• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Bandit1

Finally finished editing the pics! Whew, I spent almost all of my afternoon editing lol. Here's the 15 best imo.

Great pictures, and wow, a Miura?? Amazing.

Also,
25422348142_b8ff3ac30d_h.jpg

Vh1B9Xh.gif

GHG

Gold Member
My son was born this morning. Been great. He's been pretty chill too, only crying when he had his bath. Basically just wants to sleep lol.

The hunt for a SUV restarts this weekend. He came early and we expected to use this weekend to finalize everything, but NOPE.

Congrats man!

Now go get that Macan Turbo. You know you want to.

Xdye7

got under the car with a spray bottle and soapy water and it looks like a bad gasket between the downpipe and cat, theres a fair bit of bubbles while idling. would this trigger a post catalytic lean?

It would make sense to me. When I did my initial searches it seemed to be that exhaust leaks were the culprit for some others cars as well.

Zoolader

My hunt is still continuing on Craigslist for a project car. The b5 S4 from last week fell through and the e30 325i owner never got back to me. I've shifted the search to find a cheap and light rwd car that I can work on myself and turn into a drift/track car. I've sent out a dozen emails and haven't heard back from anybody yet. Of this group of cars I'm really hoping to hear back about the black 325is or white 328is.

Some shit I'm looking at today.

1990 E30 320is, $2500

1987 E30 325e, $2,888

1996 E36 328is, $2,000

year??? E34 528i, $2,500

1993 Miata, $3,400.

Edit:

Oh ya.... and I looked up some Evos just out of curiosity. There's a local Evo 8 for sale with only 9,000 miles on it, and the guy will even trade for a suv or a van, lmao! Thought of you there Smokey.

matmanx1

My hunt is still continuing on Craigslist for a project car. The b5 S4 from last week fell through and the e30 325i owner never got back to me. I've shifted the search to find a cheap and light rwd car that I can work on myself and turn into a drift/track car. I've sent out a dozen emails and haven't heard back from anybody yet. Of this group of cars I'm really hoping to hear back about the black 325is or white 328is.

1990 E30 325is, $2500

1987 E30 325e, $2,888

1996 E36 328is, $2,000

year??? E34 528i, $2,500

1993 Miata, $3,800

Edit:

Oh ya.... and I looked up some Evos just out of curiosity. There's a local Evo 8 for sale with only 9,000 miles on it, and the guy will even trade for a suv or a van, lmao! Thought of you there Smokey.

Knowing someone with a first gen Miata that has a custom exhaust and turbo kit and how much fun it is, that car would get my vote.

And wow at that Evo. It's hardly been out of the garage its whole life!

acksman

Looks like all those pictures are at the Cars and Coffee in Dallas. Hopefully will be there out there next month with my new Shelby.

Makki

1990 E30 325is, $2500

1987 E30 325e, $2,888

1996 E36 328is, $2,000

year??? E34 528i, $2,500

1993 Miata, $3,400. Was $3,800 earlier today...

Edit:

Dude... that 90 E30 is a bargain... GET IT

Zoolader

Knowing someone with a first gen Miata that has a custom exhaust and turbo kit and how much fun it is, that car would get my vote.

It was really clean inside and out, and already had a hardtop. The ad is deleted now though and I never heard back so I guess he sold it.
edit: Now the ad is back up. Hopefully I'll get to see the Miata tomorrow along with the e36.

Dude... that 90 E30 is a bargain... GET IT

I misread the ad before. That black car is actually a 320is that was produced for the Italian and Portugal markets. It has the S14B20 engine, so even more of a bargain I think. I'm waiting to hear back from him. The ad has been up two weeks so I'm expecting it to be gone by now.

I'm looking at the e36 328is tomorrow since that guy got back to me. Also found a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel that I'm trying to pick up as well.

The video is finally up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR1l-ZNx-6E

I'm surprised everyone's drooling over that Miura. The owner literally showed up at the last hour of the show and you can see how everyone was crowding it so I couldn't really get up close to get some excellent pics. I'll definitely get some more pics next month if it shows up.

