• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

matmanx1

Got a dumb question for you guys but again, first time buying my own car - For an average dealership, how long would a test drive be allowed for? Frankly for a used car I wouldn't mind my test drive be me taking it down to my normal mechanic to have them give a once-over, but the dealerships I'm looking at are a good 30-40 mins away from said mechanic.

A good dealership would probably allow you to do something like this. I've had several of the dealers around here offer to let me keep a car overnight to make sure I like it. Maybe they are just unusually nice around here but it does not hurt to ask, especially if they know that you are serious about the car.

I'm copping a new Jaguar XF next month. Got one on order. Rhodium Silver with black interior.

2016_Jaguar_XF_35t_Premium_4dr_Sedan_30L_6cyl_SC_8A_6963118.jpg

You're getting a J-A-G! (trying for the Clarkson voice, did it work?) Beautiful car. Trading in your old one?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
A good dealership would probably allow you to do something like this. I've had several of the dealers around here offer to let me keep a car overnight to make sure I like it. Maybe they are just unusually nice around here but it does not hurt to ask, especially if they know that you are serious about the car.

You're getting a J-A-G! (trying for the Clarkson voice, did it work?) Beautiful car. Trading in your old one?

Yep. Returning the old XF for this one. Really looking forward to it. Just have to wait a little bit for the order.

I'm copping a new Jaguar XF next month. Got one on order. Rhodium Silver with black interior.

[IG]https://s.graphiq.com/sites/default/files/4315/media/images/2016_Jaguar_XF_35t_Premium_4dr_Sedan_30L_6cyl_SC_8A_6963118.jpg[/IMG]

Smokey, step up your game. Time to post pics of your Corolla S.

New video of the 718 Boxster S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2iVVt1kG2w

That rear Porsche badging in chrome looks ostentatious and has to go or at least be available in flat black.

Front end looks like a generic Chinese ripoff of the old one. Like if Rockstar had to model a Porsche for GTA.

I like the look of it. I wouldn't call it better or worse looking than the outgoing model, just different. The sound, though. Why couldn't they have just gone with a smaller six? So depressing.

SliChillax

New one does sound like turd compared to current one

Same crap as going from E9x m3 to F8x

But the F8x M3/4 don't sound like crap (especially the 2015 and later models with the new exhaust), they just sound worse than the V8. The Porsche though sounds baaad.

Let me guess, you don't get these headlights in the US do you? Makes the car look more fresh and different than the old XF.
NY7.jpg

So serious question and advice/suggestions/impressions are welcome. I'm thinking of getting a new car. But I'm having trouble deciding between these new 2016 (or latest) models in the US:

BMW 340i
Jaguar XE Premium
Mercedes C Class (250)
Audi A4
Lexus IS 350

I don't know much about cars but I'd like a nice car to drive and take to work. Fuel efficiency and costs for insurance and maintenance is also something I would like to consider but I can't find much info on Jaguar maintenance costs or insurance costs compared to BMW or Mercedes. I am also working at a tech company so everyone on my team has either a BMW or Mercedes. I've traditionally always preferred Japanese and family cars (my family is all Camry from various years). But since the Nissan GTR is out of my price range I figure I'd consider the above.

Or should I just consider the Tesla Model S and call it a day?

Thanks for all the help.

SliChillax

Tesla is too expensive and the interior quality is really mediocre for the price. Also depending on where you live, you will have to think twice before you go on a long road trip. As for the others, why would you pick a C250 when you can get an XE-S or a 340i? I've tried the C class and it's my least favourite of the 3 germans mainly because of the looks and I hate Mercedes interiors with that ugly tacked on screen in the middle. I would highly advise test driving them and see which you prefer but I've heard nothing but great things about the Jaguar except fuel economy.

But the F8x M3/4 don't sound like crap (especially the 2015 and later models with the new exhaust), they just sound worse than the V8. The Porsche though sounds baaad.

