• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Hesemonni

Banned
I've been contemplating on buying a 4 seated convertible for quite a while now. Never owned one and don't exactly plan on investing too much in it. It's just for summertime use and as sort of a hobby car. I kinda narrowed it down to either Audi A4, BMW 3-series or MB CLK. The usual suspects.

Now, the more and more I think of it the following car makes the most sense.

BMW 330 '02.
108 000 km
Manual transmission
M-sport Individiual
1 owner and serviced accordingly

The only thing I'm not too keen about are the rims, but I could live with them for the time being. E93s have a higher price tag and are basically out of my current budget. Would love the hardtop though.

Ty4on

Found a good deal on an Aventador. Just some minor damage. Should buff right out.
s-l1600.jpg

Facinating how cleanly some mid engined super cars split in half. The front part from the last image almost looks like it was meant to come off like that if you took out some bolts.

SliChillax

Facinating how cleanly some mid engined super cars split in half. The front part from the last image almost looks like it was meant to come off like that if you took out some bolts.

They are supposed to split in half. It lessens the energy of the impact. The carbon monocoque stays intact while the rest of the car splits up. There are usually like 7 magnesium bolts if I'm not mistaken holding the rear of the car to the monocoque.

Yeah, but what's the point if 99% of Porsche fans won't even be given the chance to buy one? They need to stop with all of these ultra limited marked up BS cars. They're starting to turn into Ferrari and I don't mean that in a good way.

That's what I implied when I first talked about the 911R but I got attacked and made fun of by being called a BMW fanboy.

lem0n

I've been contemplating on buying a 4 seated convertible for quite a while now. Never owned one and don't exactly plan on investing too much in it. It's just for summertime use and as sort of a hobby car. I kinda narrowed it down to either Audi A4, BMW 3-series or MB CLK. The usual suspects.

BMW 330 '02.
108 000 km
Manual transmission
M-sport Individiual

The only thing I'm not too keen about are the rims, but I could live with them for the time being. E93s have a higher price tag and are basically out of my current budget. Would love the hardtop though.

Best car of those choices, easily. If you're gonna have a hobby car, might as well pick the one that's good to drive :)

paskowitz

Just got word from a Porsche dealer. They are selling their VIP 911R allocation for $250K above sticker.

Jesus Christ. Porsche marketing strikes once again. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Seems buying a 918 Spyder was one of the wisest investments one could have made. Not only has it's own value skyrocketed, but the VIP program means the car basically paid for itself.

Crazy. Can't wait to ask Porsche about this at the NYIAS...

DarkestHour

Banned
I'm torn guys. I have an allocation for the Focus RS and with all the delays I am having second thoughts on shelling out $42k USD for a Focus. I already have an ST which was pushing 400whp+ at one point but I have returned it back to stock in preparation for the RS.

I am falling in love with the Mustang GT with Performance Pack and outside of AWD and four doors seems like the better car to get especially with how good it looks, flex fuel calibrations, and getting back in a throaty V8.

I have a family car already so four doors isn't a requirement but AWD would be nice for the winters here.

I can get in a fully loaded GT PP for $38K minus the Recaro seats.

What do you guys think?

lem0n

I'm torn guys. I have an allocation for the Focus RS and with all the delays I am having second thoughts on shelling out $42k USD for a Focus. I already have an ST which was pushing 400whp+ at one point but I have returned it back to stock in preparation for the RS.

I am falling in love with the Mustang GT with Performance Pack and outside of AWD and four doors seems like the better car to get especially with how good it looks, flex fuel calibrations, and getting back in a throaty V8.

I have a family car already so four doors isn't a requirement but AWD would be nice for the winters here.

What do you guys think?

If you hadn't already done the high-powered Focus thing, I'd say stick with the RS. It will be a very special car, and undoubtedly very good. But, I believe that the GT will be more fun, more of the time. It will also sound nicer. More aftermarket. The RS is also shaping up to be very special which means I would personally have a hard time daily driving one. It's almost collector-status, in my eyes. The GT you wouldn't have to worry so much about.

There's a reason I didn't get the ND Miata last year, and it's because it was so similar to my NA. I didn't want to buy the same car twice. Get the Mustang out of your system, and enjoy a big throaty V8 for a while. You probably won't go back. The fact you had an ST that made 400+ HP means you yearned for more muscle. Well, here you go! Now's your chance.

