• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
so i just google image searched mk4 jetta because i forgot what gen that was and why are so many people stancing mk4 jettas

The Euro/Stance scene has fortunately died off a lot, but the popularity of the MK4 seems to stem from the original The Fast and The Furious.

Well on my way home from work Wednesday I encountered my first problem(s) with my 2016 Honda Civic EX.

Funny thing was I was thinking to myself I finally have a car that has air condition lol. Could it have been that I had the Eco button on and driving with the air on? I'm just running through the scenarios in my head.

I saw the tire pressure light came on. Got a little worried. I was less then 1 mile from home went by the gas station to see if I had to put air in or there might be a hole somewhere. Nope. Guy I talked to said they over inflated my tires and that it should correct itself if not take it to the dealer.

Got home since I dont have an updated phone with android auto or the honda link app or apple whatever, i look at the honda link and see I have 5 messages...

These pictures are taken from another http://www.civicx.com forum but this is more or less the same thing that had happen to me.

Took it to the dealer, they asked if i was ok, blah blah. Told them I had multi warning indicators not to mention I turned it in because of the engine piston problem (mine hasnt shown any signs). I have less then 700 miles on the car thought this would happen maybe a year or a half after I got the car. I've only filled the car up twice since i've gotten it.

01f1a0872595ca732593551e6db3e57784e0a02fc7-jpg.4197

01f05f06bf057089c79d5fc5954cbf09e015d2552e-jpg.4198

01083ba955608a26d6cf1f942b1a3f1d74d65bba47-jpg.4199

015750cf873a4b11bbfed947283f048e2e238e86b7-jpg.4200

Yikes. At least on my 2014 Civic any time you add or remove air from the tires you have to recalibrate the TPMS. But that looks like bad software or the computer is bugging out. I would take it straight back to the dealer.

nitewulf

Cool car but wow is everyone trying to cash in as a Magnus Walker clone.

"I'm a dude with greasy hair and an old car, make a movie about me"

I have to say the Petrolicious videos are gorgeous to look at. As for this dude...he seems alright, pretty chill...Magnus, he may look greasy but dude is loaded.

FStop7

Banned
I have to say the Petrolicious videos are gorgeous to look at. As for this dude...he seems alright, pretty chill...Magnus, he may look greasy but dude is loaded.

I'm sure he is a nice guy and Magnus is definitely a nice guy too, but this rush to cash in on being "guy who owns a dirty classic car" is really dumb. Magnus found a niche and has done well but he's also become very overexposed. And there's a rush of others to take bites off of his "style" because they see he got rich(er) by being Guy With Cars so they want the same.

I'm sure he is a nice guy and Magnus is definitely a nice guy too, but this rush to cash in on being "guy who owns a dirty classic car" is really dumb. Magnus found a niche and has done well but he's also become very overexposed. And there's a rush of others to take bites off of his "style" because they see he got rich(er) by being Guy With Cars so they want the same.

A lot of it is just people looking for a different way to stand out with their cars in a world of people dropping big bucks on fancy cars. The modified classics are always the stand-outs at shows--you can only see so many bone-stock 458s. It's kind of why I hate classic muscle car shows, it's just row after row of mint condition 60s muscle. Yeah it's nice they're in good condition, but once you've seen one you've seen 95% of 'em.

I'm not sure it's people looking to cash in, it's more people looking to stand out amongst aficionados.

I don't post in here often (mostly lurk) since it seems to be mostly new car/high end related but I finally got to drive my car again. Been a long few months of hibernation but I think the threat of snow is completely gone so I took the crx out for it's first real drive of the year. feelsgoodman.jpg Took a little beach cruise and ran the car a bit. Just a few things to do before summer hits and this car will be 100% complete. Then I can focus on getting the prelude back to 100%.

crx said:

Anyone else taking their summer cars out yet?

Anion

I don't post in here often (mostly lurk) since it seems to be mostly new car/high end related but I finally got to drive my car again. Been a long few months of hibernation but I think the threat of snow is completely gone so I took the crx out for it's first real drive of the year. feelsgoodman.jpg Took a little beach cruise and ran the car a bit. Just a few things to do before summer hits and this car will be 100% complete. Then I can focus on getting the prelude back to 100%.

