• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Good to hear your tuner is working with you.

As for your story, it seems like you know what you're doing. However, coolant temp is not indicative of how warmed up the car is. From a cold start you'll want to idle the car until one bar shows up on the coolant gauge (just a ballpark means of measuring time, per the owner's manual) to allow the oil to circulate a little bit and then drive lightly while keeping the revs under 3 to 3.5k for a solid 10 minutes. After that, your oil and engine should be up to temp and your transmission, differentials, tires, etc. have all also had a chance to warm up.

AFR seems good. MAF calibration being the problem is unlikely, especially if you haven't changed from the stock MAF housing size. Although, if you are using an oiled air intake filter (K&N for example) it's possible that the oil from it has contaminated the MAF sensor and is causing readings to be thrown off. Lack of issues other than the code popping up would lead me to believe it's something after the AFR sensor such as an exhaust leak or bad rear o2 sensor.

On another note, even if there's nothing wrong with the car it would make sense for the situation you described to cause the code since going uphill at 3k would cause the turbo to spool more than normal due to the increased load, and as far as I'm aware, during spool it's technically 'lean' and this could trip the code which has probably has parameters for the rich stock tune, rather than your custom tune which would have different AFRs across the board. I'm no expert on this just thinking out loud lol

for the overspeed code, it seems that it doesn't actually cause a CEL to show, but is rather just stored in the ECU. So I'm not sure if there's a way to tell when it originated. I would still think it was during the dyno tune if the car was run past 7599rpm during a pull. I've read that stock cams and springs are safely good for 7800rpm and it's common for tuners to do this so I wouldn't worry about it. Also I doubt your wife caused it, unless she managed a money shift into first or shifted into 2nd gear past 60mph.

Good luck with your car man, keep us posted. Should be fine really, just gotta get those two pesky codes under control.

Ok, the over speed code makes sense now. It probably wasn't triggered with the other code but at some point earlier without the service engine light turning on. Thanks again for your input. Im definitely still learning.

matmanx1

Gonna take some better/stylish shots this weekend, hopefully:

Oh wow. That color... It's fantastic!

2dd.jpg

Damn, the paint on that 911 is definitely gorgeous.

Lol smiles per hour is a funny phrase. I've heard smiles per gallon being thrown around before, but not sph haha.

I'm actually now really curious as to what Mazda's planning these days. Part of me feels like they'll be cannibalizing themselves if a 200hp Fiata turbo does happen, but since it is a Mazda with a FIAT engine... are they even losing money that way?

My feeling is that Mazda isn't going to do a turbo Miata this time around. It would be awfully similar to the 124 Abarth, wouldn't it? I do think we will continue to see special edition Miatas and hopefully a Speed3 or Speed6 with a turbo at some point.

But that's just speculation on my part.

nayrac

It's the most entertaining car I've ever owned. Only advice I have is to get an extended warranty. Not a fan of the 500C but that's probably because I don't need another convertible.

Well, the Abarth is extremely fun but make sure you know what you are getting into with the Cabrio. The top is pretty funky and adds weirdness to what is already an odd car. I like the Abarth, I don't care for the Cabrio but that's just my opinion. As long as you guys like it and it works for you then you should be able to get an extremely good deal on one right now.

She's looking at a 2013 CPO w/ 40k on it. Dealer wants $14.5. They also have a 2015 leftover asking $22.5. I think we'll end up pulling the trigger on one of those. Thanks for the input.

Cowie

Please tell me you have a garage and not park in the street

There was a Carrera 4S cabrio at my old apartment complex who frequently parked on the street even though there was a parking garage with ample room. That in itself wasn't so bad, but he would also leave the top down after he parked the car, even overnight.

The thought still eats at me.

nitewulf

Please tell me you have a garage and not park in the street

That's the unfortunate part for the next 2 months or so, that's one of the reasons I was delaying as well, my next place does have the space, but I can't move in right away...but I just couldn't pass the car up, I'm looking for monthly parking now but frankly the underground spots with valets scare me...no way they'll take care of the car while parking.

By the way, thanks everyone!

My feeling is that Mazda isn't going to do a turbo Miata this time around. It would be awfully similar to the 124 Abarth, wouldn't it? I do think we will continue to see special edition Miatas and hopefully a Speed3 or Speed6 with a turbo at some point.

But that's just speculation on my part.

