• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
20160116-m1008311ixpqj.jpg

LMAO that is not my car. It's a photo I took from a car show that I really liked and wanted to share.

You live in Europe man! Home to the greatest driving roads in the world. Take a day trip out to Stelvio Pass, Col de Turini or the Nurburgring.

Would take a bit more than a day (live near the coast), but yeah, you're right.

My Boxster is in the shop right now for the IMS bearing upgrade. Once I get it back, I'll take a trip (and my camera).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Infiniti Q50 2.0T starts at $34,000 (the base 3.7L use to start at $38K). Assuming a $4-5K upcharge per motor, I think the RS400 launching at $47K sounds about right. It may cost a little more, but apparently it doesn't come "base" and will offer a lot of standard equipment.

Flo_Evans

On your other note, you can pick up a clean 2009+ 987.2 Cayman S within your $40K budget. Those come with the upgraded lights, interior/tech, and 3.4L motor from the 911. Fantastic 6spd gearbox and very reliable.

Oh I know...

1UUXm3Z.png

Already got one picked out. I just worry it would be stretching myself too thin, for example one of our friends is renting a castle in italy for their wedding... I kind of want to go but that type of stuff would be right out.

I think at the very least I am going to wait to see what the Tesla is like, maybe the BRZ will get a turbo lol.

SliChillax

Oh I know...

1UUXm3Z.png

Already got one picked out. I just worry it would be stretching myself too thin, for example one of our friends is renting a castle in italy for their wedding... I kind of want to go but that type of stuff would be right out.

I think at the very least I am going to wait to see what the Tesla is like, maybe the BRZ will get a turbo lol.

The 228i is also a great little car. Less nose heavy than the M235i so it should feel more nimble and great fuel economy. Doesn't compare to any Porsches of course but it's more practical. But some user posted a 228i a while ago which was really expensive so might not be all that worth it depending where you live. It should also get replaced soon by the 230i. Also it doesn't have the best interior quality wise but it's practical and you could seat adults in the back. Read what Jalopnik had to say http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-228i-is-the-best-enthusiast-bimmer-you-can-buy-1662847106

That's not an M235i, not impressed.

Oh I know...

1UUXm3Z.png

Screw the castle, that Cayman is forever (well, until you sell it).

Flo_Evans

The 228i is also a great little car. Less nose heavy than the M235i so it should feel more nimble and great fuel economy. Doesn't compare to any Porsches of course but it's more practical. But some user posted a 228i a while ago which was really expensive so might not be all that worth it depending where you live. It should also get replaced soon by the 230i. Also it doesn't have the best interior quality wise but it's practical and you could seat adults in the back. Read what Jalopnik had to say http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-228i-is-the-best-enthusiast-bimmer-you-can-buy-1662847106

hmm yeah I test drove the 228 and M235 when they first came out. They get pricey quick with options, seems to be zero manual 228s on the gently used market around here -anywhere really expanding my searches nationwide O_O

AlphaSnake

hmm yeah I test drove the 228 and M235 when they first came out. They get pricey quick with options, seems to be zero manual 228s on the gently used market around here -anywhere really expanding my searches nationwide O_O

I'm looking to buy this silver loaded M235i at a local BMW dealer. It has 3K miles and they're asking $47K. I could easily have it for $44K. But I'm restraining myself and just holding out. I need to test drive the new Q50 first.

AlphaSnake

Btw.

I'm servicing my M56S right now. Doing new Hawk brake pads + trans and diff fluid. I got a Cadillac SRX loaner. Umm...everything I've heard about CUE being shit is true. It's downright awful. The car also has tons of interior rattles - the worst one I think is fixable, as it could be the leather headrest in the back seat? Brake pedal feel is downright terrible, stiff for absolutely no reason with little feedback.

I only drove the car straight home, so not a whole lot of impressions to dole out. But it's definitely an odd car. Would've much rather if they had an ATS or CTS.

matmanx1

So then why not a 135i which should be more available and at cheaper prices?

matmanx1

I have a flight booked for Saturday, March 26th to Orlando. It is a one way ticket because I am planning (unless something goes horribly wrong) on buying a Lexus GX470 from a private party seller.