Nice man, post more pics and it isnt necessarly all high end and new cars haha. Seems a few select members here make it so hahaha *cough* *cough*

I just pulled my car out of the storage but that's cause I only had summer tires on them lol

Launch this clown into the sun.

That scene always pisses me off, not cause of the porsche though lol. But cause of the w113 MB SL (I think that's it)

As someone from AZ, I'm getting ready to put my 240sx away for the summer. I have a turbo engine I need to build for it. Also needs to have the coilovers rebuilt along with the steering rack.

Going to start driving the maxima a lot more as it has a/c. Although I just put a new brake master cylinder in it and for some reason I can not bleed all the air out of the system. I've never had this much trouble bleeding brakes before and its driving me crazy.

Donos

Oh god, the wait for the new car is seriously killing me. And it's just the first week..of at least 12 or so.

cartmanfreezeshimself.jpg

Ty4on

Got home since I dont have an updated phone with android auto or the honda link app or apple whatever, i look at the honda link and see I have 5 messages...
It sounds like an electrical fault, possibly in combination with a glitch in the firmware, that is throwing out garbage data and producing error codes.
And like m_shortpants is saying with the tire pressure systems I'm used to there's a switch you have to press to reset the system when you properly inflate the tires. It might be more advanced in your car, but in those the system just keeps track of the individual tires' rotation speed and sounds the alarm when one deviates too much. There's a switch like this you hold down until the car responds with a beep.

Totally different car, but I got a check engine light in a new loaner with just 2200 km on the clock with zero throttle application when it popped up (engine braking down a hill). A couple of years ago I drove a similar car and would one day get a check engine light and enter limp mode up steep hills. Restarting the car got me out of limp mode, but up steep hills it would pop back up again. In the former case I have no idea what the problem was and it never popped up again when I drove it. In the latter case I heard it was a firmware glitch and that car has now done ~100,000km.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm changing out a gasket between the downpipe and cat to fix an exhaust leak, do I need to apply any sort of adhesive?

MisterNoisy

I love those things - when I was much younger, I lusted after the Si models. Super nice-looking example!

Laws00

It sounds like an electrical fault, possibly in combination with a glitch in the firmware, that is throwing out garbage data and producing error codes.
And like m_shortpants is saying with the tire pressure systems I'm used to there's a switch you have to press to reset the system when you properly inflate the tires. It might be more advanced in your car, but in those the system just keeps track of the individual tires' rotation speed and sounds the alarm when one deviates too much. There's a switch like this you hold down until the car responds with a beep.

Totally different car, but I got a check engine light in a new loaner with just 2200 km on the clock with zero throttle application when it popped up (engine braking down a hill). A couple of years ago I drove a similar car and would one day get a check engine light and enter limp mode up steep hills. Restarting the car got me out of limp mode, but up steep hills it would pop back up again. In the former case I have no idea what the problem was and it never popped up again when I drove it. In the latter case I heard it was a firmware glitch and that car has now done ~100,000km.

Ya i took to the dealship and got it fixed. Along with the piston recall problem. Seems to be going fine currently. I wonder if it'll happen again. I did hear that a firmware update was in the works

Nice crx..
they run forever and plenty of aftermarket support. Less and less clean example left. .

been raining 2 weeks straight in northern cali...I'm losing my patients..but we need the rain, so I shouldn't be complaining.

HELP.

Is it okay to run 275s on a 9 inch wheel?

Ive got a 245x9 square setup for winter and want to get the widest track tires possible for the same wheels.

Fuck me, I never would've thought it would be this hard to find a decent NB Miata on Craigslist. So many jokers selling 175k salvages for 4.5k+...

Unfortunately, it's the wrong season to buy a Miata. Prices are exorbitantly high during the late winter/early spring season. You're gonna have to pay out of the ass during this time, but if you don't mind waiting a bit, prices kinda cool off around May/June since it's peak autocross season and those jokers selling them at high prices would've given up the chase and would start selling them a lot lower.

