• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

For those of you who have driven both, how much of a difference in driving feel is there between a Cayman and a Boxster? I've been looking for a car strictly for fun and I've noticed there's more Boxsters available in my area, so if I were to bite on one I'd probably be able to get a better deal on one.

I've owned both. On the street, there is barely any performance difference. For a fun car, decide based on looks and whether you prefer open or closed top.

I loved being able to take the top down in my Boxster on warm summer nights. You also get to hear the exhaust better that way. In my dream garage, I would have a Boxster Spyder right alongside my GT4. It's that good.

Which generation and trim level are you looking at?

The Ghibi's interior has me kinda torn. It looks like it's trying to be uber high end, but in person it looks like if something is off. Which makes it look like an aftermarket leather technique. The Mercs comparatively is really well done and is completely uniform - while looking natural.

Really? I didn't get that impression at all. I thought the Ghibli's interior was quite nice. Looked and felt well put together in the short time I spent with it.

Yeah, they're vicious bastards, and appear to target mainly black cars..
Thats some of the damage, left quite a few scratches that I hope I can buff out.

Holy shit. Didn't think geese could actually damage a car. I'm guessing it was attracted to the highly reflective surfaces around that part. Probably thought it was another goose and wanted to throw down. lol

matmanx1

Why not a used one? Unless we're talking about high mileage of course, he could find a good deal on one with 5-15k miles. I got my M235i with 6k miles for 15k under msrp.

Re-read what I wrote. I said I wouldn't do a used one unless he found exactly what he wanted and it still had a warranty. I didn't say never buy a used one at all.

matmanx1

In other news, I'm still doing some online window shopping for cars to possibly test drive and trade for this weekend.

A used Miata is still my number 1 choice but at the end of the day my priority is a fun car that is reliable and relatively cheap to own. I've not driven an RSX-S or Civic Si (8th gen) so I am most likely going to check them out this weekend, just in the way of comparison. If I like one or the other nearly as well and can get a better deal on it, then that would be the way to go.

Most of the cars I've looked at that are around the 10 grand mark are anywhere from 2006 - 2009 model year and generally have around 100k miles. This is sort of my baseline for a purchase that won't increase the loan I currently have.

So here's a question for you folks: I also spotted a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth with 10k miles (so almost new) for $14,900 at a local AutoNation dealership. If I liked it (I know them only by reputation and they seem fun but I have no idea how they actually drive), would it be worth spending the extra 5 grand for what will essentially be a fun, 3rd car just to have a car that new with that low mileage and a warranty?

Thinking theoretically, I could have it paid off in 4 years or less and it would probably still have less than 40,000 miles on it whereas one of the cars from my baseline would be getting upwards of 150,000 miles and around 15 years old.

Something to think about and opinions are welcome.

So here's a question for you folks: I also spotted a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth with 10k miles (so almost new) for $14,900 at a local AutoNation dealership. If I liked it (I know them only by reputation and they seem fun but I have no idea how they actually drive), would it be worth spending the extra 5 grand for what will essentially be a fun, 3rd car just to have a car that new with that low mileage and a warranty?

Seating position feels like you are on a penny farthing. (Little bit of hyperbole I admit..)

One of the least reliable cars on the market.

No Love

Banned
Nope, I've stayed away from the dealer for everything except to have the passenger airbag replaced so far. Everything from 50-62K miles is previous owner getting bent over at the dealer.

I laughed when I saw how easy pretty much all that shit was to do. It's fun as hell to wrench on your own cars and no one is going to care like the me.

I installed a full interior LED lighting kit from ECS Tuning last weekend and finished up installing Dynamat on my front doors. Have a lot more to do the rear deck but i'm not going to go crazy with it cause it's heavy and my shit is slow enough as it is :D

I might have a way to get you a half priced AA twinscrew supercharger. That'll get you to 350ish whp and wtq.

ohkay

I've owned both. On the street, there is barely any performance difference. For a fun car, decide based on looks and whether you prefer open or closed top.

