• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I'm a little more fond of the Infiniti VQ sound imo, that's not to say the Jag's sound isn't great.

The VQ3x's are just so distinct, I could tell that an Infiniti is coming my way with 100% accuracy lol.

Thanks for the tips jongkookie. I did notice the glue stains on the top but they are just discolorations and don't feel any different than the rest of the material. From my reading, it looks like most of the "early" NC Miata's do this eventually, especially if they are ever parked in the sun.

I think swapping out the shift nob will be my 1st mod. I like the stock unit but it is showing some wear and I am all for a better feel.

One thing is for sure, I am going to drive the heck out of this little car this summer. I've already burned half a tank of gas just zooming around the back roads near my house today. It's a spectacular day for a convertible and that little Miata just eats up the curves.

Yeah, it's worse on the really really early NC's:

Bnmf0Wb.jpg

You can try and squish the bubbles but it just rises back up. @______@

One tip about swapping the shift knob, keep a baby sock in your car. I've burned my hand waaaaaaaaaay too many times when I left the knob uncovered from the Texas heat. I just put the sock on the knob when I park it outside now lol. I've also got a delrin knob that I sometimes use, but it's a little slippery and the feel sucks compared to my Voodoo knob so I only really use it when its literally 100F outside.

matmanx1

Congrats on the Miata.

RIP BMW? Traded away?

Yes, traded away. This last repair put my wife and I over the top in terms of getting rid of it now instead of waiting until early next year. I ended up writing a check for a couple grand to cover the negative equity but I have no regrets about the trade. For a fun car, the Miata is better in every way. Seriously. In less than one day of ownership I think I love this car more than all the other fun cars that I have ever owned, put together.

Congratz! Excellent color, love it!

I test drove an NC a few weeks ago and absolutely loved the handling. I might just join the club in a few months. ;)

Yeah, the ability to absolutely fling the car around a corner is pretty outstanding. Mine doesn't even have the upgraded suspension (although it does have the LSD) and it feels like it stays almost completely flat through a hard corner. It is completely confidence inspiring and tons of fun.

Awesome colors on that miata!

Thank you!

And now a few fun facts about my Miata:

MX-5 Miata Grand Touring Special Edition (Soft Top only, includes all Gran Touring features plus the following, not available as PRHT in the United States);
• Exclusive Icy Blue paint
• Chocolate Brown cloth top, leather seats and interior trim (with Icy Blue stitching)
• Unique design 17” aluminum alloy wheels
• Stainless steel scuff plates
• Aluminum-tone instrument panel trim & chrome gauge rings
• Premium package 1 (limited slip differential, Xenon HD lights, Keyless access)

Overseas (Europe and Japan) this was called the "Niseko" edition, named after one of Japan's most famous ski resorts. Their cars got special "Niseko" badges and floor mats (I sure would like to source those for my car!), we didn't. I guess the snow/ice theme was reflected in the paint choice, with the brown as an appropriate accent.

We got 750 SE cars in the USA (same as the 2006 SE), all with the soft top. Canada got only 105 SE cars but all of theirs were the power retractable hard top, so the top was body colored and not brown like our cars making the entire car Icy Blue. And while I like the power folding hard top on some cars, I really like the brown contrast with the blue paint on the 2008 SE, so I'm glad that's the one we got.

Soon I hope to to have a photo shoot with my brother in law, of Enthuza Car Inc. fame. I didn't realize it until this week but both of his Miata's are special edition cars so I want to drive mine to his house and get all three of them together for some pictures. Even cooler, his are a 1995 NA "M" Edition (which was Merlot with a tan interior) and a 2003 Special Edition NB (which was Strato Blue Mica with a grey interior). With mine, we will have special edition cars from three generations of Miatas, mine of course being an NC car.

Anion

So I'm going to court on Thursday to defend myself and hopefully reduce the points at least. Any tips? Anyone go without a lawyer and get points reduced for speeding and what did you say?

I'm a pretty smooth talker, but everything is stacked against me. Age, the car I was driving, and my speed netted me 4 points. It's my first ever ticket of any kind though and I never have been in trouble with the law or anything before.

Ran my blown C5Z in a 1/2 mile roll racing event last weekend, ran 145-150mph on all runs. Car has 160 in it, but I was holding back a bit for fear that the clutch would eat it. Going to put an RXT in it so I can go all out next time. Here is a vid, that BMW I was next to on this pass was fast as hell, he made some other guys feel silly that day, haha
http://youtu.be/O6QHSSiw5k8

No Love

Banned
So I'm going to court on Thursday to defend myself and hopefully reduce the points at least. Any tips? Anyone go without a lawyer and get points reduced for speeding and what did you say?

