• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

GHG

Gold Member
My experience with fuel economy is that it depends on how you drive your car. For example my wife's car (VW Tiguan) has a 2.0 4 cylinder turbo engine (same as the Golf GTI) and she gets worse fuel economy than what I get in my v8 twin turbo in the BMW. That's because she rags the shit out of her car whereas I drive like a grandad 90% of the time unless there's a bit of clear road ahead and I want to hear the engine roar.

Every car can be thirsty if you drive it hard all the time.

Lol I think I would pay off my house first!

Honestly speed isnt as much of a priority for me anymore, I really enjoy the entire experience of the car more (sounds lame doesnt it?) which is why I love my Cayman S.

Nah I'm fully in this camp--the James May "slow car fast vs fast car slow" camp. Much more important than how fast a car is is how well it communicates with the driver, how responsive it is and how nice it sounds.

Make no mistake, the 981s will be worth much more than the 718s twenty years from now.

matmanx1

Define very economical. Like, how much mpg are we talking here for day to day urban driving, or even long journeys?

I saw low 20's in my 2.7 Boxster going back and forth to work in mixed driving. This is with a fairly heavy foot. I would say the average was around 23. My car was a 5 speed stick though and not the 6 speed which I believe has a taller overdrive gear and therefore better highway mpg.

But yeah, the 2.7 was by no means thirsty, all things considered.

Spending that much money on any single car always fucks my mind up to extreme levels. I would take that 120k and make it into a full stable of dope rides.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm getting the Expel and full ceramic coat detail done...

For free. This is $1500 worth of work, with a 7 year coating that repels everything and can actually heal itself and avoid swirls.

My detailer caught wind that I used to be a professional writer and hit me up. He asked in exchange for making my car look absolutely mint for as long as I own it that I edit the posts on his blogs, fix the grammar, and maybe even write some stuff up. I said no problem.

I sent him a sample of stuff I'd fix in one of the write-ups someone else did for him, and he was like "damn...that's one of the better ones I thought I had. Here's the login info."

:)

I'm getting the Expel and full ceramic coat detail done...

For free. This is $1500 worth of work, with a 7 year coating that repels everything and can actually heal itself and avoid swirls.

My detailer caught wind that I used to be a professional writer and hit me up. He asked in exchange for making my car look absolutely mint for as long as I own it that I edit the posts on his blogs, fix the grammar, and maybe even write some stuff up. I said no problem.

I sent him a sample of stuff I'd fix in one of the write-ups someone else did for him, and he was like "damn...that's one of the better ones I thought I had. Here's the login info."

:)

Do you still make your money writing? (I do as well actually).

Ty4on

But the 2.7 in my 981 Boxster was already very economical.
All things equal less cylinders should bump fuel economy. Maybe not the best example, but the E39 had a small straight six engine to begin with in Europe. Comparing the gas straight sixes the 2l had 94% of the emissions of the 2.8l despite the big gap in displacement and power (made the 520i look like it was just made to satisfy European displacement taxes). Diesel wise the smaller 2l was a 4 cylinder while the bigger 2.5l was a 6 cylinder ('00-'03). There the smaller engine had just 87% of the emissions of the bigger diesel.
Funnily enough the 528iA and 535iA (I6 vs V8) showed the same 87% for the smaller engine.

But yeah, driving style can wreak havoc on fuel economy. The official numbers at the very least show an improvement and those were the numbers Porsche needed to improve.

From the few times I've driven my family's Porsche Cayman S 981, the MPG seems to average about 27 MPG and that's just driving from San Jose to San Francisco at about 80 mph average on weekends both on the 280 highway and streets of SF. Maybe even higher actually. I was certainly shocked when I realized how much mileage I could get out of the little guy.

My 2005 Porsche Boxster on the other hand...I think it's only averaging 21 MPG with the same kind of driving. But that's about the same as my 17 year old Toyota Camry 2000. So I'm not too upset with it. But later Porsche models are definitely more fuel efficient.

I haven't driven the new 718 Boxster or heard it yet, but I'll be sad to see the naturally aspirated flat 6 mid-engine sounds gone. I love the sound even in my 2005 Boxster and of course it sounds even better in the 981 models.

Rengoku

Fucking geese are at war with the cars in my office parking lot. They're going after all the black cars apparently, including mine, pecking away at the car bumpers.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, I ignored the 'used to' hoping that I'm going to be writing my way to a similarly awesome collection of vehicles.

Unfortunately...no.

I sold my soul. I'm a partner at a major digital advertising company. I like the work, and some of the people, but I basically hate one of my partners because he is naive and easily persuaded. But I keep it chill, since I work from my house in Florida and enjoy my life in peace.

Unfortunately...no.