I loved being able to take the top down in my Boxster on warm summer nights. You also get to hear the exhaust better that way. In my dream garage, I would have a Boxster Spyder right alongside my GT4. It's that good.

Which generation and trim level are you looking at?
I've been looking at used base 981s, but depending on the price, maybe an S

GHG

Gold Member
OMG I don't even...:

The one and only brand new BMW M3 GTS E92 on the world.

The speedometer shows 9 Kilometer!

Just 150 cars are produced in total, Limited Edition, 1 of 150.

This investment brings you 10% interest yearly, the value increasement of this BMW M3 GTS can be proofed with the performance of the last years.

This is a unique chance to buy the last brand new BMW M3 GTS which is remaining on the world. The car comes just with 9 kilometer, it´s brand new, never driven.

This investment opportunity comes up once on the Dubai market. It´s not buying a car, it´s doing a smart investment with a high interest rate without any risk. If someone has a better asset to invest in at the moment, please let me know. I´m pretty sure it´s not existing!

http://tnydu.biz/DOsyZ5

And yes, the price is just north of 200k USD. Any takers? I'm tempted to sell everything I have to go all in on this, sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. What could go wrong?

MisterNoisy

Just popping in to say that I think I've found the perfect car for me in the FoST. Just practical enough to deal with day to day bullshit and a perfectly pleasant commuter, but pretty bananas when it's just me and some bare road to fuck around on and if you want to be 'that guy' in city traffic, this is your weapon of choice. Also silly cheap if you can skip the extras (none of which enhance performance). Yeah, torque steer is a thing, but it only shows up when you want it to and is kinda part of the carnival ride when it does.

I love this ridiculous Ford.

No Love

Banned
Just popping in to say that I think I've found the perfect car for me in the FoST. Just practical enough to deal with day to day bullshit and a perfectly pleasant commuter, but pretty bananas when it's just me and some bare road to fuck around on and if you want to be 'that guy' in city traffic, this is your weapon of choice. Also silly cheap if you can skip the extras (none of which enhance performance). Yeah, torque steer is a thing, but it only shows up when you want it to and is kinda part of the carnival ride when it does.

I love this ridiculous Ford.

Really fun car, phenomenal for FWD. Everyone should drive it once. I think it's crazy that Ford can make FWD cars as fun as Honda once did.

matmanx1

Really fun car, phenomenal for FWD. Everyone should drive it once. I think it's crazy that Ford can make FWD cars as fun as Honda once did.

I've test driven a FoST a couple of times and they really are impressive performers. I have an attitude towards most Ford interiors and the particular color of grey plastic they use so liberally but I have no complaints about the way the Focus ST drives. In that respect, they are very, very good.

I'd like a chance to test out a FiST as well but those are as rare as hen's teeth on the pre-owned market.

matmanx1

Seating position feels like you are on a penny farthing. (Little bit of hyperbole I admit..)

One of the least reliable cars on the market.

Yes, I have heard that the seating position is odd. It will come down to a test drive, if I decide to go look at it. That's one of those things that you have to evaluate in person.

In terms of the reliability, that is an issue, but less of one on a car that still has 3 or 4 more years and 40,000 miles remaining on the factory warranty. Doing a little reading, it seems like the powertrain is solid but the plastics, trim, paint and interior pieces are cheap and prone to breakage. And while that is not preferred, I find that stuff easier to tolerate than the engine and trouble light issues I have had with my BMW.

So both our Lemons car and me made it on Jalopnik!

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/racing-in-the-24-hours-of-lemons-is-tougher-than-you-th-1770428209
dphmysrpcbcivu8ufbhb.jpg

That shitty elk? Our car! That fookin' dumbass with a white shirt on his head to avoid sunburn? That's my dumb ass!

Awesome!

It's a great article, too, it gets into the hardships a lot of the teams faced and overcame. Really, really awesome people at the event, and the officials themselves were all a true pleasure. Can't wait to do it again.