I'm a pretty smooth talker, but everything is stacked against me. Age, the car I was driving, and my speed netted me 4 points. It's my first ever ticket of any kind though and I never have been in trouble with the law or anything before.

Get a lawyer. You're way in over your head if you're asking on GAF. It will be cheaper in the long run too.

You'll be okay. Just don't lie about anything because it'll make things worse. Apologize and say its your first time.

My other advice would be completing a defensive driving online course before Thursday and bringing the certificate with you to court. $25 course can possibly save you a lot in fines and points.

Don't try any slick shit in front of a judge, you'll just make it worse.

Evo X

I've had this for the past 2 days. Probably the fastest thing I've ever driven. Ludicrous mode takes it to 60mph in 2.8 seconds. I'm blown away.

O9GQQxQ.jpg

burgerdog

I've had this for the past 2 days. Probably the fastest thing I've ever driven. Ludicrous mode takes it to 60mph in 2.8 seconds. I'm blown away.

O9GQQxQ.jpg

That has to be so damn awesome. I would just love to be behind the wheel of a 2.5ish car just to experience the rush. Good stuff!

GHG

Gold Member
I am never, NEVER posting anything about cars anywhere outside of this thread on GAF.

Evo, I salute you.

Not for your cars though because who in their right mind has a Porsche and a Tesla? I mean, what's wrong with you bro?

Anion

I cannot fathom the 2.5s time for a sedan. Just cant.

Get a lawyer. You're way in over your head if you're asking on GAF. It will be cheaper in the long run too.

That was my initial plan, but the quotes I got were a bit too much. Some quoted me for $1.2k. So I called up a friend and he told me that the borough I live in is pretty relaxed compared to most others. I actually went to the police station and had a chat with one of the sheriffs secretaries who told me lots of people end up getting the whole ticket dismissed or at least the points.

You'll be okay. Just don't lie about anything because it'll make things worse. Apologize and say its your first time.

My other advice would be completing a defensive driving online course before Thursday and bringing the certificate with you to court. $25 course can possibly save you a lot in fines and points.

Just started a course with the AARP. Thanks for the heads up, had no idea it was a thing. Ill be clear to the judge that its my first offense. I just wonder what else he/she will ask

Don't try any slick shit in front of a judge, you'll just make it worse.

Lmao, I do not intend to. Ill be pretty upfront about it.

matmanx1

Ran my blown C5Z in a 1/2 mile roll racing event last weekend, ran 145-150mph on all runs. Car has 160 in it, but I was holding back a bit for fear that the clutch would eat it. Going to put an RXT in it so I can go all out next time. Here is a vid, that BMW I was next to on this pass was fast as hell, he made some other guys feel silly that day, haha
http://youtu.be/O6QHSSiw5k8

Seriously impressive. And I'm glad you beat the 1 series BMW.... for purely personal reasons. =)

I am never, NEVER posting anything about cars anywhere outside of this thread on GAF.

Evo, I salute you.

Not for your cars though because who in their right mind has a Porsche and a Tesla? I mean, what's wrong with you bro?

I felt like banging my head against a wall and it wasn't even my thread.

TCRS

Banned
Fiats new shitbox the Tipo:

QNQiUJ9.jpg

when will this `grrr guise I'm so angry!' meme end?

so many cars with that ridiculous aggressive style.

Browny

Banned
My first ever car was a Tipo... G reg (so 1990) in metallic blue. I filled it full of speakers, a Kenwood CD player and EQ which were probably worth more than the car. The cambelt went and a piston went through the block. Good times.

New one looks boring.

O9GQQxQ.jpg

I got to test drive a ludicrous mode 90D back when my gf's friend bought her Tesla, that rush was insane

matmanx1

O9GQQxQ.jpg

I love that color on the P90D. I'm sure it makes a great counter-point to the GT4 in terms of driving dynamics. Although I'm not quite sure what to think about a car that makes a GT4 seem slow and can also seat 4 adults comfortably.... Congrats though!

Oh lord what did normal-GAF do this time?

Opened up a brand new salt mine.

Let's not tell normal-GAF that our overlord Evilore also has a Porsche in his garage(that he got from GAF money too), GAF might break like it does during E3.

auto thread outside AutoGAF is fun lol.

I like to watch the train wreck and steer the pot lol.

Fuuuuuuuuu man.

I read the post on mobile and I was like "goddamn, what a salty ass mofo!" then I see it was you and I literally burst out laughing in the office.

Evo X

Haha, thanks for the support guys, but I can handle it. Used to hearing much worse. The salty posts just make me laugh. Some people just like to judge without knowing a person's life situation or background to make themselves feel better. They'd probably change their tune if they knew the level of poverty that my family came from or the hard work involved to get to this point, but I don't care enough to say anything. It's more fun to just roll with it.

