• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

nib95

Banned
Fudge sake I curbed my rear left wheel fairly badly yesterday. Wondering if I should just wait a bit or get it repaired straight away. Almost have a kind of OCD about it because the car is brand new, and it's irritating me to no end lol. If it wasn't so noticeable or it was one of the company cars I wouldn't even care.

Any of you tried the wheel repair kits they sell on Amazon? They seem to have pretty good reviews, one in particular is 4.5 stars after quite a few reviews. Or I just get a garage to touch it up. Or alternatively I just suck it up and leave it as one of many more to come lol.

matmanx1

But then you drive your sorted Bimmer, fall in love again and forget about those gremlins. I just bought engine mounts, transmission mounts, tie rods with new steering rack boots, mechanical tensioner pulley, and some new power steering hoses and reservoir so the filter gets replaced.

But yeah I'm waiting for a long weekend to do the oil pan gasket. It will probably be a BITCH but I'm down, i think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1c2wfo4-jw

Yeah, no doubt my car looks and drives fantastic. My previous headaches are already mostly forgiven. I still may replace it as my DD somewhere down the road if I continue to run into issues with it, however.

Went to my local dealer to ask about the upcoming Ford Focus RS. Ended up scoring 1 allocation for a Frost White RS. Apparently they only had 2 left. I've never put down money on an unreleased car, but it is refundable and from what everyone is describing on preliminary reviews, I dont think you will be able to buy a hatchback where you can turn all the nannies off, make AWD behave like RWD, Turbo from the factory makes 350 hp and you pay only $36k ever again. We'll see if it wins me over come delivery time later this year. Since I want to buy middle of the year I hope mine isnt available till late summer, which makes the waiting pretty easy.

Nice! I hope it works out for you. From the early reviews it sounds like it will be an incredible car.

Anion

Fudge sake I curbed my rear left wheel fairly badly yesterday. Wondering if I should just wait a bit or get it repaired straight away. Almost have a kind of OCD about it because the car is brand new, and it's irritating me to no end lol. If it wasn't so noticeable or it was one of the company cars I wouldn't even care.

Any of you tried the wheel repair kits they sell on Amazon? They seem to have pretty good reviews, one in particular is 4.5 stars after quite a few reviews. Or I just get a garage to touch it up. Or alternatively I just suck it up and leave it as one of many more to come lol.
Damn that sucks man. I ended up getting larger tires just for that reason so there would be a bit of a buffer between my rims and the tires.
I haven't used those kits but I do know a handful of shops are really good at making them look new again. I don't know what they do but it's like magic to me lol

Dealer got this in

12513856_10100499856096895_4529388564968516078_o.jpg

If I didn't have my Challenger Hellcat I'd probably grab that purple one in the back :) but still that Charger doh!!! Hot!!!
I would be a sucker for that blue, but I don't think I could have the guts to drive a plum hellcat lol. I feel like that would bring more attention than my red merc lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I went to buy some groceries...and I saw this:

12642741_10155488119058644_5712094734104666396_n.jpg

12651113_10155488119258644_8904429432473234786_n.jpg

It's 1 of 250 in the world. 1/125 in the United States.

nib95

Banned
Damn that sucks man. I ended up getting larger tires just for that reason so there would be a bit of a buffer between my rims and the tires.
I haven't used those kits but I do know a handful of shops are really good at making them look new again. I don't know what they do but it's like magic to me lol

Kind of wish I'd done the same. Oh well. Did the wider tires affect your handling at all, eg understeer, turn in, body roll etc? I know some advise against this for handling balance reasons, but if the affects are negligible or immaterial, it'd definitely be worth it for the practical benefits of wheel rim protection alone.

Not sure about the artwork on it, but certainly a beautiful car. Think one of the popular YouTubers drives one.

Anion

Kind of wish I'd done the same. Oh well. Did the wider tires affect your handling at all, eg understeer, turn in, body roll etc? I know some advise against this for handling balance reasons, but if the affects are negligible or immaterial, it'd definitely be worth it for the practical benefits of wheel rim protection alone.

