• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

matmanx1

Man, this is a pretty big moment for me. Been a petrolhead ever since I was old enough to appreciate cars and motorcycles, but due to the obvious difficulties involved in amassing the funds needed to own a proper sportscar, I've made do with bikes for the last 11 years (which is not that bad actually :p). And though my heart will forever belong to 2 Wheel GAF, I'm glad to finally have something that's worth showing here. It's this pristine, 29k mile (!), fully loaded, 2002, Porsche Boxster S:

My first ever Porsche :D. Pretty stoked.

Congrats man! My first Porsche drive was likewise in a 986 Boxster S and it was a great intro to the brand. I ended up buying a base 987 Boxster but I will always remember that 986 S fondly. Enjoy it!

Miata ass for dayz!!

Lol, I've always wanted to do that but I feel that my Miata isn't rice enough for #Cambergang #Instacars #StayLow #WhateverTheFnckRIcerHashtagHere haha.

Would you say it felt quicker than the FR-S/BRZ? I'm not expecting miracles, but the drop-off from my Mazdaspeed 3 was more jarring than I anticipated when I tested those last summer.

I'm pretty interested in the new MX-5, and haven't had a chance to get out and test one yet. Unsurprisingly, dealers here in Wisconsin do not really carry much stock for two-seater convertibles during the winter.

Yeah, you honestly cannot compare an 'speed3 and any non-200hp+ Miata. Jumping from my NC to brother's 'speed3 is a challenge actually... besides the torque steer, heavier clutch and FWD, I feel like I'm having to really wrangle the 'speed3 compared to how my Miata guides me into to controlling it.

But as for the ND, I've driven it in a track setting at a Mazda event last summer and it's fncking amazing how light it is compared to my ND. Mind you the ND is about 120lbs less than my NC but it feels more than that, like about 500lbs lighter actually.

Now it could be the suspension setup as my NC is tuned for grip, or it could be the ND's electric steering versus the hydraulic in the NC that makes it seem a lot lighter, but either way the ND is muuuuuuch more tossable than my NC. On my NC you can clearly feel the understeer and the point where it transitions into oversteer(usually at corner exit), but on the ND... nah, it feels like it wants to oversteer but it's actually somehow holding grip.

I'm honestly floored by the ND but even then... I still wouldn't get one, simply because I've already got an NC. I'm actually waiting for the retractable hard top version before I fully consider it, but for the moment... it's a really interesting and fun car to own but I wouldn't get one if you already have another Miata or a Toyobaru. There's clearly a huge difference between an NC, ND and Toyobaru but they essentially handle the same so you're not really getting something out of it by switching.

But if I had a different car to begin with, I probably would've went home that day with an ND lol.

Rengoku

Man, this is a pretty big moment for me. Been a petrolhead ever since I was old enough to appreciate cars and motorcycles, but due to the obvious difficulties involved in amassing the funds needed to own a proper sportscar, I've made do with bikes for the last 11 years (which is not that bad actually :p). And though my heart will forever belong to 2 Wheel GAF, I'm glad to finally have something that's worth showing here. It's this pristine, 29k mile (!), fully loaded, 2002, Porsche Boxster S:

Congrats! its crazy how low mileage that is. Enjoy it in good health!

Buttons

Gorgeous car, congratulations! Can't wait until I can buy myself a Boxster/Cayman.

Evo X

Got my car washed and went to an empty parking lot to shoot some pics with a DSLR. Wish I had a better backdrop, but there wasn't enough time to drive out to the ocean and find a quite place with good lighting. Even though I'm hosting on Imgur, it's still clear to see the quality difference vs all of my usual cell phone snaps.

Sidenote. This car is such a sweet package and color is so fucking gorgeous, I'm debating whether picking up the white GT4 is worth the additional $35k it's gonna cost me after selling this. Delivery ETA on that is less than 2 months. :O

qkIlYQC.jpg

4yHVanf.jpg

ZfcjQs5.jpg

bdlIC4C.jpg

ZrcJXje.jpg

ecnuM4x.jpg

7Ld8v48.jpg

Lm1Bucd.jpg

c7Ms03z.jpg

Gorgeous car, congratulations! Can't wait until I can buy myself a Boxster/Cayman.

Thank you! You'll get there :D

Got my car washed and went to an empty parking lot to shoot some pics with a DSLR. Wish I had a better backdrop, but there wasn't enough time to drive out to the ocean and find a quite place with good lighting. Even though I'm hosting on Imgur, it's still clear to see the quality difference vs all of my usual cell phone snaps.