We connected on the Club Lexus forums and have been talking for several weeks now. I've gotten photos, lots of vehicle history and, of course, the Carfax report which is absolutely immaculate.

I'm starting to get excited although the flight is at 7am which means I will need to be there at 5am which means getting up reeeeeeally early. Oh well, it will be worth it.

mkenyon

Banned
Hahahaha that's the spirit!
I'm looking to buy this silver loaded M235i at a local BMW dealer. It has 3K miles and they're asking $47K. I could easily have it for $44K. But I'm restraining myself and just holding out. I need to test drive the new Q50 first.
Would be interesting to find out which of the two is the better overall driver's car. Im guessing the M235i, but that 400hp might be enough to push it a bit towards the Q50.

SliChillax

Also quite rare around here not in convertible auto >_<

My brother actually had one before he got his tacoma, was a pretty amazing ride but I was not a fan of the looks.

I find both the old and new 1 series to be some of the ugliest cars they have produced and I'm not a fan of the rear end of the current 2 series. It grows on you but it's not the best looking thing. What about the Golf R? I would also suggest the Focus RS but I'm not sure if they're on sale right now.

ascii42

Btw.

I'm servicing my M56S right now. Doing new Hawk brake pads + trans and diff fluid. I got a Cadillac SRX loaner. Umm...everything I've heard about CUE being shit is true. It's downright awful. The car also has tons of interior rattles - the worst one I think is fixable, as it could be the leather headrest in the back seat? Brake pedal feel is downright terrible, stiff for absolutely no reason with little feedback.

I only drove the car straight home, so not a whole lot of impressions to dole out. But it's definitely an odd car. Would've much rather if they had an ATS or CTS.

Unfortunately, the SRX, as it's on its way out and being replaced by the XT5, didn't get the latest version of the CUE hardware. So not only is it more sluggish than every other 2016 Cadillac, you also can't use Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

Apart from navigation, which is slow when zooming in and out and sliding around, I'm fine with CUEs performance. It was absolutely awful especially in 2013 models though, even for things like changing volume. The early CUE demonstration videos are hilarious. Seems like voice commands are the way to go for selecting music or calling people (fiddling with CUE or even CarPlay for that seems like a bad idea while driving), and you can use either CUE's voice commands or your phone's (press the button for CUE, hold the button to go to your phone's). I do think it's neat how favorites can be a number of things: radio stations, artists, albums, playlists, pandora stations, phone contacts, destinations, even tone settings, for whatever reason.

AlphaSnake

Unfortunately, the SRX, as it's on its way out and being replaced by the XT5, didn't get the latest version of the CUE hardware. So not only is it more sluggish than every other 2016 Cadillac, you also can't use Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

Apart from navigation, which is slow when zooming in and out and sliding around, CUE's performance is fine to me in my ATS. It was absolutely awful especially in 2013 models though, even for things like changing volume. The early CUE demonstration videos are hilarious.

Yeah, I figured that'd be the case. It's crazy though, because even by 2011+ standards, it's just a terrible interface. And my God that engine is absolutely abysmal and sad. Granted this isn't a light car, but people complained about the VQ37 being harsh? This thing is beyond thrashy and harsh sounding. The VQ37 has a swan song compared to this 3.6L. 6-speed transmission is pretty bad too, about as slow (and every bit as jerky) as the SMG in my brother's old 2006 M6. This 2015 SRX is definitely long in the tooth and overstayed its welcome.

The XT5 can't come soon enough. I think it arrives to dealers in May?

ascii42

Yeah, I figured that'd be the case. It's crazy though, because even by 2011+ standards, it's just a terrible interface. And my God that engine is absolutely abysmal and sad. Granted this isn't a light car, but people complained about the VQ37 being harsh? This thing is beyond thrashy and harsh sounding. The VQ37 has a swan song compared to this 3.6L. 6-speed transmission is pretty bad too, about as slow (and every bit as jerky) as the SMG in my brother's old 2006 M6. This 2015 SRX is definitely long in the tooth and overstayed its welcome.

