• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Futureman

SOO I think I've decided to get the 2012 Honda Insight at my friend's dealer. They list it at $14,416 and he said he could offer it to me at $14,100. Should I try to talk him down even further??

Now... To make the monthly payments work, I will need to put down $5,000.

I'm wondering if I should just lease a brand new one? Leases typically look like $2,000 down and the monthly payment would be cheaper. I'm fine w/ 12K miles/year as I don't drive THAT much. I guess w/ a lease you need to be much more careful as far as keeping things clean? I would probably just buy the car when the lease is up.

advice??

SOO I think I've decided to get the 2012 Honda Insight at my friend's dealer. They list it at $14,416 and he said he could offer it to me at $14,100. Should I try to talk him down even further??

Now... To make the monthly payments work, I will need to put down $5,000.

I'm wondering if I should just lease a brand new one? Leases typically look like $2,000 down and the monthly payment would be cheaper. I'm fine w/ 12K miles/year as I don't drive THAT much. I guess w/ a lease you need to be much more careful as far as keeping things clean? I would probably just buy the car when the lease is up.

advice??

I would go with the 2012 Insight. Fairly new and certified, so I am assuming reasonably low mileage. Most of the depreciation is in the first 3 years, so that is already taken care of.

Especially if you plan to buy the new car when the lease is up. It would be equivalent to buying a new car with a mileage limit for the first two years.

Futureman

my thinking is the lease is a lot cheaper initially and the monthly payment will probably be lower as well.

I've just been driving around the worst car ever for the last 7 years and a brand new vehicle seems so appealing right now.

I feel like I should do a 2 year lease and then when that is up I'll be better off financially and can start a new lease at that point or buy something used then.

edit: having to put down $5k for the used Insight initially vs probably around $2k for the lease is really sticking with me right now.

No Love

Banned
my thinking is the lease is a lot cheaper initially and the monthly payment will probably be lower as well.

I've just been driving around the worst car ever for the last 7 years and a brand new vehicle seems so appealing right now.

I feel like I should do a 2 year lease and then when that is up I'll be better off financially and can start a new lease at that point or buy something used then.

edit: having to put down $5k for the used Insight initially vs probably around $2k for the lease is really sticking with me right now.

Why are you even buying a hybrid if you don't plan to drive more than 12k miles a year? Just get a regular gas powered car.

Futureman

well I started initially looking at the Insight as it was the only car in my price range that looked interesting.

I'm leaning more towards the used 2012 $14k now. Spoke with a few dealers and the Insight lease is higher per month than I expected.

Ty4on

Why are you even buying a hybrid if you don't plan to drive more than 12k miles a year? Just get a regular gas powered car.
The Insight is cheap. According to NADA guides (thanks for the link whatsinaname! ) a 2012 base Insight with 30k miles is cheaper than a 2012 base Fit with 30k miles.

I don't know all the spec, but given that the Insight comes with automatic climate control as standard and I can't find the option for it in the Fit I'm pretty sure the Insight is much better equipped. Not to mention that hwy wise the Fit burns one third more gas which isn't trivial. After three years with 12k yearly miles and a constant 3.6$ a gallon that is suddenly 981 dollars.

Yay the track posted their photos of the event! Boo only a handful of my car!

Anyway I want to share because I am the king of body roll. And check out the camber on the rear tires, about 2.4 degrees since the car is lowered and that's as close as I can get back to the stock setup.

haKpxq4.jpg

PGRhWEk.jpg

I'm surprised at how well the little thing held its own against the modern cars on the track. I had no problem getting by several cars and was able to stay on an RX-8 helmed by a good driver though I couldn't get by him (and didn't really want to anyway since it shot hilarious amounts of fire out of its exhausts). Leaving the track I came up with a list of modifications I should make before going back before remembering I have an honest to god 944 track car in the works that I need to hurry up and finish. Hopefully I can have that done for the next event so I don't go and boil the 911's brakes again.

psylah

New Car! Got an amazing deal on it. Loving it so far.

One of the folks in our office got one of these, and was involved in an accident a few months later. Car was utterly destroyed but besides a few scratches and a sore back, they were fine. It saved his and his wife's lives.

Caius

Banned
Here she is, in all her glory, my 911 Turbo:
Sweet ride!

Here's mine:
C63, Eurocharge tuned, Qualife LSD, Akrapovic Full Titanium exhaust, Braille lightweight battery, SMERC front and rear strut bars, Evosport front and rear 2-piece rotors, stock rims mounted w/winter tires, summer tires mounted on set of Forgestar F14s
img0798hp.jpg

img0801ez.jpg

img1831v.jpg

img1830l.jpg

Yay the track posted their photos of the event! Boo only a handful of my car!

