• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

SliChillax

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsch...sche-cayman-gt4-to-stick-with-flat-six-engine

The GT4 is likely to remain the most potent Cayman, too. Preuninger admitted that Porsche’s engineers were “tempted” to build a GT4 RS edition but said, “The problem with that is that you end up with a car where you need to charge the same as a GT3 RS, so there’s no point. It’s not in the plan.”

They also denied a Cayman GT4 before it came out because but here we are.

matmanx1

Hey guys,

I have a question. Is there a way to outright buy a car without financing it and get a decent deal on it? I'm deciding on a new WRX (because the price difference between new and used is really small) and my mom said she wants to pay for it all and have me pay her back instead of the dealership/bank to avoid the interest. My friend said that I could say I'm going to be financing the car for X years but when the first bill comes in, I write a check for the entire car or the remaining balance. How often are there prepayment penalties if that's the case?
This would be the first time buying a car so I don't know much. Please enlighten me.

Side question: How hard would it be to learn how to drive manual in a WRX? I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to and I get the general idea, but ultimately I would have to do it in person to fully understand. None of my friends have MT cars. Maybe my google-fu sucks, but there doesn't seem to be any (good) driving schools in my area (Western part of Queens in NYC) that teaches MT.

I'm not sure what the benefit would be to taking out a loan to finance the car and then immediately paying it back. You would essentially be loosing 2.9% or whatever the interest rate is since that is charged immediately and then payed back over the life the car.

If your mom has the cash on hand then just buy it outright. WRX's hold their value so well that you would have an absolute ton of equity in it which is a great place to be with an automobile.

Stick shift isn't tough to learn. Clutch modulation is the trickiest part. Learning where the clutch "bites" just takes a little bit of time. The actual rowing of gears is extremely easy. I love rowing my own gears and the manual transmission in the WRX is definitely superior to the CVT automatic. I would go for it.

Smokey

I'd keep the GTS Evo. 40k for what is essentially a track version of your car...it's not like the GTS is trash. I'd keep it and save up for a true leap like you mentioned.

SliChillax

Does anyone here live in the UK? I wanna know if I'm able to take my car from my country (Albania) and keep it in thr UK with Albanian plates. I've only heard about a 6 month limit and that's not a problem since I travel to Amsterdam often.

mkenyon

Banned
Evo, I don't know what your financials are, so of course take this with a grain of salt.

But very few people are in a position to be able to buy a car that will not only retain its value, but likely increase in value over time. The GT4 is one of those cars.

Beyond that, you get all the GT4 benefits. A manual. A fkn manual man.
I just flat out don't like the styling of the Camaro. Just doesn't resonate with me.
Same. Way too busy and gaudy.

Evo, I don't know what your financials are, so of course take this with a grain of salt.

But very few people are in a position to be able to buy a car that will not only retain its value, but likely increase in value over time. The GT4 is one of those cars.

Beyond that, you get all the GT4 benefits. A manual. A fkn manual man.

Same. Way too busy and gaudy.

Hmmm....but if you want to retain or increase its value then you need to keep the mileage low. So whats the point of that?

People who buy cars base for "investment" possibility, typically make the car a garage queen. I believe no car is an investment(only rare circumstance)

Chocobro

If you negotiate the *price* of the car it shouldn't matter how you finance it. Nearly all loans nowadays don't have prepayment penalties, but you won't be helping your credit much by taking out a loan and then immediately paying it off. If your credit is good Subaru is offering 2.9% on WRXes, and your bank/CU may be able to do better. With interest near zero it may be better for your mother to put that money into an investment.

WRX is smoother than many cars but the clutch is a wear item, and if you toast it getting one replaced on any Subaru isn't trivial.

I'm not sure what the benefit would be to taking out a loan to finance the car and then immediately paying it back. You would essentially be loosing 2.9% or whatever the interest rate is since that is charged immediately and then payed back over the life the car.

If your mom has the cash on hand then just buy it outright. WRX's hold their value so well that you would have an absolute ton of equity in it which is a great place to be with an automobile.

Stick shift isn't tough to learn. Clutch modulation is the trickiest part. Learning where the clutch "bites" just takes a little bit of time. The actual rowing of gears is extremely easy. I love rowing my own gears and the manual transmission in the WRX is definitely superior to the CVT automatic. I would go for it.

Thanks for the response you two.

So would I just discuss with the dealership about the *final* price, which includes all the fees, taxes, etc., and go with whatever payment I choose?
May you elaborate what clutch modulation is? "Learning where the clutch "bites" just takes a little bit of time." sounds like the friction point, is that right?