Totally disagree. The M3/4 sounds like absolute dogshit. I can't think of a less appealing sportscar exhaust note. Even the 718 exhaust, at least it's just boring, not actively shit like the BMW.

Tesla is too expensive and the interior quality is really mediocre for the price. Also depending on where you live, you will have to think twice before you go on a long road trip. As for the others, why would you pick a C250 when you can get an XE-S or a 340i? I've tried the C class and it's my least favourite of the 3 germans mainly because of the looks and I hate Mercedes interiors with that ugly tacked on screen in the middle. I would highly advise test driving them and see which you prefer but I've heard nothing but great things about the Jaguar except fuel economy.

Thanks for your input. I agree with much of what you say. I think I only listed Mercedes because of the prestige the name brings. Where I live, everyone really just looks at 2 cars: BMW and Mercedes. It doesn't even matter what model and it seems that not many know much about cars. So the prestige factor is something I am consider even if I don't like most Mercedes models and their interiors (great functionality and options, but cluttered, in my opinion).

I've never driven a Tesla but I've sat in one at a showroom, but it's also a big and fancy car that people love in my area.

The reason why I listed Jaguar is because I've always liked the designs over the last few years I've seen them on the road or at client sites. Even the newer XE design is less assertive than the XF and sportier models, it still looks really nice to me. But the biggest factor is that when I walk around my company parking lot, everyone has Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, VW, Nissan, Tesla, etc. but no one has a Jaguar. So it stood out to me.

The reason I list the Lexus is because I love Japanese cars, however, I think the Nissan GTR is too far out of my reach now. I'm just looking to spend approximately in the $45-55K price range.

However, the factor I may need some help with is also the car insurance and maintenance cost or impressions. I know nothing about Jaguar maintenance costs or insurance for instance.

SliChillax

Totally disagree. The M3/4 sounds like absolute dogshit. I can't think of a less appealing sportscar exhaust note. Even the 718 exhaust, at least it's just boring, not actively shit like the BMW.

Have you heard the 2015 model in person? They have an upgraded exhaust system I thought it sounded great. Definitely not as bad as the Boxster. Also with the optional M performance exhaust it sounds amazing as well.
https://youtu.be/O0_0F15ZWSc?t=70

Thanks for your input. I agree with much of what you say. I think I only listed Mercedes because of the prestige the name brings. Where I live, everyone really just looks at 2 cars: BMW and Mercedes. It doesn't even matter what model and it seems that not many know much about cars. So the prestige factor is something I am consider even if I don't like most Mercedes models and their interiors (great functionality and options, but cluttered, in my opinion).

I've never driven a Tesla but I've sat in one at a showroom, but it's also a big and fancy car that people love in my area.

The reason why I listed Jaguar is because I've always liked the designs over the last few years I've seen them on the road or at client sites. Even the newer XE design is less assertive than the XF and sportier models, it still looks really nice to me. But the biggest factor is that when I walk around my company parking lot, everyone has Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, VW, Nissan, Tesla, etc. but no one has a Jaguar. So it stood out to me.

The reason I list the Lexus is because I love Japanese cars, however, I think the Nissan GTR is too far out of my reach now. I'm just looking to spend approximately in the $45-55K price range.

However, the factor I may need some help with is also the car insurance and maintenance cost or impressions. I know nothing about Jaguar maintenance costs or insurance for instance.

I don't know much about the Lexus other than they're reliable. I would not choose the Audi as it is too boring looking for me and I'm a fan of rear wheel drive cars. So if it was my money I would buy the one I like more in terms of looks and interior, it would be a tough choice between the 340i and the XE S. It all comes down to personal preference or what you value more in a car, looks, fuel economy, reliability, interior quality, speed etc.

