• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

TylerD

A new plan is forming. I like my 128i but I am getting to the point where I don't necessarily want it to be my DD, at least not 100% of the time. I'm starting to consider buying something used, cheap and reliable to take over at least part time DD duties. And perhaps something truck'ish that wouldn't look out of place with mud on it (which I have plenty of in my neck of the woods).

I know Toyota trucks are pretty legendary in terms of reliability so I am primarily looking in that direction but would not rule out other options. I like the shape of the 4Runner and Landcruiser much better than the Tacoma and Tundra but like I said, I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

Anyone here on Auto'Gaf who's in the know about Toyota trucks?

My parents have had a 08 Tundra 5.7 V8 since 09 and have had virtually no issues other than some minor interior related things. They got it with 25K on it and it has 90K now. They LOVE it.

Anion

You are right. I am mistaken. I was thinking of the Quattroporte and that 4.2L. So the Ghibli doesn't get that motor? That's a shame.

I was thinking the same too, I had no idea that the ghibli doesn't have a ferrari motor. That kinda makes it completely pointless to me now lol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hahaha, sorry the only one I have is directly through the company's booking agency, so it's not going to do you any good. It's not even a very good discount, actually, I've gotten better rates on my own just by asking for a lower rate.

Turns out my wife's company (a logistics/palette pooling company) actually has a pretty deep discount with Alamo.

But what's crazy is that Sixt branches are ridiculously cheap without any discount and have great cars. :|

AlphaSnake

I was thinking the same too, I had no idea that the ghibli doesn't have a ferrari motor. That kinda makes it completely pointless to me now lol.

FIAT has completely spun Ferrari off to do their own thing and not be involved with the rest of the FCA brand, that's why they even let the company go public on its own.

But yeah, the Ghibli's 3.0 doesn't even sound that great, either.

So I just spent 100 hours on this project to collate and analyse all R34 GTR VINs. I made a lot of interesting findings which are new to the community.

For example:
11,382 R34 GTRs built. (unknown before)
996 nur. (not 1000)
285 M-Spec nur (not 250).
711 V-Spec II nur (not 750).
365 M-Spec (not 228).
37 V-Spec N1 (not 45).
338 Midnight Purple II (not 300).

Pretty much everything that was thought about R34 GTR production is wrong. I mean take a look at what Wikipedia has:

So wrong it's not even funny.

Actual numbers:

I also discovered a new colour that only a single R34 GTR was painted, that noone has known about (QT1 Icelandic Pearl on BNR34-010003).

So I took all of this information and put it in an easy to search website:

GTR-Registry.com

Response has been really great so far.

how many R-tune have been done I wonder?
mine is serial number 300 and something.

Spent the evening on some paint correction on the Z06.Once that its wrapped up its on to polishing out the CCW's before the supercharger gets added. It's going to be a fun year!

Very cool dude. You should update the Wiki page too. Also really interesting about the one off pearl colour.
Technically that would be breaking the rules as I came up with the data lol.
I wondered when you were going to let the cat out of the bag and here it is! Congrats again on the new GTR! The R32 fever seems to be catching over here in the States (that is the latest one that is legal for us to import) with more and more of them popping up for sale and on youtube. Auto journalist Matt Farah just bought one and has been talking about it. https://www.instagram.com/p/-P533vADDd/

They are on my bucket list to drive at this point. R32, R33 and R34, someday.
Cheers. Working on R32 GTR VINs now :) Will take a few weeks. I see a R32 GTR just sold at auction in USA for $75k USD + 10%
http://www.rmsothebys.com/az16/arizona/lots/1989-nissan-skyline-gt-r/1078425
Hey my man, congrats on the new car again! When I had visited Nissan DNA garage in Japan, it was a treat to be able to see one of those (as well as a V-Spec N1). I also got to visit Nismo Factory, and you would have LOVED it. Soooo many awesome OEM parts for purchase.
Cheers. Yeah I would LOVE to go there. Was the M-Spec gold (Silica breath)? Wonder if is 1 of the 3 prototype cars I found in the VINs. Take any photos? But my wallet would kill me haha
how many R-tune have been done I wonder?
mine is serial number 300 and something.
PM'd

Any current-gen (15-16) STI owners? Looking for feedback on why you picked it over a WRX and any other opinions. Thinking of trading up this summer.

matmanx1

My parents have had a 08 Tundra 5.7 V8 since 09 and have had virtually no issues other than some minor interior related things. They got it with 25K on it and it has 90K now. They LOVE it.