Looks like all those pictures are at the Cars and Coffee in Dallas. Hopefully will be there out there next month with my new Shelby.

It is indeed in Dallas, specifically Classic BMW on the DNT and Spring Creek.

I'll definitely be up there next month so lemme know if you are, I'll find you and get some good shots of your Shelby.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My son was born this morning. Been great. He's been pretty chill too, only crying when he had his bath. Basically just wants to sleep lol.

The hunt for a SUV restarts this weekend. He came early and we expected to use this weekend to finalize everything, but NOPE.

Congrats homie!

Donos

Sorry to interruptt the supercar talk with my peasant post. We are going to get a used family car soon (germany). Up to 10.000 €, max 100.000 km (60k miles), not older than 2005, HP between at least 100 - 150 (to not crawl when under full vacation load). We can afford a more expensive car but we want to buy one "cash" without financing / credit loan.
Going on a 1 month trip to Scandinavia later this year and instead of renting one we said "fuck it".

So far good candidates with most offerings around here are (all station wagon):
  • VW Passat Variant (a lot of good offers around here)
  • VW Golf Variant
  • Toyota Avensis
  • Skoda Octavia (don't really like the pre 2013 models)
  • Volvo V50
Most of them ...

We said "fuk it" to buying a used car with already 100k km on the clock and are now going to build a new Skoda Fabia (Ambition) Station Wagon. EU import so we save around 4k € compared to ordering at a normal skoda vendor here. 110 hp with DCT (automatic).
Wait for it is going to kill me.

Same color, other rims:

TheRealGrampa

Neo Member
Awesome! Supercharged? I heard that the cooling flush is tricky and critical on these. Also look out for rust under the lower body work, especially in front of the rear wheels, leaves and stuff can collect in there over time.

None supercharged unfortunately, really wanted one but the insurance was silly money. Yeah I'll be sure to check those areas out, been doing my research on the usual issues, the joys of a 27 year old car!

Evo X

Went on an impromptu drive to Mt. Baldy yesterday and it was a fantastic decision!

I felt like I was in Forza Horizon 2.

Pictures do not do justice to the immense scale and atmosphere of this place. It was non stop gorgeous scenery around every bend. No cops the whole way up or down and barely any traffic. The few cars that were there graciously moved over to the side and let me pass when they saw me coming.

UnWM8i1.jpg

n23XoHo.jpg

3l6uUkN.jpg

571y0zD.jpg

Went on an impromptu drive to Mt. Baldy yesterday and it was a fantastic decision!

Pictures do not so justice to the immense scale and atmosphere of this place. It was non stop gorgeous scenery around every bend. No cops the whole way up or down and barely any traffic. The few cars that were there graciously moved over to the side and let me pass when they saw me coming.

God you suck sometimes.

/jealous

matmanx1

Picking up my first car at the weekend!
FehlfH6.jpg

Nice, I dig it! For some unknown reason the sight of any MR2 makes me irrationally happy. It doesn't matter the generation or bodystyle, I like them all (although the 2nd gen is my personal favorite). I saw one of the last gen MR2 Spyder's today at a local car lot and had the exact same reaction. They are just cool, fun cars.

Pictures do not do justice to the immense scale and atmosphere of this place. It was non stop gorgeous scenery around every bend. No cops the whole way up or down and barely any traffic. The few cars that were there graciously moved over to the side and let me pass when they saw me coming.

UnWM8i1.jpg

n23XoHo.jpg

3l6uUkN.jpg

571y0zD.jpg

DAYAM!! thats amazing!! soo jealous....plus you got the perfect car..

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Powdery yellow/green shit all over the place. That's south florida for you

It was the same in NYC. All of March-May that shit penetrated my garage and covered my Z. My Black Cherry looked green within 24 hours of a clean. :mad:

We said "fuk it" to buying a used car with already 100k km on the clock and are now going to build a new Skoda Fabia (Ambition) Station Wagon. EU import so we save around 4k € compared to ordering at a normal skoda vendor here. 110 hp with DCT (automatic).
Wait for it is going to kill me.

