• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I know its not quite on the same level as the other cars here but I picked up my new car after my 98 BMW M3 was totaled out by insurance.

Fuuuuu. What you have there is a unicorn man!

The last time I saw a Mazdaspeed6 being sold in the DFW area was 6 months ago and I search for cars at least twice a month out of boredom lol.

I'd love to have one myself tbh.

If there's not an insane markup within a year or so from now, I think I might have to buy one of these.

Same here actually. I've been thinking about a FoRS to be my new DD come August and keep the Miata for super nice weather or autocrossing but if the markups are still batshit insane, I'm probably gonna pass on it or if Mazda finally announces a Mazdaspeed3/6 within the next months then I'll wait.

Otherwise, I might be grabbing a WRX or FoST in August.

FStop7

Banned
Just got word from a Porsche dealer. They are selling their VIP 911R allocation for $250K above sticker.

Jesus Christ. Porsche marketing strikes once again. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Seems buying a 918 Spyder was one of the wisest investments one could have made. Not only has it's own value skyrocketed, but the VIP program means the car basically paid for itself.

It's a bubble. Porsche makes a amazing cars but with these premiums they're crossing into territory where they're significantly outclassed. The jacked up prices simply aren't supported by what you get and I'm starting to doubt that the prices are backed up by actual sales, either. And the cars aren't that rare. The dealership by me is now up to 7 GT3 RS in stock. All of them consignment flips priced at $329k - $399k. They've been there for months. This is just one dealership, there's another about 10 miles away with I think 3 RS in stock, as well.

This Harris vid really drove the point home - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58j0Mmj41m0 The Mc650S spanked the RS and it's even on worn tires compared to the Porsche's fresh cup tires. The way the 650S just lunges around the track is incredible. Not to mention it's a convertible.

Another way to look at it - for $350k you can get a very nice Ferrari F12 and you're also pretty close to the price of a 458 Speciale. These are in an entirely different league.

BTW - Somebody who would know told me the new 991 Carrera S does a faster Ring lap than the 997 GT2. So what is it people are paying these insane overages for (if they even actually are, or if this is just a bunch of starry-eyed owners asking the moon for cars that aren't actually selling) on current/previous gen GT cars when the "standard" 991S is that fast?

SliChillax

It's a bubble. Porsche makes a amazing cars but with these premiums they're crossing into territory where they're significantly outclassed. The jacked up prices simply aren't supported by what you get and I'm starting to doubt that the prices are backed up by actual sales, either. And the cars aren't that rare. The dealership by me is now up to 7 GT3 RS in stock. All of them consignment flips priced at $329k - $399k. They've been there for months. This is just one dealership, there's another about 10 miles away with I think 3 RS in stock, as well.

This Harris vid really drove the point home - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58j0Mmj41m0 The Mc650S spanked the RS and it's even on worn tires compared to the Porsche's fresh cup tires. The way the 650S just lunges around the track is incredible. Not to mention it's a convertible.

Another way to look at it - for $350k you can get a very nice Ferrari F12 and you're also pretty close to the price of a 458 Speciale. These are in an entirely different league.
BTW - Somebody who would know told me the new 991 Carrera S does a faster Ring lap than the 997 GT2. So what is it people are paying these insane overages for (if they even actually are, or if this is just a bunch of starry-eyed owners asking the moon for cars that aren't actually selling) on current/previous gen GT cars when the "standard" 991S is that fast?

Lap times aren't everything otherwise everyone would buy a GTR and call it a day. A GT2 RS is rare and it's increasing in value. It's an investment you don't simply buy it as a normal vehicle you think about how much you're getting back in resale value. Meanwhile a normal 911 S depreciates like a normal Carrera, dare I say it will depreciate faster because most people say the previous 991 Mk1 is a better car because of it's naturally aspirated engine. But I do agree about what you said about the F12, 458 Speciale or 650s. There is no reason a 911R should cost that much but Porsche slaps a limited edition plate on it and calls it a day. I'm sure it's a fantastic car but I'm sure I'd rather get a 458 Speciale instead.

The only thing (well, maybe not the only thing) the Porsches do still have over the more exotic brands though is the fact they are more useable and robust.

At least, I guess they do (still have that). I mean, that's one of the reasons they have always been loved so dearly. You can actually use them often and they don't break when you do.