I've never heard of a front-loaded car loan, though I'm sure they're out there. 99% of them are simple-interest loans where the interest is calculated daily, so if you pay it off early, you'll only pay the amount of interest in relation to the actual length of time borrowed. I do this a lot since you don't qualify for rebates usually unless you finance.

Some dealers offer discounts for doing this. (Mine offered around an $800 discount if I financed through them vs paying in cash/finance elsewhere).

Also, if you take the loan and pay it off after the first installment, you will be out (loan amount) x (0.029/12) and not the full interest. (Unless you sign some very non standard terms).

Flo_Evans

ugh

Buy a BRZ now for $20k or wait and get a 2 series...

2 series is hands down a "better" daily driver. BRZ arguably a more pure sports car.

Easy to add power to BRZ, hard to improve handling on 2 series (or plop down more $$$ for m235, track suspension...) tough to find 2 in manual but the auto is GOAT?

Every time I sit behind the wheel of a BRZ I just go "yes" outside of a porsche it is very difficult to get that feeling... yet the 2 series "fixes" pretty much every negative of the BRZ better (useable) backseat, more power, comfort, class? It really only loses on the track (not times, feel) and price, aftermarket mods.

I am probably overthinking it - need to schedule a back to back test drive.

So would I just discuss with the dealership about the *final* price, which includes all the fees, taxes, etc., and go with whatever payment I choose?

If you can, yes. The dealer we use advertises their prices up front on all of their Subarus no matter how you finance them (and they're 1-3k below sticker), so that makes it easier. But like mentioned above, some dealers will cut you a better deal if you finance through them. Keep in mind that the dealer is getting something out of it too - the interest rate you're paying is going to be marked up and some of that goes back into the dealer's pocket from the bank.

matmanx1

I've never heard of a front-loaded car loan, though I'm sure they're out there. 99% of them are simple-interest loans where the interest is calculated daily, so if you pay it off early, you'll only pay the amount of interest in relation to the actual length of time borrowed. I do this a lot since you don't qualify for rebates usually unless you finance.

A simple add-on interest loan is one in which the entire interest amount is calculated at the time of sale and divided among the entire payback period. Paying one of those off early does not give you any benefit, you still pay the entire amount. So it certainly depends on the type of loan and some are structured as simple add-on interest instead of just simple interest.

But yes, on a simple interest loan, paying it off early is a good thing!

FStop7

Banned
A simple add-on interest loan is one in which the entire interest amount is calculated at the time of sale and divided among the entire payback period. Paying one of those off early does not give you any benefit, you still pay the entire amount. So it certainly depends on the type of loan and some are structured as simple add-on interest instead of just simple interest.

But yes, on a simple interest loan, paying it off early is a good thing!

In 20+ years of buying cars I've never heard of such a loan. That would be a terrible ripoff.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
In 20+ years of buying cars I've never heard of such a loan. That would be a terrible ripoff.

He's right. They exist. Usually for those who are difficult to qualify.

In fact, at one point they were more common than simple interest loans because 'reasons'.

AlphaSnake

Welcome home, Pierce, you devilishly handsome Brit.

rp2nTmp.jpg

hs0SOMv.jpg

K5FG4Ao.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Looks fuckin fantastic Alpha!
Hmmm....but if you want to retain or increase its value then you need to keep the mileage low. So whats the point of that?

People who buy cars base for "investment" possibility, typically make the car a garage queen. I believe no car is an investment(only rare circumstance)
IIRC, he doesn't put a lot of miles on his car as he works from home.

Even with miles on it, it'll retain value better than most cars.

I just see no real downside, as that $$ difference between the GTS and GT4 would likely remain in the car when it comes time for an upgrade. At least most of it.

AlphaSnake

Looks fuckin fantastic Alpha!

IIRC, he doesn't put a lot of miles on his car as he works from home.

Even with miles on it, it'll retain value better than most cars.

I just see no real downside, as that $$ difference between the GTS and GT4 would likely remain in the car when it comes time for an upgrade. At least most of it.

Love it in white, good stuff. Enjoy it!

Yep. The white just really nails home the classy af look.

Yep. Great look. Any interior shots?

You'll have to wait for him to clean the jizz from driving that hotness.

White interior too, then.

LMAO.

Guys...guys...I can start, stop, lock, unlock, and track location of my car via the Jaguar Android app. This is so cool. Thanks everyone for the words! I'll take some interior pics, but not sure how great they'll come out. It's great looking place to be. Everything functions great and the layout is spot on.