What are you looking for exactly? I can take a look at the DFW Miata FB group and the forum to see who has one for sale, and check the forums or FB groups close to you. Also, try broadening the search outside of your immediate area if you haven't. I've found a multitude of cool/interesting cars if I expand my search area... they're just hiding in the middle of nowhere lol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My new Jaguar came in yesterday. It's Polaris White. I left the deposit and pick it up end of the week.

Car has all of 2 miles on it. And I got a crazy deal on the car.

SliChillax

My new Jaguar came in yesterday. It's Polaris White. I left the deposit and pick it up end of the week.

Congrats! Saw the new XF for the first time yesterday and all I said was wow this looks so much better than the german competition. I'm curious about the interior though, how does it hold up quality wise compared to the Germans?

Fuck me, I never would've thought it would be this hard to find a decent NB Miata on Craigslist. So many jokers selling 175k salvages for 4.5k+...

Buddy of mine scored one last fall for around 2.5k. had some rocker panel rust but that's pretty much it, single owner as well. I remeber at the time being dumbfounded since I couldn't even find NA's that cheap.

With the summer coming up it's probably not the best time to try and score a deal on one unfortunately. Just keep looking, your miata is out there somewhere. i'm still trying to find a datsun 620 pickup local, and it's been almost a year. I think i'm just gonna ship one from the PNW and call it a day at this point.

Chiester

Went to cars and coffee this morning so here are a couple of pics. Gonna try to go to C&C austin tomorrow so I'll try to get more interesting cars instead of cars that I personally like.
Once again excuse my old dslr
KyJBenV.jpg

PPZWe0W.jpg

f3V6Hpr.jpg

UYuaE7t.jpg

bGZbhau.jpg

SrAmPjF.jpg

0IDfsOW.jpg

Araahe3.jpg

Rl3RxtW.jpg

00NWcuX.jpg
Also the skyline is now 100% legal. It has been for almost a month now, but I've just been too busy/lazy to do a write up on my experience legalizing it. Now that I'm on spring break I have time to do it, so I'll do it sometime this week.

Unfortunately, it's the wrong season to buy a Miata. Prices are exorbitantly high during the late winter/early spring season. You're gonna have to pay out of the ass during this time, but if you don't mind waiting a bit, prices kinda cool off around May/June since it's peak autocross season and those jokers selling them at high prices would've given up the chase and would start selling them a lot lower.

What are you looking for exactly? I can take a look at the DFW Miata FB group and the forum to see who has one for sale, and check the forums or FB groups close to you. Also, try broadening the search outside of your immediate area if you haven't. I've found a multitude of cool/interesting cars if I expand my search area... they're just hiding in the middle of nowhere lol.

I'm in NorCal. Looking for an NB. Preferably clean title lol meaning no major accidents but I know titles can be a bit weird. I haven't checked FB groups, I need to do that.

Buddy of mine scored one last fall for around 2.5k. had some rocker panel rust but that's pretty much it, single owner as well. I remeber at the time being dumbfounded since I couldn't even find NA's that cheap.

With the summer coming up it's probably not the best time to try and score a deal on one unfortunately. Just keep looking, your miata is out there somewhere. i'm still trying to find a datsun 620 pickup local, and it's been almost a year. I think i'm just gonna ship one from the PNW and call it a day at this point.

Yeah that's a fair point.

I'm in NorCal. Looking for an NB. Preferably clean title lol meaning no major accidents but I know titles can be a bit weird. I haven't checked FB groups, I need to do that.

Since you're in NorCal, reach out to the local Miata groups too, they probably know of a person or two wanting to get rid of their NB's. On that note, I imagine the high prices are also the result of the "beautiful weather" tax imposed on sports cars in Cali lolol.

Worse comes to worse, you'll find one with a clean title but also one that's hasn't been taken care of that well. Good luck on your search man!

Went to cars and coffee this morning so here are a couple of pics. Gonna try to go to C&C austin tomorrow so I'll try to get more interesting cars instead of cars that I personally like.

Also the skyline is now 100% legal. It has been for almost a month now, but I've just been too busy/lazy to do a write up on my experience legalizing it. Now that I'm on spring break I have time to do it, so I'll do it sometime this week.

I wish there was an organized C&C here on Long Island. Best I can get is a local sunday morning spot that's out on the Ocean parkway and doesn't seem to have any consistency and is usually just old muscle cars...yawn.

