• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Yo what up guys, haven't been posting much lately cause I've been crazy busy, but I have to brag on my dad a little. This is a truck we've been working on for a customer for quite some time and we just got it on the road a few days ago. It's a 1967 Chevy 1 ton dually, and up until 1973 the duallys didn't have a dually bed like you see today, they were flat beds, box trucks, wreckers, etc. So my dad fabricated the bed on this truck to appear like a factory narrow bed and fabricated extensions to bolt on the factory step side rear fenders. He also made the running boards and tail light brackets and did the body and paint. I did much of the welding including patching some rust that the truck had. We're very happy with how it turned out, and I'm really proud of my dad's work.

Wow, that's awesome! Wouldn't look out of place at the Kent farm. Are you Superman?

More pics since I literally just finished washing it an hour ago:

Great job! Looks gorgeous. I'm super anal about keeping my stuff in good condition. Small things go a long way as the years go buy and pay huge dividends whenever it's time to sell. Dealer just told me they sold my Cayman GTS after only 2 weeks on the lot and the buyer paid crazy money for it since it was so clean. And that's after I took it on a 2,300 mile cross country trip!

Not surprised as there were only 7 GTS' for sale that were optioned like mine with the combo of PDK, PTV, and X73. Seeing your car and pictures of my old one kinda wish I had gone Red again. ;)

Speaking of BMW...

Local dealer had a demo M2. I had an hour to kill, so I gave it a whirl.

It's no substitute for a Cayman though. ;)

Hey, long time no see! Welcome back.

The M2 has been really intriguing me lately. I would love to take one for a spin. Thinking about picking one up as a daily. I'd get it in manual with that same blue color.

How do you think it would compliment the GT4 as a second vehicle? Worth it or go for something more practical?

You just answered my question on the previous page to the T with this post. I am currently sitting between an M2 in LBB and a Cayman S in Miami Blue. I've yet to have a chance to drive the M2, though, as no dealers around me have one sitting on the lot.

I'm thinking it's gonna be the Cayman S, and your post helps push me in that direction.

If you don't need more than 2 seats, no BMW compares to Porsche IMO. You are comparing a purpose built mid-engined sports car to an inherently compromised hopped up sports sedan. Trust me, as someone who has a long history with BMW M cars ever since I learned to drive.

Jackson

You just answered my question on the previous page to the T with this post. I am currently sitting between an M2 in LBB and a Cayman S in Miami Blue. I've yet to have a chance to drive the M2, though, as no dealers around me have one sitting on the lot.

I'm thinking it's gonna be the Cayman S, and your post helps push me in that direction.

Oh! Well happy to help then. :)

As Evo said if you don't need the extra back seats (which only small kids could use, maybe a single adult kinda positioned sideways for a short trip, or also used as extra cargo space) then it's no contest.

However, just a fair bit of warning to you... Price wise at $66k the 718 Cayman S starts at $4k more than a fully optioned out M2 and to be honest Porsche is king of the option & packages. So you'd probably be looking at another $10k-$15k in options if you really wanted the car you were looking for. And if you buy one directly off the lot it'd be hard to find a base Cayman S (especially the S) with no options as dealers love to tack those on (it's where Porsche makes their money). So ya... Let's say $75k-$80k vs $51k-$62k. That's a pretty big gulf, but maybe you're simply cross shopping regardless of price! If you can afford it, get it!

But if price is more of an issue, then I think you're better off comparing apples-to-apples with the base 718 Cayman (with some options) vs the fully- loaded M2. Or get a slightly used 981 Cayman S (which could go down in price a lot if people dig the 718, or hold value really well being the last NA Cayman... too early to tell!)

But Caymans are awesome. I bought one cross shopping a lot of cars, and it won out because they are so good for their price range. Mid-engine sports cars are like heroine.

Honestly, the M2 is a canyon-focused 2 series decked out with a spiffy new color with some more aggressive body work and some stick on carbon fiber interior bits. It's cool. It's fun, but if you can afford it get the Cayman.

Also the Cayman looks so darn good lol.

The dealer I was at had a couple of i8's on the floor, bunch of M6 GC's with competition packages, the only M2 for miles around, M4's, M5's, yada yada. Anyway as I drove away 3 salesmen walked up to me during a busy weekend day to drool over the car and complement the exhaust (which is freaking amazing, destroys the M2's exhaust, which again wasn't bad at all).

So ya... get a Cayman! :D That blue looks really good on the new 718. Get the sports exhaust. It's bonkers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ToZyuGlQBM vs M2 exhaust http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AcBWuNikfI

That's a picture of mah hawtness vs an M2.
xFQLlrq.jpg

2016-bmw-m2-3-970x647-c.jpg

Hey, long time no see! Welcome back.

The M2 has been really intriguing me lately. I would love to take one for a spin. Thinking about picking one up as a daily. I'd get it in manual with that same blue color.

How do you think it would compliment the GT4 as a second vehicle? Worth it or go for something more practical?

Thanks! It has been awhile. :) And of course you're thinking of dailying an M2... because if I was, you were! haha Someday we'll disagree on a vehicle we both like. Maybe.(Probably not).

Anyway, the GT4 is (of course) way more track focused than my car, so I'll just talk from my GTS perspective.

I felt like the M2 was far too similar to own as a second car. But when I hopped back into my car, the M2 smiles I had quickly drifted away as literally everything in that car was a downgrade to the Cayman.