Besides, the good outweighs the bad. I'm happy to share my experiences and info with those who are genuinely interested. I was just shocked that I liked the Tesla so much given my automotive background and preferences. But then again, I am a huge nerd, so the tech intrigues me quite a lot.

Also, I loved shinshoryuken's trolling post in the thread. lmao.

lem0n

Thanks!

Thank you. When I first saw the pictures I didn't know if I would like it or not but in person it really works. I think "classy" is the right word.

Thanks for the tips jongkookie. I did notice the glue stains on the top but they are just discolorations and don't feel any different than the rest of the material. From my reading, it looks like most of the "early" NC Miata's do this eventually, especially if they are ever parked in the sun.

I think swapping out the shift nob will be my 1st mod. I like the stock unit but it is showing some wear and I am all for a better feel.

One thing is for sure, I am going to drive the heck out of this little car this summer. I've already burned half a tank of gas just zooming around the back roads near my house today. It's a spectacular day for a convertible and that little Miata just eats up the curves.

I have a spun aluminum Voodoo shift knob from my NA that should work. If you want it, PM me, I'll give you a good deal on it :)

To be fair, it's not that strange that people infer from the GT4 already parked in the (double?) garage that you are very much in a position to also buy the Tesla, regardless of the fact it's just a test car. Also the title could come off as 'Look at my awesome shit - AMA you filthy peasants', not saying that it does, or that the subtext is there, but for the part of the audience that is not as fortunate, it's not that hard to read it like that.

Of course you don't deserve the reaction you got, let that be clear. (I for one am very happy for you that your career has worked out well and that you're spending its rewards on things I think are awesome + you seem like a very nice guy.) But give the massive income inequality in today's world that is only going to be increasing, I guess you should always be expecting reactions like that. It really sucks to not have any money. I also understand that you're probably not a 1% er billionaire type guy with money coming out of your ears (i.e. the group of people that can be held responsible for the misery that causes such a reaction). But to people that don't have two nickels to rub together, the difference between that type of money and the money to buy, say, a GT4 is probably not that relevant. It's also the reason why I have stopped posting about my four motorcycles and my kickass Porsche on Facebook and am instead doing it here in relative anonymity with people that share and understand the passion.

/edit: the fact that cars, to this day, remain the most important status symbols and expressions of wealth and are also seen as contributing to the world going to shit in terms of the environment, further complicates this issue and the public's perception of them and those who own them (regardless of our relatively innocent and honest passion for the actual fun that can had with them).

KrisB

Can hardly believe it. I mean the fact that it is a test car is mentioned in literally the first sentence of the thread.

I've found a lot of people just seem to have woeful reading comprehension on here.
Too quick to hit reply before properly reading a post.

Evo X

To be fair, it's not that strange that people infer from the GT4 already parked in the (double?) garage that you are very much in a position to also buy the Tesla, regardless of the fact it's a just test car. Also the title could come off as 'Look at my awesome shit - AMA you filthy peasants', not saying that it does, or that the subtext is there, but for the part of the audience that is not as fortunate, it's not that hard to read it like that.

Of course you don't deserve the reaction you got, let that be clear. (I for one am very happy for you that your career has worked out well and that you're spending its rewards on things I think are awesome + you seem like a very nice guy.) But give the massive income inequality in today's world that is only going to be increasing, I guess you should always be expecting reactions like that. It really sucks to not have any money. I also understand that you're probably not a 1% er billionaire type guy with money coming out of your ears (i.e. the group of people that can be held responsible for the misery that causes such a reaction). But to people that don't have two nickels to rub together, the difference between that type of money and the money to buy, say, a GT4 is probably not that relevant. It's also the reason why I have stopped posting about my four motorcycles and my kickass Porsche on Facebook and am instead doing it here in relative anonymity with people that share and understand the passion.

/edit: the fact that cars, to this day, remain the most important status symbols and expressions of wealth (regardless of our relatively innocent and honest passion for the actual fun that can had with them) and are also seen as contributing to the world going to shit in terms of the environment, further complicate this issue and the public's perception of them and those who own them.

That's understandable, which is why I don't engage them. They are reacting emotionally so it's not possible to have a logical discussion with them. I would be lying if I said I haven't felt that way at some point in my life before realizing that jealousy doesn't breed anything other than more contempt and unhappiness.

I'm not going to let a few sour apples stop me from enjoying and sharing my hobby though. GAF is pretty much the only forum I consistently post on these days. Never really had any bad experiences before and it seems like a good place to discuss anything for the most part.