No Love

Banned
I've test driven a FoST a couple of times and they really are impressive performers. I have an attitude towards most Ford interiors and the particular color of grey plastic they use so liberally but I have no complaints about the way the Focus ST drives. In that respect, they are very, very good.

I'd like a chance to test out a FiST as well but those are as rare as hen's teeth on the pre-owned market.

I can only imagine that the Fiesta ST and Focus RS are even more fun.

Looks like I'll be picking up a couple toys in the next couple weeks and further my descent into the darkside of car enthusiasm.

ascii42

lol

now that I think about it...I don't think I've test driven a jag...ever

Not sure if they still have them, I went to a Jaguar driving event a few years back (as I recall I learned about it here, so it was probably AlphaSnake's suggestion). I think it was called Jaguar Alive Experience, or something. We drove an XJ around a bit, then they had a course to show off their AWD technology. They had us drive with all the stability stuff off then with it on. So, I can say I've been sideways in an XJ. They had an autocross thing set up where you could drive either the XKR or the XFR. Finally, they had a place where you could get into an XKR-S and floor it. I think I had enough room to get up to about 90 MPH or so.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Not sure if they still have them, I went to a Jaguar driving event a few years back (as I recall I learned about it here, so it was probably AlphaSnake's suggestion). I think it was called Jaguar Alive Experience, or something. We drove an XJ around a bit, then they had a course to show off their AWD technology. They had us drive with all the stability stuff off then with it on. So, I can say I've been sideways in an XJ. They had an autocross thing set up where you could drive either the XKR or the XFR. Finally, they had a place where you could get into an XKR-S and floor it. I think I had enough room to get up to about 90 MPH or so.

They still have them. It's the Art of Performance Tour now. You just have to sign up on Jaguar's website and they'll email you when they're coming to town. You get to drive all of their cars, which is awesome.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models...O1uLcIxefUUtAXycuPf4Wo2BwXYnhzfYxoCmtnw_wcB&c

Evo X

Porsche 991.2 Turbo S vs Ferrari 488 GTB.

Both incredible super cars in their own right. Which one would you choose to buy with your own money? The less expensive, more practical German? Or the more exotic Italian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnPLatqIEtU

I've been looking at used base 981s, but depending on the price, maybe an S

Go test drive both back to back if you can. You won't be disappointed with either. but coupe vs convertible is a very personal choice. I'd recommend a Boxster S in your shoes. They came out a year earlier and were priced lower than the equivalent Cayman so you will have a larger selection and better deals available.

They still have them. It's the Art of Performance Tour now. You just have to sign up on Jaguar's website and they'll email you when they're coming to town. You get to drive all of their cars, which is awesome.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models...O1uLcIxefUUtAXycuPf4Wo2BwXYnhzfYxoCmtnw_wcB&c

Sweet. Signed up.

Both incredible super cars in their own right. Which one would you choose to buy with your own money? The less expensive, more practical German? Or the more exotic Italian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnPLatqIEtU

It's always the first car or second car question. The 911 is the one car you would need, the Ferrari you just wouldn't drive every day--you'd get tired of being the center of attention all the time.

matmanx1

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/racing-in-the-24-hours-of-lemons-is-tougher-than-you-th-1770428209
dphmysrpcbcivu8ufbhb.jpg

That shitty elk? Our car! That fookin' dumbass with a white shirt on his head to avoid sunburn? That's my dumb ass!

Awesome!

It's a great article, too, it gets into the hardships a lot of the teams faced and overcame. Really, really awesome people at the event, and the officials themselves were all a true pleasure. Can't wait to do it again.

Woohoo, wtg Dave! I saw that article on Jalopnik today and wondered if perhaps you or your team were in it somewhere.

In other news, I found a pre-owned Miata a little closer to home today and sent an inquiry on it to hopefully see it this weekend. I'm cautiously excited about it because it is a 2008 Special Edition car of which only 750 were made but even more importantly it has the 6 speed manual and the limited slip differential. And only 42k miles!