So, personally, if I had a GT4 and wanted a DD I'd probably look for something that changes things up more than a worse version of my weekend/track car, ya know? The M2 is really trying to be an 1M for the masses (but it looks better and is better). I wouldn't go so far as to say "get something practical." I'd just say get something different. For me I think I'd still want something fast, but that also offers a more plush experience. Doesn't have to have 4 doors, but I think it does need good functional back seats.

Didn't you used to have like an '08 C63?? I feel like you did.

Anyway in the $60k range I'd probably look into something used to get more bang for my buck. Maybe like a 2013/2014 RS5 (I have a soft spot for that car, so it might just be me). It's easy on the eyes, sporty, fast and fun, but also with plenty of comfort and it can carry 4 adult passengers. Now if the RS5 was your only car and you wanted a dual purpose DD & canyon carver? Then no, this isn't the bleeding knife-edge precision you'd want. But because you already have one of the best scalpels on the planet anything resembling it (unless you go upward) is a downgraded copy and will probably just leave you feeling frustrated. And since the M2 was a downgrade from a GTS, it'll be even more amplified to you.

Other $60k cars? Used Lexus RC-F, it's a track porker, but could be a fun road warrior. It's got a lot of fun japanese electronics. It's kind of a baby LFA. But worse on the track, but again who cares? You should check it out.

Obviously a '14 C63 AMG.

Or! A fun idea might be to keep it in the Porsche family and get a Macan S. Have you driven one? I have and it is literally the most fun driving SUV ever! It's an SUV that actually drives like a sports car. No hyperbole. It's an engineering marvel. I'd get one, but the wife doesn't want a 5 seater SUV, she wants 7 seater, so it's out. Seriously though... Test one! GT4 + Macan S? Pretty sick combo lol. (Or pay a lot more and get a Macan GTS).

I'd also offer up a used M4, but you know I hate the M4, having lived with it for a week. :)

Evo X

Thanks! It has been awhile. :) And of course you're thinking of dailying an M2... because if I was, you were! haha Someday we'll disagree on a vehicle we both like. Maybe.(Probably not).

Anyway, the GT4 is (of course) way more track focused than my car, so I'll just talk from my GTS perspective.

I felt like the M2 was far too similar to own as a second car. But when I hopped back into my car, the M2 smiles I had quickly drifted away as literally everything in that car was a downgrade to the Cayman.

So, personally, if I had a GT4 and wanted a DD I'd probably look for something that changes things up more than a worse version of my weekend/track car, ya know? The M2 is really trying to be an 1M for the masses (but it looks better and is better). I wouldn't go so far as to say "get something practical." I'd just say get something different. For me I think I'd still want something fast, but that also offers a more plush experience. Doesn't have to have 4 doors, but I think it does need good functional back seats.

Didn't you used to have like an '08 C63?? I feel like you did.

Anyway in the $60k range I'd probably look into something used to get more bang for my buck. Maybe like a 2013/2014 RS5 (I have a soft spot for that car, so it might just be me). It's easy on the eyes, sporty, fast and fun, but also with plenty of comfort and it can carry 4 adult passengers. Now if the RS5 was your only car and you wanted a dual purpose DD & canyon carver? Then no, this isn't the bleeding knife-edge precision you'd want. But because you already have one of the best scalpels on the planet anything resembling it (unless you go upward) is a downgraded copy and will probably just leave you feeling frustrated. And since the M2 was a downgrade from a GTS, it'll be even more amplified to you.

Other $60k cars? Used Lexus RC-F, it's a track porker, but could be a fun road warrior. It's got a lot of fun japanese electronics. It's kind of a baby LFA. But worse on the track, but again who cares? You should check it out.

Obviously a '14 C63 AMG.

Or! A fun idea might be to keep it in the Porsche family and get a Macan S. Have you driven one? I have and it is literally the most fun driving SUV ever! It's an SUV that actually drives like a sports car. No hyperbole. It's an engineering marvel. I'd get one, but the wife doesn't want a 5 seater SUV, she wants 7 seater, so it's out. Seriously though... Test one! GT4 + Macan S? Pretty sick combo lol. (Or pay a lot more and get a Macan GTS).

I'd also offer up a used M4, but you know I hate the M4, having lived with it for a week. :)

This will come as a huge shock to you, but the Macan GTS is at the top of my list for a daily right now and I also hate the M4. lol

I drove the Macan Turbo at the track last year and it blew my expectations away of what an SUV could do. Honestly preferred it to the Panamera GTS I drove right after it.

The way I specced mine is ~$85K though. More than I want to spend at the moment. Perhaps if I get married, I can justify it as the wife's car. lol

I know the feeling you are referring to when testing cars. Having owned the Cayman GTS and now GT4, I've got such high standards that I leave most other cars disappointed. Suppose that is both a good and bad thing.

On the topic of other choices for dailies, I didn't like the RC-F when I drove it 2 months ago. Looked really bloated in person and going back to a non-DCT auto felt lazy and slow. Never driven an RS5, but loved the 2016 C63S I drove. That is also a top contender, but quite expensive as well.

Of course, I'd love to pick up an S-Class coupe like my brother as it seems to be the perfect compliment to the GT4 in terms of luxury, comfort, space, and tech, but no way I can afford to drop $150K on a second car.

