• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ShowDog

I moved to a brand new place in the deep 'burbs and the increased commute to 80mi round trip from 20mi is kicking both my ass and my S2Ks ass. Someone tell me it isn't really stupid to buy a sub 100k mile, one owner perfect 97-2000 ls400 for 5k and DD that until the electric revolution takes us all beyond 2020.

Ls400 is old and boring but damn if it isn't well made and good at soaking up the miles and I miss torque. I think I'm ready for the opposite of the roadster. I need to get a "dad car" anyways and its not the best time for a huge loan.

M52B28

Banned
Get an IS300. Probably my dad's best car purchase besides the E30.

I daily drove the IS and we did 2 hour+ drives in it. That engine (2JZ) is nearly bulletproof.

LS is a a good purchase, but I'm mentioning the IS for aesthetic looks. Both are really good cars.

No Love

Banned
I moved to a brand new place in the deep 'burbs and the increased commute to 80mi round trip from 20mi is kicking both my ass and my S2Ks ass. Someone tell me it isn't really stupid to buy a sub 100k mile, one owner perfect 97-2000 ls400 for 5k and DD that until the electric revolution takes us all beyond 2020.

Ls400 is old and boring but damn if it isn't well made and good at soaking up the miles and I miss torque. I think I'm ready for the opposite of the roadster. I need to get a "dad car" anyways and its not the best time for a huge loan.

I can see if I can find you a cheap 6MT Acura TL 2004-2006. I have seen clean one owner ones for $7k or less. Much better MPG, almost as comfy, and much faster. And the gearbox is almost as good as the S2K's, maybe 80% as good.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone own or ridden a Honda grom? My honda moped is fun but I need more speed without really worrying about killing myself. A few friends on facebook have recently got them and i'm now debating getting my Motorcycle license and picking one up. Any other thoughts on a fairly cheap (less than 3k) beginner bike?

Ruckus. Mod it. 49cc but mine now tops out at 54mph with new Polini variator, Yoshimura exhaust and tweaks.

Evo X

Ruckus. Mod it. 49cc but mine now tops out at 54mph with new Polini variator, Yoshimura exhaust and tweaks.

I googled Honda Ruckus and found this.

honda-ruckus-modified-wallpaper-1.jpg

I approve.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
guess i missed it, congrats mayne

boy/girl?

enjoy these days you have left!

Thanks dude. It's a boy. Future Knick fan in the making. The sports masochism starts day 1.

Are the rear seats usable?

Depends, do your intended passengers have legs?
Rear-Seats1.jpg

So I actually decided to jump into the rear of the car and see if it's doable. The above pic has the seats all the way back and the passenger side actually has quite a lot of legroom. I'm 6'1, and and the passenger would have to sit a little bit upright (no different than an airplane when landing) but it's no terrible. The most comfortable position is to lean on the center armrest with your elbow so that your head doesn't touch the roof. That armrest is very wide for that reason. Anyone under 6-feet should be okay for short trips.

boltz

Thanks for the input guys; one of the main concerns I have with the DSG is its long-term cost (including the fluid changes as matmanx1 pointed out). If it breaks out of warranty, I can't imagine it would be cheap to repair, compared to a manual.

I went with the DSG on my Golf R, mainly because Vancouver's traffic is horrendous during rush hour. I have S2T paddles on mine and "manual" shifting is a joy with perfect near-instant shifts everytime. By most owner accounts, the manual isn't a very good one in the R, especially if you upgrade it power-wise. I've had two manual cars including my very first car, and I had deposits on two 6MT Rs before finding this one, and I have zero regrets about my decision.

There are two active circle-jerk threads about this dilemma in the MK7 Golf R section of vwvortex, one for each transmission choice. I suggest reading em for some laughs but a lot of good info too.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7829353-Manual-owners-do-you-regret-your-choice

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...getting-a-DSG-because-it-s-faster-than-manual

lol, I read those threads and they didn't disappoint, like some of the more hilarious threads on the gaming side here. And yeah, it seems like VW put in the manual transmission as an afterthought, not to mention losing boost during gear changes. I'll definitely have to do a test drive to see for myself, but when I test drove a 2015 GTI with DSG, I really liked the transmission.

matmanx1

Well, this is pretty close to what I just did when I bought the GX470. Mine's a 2004 with 118k and the powertrain in these vehicles have been known to go upwards of 300,000 miles with no issues (I have a co-worker with a 2003 Tundra that has over 300,000 miles and he's only done regular maintenance).