It's a few thousand more than I wanted to spend but, as my wife keeps telling me "buy what you want and keep it til it's paid off already!" If it's still available on Saturday then it may be in my driveway by Saturday evening. *fingers crossed*

Evo X

Porsche's new 2 minute 718 marketing video is pretty fantastic. Good music, locations, and editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kn2hnWc8Hg

It's always the first car or second car question. The 911 is the one car you would need, the Ferrari you just wouldn't drive every day--you'd get tired of being the center of attention all the time.

Definitely. I don't think any other supercar is as capable as the 911 Turbo as an everyday year round vehicle.

In other news, I found a pre-owned Miata a little closer to home today and sent an inquiry on it to hopefully see it this weekend. I'm cautiously excited about it because it is a 2008 Special Edition car of which only 750 were made but even more importantly it has the 6 speed manual and the limited slip differential. And only 42k miles!

It's a few thousand more than I wanted to spend but, as my wife keeps telling me "buy what you want and keep it til it's paid off already!" If it's still available on Saturday then it may be in my driveway by Saturday evening. *fingers crossed*

Nice! I hope you get it. Sounds really good.

ferrari all day everyday...I would even take a 458...

As much as a Porsche fanboy I am, I've got to agree. As long as I get to keep my GT4 too. :D

AlphaSnake

Yo guys...seriously, I love this fucking car so much. Had such a shitty day at work, just tired of all the bullshit...and a cigar and then a spirited drive home alone made me feel great.

I think it's crazy that Ford can make FWD cars as fun as Honda once did.

Agreed.

But to be fair, the Focus ST is essentially an evolution of the Mazdaspeed3. Hell, some of the commonly used Ford Ecoboost engines are a direct evolution of the MZR engines that populated Mazda's engine bay before the Skyactiv engines came to be.

Fun sidenote: The dipstick in my Miata is from Ford lolol.

If it's the Icy Blue Miata... then definitely go for it man! Special edition Miatas are technically not that unique as Mazda produces a number of them for every market but the 08 SE is pretty unique in that it's the only Miata that ever got the Icy Blue Metallic paint.

Can't wait for Saturday man! Lol.

GHG

Gold Member
Anyone here had any experience with any of the new AMG 45 models (A45/CLA45/GLA45)?

The 2016 models are looking good and with the new damper settings I'm thinking one of those could potentially be great as my next daily driver.

matmanx1

Yo guys...seriously, I love this fucking car so much. Had such a shitty day at work, just tired of all the bullshit...and a cigar and then a spirited drive home alone made me feel great.

Yeah man. That's what being an automotive enthusiast is all about. When you can just hop in your car and go, go go and it's genuine therapy and stress relief then that is a very good thing.

Agreed.

But to be fair, the Focus ST is essentially an evolution of the Mazdaspeed3. Hell, some of the commonly used Ford Ecoboost engines are a direct evolution of the MZR engines that populated Mazda's engine bay before the Skyactiv engines came to be.

Fun sidenote: The dipstick in my Miata is from Ford lolol.

If it's the Icy Blue Miata... then definitely go for it man! Special edition Miatas are technically not that unique as Mazda produces a number of them for every market but the 08 SE is pretty unique in that it's the only Miata that ever got the Icy Blue Metallic paint.

Can't wait for Saturday man! Lol.

Your response is an appropriate place to post this but I just put a deposit down on the 08 SE car. As long as it checks out, it will be in my driveway tomorrow!

I had just made the inquiry last night and the dealership called me back at lunch to let me know they had the car on Ebay and it had sparked a bit of a bidding war and was almost at their buy it now price. I asked if they would let me put down a deposit if we came to a gentlemen's agreement over the phone in terms of numbers and the salesperson said he would call me back and let me know.

He called back, said we were a "go" and sent over the deposit form, which I then quickly filled out and returned.