Anyway I want to share because I am the king of body roll. And check out the camber on the rear tires, about 2.4 degrees since the car is lowered and that's as close as I can get back to the stock setup.

haKpxq4.jpg

PGRhWEk.jpg

I'm surprised at how well the little thing held its own against the modern cars on the track. I had no problem getting by several cars and was able to stay on an RX-8 helmed by a good driver though I couldn't get by him (and didn't really want to anyway since it shot hilarious amounts of fire out of its exhausts). Leaving the track I came up with a list of modifications I should make before going back before remembering I have an honest to god 944 track car in the works that I need to hurry up and finish. Hopefully I can have that done for the next event so I don't go and boil the 911's brakes again.

Good stuff!

Tracking is so addictive yet so expensive :( tires, brakes and other consumables go up so fast.

Regardless of their pace, I commend all those who visit the track even a couple of times to learn to drive a car faster than their comfort level but in a safe environment.

Nothing more sad then seeing exotics and sports cars putting around town.

Good stuff!

Tracking is so addictive yet so expensive :( tires, brakes and other consumables go up so fast.

Regardless of their pace, I commend all those who visit the track even a couple of times to learn to drive a car faster than their comfort level but in a safe environment.

Nothing more sad then seeing exotics and sports cars putting around town.

Yeah you can tell a lot of people are just out there to learn the car and slooowly get to its limits. Others are out there to push it pretty aggressively. There's no bragging or competitiveness really, just people having fun. You can meet a lot of cool folks too. But yeah it's not exactly cheap--feeling the tread on my rear tires was...painful.

Two cars did get wrecked that day though, someone in a BRZ lost control of his car and came into the side of the race director's Mustang, slamming it into the wall (I'm not 100% that this is what happened, info was sparse). It happens, I guess, but everyone was okay even if the cars weren't.

Yeah you can tell a lot of people are just out there to learn the car and slooowly get to its limits. Others are out there to push it pretty aggressively. There's no bragging or competitiveness really, just people having fun. You can meet a lot of cool folks too. But yeah it's not exactly cheap--feeling the tread on my rear tires was...painful.

Two cars did get wrecked that day though, someone in a BRZ lost control of his car and came into the side of the race director's Mustang, slamming it into the wall (I'm not 100% that this is what happened, info was sparse). It happens, I guess, but everyone was okay even if the cars weren't.

A BRZ failing to turn and crashing into a Mustang is cosmic irony on a god-level.

Grats to everyone with a new whip, seems like there's been a lot of acquisitions lately by AutoGAF.

That sucks about the wreck. It can happen for sure but often at the track, you get the luxury of walking away. Street hooliganism can be not as forgiving.

Thankfully, I've been fast enough to get into the open/race groups quickly where people tend to have more experience, better car control and a general sense of calm when something does go wrong.

Most of the track incidents I've seen are generally in the intermediate groups where people are driving the car past their comfort zone and then panicking when something goes wrong.

That sucks about the wreck. It can happen for sure but often at the track, you get the luxury of walking away. Street hooliganism can be not as forgiving.

Thankfully, I've been fast enough to get into the open/race groups quickly where people tend to have more experience, better car control and a general sense of calm when something does go wrong.

Most of the track incidents I've seen are generally in the intermediate groups where people are driving the car past their comfort zone and then panicking when something goes wrong.

Yeah, people suspected that the BRZ driver put two in the dirt coming out of the turn and over-corrected back on track. I've watched another inexperienced driver do the same exact thing at mid-ohio. Everyone's told how to get the car back on track after doing that but new drivers sometimes end up panicking and losing it.

I guess it's shocking the first time it happens but it's actually really easy to deal with if you stay calm, I've put two off a bunch to no ill effect.

Welp... Some more print media has been lost.

RIP Import Tuner, and Honda Tuning...

I actually have some friends who worked for them both. Hopefully everyone working there will fall back on their feet.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Welp... Some more print media has been lost.

RIP Import Tuner, and Honda Tuning...

I actually have some friends who worked for them both. Hopefully everyone working there will fall back on their feet.

Turns out Automobile Mag will not be closed. Just relocated and the mag will live on.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lHRfVgomaGo

Hot lap from today at Sears point/infenion raceway/Sonoma raceway but really regarded as one of the most difficult tracks in the world due to its elevation changes and corner oddities.

With it being quite famous, traffic was a nightmare until the last session when people packed up. Was working pretty hard to chase down a full blown racecar CTS-V.

I'm in a 2011 Z06 with Michelin sport cups (2nd day and done).

I'll post the full chase where we are cutting through traffic and he's doing a smart job of leaving lap traffic for me in a tactical manner. Cool guy however.

Hot lap from today at Sears point/infenion raceway/Sonoma raceway but really regarded as one of the most difficult tracks in the world due to its elevation changes and corner oddities.

With it being quite famous, traffic was a nightmare until the last session when people packed up. Was working pretty hard to chase down a full blown racecar CTS-V.