AlphaSnake is an equal opportunity car enthusiast. Hashtag ebony&ivory:
SvV7QwA.jpg

Evo X

Congrats on the JAAAAAAGG Alpha. Looks great in white.

This totally reminds me of Driveclub lol.

Wow, that Driveclub comparison is uncanny! The camera angle and scenery is so similar. Haha, what a coincidence.

hmmm that is actually a very tough decision.

If I were in your shoes, I'll probably go for the gt4....BUT there is no denying that 40k is alot..

GT4 is very appealing but once I have it, I will start lusting for something else, something better and there will always be something better....if I have a gt4 i'll probably lust after a 997.2 GT3RS...and then the never ending cycle continues....

So I'll probably not...and plus..40k is a whole lot of money..

um yeah...you have a really tough decision..

Yeah, ultimate first world problems. You have to consider yourself extremely lucky if this is a tough decision you have to make in life.

But I absolutely DO NOT want anyone to get the impression on this forum that I am rich and can just buy or do whatever the fuck I want. At this point, especially with all the cash I've invested in new business ventures lately, $40K comes with a lot of opportunity cost that I have to consider. I work very hard and stupidly spend a lot of money on cars, motorcycles, and traveling, but they are not decisions I make lightly.

Haha, a tough decision? Really?

Unless you've got money to blow (and I mean fucking mountains of it) then sure, go for it. But if 40 thousand fucking dollars still hold some significance for you, then no, I'd keep the GTS and be very pleased with it.

Yeah, I've really grown close to the GTS after this trip. It's breadth of abilities is astonishing.

Might be a 40k changeover now but maybe the rarity will cause the price to increase when you do want to trade up next?

The more I learn of Porsche's plans, the more I am starting to think that the GT4 will not appreciate in the long run. Back when I placed my deposit over a year ago, the 911 GT3 was PDK only, so 6SPD manual was something special, and the mid-engined cars were going to 4 cylinder turbos.

Now, Porsche announced the 911R and said the next GT3 will be available in manual. Not only that, but I am almost 100% certain there will be a second revision of the GT4, which will increase overall supply in the market. That kind of takes the winds out of the GT4's sails a bit.

Still, it is a fantastic car and a bargain at MSRP. I would have 100% bought it in an instant had I the opportunity to get one last year as I had originally planned. But that was before I bought my GTS. Now, I am losing $20K on the GTS due to taxes and first year depreciation after only having driven it a few months, and having to pay nearly $10K in taxes again on the new GT4.

I'd keep the GTS Evo. 40k for what is essentially a track version of your car...it's not like the GTS is trash. I'd keep it and save up for a true leap like you mentioned.

Yeah, the way the pre-owned McLaren market has been going, a used 650S could be the supercar bargain of a lifetime in a few years. Something of that caliber is just worlds apart from a GT4.

Exactly! As you guys can probably tell, I drive the shit out of my cars whenever I get the chance. Having nice cars being babied and collecting dust in the garage is one of the saddest things ever.

I take exceedingly good car of them in terms of maintenance and detailing, but ever since I got my license, I vowed to always be a DRIVER, not a COLLECTOR.

It was that way when I had a $30K Evo, it's the same with a $100K Porsche, and I promise it will still be the same when I have a $300K Ferrari or a $1 Million hypercar.

burgerdog

LMAO.

Guys...guys...I can start, stop, lock, unlock, and track location of my car via the Jaguar Android app. This is so cool. Thanks everyone for the words! I'll take some interior pics, but not sure how great they'll come out. It's great looking place to be. Everything functions great and the layout is spot on.

AlphaSnake is an equal opportunity car enthusiast. Hashtag ebony&ivory:
SvV7QwA.jpg

The app integration is awesome! Can't wait to get pics of dat interior.

Lucius86

Banned
Welcome home, Pierce, you devilishly handsome Brit.

I got a call from my Jag dealer yesterday, my XF has just been built and is being delivered to my dealership at some point next week. Should be in my hands the week after.

#jelly

It looks brilliant in white, enjoy!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_m1f6v2STDC1rppb1ko1_500.gif

Great news guys!

The Scion FR-S will finally be called Toyota 86 here in the US!

I saw this post on Twitter when I woke up and got super excited but nope. Thanks for the awesome start to my morning Toyota!

Only a few years until US Toyota 86 owners are replacing their car's badges with Scion and FR-S branding.

But, glad that Toyota fixed their mistake ahead of time.

matmanx1

Great news guys!