Basically I am paying what they are asking for their car, which was a fair price but not a great price, and they are giving me what I want for my trade-in.

First thing in the morning I will head down and check the car out and give them a chance to check the BMW over and as long as we are both satisfied then the deal will be done.

*Excited*

Your response is an appropriate place to post this but I just put a deposit down on the 08 SE car. As long as it checks out, it will be in my driveway tomorrow!

I had just made the inquiry last night and the dealership called me back at lunch to let me know they had the car on Ebay and it had sparked a bit of a bidding war and was almost at their buy it now price. I asked if they would let me put down a deposit if we came to a gentlemen's agreement over the phone in terms of numbers and the salesperson said he would call me back and let me know.

He called back, said we were a "go" and sent over the deposit form, which I then quickly filled out and returned.

Basically I am paying what they are asking for their car, which was a fair price but not a great price, and they are giving me what I want for my trade-in.

First thing in the morning I will head down and check the car out and give them a chance to check the BMW over and as long as we are both satisfied then the deal will be done.

*Excited*

Awww yiss!

I might be busy tomorrow but I'm definitely gonna keep checking the thread for updates lol.

MisterNoisy

Yeah man. That's what being an automotive enthusiast is all about. When you can just hop in your car and go, go go and it's genuine therapy and stress relief then that is a very good thing.

Truth. When you get down to it, a few bucks worth of gas is way cheaper than therapy. :)

*Excited*

Awesome! I cant wait for ya to post pics and impressions. :)

Awesome!

Damn, I wish I could cobble together a Lemons crew. I know maybe two other people that'd be into it, but storage/work space would be an issue.

Zoolader

So uh... think I might have blown another stupid clutch. This time I'm having problems with that sun bleached traffic cone orange bmw e30 that I picked up less than a month ago! I'm really hoping it's something easier to work on like a slave cylinder, so I wouldn't need to pull the transmission out this soon. I gotta say though I'm not too stressed about it, because this car is maybe 1000x easier to work on than my B5 S4. I'd feel comfortable doing whatever repairs it needs myself, but first I need to get the issue diagnosed at a reputable bmw shop. I'm also tossing around the idea of selling it back to the previous owner since I was never crazy about the pre-facelift metal bumpers. If I did sell it I think I'd buy a different e30 that already looks close to how I want it, or maybe I should finally get larger snails and supporting mods for the Audi. Atleast my tax return came just in time and I have another car to drive while I decide what to do.

No Love

Banned
So uh... think I might have blown another stupid clutch. This time I'm having problems with that sun bleached traffic cone orange bmw e30 that I picked up less than a month ago! I'm really hoping it's something easier to work on like a slave cylinder, so I wouldn't need to pull the transmission out this soon. I gotta say though I'm not too stressed about it, because this car is maybe 1000x easier to work on than my B5 S4. I'd feel comfortable doing whatever repairs it needs myself, but first I need to get the issue diagnosed at a reputable bmw shop. I'm also tossing around the idea of selling it back to the previous owner since I was never crazy about the pre-facelift metal bumpers. If I did sell it I think I'd buy a different e30 that already looks close to how I want it, or maybe I should finally get larger snails and supporting mods for the Audi. Atleast my tax return came just in time and I have another car to drive while I decide what to do.

Get rid of the E30, diving boards suck. I too have a B5 S4 and it sucks to work on. Hence why I'm selling it and switching back to BMW.

SliChillax

In today's episode of "why didn't they build this in the first place?", we have the 86 Shooting Brake Concept.

gallery-1462541351-toy-86-shooting-brake-concept-01.jpg

I swear some people will like everything that is a shooting brake/wagon. What do you mean why didn't they build that? It's hideous lol

I'd take the Porsche. I wouldn't like all the attention I'd get with a Ferrari. I also have some friends who own Ferrari's and I see that there's always something breaking, interior parts fall off, the leather they use is horrible it starts to get shiny and starts cracking after just using it for a short period of time. Basically you need to pay attention to a Ferrari more than a newborn baby. My friends F12 looks like my friends E39 M5 inside in terms of leather quality. And he doesn't even drive the F12 he only takes it out like once a month.

