• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

anyone used Chadwicks triple play to clean there car???

I ordered the kit but I'm sceptical...

Dayam Alpha, you getting an F-type? those things are so beautiful....shockingly beautiful...

matmanx1

It gets better on the inside! (not really)

cmi4ncw.jpg

I'm glad they're revising the gear ratios as well. Other than that, complete hack job.

I've always liked the exterior of the GT86 twins. And I've always been very put off by the interior. It looks cheap and "toylike" to me. I don't know why exactly, but something about it has always irked me.

Separate post regarding update of my M56S and M235i switch:

I spent a few hours in an F-Type yesterday while waiting for my XF to be fully prepared. And I intentionally chose a base model with 340HP. Why? Well...

I'm thinking of passing up the M235i. I just can't see myself going from an M56S to a 2-series. My heart is truly set on one car and one car only. I've been doing a lot of research into tuning these new Jags and it's very possible I'll end up in a base 2017 F-Type. The invoice on 2017 base model F-Types will be around $59K - and these cars come loaded with Nav, Meridian 770W Audio, Variable Exhaust mode, In-Control App, Bi-xenons w/LEDs, Leather, Dual Zone Climate, and others.

The 340HP is a simple inexpensive flash away from being 380HP... it takes 20 minutes to do and essentially unlocks the car's power reserved for the V6S model. My Jag dealership regularly does software flashes on 340HP models and even fits some of them with exhausts and aftermarket hi-flow cats by Velocity Automotive Performance. The base model is also the lightest of the cars weighing only 3450lbs (they have removed the standard glass panoramic roof, which improves integrity and top mass). It lacks a proper LSD, but it does still employ torque-vectoring by braking, and if that's good enough for McLaren on a P1, that's good enough for an F-Type.

It only comes with 18s, which I'll quickly replace with something else. But at least it offers red as a standard no option color! Also, the black car I drove all afternoon yesterday broke so much neck, it was incredible. Definitely tinting this car if I get it. I was pleasantly surprised by the base model and I actually reaaallly liked the standard seats with the Suedecloth center inserts between the leather of the seats.

Anyway, back to power, the tuning world is opening up for these cars and Velocity has base F-Types making 410HP with just a tune + CATs running conservative maps. That's plenty of power for me, especially considering that the base model is 700lbs lighter than the F-Type R and is also RWD, unlike the R which is AWD only now. I'm thinking I'm on to something here.

F-Type is a huge step up from a 235i in style and certainly not a minor step up in price. I'm betting the 235i would still be more practical though in terms of usable interior space. Is that an issue for you?

And not that it matters, but is the Jag your significant other's car? And you daily the M56S (which may soon become something else)?

The F-Type is one of those cars that I would love to own, if only for a lease period, just because it is so beautiful. I sincerely think it is one of the best looking cars on the road today.

Anyone east coasters here planning on do any track days this year?

I only did two days last year and am hoping to triple that this year.

Wish I had a cheaper car and didn't need insurance, otherwise i could probably go to a ton more.
Insurance is more than the track day fee.

Anion

Evo, damn I gotta say you must have had quite an experience. This summer I drove from La hit the Hoover damn, Vegas, Grand Canyon and then drove down to Sedona till Phoenix. I wish I had my own car for the ride, so I have to admit I'm jelly you drove not only your car but that your cars a Cayman GTS haha. Glad that she isn't a garage queen at the slightest. Proper usage is a win

Now trade her in for a GT4 so I can pick up your ex-car ;)

Not as impressive as AlphaSnake'a pickup but I said fuck it and bought a BRZ!

perfect timing lol at least the new one isn't that different. It has a catback already so I am just gonna call that +5hp lol.
Congrats man, well done. Just before the funky front bumper update too lol, so good timing
LMAO.

Guys...guys...I can start, stop, lock, unlock, and track location of my car via the Jaguar Android app. This is so cool. Thanks everyone for the words! I'll take some interior pics, but not sure how great they'll come out. It's great looking place to be. Everything functions great and the layout is spot on.

AlphaSnake is an equal opportunity car enthusiast. Hashtag ebony&ivory:
Congrats man, glad to hear delivery was nice. Also nice garage in general man.

Oh and I would rather go F type at that price point. Then you can have a proper British garage ;)

Paint the floor the with epoxy drawing out the British flag

Speaking of garages, my parents are going to extend it for one more car. I'm thinking of painting the floor with epoxy and walls some color. Anyone do that? There are some kits that have all the chemicals

mkenyon

Banned

I spent a few hours in an F-Type yesterday while waiting for my XF to be fully prepared. And I intentionally chose a base model with 340HP. Why? Well...

