• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
maybe it's the colour/wood combination then. will have to see in the configurator and RL (not that I'll ever be able to afford it). and why would you not choose an A7 over the CLS? It's bigger afaik and can seat 5 people. you just have to tick that 300€ option, with the CLS you can't do that.

S550 4MATIC review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gUMtSISuwM

the intro lol. pretty good though.

You can't option an A7 in the US with 5 seats. Don't know about overseas markets, but that's the first time I've heard of that.

The CLS simply drives better, has standard air-suspension with the appropriate suspension settings, standard harmon/Kardon audio, better steering feel (the Audi's electric steering is awful), better body control, less body roll, very tight and composed front and rear suspensions that work together (unlike the Audi), so forth. Also, the Audi dealer experience in the US is rather pitiful for a luxury marquee, meanwhile MB is considered top-tier with Jaguar and Lexus.

The two advantages the A7/S7 have over the CLS400/CLS550 is trunk space (the Audi is a full hatch lift), and a quicker shifting transmission. That's it. The Audi's interior has very awkward sightlines, problematic support with seats, cheap-ish leather, very questionable reliability, and too much cheap plastics.

Source: Me. I used to have a 2012 A6 3.0T.

TylerD

You can't option an A7 in the US with 5 seats. Don't know about overseas markets, but that's the first time I've heard of that.

The CLS simply drives better, has standard air-suspension with the appropriate suspension settings, standard harmon/Kardon audio, better steering feel (the Audi's electric steering is awful), better body control, less body roll, very tight and composed front and rear suspensions that work together (unlike the Audi), so forth. Also, the Audi dealer experience in the US is rather pitiful for a luxury marquee, meanwhile MB is considered top-tier with Jaguar and Lexus.

The two advantages the A7/S7 have over the CLS400/CLS550 is trunk space (the Audi is a full hatch lift), and a quicker shifting transmission. That's it. The Audi's interior has very awkward sightlines, problematic support with seats, cheap-ish leather, very questionable reliability, and too much cheap plastics.

Source: Me. I used to have a 2012 A6 3.0T.

The A7 and S7 are also very very good looking though the CLS is no slouch.

bcl0328

Rendering of a Lincoln sports coupe based on the 2015 Mustang.

pWDNTiX.jpg

EmrgLVJ.jpg

AlphaSnake

The A7 and S7 are also very very good looking though the CLS is no slouch.

Yeah. It looked nice for the first 2 years...but then every Audi started to look the same. Meanwhile the CLS is so distinct and sets itself apart so well from other Benzes. MB in general has done a good job at keeping their cars individuality, aesthetically, making it impossible to confuse an S-Class for an E-Class, a C-Class for an E-Class, ML for GL, etc etc.

Something that cannot be said about Audi and BMW. They have intentionally created an identical design language for every car, because they want to make even A3 buyers feel like they're buying a high-end Audi because it looks like a shorter A6.

TCRS

Banned
leaked pictures of the new Opel/Vauxhall Corsa:

design similar to the opel adam.

the S-Class Coupe with a light blue paint and white interior:

in the second picture you can see the new curve system (it keeps the car straight or even leans it into the curve).

source: autobild.de

No Love

Banned
Just read new m3 made 424whp on dynojet dyno! Damn!

Hard to determine how underrated the engine really is (BMW underrates all their shit) because all dynos are different, but I wouldn't be surprised if the car really does push about 60 bhp more than it's rated for.

It should be simple to get this motor to around 500 whp with mods, and 550-600 whp on E85 with mods. Should be a really fun car once it's tuned.

Hard to determine how underrated the engine really is (BMW underrates all their shit) because all dynos are different, but I wouldn't be surprised if the car really does push about 60 bhp more than it's rated for.

It should be simple to get this motor to around 500 whp with mods, and 550-600 whp on E85 with mods. Should be a really fun car once it's tuned.

If you don't mind driving a loud vacuum cleaner.

Man the body roll in this picture posted above is confusing the hell out of me.

What direction is this car travelling in?