So I took a handful of shots at the Charleston Cars and Coffee this morning. Nothing tooo exciting, but it was really neat to see a great condition 968 coupe out, you never see those things. It's also kind of funny because I randomly met the owner at a bar and told him to come out to the event (he's new here too)--small world.

More in the album, including a Viper with a Recaro babyseat: http://imgur.com/a/59h9P

matmanx1

Well, look what just showed up at my house:

eG3m8Mb.jpg

Not bad, eh?

xAzH2p4.jpg

Closeup of the icy blue stitching on the seat.

EgXYFTv.jpg

Interior contrast with the brown and the blue. I have to say, I like the color combination in person better than I thought I would. The icy blue looks great in the sunlight.

HiYtEDY.jpg

OjNODDX.jpg

And finally, a little closer in shot of the special edition wheel, which as a smoked finish. It's similar to the normal Gran Touring model wheel but just enough different enough to be special.

And after having driven it for the last hour and a half or so all I can say is, I want to go right back out and drive it for another hour and a half! It's fantastic! Why didn't I buy one of these years ago?

I also got a little unexpected bonus from the previous owner. He installed a new Kenwood head unit that has full BT and iPod connectivity in the glove box as well as tons of EQ settings. The hour drive back from the dealership in Marietta, Ga I had the top down and my tunes blasting. It was awesome. I love it.

Evo X

Well, look what just showed up at my house.

Congrats! Very happy for you and glad you decided to keep a sports car around. In my limited experience with it, it's super fun to drive.

I've never seen that color combo on a Miata before. Looks like something you'd see on an Aston Martin.

eG3m8Mb.jpg

Not bad, eh?

xAzH2p4.jpg

EgXYFTv.jpg

Interior contrast with the brown and the blue. I have to say, I like the color combination in person better than I thought I would. The icy blue looks great in the sunlight.

HiYtEDY.jpg

OjNODDX.jpg

And finally, a little closer in shot of the special edition wheel, which as a smoked finish. It's similar to the normal Gran Touring model wheel but just enough different enough to be special.

And after having driven it for the last hour and a half or so all I can say is, I want to go right back out and drive it for another hour and a half! It's fantastic! Why didn't I buy one of these years ago?

I also got a little unexpected bonus from the previous owner. He installed a new Kenwood head unit that has full BT and iPod connectivity in the glove box as well as tons of EQ settings. The hour drive back from the dealership in Marietta, Ga I had the top down and my tunes blasting. It was awesome. I love it.

YASS!!!!

Congrats man! Welcome to the club!!

One thing that I noticed that might be a concern.... that white and black section on your top at the front? Don't worry about that. Mazda used a shitty type of glue in the early years so the glue dries up after a few years causing bubbles and discoloration and while it does sound bad, it's not bad at all. I'm pretty sure my top is more than 10 years old and it hasn't leaked whatsoever nor it has ripped. I will say that it does look like a little ugly sometimes but it's no concern since it's about $500 bucks for a new top and $200-ish to get it installed by a shop or a few painful hours of your time.

Now for some cheap mods that'll further your driving experience:

Swap out the shift knob for a Team Voodoo or a Moddiciton Anvil knob. I myself use the Voodoo Magnum black pearl and the difference is pretty crazy compared stock. The Voodoo/Moddiction knobs are weighted so they make your already short-throw shifter much shorter compared to stock.

The other thing I suggest is a muffler. I've got the Roadstersport Race which as you can hear provides maximum loudness(especially with a stock header/midpipe), pops, burbles and I freakin' love it. The only downside to it is the drone you get decelerating from 4k+ rpms... but it's not so bad tbh. I've done some long trips in it and my rock hard seats are more of the pain in the ass than the noise.