A lot of people on Rennlist are picking up new Golf Rs as dailies. From what I've read, they're fast, fun, inconspicuous, practical and relatively inexpensive. Might go test drive one of those.

Couple of quick shots of my Boxster S and my dad's 993. He had to take it to the shop, so we went together. It was fun :p

Gorgeous. Silver is such a timeless color. I wish my father was into cars, but he couldn't really give a crap whether he is in a Toyota or a Porsche as long as it gets him where he wants to go.

Yeah, definitely a fun hobby to share with the 'old man'. Though an attitude towards cars such as your dad's would have made life so much cheaper :p.

SliChillax

Speaking of BMW...

Local dealer had a demo M2. I had an hour to kill, so I gave it a whirl.

6K8IOGl.jpg

6KgUYyP.jpg

It's $62k fully optioned with carbon fiber bits, $51k starting. It looks better in person than in photos. Especially a fun color like this. I would describe it as handsome, not gorgeous. With the exhaust and it's color it definitely got looks on the road (which is a plus since most BMWs look incredibly boring or just plain odd).

It's got a nice exhaust note (could be louder imo, but I think I have problems in the "it could be louder" department). You can definitely feel the turbo lag, but it's not obnoxiously pronounced like in some cars where you slam your foot down, get nothing then get a massive rush. I've driven an Audi S3 (which I'd say is a direct competitor) and the turbo lag on that car is inexcusable. In that car power goes from a drip feed for 2 seconds to an instant headrush. I hated it. Anyway, the M2 (being an I6) has some initial oofmph, then the juice kicks in with a rush (but not kick you in the back of the head kind of rush).

Steering feel was great, Sport+ takes off TC (and ESC?) so flooring it hard or cornering makes it get squirrely (in a good way, not in a "oh man I can't handle this car, I'm gonna crash it" the way the RWD F-Type R feels like). Overall it felt very competent and strong.

It was a paddle shifter, shifts felt good, no problems there. Was comfy. Brakes were touchy/grabby compared to my car. Probably something you just get used to. I'd rather save $2.5k can get the manual option though.

Bottom line -- When I parked back at the dealer I had a big smile on my face and that's all that really matters. This is a really good car for the money that would make anyone happy as a DD with extra room in the back (for storage, lulz @ 2 adults sitting back there) and some nice trunk space that they could also occasionally track and have a good time with!

It's no substitute for a Cayman though. ;)

There is a very simple mod that takes 2 seconds to lock the valves open in the exhaust and it makes more noise. There's also an M performance exhaust which sounds amazing but it's too expensive, might as well wait for a better built and cheaper Akrapovic exhaust. Also how many miles did the car have? If the car hadn't done its break in process, then the engine will not work to its full potential, thus turbo lag etc. I've never heard anyone complain about turbo lag in the M2 so I find it weird. Also, unless you're very tall and need to put your seat way back, you can definitely fit 2 adults in the back. It's no Rolls Royce but they fit, especially if you don't have the sunroof option which brings the roof down a little .

This will come as a huge shock to you, but the Macan GTS is at the top of my list for a daily right now and I also hate the M4. lol

I drove the Macan Turbo at the track last year and it blew my expectations away of what an SUV could do. Honestly preferred it to the Panamera GTS I drove right after it.

The way I specced mine is ~$85K though. More than I want to spend at the moment. Perhaps if I get married, I can justify it as the wife's car. lol

I know the feeling you are referring to when testing cars. Having owned the Cayman GTS and now GT4, I've got such high standards that I leave most other cars disappointed. Suppose that is both a good and bad thing.

On the topic of other choices for dailies, I didn't like the RC-F when I drove it 2 months ago. Looked really bloated in person and going back to a non-DCT auto felt lazy and slow. Never driven an RS5, but loved the 2016 C63S I drove. That is also a top contender, but quite expensive as well.

Of course, I'd love to pick up an S-Class coupe like my brother as it seems to be the perfect compliment to the GT4 in terms of luxury, comfort, space, and tech, but no way I can afford to drop $150K on a second car.

A lot of people on Rennlist are picking up new Golf Rs as dailies. From what I've read, they're fast, fun, inconspicuous, practical and relatively inexpensive. Might go test drive one of those.

Gorgeous. Silver is such a timeless color. I wish my father was into cars, but he couldn't really give a crap whether he is in a Toyota or a Porsche as long as it gets him where he wants to go.
If it was my money and I already had a GT4, I'd probably pick the Golf R. It's refined, fast and very nice to look at. I would reccomend the Focus RS but I hate the way it looks and the interior is depressing. Also manual only if you want an auto for everyday use.

Same here. When I was younger with Porsches people would always ask me what Porsche my dad had as well, to which I'd respond "A base model Dodge Neon." Because the cheapest Chrysler product is all he ever drove. Same thing with my mom, though I think they were starting to get it after being in my 996 and 911--that there is a whole wide world of vehicles that don't squeak, rattle, and break all the time.

matmanx1

Yo what up guys, haven't been posting much lately cause I've been crazy busy, but I have to brag on my dad a little. This is a truck we've been working on for a customer for quite some time and we just got it on the road a few days ago. It's a 1967 Chevy 1 ton dually, and up until 1973 the duallys didn't have a dually bed like you see today, they were flat beds, box trucks, wreckers, etc. So my dad fabricated the bed on this truck to appear like a factory narrow bed and fabricated extensions to bolt on the factory step side rear fenders. He also made the running boards and tail light brackets and did the body and paint. I did much of the welding including patching some rust that the truck had. We're very happy with how it turned out, and I'm really proud of my dad's work.