When I was ordering my car I could choose the normal sport rim and tire package which had a 225mm tire on an 8 inch rim or the sport plus package with a 235mm on a different, but 8 inch rim. I chose the 235, so it is not like I put on any aftermarket setup. I read that +10 mm does not make noticeable difference on handling and some say that it actually helps with grip. Then again I have not experienced the 225 mm to compare it myself. Im sure someone on here has more experience with tire sizes to explain more. I would be interested too in this

Anyone watching the Rolex 24 at Daytona?

I'm tuning in for another half an hour before hitting up Ip Man 3 but this is pretty dang interesting.

The new Ford GT isn't performing that great. The GTLM Corvette's are scary fast, but not fast enough to catch the Ferrari's.

This BMW is sexy as fnck:

And surprisingly Mazda isn't performing that great either. Their #54 prototype experienced a flywheel failure so it's out. :(

#55 is still in, but it's about 2-3 laps behind after suffering an ECU failure.

But I feel like Mazda ran out of time this year and they had to rush a car out after having to can the diesel prototype's last year. Maybe next year we'll see the rotary or a turbo Skyactiv run in the races.

rokkerkory

Got my car washed and went to an empty parking lot to shoot some pics with a DSLR. Wish I had a better backdrop, but there wasn't enough time to drive out to the ocean and find a quite place with good lighting. Even though I'm hosting on Imgur, it's still clear to see the quality difference vs all of my usual cell phone snaps.

Sidenote. This car is such a sweet package and color is so fucking gorgeous, I'm debating whether picking up the white GT4 is worth the additional $35k it's gonna cost me after selling this. Delivery ETA on that is less than 2 months. :O

qkIlYQC.jpg

SNIPPED

Of course it's worth it, GT4 will only hold value vs this car and is 10x better.

AlphaSnake

Not sure about the artwork on it, but certainly a beautiful car. Think one of the popular YouTubers drives one.

Harry Metcalfe. He's actually partly responsible for creating the car and creating the SV divisions at Jaguar-Land Rover. He owns car #1.

The 'artwork' (livery) is actually based on the LeMans winning D-Type:

jaguardtypelemans1956.jpg

jaguar-d-type-01.jpeg

AlphaSnake

Could do with out the white empty circle, but everything else is gud.

Look up.

It's meant to be a track car homage.

Gulf Livery cars have the same thing too. It's mean for the car # to go there for every track day attended.

Smokey

Look up.

It's meant to be a track car homage.

Gulf Livery cars have the same thing too. It's mean for the car # to go there for every track day attended.

I understand. But with no number or anything it just looks dumb on an otherwise beautful car. It's literally an empty circle.

AlphaSnake

I understand. But with no number or anything it just looks dumb on an otherwise beautful car. It's literally an empty circle.

He'll put something there soon, I'm sure. There's a second one in the area with a 7 in it.

Hey guys,

Purchased a new R34 GTR a few weeks ago. It's a 2001 M-Spec with genuine 35k kms and 390whp. It's QX1 Pearl White in colour, this colour looks really great in the sun, but plain in photos... Has HKS turbos, Apexi computer, Nismo injectors, Nismo S-tune suspension, and Nismo exhaust. There was only 365 M-Spec built and only 92 Pearl White M-Specs. The M-Spec is a special version based on the V-Spec II but also comes with heated leather seats, and special suspension. I've taken a deposit on the blue GTR so it's been fun owning 2 R34 GTRs but it's not too last. Haven't had any time to drive or clean it lately as I've been busy with another project which I will let you know about later.

So I just spent 100 hours on this project to collate and analyse all R34 GTR VINs. I made a lot of interesting findings which are new to the community.

For example:
11,382 R34 GTRs built. (unknown before)
996 nur. (not 1000)
285 M-Spec nur (not 250).
711 V-Spec II nur (not 750).
365 M-Spec (not 228).
37 V-Spec N1 (not 45).
338 Midnight Purple II (not 300).

Pretty much everything that was thought about R34 GTR production is wrong. I mean take a look at what Wikipedia has:
Standard Cars = 3,965
V·Spec = 1,308
V·Spec UK = 80
V·Spec N1 = 45
V·Spec II = 5,512
V·Spec II Nür = 750[26]
V·Spec II N1 = 18
M·Spec = 228[27]
M·Spec Nür = 250
V-Spec II NISMO Z-tune 2 = 19
Total = 12,175
So wrong it's not even funny.