Makki

What do you guys think?

Ford does at least 2 years of special edition cars. Honestly, I dont think they need to make the RS something as "exclusive" as it currently is, it has a place in the market to compete with the STI and the Golf R, and I really hope this is a limited run for first year of production only because they cant get their shit together (I keep reading about issues with emissions or overheating diffs as reasons for delays). I wouldn't sweat too much about giving up the allocation, if you really want a car like this later down the line get an STI hatch.

acksman

Finally got Suntek clear bra put on most of my car and was able to take it out and have some fun this weekend. Good gosh this car is so fun to drive. Ford did an outstanding job in putting together a real race car to go up against Porsche, BMW. The high end rpms are just begging for me to put my foot into the pedal. The handling is a dream and so tight.

F4dHkxC.jpg

6XFjRWc.jpg

Smokey

I was really considering a GT4, but I've already had my "drivers car" filled with the type R and NSX. I think it would have been a waste for me. I was more drawn to the collectivity aspect of it...which wasn't my style. It was never a dream car...

I was also considering the new NSX...but I'm too poor for that, and It doesn't look so exciting..

Pardon?
Did you just say you're too poor yet you in a Lambo?

shin pls

Evo X

What do you guys think?

I would personally go for the Focus RS. I didn't really enjoy driving the Mustang GT. Felt too heavy and big. The RS is going to be much more exclusive as well. It will be easy to get more power out of it, and the handling will be better than the ST due to AWD.

Finally got Suntek clear bra put on most of my car and was able to take it out and have some fun this weekend. Good gosh this car is so fun to drive. Ford did an outstanding job in putting together a real race car to go up against Porsche, BMW. The high end rpms are just begging for me to put my foot into the pedal. The handling is a dream and so tight.

Damn, that looks hot! I'm really itching to drive this car as it seems to be so far removed from every other Mustang that came before it.

If you don't mind me asking, were you able to score one at MSRP?

lem0n

F4dHkxC.jpg

6XFjRWc.jpg

I got a ride in a GT350 on a hotlap at Barrett Jackson this year. It's been about 2 months and I'm still shaking from that adrenaline. What a machine!

acksman

I would personally go for the Focus RS. I didn't really enjoy driving the Mustang GT. Felt too heavy and big. The RS is going to be much more exclusive as well. It will be easy to get more power out of it, and the handling will be better than the ST due to AWD.

Damn, that looks hot! I'm really itching to drive this car as it seems to be so far removed from every other Mustang that came before it.

If you don't mind me asking, were you able to score one at MSRP?

No I had to pay 7k over. I wanted this exact color and stripes to match this that I am getting restored :) (which is my first car from High School)

EgZupd3.jpg

QLLk7aq.jpg

What do you guys think?

I would totally go for the focus. Sure, it is a lot for a focus, but it seems worth it for the fun factor, and for being unique.

Plus, they're not going to stop making the mustang any time soon, so you can easily get one at a later date.

Anion

F4dHkxC.jpg

6XFjRWc.jpg
That's a beauty man. I'm sure your enjoying it haha

Also, how did you like the suntek bra/shield? Is it visible on red?

matmanx1

xi4wUxl.jpg

Spent some quality time with the BRZ today (and my sister :p)

Went to watch the http://www.100aw.org rally, good times. Not for this guy though O_O

A good 300 miles on some quality roads and I think me and the clutch are starting to understand each other in this car.

7NNpLcl.jpg

:)

Nice! Road trips in a new automobile are a great way to bond with the machine. I'm doing one myself next weekend and will have details soon.

BMW 330 '02.
108 000 km
Manual transmission
M-sport Individiual

Yeah, definitely the BMW is the most fun to drive and is probably tied in interior space for people with the A4. That would be my pick also.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like you might be able to relax a little bit and enjoy the Mustang more but then again you don't want to regret giving up the Focus. Why not wait til it arrives and drive both and see if the Mustang still speaks to you after you've given the Focus a good test drive?

acksman

That's a beauty man. I'm sure your enjoying it haha

Also, how did you like the suntek bra/shield? Is it visible on red?

