• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

You pay for different things in each car. Yeah so what if the CX5 has a better interior, does it also handle as well or go as fast? No, so you shouldn't compare it. Can it be better? Yes. Is it scandalous for what the car is? No.

You're trying to conflate the interior and performance capabilities when that's not what I'm talking about at all.

Yes we know it performs fncking amazing, but so what if it can't even have a modicum of luxury like how a luxury car is supposed to be?

If that exact car I sat in was $36K, like the one Jalopnik drove 2 years ago, then I wouldn't be here ranting against it. Hell, I probably would've taken a brochure home and talked to one of their sales rep about it, but at $44K? Yeah no.

Look I'm all for fantastic performance and spartan interiors, otherwise I wouldn't be driving a Miata after all, but that price point with a shitty interior? I can hear Infiniti's Q60 calling my name.

SliChillax

You're trying to conflate the interior and performance capabilities when that's not what I'm talking about at all.

Yes we know it performs fncking amazing, but so what if it can't even have a modicum of luxury like how a luxury car is supposed to be?

If that exact car I sat in was $36K, like the one Jalopnik drove 2 years ago, then I wouldn't be here ranting against it. Hell, I probably would've taken a brochure home and talked to one of their sales rep about it, but at $44K? Yeah no.

Look I'm all for fantastic performance and spartan interiors, otherwise I wouldn't be driving a Miata after all, but that price point with a shitty interior? I can hear Infiniti's Q60 calling my name.
I'm trying to justify the price with the overall package that the car offers, not just interior. Shouldn't you be blaming the dealer for the high price? If Jalopnik got a 228i for 36K then I don't see a problem with the car. I was just going to mention, isn't 44K M235i money? 228 starts at 33K meanwhile the M235i starts at 44k according to BMW's website. The one you linked didn't even have lot's of options, like the big screen for example which that one had the funny small looking idrive.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I'm actually looking to buy a Jaguar XE 35t (S) R-Sport this year, but in a very specific configuration. Basically, I want it in blue (Dark Sapphire or Bluefire, have to see it in person first to make the choice) and the only extra option I want is the Adaptive Dynamics. The Tech Package is interesting, but I'd have to see it in person to see if it's worth it.

Here's a pdf of the exact configuration: Link

Seeing as how you have experience with Jag dealers, how did you go about getting your order? Is it just you tell them what you want, and they search for an exact (or close enough) match from other dealers and then deliver you that car, or will they actually "build" your spec?

How does this affect your price? Is the sticker cheaper because you don't have dealer fees? I don't want to have to maneuver around options I don't want on the car that only serve to drive the price up.

Very easy. Whatever you configure online you can reserve it online with a $500 deposit (put this on your CC so that if something goes wrong during the deal, and they BS you with a refund, you can chargeback immediately). Or you can print your config, walk into the dealer, agree on a sale price, leave the deposit (again, CC only!) and they will literally have that exact car built. It takes about 2 months or so. They usually find a car in production that is destined to be a 35t-R that is currently being built. They'll tag it as theirs, intercept it, reconfigure and confirm the color to be yours, and then the options is the easy stuff as it's all added in last and then programmed.

My XF will take about 2 months.

Research the dealer you visit and find the best/most accommodating sales rep there. Dealer Rater is the best site for that kind of stuff, imo.

Where's your nearest Jag dealer?

AlphaSnake

so only the XE-S gets the supercharged V6?

Yes, but it starts at a meager $41.7K ($40K invoice). Heated seats, rearview camera, 380W Meridian Audio (which is AMAZING), folding seats, etc are standard. All it needs are two options:

Vision Pkg $2300: Includes adaptive bi-xenons that curve, LED DRLs, backup sensors + front parking sensors, auto high beam assist for very dark roads, blindspot monitoring system, and reverse traffic detection (this will hit the brakes if it detects a car, obstacle, or moving pedestrian behind you).

Navigation + Jaguar InControl Apps: $500

Total MSRP is: $45,500. Invoice is $43,900.

A base BMW 340i starts at $46,000. Wiht the equivalent options it would MSRP at $51,550. Invoice should be $49,500. Almost $6K more expensive.

The Jag is simply an incredible bargain without any real compromise.

Yes, but it starts at a meager $41.7K ($40K invoice). Heated seats, rearview camera, 380W Meridian Audio (which is AMAZING), folding seats, etc are standard.

I just want to point out that in the Year Of Our Lord, 2016, nearly none of the Jag's competitors come with a rear camera standard.

Everything Honda sells in America has a backup camera standard. Why can't the IS, 3-series, etc. have them?

AlphaSnake

I just want to point out that in the Year Of Our Lord, 2016, nearly none of the Jag's competitors come with a rear camera standard.