Yeah, everyone seems to love the Tundra. And their resale values are crazy. I see 100k mile examples around here that are 10 years old and older going for $15k + and sometimes closer to $20k. My budget is going to be more like $10k or less so a Tundra may not be possible unless I can find an extremely good deal.

Laekon

Turns out my wife's company (a logistics/palette pooling company) actually has a pretty deep discount with Alamo.

But what's crazy is that Sixt branches are ridiculously cheap without any discount and have great cars. :|
Corporate rates are only better at the most expensive times of year in my experience. I could find cheaper rates online, even from the same brand, 70% of the time traveling for work.

Sixt gave me an E class Mercedes once in Munich when I booked a Focus. I'll always like them for that.

mkenyon

Banned
Any current-gen (15-16) STI owners? Looking for feedback on why you picked it over a WRX and any other opinions. Thinking of trading up this summer.
Wait until they replace the EJ25. Seriously.

Or get a WRX and spend the extra on brakes and suspension. Stage 2 on the FA20 gets you to ~330whp.

TylerD

Spent the evening on some paint correction on the Z06.Once that its wrapped up its on to polishing out the CCW's before the supercharger gets added. It's going to be a fun year!

Very clean looking Z06. That door reflection is ridiculous. How much HP are you shooting for with the supercharger?

matmanx1

The wife has signed off on the idea of a 3rd vehicle pending the outcome of our Income Taxes. I don't think we should owe a bunch this year but we definitely need to get that nailed down first.

In the spirit of doing "research" I went and drove a 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser with 269,000 miles on it at the local Toyota dealership during my lunch break. Besides some minor paint fading and interior wear and the sunroof not working I would be hard pressed to believe that the truck has as many miles on the odometer as it did. It drove really well. It was quiet, composed and everything worked like it should. Tons of room, obviously, but I was really there to evaluate how I would feel about driving around in such a big vehicle on a daily basis. And I have to say, it's not bad at all!

I don't think I would sign on the dotted line for a vehicle at a dealership with that many miles on it unless it came with a pretty detailed service history but if I found one from a private seller that had been well maintained I don't think 270k miles is too much for a Land Cruiser.

Next up, hopefully I can find a 4Runner to test out. Those seem to be as rare as the Land Cruisers (although less expensive).

My brother has a 15 STI. Chose it over the WRX for cosmetic reasons really.

I don't get to drive it much but I love the steering,visibility, interior quality for $35 to 40k, and the sound of the boxer engine.
Doesn't feel that fast but thats because I'm used to my car, and because AWD pulls feel slower for some reason.

He's planning to sell it in about a year as I'm talking him into getting rid of it before the new engine is released. Latest rumors were 2018 for the new model.

theapg

Thank you all for the Audi A4 advice. If thats not the route to go, what midsize car under $19k, new or used, would you all recommend? Also thoughts on a 2012 Acura TL with 34k miles on it for $19k? I apologize if these kind of posts are super common or frowned upon.

Thank you all for the Audi A4 advice. If thats not the route to go, what midsize car under $19k, new or used, would you all recommend? Also thoughts on a 2012 Acura TL with 34k miles on it for $19k? I apologize if these kind of posts are super common or frowned upon.

if you want luxury and reliability under $20k thats a good choice.

i'm sure others will add other recommendations.

Arucardo

Sold my E36 325ci last year and recently started feeling like I definitely need a car again.

I know it's not a Porsche, Lambo or a Skyline but I like it :p , wasn't too expensive either and the ride comfort is on another level compared to the 1.6 liter corolla I drove in between.

img_20160203_1459160jsr5.jpg

E39 528 M-Sport

Welp.

Part of me feels like this is bullshit, but it's been 6 hours since it got posted and I highly doubt MT or Scion would be careless enough to keep the article up if it wasn't BS.