Now the suspension... the cheapest and quickest is swapping your sway bars out for RX-8 sway bars. There's a multitude of combos since RX-8 sway bars come in 3 colors... red, yellow and orange. IIRC the most popular one is the red front and yellow rears which makes according to the rear step out a little more than stock. I haven't done it myself since I needed to replace my leaking shocks a few years ago. But it's something I'm considering for the next month. As for shocks/springs/coilovers, I suggest spending some time with the stock setup and finding out what you want.

And finally, some really good tips from a famous NC owner in Miata.net: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=500428

Whew, hope that wasn't too much info haha.

Zyzyxxz

I want to like the Ghibli and they do sound amazing but I always worry about reliability when it comes to Maseratis, especially with the heat here.

Ghibli's are junk. My business partner has one. Cramped interior space, whatever performance, and mediocre interior build quality. The only thing is has going for it is that it looks nice but you don't get much car for +60K

matmanx1

Congrats! I'm really digging that interior color, too.

Thanks!

Congrats! Very happy for you and glad you decided to keep a sports car around. In my limited experience with it, it's super fun to drive.

I've never seen that color combo on a Miata before. Looks like something you'd see on an Aston Martin.

Thank you. When I first saw the pictures I didn't know if I would like it or not but in person it really works. I think "classy" is the right word.

YASS!!!!

Congrats man! Welcome to the club!!

One thing that I noticed that might be a concern.... that white and black section on your top at the front? Don't worry about that. Mazda used a shitty type of glue in the early years so the glue dries up after a few years causing bubbles and discoloration and while it does sound bad, it's not bad at all. I'm pretty sure my top is more than 10 years old and it hasn't leaked whatsoever nor it has ripped. I will say that it does look like a little ugly sometimes but it's no concern since it's about $500 bucks for a new top and $200-ish to get it installed by a shop or a few painful hours of your time.

Now for some cheap mods that'll further your driving experience:

Swap out the shift knob for a Team Voodoo or a Moddiciton Anvil knob. I myself use the Voodoo Magnum black pearl and the difference is pretty crazy compared stock. The Voodoo/Moddiction knobs are weighted so they make your already short-throw shifter much shorter compared to stock.

The other thing I suggest is a muffler. I've got the Roadstersport Race which as you can hear provides maximum loudness(especially with a stock header/midpipe), pops, burbles and I freakin' love it. The only downside to it is the drone you get decelerating from 4k+ rpms... but it's not so bad tbh. I've done some long trips in it and my rock hard seats are more of the pain in the ass than the noise.

Now the suspension... the cheapest and quickest is swapping your sway bars out for RX-8 sway bars. There's a multitude of combos since RX-8 sway bars come in 3 colors... red, yellow and orange. IIRC the most popular one is the red front and yellow rears which makes according to the rear step out a little more than stock. I haven't done it myself since I needed to replace my leaking shocks a few years ago. But it's something I'm considering for the next month. As for shocks/springs/coilovers, I suggest spending some time with the stock setup and finding out what you want.

And finally, some really good tips from a famous NC owner in Miata.net: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=500428

Whew, hope that wasn't too much info haha.

Thanks for the tips jongkookie. I did notice the glue stains on the top but they are just discolorations and don't feel any different than the rest of the material. From my reading, it looks like most of the "early" NC Miata's do this eventually, especially if they are ever parked in the sun.

I think swapping out the shift nob will be my 1st mod. I like the stock unit but it is showing some wear and I am all for a better feel.

One thing is for sure, I am going to drive the heck out of this little car this summer. I've already burned half a tank of gas just zooming around the back roads near my house today. It's a spectacular day for a convertible and that little Miata just eats up the curves.

AlphaSnake

I'm going to the Jaguar XE and F-Pace launch event at an airport in Orlando. We're going to be opening them bitches up!

Falch

eG3m8Mb.jpg

Not bad, eh?

Congratz! Excellent color, love it!

I test drove an NC a few weeks ago and absolutely loved the handling. I might just join the club in a few months. ;)

Top Bottom