Falch

So serious question and advice/suggestions/impressions are welcome. I'm thinking of getting a new car. But I'm having trouble deciding between these new 2016 (or latest) models in the US:

BMW 340i
Jaguar XE Premium
Mercedes C Class (250)
Audi A4
Lexus IS 350

I don't know much about cars but I'd like a nice car to drive and take to work. Fuel efficiency and costs for insurance and maintenance is also something I would like to consider but I can't find much info on Jaguar maintenance costs or insurance costs compared to BMW or Mercedes. I am also working at a tech company so everyone on my team has either a BMW or Mercedes. I've traditionally always preferred Japanese and family cars (my family is all Camry from various years). But since the Nissan GTR is out of my price range I figure I'd consider the above.

Thanks for all the help.

Have you considered the Infinity Q50?

Have you heard the 2015 model in person? They have an upgraded exhaust system I thought it sounded great. Definitely not as bad as the Boxster. Also with the optional M performance exhaust it sounds amazing as well.
https://youtu.be/O0_0F15ZWSc?t=70

Nope. Nope nope nope. It reminds me of a larger civic with an e-bay muffler being driven by a teenage boy with a sideways hat. It actually manages to sound even worse under acceleration.

Same car: https://youtu.be/2002zuUXYiY?t=210

It just blats so badly. When you hit the gas the car releases one long, enormous, ass-clapping fart. The 718 actually has the advantage because it's simply boring, not aggressively pounding your ear with dicks.

Yes I'm a Porsche fanboy, but I've hated the F8x engine since it debuted. I use the word "hate" very sparingly, but I hate that motor.

I actually really like the C class interior, but Mercedes' weird wannabe iDrive knob with the touch pad stuck on top of it is truly baffling. The thing is just worse than iDrive in every way (but still better than pretty much any touchscreen).

SliChillax

Nope. Nope nope nope. It reminds me of a larger civic with an e-bay muffler being driven by a teenage boy with a sideways hat. It actually manages to sound even worse under acceleration.

Same car: https://youtu.be/2002zuUXYiY?t=210

It just blats so badly. When you hit the gas the car releases one long, enormous, ass-clapping fart. The 718 actually has the advantage because it's simply boring, not aggressively pounding your ear with dicks.

Yes I'm a Porsche fanboy, but I've hated the F8x engine since it debuted. I use the word "hate" very sparingly, but I hate that motor.

You cannot hate the S55 engine, that is just plain dumb. You can hate the noise but not the engine. Massive amounts of torque and power, great fuel economy, great throttle response. When I drove the new M4 it was pure driving bliss and the noise didn't detract from the experience, not one bit. Also I will ask you to reserve judgement until you hear the newer models in person as the sound obviously enough cannot be judged from a YouTube video.

I actually really like the C class interior, but Mercedes' weird wannabe iDrive knob with the touch pad stuck on top of it is truly baffling. The thing is just worse than iDrive in every way (but still better than pretty much any touchscreen).

I also like their interiors except for what you said, totally ruins it. Also the C class suffers from too much plastic materials, it was disappointing that the interior felt cheap once you were actually inside touching stuff. Looks great in pictures though. BMWs iDrive is great (if you're talking about the new one). Very fast, user interface looks great and very easy to navigate. Is it that hard to just copy them?

You cannot hate the S55 engine, that is just plain dumb. You can hate the noise but not the engine. Massive amounts of torque and power, great fuel economy, great throttle response. When I drove the new M4 it was pure driving bliss and the noise didn't detract from the experience, not one bit. Also I will ask you to reserve judgement until you hear the newer models in person as the sound obviously enough cannot be judged from a YouTube video.

I've heard them on track, but not sure if I've heard the '15. And okay so I can't hate the engine as a whole, but I can hate the exhaust noise, big whoop; to me a huge part of the driving experience is the exhaust, and that's where the F8x fails and fails hard (the 718 fails as well it seems just not so spectacularly).

AlphaSnake

Let me guess, you don't get these headlights in the US do you? Makes the car look more fresh and different than the old XF.
NY7.jpg

We do, actually. I just don't like them in person. They remind me of old-school halogen housings. I prefer the look of a bi-xenon projector, it looks meaner - like an eye. I also still think the last gen XF has one of the most elegant and beautiful front ends of any sedan ever - and the standard headlights preserve that look.