26758262015_b5908b3b69_c.jpg

26732944126_b072d491a3_c.jpg

26691378681_05d8ef695a_c.jpg

Looks great! And the bodywork modifications are really good. It looks "factory custom", like you know it didn't come like that from the factory, but it maybe it could have, which is a good place to be. I dig it.

That's awesome man!

Classic trucks somehow speak to me, whereas the modern trucks seem like POS' to me lol.

This is the world telling you to get this:

Lol.

More pics since I literally just finished washing it an hour ago:

I've been in New Orleans the past week for work so what better way to get re-acquainted with your baby with a car wash right?

Clean and shiny and beautiful. And yeah, my wife is now 100% ready for me to be rid of the BMW, even if we have to sell it at a loss (which we will, because I am a couple thousand upside down right now).

She wants me to just drive the GX470 and be back to two vehicles for the household but I would rather trade the BMW for something else small, light and with a manual gearbox. The upside of her preference is it would leave us with no car loan and therefore accelerate my garage building plans. The downside is I would have nothing sporty to drive and I am afraid I would start to hate that before too long.

Therefore, I am today doing some window shopping online of sub $10k cars that are my preference. So far I've found an 06 RSX and an 09 Civic Si nearby. No NC Miata's in my price bracket yet but I did just start looking. We'll see.

Couple of quick shots of my Boxster S and my dad's 993. He had to take it to the shop, so we went together. It was fun :p

Woohoo, family Porsche time! Very nice.

She wants me to just drive the GX470 and be back to two vehicles for the household but I would rather trade the BMW for something else small, light and with a manual gearbox. The upside of her preference is it would leave us with no car loan and therefore accelerate my garage building plans. The downside is I would have nothing sporty to drive and I am afraid I would start to hate that before too long.

I did a three year tour in a Mazda2 to save money for both a house and her new car. It was worth it in the end (and the 2 was a neat little car that cost next to nothing to run).

matmanx1

I did a three year tour in a Mazda2 to save money for both a house and her new car. It was worth it in the end (and the 2 was a neat little car that cost next to nothing to run).

And I may decide that it's worth it to just stick with the GX470 only. It's a fantastic daily driver and a great long distance cruiser with the only downside being that the gas mileage is pretty bad (I think I am averaging about 15mpg back and forth to work).

But at this point I still think I need something small and nimble to drive as a counter-point to the GX, at least once or twice a week like I am doing with the 128i. That's my primary plan anyway.

Evo X

And I may decide that it's worth it to just stick with the GX470 only. It's a fantastic daily driver and a great long distance cruiser with the only downside being that the gas mileage is pretty bad (I think I am averaging about 15mpg back and forth to work).

But at this point I still think I need something small and nimble to drive as a counter-point to the GX, at least once or twice a week like I am doing with the 128i. That's my primary plan anyway.

I am averaging 13mpg in the GT4 right now. How it is doing even worse than your big heavy V8 luxury truck I cannot say. I blame that big ass wing causing drag. lol

On the other matter, I don't know if you are opposed to riding motorcycles, but you can get some crazy fun machines for less than $10K. I'm almost positive my $12K bike is more thrilling than my $120K sports car.

If not, then yeah, NC Miata is the obvious choice. You will definitely be able to negotiate one under that budget.

Not sure where you are located, but I found these after a quick search.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667260523/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/655374476/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667029202/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/660157777/overview/

You might also want to scour car forum classifieds as enthusiasts usually take better care of their cars. Also, in most states, there is no sales tax on used private party vehicles.

cube444

Speaking of BMW, they're retiring their diesel tri-turbo and going for one with four turbos! It'll still be a 3.0 liter inline-6 which now makes 394 horses from 4,000-4,400 rpm. Maximum torque will rated at 561 lb-ft which will be available from 2,000-3,000 rpm. 4.5 seconds for 0-60 time. This will still use the 8-speed auto but might need a beefed up tranny with more clutch/friction plates, torque converter, etc in order to maximize the engine.

My tuned 335d makes those numbers so I wonder what a real tuner can make out of this with a downpipe, catless design among other deletes. Main thing would be getting the tune right but man, the thought of running four turbos would scare the crap out of me. :lol

More on it here:

Link

Fun day today.

Brother gave me the keys to his Mazdaspeed3 for the day, so I gladly obliged and choo-chooed my way to work and back lol.

The biggest thing that became clear to me is the difference in terms of capability between a car with enough power(Miata) and one with too much power(MS3). A high-powered car would get me in trouble almost immediately lol. The corners I'd blast through in my Miata would be at a safe and reasonable speed, but in the MS3... lol nope. There's one section of my commute that's a 4-lane road with the rightmost lane as a merging lane. On my Miata, I'll drop it to 2nd gear and hit the speed limit within a few seconds. On the MS3 I've doubled the speed limit in less time and distance that my Miata gets to the speed limit... it's fncking batshit insane.

Part of me now feels like I shouldn't get a higher powered car since the inner asshole comes out of me with a fast car, but goddamn it was fun. The pull the MS3 does when the turbo kicks in is mental, it pulls you into the seat and it's difficult having to fight gravity and shift gears. Hell, I took my coworker to lunch today in it and this is the first time she asked me to slow the fnck down, yet she doesn't mind if my Miata is screaming at 6k rpms lol.