I'll post the full chase where we are cutting through traffic and he's doing a smart job of leaving lap traffic for me in a tactical manner. Cool guy however.

awesome! Sonoma/Infineon is still one of those tracks I'm scared of. Walls EVERYWHERE especially that last hairpin turn.

I'm gonna be at Laguna Seca next month and I'm terrified of that slight uphill on Turn 1 going into Turn 2 & 3.

Exokell

Banned
Hey guys I need help. My car got wrecked the other day, so I need a new car. Well I want a second hand 2012 BMW 328i. But I don't know where to look for one. Can u guys help me out. Which sites to go to. I'm at inland empire at social.

Oh yeah is the 328i a good car? What u think?

awesome! Sonoma/Infineon is still one of those tracks I'm scared of. Walls EVERYWHERE especially that last hairpin turn.

I'm gonna be at Laguna Seca next month and I'm terrified of that slight uphill on Turn 1 going into Turn 2 & 3.

That wall isn't that scary in person. The fun is coming into T10 at 115mph+ and see how big your balls are on entry speed. Fuck that up and you're guaranteed to either hit the outside wall or slam the other way to the inside wall.

You have the right mentality though. You have to respect the hell out of Sonoma or it'll leave you with a metal bow tie.

About 5-6 cars yesterday experienced such.

Enjoy Laguna! Never been :(

psylah

Hey guys I need help. My car got wrecked the other day, so I need a new car. Well I want a second hand 2012 BMW 328i. But I don't know where to look for one. Can u guys help me out. Which sites to go to. I'm at inland empire at social.

You've come to the right place, a lot of BMW love from the posters here.

If you're thinking of buying a 2012, you should really get one Certified Pre-Owned from the dealer.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

What's your budget? How long do you plan on keeping the car? After about 4 years and some mileage past 50K, German cars are simply rubbish (lots of experience here).

bcl0328

if you get a 2012, get the F30. better gas mileage and more power. they are pretty cheap now. i've had no problems with mine.

Exokell

Banned
Yeah I want the f30. Its hard to find a second hand. My budget is like around 24,000. Don't want preowned certified, those are more expensive. I've seen 2013 328i with 5000 miles on em with nav and sunroof at 30000. Is that a good deal?

Smokey

Yeah I want the f30. Its hard to find a second hand. My budget is like around 24,000. Don't want preowned certified, those are more expensive. I've seen 2013 328i with 5000 miles on em with nav and sunroof at 30000. Is that a good deal?

This is the route I took with my BMW, and is the only way I'd buy a used foreign luxury car. As I just mentioned I got mine 3 years ago at 19k miles and currently sit at 83k. Only major issue I had was the water pump going out and that was relatively early and was covered under warranty.

I would wait and save more until a CPO comes within your range. The extra 2 years/100,000 miles is great. Just my opinion.

Love your videos man. I'm going to continue living vicariously through them until I buy a respectable track car and jump in on the fun.

Why do you specifically want a 328i? We could suggest other cars to look at if you like.

There's several massive BMW enthusiast forums, Bimmerpost, Bimmerforums, etc. where people will probably be able to drown you in information about any BMW under the sun.

If you care about performance and handling, many people think the F30 got softer compared to the E90. The last BMW I've driven was my uncle's 06 6-Series, so I'm afraid I don't have much further insight...unless you're interested in an i3...drove that thing a few weeks back.
----------------

In other news, I drove to Indiana with my friend on Saturday to pick up his FR-S. He wants to drop a turbo in it and is convinced it'll take to tuning very well based on stuff he's read about it. We drove back to STL averaging just under three digits on the speedo. I'm glad I finally got some time to actually experience the car after all of this discussion. It was a very solid package for the price. Nothing blew me away, but nothing stuck out to me as poor. The interior was an alright enough place to be. The only absolutely offensive bit was the faux carbon fiber inserts on the dash, and the sound system may as well have been an aftermarket wal-mart special. The bucket seats felt a little cramped in the lower lumbar area, but otherwise ok.

I actually enjoyed the sound of the engine and exhaust, it wasn't pretending to be something it's not, and it was interesting to listen to an NA 4-cylinder boxer coming from my turbo'd straight four. There was a noticeable torque dip at around 3-4k RPM I believe, but it was an enjoyable enough experience otherwise, and it felt pretty sturdy at higher speeds.

He loves it and it beats the hell out of the Accord he's getting rid of, so I'm happy for him. He also texted me that his CEL came on this morning :[

I also have some pics from the STL European Auto Show, but I'll post those in a little while. Excuse the essay-length post.

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but since this is the only car thread I could find, I figured it would be ok to ask. Is there a website out there where I can select features in a car I value, such as "quiet interior" or "trunk space" or whatever, and find cars based on those features? I'm looking up cars, and I'm having trouble finding stuff like "this car has the smoothest ride" or 'this is the quietest car to drive" or "this car has the most technology/gadgets standard". Most sites seem to just have 'this is the best mid-size sedan" and that's about it. I want something more granular.

Top Bottom