I also like their interiors except for what you said, totally ruins it. Also the C class suffers from too much plastic materials, it was disappointing that the interior felt cheap once you were actually inside touching stuff. Looks great in pictures though. BMWs iDrive is great (if you're talking about the new one). Very fast, user interface looks great and very easy to navigate. Is it that hard to just copy them?
When did they change it? I have a '16 X3, and mine has the touch pad on the knob (again better than Benz's dumb touch thing), so I assume that's it? It certainly looks like the same one in the higher-end BMWs, at least.

To Mercedes' credit, though--and I assume they have to go with their weird design to avoid infringing on BMW's patents--their solution is still better than touchscreens. When I bought my car, I also test drove the RDX, and that touch interface was shit: laggy, unintuitive, and ugly. It was almost an instant deal breaker.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Have you considered the Infinity Q50?

This.

I kept vacillating between that, the C (I like the looks and cabin noise) and ultimately the Infiniti just kept winning the looks, engine, power and price equation. And is very reliable compared to the Euros in that list. However, I may end up with a QX50, depending on how they review in June.

SliChillax

When did they change it? I have a '16 X3, and mine has the touch pad on the knob (again better than Benz's dumb touch thing), so I assume that's it? It certainly looks like the same one in the higher-end BMWs, at least.

To Mercedes' credit, though--and I assume they have to go with their weird design to avoid infringing on BMW's patents--their solution is still better than touchscreens. When I bought my car, I also test drove the RDX, and that touch interface was shit: laggy, unintuitive, and ugly. It was almost an instant deal breaker.

Yeah that's still it, just a bit faster in the newer models. The new 7 series has an even newer one which is great.

AlphaSnake

BMW 340i
Jaguar XE Premium
Mercedes C Class (250)
Audi A4
Lexus IS 350

Thanks for all the help.

-Jaguar XE by a fucking landslide. The reviews and all critics have agreed, it obliterates the BMW in every category.

-Mercedes C300 is a slow poke, a bit overpriced, but beautiful inside and out.

-The Audi A4 is going through a transition phase, and new models have not arrived yet - but early reviews have been mediocre. Very mediocre.

-The Lexus is outdated, from transmission to engine. It's archaic and rather fugly all around. Handles well, but that's about it.

-The BMW, like I said gets crushed by the Jaguar. The 340i is punchier than the 335i, but handling is still lackluster, steering is still numb, and the car is extremely expensive (you can option these out to over $60K...which is M3 money).

Don't overlook the Infiniti Q50 Sport or Red Sport 400 which will arrive in late March.

SliChillax

-Jaguar XE by a fucking landslide. The reviews and all critics have agreed, it obliterates the BMW in every category.

-Mercedes C300 is a slow poke, a bit overpriced, but beautiful inside and out.

-The Audi A4 is going through a transition phase, and new models have not arrived yet - but early reviews have been mediocre. Very mediocre.

-The Lexus is outdated, from transmission to engine. It's archaic and rather fugly all around. Handles well, but that's about it.

-The BMW, like I said gets crushed by the Jaguar. The 340i is punchier than the 335i, but handling is still lackluster, steering is still numb, and the car is extremely expensive (you can option these out to over $60K...which is M3 money).

Don't overlook the Infiniti Q50 Sport or Red Sport 400 which will arrive in late March.

Except for the S version having horrible fuel consumption compared to the 340i. But yeah the integral link suspension in the XE is amazing. I can't wait to see the SVR version if they ever make it. They have to, right? They need to challenge the M3 and M4. I'm currently assigned to make a facelift of the XE and also make it a coupe. Judging by how close my uni is to Jaguar I don't think it's a coincidence. We will see a coupe and SVR version soon.

On another note, jesus christ this thing is flawless
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1221133

Ettie

Do you guys think the new Elise that's supposedly in development has a real shot at making it to the US?