Then after work, I dropped off the MS3 and went off to meet some people in my Miata and both cars are an excellent complement to each other if you ask me. The MS3 is like the type of dog that's always asking to bet petted and played with, whereas the the Miata is the type of dog that sits with you on the couch to watch Netflix or play video games, but it too can stretch it legs to catch a frisbee or a robber lol.

Anyway, it was a good lesson having a high-powered car as a daily driver. And while I say I shouldn't, I'm now definitely thinking about a Focus ST as a daily and the Miata as a weekender or nice days.

Therefore, I am today doing some window shopping online of sub $10k cars that are my preference. So far I've found an 06 RSX and an 09 Civic Si nearby. No NC Miata's in my price bracket yet but I did just start looking. We'll see.

How long can you wait?

I mentioned to somebody here before but spring/summer is prime Miata selling/buying season so prices are a little higher than average.

Take mine for example, most of the 3rd Gen LE's with similar mileage(58k miles 4 years ago) to when I got it are sitting at $14K right now. When I bought mine 4 years ago in February, it was around $11.5K.

But if you can get bump up your budget, you'll find tons and tons of NC Miata's from 06-2012 that are under $15K. The Sport trims Evo X has been linking are actually the better NC's in terms of it being a fun car as the rev range is wider due to the 5-speed gearbox. That's not to say the 6-speed box is bad, it's literally the same as the 5-speed with an extra gear for overdrive or the highways(thought it's still kinda useless coz 60mph at 6th gear is at 3K rpms lol).

As for the MPG's... well to be fair it's kinda shit lol. Not only do you have to get premium gas, I'm averaging 26-28MPGs on 30% city / 70% highway driving. Sure, it's not as terrible as a truck or any of the higher powered sports cars. But the damn car is 2400lbs at most, with a tiny 2.0L engine... it should be average 30+ MPGs if you ask me. But, and this is the big but... you really won't care about gas mileage once you're in it. It's worth every penny if you ask me.

You might also want to scour car forum classifieds as enthusiasts usually take better care of their cars. Also, in most states, there is no sales tax on used private party vehicles.

This is really good advice too. Most NC owners, for the moment at least, are the serious enthusiasts who really care about their cars. The NA/NB's not so much, hence why you really gotta do some good research for them. But you can pick up an NC even in Craigslist, local FB group, or whatever and you're guaranteed a decent car. It's mostly because the prices are still kinda high and kids thankfully can't get them yet to ruin it lol.

Evo X

Test drove an RS5 today.

Meh. Engine was cool, but seemed a bit out of place in a heavy AWD GT car. Nothing else was really remarkable. Steering felt artificial, handling felt lazy, and tech felt outdated. Only Audi's that capture my attention at the moment are RS7 and R8.

Drove a 2017 Macan GTS right afterwards. Best handling SUV on the planet without a doubt. Still felt huge coming out of the GT4 though. Adequate power. Enough to get you moving, but doesn't push you back in your seat. It looked great and the standard sports exhaust sounded nice. Interior was also fantastic. The new PCM with Apple Carplay was far ahead of the unit I have in the GT4. One of the biggest improvements in the 2017 models. Other than that, what else is there to say. If you want a sporty little 5 seater SUV, you can't really do better. Felt more nimble than the Macan Turbo I drove last year, mostly due to the revised suspension. PDK keeps winning. It somehow felt even smoother and faster than the one in my Cayman GTS. Best auto in the industry by far.

Rear seating room was good. 4 people could fit comfortably in this thing. Tons of space for luggage too. Wouldn't make a bad year round DD. $85K + tax though. At that price, unless you need an SUV, my favorite new vehicle is probably the Mercedes C63S AMG.

Some shitty cell phone pics. You can see like a true Porsche asshole, I parked in both the handicap AND fire lane. lol

26181162174_44bf68e115_h.jpg

26182966693_5a73f9b59d_h.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Test drove an RS5 today.

Meh. Engine was cool, but seemed a bit out of place in a heavy AWD GT car. Nothing else was really remarkable. Steering felt artificial, handling felt lazy, and tech felt outdated. Only Audi's that capture my attention at the moment are RS7 and R8.

Drove a 2017 Macan GTS right afterwards. Best handling SUV on the planet without a doubt. Still felt huge coming out of the GT4 though. Adequate power. Enough to get you moving, but doesn't push you back in your seat. It looked great and the standard sports exhaust sounded nice. Interior was also fantastic. The new PCM with Apple Carplay was far ahead of the unit I have in the GT4. One of the biggest improvements in the 2017 models. Other than that, what else is there to say. If you want a sporty little 5 seater SUV, you can't really do better. Felt more nimble than the Macan Turbo I drove last year, mostly due to the revised suspension. PDK keeps winning. It somehow felt even smoother and faster than the one in my Cayman GTS. Best auto in the industry by far.

Rear seating room was good. 4 people could fit comfortably in this thing. Tons of space for luggage too. Wouldn't make a bad year round DD. $85K + tax though. At that price, unless you need an SUV, my favorite new vehicle is probably the Mercedes C63S AMG.

Some shitty cell phone pics. You can see like a true Porsche asshole, I parked in both the handicap AND fire lane. lol

26181162174_44bf68e115_h.jpg

26182966693_5a73f9b59d_h.jpg

It doesn't get better as far as mid size SUV's go. I think this will be our next daily driver if all goes well over the next year or so.