The XT5 can't come soon enough. I think it arrives to dealers in May?

Yeah. I think so.

The XT5's still going to be far from perfect (faster CUE is still CUE), but the engine and transmission situation should be better. Should be a nice ride in Platinum trim. I'm particularly interested in that rear view mirror camera thing.

Malvolio

Dont do it bro! People should stop buying them so Honda does an emergency redesign.

The Civic coupe is getting negative reactions? I think they looked pretty slick. Was disappointed when I found out the coupe was delayed for the US. Would have liked to at least give an SI a chance against the GTI.

matmanx1

Time to buy my new car

1-10thgenadmin-albums-2017-honda-coupe-pricing-lx-lx-p-ex-t-ex-l-touring-picture2138-ex-t-model.jpg

The civic is actually a good looking car in person. Photos do not do all of those lines and angles justice. You need to see it up close.

That EX-T would be absolutely stellar with a manual gearbox instead of the CVT. Chances of that happening?

The civic is actually a good looking car in person. Photos do not do all of those lines and angles justice. You need to see it up close.

That EX-T would be absolutely stellar with a manual gearbox instead of the CVT. Chances of that happening?

100% for MY2017. Honda let journos drive prototypes during the coupe launch event last month.

lxGpqma.png

EDIT: either this is an error, or Fiat is undercutting the Miata by $5k to start.

Right now it's only paired with the NA engine for some reason.

Gimme a new Si, dammit.

Smokey

May not even need to get a new car to accomadate the baby. We've been moving around the past few days and its worked fine in the Accord Coupe.

SliChillax

This is just insane.

Jeep Wrangler Trailcat "Hellcat Engine in a modified Wrangler"

https://youtu.be/Z7j9XcrZYec

Oh man that's must be hilarious to drive.

So the BMW M2 (manual) has been faster around the track than a manual BMW M4 at Streets of Willow and recently a DCT M2 has been also faster around Hockenheim short version than a manual M4. It wasn't just faster than the M4 though, it was faster than the A45 facelift with 380hp and semi slicks. This sounds crazy good and also considering how much the critics prefer the M2 over the M4, it's a no brainer on which to get.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235680

100% for MY2017. Honda let journos drive prototypes during the coupe launch event last month.

lxGpqma.png

EDIT: either this is an error, or Fiat is undercutting the Miata by $5k to start.

Just checked the site. There's no price now, and the price in your picture is the same as the 500c. So I'd go with error.

burgerdog

so there's going to be an audi R8 with v6 twin turbo......so it's going to be good looking GT-R lol

That's from the leaked time table, right? Rumor has it that the RS5 is also going to be a TT V6, too. I'm really conflicted about that, it's not going to sound as good as the V8, but it's going to have a hell of a lot more torque due to the TT. I just know that my B8.5 S5 is going to get replaced by the V8 or V6 RS5 at some point so the latter better look good cause I'm not liking the B9 A5 camo shots.

lxGpqma.png

Pretty sure this is an error.

The UK versions will go under 20K GBP(about $28K) so I'd say it'll probably be a grand or two more than the base price of a Miata here in the US.

This is just insane.

Jeep Wrangler Trailcat "Hellcat Engine in a modified Wrangler"

https://youtu.be/Z7j9XcrZYec

Lol when they said "Hellcat all the things" I didn't think they were serious... but either way, this is fncking awesome!

Wonder how it will compare to the old V8 model.

Will probably perform better and cheaper to mod to gain more power.

just like the GT-R...simple straight pipe and tune will do alot.