Lap times aren't everything otherwise everyone would buy a GTR and call it a day. A GT2 RS is rare and it's increasing in value. It's an investment you don't simply buy it as a normal vehicle you think about how much you're getting back in resale value. Meanwhile a normal 911 S depreciates like a normal Carrera, dare I say it will depreciate faster because most people say the previous 991 Mk1 is a better car because of it's naturally aspirated engine. But I do agree about what you said about the F12, 458 Speciale or 650s. There is no reason a 911R should cost that much but Porsche slaps a limited edition plate on it and calls it a day. I'm sure it's a fantastic car but I'm sure I'd rather get a 458 Speciale instead.

The other funny thing is that I believe Speciale owners actually drive their cars where as the 911Rs will just sit parked til they've appreciated for sale.

The whole Porsche market really is just a bunch of flippers.

FStop7

Banned
The other funny thing is that I believe Speciale owners actually drive their cars where as the 911Rs will just sit parked til they've appreciated for sale.

The whole Porsche market really is just a bunch of flippers.

It's so strange because Ferraris were the flipper cars before the 2008 meltdown. You had to go through a ridiculous song and dance where you'd have to buy a Maserati or two (and lose a lot of money.) Then you could maybe get the opportunity to buy a "new" Ferrari. But it had to be ordered to the dealer's spec, which is whatever sells the most. So no cool color combos, just red/tan. Then when "your" car finally arrives, you get to drive it for maybe 500 miles before the car goes on consignment at the dealership for $100k over sticker. And once that car sells you might get the opportunity to order another Ferrari, this time to your own spec.

That was the process, as it was relayed to me by more than one person who'd been through it.

BRZ facelift leaked.

cmHifH2.jpg

aEDhkZN.jpg

Doesn't look bad, but that dash/gauge area just looks so empty.

It's so strange because Ferraris were the flipper cars before the 2008 meltdown. You had to go through a ridiculous song and dance where you'd have to buy a Maserati or two (and lose a lot of money.) Then you could maybe get the opportunity to buy a "new" Ferrari. But it had to be ordered to the dealer's spec, which is whatever sells the most. So no cool color combos, just red/tan. Then when "your" car finally arrives, you get to drive it for maybe 500 miles before the car goes on consignment at the dealership for $100k over sticker. And once that car sells you might get the opportunity to order another Ferrari, this time to your own spec.

That was the process, as it was relayed to me by more than one person who'd been through it.

If this is real, then fnck.

Why the fnck would you even "buy" a Ferrari when you can't drive it like you stole it?

But I guess this is what happens when you keep your cars exclusive and the only buyers are the people who see things as "investments" instead of something that you can actually enjoy.

I agree!..I see all these rediculous priced "limited edition" but I don't think anyone are actually buying them.

same when I was in the marker for gt4...all dealers/seller claims how rare they are but I never had issues finding one for sale.

matmanx1

I know its not quite on the same level as the other cars here but I picked up my new car after my 98 BMW M3 was totaled out by insurance.

I drove to Chicago to pick up this 06 Mazdaspeed 6. One owner and under 70k miles and was, by far, the cleanest one I could find anywhere around me. I have had it for a few weeks now and I have been impressed with how fun it is to drive. Has a great feel to it and with the winters here in Indiana, the AWD will be nice to have.

Wow, that is probably the best looking, cleanest speed6 I have seen in a long while. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy it!

Nice, I'm looking forward to the potential new Mazdaspeed 3 or 6.

I would love to see them bring back the Mazdaspeed 6. There doesn't seem to be many fun sedans out there that aren't German these days.

Fuuuuu. What you have there is a unicorn man!

The last time I saw a Mazdaspeed6 being sold in the DFW area was 6 months ago and I search for cars at least twice a month out of boredom lol.

I'd love to have one myself tbh.

Wow, that is probably the best looking, cleanest speed6 I have seen in a long while. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy it!

Yeah, I was looking for one for a while before I found this one. It's technically a two owner car but the second owner brought it back less than a month later because the place he bought it from got an R32 GTR in and he wanted that. So because of that, the price was lower than anywhere else for such a low mileage example.

I already got a Cobb intake and Corksport BOV and my next step is getting the Cobb Access Port to get a bit more power.

mkenyon

Banned
Does anyone have recommendations for fun to drive/slightly luxurious cars less than $25K pre-owned? My cousin is looking for something, but I don't know what to tell him as I don't have much experience in that price range.
Infiniti G37, Acura TL Type S w/ manual. No Love swears by that second one.