But for now...

tumblr_mpe1r8ntFI1r2du9bo1_500.gif

It's overdue.

Even the speeding ticket I picked up in the FR-S says 'Toyota' on it.

No, They will gladly welcome the GT-86.

And just in time for the expected refresh too.

matmanx1

These types of posts are not frowned upon at all. We love to give our opinions on all things automotive here. You can't go wrong with an Acura and although I haven't driven the TL I do have it on my list for the near future. If you want long term reliability then stick with the Japanese brands with Lexus, Acura and Infiniti being at the top of that list.

Sold my E36 325ci last year and recently started feeling like I definitely need a car again.

I know it's not a Porsche, Lambo or a Skyline but I like it :p , wasn't too expensive either and the ride comfort is on another level compared to the 1.6 liter corolla I drove in between.

E39 528 M-Sport

Nice! Enjoy the driving and make sure to save a few pennies for the repairs down the road. Older BMW's tend to be expensive to maintain but are oh so nice to operate.

Arucardo

Nice! Enjoy the driving and make sure to save a few pennies for the repairs down the road. Older BMW's tend to be expensive to maintain but are oh so nice to operate.

Thanks! :)

All the common issues with the e39 (radiator, vanos, etc) have been taken care of quite recently and I have all the receipts for it. The last two owners were both serious car guys and didn't cheap out on anything, two oil changes a year, only higher grade gasoline and so on. Felt pretty confident about the purchase.

I'm gonna have a mechanic take a good look at the car this summer just to see if there's something that might need doing on it. So far it drives and runs beautifully. Had it's yearly inspection the day before I purchased it too and passed without any remarks.

AlphaSnake

Not frowned upon at all.

We'd be more upset if a fellow member bought an unreliable money pit.

Acuras are great cars. Extremely reliable, very easy to maintain, with good build quality.

You can also look at Infinitis and Lexus. Generally, luxury Japanese cars are an extremely safe bet with virtually no compromise.

mkenyon

Banned
G37s are dead reliable if you were interested in something that isn't FWD.

Evo X

And nothing of value was lost.

My first car was an Acura TL-Type S and I loved it. Fun, reliable, nice interior. Go for it. It will be a much smarter purchase than a 2010 A4.

AlphaSnake

Scion was always a worthless brand. So glad to wake up to the news of its demise.

SliChillax

The Toyota GT-86 does not exist in the United States, it was sold here as the Scion FR-S.

I take it there won't be a GT-86 in the states until the next model year.

All the Scion models will be re-badged as Toyotas. Only the tC will cease production.

Business owners bought xB's for all that cheap storage room.

I have rarely seen a young person in an xB.

I have a friend who drives a Scion xB and is in an xB club and they slam them and do all sorts of super ricey stuff. He's done a nice job with all of his modifications, even if I think they're silly.

I've also seen an xB with truck nutz on it, so there's that.

Futureman

My lease is up in May and I'm not sure what to do.

My GF and I were talking about buying a car.

If we are interested in something like a hatchback Prius... What are some other options we should consider? Any idea, roughly, what the down payment and monthly cost would be to buy a 2016 Prius?

Edit: is this thread only about super fancy cars? Or anyone with general car questions?

SliChillax

My lease is up in May and I'm not sure what to do.

My GF and I were talking about buying a car.

If we are interested in something like a hatchback Prius... What are some other options we should consider? Any idea, roughly, what the down payment and monthly cost would be to buy a 2016 Prius?

Edit: is this thread only about super fancy cars? Or anyone with general car questions?

General questions, no fancy cars needed but a 2016 Prius? Really? How can people buy something that looks like this :/
Prius_01.0.jpg

General questions, no fancy cars needed but a 2016 Prius? Really? How can people buy something that looks like this :/

Because it gets a jillion miles to the gallon and will run forever.

Futureman, what are the priorities? Space? Reliability? Performance?

The only real competitor to the Prius is the Civic Hybrid, which I believe is taking 2016 off while it gets moved to the new platform. But many economy cars will get you good mileage for well under $25k. I'd try the Mazda 3 and the Civic for starters.

Top Bottom