I sold my soul. I'm a partner at a major digital advertising company. I like the work, and some of the people, but I basically hate one of my partners because he is naive and easily persuaded. But I keep it chill, since I work from my house in Florida and enjoy my life in peace.

Does sound pretty interesting, also, working from home is one of the best things you can do to improve your quality of life. Hoping I can keep doing that myself.

cube444

All new summer tires were put on this last weekend. Decided to stick with MPSS and also did some other spring maintenance with an oil change and brake flush along with an alignment. Took one pic.

Not sure why it won't embed:

Link

Cayman interior looks good.

Wish they'd drop the "Cayman" and "Boxster" names and just go 718 and 718 Cabriolet.

I personally like the Cayman, Cayenne, Macan, Boxster, Carerra names... You can always delete the badge of the names and just have 718 or 911 on the cars.

AlphaSnake

Does sound pretty interesting, also, working from home is one of the best things you can do to improve your quality of life. Hoping I can keep doing that myself.

It is interesting. Basically...if you've ever watched Mad Men, a lot of the BS you see on the show I have to deal with myself.

Evo X

Cayman interior looks good.

Wish they'd drop the "Cayman" and "Boxster" names and just go 718 and 718 Cabriolet.

Was playing around with the online configurator yesterday.

You can delete the "Cayman" and "Boxster" model designation badges from the rear as a no cost option and just leave 718. Looks better and the way I'd go.

AlphaSnake

If anybody loves seeing before/after details, here is the detailer I'm working with now. I just revamped this entire write-up of a F430 detail. It was a mess prior to my words. Also see brand new Hellcat detail, as well. I also did a pair of Tesla P90D and P85 edits for him, as well, but the pics there aren't as great.

Ferrari F430
http://superiordetailer.com/2015/07...-paint-correction-ppf-ceramic-coating-detail/

Challenger Hellcat
http://superiordetailer.com/2016/03/19/dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-pitch-black/

SliChillax

Hey guys, this is semi car related but I'm thinking about transferring to California for the next academic year. I hate it so much here in Coventry UK that I'm gonna take a year off from automotive design and apply there. Mostly because the car culture in California is amazing and I see many opportunities for myself as an aspiring car designer. Meanwhile Coventry is depressing as hell, food is awful everywhere, it feels like I'm in a third world country, weather is always bad and it has been seriously affecting me in a bad way. This is my second year here and I can't take it any longer. Seeing as how most people here live in California from what I've noticed, would you approve of this idea? Before I start my in depth research of universities there is there anything I should know about the design schools and the place in general? I've heard great things about Pasadena but haven't researched the place yet.

I was having some piecemeal work done on my car, and one of those items was replacing the gasket for the transmission end cap. The owner of the shop said he'd be able to do it by undoing the mounts and lowering the engine a hair, but then at the end of the day I get this text with an attached photo:

"Plan didn't work, had to drop engine"
HHvCSKY.jpg

Well god damnit. Time to take care of some other things I guess. I just want my car back. :(

matmanx1

Thanks.

Technically it's called Tasman Metallic Green. You don't see too many of them and especially even more rare in a diesel. The colour can look grey at times based on sunlight, time of day, etc.

Yeah, I don't recall that color and I definitely like it. Very sharp.

I was having some piecemeal work done on my car, and one of those items was replacing the gasket for the transmission end cap. The owner of the shop said he'd be able to do it by undoing the mounts and lowering the engine a hair, but then at the end of the day I get this text with an attached photo:

"Plan didn't work, had to drop engine"
HHvCSKY.jpg

Well god damnit. Time to take care of some other things I guess. I just want my car back. :(

=( Is that your Porsche?

matmanx1

If anybody loves seeing before/after details, here is the detailer I'm working with now. I just revamped this entire write-up of a F430 detail. It was a mess prior to my words. Also see brand new Hellcat detail, as well. I also did a pair of Tesla P90D and P85 edits for him, as well, but the pics there aren't as great.

Ferrari F430
http://superiordetailer.com/2015/07...-paint-correction-ppf-ceramic-coating-detail/

Challenger Hellcat
http://superiordetailer.com/2016/03/19/dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-pitch-black/

Good job, Alpha. I just PM'ed you about something very minor.

Hey guys, this is semi car related but I'm thinking about transferring to California for the next academic year. I hate it so much here in Coventry UK that I'm gonna take a year off from automotive design and apply there. Mostly because the car culture in California is amazing and I see many opportunities for myself as an aspiring car designer. Meanwhile Coventry is depressing as hell, food is awful everywhere, it feels like I'm in a third world country, weather is always bad and it has been seriously affecting me in a bad way. This is my second year here and I can't take it any longer. Seeing as how most people here live in California from what I've noticed, would you approve of this idea? Before I start my in depth research of universities there is there anything I should know about the design schools and the place in general? I've heard great things about Pasadena but haven't researched the place yet.