Not unless you get very close. It also makes it more glossy. There is another brand Xpel, but it is a bit thicker. My installer did a great job on it. That is really the main difference. I did the front clip, full hood and fenders. Also did the complete doors.

Next I will be doing Cquartz over the entire car this weekend. That will give it a nice hard shell and I won't have to wax for a couple of years.

SliChillax

genuinely interested what makes you think this. Any info/links?

Turbocharged engines are easier to get more power out of.

Something weird happened a few months ago but I just thought I'd share and it's embarrassing for a BMW. The right exhaust tip just fell out and unfortunately don't know where so I was left with an ugly looking tip. I quickly replaced them both as a temporary solution and boys at the shop removed the left tip easily without any force. BMW doesn't even weld these tips the are just kept in with some kind of clamp whatever it's called. The new tips are just temporary but I think I like them more than the stock ones.
uAoCUmi.jpg

C6Qh3oz.jpg

Bandit1

F4dHkxC.jpg

6XFjRWc.jpg

No I had to pay 7k over. I wanted this exact color and stripes to match this that I am getting restored :) (which is my first car from High School)

EgZupd3.jpg

QLLk7aq.jpg

That Shelby is awesome man, looks great in red/white stripes, enjoy it! Love the truck too, what's going in for motor/trans?

Evo X

Does anyone have recommendations for fun to drive/slightly luxurious cars less than $25K pre-owned? My cousin is looking for something, but I don't know what to tell him as I don't have much experience in that price range.

He doesn't want an Evo, BRZ/FR-S, Miata, or 370Z.

Cool. Not bad, especially since the color scheme has some sentimental value for you. California dealers marked them up $25-35K.

genuinely interested what makes you think this. Any info/links?

Just from prior experience owning 2 Evos, I know that an exhaust and ECU flash on turbo cars usually gives a huge horsepower bump.

Something weird happened a few months ago but I just thought I'd share and it's embarrassing for a BMW. The right exhaust tip just fell out and unfortunately don't know where so I was left with an ugly looking tip. I quickly replaced them both as a temporary solution and boys at the shop removed the left tip easily without any force. BMW doesn't even weld these tips the are just kept in with some kind of clamp whatever it's called. The new tips are just temporary but I think I like them more than the stock ones.

That sucks, but the new tips look way better IMO. They fill the space up nicely. Why are they temporary? You getting different tips, putting stock ones back on, or getting a new exhaust?

SliChillax

That sucks, but the new tips look way better IMO. They fill the space up nicely. Why are they temporary? You getting different tips, putting stock ones back on, or getting a new exhaust?
I like the way they look way better than stock and they cost me 140 euros including labour which was way cheaper than the stock tips I had. I say temporary because I wanted a new exhaust but I figured it's not worth it now that the M2 is out. I also plan on selling it by the end of the year to get an M2 around March - April 2017. By then I'll find a good deal on some slightly used ones with 5k - 10k km max instead of the crazy over msrp prices dealers will sell it this year.

Just got word from a Porsche dealer. They are selling their VIP 911R allocation for $250K above sticker.

Jesus Christ. Porsche marketing strikes once again. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Seems buying a 918 Spyder was one of the wisest investments one could have made. Not only has it's own value skyrocketed, but the VIP program means the car basically paid for itself.

That's some god tier marketing. buying a laFerrari or p1 you'd also easily get your money back twice over.

Id have to be stupidly rich to pay over sticker price.

Just from prior experience owning 2 Evos, I know that an exhaust and ECU flash on turbo cars usually gives a huge horsepower bump.

I actually kinda doubt that... this is from Jalopnik's review:

Our second cars worked perfectly fine, but Ford admits that the RS’s Twinster system is pretty close to its limits handling 350 horses and 350 foot pounds already, so in case you’re planning to go aftermarket and increase the power further without beefing up the drivetrain, expect to get some shredded metal with your voided warranty.