Does it hinge on the success of their upcoming mass market efforts?

Thanks for everyone's reply so far. I'll look into the Infinity Q50 later tonight when I get home.

Jaguar is looking pretty good. It isn't out yet in the US, so I'm considering reserve it, but I'd like to see it or test drive it if possible, too.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for everyone's reply so far. I'll look into the Infinity Q50 later tonight when I get home.

Jaguar is looking pretty good. It isn't out yet in the US, so I'm considering reserve it, but I'd like to see it or test drive it if possible, too.
Keep in mind they're updating the engine with a 300hp and 400hp TT V6, which is not yet present on their info page for it.
Would that be such a terrible world?

And I still think DCTs ruin exhaust notes under acceleration. When the rpms drop naturally off throttle it really brings the exhaust note to life, and you lose that with a DCT.
Of course not. I was attempting to compare/contrast the M4 with something that is more up your alley. From that perspective, your position is very understandable.

FStop7

Banned
If I had crazy money I would take the S85 V10 engine only, contact Gintani which is currently making the V10 work with the DCT transmission from the E92 M3 (transmission fits like a glove with the engine they just need to properly code it), get the engine size 5.7 and then put it in any M car which isn't an E60. .

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I need to look into this ASAP. Gintani's just a few miles away.

If I could use DCT with in my M6... that'd be a big deal

Those lines within the openings of the 718 boxster make it look like the mid-refresh 1st gen Boxster, which was a super ugly car

I can't help but wonder after the 981 performed SO well if Porsche hasn't intentionally fucked it up a bit in order to push the enthusiasts back toward the 911.

SliChillax

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I need to look into this ASAP. Gintani's just a few miles away.

If I could use DCT with in my M6... that'd be a big deal

Those lines within the openings of the 718 boxster make it look like the mid-refresh 1st gen Boxster, which was a super ugly car

I can't help but wonder after the 981 performed SO well if Porsche hasn't intentionally fucked it up a bit in order to push the enthusiasts back toward the 911.

Here's the thread, a russian guy owns the car but the project is still not finished.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...powered-gintani-most-powerfull-bmw-world.html

Ty4on

I like the look of it. I wouldn't call it better or worse looking than the outgoing model, just different. The sound, though. Why couldn't they have just gone with a smaller six? So depressing.

More cylinders, more friction :/

500cc per cylinder seems to be a common cut off point apart from the smallest engines nowadays. I don't think any were ever sold in the states, but BMW even made some 2l straight sixes.

I lived in the States for 20 years now. Here's the top three problems with US auto enthusiasts:

3. Meaningless reverse order motorsport events where the first race of the season is more important than the last.
2. Over-adulation of horsepower over any other aspect, at the cost of quality and handling.
1. Wagons are inherently bad.

Wagons (or Shooting Brakes/Estates as they should be called to help get rid of the stigma) are amazing. American resistance to them is based on GM/Chrysler abominations from the sixties, seventies and eighties. GET OVER IT.

A gentleman needs a shooting brake for his crops, shotguns and elaborately-tipped walking canes. He also needs to go at 180mph to his lodge in Scotland.

Absolutely agree. We need more longroofs in America. Given my general taste for unobtainable JDM metal what I really want is a Crown wagon or a Stagea, but the Europeans always did it best anyway.

But as for why wagons aren't popular in America, I think part of it has to be a cyclical thing where every generation hates the family cars they were driven around in as a kid. My dad and his siblings were packed into the back of a station wagon for several cross country trips, and he would never think about buying one. Minivans were killed by crossovers right around when all the kids in my generation who were driven around in the first minivans started coming of age. In 20 years crossovers will probably be uncool.

But... I say cyclical, but I'm not really see it cycling back to wagons being cool. Too bad, I hope it does soon.

More cylinders, more friction :/

500cc per cylinder seems to be a common cut off point apart from the smallest engines nowadays. I don't think any were ever sold in the states, but BMW even made some 2l straight sixes.