I did consider the LS series, both the 400 and the 430. Lexus/Toyota V8 cars are great cruisers and really comfortable. The only reason I went with the GX was because I wanted the truck frame and the 4 wheel drive. The LS would serve you well and I would point you towards clublexus.com which is where I found the private seller for my GX. Good luck!

ShowDog

I can see if I can find you a cheap 6MT Acura TL 2004-2006. I have seen clean one owner ones for $7k or less. Much better MPG, almost as comfy, and much faster. And the gearbox is almost as good as the S2K's, maybe 80% as good.

I've always liked the 6MT TL along with the 5MT IS300 but I haven't been able to find any that aren't beat. I'd probably jump on a clean one without tons of miles. If you see anything and send it my way I'd sure appreciate it. I've also considered the GS 430 but for the price over the LS it didn't seem worth it.

Well, this is pretty close to what I just did when I bought the GX470. Mine's a 2004 with 118k and the powertrain in these vehicles have been known to go upwards of 300,000 miles with no issues (I have a co-worker with a 2003 Tundra that has over 300,000 miles and he's only done regular maintenance).

I did consider the LS series, both the 400 and the 430. Lexus/Toyota V8 cars are great cruisers and really comfortable. The only reason I went with the GX was because I wanted the truck frame and the 4 wheel drive. The LS would serve you well and I would point you towards clublexus.com which is where I found the private seller for my GX. Good luck!

I've got some family that have put about 250k+ on their GX470 and they love it. They've never once used any of the surprisingly capable off-roading features, I think they "need" a truck chassis vehicle for tax purposes so it's a highway cruiser and a great one at that.

Evo X

Just picked up the car after Xpel Ultimate wrap and Modesta coating. Looks insanely clean. Professional shots and video on the way. Crappy cell pics for now. lol

26536663506_d0fadcef3b_k.jpg

25959742663_13dc6a2044_k.jpg

26562675085_16fdec4a30_k.jpg

I'm rebuilding an 80 express with a 60cc kit, intake and gutted exhaust. Should get me up around 45+, I can already get a stock one to 30 with just the exhaust.

The ruckus is cool but I wanted something with a bit more power for the future. I found a guy local with a grom I can mess around with, so I'm gonna see what's good with it this weekend.

So, this is a long time coming and very late, but I just wanted to thank AutoGaf for their help earlier in January and February of this year when I was strongly considering some cars. I was originally considering entry level cars in the BMW, Mercedes, and Jaguar line up and with AutoGaf's help, I started to consider Infiniti, Lexus, and more. Everything from entry level BMW 3 series to the Jaguar F Type and Tesla Model S for myself. In the end, I ended up getting a Porsche Cayman S 2015 for my mom and a used Porsche Boxster 2005 for myself.

It's the first time I've used NeoGaf for something other than games, I rarely stray from the gaming discussions threads.

Special thanks to SliChillax, AlphaSnake (congrats on that beautiful car!), mbkenyon, and nib95. Anyone else I forgot, I apologize, but thank you as well!

Evo X

nice! full wrap or just front?

The highlighted areas are wrapped, but the whole thing including wheels, calipers, and glass is coated. $2,500 for the wrap, and an additional $2,000 for the coating. Wrapping the rest would have doubled the price and seemed unnecessary as all the high wear areas are protected with this configuration.

I didn't want to spend more than $5K, so it was either just full wrap or partial wrap + coating and I went with the second option.

80-screen_shot_2016_03_05_at_11_20_05_am_368ae5b69e2917cb2c99e41dc5f13cb1834018f5.png

The highlighted areas are wrapped, but the whole thing including wheels, calipers, and glass is coated. $2,500 for the wrap, and an additional $2,000 for the coating. Wrapping the rest would have doubled the price and seemed unnecessary as all the high wear areas are protected with this configuration.

I didn't want to spend more than $5K, so it was either just full wrap or partial wrap + coating and I went with the second option.

80-screen_shot_2016_03_05_at_11_20_05_am_368ae5b69e2917cb2c99e41dc5f13cb1834018f5.png

smart, very smart....I think full wrap is only worth it if you do a complete color change.