I'm thinking of passing up the M235i. I just can't see myself going from an M56S to a 2-series. My heart is truly set on one car and one car only. I've been doing a lot of research into tuning these new Jags and it's very possible I'll end up in a base 2017 F-Type. The invoice on 2017 base model F-Types will be around $59K - and these cars come loaded with Nav, Meridian 770W Audio, Variable Exhaust mode, In-Control App, Bi-xenons w/LEDs, Leather, Dual Zone Climate, and others.

The 340HP is a simple inexpensive flash away from being 380HP... it takes 20 minutes to do and essentially unlocks the car's power reserved for the V6S model. My Jag dealership regularly does software flashes on 340HP models and even fits some of them with exhausts and aftermarket hi-flow cats by Velocity Automotive Performance. The base model is also the lightest of the cars weighing only 3450lbs (they have removed the standard glass panoramic roof, which improves integrity and top mass). It lacks a proper LSD, but it does still employ torque-vectoring by braking, and if that's good enough for McLaren on a P1, that's good enough for an F-Type.

It only comes with 18s, which I'll quickly replace with something else. But at least it offers red as a standard no option color! Also, the black car I drove all afternoon yesterday broke so much neck, it was incredible. Definitely tinting this car if I get it. I was pleasantly surprised by the base model and I actually reaaallly liked the standard seats with the Suedecloth center inserts between the leather of the seats.

Anyway, back to power, the tuning world is opening up for these cars and Velocity has base F-Types making 410HP with just a tune + CATs running conservative maps. That's plenty of power for me, especially considering that the base model is 700lbs lighter than the F-Type R and is also RWD, unlike the R which is AWD only now. I'm thinking I'm on to something here.
That seems really f'n low, like Corvette territory.

Jonm1010

Banned
So I may be in the market for a new car. Or if my talk with my boss goes a different direction it might be a truck, but for now I am assuming it will be a car.

So far I am looking at:

Audi A3
Acura TLX
Volvo S60
Audi A4(might be stretching it a bit here)

But I am also thinking about saving some money and just getting an upgraded Accord or Optima.

As there some cars I may be missing and should consider? Any recommendations from that group?

Oxn

So I may be in the market for a new car. Or if my talk with my boss goes a different direction it might be a truck, but for now I am assuming it will be a car.

So far I am looking at:

Audi A3
Acura TLX
Volvo S60

But I am also thinking about saving some money and just getting an upgraded Accord or Optima.

As there some cars I may be missing and should consider? Any recommendations from that group?

Q50

Zoolader

So far I am looking at:

Audi A3
Acura TLX
Volvo S60

Golf R

FStop7

Banned
An Adrian Newey designed, Aston Martin hypercar?

Newey is like Gordon Murray and Red Bull's car racing program is in a similar place as McLaren was when they conceived the F1.

If the marketeers and politics can be kept out of the project it could be one the all time iconic cars.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Not as impressive as AlphaSnake'a pickup but I said fuck it and bought a BRZ!

p3Wy74t.jpg

perfect timing lol at least the new one isn't that different. It has a catback already so I am just gonna call that +5hp lol.

Hey, Congrats! Are you planning to do any other mods, or do you plan to keep it mostly stock?

So far I am looking at:

Audi A3
Acura TLX
Volvo S60

I would hold off on mid and low end Volvo purchases until they are revised with the new styling, interior upgrades, and underpinnings from Volvo's new flagship car and SUV. The current S60 was introduced six years ago, was refreshed in 2014, and really needs the upgrade. But if you are satisfied with what it offers, a CPO 2014 might be a better choice than spending the full amount on a 2016 S60.

nitewulf

Congrats Alpha, that's a great looking car and certainly I think a better buy than the German counterparts (was never a big fan of modern Mercs anyway though).

nitewulf

This summer I drove from La hit the Hoover damn, Vegas, Grand Canyon and then drove down to Sedona till Phoenix.

I did Phoenix to Sedona, took the mountain road that winds all the way up...Sonoran desert highway. Was a rented Camaro. Badass car, badass drive. Beautiful country. Would love to drive my car cross country.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Dayam Alpha, you getting an F-type? those things are so beautiful....shockingly beautiful...