Actual numbers:
GTR = 2680
V-Spec = 4167
V-Spec N1 = 37
GTR II = 1267
V-Spec II = 1852
V-Spec II N1 = 18
M-Spec = 365
V-Spec II nur = 711
M-Spec nur = 285

I also discovered a new colour that only a single R34 GTR was painted, that noone has known about (QT1 Icelandic Pearl on BNR34-010003).

So I took all of this information and put it in an easy to search website:

GTR-Registry.com

Response has been really great so far.

nib95

Banned
When I was ordering my car I could choose the normal sport rim and tire package which had a 225mm tire on an 8 inch rim or the sport plus package with a 235mm on a different, but 8 inch rim. I chose the 235, so it is not like I put on any aftermarket setup. I read that +10 mm does not make noticeable difference on handling and some say that it actually helps with grip. Then again I have not experienced the 225 mm to compare it myself. Im sure someone on here has more experience with tire sizes to explain more. I would be interested too in this

I've read a few physics related posts and articles on it now, but nothing too specific. If when you ordered that option was available to you, I can't imagine it would have much of a negative impact, if any, on the handling or ride. It is a factory option after all. Then again, some other options for certain vehicles can have slight negative drawbacks, usually in the interests of vanity. For example, 19" rims tend to offer a slightly rougher ride, more road noise and ever so slightly worse mpg compared to smaller default/stock rims on certain vehicles. Then there's minor handling differences too.

But these things only seem to happen when the entire vehicle and set up isn't specifically designed from the ground up for that more specific set of rims and tires, which is why sports/super cars etc don't tend to suffer the same sort of negatives, as their entire chassis, suspension etc has been designed from the ground up to accomodate a particular set up.

That said, I pick 19"s over stock 17"s and 18"s every time, despite knowing some of the drawbacks lol. Probably do the same with the tires from now on, but I'd love to test the differences.

Harry Metcalfe. He's actually partly responsible for creating the car and creating the SV divisions at Jaguar-Land Rover. He owns car #1.

The 'artwork' (livery) is actually based on the LeMans winning D-Type:

jaguardtypelemans1956.jpg

jaguar-d-type-01.jpeg

Fair enough. Weird that the front line placement is different, and also that Harry's (if that's who I'm thinking of) one still doesn't have a number in it either. In fact, in every video I've seen of it, including on the group super car runs (along with Schmee and the others), it's still blank, just like your images a few posts above.

So I just spent 100 hours on this project to collate and analyse all R34 GTR VINs. I made a lot of interesting findings which are new to the community.

For example:
11,382 R34 GTRs built. (unknown before)
996 nur. (not 1000)
285 M-Spec nur (not 250).
711 V-Spec II nur (not 750).
365 M-Spec (not 228).
37 V-Spec N1 (not 45).
338 Midnight Purple II (not 300).

Pretty much everything that was thought about R34 GTR production is wrong. I mean take a look at what Wikipedia has:

So wrong it's not even funny.

Actual numbers:

I also discovered a new colour that only a single R34 GTR was painted, that noone has known about (QT1 Icelandic Pearl on BNR34-010003).

So I took all of this information and put it in an easy to search website:

GTR-Registry.com

Response has been really great so far.

Very cool dude. You should update the Wiki page too. Also really interesting about the one off pearl colour.

AlphaSnake

Fair enough. Weird that the front line placement is different, and also that Harry's (if that's who I'm thinking of) one still doesn't have a number in it either. In fact, in every video I've seen of it, including on the group super car runs (along with Schmee and the others), it's still blank, just like your images a few posts above.

Yeah, they all don't come with a number sticker from the factory because if you wanted to track it you have to assign the number yourself or the track will, in case someone already has that number chosen.

By #1, I literally meant he has VIN #1 out of the whole production lot. First ever built.

I personally would spec my Project-7 with two rear buttresses. It looks sexier that way.

matmanx1

Project 7!! Very cool. Where do you live, again? You see some cool stuff out your way.