I know. I'm just upset. :(

And the original 911 flat six was a 2L as well, I think. The old small displacement engines with too many cylinders were always pretty cool.

But as for why wagons aren't popular in America, I think part of it has to be a cyclical thing where every generation hates the family cars they were driven around in as a kid. My dad and his siblings were packed into the back of a station wagon for several cross country trips, and he would never think about buying one. Minivans were killed by crossovers right around when all the kids in my generation who were driven around in the first minivans started coming of age. In 20 years crossovers will probably be uncool.

I dunno, I think minivans were uncool right from day one. They say the same thing about you that wearing sweatpants in public says: "I've given up."

AlphaSnake

Except for the S version having horrible fuel consumption compared to the 340i. But yeah the integral link suspension in the XE is amazing. I can't wait to see the SVR version if they ever make it. They have to, right? They need to challenge the M3 and M4. I'm currently assigned to make a facelift of the XE and also make it a coupe. Judging by how close my uni is to Jaguar I don't think it's a coincidence. We will see a coupe and SVR version soon.

Oy. There will be a hopped up version of the XE-S. With Infiniti releasing a 400HP Twin Turbo Q50, I expect that supercharged 3.0 to be cranked up and massaged to deliver 400HP itself soon enough. A 5.0L SVR model would be heavenly, but won't happen until the XF gets it first.

Are you doing this assignment as a school project of some sort btw? That's crazy. Is your uni near Coventry?

The Jag will be out in the US in May. The 2016 Infiniti will be March. Right now the website for Infiniti still displays 2015 models.

SliChillax

Oy. There will be a hopped up version of the XE-S. With Infiniti releasing a 400HP Twin Turbo Q50, I expect that supercharged 3.0 to be cranked up and massaged to deliver 400HP itself soon enough. A 5.0L SVR model would be heavenly, but won't happen until the XF gets it first.

Are you doing this assignment as a school project of some sort btw? That's crazy. Is your uni near Coventry?

It's one of my three assignments for this term, this is my first year. The uni is in Coventry, Coventry University.

As for the 5.0 XE, I don't think it will happen unless they heavily detune the engine. It would also make the car too nose heavy, same problem the F-Type R and SVR have. They either have another engine in the works or will pump up the 3.0 supercharged engine to somewhere near 450hp.

ascii42

Awesome. That should be a lot of fun.

I dunno, I think minivans were uncool right from day one. They say the same thing about you that wearing sweatpants in public says: "I've given up."

Yeah, but any time I've been in a 3 row crossover all I can think is that it's basically a minivan minus the usefulness of sliding doors. Particularly the Chevy Traverse. Plus, sliding doors=stupid kids won't hit my car with the door.

Anion

New video of the 718 Boxster S.

That rear Porsche badging in chrome looks ostentatious and has to go or at least be available in flat black.

Front end looks like a generic Chinese ripoff of the old one. Like if Rockstar had to model a Porsche for GTA.

And the flat four sounds like garbage compared to the N/A six.

Here's the 981 Boxster GTS for comparison

All of this while pricing it $6K higher than the outgoing model. That performance better be worth it.
I actually like the new steering wheel. The rest of it not so much. The current gen looks to be my favorite actually. The new DRLs are like out of place and the Porsche lettering seems off. I'm sure they will allow for a delete or somethings but it seems like a step back in a few ways. Hopefully it actually looks amazing in person though.

I know the performance is worth it, but that $6k jump is just really...something

Edit: if the DRLs weren't there or lowered to mesh with the intakes, I think it would look so much better

There is one minivan that was cool as fnck though... and no it's not the Samba from VW.

I'm talking about the Previa of course:

Mid-engined RWD or AWD, with a stick shift and a supercharger.

I kinda want one for shits and giggles lol.

Hopefully he brings the car to Cars & Coffee tomorrow. The dealer he bought it from hosts the Dallas C&C, but it is gonna be cold tomorrow so I'm not even sure if there's lots of cars out there. I'm just there to work on my car photography skills lol.