Makki

I like the side profile way better than the back view, I was hoping for the rear beam to end in glass and go all around, not some fangs at the back... looks nice in motion, but I dont like it overall. They should make a coupe!

Evo X

I like the side profile way better than the back view, I was hoping for the rear beam to end in glass and go all around, not some fangs at the back... looks nice in motion, but I dont like it overall. They should make a coupe!

Feel the same way. Looks great from the side, but weird from the back.

Folding mechanism is very similar to the 911 Targa. Any info on how much weight it adds?

SummitAve

Banned
It's looking much better with the top up. I'm not very familiar with targas or fastbacks. It's doesn't seem much more open than just having the windows down, and the flat back window is a bit jarring. Does it move vertically up and down or fold up? Or is it also the wind blocker?

Is that the all new Camry by Subaru? lol... I still have high hopes for the WRX hatch.

lol pretty much.

Maybe subaru needs a new smaller car for their performance car, considering the impreza has gotten fairly large. I mean its larger than the original legacy.

My friend has a 2016 STI, and driving it, it just feels much larger than the previous generation.

I really want pop up lights again.....

Fed rules don't allow it anymore unfortunately. I want them back too. :(

Thanks Obama!

Anyway as awesome as the fastback Miata looks, I'm not too sold on it tbh. No power upgrades, and it's probably 50lbs heavier than the soft top version so while awesome, I still don't think it's a solid purchase especially when you already have a Miata to begin with.

I'm really hoping the FoST's prices start crashing down once the FoRS comes out, I'll probably pick one up and also keep my Miata for nice days and all that.

Is that the all new Camry by Subaru? lol... I still have high hopes for the WRX hatch.

Well, they do have a partnership with Toyota after all so...

When is the hatch coming out?

Makki

I'm really hoping the FoST's prices start crashing down once the FoRS comes out, I'll probably pick one up and also keep my Miata for nice days and all that.

Considering dealers have so little allocations, unless they ramp up production I dont see the FoST getting any cheaper, specially since they discount them to hell already so people dont buy it's little more quirky brother.

Considering dealers have so little allocations, unless they ramp up production I dont see the FoST getting any cheaper, specially since they discount them to hell already so people dont buy it's little more quirky brother.

Well to be fair my target is a CPO under $20K FoST.

I don't think I'd be willing to spend $25K on a Focus, except for the FoRS.

I'm also considering a WRX but all I really want is a FWD/AWD, large trunk space, fast and comfortable daily driver with a stick.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
One last R35 revision.

Can't they just go ahead with a R36...

It's not due until 2019, as a 2020 model.

But I ain't even mad. The interior actually looks good now. Large screen, less plastics, brand new steering wheel, and fewer buttons. And they've insulated the cabin with a thicker windshield, sound deadening, and noise cancelation through the Bose. Car also now comes with a titanium exhaust.

matmanx1

Mazda might just be showing the new ND hardtop in 3 mins:

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/201...5&providertag=MazdaSocial&servicetag=SOC10025

Actually it got leaked half an hour ago lol.

CeLu-GsW4AERYMq.jpg

CeLwqLvXIAAd4zO.jpg:large

1ff65a5129d8bb2d375a5f6cf3106cd8.jpg

Will post the official pics when I see them.

Nice! I like it! It's a little "Z4'ish" with the fastback folding hardtop.

New Impreza:

subaru-impreza-web2016-180.jpg

CeMcolNWwAU_E2O.jpg:large

subaru-impreza-web2016-185.jpg

Not bad. It's an improvement over the current model and the interior looks to be a couple of grades better as well. It's not beautiful but Subaru's never have been and that hasn't seemed to hurt their sales or popularity much.

SliChillax

It's not due until 2019, as a 2020 model.

But I ain't even mad. The interior actually looks good now. Large screen, less plastics, brand new steering wheel, and fewer buttons. And they've insulated the cabin with a thicker windshield, sound deadening, and noise cancelation through the Bose. Car also now comes with a titanium exhaust.

There's a giant ugly plastic surrounding the touch screen, what the hell were they thinking? I really like the interior except the middle part where the screen is. Also the outside looks great, very nice facelift.
2017-Nissan-GT-R-FL-38.jpg

Top Bottom