Doesn't the turbo have more power than the GTS? Or is the GTS a turbo with different styling? Porsches naming system gets confusing sometimes.

Evo X

It doesn't get better as far as mid size SUV's go. I think this will be our next daily driver if all goes well over the next year or so.

Doesn't the turbo have more power than the GTS? Or is the GTS a turbo with different styling? Porsches naming system gets confusing sometimes.

The Turbo has more power(400HP), but the GTS(360HP) has unique styling, better suspension setup, Turbo brakes, and many of the optional performance options as standard.

The GTS models are always the Goldilocks sweet spots when it comes to Porsches.

No Love

Banned
Fun day today.

Brother gave me the keys to his Mazdaspeed3 for the day, so I gladly obliged and choo-chooed my way to work and back lol.

The biggest thing that became clear to me is the difference in terms of capability between a car with enough power(Miata) and one with too much power(MS3). A high-powered car would get me in trouble almost immediately lol. The corners I'd blast through in my Miata would be at a safe and reasonable speed, but in the MS3... lol nope. There's one section of my commute that's a 4-lane road with the rightmost lane as a merging lane. On my Miata, I'll drop it to 2nd gear and hit the speed limit within a few seconds. On the MS3 I've doubled the speed limit in less time and distance that my Miata gets to the speed limit... it's fncking batshit insane.

Part of me now feels like I shouldn't get a higher powered car since the inner asshole comes out of me with a fast car, but goddamn it was fun. The pull the MS3 does when the turbo kicks in is mental, it pulls you into the seat and it's difficult having to fight gravity and shift gears. Hell, I took my coworker to lunch today in it and this is the first time she asked me to slow the fnck down, yet she doesn't mind if my Miata is screaming at 6k rpms lol.

Then after work, I dropped off the MS3 and went off to meet some people in my Miata and both cars are an excellent complement to each other if you ask me. The MS3 is like the type of dog that's always asking to bet petted and played with, whereas the the Miata is the type of dog that sits with you on the couch to watch Netflix or play video games, but it too can stretch it legs to catch a frisbee or a robber lol.

Anyway, it was a good lesson having a high-powered car as a daily driver. And while I say I shouldn't, I'm now definitely thinking about a Focus ST as a daily and the Miata as a weekender or nice days.

You're joking right? Fighting gravity to shift gears? mazdaspeed 3 is a pretty slow car and the torque is mild...

matmanx1

I am averaging 13mpg in the GT4 right now. How it is doing even worse than your big heavy V8 luxury truck I cannot say. I blame that big ass wing causing drag. lol

On the other matter, I don't know if you are opposed to riding motorcycles, but you can get some crazy fun machines for less than $10K. I'm almost positive my $12K bike is more thrilling than my $120K sports car.

If not, then yeah, NC Miata is the obvious choice. You will definitely be able to negotiate one under that budget.

Not sure where you are located, but I found these after a quick search.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667260523/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/655374476/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667029202/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/660157777/overview/

That last link is actually one I found yesterday in Villa Rica, Ga. That's only about an hour or so from where I live so I may check it out this weekend. I still have to clear the hurdle of finding out what's wrong with my car and seeing how much and how long it is going to take to fix.

If it's ready to go by Friday and I don't have to spend a fortune on it then I could probably do some trading this weekend. Otherwise it might be a couple of weeks.

And yeah, I would rather buy from a private party but since I still have a loan on the BMW it would be nice to trade it in at a dealer and just roll the note over to the other vehicle. I'm upside down but at least I would save on the sales tax that way.

GHG

Gold Member
The Turbo has more power(400HP), but the GTS(360HP) has unique styling, better suspension setup, Turbo brakes, and many of the optional performance options as standard.

The GTS models are always the Goldilocks sweet spots when it comes to Porsches.

Ah ok got it. I was surprised to see the GTS still has the turbo engine (detuned) rather than a NA engine like the panamera/cayenne GTS' have. I think a well optioned S model is the sweet spot for the Macan, unless you can find a good deal on a used turbo.

The F-Pace just launched here in Dubai last night so I'll try and get my hands on one for a test drive in the next few weeks. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Macan but I can't see it being anywhere near as good to be honest.

For as much Porsche fandom is in this thread, the lack of 911 talk is a little interesting tbh

That's because the 911 is just a souped up VW beetle.

matmanx1

Ah ok got it. I was surprised to see the GTS still has the turbo engine (detuned) rather than a NA engine like the panamera/cayenne GTS' have. I think a well optioned S model is the sweet spot for the Macan, unless you can find a good deal on a used turbo.

The F-Pace just launched here in Dubai last night so I'll try and get my hands on one for a test drive in the next few weeks. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Macan but I can't see it being anywhere near as good to be honest.

GTS in Porsche speak is a well optioned S at a lower price point as compared to adding all of the options individually. You also get unique wheels, paint and badges so it actually makes the GTS cars sort of a sweet spot for enthusiasts who might have otherwise optioned up an S model. It's been that way for a few years now.

GTS used to mean normally aspirated back in the first gen Cayenne and Pana days but now that is no longer the case.

Smokey

I think some high ups at my job are having a peen war.