A buddy and I are going to do the whole paint correction/CQuartz thing in a week or so. Looking forward to it.

its a lot of work but also very satisfying doing it yourself. i'd wash the car the night before and start on paint correction first thing in the morning.

overall, its a very simple process.

matmanx1

Just picked up the car after Xpel Ultimate wrap and Modesta coating. Looks insanely clean. Professional shots and video on the way. Crappy cell pics for now. lol

26536663506_d0fadcef3b_k.jpg

25959742663_13dc6a2044_k.jpg

26562675085_16fdec4a30_k.jpg

Wow. That looks amazing and super clean. Nicely done.

So, this is a long time coming and very late, but I just wanted to thank AutoGaf for their help earlier in January and February of this year when I was strongly considering some cars. I was originally considering entry level cars in the BMW, Mercedes, and Jaguar line up and with AutoGaf's help, I started to consider Infiniti, Lexus, and more. Everything from entry level BMW 3 series to the Jaguar F Type and Tesla Model S for myself. In the end, I ended up getting a Porsche Cayman S 2015 for my mom and a used Porsche Boxster 2005 for myself.

It's the first time I've used NeoGaf for something other than games, I rarely stray from the gaming discussions threads.

Special thanks to SliChillax, AlphaSnake (congrats on that beautiful car!), mbkenyon, and nib95. Anyone else I forgot, I apologize, but thank you as well!

Congrats on the new Porsche's! How's your mom like her Cayman? I have to say that the Cayman makes a pretty cool "mom" car!

Stinkles

what the heck is that? I've never seen anything like that before. Are they common?
I think I want one now...

yep. There's a massive custom scene, since they're (relatively) cheap and incredibly easy to modify. Hell I am not mechanical and I tricked mine out with parts from Amazon and a borrowed torque driver when I couldn't get the clutch plate off with my bare hands and a wrench. Called the Zoomer in japan, Ruckus in NA. It's 49cc so in the States, you often don't need a motorcycle endorsement on your license to ride it, so they're really easy to own.

1 gallon tank, does about 100 miles to a gallon. Stock top speed is about 39mph, so every mph you get above that feels like a moonshot. Mine does almost 55 now. One day I'm going to take it on the freeway (if there's bad traffic lol) It's super addictive. And they make people smile, even with obnoxiously loud exhaust.

Here's the stock version:

And a couple of my favorite mods.

mIoZmPp.jpg

GJ5P7vw.jpg

C7hFcmr.jpg

The Tesla defense force always makes me laugh lol.

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for! Nice ride, but not quite fly out to Texas and buy from used car dealer nice. Thanks for the heads up

Not a problem. I usually scan AT once a week for cool/cheap stuff... fortunately I haven't found a car that'll make me immediately let go of my Miata. It's all been the same thing that I've been talking about here the last few months lol.

Goddamn son.

So uh where did the Grim Reaper leave the sign up sheet to drive this thing?

yep. There's a massive custom scene, since they're (relatively) cheap and incredibly easy to modify. Hell I am not mechanical and I tricked mine out with parts from Amazon and a borrowed torque driver when I couldn't get the clutch plate off with my bare hands and a wrench. Called the Zoomer in japan, Ruckus in NA. It's 49cc so in the States, you often don't need a motorcycle endorsement on your license to ride it, so they're really easy to own.

1 gallon tank, does about 100 miles to a gallon. Stock top speed is about 39mph, so every mph you get above that feels like a moonshot. Mine does almost 55 now. One day I'm going to take it on the freeway (if there's bad traffic lol) It's super addictive. And they make people smile, even with obnoxiously loud exhaust.

These things are legal in the US?!

Holy shit, where do I buy one??

Congrats on the new Porsche's! How's your mom like her Cayman? I have to say that the Cayman makes a pretty cool "mom" car!

Her dream cars are Porsche sport cars. I don't know why I didn't consider one before when I asked about getting a car for myself. I felt bad about getting say a Jaguar F Type for myself while she drove an old 1999 Toyota Camry. When I took her to the BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Audi, Infiniti, Jaguar, Hyundai, Mazda, and etc dealers as I was getting a car for myself to ask which ones she liked most, she gave me her opinions on some of the cars and which one she liked. However, we randomly stopped by the Porsche dealership on the way back. I didn't think I could afford a Porsche, since I always imagined they'd be way more expensive considering their reputation for reliability, performance, brand, etc.