Yeah, the stock exhaust sounds awful. But I bet with a nice 3" aftermarket exhaust it'll sound really good.

That's what gets me about the car, you can tell they did some extensive aural tuning with the stock exhaust because it really burbles on decel but in general it sounds like garbage. I don't understand how they fucked it up so badly.

Edit: Especially since the N55 sounds cleaner and more exciting than the S55. What happened?

Rendering of a Lincoln sports coupe based on the 2015 Mustang.

Wow. This actually looks really good! If this is ever comes into fruition, I might actually have trouble deciding on American Muscle. I've already decided on a Challenger if I ever decide to get American, but this might change my mind.

If you don't mind driving a loud vacuum cleaner.

So you mean to say the sounds in Gran Turismo will finally be accurate?

TCRS

Banned
yeah that's a new system they have introduced with the S-Class Coupe. a camera reads the road ahead and adjusts the suspension in a way that the car doesn't roll in a curve.

yeah that's a new system they have introduced with the S-Class Coupe. a camera reads the road ahead and adjusts the suspension in a way that the car doesn't roll in a curve.

Well holy shit that's pretty incredible.

Edit: Whoa, it also scans the road ahead for bumps and moves the wheels to adjust. It's like that goofy old Bose suspension video but in real life. This is seriously impressive stuff.

The long-term future of the Toyota 86 twin has been placed under a cloud because Toyota is evaluating a potential change in partnership for its next-generation sports coupe.

The Japanese car maker is currently collaborating with BMW on the development of a high-performance sports car to sit above the 86. The chief engineer responsible for both, Tetsuya Tada, told Drive the program with the German brand could be expanded to include the next 86.

"Maybe, but this is not decided at the moment," Tada said when asked if Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries, would remain involved in the development of the 86.

When quizzed on whether BMW could take over its role in the partnership, he said: "That is one possibility."

If Toyota were to expand its cooperation with BMW at the expense of Subaru it would be shunning a company it partially owns. Toyota owns a 20 per cent stake in Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries, something that helped in creating the 86 and BRZ models on sale today.

Whatever the case, the next Toyota 86 is likely to be more radical than today's relatively simple concept.

Tada has reaffirmed his engineering team are examining a number of alternative powertrain solutions, including potentially replacing the boxer four-cylinder engine with an in-line engine.

"So far, I have no idea," he said in response to whether the boxer engine layout would be retained.

"This is also something we are studying. The trend of powertrains is of course downsizing and turbo charging, but my opinion is to retain natural aspiration in the future."

He did, however, all but confirm it will have some form of electric assistance to improve its power output as well as reduce fuel consumption, hinting that the supercapacitors used in the company's Le Mans sports car best match the lightweight philosophy of the car rather than heavy battery packs.

"Maybe next generation 86 must have some kind of eco technology like racing hybrid," he said.

"We raced at Le Mans with this and that is the reason why we challenge ourselves with this technology."

Before then, Tada is studying a number of options to improve the current 86 in time for its mid-life facelift due in 2015.

Among the possibilities to improve power is a larger capacity boxer engine or upgraded exhaust and intake systems derived from the Gazoo Racing car that won its class in last weekend's Nurburgring 24-hour race in Germany.

However, Tada also hinted that simply modifying the car's final drive ratio is an affordable way to make it feel more spritely.

"Some day we are aiming to do big update and change," he said.

"Every 86 enthusiast has been asking question on more power and we are studying now for the answers."

Right now though, a mildly updated 86 will go on-sale in Australia next month with a few additions to its sparse list of features, including a shark fin antenna, a digital speedo added to the base-model GT and a reverse camera fitted on the top-spec GTS.

Toyota Australia has yet to confirm whether the update will create a price rise for both models, but company spokesman Steve Coughlan could not rule it out.

Subaru has hinted at other variants it could do of the current BRZ, most recently with the Cross Sport concept.

Well holy shit that's pretty incredible.

Edit: Whoa, it also scans the road ahead for bumps and moves the wheels to adjust. It's like that goofy old Bose suspension video but in real life. This is seriously impressive stuff.