They both park in reserved spots. One guy drives a AMG GTS. The other a SL63. I walk by the other day and the dude with the GTS now has a Cayenne GTS, and the SL63 spot now has a Range Rover. Then last Friday the guy with the SL63/Range Rover has a yellow F430 LOL

fuck

matmanx1

I just heard back from the shop and it seems I am getting off easy this time. Wheel speed sensor failure, which is about the cheapest thing that can go wrong to cause the ABS error.

With the brake fluid flush and service I will be out about $500, which is not nearly as bad as it could have been. Had it been the brain module or ABS pump it would have been a 2 grand + repair. Needless to say, I am so relieved.

I should have the car back tomorrow and will hopefully be able to trade it this weekend if all goes well.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Friend called me from the dealer because he always asks me what cars/TVs to buy. Here's his quandary:

Car is for his wife.

He has a Boxster. They have a Toyota Land Cruiser.

She wants something nimble and more fun to drive than the Toyota houseboat to take two boys to baseball practice. She likes driving fast. She lives in the sunny, twisty hills of Northern Cal.

Choices are:

Audi AllRoad.

Porsche Macan.

Audi AllRoad is one of my favorite cars ever, but I told him/her to get the Macan. Because it would be more fun, and do 75% of the AllRoad's practicality.

If she does choose the AllRoad tho, I told her to pay the extra for matching paint/cladding colors.

I'm going to ignore all of the dire warnings and ask some BMW questions. Work has been very good recently and I'm looking to move up from the FR-S some time this year to something a bit more "adult". I haven't driven a BMW since the 318ti was new and have never owned one, but I appreciate a good RWD car with a manual, and they're getting harder to find. I'd like to keep it under $36k before tax/tabs/etc.

My three options:

* New 320i. This will have to be ordered as no dealer carries these in a stick. Essentially would want to order the Jalopnik edition. Pros: backseat for the kids. Cons: slower than the 328/228, low feature content.

* New 228i w/ M Sport package. When I sat in one at an auto show last year it felt cramped, but not as much as the FR-S, and the backseat still usable in emergencies. Pros: faster, I prefer coupes, can get in the great Estoril blue. Cons: other than size, none I can think of.

* Certified 320i/328i. Dealers everywhere have these for low 30s, likely service rentals. Pros: cheap. Cons: stuck with an automatic and not knowing how badly it's been hooned, not the options mix I'd want (don't care about power seats or sunroof).

Thoughts/opinions welcome.

SliChillax

* New 228i w/ M Sport package. When I sat in one at an auto show last year it felt cramped, but not as much as the FR-S, and the backseat still usable in emergencies. Pros: faster, I prefer coupes, can get in the great Estoril blue. Cons: other than size, none I can think of.

Cons of the 228i is that it has no rear lsd. I have an M235i and it desperately needs one.

Speaking of BMW's, I was not expecting this result from this drag race. Considering it was wet, I was expecting the A45 to thrust forward since it has awd and slightly more power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ZCw7G4HhA

No Love

Banned
I just heard back from the shop and it seems I am getting off easy this time. Wheel speed sensor failure, which is about the cheapest thing that can go wrong to cause the ABS error.

With the brake fluid flush and service I will be out about $500, which is not nearly as bad as it could have been. Had it been the brain module or ABS pump it would have been a 2 grand + repair. Needless to say, I am so relieved.

I should have the car back tomorrow and will hopefully be able to trade it this weekend if all goes well.

Congrats, that was a $70 part that takes 10 mins to change.

I didn't know Jeremy Clarkson was part of Auto-GAF.

You're joking right? Fighting gravity to shift gears? mazdaspeed 3 is a pretty slow car and the torque is mild...

LMAO.

Of course I'm joking.

I disagree about it being a slow car though... well, I mean I guess it's slow if you're a shitty driver but if you give it to a decent driver, it's no rocket, but it's fast enough to get you in trouble with the LEO's if you're not careful.

Bandit1

That's awesome man!

Classic trucks somehow speak to me, whereas the modern trucks seem like POS' to me lol.

Wow, that's awesome! Wouldn't look out of place at the Kent farm. Are you Superman?

Thanks guys! (And no not Superman) lol

Looks great! And the bodywork modifications are really good. It looks "factory custom", like you know it didn't come like that from the factory, but it maybe it could have, which is a good place to be. I dig it.

Thanks for that compliment, that's exactly what he was going for when he designed it. The average person might think it's factory, but a savvy gearhead will know that a lot of work went into it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm going to ignore all of the dire warnings and ask some BMW questions. Work has been very good recently and I'm looking to move up from the FR-S some time this year to something a bit more "adult". I haven't driven a BMW since the 318ti was new and have never owned one, but I appreciate a good RWD car with a manual, and they're getting harder to find. I'd like to keep it under $36k before tax/tabs/etc.

My three options:

* New 320i. This will have to be ordered as no dealer carries these in a stick. Essentially would want to order the Jalopnik edition. Pros: backseat for the kids. Cons: slower than the 328/228, low feature content.

* Certified 320i/328i. Dealers everywhere have these for low 30s, likely service rentals. Pros: cheap. Cons: stuck with an automatic and not knowing how badly it's been hooned, not the options mix I'd want (don't care about power seats or sunroof).

320i is dog slow, but $300 tunes unlock the engine to its standard state of tune (245HP) with the option of going up to 280HP.

If you prefer coupes, get the 228i. I've sat in the back seat of these cars a few times, it's surprisingly easy to fit in. I'm 6'1 btw.