Well, she seemed to still love the Porsche cars and kept looking at the 911, Cayman, Boxster, etc. So I just decided to get her a new Porsche instead of a new car for myself. I test drove a 2007 Porsche 911 Targa just to see what Porsche cars were all about. I was first disappointed in the interior as the dashboard and console looked old, crappy, and non-intuitive. There was no AUX in, no bluetooth, nothing I expected it to have even back in 2007. But then I actually drove it. And none of that mattered. I test drove all the other cars I was considering (except the Jaguar XE since it didn't come out in the US yet) and for whatever reason, the Porsche 911 made me smile as I drove it. The only problem is that the power it had was way more than my mom needed. I mean, she only goes grocery shopping and visits my grandmother, right?

So I ended up looking at the Porsche Cayman S and found a good deal at the Porsche dealer. I test drove it and it still gave me a big smile as I sat behind the wheel and drove it around. Surprised her with the car and she was really happy. She didn't need, expect, nor want a new car, but I think it was a really nice surprise for her.

My next car will probably be a 911 for myself, but I'll wait it out and see what the next refresh/new models will be like, especially with the new Mission E concept car being unveiled recently and everything. Until then, I decided to get a used Porsche Boxster 2005 as my daily driver and it's still awesome. It's old so I fixed it up a bit, replaced or upgraded certain things like headlights, tail lights, side markers, speakers, fixed the spoiler, radio, etc. But despite how old it is, it still puts a smile on my face as I drive it and hear the engine. So I'm satisfied with the cars for now.

However, the only thing I'm worried about is that my mom, despite loving the Cayman S a lot, feels burdened when she drives the car. She's actually a good driver, but she's afraid of other people hitting, touching, denting, or just hurting the car since it's so nice. So if she's so afraid, I may just sell the car at some point and get a Macan S for her instead or something else. We'll see.

But again, thank you to NeoGaf's AutoGaf group members for helping me decide on a car and giving me tips on test driving and what to look out for.

Porsche. There is no substitute. :D

Haha. Thanks, Evo for reminding me of the AutoGaf community. And yes, I had no interest in Porsche cars until I actually drove one. I guess it's true what they say about Porsches. There is no substitute.

Did you end up going to any of the Porsche 991.2 Unveiling Parties at your Porsche dealers?

Evo X

Haha. Thanks, Evo for reminding me of the AutoGaf community. And yes, I had no interest in Porsche cars until I actually drove one. I guess it's true what they say about Porsches. There is no substitute.

Did you end up going to any of the Porsche 991.2 Unveiling Parties at your Porsche dealers?

Going to one next Saturday.

Stinkles

These things are legal in the US?!

Holy shit, where do I buy one??

Honda dealer! The resale value is really good, so you are probably better off buying new. Most of the modifications will invalidate your warranty, obviously, so one other approach is to buy someone else's project.

But half the fun is figuring out what YOU want to do to the bike.

Anion

I love how AutoGaf convinced you to buy not one, but two Porsches hahaha :)

Well done gentlemen, well done.

Congrats and show us pics too whenever you get a chance!

AlphaSnake

I'm getting Xpel Ultimate done on the front of my XKR, as well. The Ultimate has a spray coat to prevent bugs from sticking. That's pretty cool. My detailer quoted me $500, which is a great price. The film retails for $450 (I'm guessing his cost is around 375-400), so he isn't charging a whole lot on labor.

Evo X

I'm getting Xpel Ultimate done on the front of my XKR, as well. The Ultimate has a spray coat to prevent bugs from sticking. That's pretty cool. My detailer quoted me $500, which is a great price. The film retails for $450 (I'm guessing his cost is around 375-400), so he isn't charging a whole lot on labor.

That seems crazy cheap. No way that includes paint correction, right?

AlphaSnake

That seems crazy cheap. No way that includes paint correction, right?

The front bumper doesn't really need any paint correction. He still might do a quick polish on it, I'll ask him. But I know for sure he will do a very light sealant before he applies the film. Normally, they strip the waxes off the car before application. But some detailers say a very thin layer of sealant should still be applied before the water solution goes over it. It'll prevent the clear film from sticking to the paint if it ever has to come off. Also will protect the clearcoat from the sun to preserve color.

Honda dealer! The resale value is really good, so you are probably better off buying new. Most of the modifications will invalidate your warranty, obviously, so one other approach is to buy someone else's project.

I was thinking out loud about getting a Zoomer when I was living in Japan, and one of my coworkers who was big in to motorcycles just laughed at me and said "you're too big man!"

...I've gotten significantly bigger since then living in America again. On the other hand, I give less of a fuck what I look like these days. And Ruckus is an even better name for these things, just perfect.

