slick in this Ceramic White color.

nncLcfa.jpg

WEKJQKP.jpg

q4m8ghl.jpg

Soul Red with black wheels wasn't bad either, but I might be a bit biased on that front. ;)

jPLWZ9r.jpg

Evo X

The official microsite for the 718 Boxster is up. It's got a lot of cool pics, info, and video + sound clips.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/718/usa.aspx#home

2L turbocharged flat 4 making 300HP/280lb ft in the base with a 0-60 in 4.5s.

2.5L motor making 350bhp/310lb ft in the S with a 0-60 in 4.0s and top speed of 177mph. Crazy numbers for the entry level baby Porsche and we all know they under rate figures.

Guess they are trying to offset the cylinder downgrade with a noticeable boost in performance. This thing will be a beast with an exhaust and ECU flash.

Some pics of the standard model. Still not completely sold on the styling, but at least it looks better in gray than orange.

12646872_10154070104157668_7460207552756352332_o.jpg

12496194_10154070104152668_3587599514363735374_o.jpg

SliChillax

Is the raised spoiler on the back fixed or can it be lowered? Either way I'm liking the rear end especially in gray, it's the front and interior a/c vents that I don't like. I hope they give the GTS model the 2.7 flat 6 but turbocharged.

matmanx1

In regards to the new 718 Boxster, I like the front of the car less but the back of the car more than the 981, so it's sort of a wash. I am sure they will look better in person though because pictures do not do justice to the beauty of the 981 at all. In person they are rather stunning and I expect that to be the case with the 718 as well.

In particular, I like this angle:
New-Porsche-718-10.jpg

ZetaEpyon

Anyway, got to drive an MX-5 Club 6 speed manual today. What a fun little car!

I instantly felt comfortable hopping into it. Handling, brakes, and transmission were worlds better than the Base Auto model I drove last year. Clutch and steering are very light, but quite precise. There is some body roll, but it sort of works with the car as you can really lean into the corners. The seats were great as well and almost felt adaptive since they seemed to hug you tighter when you accelerated through the curves.

The best thing about it is that you can hop in and push the limits of the car on public roads without crashing or going to jail. Definitely prefer it to a FR-S/BRZ and last gen Miata.

Looked pretty slick in this Ceramic White color.

Soul Red with black wheels wasn't bad either, but I might be a bit biased on that front. ;)

Would you say it felt quicker than the FR-S/BRZ? I'm not expecting miracles, but the drop-off from my Mazdaspeed 3 was more jarring than I anticipated when I tested those last summer.

I'm pretty interested in the new MX-5, and haven't had a chance to get out and test one yet. Unsurprisingly, dealers here in Wisconsin do not really carry much stock for two-seater convertibles during the winter.

Man, this is a pretty big moment for me. Been a petrolhead ever since I was old enough to appreciate cars and motorcycles, but due to the obvious difficulties involved in amassing the funds needed to own a proper sportscar, I've made do with bikes for the last 11 years (which is not that bad actually :p). And though my heart will forever belong to 2 Wheel GAF, I'm glad to finally have something that's worth showing here. It's this pristine, 29k mile (!), fully loaded, 2002, Porsche Boxster S:

My first ever Porsche :D. Pretty stoked.

Man, this is a pretty big moment for me. Been a petrolhead ever since I was old enough to appreciate cars and motorcycles, but due to the obvious difficulties involved in amassing the funds needed to own a proper sportscar, I've made do with bikes for the last 11 years (which is not that bad actually :p). And though my heart will forever belong to 2 Wheel GAF, I'm glad to finally have something that's worth showing here. It's this pristine, 29k mile (!), fully loaded, 2002, Porsche Boxster S:

Yeah buddy! Congratulations! And 29k on a 2002. How the hell?

Thanks! Yeah, long story. I had the chance to buy it from a friend/colleague of mine who is more of a collector actually. He owns a couple of classic 911s and he had this around to actually drive (the 911s are projects he sees more as investments). Except he ended up spending more time working on the cars than driving them. He was there actually when the first owner bought this Boxster. He then bought it off him after a couple of years and put another 10k kilometers on it during the time he owned it (so very little). The Boxster spent most of its time under the cover you see in that top picture.

Got it for an excellent price too. Once in a lifetime opportunity basically.

Would you say it felt quicker than the FR-S/BRZ? I'm not expecting miracles, but the drop-off from my Mazdaspeed 3 was more jarring than I anticipated when I tested those last summer.

The ND feels a bit quicker than the FR-S. Part of this is dynamic (it's much smaller; you're closer to the end of the car) but instrumented tests across several publications back it up.

Neither will be as fast as your Speed 3. Both will handle better.

Thanks! Yeah, long story. I had the chance to buy it from a friend/colleague of mine who is more of a collector actually. He owns a couple of classic 911s and he had this around to actually drive (the 911s are projects he sees more as investments). Except he ended up spending more time working on the cars than driving them. He was there actually when the first owner bought this Boxster. He then bought it off him after a couple of years and put another 10k kilometers on it during the time he owned it (so very little). The Boxster spent most of its time under the cover you see in that top picture.

Got it for an excellent price too. Once in a lifetime opportunity basically.

Well congrats on the solid find, then. I still have a soft-spot for the fried egg headlights. :)

One thing to watch for in low mileage vehicles with some years is that the rubber in some gaskets or seals may have dried out and become brittle. Keep an eye out for oil leaks when you start driving. And get new tires if you haven't yet! Those tires'll kill you!

Oh what am I saying you're a motorcycler, you'll know all about old tires and whatnot.

SliChillax

Yeah buddy! Congratulations! And 29k on a 2002. How the hell?

My cousin got a 2001 986 2.7 with 8000 miles for 13000 euros last year, you can find them for cheap. Red interior, carbon package inside, manual, just wonderful. I never got to drive it unfortunately and he sold it a few months ago.

Anion

So I hear they raised base price of the new 718 by $4k? That's crazy if so, keep raising the prices. I guess the extra performance compensates, but still...

Congrats man, looks immaculate and beautiful.

Well congrats on the solid find, then. I still have a soft-spot for the fried egg headlights. :)

One thing to watch for in low mileage vehicles with some years is that the rubber in some gaskets or seals may have dried out and become brittle. Keep an eye out for oil leaks when you start driving. And get new tires if you haven't yet! Those tires'll kill you!

Oh what am I saying you're a motorcycler, you'll know all about old tires and whatnot.

Yeah, I'll keep an eye on them. Will have to determine whether it's necessary to invest in that IMS bearing replacement as well...

As for the headlights, yup, have a similar soft spot. Actually kind of like them now because they remind me of the 90s, the period these were introduced and my youth :p. Luckily these are the clear headlights, look a little better than the ones that have the full orange indicators.

Congrats man, looks immaculate and beautiful.

Thank you!

Evo X

Congrats! Welcome to the Porsche family. :)

Top Bottom