I dunno tbh. People have been clamoring for a Mazdaspeed Miata since the NC came out and they couldn't do it due to the economy getting flushed down the toilet. But now that they've got some cash flow and are actually publicly spending R&D money for a rotary comeback, I'd like to believe that a turbo Miata is indeed in the cards.

But what I do know, by way of the grapevine, is that the Mazdaspeed team in California have just recently(sometime in the last 2 weeks) managed to fit in the Skyactiv turbo(from the new CX-9) into the Mazda3's engine bay. So hopefully we'll see something soon.

Speaking of rumors, while I'm at it... I'm 90% sure Mazda is showing the power retractable hardtop version of the ND Miata at NYIAS. I've seen lots of hints being dropped by the focus groups participants in the Miata forums, Miata club higher ups, third party vendors(like Flyin' Miata and Goodwin Racing), and also dealership heads have seen it too. I'm somewhat excited, but I'm not holding my breath lol.

Edit:

Jay Leno drives the new NSX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8JwgDAPPqg

It's a shame the car is kinda underwhelming.
What's worse is that I watched it for the girl not the damn car lol.

matmanx1

But what I do know, by way of the grapevine, is that the Mazdaspeed team in California have just recently(sometime in the last 2 weeks) managed to fit in the Skyactiv turbo(from the new CX-9) into the Mazda3's engine bay. So hopefully we'll see something soon.

Ooh I hope so. That is very good news, indeed.

matmanx1

So the Honda dealership in the next town over has a fresh 07 Civic Si trade-in that I am probably going to go check out tomorrow. It has a Ct Supercharger installed (which adds 65 - 70whp) + exhaust and I am very curious what it would be like to drive. That supercharger kit is about a 4 grand part by itself and that doesn't include the recommended 8 or so hour install. And the dealership only wants $7900 for the whole car (it has 124k miles) so it might be completely ragged out.

The add also notes that it has a brand new transmission which tells me that maybe the stock unit isn't able to handle the power for the long term but without further investigation I am just speculating.

We'll see.

matmanx1

We all did. I honestly didn't look at the car once...

I did, but I looked at the old car more. The original, especially the later ones, have such a great look and such beautiful lines. The new car would have been shown off better in this video had they also picked a lighter color for it. Black just hides so many of the details.

Also eye grabbing, the lady presenter's pants. And I'm saying that as respectfully as I know how.

The new NSX doesn't do much for me either. But I'm trying to think back on the reception of the original NSX, and I feel like popular opinion wasn't really on the side of the original either when it first came out. That's not a very easy thing to verify one way or another 25 years later, though.

mkenyon

Banned
The new NSX doesn't do much for me either. But I'm trying to think back on the reception of the original NSX, and I feel like popular opinion wasn't really on the side of the original either when it first came out. That's not a very easy thing to verify one way or another 25 years later, though.
It outperformed pretty much everything at the time, felt better, drove better, with Honda reliability.

It was a revolutionary car that turned the sports car world upside down.

As I remember, the NSX was highly praised in the beginning. Fell in love the first time I saw it. I was taking the bus and saw a white one with a black top...I was so amaze.

every car magazine had it as a cover...

We all did. I honestly didn't look at the car once...

Lol I'm not gonna lie, I was falling in love haha.

I thought she was just your typical pretty face brought to the team for stupid reasons, but she actually knows her shit and I could finally see beyond those teal pants.

Zyzyxxz

The problem people had with the NSX back then was the psychological hurdle some people had to get over/pass for buying a $90,000 Honda.

mmm, so want the new C7 Grand Sport.

will be getting one to replace my M3 once the C7 LCI is out and the LT1 gets bumped to 500hp+. probably two years till that happens which is good as that'll likely be when chevy dealers give these away for $10k off.

ideally i'd like to keep both cars but we'll see what happens.

2017-chevy-covette-grand-sport-001-1.jpg

Smokey

My son was born this morning. Been great. He's been pretty chill too, only crying when he had his bath. Basically just wants to sleep lol.

The hunt for a SUV restarts this weekend. He came early and we expected to use this weekend to finalize everything, but NOPE.

mkenyon

Banned
My son was born this morning. Been great. He's been pretty chill too, only crying when he had his bath. Basically just wants to sleep lol.

The hunt for a SUV restarts this weekend. He came early and we expected to use this weekend to finalize everything, but NOPE.
Amazing news man. Glad everything went well! Congrats!