Sidenote. This car is such a sweet package and color is so fucking gorgeous, I'm debating whether picking up the white GT4 is worth the additional $35k it's gonna cost me after selling this. Delivery ETA on that is less than 2 months. :O

I think those pictures answer that question perfectly. Fucking beautiful ride, man.

Gritesh

Beautiful car man.

The dream is to one day get one myself, living in the Canadian Prairies makes it hard as I could only drive it 5-6 months a year before putting it away for winter.

I'm hoping after moving from my STi it will be to a porsche with a winter vehicle like the Tacoma. Next step is to pick up a Tacoma get that paid off then sell the Sti and hopefully move into a porsche.

Just wanted to say your car is beautiful.

matmanx1

qkIlYQC.jpg

4yHVanf.jpg

ZfcjQs5.jpg

bdlIC4C.jpg

ZrcJXje.jpg

ecnuM4x.jpg

7Ld8v48.jpg

Lm1Bucd.jpg

c7Ms03z.jpg

So....amazingly....gorgeous! Great shots, man.

But in regards to the GT4, I think if you have the means and the opportunity then yeah, you should probably go for it. As good as the GTS is, pretty much everyone has said how good the GT4 is (didn't you drive on a while back?) and that the GT4 is one of the best Porsche's available right now.

Either way, you win. I mean you already have a fantastic and gorgeous ride so it isn't like you would lose anything by staying put. That's a great place to be, actually.

SliChillax

qkIlYQC.jpg

4yHVanf.jpg

ZfcjQs5.jpg

bdlIC4C.jpg

ZrcJXje.jpg

ecnuM4x.jpg

7Ld8v48.jpg

Lm1Bucd.jpg

c7Ms03z.jpg

Is that carmine red? Looks wonderful. I'm not a fan of white cars, they look quite dull in my opinion. No matter how good a car looks in white, it will look even better in other colours.

Oh come on Evo, that car is wicked pretty but you know that once the GT4 shows up you'll wonder how you ever thought you could stick with the GTS :p. Plus depreciation on the GT4 is going to work out so much more in your favor.

Yeah, I'll keep an eye on them. Will have to determine whether it's necessary to invest in that IMS bearing replacement as well...

As for the headlights, yup, have a similar soft spot. Actually kind of like them now because they remind me of the 90s, the period these were introduced and my youth :p. Luckily these are the clear headlights, look a little better than the ones that have the full orange indicators.

I don't recall whether the '02 had a IMS that you could retrofit or not, some of them require splitting the case for replacement (but these are the ones less likely to fail anyway). That said, total investment on the replacement is less than $1,000, and I think that's worth the piece of mind. Because let me tell you, there's nothing like the terror of starting your car in the morning, hearing CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK and thinking your engine has died and you have to explain to your wife why your car needs a $15,000 repair (there's also nothing like the relief you feel when you realize it was just a couple of bad coil packs!).

And the clear side indicators as well! Everything's coming up roses!

mkenyon

Banned

Gorgeous.

And if you don't get the GT4, you'll regret it. If you do get it, and you're not totally keen on the price increase for what you get out of it, you can always sell it. GT4 prices aren't dropping anytime soon.

I'm sure you can always sell it to NoLove
Is that carmine red? Looks wonderful. I'm not a fan of white cars, they look quite dull in my opinion. No matter how good a car looks in white, it will look even better in other colours.
White Evo X is best Evo X.

White Evo X is best Evo X.

Speaking of that, my buddy was at a junkyard yesterday and 3 brand new white Evos (less than 3 miles on the odometers, still with factory coverings) were being destroyed for an insurance claim. Apparently the shade of white was off on them, and sending them back to Japan wasn't feasible. The insurance company wasn't recouping costs, they were overseeing to make sure every part was destroyed.

Apparently those 3 were the last of 11 total they "processed."

mkenyon

Banned
Speaking of that, my buddy was at a junkyard yesterday and 3 brand new white Evos (less than 3 miles on the odometers, still with factory coverings) were being destroyed for an insurance claim. Apparently the shade of white was off on them, and sending them back to Japan wasn't feasible. The insurance company wasn't recouping costs, they were overseeing to make sure every part was destroyed.

bb8a432576a952877667a352310523e3.gif

Anyone watching Barret-Jackson this week? Some decent cars Tues and Wed but now the big boys should come out.

On a side note, I gotta believe at least half the people bidding are hammered.

matmanx1

Oof. I feel that one right in the soft parts. What a shame, made even worse by the fact that the mighty Evo is now extinct and Mitsubishi may never recover enough to make another one.

FStop7

Banned
BMW has a bunch of M2 information on their US site. No configurator as of yet.