Everything Honda sells in America has a backup camera standard. Why can't the IS, 3-series, etc. have them?

I'm pretty sure the Q50 does. But that's it. There are so many cheapo cars out there that have them standard (Nissans, Hondas, and Toyotas) that it's embarrassing when luxury cars don't. Especially as you crest the $50K mark.

I'm pretty sure the Q50 does. But that's it. There are so many cheapo cars out there that have them standard (Nissans, Hondas, and Toyotas) that it's embarrassing when luxury cars don't. Especially as you crest the $50K mark.
I'm sure it's so they can throw it into some "package," like Technology Package or Driver Assist Package or whatever. Mercedes lets you add it a la carte, at least, I guess.

Being a car nut in Australia is dire. The strong policing, the poor roads and most of all, the ridiculous prices (with some exceptions like the Focus RS - sold out , and the Mustang V8 - sold out).

Suddenly there was an alignment of the planets and I worked out within a few hours the car that I'm going to replace my current car (a boring passat family wagon) with.

I'm going to go full bogan and get a Chev SS Holden SS-V Redline, manual edition.

At about 55k aussie dollars there is nothing else like it here for the money, and barely nothing else if you want to spend silly money - since big capacity V8s have been replaced by blown cars, and manuals have been replaced with sequential gearboxes. It isn't going to worry a Megane or an RS3 on a track, but I'll be having as much fun and can back off to look almost as harmless as a camry.

The planets that have aligned are: 1. the death of the australian car industry (which means Holden have basically said f**k it and really just gone all out on the latest iteration) 2. the price of petrol now is below $1 a liter which is about $2.50 US a gallon so it isn't painful to fill it up, and 3. the collapse of the australian dollar has made it maybe even cheaper than the Chev SS in the USA that it is imported under.

So now I'm going to make my kids cry with fear from that bi-modal exhaust and old C63 AMG sound. I can't wait.

(and - the other win is that unlike a highly stressed euro performance rocket, the LS3 is so damn lazy you can spend a bit more any time you are bored and get _you name it_ extra hp).

Tradies ferrari - here I come.

I can't think of a downside other than a petrol price rise back to infinity.
Screw the neighbours in their SUVs and imports and brand snobbery.

I'm trying to justify the price with the overall package that the car offers, not just interior. Shouldn't you be blaming the dealer for the high price? If Jalopnik got a 228i for 36K then I don't see a problem with the car. I was just going to mention, isn't 44K M235i money? 228 starts at 33K meanwhile the M235i starts at 44k according to BMW's website. The one you linked didn't even have lot's of options, like the big screen for example which that one had the funny small looking idrive.

Well, if you read the posts after yours you'll see that it's totally worth the "outrage" lolol.

You can try and justify the overall package, but clearly it's a bullshit proposition when competitors and even BMW themselves can actually do so much better.

Anion

Probably late to this but I just realized how many interior components Infiniti shares with Mercedez. Basically they use the same key design, gauge cluster is similar only with different silver background and font for the A class but they use the same small screen in the middle with the same UI, the headlights switch on the right is the same, buttons on the door are the same,same buttons on the steering wheel, same door handle and electric seat buttons, same AC controls, the row of buttons where you find the heated seats and hazard lights are the same, the thing whatever you call it where the gear level is looks the same. What else do they share apart from some of the engines?
Infiniti-Q30-interior-steering-wheel-dashboard-official-image.jpg

merc_a45amg_interior_0.jpg

They have changed up the interior a bit for the 2015 model
New steering wheels and a few changes in the plastics

Smokey

What are some good forums for pics of people's cars/garages? i love looking at stuff like that. Kind of like our gaming setup thread here.

nib95

Banned

It's pretty shitty tbh. Hopefully more manufacturers make them free in the next batch of major new refreshes or something.

One thing I will say is that the 'as standard' reverse camera's in a lot of these cars (Honda, Kia etc) aren't the best in quality, especially in low light where they have quite poor light sensitivity and offer a grainy and not clear image. Even the paid ones in cars like Hyundai etc are a bit pants. At night it's like you're watching a VHS or potato cam. Comparatively, the ones in the Beemers, Mercs etc tend to be far higher quality, with better low light performance, brightness and overall clarity, presumably because the cameras have better internal sensors. I know that's little consolation because, well...you're paying for them, but it's something.

Doesn't beat this dudes commitment. Lol.

Man Loves Porsche So Much He Builds House Around It

ascii42

Especially since all cars are going to require them in a couple years.

who cares if some include it standard when the standard they include is crap.
compared to the upgraded ones from the luxury makers, the included backup cameras on the cheaper cars are bad with a small screen.

AlphaSnake

It's pretty shitty tbh. Hopefully more manufacturers make them free in the next batch of major new refreshes or something.