Congratulations!

I was actually in a very similar boat, where I had to get an SUV because we'll be having a baby soon. We ended up with an X3, and I highly recommend it.

Congrats man!!

Bandit1

Congratulations Smokey!

burgerdog

mmm, so want the new C7 Grand Sport.

will be getting one to replace my M3 once the C7 LCI is out and the LT1 gets bumped to 500hp+. probably two years till that happens which is good as that'll likely be when chevy dealers give these away for $10k off.

ideally i'd like to keep both cars but we'll see what happens.

2017-chevy-covette-grand-sport-001-1.jpg

There's a local dealer that has been discounting them for $9-11k regularly so I can definitely see the same thing happening to the grand sport.

Congrats!

Ashes

Banned

Congrats. It's funny that your son being born made you think about buying an SUV, whereas a friend of a friend went the other way. He had an SUV, but his son being born made him think about the world he was leaving for his son, and climate change etc. Opted for a hybrid.

burgerdog

Congrats. It's funny that your son being born made you think about buying an SUV, whereas a friend of a friend went the other way. He had an SUV, but his son being born made him think about the world he was leaving for his son, and climate change etc. Opted for a hybrid.

What if he's getting a hybrid suv? Plot twist!

Cars and Coffee today was fncking awesome! The turnout was huge and the driveby's sounded amazing.

Pics and a vid will be up ASAP. Got lots of pics to go through and a crapton of footage to edit lol.

Cars and Coffee today was fncking awesome! The turnout was huge and the driveby's sounded amazing.

Pics and a vid will be up ASAP. Got lots of pics to go through and a crapton of footage to edit lol.

It's raining here in cali :(
I want to drive my car soo bad ..

dayam rain..guess I'll try to stir things up on other car thread in GAF.

It's raining here in cali :(
I want to drive my car soo bad ..

dayam rain..guess I'll try to stir things up on other car thread in GAF.

Lol that rain is supposed to be making it's way next week for us here in Texas, supposed to rain all week. @____@

Also, there's another car thread on GAF?

How many mustangs crashed while leaving?

Zero.

The crash last month apparently made huuuuge media coverage the C&C organizers themselves were policing the streets, plus there was a huge ass banner by the exit that said something along the lines of "Don't be the next YouTube star" lol.

Anyway, finally pooled all the pics and vids together. 225 pics, including about 100 from the drivebys and 6gb's of video. Fuuuuuuuuu, I'll try, edit and upload the best pics ASAP and I'll post the rest of the album and the video when that gets done sometime within this week lol.

Finally finished editing the pics! Whew, I spent almost all of my afternoon editing lol. Here's the 15 best imo.

Here's the link to the entire album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskuZrvnL

Finally, what the fnck is this:

It has the Abarth badge up front and a Yugo badge at the back lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Good luck with your car man, keep us posted. Should be fine really, just gotta get those two pesky codes under control.

got under the car with a spray bottle and soapy water and it looks like a bad gasket between the downpipe and cat, theres a fair bit of bubbles while idling. would this trigger a post catalytic lean?

matmanx1

SUV eh? What kind are you thinking about? And congrats on your son!

I found a 2005 Golf TDi with 275,000 miles, 5k dollars. Bad idea or baddest idea?

Disel's can go a long, long time with proper maintenance. Does the current owner have good maintenance records? If so, then it's not a terrible idea assuming all of the electrics work. If there are no maintenance records available then I would probably walk away. You don't want to inherit someone else's problem.

Anion

I'm 80% sure that that last one is a Hot Wheels somebody accidentally enlarged.
Lol
The rear does look familiar but I cant remember why. The headlights are definitely throwing me off cause I haven't ever seen those anywhere with that rear - videogame or real life lol

matmanx1

I've been speaking through email with a gentleman in Florida that I met on the Club Lexus forums. He's interested in selling his Lexus GX470 and it sounds like a very good deal. It's a 2004 with 115,000 miles. He's sent lots of photos and a picture of his VIN# so that I could run the Carfax report. From the Carfax report I can tell that the vehicle has been rigorously maintained and is completely up to date on absolutely everything. Only 2 owners and no accidents.

And the best part is, because we met on Club Lexus he's willing to part with the vehicle for pretty much the trade-in value + the tax savings value that he would get if he traded it in. This could be the 3rd vehicle we've been looking for and I'm getting pretty excited about it.

Top Bottom