Same color, other rims:

Good choice, congrats!

571y0zD.jpg

Makes me wish the Netherlands weren't so goddamn flat.

matmanx1

UnWM8i1.jpg

n23XoHo.jpg

3l6uUkN.jpg

571y0zD.jpg

I need scenery like this close by my house. And a car like that one too! =)

Flo_Evans

Yay! my kid got into the magnet school... now to seriously shop for a new car!

I am still on the fence. I really want a coupe/sports car. Not very practical with 2 kids though. Already have a crossover/SUV though (mazda cx7 AWD turbo) the problem is towing... the little 4cyl turbo just doesn't have the grunt. I want to be able to tow a camper, motorcycle trailer, maybe a small boat at some point!

I can't decide if I should get a 4runner or what. They seem expensive. Kind of excessive to drive by myself to work everyday. Gas is cheap now but who knows how expensive it will be.

M235i - even more expensive... probably get me in trouble with the law more often. Could always get the normal version.

Old cayman/911 - super impractical, couldn't fit a car seat if I tried... anything under $50k is 10 years old.

BRZ - cheap, slow.

wildcard: New entry level tesla? My commute is 20 miles a day so an EV could actually work quite well. I would probably have to upgrade electric in garage but thats doable.

Heres the thing, I'm primarily a motorcycle rider. A sports car is fun but not really that fun on a commute, if I am going for a pleasure drive on some twisties I would rather take the bike. I could buy a new bike that for half the price would blow the doors of any of the sports cars I can actually afford.

Thats why I am kid of still leaning towards BRZ. Its cheap enough that I could trade the Cx7 for a better SUV later when/if I actually need it. Its not super fast but its going to spend most of its life in traffic.

edit: damn you Evo X. I need to ditch these wife and kids or make some more money ;_;

Tesla, dude. If you can wait 12-18 months or whatever. But (and I'm hoping) it's going to be such a sweet car.

Have there been any leaked pictures or renders or anything of the newest Tesla yet? I hope it would look better than the godawful Model X, that thing has the proportions of a Pontiac Aztek.

Have there been any leaked pictures or renders or anything of the newest Tesla yet? I hope it would look better than the godawful Model X, that thing has the proportions of a Pontiac Aztek.
I don't think there are any pictures or anything. Most people are guessing it'll look like a smaller Model S, which would be sweet.

mkenyon

Banned

I am still on the fence. I really want a coupe/sports car. Not very practical with 2 kids though. Already have a crossover/SUV though (mazda cx7 AWD turbo) the problem is towing... the little 4cyl turbo just doesn't have the grunt. I want to be able to tow a camper, motorcycle trailer, maybe a small boat at some point!

I can't decide if I should get a 4runner or what. They seem expensive. Kind of excessive to drive by myself to work everyday. Gas is cheap now but who knows how expensive it will be.

M235i - even more expensive... probably get me in trouble with the law more often. Could always get the normal version.

Old cayman/911 - super impractical, couldn't fit a car seat if I tried... anything under $50k is 10 years old.

BRZ - cheap, slow.

wildcard: New entry level tesla? My commute is 20 miles a day so an EV could actually work quite well. I would probably have to upgrade electric in garage but thats doable.

Heres the thing, I'm primarily a motorcycle rider. A sports car is fun but not really that fun on a commute, if I am going for a pleasure drive on some twisties I would rather take the bike. I could buy a new bike that for half the price would blow the doors of any of the sports cars I can actually afford.

Thats why I am kid of still leaning towards BRZ. Its cheap enough that I could trade the Cx7 for a better SUV later when/if I actually need it. Its not super fast but its going to spend most of its life in traffic.

edit: damn you Evo X. I need to ditch these wife and kids or make some more money ;_;
Colorado Diesel.