It's also getting an increase in HP and torque... a grand extra of 5(yes, FIVE, F-I-V-E) hp and ft-lb of torques.

rBQf.gif

http://jalopnik.com/the-scion-fr-s-is-now-the-toyota-86-like-it-should-have-1765447611

I saw this post on Twitter when I woke up and got super excited but nope. Thanks for the awesome start to my morning Toyota!

Hey that's really cool. Moreso the name change than the HP and Torque bump but I totally dig Toyota 86. Nice going, Toyota.

Flo_Evans

Not as impressive as AlphaSnake'a pickup but I said fuck it and bought a BRZ!

p3Wy74t.jpg

perfect timing lol at least the new one isn't that different. It has a catback already so I am just gonna call that +5hp lol.

AlphaSnake

Congrats on the JAAAAAAGG Alpha. Looks great in white.

The app integration is awesome! Can't wait to get pics of dat interior.

Looks amazing Alpha, enjoy it!

Excellent - congratulations.

Thank you! I'm definitely loving it so far. My wife took the car today to work.

I got a call from my Jag dealer yesterday, my XF has just been built and is being delivered to my dealership at some point next week. Should be in my hands the week after.

#jelly

It looks brilliant in white, enjoy!

Congrats to you too!

Great news guys!

It's also getting an increase in HP and torque... a grand extra of 5(yes, FIVE, F-I-V-E) hp and ft-lb of torques.

rBQf.gif

http://jalopnik.com/the-scion-fr-s-is-now-the-toyota-86-like-it-should-have-1765447611

Are they changing the front fascia? It looks like it melted in the sun a little bit.

Also, I absolutely love the use of the phrase "torques". I don't know why but I do.

I think Clarkson popularized by claiming he "has more torques". LOL.

SliChillax

Great news guys!

rBQf.gif

Looks like an ugly aftermarket kit, not an oem facelift. Also why even bother for 5hp.

It gets better on the inside! (not really)

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/cmi4ncw.jpg?1[/IMG]

I'm glad they're revising the gear ratios as well. Other than that, complete hack job.

That shitty nav system doesn't even deserve steering wheel controls. Should have put the cruise controls on there instead.

I was never a fan of the GT86 name. The whole chassis code as nickname thing was always just a dumb way to flex your nerd cred by showing you know some esoteric information. It loses the point to use that as an official name. And it's strange that they're changing the name to 86 but taking off the 86 boxer badge. But I like the new front fascia and I might finally be able to get a new car soon thanks to a new job and a tired Impreza, so hey I might be in a Toyota dealership this fall.

Edit: oh man this would have been the perfect opportunity to rename it the Celica

Flo_Evans

Ah been too long since I drove a manual. Going to have to put some miles on to get back proficiency. :)

Might do an auto-x this weekend :) or maybe just some favorite motorcycle roads.

AlphaSnake

Separate post regarding update of my M56S and M235i switch:

I spent a few hours in an F-Type yesterday while waiting for my XF to be fully prepared. And I intentionally chose a base model with 340HP. Why? Well...

I'm thinking of passing up the M235i. I just can't see myself going from an M56S to a 2-series. My heart is truly set on one car and one car only. I've been doing a lot of research into tuning these new Jags and it's very possible I'll end up in a base 2017 F-Type. The invoice on 2017 base model F-Types will be around $59K - and these cars come loaded with Nav, Meridian 770W Audio, Variable Exhaust mode, In-Control App, Bi-xenons w/LEDs, Leather, Dual Zone Climate, and others.

The 340HP is a simple inexpensive flash away from being 380HP... it takes 20 minutes to do and essentially unlocks the car's power reserved for the V6S model. My Jag dealership regularly does software flashes on 340HP models and even fits some of them with exhausts and aftermarket hi-flow cats by Velocity Automotive Performance. The base model is also the lightest of the cars weighing only 3450lbs (they have removed the standard glass panoramic roof, which improves integrity and top mass). It lacks a proper LSD, but it does still employ torque-vectoring by braking, and if that's good enough for McLaren on a P1, that's good enough for an F-Type.

It only comes with 18s, which I'll quickly replace with something else. But at least it offers red as a standard no option color! Also, the black car I drove all afternoon yesterday broke so much neck, it was incredible. Definitely tinting this car if I get it. I was pleasantly surprised by the base model and I actually reaaallly liked the standard seats with the Suedecloth center inserts between the leather of the seats.

Anyway, back to power, the tuning world is opening up for these cars and Velocity has base F-Types making 410HP with just a tune + CATs running conservative maps. That's plenty of power for me, especially considering that the base model is 700lbs lighter than the F-Type R and is also RWD, unlike the R which is AWD only now. I'm thinking I'm on to something here.

Top Bottom