TheRealGrampa

Neo Member
4RBwxIp.jpg

Finally picked her up yesterday! 500 mile round trip, and the clutch went on the way back. So todays job is to pull the gearbox ready for the new clutch.
Clutch replacement isn't ideal but the car is in even better shape than what i was told, previous owner spent £5k on it 2 years ago having all the welding and body work done so its immaculate.

nitewulf

I wish there was an organized C&C here on Long Island. Best I can get is a local sunday morning spot that's out on the Ocean parkway and doesn't seem to have any consistency and is usually just old muscle cars...yawn.

Where's the one on Ocean Parkway? That 7/11?

Edit: Actually the 7/11 is off CIA...always nice cars parked there since forever.

Where's the one on Ocean Parkway? That 7/11?

Edit: Actually the 7/11 is off CIA...always nice cars parked there since forever.

The one on the ocean parkway is at the old Oak Beach Inn parking lot. Usually muscle cars and bikes. I usually go just because it's a nice straight beach run and it's close to home lol. There is a mercedes dealership in huntington that doe a C&C event ever few months but that doesn't count.

Wait, you purchased a BNR32? If so congrats my man!

matmanx1

Yeah I'm getting more and more sure that I am going to sell or trade my 128i at some point later this year or early next year for a Miata, probably an NC. I want to be patient and find a good one, though.

Will need pictures and deatils, ASAP!

That Kill La Kill car is hilarious. Also, please post pictures and info/impressions on your Skyline. Please and thank you.

Just dropped almost $300 on a car cover for the crx. The cheap ass one that I got before summer last year held up decent for the winter but it's not gonna make it much longer.

Anyone else use covercraft covers? Heard great things about them which is why I chose to spend some extra dough and guarantee it'll last longer than a year. Not to mention the one I have now doesn't exactly breathe all that well, and tends to leave some moisture on the underside of the cover some times when I take it off. I'll probably get one for the prelude after I do the bodywork.

So I test drove the new 2016 Civic Touring with the 1.5L turbo. Holy hell, what a nice car.
Big improvement from the previous model. It's got pulling power for days and the CVT doesn't get in the way like most do. Lots of technology and it's got a great sound system inside as well. The engine sounds pretty good too haha. I absolutely loved driving it around because the handling and the suspension on it is great as well. Honda has done a very good job with it I must say.

Makki

So I test drove the new 2016 Civic Touring with the 1.5L turbo. Holy hell, what a nice car.
Big improvement from the previous model. It's got pulling power for days and the CVT doesn't get in the way like most do. Lots of technology and it's got a great sound system inside as well. The engine sounds pretty good too haha. I absolutely loved driving it around because the handling and the suspension on it is great as well. Honda has done a very good job with it I must say.

And that's just the pedestrian "crappy" version of their new turbo engines with a shitty CVT. I cannot wait to see what the manual SI hatchback will be like... or the Coupe Type R oh my.

I would be so mad if I had bought a previous gen Civic SI just to be bitchslapped by one of these 1.5L new gen Civics... NA Honda was really lacking vision for quite a few years.

ascii42

Went to the Atlanta Auto Show today. Drove the Buick Cascada, Chevy Colorado Diesel and Camaro SS, Ford Escape and Mustang GT Convertible, Kia K900, Jeep Renegade, and Honda Civic. I felt like the Camaro was noticeably quicker than the Mustang, and looking up numbers that seems to be the case.

4RBwxIp.jpg

Finally picked her up yesterday! 500 mile round trip, and the clutch went on the way back. So todays job is to pull the gearbox ready for the new clutch.
Clutch replacement isn't ideal but the car is in even better shape than what i was told, previous owner spent £5k on it 2 years ago having all the welding and body work done so its immaculate.

Nice. I love those 1st gen mr2's so much. I had a 2nd gen which I liked. I wonder how they compare.

Mistel

Banned
I felt like the Camaro was noticeably quicker than the Mustang, and looking up numbers that seems to be the case.
Well it's loosing out on the cubic inch front 302 to 376 so no surprises there plus convertible mustang are heaviest of the lot by a margin,

Top Bottom