Yes, I think that's the direction I'm heading. End of the month I'm going to try and swing for a black one they have sitting on the lot that's a 2016 with a decent amount of options and see what happens. If they can get me into my price point and take in my trade, I'll take it. But it is HIGHLY unlikely, imo, but my sales rep is really encouraging me to give it a shot on the 29th or 30th. We'll see.

F-Type is a huge step up from a 235i in style and certainly not a minor step up in price. I'm betting the 235i would still be more practical though in terms of usable interior space. Is that an issue for you?

And not that it matters, but is the Jag your significant other's car? And you daily the M56S (which may soon become something else)?

The F-Type is one of those cars that I would love to own, if only for a lease period, just because it is so beautiful. I sincerely think it is one of the best looking cars on the road today.

I make all of the car decisions, basically. Make sure my wife will be happy with it and off we go. She also drives my car frequently, as well. She really loves the M56S because of how much power it has (she has a heavy foot). Since I work from home it doesn't matter to me what she drives. What's mine is hers, and what's hers is mine.

The space and convenience of the F-Type shouldn't be an issue. Our in-laws should be moving to our neighborhood subdivision by July, and they have two cars. And if I have to take the baby somewhere, baby seats are allowed in the F-Type as it has a LATCH system in place. But I'd probably just have my wife take the F-Type to work and I'd use the XF. Or I borrow my father in law's Prius...which coincidentally he wants to get rid of for a Jag once they move to Florida. LOL :)

Congrats man, glad to hear delivery was nice. Also nice garage in general man.

Oh and I would rather go F type at that price point. Then you can have a proper British garage ;)

Paint the floor the with epoxy drawing out the British flag

Man...that's an awesome idea! LOL. It's bad enough I'm a massive Anglophile. I don't know why I am, but I just love Britain and its culture. I think British rockbands are the best bans in the world and the cornerstore of rock music as we know it today. And I'm a native Russian living in the US. So it's weird. Idk.

That seems really f'n low, like Corvette territory.

Should jus get the corvette

Nah, not enough class/uniqueness/sex appeal for Alpha.

I mean that in a very genuine and non-snarky way.

Haha, yeah. Vettes are so generic. I contemplated it, but then the world sends me a message and I'll see 6 brand new Vettes in a matter of 30 minutes. Way too common. The base F-Type's had a huge price drop for 2017MY and a warranty that runs 5 years/60K miles.

Congrats Alpha, that's a great looking car and certainly I think a better buy than the German counterparts (was never a big fan of modern Mercs anyway though).

Thanks man. Same here. I was fairly close to getting a C450 AMG...but they are horrifically overpriced and only AWD. No thanks, Benz. Beautiful car inside and out, handles amazing too. But hard pass.

Evo X

So my Jag dealer called to tell me they were only getting a single F-Type SVR this year and asked me what color I would prefer.

We decided on Caldera Red on Black with red stitching. Carbon fiber roof/wing/interior, carbon ceramic brakes, and 20" Maelstrom 5 Spoke wheels. Should look pretty badass.

SliChillax

Who the hell would even consider an M235i when they can afford an F type? Doesn't matter base or not, it's an F type and it's beautiful. Although I was thinking for all the money you plan on putting in the car might as well get the S version.

matmanx1

Who the hell would even consider an M235i when they can afford an F type? Doesn't matter base or not, it's an F type and it's beautiful. Although I was thinking for all the money you plan on putting in the car might as well get the S version.

Haha, well, just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Otherwise, I agree with you!

Flo_Evans

Hey, Congrats! Are you planning to do any other mods, or do you plan to keep it mostly stock?

Not sure yet. Well I probably am going to do some stuff but I'm not sure what yet. He also got new tires (michelin A/S 3s) on it and they feel pretty nice so no immediate plans.

I don't think I am going to turbo it, maybe an intake and an ECU tune. I think 1st though I am going to look at lighter weight stuff, get some new rims maybe an aluminum driveshaft. maybe some coil overs.

Have to spend some more time with her to figure out what I want to improve. Hopefully going to get to some track days this summer to improve myself lol. I think at this point I am the one holding the car back. :p

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

A V6S 380HP starts at 75K.

A V6 340HP is 61K.

The tune is only $800 at the dealer. The pulley is another $700 installed. I'm at 410HP now with just $1500 all in. 19" Wheels and tires will run me about $1500. So $3K total. And I'm still $11K below the cost of a V6S with more power and less weight.

SliChillax

A V6S 380HP starts at 75K.

A V6 340HP is 61K.