So someone caught me in full attack mode at Lemons and the results are delicious.

Seriously I cannot wait to go racing again, there's nothing better.

https://youtu.be/Tl4I3siggxE?t=83

A few buddies and myself just started the other night on our lemons car. I'm super stoked to get into legit racing. Even if we don't make lemons were gonna try to get on the track in some form or another.

Day 1 went well...lol.

Were using a B4 audi a4 as our platform since 2 of the guys on the team own a vw/audi shop so they'll have the knowledge,tools and extra parts for us.

Honda/bike dealer? Depending on your state you'll need an M class license for it instead of just a D class for most mopeds under 50mph.

I drive past a bike dealer daily for work and I've never seen one of these outside their shop lol. I'll definitely stop by one of these days and ask, they look really interesting.

As for the license, I actually don't know about that stuff here in Texas lol. I've never really been interested in motorcycles since drivers here are utter shit and it's a one way ticket to death imo.

As for the license, I actually don't know about that stuff here in Texas lol. I've never really been interested in motorcycles since drivers here are utter shit and it's a one way ticket to death imo.

Can easily find out by checking the DMV website. If it's like the NYS site you can check what class each motor vehicle falls under. It also depends on your area, here in NY you can register an MB5 as a lower class (it does over 50mph) that doesn't require an M class license because of the engine size. Same goes for odd ball stuff that the DMV doesn't see a lot of.

From my local police station:

CgsrTZbUkAA5zhI.jpg

Racing will NOT be tolerated in Arlington. Two cars racing down S. Cooper St. & didn't realize APD was behind them
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ArlingtonPD/status/723719789294706688[/tweet]

"Racing" lololol.

I'm pretty sure those Honda Ruckus' are faster than those pieces of crap haha.

Can easily find out by checking the DMV website. If it's like the NYS site you can check what class each motor vehicle falls under. It also depends on your area, here in NY you can register an MB5 as a lower class (it does over 50mph) that doesn't require an M class license because of the engine size. Same goes for odd ball stuff that the DMV doesn't see a lot of.

From the Texas DMV:

Moped Restriction (K restriction)

A motorcycle riding test is not required to operate a moped. A Class M with a “K” restriction allows an individual to ride mopeds, but not motorcycles.

A scooter is not a legal vehicle classification. Scooters are legally classified as either a moped or motorcycle.

To be eligible for a “K” restriction, the moped the individual is riding must be on the list of certified mopeds.

If the moped is not on the list, answer the following questions to find out if it qualifies as a moped:

Can it travel more than 30 miles per hour?
Does it require the individual to shift gears?
Does it have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters?

If the answer is YES to any of these questions, then the moped is classified as a motorcycle and the individual is not eligible for the “K” restriction.

If the answer is NO to all three questions, download the moped affidavit and take it to the moped dealer or manufacturer for completion. Please bring the completed affidavit to any driver license office to receive the “K” restriction.

Boooooooooooooooo.

Evo X

From my local police station:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ArlingtonPD/status/723719789294706688[/tweet]

"Racing" lololol.

I'm pretty sure those Honda Ruckus' are faster than those pieces of crap haha.

lol. Racing in quotation marks is exactly what I was going to respond with. I'm surprised those cars were able to go above the speed limit.

A few buddies and myself just started the other night on our lemons car. I'm super stoked to get into legit racing. Even if we don't make lemons were gonna try to get on the track in some form or another.

Day 1 went well...lol.

Were using a B4 audi a4 as our platform since 2 of the guys on the team own a vw/audi shop so they'll have the knowledge,tools and extra parts for us.
Tearing out is easier than building back up! >.<

And enjoy your money pit! How are you feeling about the Audi? Seems like a complicated machine for thrashing a beat to shit car? I like it, though, people will get a kick out of seeing it on track for sure.

Tearing out is easier than building back up! >.<

And enjoy your money pit! How are you feeling about the Audi? Seems like a complicated machine for thrashing a beat to shit car? I like it, though, people will get a kick out of seeing it on track for sure.

I'm not big on the audi being a Honda guy myself but, the amount of parts available to us on the cheap due to some of the team members owning a shop was too good to pass up. In all honesty aside from the dashboard being a rats nest of wiring and god knows what the rest of the car was fairly simple and not too much appears to be in the way. Obviously that will all change once we start getting ready to bend and put in the cage..etc. I'm just super excited to be building a car with a few buds and get out there racing!

Top Bottom