You want to see true salt? Go to GameFAQS. God damn, that place was a cesspool. I got hated on HARD in their small Automotive section, and this was back in the day when I had my Evos and M3, not GT4. It got to the the point where they were starting threads taking shit about me and making personal threats and the moderating team didn't care at all. I'm sure a few of them were in on it. I made my account there in 2002, but left the site completely after that incident years ago.

The reaction here is child's play by comparison.

matmanx1

I have a spun aluminum Voodoo shift knob from my NA that should work. If you want it, PM me, I'll give you a good deal on it :)

I am considering options on that front and I appreciate your offer. I think I would probably enjoy a textured or alcantara feel moreso than the smooth metal but I haven't made up my mind yet.

To be fair, it's not that strange that people infer from the GT4 already parked in the (double?) garage that you are very much in a position to also buy the Tesla, regardless of the fact it's just a test car. Also the title could come off as 'Look at my awesome shit - AMA you filthy peasants', not saying that it does, or that the subtext is there, but for the part of the audience that is not as fortunate, it's not that hard to read it like that.

/edit: the fact that cars, to this day, remain the most important status symbols and expressions of wealth and are also seen as contributing to the world going to shit in terms of the environment, further complicates this issue and the public's perception of them and those who own them (regardless of our relatively innocent and honest passion for the actual fun that can had with them).

Responding to the bolded: And I sincerely hope that you keep on posting about your bikes and especially your Porsche here on GAF. I get a kick out of seeing what you folks have in your garages and yards and I share your passion and excitement for those things. Please, keep it coming!

matmanx1

Here's a question for you folks: I was watching a few videos on performance driving last night and the instructor said that you want to keep your heel on the floorboard while pushing the clutch in for a smoother release.

I've always pushed my whole foot into the clutch and I don't think I've ever owned a car that I could just rotate my foot forward and push the clutch in. They are either too high off of the carpet or too stiff for my ankle. Maybe I need more ankle strength?

So, AutoGAF, how's your foot on the clutch?

Here's a question for you folks: I was watching a few videos on performance driving last night and the instructor said that you want to keep your heel on the floorboard while pushing the clutch in for a smoother release.

I've always pushed my whole foot into the clutch and I don't think I've ever owned a car that I could just rotate my foot forward and push the clutch in. They are either too high off of the carpet or too stiff for my ankle. Maybe I need more ankle strength?

I rotate on my left heel. Feels like it gives me finer control.

Maybe it depends on your shoe size?

Flo_Evans

BRZ clutch is low enough that I can keep my heel down. I still feel like I am re-learning proper clutch control in this car. Its so responsive any errors are magnified and I feel like an idiot. :p

SummitAve

Banned
Hmmmm I've never paid attention, but I think I do a bit of both, especially if I'm driving barefoot. Lifting the heel up can give me a bit more finesse to adjust my clutch release faster/slower or when I'm feathering in 1st/reverse.

Opened up a brand new salt mine.

Let's not tell normal-GAF that our overlord Evilore also has a Porsche in his garage(that he got from GAF money too), GAF might break like it does during E3.

Fuuuuuuuuu man.

I read the post on mobile and I was like "goddamn, what a salty ass mofo!" then I see it was you and I literally burst out laughing in the office.

I was going to post something serious but the sodium level was too high, I couldn't contain myself.....funny thing is that a few actually thought I was serious LOL.

Sorry Evo X for disturbing your thread.

It really depends on the car. The clutch point varies from car to car, so just as long as you're not slipping your clutch too much, just do whats comfortable.

BRZ clutch is low enough that I can keep my heel down. I still feel like I am re-learning proper clutch control in this car. Its so responsive any errors are magnified and I feel like an idiot. :p

I'm having the same problem even after a year, and am wondering if removing the "helper" spring will make things smoother.

No Love

Banned

Don't think it's true. I shift so fast that having me heel on the floorboard would slow me down and besides that totally unnecessary if you have good muscle control for release. Once you get to a certain point smooth release comes naturally.

matmanx1

I was going to post something serious but the sodium level was too high, I couldn't contain myself.....funny thing is that a few actually thought I was serious LOL.

Sorry Evo X for disturbing your thread.

When I read your responses I was laughing. I also laughed at the responses of some of those folks who thought you were being serious.

Don't think it's true. I shift so fast that having me heel on the floorboard would slow me down and besides that totally unnecessary if you have good muscle control for release. Once you get to a certain point smooth release comes naturally.

This is my thinking as well. I don't think I've ever had a car that I didn't get smooth with after a while just from muscle memory and repetition, and some are easier than others in that regard. My BMW had a longer travel and took more throttle to get going so that was a little bit more of a learning curve than the Miata which has a very short clutch travel and requires almost no throttle to get moving.

Next task: Heel and toe consistently. I've never practiced it consistently enough with any of my other cars to really be proficient. That is going to change with the Miata.

Top Bottom