SliChillax

There is one minivan that was cool as fnck though... and no it's not the Samba from VW.

I'm talking about the Previa of course:

Mid-engined RWD or AWD, with a stick shift and a supercharger.

I kinda want one for shits and giggles lol.

Hopefully he brings the car to Cars & Coffee tomorrow. The dealer he bought it from hosts the Dallas C&C, but it is gonna be cold tomorrow so I'm not even sure if there's lots of cars out there. I'm just there to work on my car photography skills lol.

So jealous of the car scene in California, it's like all the cool stuff and people are in the same place.

nib95

Banned

BMW 340i
Jaguar XE Premium
Mercedes C Class (250)
Audi A4
Lexus IS 350

Thanks for all the help.

I'd be careful about some of the advice you get in this thread regarding cars and such. Some are highly impartial to specific brands, or the cars they own, and often throw facts, figures, data, professional reviews, reports etc to the wind, in order to champion pre determined preferences. It's almost like console fanboy wars at times. I've also learnt that when some use terms like "garbage" or "trash" to describe cars, engines, brands etc that are otherwise globally revered or commended, you're sometimes best just ignoring such opinions altogether, as it's often little more than unhelpful hyperbole.

Regarding the cars you've chosen, luckily they're very popular choices which have tonnes of comparisons already made. These are the top ones on Google and YouTube, nothing cherry picked, just the popular one's that come up first, in the order they did for me. Please be aware, they may not all line up with your specic engine options. You might as well also search out some more for your own.

1. TopGear | Diesel triple test: Jaguar XE vs Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series
Conclusion.
TopGear said:
The BMW 320d remains objectively the best car in this class. Is it the one I’d have? It’s the first one I’d recommend, if that isn’t too much of a cop-out, the car with the fewest weaknesses.

But both the Merc and Jag are cooler objects, sleeker of line and image, strong enough to challenge all comers, and with their own distinct attributes. The same, it seems, applies to the new Audi A4 as well. Wow, where would that slot into a final line-up that reads BMW, Jaguar then Mercedes?

2. AutoTrader | BMW 3 Series vs Jaguar XE vs Mercedes C-Class
Conclusion.
The BMW 3 Series wins out of the three, Jaguar in second place, Mercedes in third. For the reasons why, just watch the video.

3. AutoExpress | BMW 3 Series vs Jaguar XE
Conclusion.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-series/92761/bmw-3-series-vs-jaguar-xe
AutoExpress said:
This is the closest road test verdict of 2015, but the XE takes the victory by the very narrowest of margins. It’s not quite as good to drive as the refreshed BMW and it’s not quite as roomy, but the characterful Jaguar’s sleek looks, luxurious interior, top-notch refinement, long equipment list and lower running costs are hard to ignore

4. WhatCar | Group test - BMW 3 Series vs Jaguar XE vs VW Passat
Conclusion.
WhatCar said:
The 3 Series is the best all-rounder. It’s great to drive, reasonably practical and smarter inside than it’s ever been. We’d recommend you avoid adding 19in alloys and any of the optional steering systems, but otherwise it’s a very fine executive saloon and the deserving winner here.

5. CarAdvice | BMW 330i v Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport v Lexus IS200t F Sport v Mercedes C250 Comparison Review
Conclusion.
BMW 3 Series takes first place, Mercedes second, Jag third. Read article for comprehensive comparison.

6. AutoMoto | 2016 Mercedes C 250 vs BMW 330i vs Lexus IS200t vs Jaguar XE R-Sport
Conclusion.
Lexus wins. In order of their preferences, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW and finally Jaguar. Watch the video for a better breakdown.

----

Personal opinions.

Your car selection options closely mirror some of my own from a few months back. In the end, a few of the cars I narrowed it down to were the 4 Series Gran Coupe, 3 Series and the Jaguar XE. I actually test drove and compared all of them (though ended up with something completely different in the 3 Series GT M Sport, which I'd barely heard of before testing it at the garage).