Sauce here: http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-ford-focus-rs-is-god-in-hatchback-form-1754930368

Xdye7

Just from prior experience owning 2 Evos, I know that an exhaust and ECU flash on turbo cars usually gives a huge horsepower bump

My point is that it is completely hardware dependent. How much reliable power is left in your typical economy turbo engine? Or even from something like the EJ in the STI still sold today? I'm not familiar with the new RS, other than the fact that the power figures you see everywhere are what it makes during a temporary overboost and that the center differential is only capable of transferring a maximum of 70% of the power to the rear, again for a limited frame of time, which is why I asked about it specifically. It is wrong to blindly assume there's tuning potential left in a car, especially in today's competitive, economy constricted market. The half-assed drivetrain and as of now seemingly mediocre 2.3L engine in the RS don't currently look like they're shaping up to be some fantastic recipients of modifications.

Makki

My point is that it is completely hardware dependent. How much reliable power is left in your typical economy turbo engine? Or even from something like the EJ in the STI still sold today? I'm not familiar with the new RS, other than the fact that the power figures you see everywhere are what it makes during a temporary overboost and that the center differential is only capable of transferring a maximum of 70% of the power to the rear, again for a limited frame of time, which is why I asked about it specifically. It is wrong to blindly assume there's tuning potential left in a car, especially in today's competitive, economy constricted market. The half-assed drivetrain and as of now seemingly mediocre 2.3L engine in the RS don't currently look like they're shaping up to be some fantastic recipients of modifications.
It's already been claimed that the drivetrain cant handle much more power at all, I can try to find a link.

Mistel

Banned
Huh, I was not aware of that. Evos can take well over 400WHP on stock drivetrain and engine, so figured it would be the same here. Oh well, it should still be a blast in stock form. Wouldn't pay a dime over sticker for it though.
Well the diffs are capable of doing it apparently but would need a rear oil cooler.

It's already been claimed that the drivetrain cant handle much more power at all, I can try to find a link.

The link's already on my last post lol.

Anyway, it's actually interesting that Ford admitted it to be the case.

I personally don't see a problem with it coz I don't think this is gonna be a "budget" car in that sense of the word. You probably know what the hell you're getting into when you get a FoRS so stuff like this is probably expected.

Hell if I was gonna pick up an FoRS, I'd probably just keep it stock so I can daily drive it lol.

matmanx1

Does anyone have recommendations for fun to drive/slightly luxurious cars less than $25K pre-owned? My cousin is looking for something, but I don't know what to tell him as I don't have much experience in that price range.

Cool. Not bad, especially since the color scheme has some sentimental value for you. California dealers marked them up $25-35K.

GTI? 1 series BMW? G37 coupe? Focus ST? New Mustang's can also be had with the V6 and a manual for under 25k used. My local Ford dealership has two of them with less than 15k miles for right at 20 grand. Used WRX can also be found right at 25k for a new model, although they are slightly rare on the used market.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I've heard of this happening. Exhaust tips, tow hook covers, and center caps from the wheels all fall off. I think it's pretty hilarious.

SliChillax

I've heard of this happening. Exhaust tips, tow hook covers, and center caps from the wheels all fall off. I think it's pretty hilarious.
Oh yeah center caps fell off once. I was driving the car pretty hard on some nice mountain roads and when I stopped to take some pics of the view I heard something pop. Sounded like the pop from champagne bottles and then I realised my front center caps had fallen off. Maybe due to the heat?

IS350, last gen. Will run forever, has the requisite bells and whistles and goes fast enough.

I know its not quite on the same level as the other cars here but I picked up my new car after my 98 BMW M3 was totaled out by insurance.

I drove to Chicago to pick up this 06 Mazdaspeed 6. One owner and under 70k miles and was, by far, the cleanest one I could find anywhere around me. I have had it for a few weeks now and I have been impressed with how fun it is to drive. Has a great feel to it and with the winters here in Indiana, the AWD will be nice to have.

Zyzyxxz

I know its not quite on the same level as the other cars here but I picked up my new car after my 98 BMW M3 was totaled out by insurance.

I drove to Chicago to pick up this 06 Mazdaspeed 6. One owner and under 70k miles and was, by far, the cleanest one I could find anywhere around me. I have had it for a few weeks now and I have been impressed with how fun it is to drive. Has a great feel to it and with the winters here in Indiana, the AWD will be nice to have.

Nice, I'm looking forward to the potential new Mazdaspeed 3 or 6.

Top Bottom