That's from the leaked time table, right? Rumor has it that the RS5 is also going to be a TT V6, too. I'm really conflicted about that, it's not going to sound as good as the V8, but it's going to ha
ve a hell of a lot more torque due to the TT. I just know that my B8.5 S5 is going to get replaced by the V8 or V6 RS5 at some point so the latter better look good cause I'm not liking the B9 A5 camo shots.

yeah it will definatly not sound as good.

when I drove the R8 V8 is sounded amazing..one of them best sounding car I ever heard.

Laws00

Well on my way home from work Wednesday I encountered my first problem(s) with my 2016 Honda Civic EX.

Funny thing was I was thinking to myself I finally have a car that has air condition lol. Could it have been that I had the Eco button on and driving with the air on? I'm just running through the scenarios in my head.

I saw the tire pressure light came on. Got a little worried. I was less then 1 mile from home went by the gas station to see if I had to put air in or there might be a hole somewhere. Nope. Guy I talked to said they over inflated my tires and that it should correct itself if not take it to the dealer.

Got home since I dont have an updated phone with android auto or the honda link app or apple whatever, i look at the honda link and see I have 5 messages...

These pictures are taken from another http://www.civicx.com forum but this is more or less the same thing that had happen to me.

Took it to the dealer, they asked if i was ok, blah blah. Told them I had multi warning indicators not to mention I turned it in because of the engine piston problem (mine hasnt shown any signs). I have less then 700 miles on the car thought this would happen maybe a year or a half after I got the car. I've only filled the car up twice since i've gotten it.

01f1a0872595ca732593551e6db3e57784e0a02fc7-jpg.4197

01f05f06bf057089c79d5fc5954cbf09e015d2552e-jpg.4198

01083ba955608a26d6cf1f942b1a3f1d74d65bba47-jpg.4199

015750cf873a4b11bbfed947283f048e2e238e86b7-jpg.4200

matmanx1

Right now it's only paired with the NA engine for some reason.

Gimme a new Si, dammit.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Will the new EX-T that is in the ad there with the 1.5 turbo be offered with the manual? That would be the one to have.

Well on my way home from work Wednesday I encountered my first problem(s) with my 2016 Honda Civic EX.

Funny thing was I was thinking to myself I finally have a car that has air condition lol. Could it have been that I had the Eco button on and driving with the air on? I'm just running through the scenarios in my head.

I saw the tire pressure light came on. Got a little worried. I was less then 1 mile from home went by the gas station to see if I had to put air in or there might be a hole somewhere. Nope. Guy I talked to said they over inflated my tires and that it should correct itself if not take it to the dealer.

Got home since I dont have an updated phone with android auto or the honda link app or apple whatever, i look at the honda link and see I have 5 messages...

These pictures are taken from another http://www.civicx.com forum but this is more or less the same thing that had happen to me.

Took it to the dealer, they asked if i was ok, blah blah. Told them I had multi warning indicators not to mention I turned it in because of the engine piston problem (mine hasnt shown any signs). I have less then 700 miles on the car thought this would happen maybe a year or a half after I got the car. I've only filled the car up twice since i've gotten it.

01f1a0872595ca732593551e6db3e57784e0a02fc7-jpg.4197

01f05f06bf057089c79d5fc5954cbf09e015d2552e-jpg.4198

01083ba955608a26d6cf1f942b1a3f1d74d65bba47-jpg.4199

015750cf873a4b11bbfed947283f048e2e238e86b7-jpg.4200

Yikes. You don't expect that kind of thing with a new Honda product but it does seem like the new Civics are having some teething problems. Hopefully it will be something easy for them to diagnose and fix quickly for you.

Flo_Evans

99% sure its just buggy firmware freaking out. I had similar problems with my GM saab... really put me off ever buying (I was leasing thank god) a 1st production year car.

AlphaSnake

Dammit. Had my transmission service performed on the M56S and I think my buddy didn't drain the overflow plug to let out any excess fluid. The car drives nice and smooth, but feels sluggish when you try to get at it, especially top end.

Gotta go back Tuesday and have him double check the overflow plug. At least 6/8s of a quart are supposed to spill out, and once it stops it means the trans fluid is now leveled.

Top Bottom