Seeing as how the 4 Series GC nor 3 Series GT are in your list of choices, here's how I'd personally stack the final two that made both of our shortlists, based on my personal experiences.

Aesthetics - XE > 3 Series
Just find the XE looks a little sleeker and more sophisticated, though the 3 Series M Sport trim still looks very nice. The Jag's interior also looks a bit more luxurious, futuristic and less clinical than the BMW's more industrial look.

Interior - 3 Series > XE
Whilst I did think the XE's interior looked better, the BMW's was imo more practical and efficient. The cabin is roomier, there's more rear headroom and leg space in the 3 Series (the top of my hair actually touches the inner roof underlay of the XE whilst sat in the rear seats, and I'm only 5ft 10 and a half). Visibility from the rear windscreen is also better in the BMW, and the LCD screen and instruments are better positioned too.

Ride - 3 Series > XE
The XE was a little nippier and sharper around corners, but I felt the BMW offered not only better feedback of the road, but a better balance between comfort and sportiness. The XE is a little stiffer and less forgiving, and doesn't eat up the road as well.

Gearbox - 3 Series > Jaguar XE
Even though both are brilliant and completely comparable (in-fact they might even be the same hardware wise), I still found BMW's set up was a bit more efficient and clever. The Jag's upshifts can pause a tiny bit longer before the next shift than the Beemer's, which feels more instantaneous in comparison.

Practicality - 3 Series > XE
This goes back to the roomier cabin of the 3 Series, on top of which it has the bigger boot as well, at 480 litres vs the XE's 455 litres. Also touched upon, it has a more comfortable overall ride too.

Engine - Depends
With the two diesel versions I tested, the BMW was quicker and got better mpg, but I'm not entirely sure how the US petrol models stack up. Based off of a quick googling, the 340i does 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds, and the XE 35t in 5.1 seconds. The 340i's mpg is 22/33, and the Jag's is yet to be announced.

Conclusion

If I had to choose between the two cars, in all honesty whilst I'd probably prefer the 3 Series (purely for practicality reasons), I'd actually just go with whatever was cheaper, or whoever offered me the best deal. They're both excellent, but as I said before, I ended up settling for the 3 Series GT M Sport in the end, and were I to pick a less practical option in this sort of price range, it would have likely been the 4 Series Gran Coupe instead of the 3 Series or XE. If I did go 3 Series, I would personally also save myself the money and go 328i instead of 340i, but obviously that's a personal thing.

Ultimately, the final advice I'd give is for you to just head to the garages and test drive all the cars you've shortlisted, however time consuming it may be. There is literally no better way to gauge your own preferences than that. Test them how you'd use them, e.g. the local routes, roads etc you use most, and also take along those who are likely to be the future passengers in your vehicle, whether in the rear or whatever, to gauge their thoughts as well (on rear comfort, space etc). The Garages might try to entice you to buy on the day with deals etc, but I'd hold out until you've test driven all your faves.

AlphaSnake

Is the coupe also out in March? I want to test drive the 400hp TT!

Q60 Coupe isn't due until Summer unfortunately. :(

It's one of my three assignments for this term, this is my first year. The uni is in Coventry, Coventry University.

As for the 5.0 XE, I don't think it will happen unless they heavily detune the engine. It would also make the car too nose heavy, same problem the F-Type R and SVR have. They either have another engine in the works or will pump up the 3.0 supercharged engine to somewhere near 450hp.

The thing is that the weight difference between the 3.0 and 5.0 is almost negligible - only 45lbs. The two engines are identical, the 3.0 even has the space where the two extra 'cylinders' go, they're just not machined, cut, and ported for hardware to actually go there - it's basically just blank space. So it's not like the BMW S65 and S85 motors where BMW literally just lopped off a pair of cylinders - in the Jag's case, the 3.0L blocks are just not milled to house 8.

Top Bottom