Great MPG. Comfy for commutes. Hauls extremely well. Put your bike in the back and take it somewhere fun.

matmanx1

A little shameless self plug within an extremely cool car video. I sell commercial flooring for a living and the folks behind "Street Dreams" called me up and were looking for a designer carpet tile/square to put underneath their show car. I coordinated a sponsorship with them and this video mainly shows their ridiculously cool car but also shows our tile under the car itself.

Click to watch the most crazy, ridiculous Saturn Ion that you have ever seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPV1BiqHtfQ

I fit two daughters in the FR-S all the time, but that's one behind the other, and those times will come to an end soon (they are 10 and 13).

If your two both have to be in rear seats it's absolutely a no-go. The seat behind the driver is worthless.

UnWM8i1.jpg

n23XoHo.jpg

3l6uUkN.jpg

571y0zD.jpg

Amazing. I wish I got views and roads like that within 2 hours from Houston. Roads in this place is as flat and plain as you could get.

matmanx1

BRZ - cheap, slow.

Well, after looking into truck/SUV things for the better part of a month I can safely say that the Lexus GX would be my choice for that. 4Runner frame but you get the V8 motor, a higher towing capacity, full time 4WD and a much, much nicer interior. And they last forever, if properly maintained.

As far as the sports coupe/car goes, the 1 series BMW's fit 4 real people very nicely and a used 135i would be a lot cheaper than a new 235i and still have most of the performance.

Flo_Evans

I fit two daughters in the FR-S all the time, but that's one behind the other, and those times will come to an end soon (they are 10 and 13).

If your two both have to be in rear seats it's absolutely a no-go. The seat behind the driver is worthless.

They are 3 and 5 but they really haven't been in my car like ever. We pretty much take the cx7 everywhere as a family. The car I am replacing pretty much only gets driven to work, or if we go out and want to take an uber home.

It would be interesting to see if all 4 of us could fit in a pinch.

So you know, there are absolutely car seats that fit in 996s and 997s, and you can fit in the backseat comfortably up to about 5' tall.

Not that you'd want to be back there for more than 30 minutes whatever size you are.

Flo_Evans

I'm just not sure I want to replace my old car with an older one.

My sister has an old Cayman and it's just kind of beat.

I can probably go up to 40k but that's pushing it, I would much rather spend 20 and have money for track tires, kids, vacations, ect. Being an adult sucks. I can finally afford my dream car but now my priorities have shifted. Next thing you know I will be looking at mini vans.

Evo X

God you suck sometimes.

/jealous

lol. I only get to do this kind of stuff once in a while. My real life is nowhere near as glamorous as the things I share online. Mostly consists of sitting in front of a PC and coding.

Why do you have a M3 plate frame on your Cayman? Is it an inside joke or something?

I had it lying around my garage from my old M3 and thought it looked better than the dealer plate. Also, I like trolling people.

DAYAM!! thats amazing!! soo jealous....plus you got the perfect car..

Yeah, it was amazing lighting that day. Overcast days are pretty rare in SoCal. The Cayman is perfectly balanced for the fast switchbacks.

Makes me wish the Netherlands weren't so goddamn flat.

You live in Europe man! Home to the greatest driving roads in the world. Take a day trip out to Stelvio Pass, Col de Turini or the Nurburgring.

Shiiieeet at these Evo pictures. Would be fun to ride there no matter the car.

Definitely. I think I'd be just as happy on those roads in a 15 year old S2000.

I need scenery like this close by my house. And a car like that one too! =)

The biggest perk of living in SoCal by far. Which is why they fuck you on taxes and expenses.

damn you Evo X. I need to ditch these wife and kids or make some more money ;_;

lol. I've definitely been enjoying my pre-family time, although not sure how long that will last as I'm 27 now and need to start taking life more sertiously.

On your other note, you can pick up a clean 2009+ 987.2 Cayman S within your $40K budget. Those come with the upgraded lights, interior/tech, and 3.4L motor from the 911. Fantastic 6spd gearbox and very reliable.

Amazing. I wish I got views and roads like that within 2 hours from Houston. Roads in this place is as flat and plain as you could get.

Trust me, I know how that feels. I lived 90% of my life in the Midwest.

Top Bottom