Hey guys,

Purchased a new R34 GTR a few weeks ago. It's a 2001 M-Spec with genuine 35k kms and 390whp. It's QX1 Pearl White in colour, this colour looks really great in the sun, but plain in photos... Has HKS turbos, Apexi computer, Nismo injectors, Nismo S-tune suspension, and Nismo exhaust. There was only 365 M-Spec built and only 92 Pearl White M-Specs. The M-Spec is a special version based on the V-Spec II but also comes with heated leather seats, and special suspension. I've taken a deposit on the blue GTR so it's been fun owning 2 R34 GTRs but it's not too last. Haven't had any time to drive or clean it lately as I've been busy with another project which I will let you know about later.

I wondered when you were going to let the cat out of the bag and here it is! Congrats again on the new GTR! The R32 fever seems to be catching over here in the States (that is the latest one that is legal for us to import) with more and more of them popping up for sale and on youtube. Auto journalist Matt Farah just bought one and has been talking about it. https://www.instagram.com/p/-P533vADDd/

They are on my bucket list to drive at this point. R32, R33 and R34, someday.

AlphaSnake

Project 7!! Very cool. Where do you live, again? You see some cool stuff out your way.

In a pretty snazzy part of Central FL. Lots of very rich folk, celebs, and athletes live here. I'm poor as shit compared to them.

Hey guys,

Hey my man, congrats on the new car again! When I had visited Nissan DNA garage in Japan, it was a treat to be able to see one of those (as well as a V-Spec N1). I also got to visit Nismo Factory, and you would have LOVED it. Soooo many awesome OEM parts for purchase.

Anion

I've read a few physics related posts and articles on it now, but nothing too specific. If when you ordered that option was available to you, I can't imagine it would have much of a negative impact, if any, on the handling or ride. It is a factory option after all. Then again, some other options for certain vehicles can have slight negative drawbacks, usually in the interests of vanity. For example, 19" rims tend to offer a slightly rougher ride, more road noise and ever so slightly worse mpg compared to smaller default/stock rims on certain vehicles. Then there's minor handling differences too.

But these things only seem to happen when the entire vehicle and set up isn't specifically designed from the ground up for that more specific set of rims and tires, which is why sports/super cars etc don't tend to suffer the same sort of negatives, as their entire chassis, suspension etc has been designed from the ground up to accomodate a particular set up.

That said, I pick 19"s over stock 17"s and 18"s every time, despite knowing some of the drawbacks lol. Probably do the same with the tires from now on, but I'd love to test the differences.

Haha I would also choose the 19" over the other smaller sizes lol. I'm not going to track my car so a small difference doesn't bother me haha. I would like to try out different sizes though just to feel it for myself though. I know the actual AMG CLA45 has the 235 mm as the only option though, so I guess there is merit for my model to use them haha.

I figured if I went with the C63 rims (8.5 inch) instead of the A45 rims (8 inch), I would go with 245 mms, so that will be interesting to see how they feel. The only drawback is that the rims + tire with the C63 offset will stick more out by 1.5 cm.

LMAO:

Dude got routed to the wrong part of the track while he was headed to the garage, ended up at the public infield road instead lolol.
Man...I would be annoyed if I was him but this is too funny

theapg

Thoughts on a used 2010 Audi A4 with under 50,000 miles and under $17k? I'm sure people always ask about used entry level luxury cars for cheap, but would this be a good buy?

I just like that the interior is very nice and high quality, and this may be a little mis informed but I assume since it is a luxury car that it will last a while, be reliable, and perform well.

i honestly don't know anything about the car but that its, and I'm guessing here, out of warranty audi.

you'd be better off buying a new japanese care for that money if you want something that will last a while, be reliable, and perform well.

if not, and you want to YOLO, do it and see what happens. it may run fine to 200k with few problems.

I just like that the interior is very nice and high quality, and this may be a little mis informed but I assume since it is a luxury car that it will last a while, be reliable, and perform well.

Unfortunately the opposite is true for luxury cars, especially the entry level ones (unless you know a reasonable amount about servicing and keep on top of things).

Anion

What's the opinion on the Maserati Ghibili?