Also... this might be old news but today I just heard that there is a Porsche 911 R coming. 4 liter naturally aspirated, stick shift, etc. Not sure if it's legit but it's supposedly a reliable source.

TylerD

This is awesome man. Congratulations!
---

I have been running without my splash shield for a couple of days and noticed a couple of drops of oil under my car. After giving my engine a thorough cleaning I can see that I have an oil pan gasket leak. Oh JOY!!! It's about 3-4 drops over 12 hrs.., I may see if I can use some RTV to slow it down more. Don't want to drop the whole freaking front subframe right now or attempt the quickie fix either. I'm focusing on more suspension refresh with rear trailing arm bushings and tie rods next.

Added Koni yellow shocks and struts to my wish list. The price over OEM replacement isn't bad and would probably be worth it (+warranty). Plus, they are yellow!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

d39a26d3.gif~c200

and white is a gorgeous color on a car, an evo x especially. not that i'm biased or anything ;)

BMW has a bunch of M2 information on their US site. No configurator as of yet.

Also... this might be old news but today I just heard that there is a Porsche 911 R coming. 4 liter naturally aspirated, stick shift, etc. Not sure if it's legit but it's supposedly a reliable source.

Last I heard all the 911 Rs were already spoken for
by 918 owners. :'(

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So Dodge and Chrysler won't have a compact or midsize sedan? What?

Highly competitive market segments with low returns due to the amount needed to design and market new vehicles and the fact that the the segment is constricting; in their view permanently. SUV's and Crossovers, now that their fuel efficiency has been brought into line with traditional sedans, the collapse of oil, and the general profitability benefits for manufacturers has made traditional sedans completely noncompetitive for both manufacturers and buyers. There is a small sales example in the linked article that illustrates this point.

nib95

Banned
I've read and heard about Porsche's selling for premiums lately, especially new GT3's and 4's. Is that because there's a long waiting list on them or something? Or have I just been misinformed? The idea of buying sports cars for value appreciation and business investments, unsurprisingly greatly interests me. Notice a lot of YouTubers doing it these days too, with multiple super cars on hire purchase leases etc. Seems only certain vehicles actualy appreciate in value though, with most simply losing value in a big way.

Anion

I've read and heard about Porsche's selling for premiums lately, especially new GT3's and 4's. Is that because there's a long waiting list on them or something? Or have I just been misinformed? The idea of buying sports cars for value appreciation and business investments, unsurprisingly greatly interests me. Notice a lot of YouTubers doing it these days too, with multiple super cars on hire purchase leases etc. Seems only certain vehicles actualy appreciate in value though, with most simply losing value in a big way.

Honestly I would be pissed if I was in the market for one. I hear that the GT3s are going for 100k over msrp cause of the great demand and that they control supply. Maybe someday we all can finally buy cars straight from the manufacturer
jk dealer lobbying is too strong :'(

On a side note...I really want these rims. A set of 4 will cost $3.3k though...they may be lightweight-ish, but I just really like the look lol. Problem is that I will have to order them from a seller in europe since the dealer said he cant get them (cause they dont sell the A45 in the US)
Ill check another dealer though

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Someone bought a Tesla Model X in my neighborhood a few weeks ago. It's....

....ugly.

Thanks!

I don't recall whether the '02 had a IMS that you could retrofit or not, some of them require splitting the case for replacement (but these are the ones less likely to fail anyway). That said, total investment on the replacement is less than $1,000, and I think that's worth the piece of mind. Because let me tell you, there's nothing like the terror of starting your car in the morning, hearing CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK and thinking your engine has died and you have to explain to your wife why your car needs a $15,000 repair (there's also nothing like the relief you feel when you realize it was just a couple of bad coil packs!).

And the clear side indicators as well! Everything's coming up roses!

Yeah, it might be a little more expensive because I have a tiptronic (read that somewhere), but it'll still be worth it. No point in owning a car like this and then having to be afraid every time you drive it.

SliChillax

Honestly I would be pissed if I was in the market for one. I hear that the GT3s are going for 100k over msrp cause of the great demand and that they control supply. Maybe someday we all can finally buy cars straight from the manufacturer

On a side note...I really want these rims. A set of 4 will cost $3.3k though...they may be lightweight-ish, but I just really like the look lol. Problem is that I will have to order them from a seller in europe since the dealer said he cant get them (cause they dont sell the A45 in the US)

The ones in the C63 and AMG GTS look slightly better because they have a cover to hide the wheel bolts making it almost look like they're center lock.
2015-C-CLASS-C63-AMG-SEDAN-026-MCFO.jpg

nib95

Banned

Holy shit, that's some premium. Wonder if I can get hold of one for asking price or under. Hmm...