The tune is only $800 at the dealer. The pulley is another $700 installed. I'm at 410HP now with just $1500 all in. 19" Wheels and tires will run me about $1500. So $3K total. And I'm still $11K below the cost of a V6S with more power and less weight.
Ahh fair enough then. I would say definitely forget about the M235i and go for the F type.

ZetaEpyon

So, I have a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 that I bought new and have been considering trading in for something else. I want something fun in (roughly) the $30k range, and don't really need something super practical, because I also have a full size truck that I can drive in our oh-so-glorious Wisconsin winters and other crap weather.

I'd been looking at things like the FR-S/BRZ and the new MX-5, but have been a little hesitant about the severe drop in power coming from the Speed3. (I've tested the twins, but not a Miata yet, and while they handle fantastically, it indeed is obviously quite noticeable.) However, what I had not realized until recently is just how low prices on 987 Caymans have fallen. In some quick browsing around over the past week or so, it seems like it's not unreasonable to find a late 2000s 987 with 30-40k miles for prices in the high $20k's or low $30k's, depending on options, base vs S, and whatnot.

Am I insane for thinking that this might actually be a better option for me than something like a new Miata, given that it would not be my sole vehicle? In terms of practicality, it's probably even a little better, due to trunk/frunk storage space. If I really dig into this, are there things that I should look out for? Or are there other options that I should consider that I might not have thought of?

I'd been looking at things like the FR-S/BRZ and the new MX-5, but have been a little hesitant about the severe drop in power coming from the Speed3. (I've tested the twins, but not a Miata yet, and while they handle fantastically, it indeed is obviously quite noticeable.) However, what I had not realized until recently is just how low prices on 987 Caymans have fallen. In some quick browsing around over the past week or so, it seems like it's not unreasonable to find a late 2000s 987 with 30-40k miles for prices in the high $20k's or low $30k's, depending on options, base vs S, and whatnot.

The twins and the Miata have the advantage of being under warranty; all of those Porsches will potentially leave you with repair bills when the break. The Porsches have the advantage of actually being fast and far more fun to drive.

Is the WRX not an option?

Flo_Evans

So, I have a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 that I bought new and have been considering trading in for something else. I want something fun in (roughly) the $30k range, and don't really need something super practical, because I also have a full size truck that I can drive in our oh-so-glorious Wisconsin winters and other crap weather.

Am I insane for thinking that this might actually be a better option for me than something like a new Miata, given that it would not be my sole vehicle? In terms of practicality, it's probably even a little better, due to trunk/frunk storage space. If I really dig into this, are there things that I should look out for? Or are there other options that I should consider that I might not have thought of?

I had the same wild idea... I went with a BRZ mostly for $$$. Much more expensive to maintain the porsche. The no backseat also kind of killed the idea of a cayman for me. I managed to fit both kids in the back with the wife in the passenger seat and while this will probably never be repeated it is nice to know its possible. Would have to up it to the 911 which is even more expensive to get a backseat.

Plus my sister already has a cayman that I can borrow :)

matmanx1

So my Jag dealer called to tell me they were only getting a single F-Type SVR this year and asked me what color I would prefer.

We decided on Caldera Red on Black with red stitching. Carbon fiber roof/wing/interior, carbon ceramic brakes, and 20" Maelstrom 5 Spoke wheels. Should look pretty badass.

Should be a show-stopper. I bet it's going to be hard to wait for that one!

987's are hugely fun. The only downside, really, is the maintenance and repair cost. They are practical, they get decent to good gas mileage and the insurance isn't even bad. But to properly maintain one it will take, oh, at least a couple grand a year if you do everything that you are supposed to do. If something breaks, it will be even more. Are you ok with $350 oil changes? If so, then I would seriously consider the 987 Cayman. They are pretty fantastic to drive.

If not, a WRX or GT86 or even a Miata would also be a lot of fun with a far lower cost to own. And I'm not sure what your timeframe is but the Fiat 124 Spider Abarth version should be here at some point this summer and will most likely also be a hoot (although it might be more like $35k, no one really knows at this point).

You have a lot of good options. That much is sure.

Its a shame MB USA doesn't allow it in this side of the states.
Normally I really am not a fan of green, but the a45 really makes it look special
2015-Mercedes-AMG-A45-neue-A-Klasse-Test-Fahrberich-Video-Jens-Stratmann-1-1024x683-1024x683.jpg

Speaking of the a45, top gear showed the drag race between it and the golf r and focus rs. Not really surprising though considering the specs and price points of the cars.
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/top-gear-drag-races-10-focus-rs-vs-vw-golf-r-vs-merc-a45-amg

I'm sure they'll sell it here eventually though. It does look pretty good.

matmanx1

I find the A45 AMG to be much more attractive and more practical.