One thing I will say is that the 'as standard' reverse camera's in a lot of these cars (Honda, Kia etc) aren't the best in quality, especially in low light where they have quite poor light sensitivity and offer a grainy and not clear image. Even the paid ones in cars like Hyundai etc are a bit pants. At night it's like you're watching a VHS or potato cam. Comparatively, the ones in the Beemers, Mercs etc tend to be far higher quality, with better low light performance, brightness and overall clarity, presumably because the cameras have better internal sensors. I know that's little consolation because, well...you're paying for them, but it's something.

Doesn't beat this dudes commitment. Lol.

Man Loves Porsche So Much He Builds House Around It

Backup cameras in the current Altimas are sooooooooooo bad at night time, that it's basically an 'object' detection camera (which is bizarre because in 2012 they were great). Where as in my M56S, it's like a night-vision camera it's so bright.

AlphaSnake

I'm sure it's so they can throw it into some "package," like Technology Package or Driver Assist Package or whatever. Mercedes lets you add it a la carte, at least, I guess.

Acura also includes backup cameras as standard on the TLX, I believe. Which makes sense, being that Honda has it standard virtually across the whole line up.

Fuck that thread for making me feel like a dirty pleb.

80-image_e02811a6bbdaaf496ffb4779edc48a7d4ab772b5.jpeg
All car forums are like that, in my experience. When I got my very first car, a 2001 Nissan Sentra, I signed up for the B15Sentra forum and felt like an ass, reading about how other people would clay bar and detail their cars everyday, rain, sleet, or snow.

F that.

FStop7

Banned
That guy Shmeee on Youtube posted a vid of his friend taking delivery of a TdF. I'm not crazy about its looks vs. the F12 but dear sweet baby Jesus it may be the best sounding car ever made.

That guy Shmeee on Youtube posted a vid of his friend taking delivery of a TdF. I'm not crazy about its looks vs. the F12 but dear sweet baby Jesus it may be the best sounding car ever made.

Yeah, can we stop it with the massive splitters, strakes and aerofoils up front? That shit looks ridiculous and everybody knows you're not using that aero to its potential on track (if the car ever even makes it to a track).

So my car is in the shop for insurance work and I get a rental car. It's a recent Jetta and the wipers stop at a weird position. I can't put up one of the wipers cause the hood is blocking it. I try to get it to stop at a different position but could so I was just like "fuck it it's not my ride" and just walk away.

ameratsu

I don't know how you guys deal with depreciation. I've looked at projected depreciation for a few different new cars i'm interested in, and most 2013 model cars bought today are slated to lose about 2k/year for the next 5 years.

I don't know how you guys deal with depreciation. I've looked at projected depreciation for a few different new cars i'm interested in, and most 2013 model cars bought today are slated to lose about 2k/year for the next 5 years.

Like this:
AdiBPrO.jpg

The real answer is to not buy new unless you a) plan on having the car a long time anyway and/or b) really, really want one and dgaf about losing money on depreciation.

I've owned 7 cars in 9 years and only one has been new, because it's something I plan on running into the ground / giving to my as-of-yet-to-be-born children when they turn 16.

We only buy new because we don't like surprises and on average we hold onto cars for some time (and will be passing them onto the kids in a few years when they start to drive.) My FR-S has lost $6000 in the nine months I've owned it. It's disconcerting but I knew about the poor resale going in.

Some cars in some regions are apparently depreciation-proof. Try buying a two or three year old WRX or STI in the PNW; you might as well buy new.

ameratsu

Some cars in some regions are apparently depreciation-proof. Try buying a two or three year old WRX or STI in the PNW; you might as well buy new.

This is also the case in Western Canada for WRXes and STIs. Perhaps the oil industry crash will bring used prices back down to sane levels.

Bandit1

That's easy, buy a classic. They usually appreciate :p

My FR-S has lost $6000 in the nine months I've owned it. It's disconcerting but I knew about the poor resale going in.

Jesus fnck.

My Miata was $30K in 2006, I got it for $12K in 2012 and now it's current value is around $6-8K.

I've had too much fun in the Miata though so my heart doesn't hurt that much everytime I see it's value dropping.

But $6K in nine months? Good grief.

Buy a Tacoma or a Jeep Wrangler if your obsessed with depreciation.

TylerD

A Faster Horse, a documentary about the development of the new Mustang and the history is on Netflix. I only watched the first 30 mins but will finish the rest at lunch today. Really enjoying it so far, especially the behind the scenes engineering vs design team stuff on the development and the complexity of it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mloeFzMPn64

We only buy new because we don't like surprises and on average we hold onto cars for some time (and will be passing them onto the kids in a few years when they start to drive.) My FR-S has lost $6000 in the nine months I've owned it. It's disconcerting but I knew about the poor resale going in.