I see quite a few in my city and there is no Maserati dealership here lol. I know a while back Jalopnik had posted an article showing how the car had gotten $10-to-even-20k discounts just so Maserati could meet their goal. It looks decent but there are plenty faster and more beautiful cars out there in that segment - MB's CLS, BMW 6 series gran coupe, Audi S7, and a the equivalent Jags as some will say here haha.
But if you do find one for a huge discount, get it cause it does have a great sounding engine. At least the 'S' I heard

AlphaSnake

Thoughts on a used 2010 Audi A4 with under 50,000 miles and under $17k? I'm sure people always ask about used entry level luxury cars for cheap, but would this be a good buy?

Stay the hell away. A4s have awful residuals and can be fetched cheap for a good reason - they're generally awful and unreliable cars. A 2010 is a first model year of the B8, which already had a number of issues when it launched, and man 2010s used to PACK the service bays of my dealership back in NYC with all sorts of shit.

I had an A4 2.0T with my wife, and it was the worst car we've ever owned, it just started to fall apart after 35K miles - but luckily warranty covered all of the issues. It was such a massive headache to have a piece of shit that refused to work consistently for at least a full month. Had an A6 4.2L which also started to have tons of issues after 60K, leading to a massive transmission problem at around 75K (which prompted us to trade it for a brand new current-gen 2012 A6 3.0T...which turned out to be unreliable even new (oil consumption, numerous overheating/stuck thermostats, electrical gremlins causing the heat not to function in the bitter cold NYC weather, breaks that wear out excessively quickly at 20K miles (wtf)...etc.)

Funny enough, when our A4 2.0T had an issue and we got a loaner A4 2.0T, it was a brand new B8 model...and it got a check-engine light 2 miles after I drove it off to my office. And it wasn't something silly like a gas cap either.

Garbage. Good looking. Adequate handling. But overall cheap garbage, uninspired interior, uninspired performance, and horrifically overpriced compared to what you can get from BMW, Jaguar, Merc, Lexus, Infiniti for $20K less. Jalopnik also covered how the Ghibli defines badge shoppers, as it does not even offer some very basic (for 2015/2016) equipment anywhere on its list.

Alpha gon get ya

just wait a bit

:) Hi

xnipx

Yea my local dealer has a lease special for $699 so it was tempting me just to have something not seen too often around the city. I keep hearing horror stories about it tho so I figured I would ask here.

Quick

Banned
Having a frustrating issue with my 2006 Focus' HVAC knobs. Specifically the knob controlling the vent.

It was getting jammed or stuck and I'd have to force it to switch to a different setting. Forcing it eventually broke the cable and I had to get it replaced. Went to a Ford dealership to do that, and they said I'd need an extra part for a permanent fix. No big deal, I had them order and replace it. They didn't charge me labour, even. Fantastic.

It was turning fine when I got it back. Then I tried the knob again over the weekend and it got stuck again. I found a solution: don't turn the knob on either far ends of the setting and it'll be okay. I left it set to blast on my feet and windshield.

But whatever Ford replaced is supposed to fix the issue. I'm going to call them tomorrow to sort out my options. I can't keep going back to them about this, and I can't have it break in the middle of winter.

/vent

matmanx1

Alpha already covered this pretty well but yeah, the A4's aren't known for their reliability. The motors have weird issues and electrical problems are common (a trait they share with VW GTI's which are mechanically similar).

Well, you get a Ferrari motor, so there's that. I wouldn't kick one out of my garage, especially if I found a great deal on one. But I would also be looking really hard at other options for similar money. As others have stated, they aren't the best value but they do have sex appeal.

Pterion

Anyone willing to share their thoughts on a potential purchase? 2013 F30 335i (RWD or AWD) with m-sport and m-adaptive suspension, 50-60k miles. Reliability seems to be decent on F30 from what I've read so far.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone willing to share their thoughts on a potential purchase? 2013 F30 335i (RWD or AWD) with m-sport and m-adaptive suspension, 50-60k miles. Reliability seems to be decent on F30 from what I've read so far.
It'll get expensive out of warranty. If you budget for that, not a bad purchase. I wouldn't get a BMW without the M Sport package.