I agree. If only we got that one here in the USA! Maybe with hot hatches gaining in popularity MB will see fit to bring it over. Of course, would anyone buy a $50k hot hatch? And if so, how many? Enough to justify it?

Anion

I agree. If only we got that one here in the USA! Maybe with hot hatches gaining in popularity MB will see fit to bring it over. Of course, would anyone buy a $50k hot hatch? And if so, how many? Enough to justify it?

I think the biggest reason MB USA doesnt bring it in, is cause of the GLA. Even though the GLA is different, it might not be "different enough" for them to bring it over

sgjackson

you can get em for 5 to 10k around here.

how much were you expecting?

it's been years since i looked at prices so five digits for clean cars was sticker shock.

edit: i did find a guy restoring a gt who wanted 5500 for it. looked really clean and mostly stock. if i wasn't just window shopping i'd probably have gone and looked at it.

Evo X

Just got word from a Porsche dealer. They are selling their VIP 911R allocation for $250K above sticker.

Jesus Christ. Porsche marketing strikes once again. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Seems buying a 918 Spyder was one of the wisest investments one could have made. Not only has it's own value skyrocketed, but the VIP program means the car basically paid for itself.

lem0n

Just got word from a Porsche dealer. They are selling their VIP 911R allocation for $250K above sticker.

Jesus Christ. Porsche marketing strikes once again. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Seems buying a 918 Spyder was one of the wisest investments one could have made. Not only has it's own value skyrocketed, but the VIP program means the car basically paid for itself.

Hooooooly shit. Not surprised, but didn't think it would be that crazy. Shows what Porsche fans really want, though.

$250k over? Isn't that like more than the car costs.

Makki

This is the prime example of why direct sales from the manufacturer like Tesla need to happen. When douchebag sale tactics like this trickle down onto GT350's or even a freaking hatchback Focus RS be marked up way above what the manufacturer suggests, why the hell do we need dealers for?

Evo X

Hooooooly shit. Not surprised, but didn't think it would be that crazy. Shows what Porsche fans really want, though.

Yeah, but what's the point if 99% of Porsche fans won't even be given the chance to buy one? They need to stop with all of these ultra limited marked up BS cars. They're starting to turn into Ferrari and I don't mean that in a good way.

$250k over? Isn't that like more than the car costs.

Yep. The MSRP for this car is $185K. You've gotta be rich as fuck to pay Aventador Roadster money for it.

This is the prime example of why direct sales from the manufacturer like Tesla need to happen. When douchebag sale tactics like this trickle down onto GT350's or even a freaking hatchback Focus RS be marked up way above what the manufacturer suggests, why the hell do we need dealers for?

Agreed. I was at a Ford dealer a couple of weeks back and was shocked there was a $25,000 markup on the GT350. They also said they were gonna mark up the Focus RS. Both of those cars are value proposition. Great performance for the money. But if you price them out of the bracket like that, they lose their purpose.

Yeah, but what's the point if 99% of Porsche fans won't even be given the chance to buy one? They need to stop with all of these ultra limited marked up BS cars. They're starting to turn into Ferrari and I don't mean that in a good way.

Yep. The MSRP for this car is $185K. You've gotta be rich as fuck to pay Aventador Roadster money for it.

Agreed. I was at a Ford dealer a couple of weeks back and was shocked there was a $25,000 markup on the GT350. They also said they were gonna mark up the Focus RS. Both of those cars are value proposition. Great performance for the money. But if you price them out of the bracket like that, they lose their purpose.

exactly!! the the 991r is nice and all...but there are so much other options I would rather get for that price....

Anion

Man, this isnt suprusing to be quite honest. Considering the GT3 RS were what, $100-150k over for some people at one time, this is just to be expected and a crock of s*$#@#@%(*@#%($#(T*%$#

Too bad the dealer lobbies are so dang strong in the US. I see no future where you can buy a non-tesla straight from the factory for the next 25 years.

I was really considering a GT4, but I've already had my "drivers car" filled with the type R and NSX. I think it would have been a waste for me. I was more drawn to the collectivity aspect of it...which wasn't my style. It was never a dream car...

I was also considering the new NSX...but I'm too poor for that, and It doesn't look so exciting..

Top Bottom