That number seems off. Are you including the taxes and interest in there as well? Cause I have my number at 8.5k in 2.5 years.

SummitAve

Banned
All car forums are like that, in my experience. When I got my very first car, a 2001 Nissan Sentra, I signed up for the B15Sentra forum and felt like an ass, reading about how other people would clay bar and detail their cars everyday, rain, sleet, or snow.

F that.

I always laugh at the people on the Miata forum I visit who won't even let their cars see rain... It depends on the person and the car, but at some point a garage queen just becomes the antithesis of everything enjoyable about cars and mechanics.

AlphaSnake

Corporate rates are only better at the most expensive times of year in my experience. I could find cheaper rates online, even from the same brand, 70% of the time traveling for work.

Sixt gave me an E class Mercedes once in Munich when I booked a Focus. I'll always like them for that.

So I just picked up the car with my in-laws. We reserved an Audi A3 for $140 for the whole week (which btw is insaaaaanely cheap!). And the guy was super awesome, and gave them a BMW 328i at no extra charge!

I will only use SIXT from now on. I think even for my Miami trips I'll probably just rent a car instead of using my own.

That number seems off. Are you including the taxes and interest in there as well? Cause I have my number at 8.5k in 2.5 years.

iEusd0B.png

7600 miles, excellent condition. Paid $26k. Private party is about $1k higher.

The taxes are always a loss; I never include these in calculating depreciation.

AlphaSnake

This is why you buy CPO/used.

I'm not about to dump $45k on a car that will be $32k in three years with 12k miles.

Or you can buy a new car well below MSRP and below invoice. I bought my 370Z in 2010 for 37K. Sold it in 2014 for 27.5K. :)

Or you can lease, that way you only pay for the depreciation and nothing more. And if the car's depreciation curve is worse than project at the end of the lease, return it to the bank. If it's better than projected, buy it out. And if you've incurred any damage to the car and it's on the CarFax, you get it fixed by the insurance, and not have to worry about selling a vehicle with a damaged claim on it - the bank simply takes it back at the end of the lease. :)

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/iEusd0B.png[/IMG]

7600 miles, excellent condition. Paid $26k. Private party is about $1k higher.

The taxes are always a loss; I never include these in calculating depreciation.

KBB is saying I am at ~$17k. MY13 BRZ Limited with 20k miles. Which trim did you get?

Out of sight, out of mind. Seriously. Even though I always intend to drive my cars into the ground, I just try not to think about depreciation.

I always laugh at the people on the Miata forum I visit who won't even let their cars see rain... It depends on the person and the car, but at some point a garage queen just becomes the antithesis of everything enjoyable about cars and mechanics.
I mean, some of these are show cars, so I guess it makes sense to keep them immaculate. But then I'm always thinking, if you clay everyday, how long before you completely strip off your clear coat?

And speaking of clear coat, how do you guys feel about the new matte coat trend? I think those cars are ugly as hell, and their owners are reminiscent of the old "my favorite color is primer" ricers who grew up and made money to buy fancy cars.

mkenyon

Banned
And speaking of clear coat, how do you guys feel about the new matte coat trend? I think those cars are ugly as hell, and their owners are reminiscent of the old "my favorite color is primer" ricers who grew up and made money to buy fancy cars.
My pal's WRX looks famazing, even better in person.

qsnQcm7.jpg

Smokey

So I just picked up the car with my in-laws. We reserved an Audi A3 for $140 for the whole week (which btw is insaaaaanely cheap!). And the guy was super awesome, and gave them a BMW 328i at no extra charge!

I will only use SIXT from now on. I think even for my Miami trips I'll probably just rent a car instead of using my own.

Better hope nothing happens to the car. We used SIXT for our trip to San Diego. The rental caught a flat. They refused to send out a tow truck and said we would be responsible for all charges including the tire. I rode that bitch clear across the city with a flat, got to their place and told them to fuk off. They tried the oh we will upgrade you to a better car for the inconvenience. Nope. Pass.

mkenyon

Banned

mkenyon

Banned
I apologize for that second part, then.
No worries mate, no offense taken.

I think the general idea of the matte thing, is that despite matte techincally sticking out less than gloss objectively, the fact that it is way more rare ends up giving the matte finish a bit more flash.

Some of those wraps can look quite nice in person. They also help project the stock paint job. He actually just pulled off his wrap as he's trading his WRX in on a Golf R. Despite being a year and a half old, the stock paint looks immaculate.

I can definitely understand not liking it though, it is reminiscent of all the hobbled together muscle cars and Hondas that were a mash of different shitty primer.

Top Bottom