Depends on *where* in California, specifically. Both the Bay Area and SoCal are expensive by American standards, but probably not much more so than the UK. If you're only used to the weather in the UK then SF will feel familiar, but most of the rest of the state will be much, much warmer than you're used to.

There's a strong car culture all over the state - lots of local chapters of just about anything you could possibly imagine. The LA Auto Show is one of the largest ones in America (second only to NYIAS, I think?).

Avoid the Central Valley.

SliChillax

Depends on *where* in California, specifically. Both the Bay Area and SoCal are expensive by American standards, but probably not much more so than the UK. If you're only used to the weather in the UK then SF will feel familiar, but most of the rest of the state will be much, much warmer than you're used to.

There's a strong car culture all over the state - lots of local chapters of just about anything you could possibly imagine. The LA Auto Show is one of the largest ones in America (second only to NYIAS, I think?).

Avoid the Central Valley.

I was mostly looking at the art center college of design at Pasadena and the academy of art in San Francisco. Leaning towards the one in Pasadena more. I'm just looking at the moment since I still need to research about the entry requirements etc. Considering I'm already an automotive design student in Coventry, it shouldn't be much of a problem and I don't mind starting the first year over again in Pasadena if I have to. It's already expensive here in Coventry and everything is shit. I pay around 21,000 pounds a year for uni and accommodation in Coventry plus food is very expensive and horrible. I don't mind the high costs as long as it's worth it. I regret coming here and I'm looking forward to moving somewhere else.

No Love

Banned

Pasadena is a shithole.

And don't go to art school. Massive tremendous waste of money and time IMO.

No Love

Banned
I'm looking for a university that offers automotive/transport design, not art school.

Oh that's way different then. Art school in Cali is a total scam.

What's wrong with Pasadena? I heard it's very quaint, family friendly and clean?

Sorry, I was half asleep when I wrote that. I for some weird reason thought he meant Barstow/Bakersfield LOL. 😖

Pasadena has an epic road going from it to downtown LA.

Evo X

Do it!

Southern California is heaven for car enthusiasts.

Gorgeous scenery, warm sunny weather year round, tons of automotive variety, and epic roads. Speaking of the last one, Angeles Crest is one of the best driving roads in the world and only a stone's throw away from Pasadena.

You might remember that is where I went a few months back with the convoy of GT4s.

SliChillax

Do it!

Southern California is heaven for car enthusiasts.

Gorgeous scenery, warm sunny weather year round, tons of automotive variety, and epic roads. Speaking of the last one, Angeles Crest is one of the best driving roads in the world and only a stone's throw away from Pasadena.

You might remember that is where I went a few months back with the convoy of GT4s.

I know so much about California and the amazing roads, I feel like I live there already from all the movies and YouTube videos I watch. I'll do some more research and see what kind of procedures there are to apply. I'm gonna take this year off and work on building my portfolio.

AlphaSnake

Oh that's way different then. Art school in Cali is a total scam.

Sorry, I was half asleep when I wrote that. I for some weird reason thought he meant Barstow/Bakersfield LOL. 😖

Pasadena has an epic road going from it to downtown LA.

Bakersfield is just...boring isn't it? Pretty far removed from stuff, from what I recall.

Evo X

Looks like somebody's a big fan of Halo.

Custom ordered GT4 in Master Chief green. The one color where the orange reflectors are appropriate I'd say.

1045723d1461882209-new-pts-olive-green-arrived-img_0572.jpg

Qblivion

Sorry if this question is too plebeian for this thread but there is a pretty clean, manual 2001 325i on cl for a $5000. Do these cars hold up, or do BMWs still turn into money pits?

Sorry if this question is too plebeian for this thread but there is a pretty clean, manual 2001 325i on cl for a $5000. Do these cars hold up, or do BMWs still turn into money pits?

You might be able to get away clean on a E46 but still expect failing electronics.

It can go either way. Just be prepared, lol.

Mistel

Banned
I was mostly looking at the art center college of design at Pasadena and the academy of art in San Francisco. Leaning towards the one in Pasadena more. I'm just looking at the moment since I still need to research about the entry requirements etc. Considering I'm already an automotive design student in Coventry, it shouldn't be much of a problem and I don't mind starting the first year over again in Pasadena if I have to. It's already expensive here in Coventry and everything is shit. I pay around 21,000 pounds a year for uni and accommodation in Coventry plus food is very expensive and horrible. I don't mind the high costs as long as it's worth it. I regret coming here and I'm looking forward to moving somewhere else.
Why on earth pick Coventry in the first place?

AlphaSnake

I'll put it to you this way...5 year old BMWs are already money pits. Now imagine a 15 year old one. Stay away.

Top Bottom