AlphaSnake

Well, you get a Ferrari motor, so there's that. I wouldn't kick one out of my garage, especially if I found a great deal on one. But I would also be looking really hard at other options for similar money. As others have stated, they aren't the best value but they do have sex appeal.

Ehhhhhh, I wouldn't say that. It's definitely not a Ferrari motor. The 4.2L in the old Gran Turismo and Quattroporte, sure I'll give it to them. But the 3.0L TT V6 is only put together at the Ferrari plant. It's actually manufactured in the Chrysler engine plant in Indiana. It's a very simple 3.0L V6 - not a whole lot different than Audi's, Merc's, BMWs's, etc.

matmanx1

A new plan is forming. I like my 128i but I am getting to the point where I don't necessarily want it to be my DD, at least not 100% of the time. I'm starting to consider buying something used, cheap and reliable to take over at least part time DD duties. And perhaps something truck'ish that wouldn't look out of place with mud on it (which I have plenty of in my neck of the woods).

I know Toyota trucks are pretty legendary in terms of reliability so I am primarily looking in that direction but would not rule out other options. I like the shape of the 4Runner and Landcruiser much better than the Tacoma and Tundra but like I said, I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

Anyone here on Auto'Gaf who's in the know about Toyota trucks?

AlphaSnake

A new plan is forming. I like my 128i but I am getting to the point where I don't necessarily want it to be my DD, at least not 100% of the time. I'm starting to consider buying something used, cheap and reliable to take over at least part time DD duties. And perhaps something truck'ish that wouldn't look out of place with mud on it (which I have plenty of in my neck of the woods).

I know Toyota trucks are pretty legendary in terms of reliability so I am primarily looking in that direction but would not rule out other options. I like the shape of the 4Runner and Landcruiser much better than the Tacoma and Tundra but like I said, I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

If you buy a Toyota truck be prepared to have a budget set aside....

For never ending oil changes and transmission fluid changes! Because they don't fucking die and you'll never feel right selling a car that chugs along like it's new!

AlphaSnake

Anybody got rental car discounts btw? I have my in-laws in town for close to 3 weeks. Wanted to know if anyone here has a corporate discount I can apply during a reservation?

*cough*Dave!*cough*

mkenyon

Banned

Bought a 2008 Tundra 5.7L for my wife about two years ago. We installed a goose neck hitch. Hauls 6000 lbs twice a week. Can fit a literal ton of alfafa in the bed. She's hauled to Montana and back. (we live in Western WA)

We changed the oil a few times. Oh, and replaced a climate control fan that went wonky.

It drives like the day we bought it.

*edit*

As a side note, I get to spend a lot of time in trucks, as we live in a rural area and my wife's hobby is training/riding horses. So, all of her social circle has trucks. I swear just about every new truck feels like a glorified SUV. I hate driving them. Engines are silky smooth, interiors are set up to make you feel as if you're in some crossover or something.

The Tundra feels like a TRUCK. I love beastly 5.7L that you seriously have to be careful with because of all that torque.

That being said, we are looking at buying a Colorado Diesel. I don't know if I could part with the Toyota though, because I'm certain that thing will last 200k+.

Anybody got rental car discounts btw? I have my in-laws in town for close to 3 weeks. Wanted to know if anyone here has a corporate discount I can apply during a reservation?

*cough*Dave!*cough*

Hahaha, sorry the only one I have is directly through the company's booking agency, so it's not going to do you any good. It's not even a very good discount, actually, I've gotten better rates on my own just by asking for a lower rate.

matmanx1

Ehhhhhh, I wouldn't say that. It's definitely not a Ferrari motor. The 4.2L in the old Gran Turismo and Quattroporte, sure I'll give it to them. But the 3.0L TT V6 is only put together at the Ferrari plant. It's actually manufactured in the Chrysler engine plant in Indiana. It's a very simple 3.0L V6 - not a whole lot different than Audi's, Merc's, BMWs's, etc.

You are right. I am mistaken. I was thinking of the Quattroporte and that 4.2L. So the Ghibli doesn't get that motor? That's a shame.

Top Bottom