Side note, those rims look awesome. Very good pick.

matmanx1

---

I have been running without my splash shield for a couple of days and noticed a couple of drops of oil under my car. After giving my engine a thorough cleaning I can see that I have an oil pan gasket leak. Oh JOY!!! It's about 3-4 drops over 12 hrs.., I may see if I can use some RTV to slow it down more. Don't want to drop the whole freaking front subframe right now or attempt the quickie fix either. I'm focusing on more suspension refresh with rear trailing arm bushings and tie rods next.

Added Koni yellow shocks and struts to my wish list. The price over OEM replacement isn't bad and would probably be worth it (+warranty). Plus, they are yellow!

Dude, it sounds like we are re-tracing each other's footsteps. I had the oil pan gasket leak and now you do. You replaced your thermostat and I had to replace mine a couple of weeks back. The BMW gremlins are strong in us. We need
more reliable cars
gremlin repellent.

Gritesh

My in-laws have a model s and they are taking delivery of their model x in early April.

I'm curious to see the model x personally up close so I'll reserve my final judgements for that.

Ugh... The feels :(

Oof. I feel that one right in the soft parts. What a shame, made even worse by the fact that the mighty Evo is now extinct and Mitsubishi may never recover enough to make another one.

Going from what I had seen in Japan last week, we will not see a Evo from them for a VERY long time. All I had seen were EV sized Kei cars (and lots of Kei jidōsha cars in general in their lineup).

Someone bought a Tesla Model X in my neighborhood a few weeks ago. It's....

....ugly.
I kind of like it, actually, except it's way too huge. I might have even bought one if not for that and it being incredibly expensive.

On the other hand, did you guys see the rumor today about a smaller Model Y crossover?

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/01...wo-vehicles-in-march-a-sedan-and-a-crossover/

Tesla is saying it's not true, but a car like that would be right up my alley when I eventually replace my X3.

TylerD

Dude, it sounds like we are re-tracing each other's footsteps. I had the oil pan gasket leak and now you do. You replaced your thermostat and I had to replace mine a couple of weeks back. The BMW gremlins are strong in us. We need
more reliable cars
gremlin repellent.

But then you drive your sorted Bimmer, fall in love again and forget about those gremlins. I just bought engine mounts, transmission mounts, tie rods with new steering rack boots, mechanical tensioner pulley, and some new power steering hoses and reservoir so the filter gets replaced.

But yeah I'm waiting for a long weekend to do the oil pan gasket. It will probably be a BITCH but I'm down, i think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1c2wfo4-jw

Smokey

qkIlYQC.jpg

4yHVanf.jpg

ZfcjQs5.jpg

bdlIC4C.jpg

ZrcJXje.jpg

ecnuM4x.jpg

7Ld8v48.jpg

Lm1Bucd.jpg

c7Ms03z.jpg

Car is ugly af
Shut it down Evo

Also where tf are my RS5 pics what is wrong with you guys

FStop7

Banned
Saw thew new 991 on the road, twice. Looks pretty close to the old one. The vents on the lower rear corners gave it away.

First impression is that it still sounds good. It sounds like a Porsche should. It's surprisingly loud. I think the new car w/ sport exhaust may be louder than its predecessor.

Not much else to see from the outside, there's little to differentiate the two.

Makki

Went to my local dealer to ask about the upcoming Ford Focus RS. Ended up scoring 1 allocation for a Frost White RS. Apparently they only had 2 left. I've never put down money on an unreleased car, but it is refundable and from what everyone is describing on preliminary reviews, I dont think you will be able to buy a hatchback where you can turn all the nannies off, make AWD behave like RWD, Turbo from the factory makes 350 hp and you pay only $36k ever again. We'll see if it wins me over come delivery time later this year. Since I want to buy middle of the year I hope mine isnt available till late summer, which makes the waiting pretty easy.

Anion

The ones in the C63 and AMG GTS look slightly better because they have a cover to hide the wheel bolts making it almost look like they're center lock.
2015-C-CLASS-C63-AMG-SEDAN-026-MCFO.jpg
I totally would go for those except the those end up costing 2-2.5k more lol.
Holy shit, that's some premium. Wonder if I can get hold of one for asking price or under. Hmm...

Side note, those rims look awesome. Very good pick.
Thanks man, getting rims is so hard cause there are so many good ones haha

hwalker84

Dealer got this in

12513856_10100499856096895_4529388564968516078_o.jpg

If I didn't have my Challenger Hellcat I'd probably grab that purple one in the back :) but still that Charger doh!!! Hot!!!

Top Bottom