Don't buy used.

Consider other cars too. Modern day BMWs are not what they used to be as far as performance.

No Love

Banned
I didn't know Jeremy Clarkson was part of Auto-GAF.

LMAO.

Of course I'm joking.

I disagree about it being a slow car though... well, I mean I guess it's slow if you're a shitty driver but if you give it to a decent driver, it's no rocket, but it's fast enough to get you in trouble with the LEO's if you're not careful.

I was worried for a moment. Lol

Oh Alpha, you need to just be Jag's new American poster boy.

Evo X

Weather was nice so took it out to visit one of my friends who works at a Maserati dealership about 40 miles away. Around 780 miles on her now. Can't wait for break in to be over! That redline is so tempting.

Drove a Ghibli S and Alfa 4C.

Both cars were fun and better than I thought they'd be. My benchmark sport sedan in that price range is still the Mercedes C63S because I think it's a really well sorted package of looks, sound, luxury, and driving enjoyment, but they seem to be offering pretty good deals on these Masers. Preferred it to the equivalent BMW or Audi models. It's definitely got more character than a 5 series or A6.

The 4C was a blast. Felt like a little turbocharged race car. Made all kinds of unique noises. Turbo spool, blow off, exhaust pops and burbles. It was more my style between the two cars. Couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Looks really exotic for the money too, especially since they are taking a lot off sticker on the leftover 15 models. Carbon tub was kind of a hassle to get in and out of, but looked beautiful. It's raw and unrefined, but that's on purpose I assume. Definitely 3rd or 4th car territory. A fun toy to mess around with, but no competition for the GT4 in any regard really. Not sure I'd buy one with my own money, but I wish one of my friends had one so I could take it out once in a while! :D

MZWOxoH.jpg

90bZdnG.jpg

yT3z3kW.jpg

iHqsJJl.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
I want to like the Ghibli and they do sound amazing but I always worry about reliability when it comes to Maseratis, especially with the heat here.

ohkay

For those of you who have driven both, how much of a difference in driving feel is there between a Cayman and a Boxster? I've been looking for a car strictly for fun and I've noticed there's more Boxsters available in my area, so if I were to bite on one I'd probably be able to get a better deal on one.

kharma45

Test drove an RS5 today.

Not surprised, the interior on the RS5 and the switchgear are all from 2007. I wouldn't expect it to feel anything else but outdated.

matmanx1

My three options:

The 320i in Jalopnik spec is your best performance per dollar, especially since you can flash the ecu to get you back to 328i numbers. That being said, the 228i might be worth the extra cash depending on your priorities. I also would not do a used one unless it is exactly what you are looking for and has a warranty.

Congrats, that was a $70 part that takes 10 mins to change.

I could avoid a lot of expense if I was more knowledgeable and had better tools in terms of wrenching on my own cars. That's part of the reason I will be building a garage within the next year or two so at least I have the space to work and some place secure to store my tools.

For those of you who have driven both, how much of a difference in driving feel is there between a Cayman and a Boxster? I've been looking for a car strictly for fun and I've noticed there's more Boxsters available in my area, so if I were to bite on one I'd probably be able to get a better deal on one.

My only experience is with the 987 cars but I found the Cayman to feel sharper and more solid than the Boxster and I also enjoyed the sound more. Something about the Cayman's hatchback design changes the flat 6 sound for the better as opposed to the way it sounds in the Boxster.

Based on my experiences I would not buy another 987 Boxster but I would definitely consider a 987 Cayman. I thought it was fantastic.

SliChillax

The 320i in Jalopnik spec is your best performance per dollar, especially since you can flash the ecu to get you back to 328i numbers. That being said, the 228i might be worth the extra cash depending on your priorities. I also would not do a used one unless it is exactly what you are looking for and has a warranty.

Why not a used one? Unless we're talking about high mileage of course, he could find a good deal on one with 5-15k miles. I got my M235i with 6k miles for 15k under msrp.

Anion

The Ghibi's interior has me kinda torn. It looks like it's trying to be uber high end, but in person it looks like if something is off. Which makes it look like an aftermarket leather technique. The Mercs comparatively is really well done and is completely uniform - while looking natural.

Mine is retreating back into its cave after being attacked by geese. :(

PastelDependableInvisiblerail.gif
Oh gosh. This might explain the marks on my friends car as the are too many geese here...

TylerD

IMO BMW repair costs (especially on older BMW's) is massively overstated for vast majority of the available models. I find that only uninformed people that use the stealership for everything maintenance related are the ones crying and throwing out huge repair bill numbers. It's not uncommon to see repairs for 70-80% less than the dealership would charge.

Also the most interesting thing about Tyler's maintenance log is that you can see his repair costs go do down over the years as he begins to DIY more of it and get parts cheaper himself instead of letting the dealership mark them up 50-250% and bend him over for maintenance.

Nope, I've stayed away from the dealer for everything except to have the passenger airbag replaced so far. Everything from 50-62K miles is previous owner getting bent over at the dealer.

I laughed when I saw how easy pretty much all that shit was to do. It's fun as hell to wrench on your own cars and no one is going to care like the me.

I installed a full interior LED lighting kit from ECS Tuning last weekend and finished up installing Dynamat on my front doors. Have a lot more to do the rear deck but i'm not going to go crazy with it cause it's heavy and my shit is slow enough as it is :D

Top Bottom