Wonder what sort of traction condition it creates when pushed too hard? Terminal understeer? Probably amazing for car rotation!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Seriously, though, for $72K you'd have to be a dumbass to choose an Audi A7 or S7 over the CLS550.

At that price, aesthetics are huge. The A7 is the best looking in its class. Dat ass. Agree or not, you can see why AWD and emotion will play into that decision.

But I agree on the interior, aside from the wood texture, screen size and aspect ratio of the photo, it's the exact same interior. Panel for panel.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I know the 8-speed ZF is a great transmission and everything but oh my god it makes the most boring noise, and there's just something annoying about that exhaust note.

I'm a curmudgeon, so there.

I agree.

It reminds me of those bad racing games where the cars will just rev and shift forever no matter the speed.

The idea of a 550ps F-Type engine in a Land Rover though is exciting.

I know the 8-speed ZF is a great transmission and everything but oh my god it makes the most boring noise, and there's just something annoying about that exhaust note.

I'm a curmudgeon, so there.

What do you mean about the transmission noise? Is it the way there's no interruption in noise during shift and it's all just seamless? That's fair enough.

I guess when a brand's entire fleet uses the same box, you can't really swap it out for something more aggressive without incurring significant development costs. If you look at their range, it's pretty much the same engine/trans layout on every car.

What do you mean about the transmission noise? Is it the way there's no interruption in noise during shift and it's all just seamless? That's fair enough.

I guess when a brand's entire fleet uses the same box, you can't really swap it out for something more aggressive without incurring significant development costs. If you look at their range, it's pretty much the same engine/trans layout on every car.

Exactly that. Without the off-throttle pause between shifts that you get on manuals or certain auto-boxes the exhaust note loses its edge. Personally I can't stand it and would prefer they mute the exhaust if they're going with the auto.

Then some motors get this fleetingly brief "BRRP" during shifting where the exhaust pops off as the revs drop. It sounds really bizarre and unnatural--the new M3/M4 is freakin' lousy for doing this, as is the F-Type V6.

Edit: It's the backfire on off-throttle but it sounds freakin' weird, not like backfire between shifts with a manual.

Edit the Second: Acceleration should sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZISXNoUsVE#t=287

J-Rzez

2015 Subaru WRX; not bad looking in person.
The new Corvette looks so cool. I feel like its a car I would imagine as a kid from the future.

Naw, the new Rex isn't bad looking at all. People are getting some good MPG's out of it, and for it's price, it's easily the best performance bang for the buck + practicality on the market.

The problem is that Subaru pulled their usual BS and shown off that ridiculously awesome WRX concept, people, including myself are still bitter over that.

That said, I'm test driving a new STI here shortly. From what I gather from Evo 8/9 owners, it feels like those Evos, and that's what I want. I'll keep it until they inevitably revise it with a new motor in 2-3 years and then consider getting that depending on what else is available at that time.

Getting married really put a damper on my budgets. Would have got a 235i or something, but yeah... lol. I might just keep the next car for a long while and save up for an Atom.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jesus crimeny Christmas, Mercedes naming conventions and website are an absolute clusterfuck.

Basically unless you're already a Mercedes fan, there's no way to figure out wtf is going on.

AlphaSnake

Not sure what you mean by the transmission noise? Are you trying to say the ZF makes it seem like you're driving a CVT or something?

In any case, I have to absolutely disagree and wonder if you've ever heard or driven these cars in person? They sound maddeningly awesome. It's a delicious noise from start to finish.

Is there any source on the internet for detailed reliability data of older (10+ years old) cars?

I was hopping around on JD Power's website reading through some of their research and looking at their long-term reliability and realized that they only started implementing that 5-star system in the mid 00s or so.

Then I realized I couldn't really think of any one site that provides some sort systematic reliability scoring for old vehicles, and even JD Power's 5 star thing is pretty lacking.

Does Consumer Reports offer something like this with a subscription?

Mostly curious more than anything.

So I may be picking up a Lotus Evora in the next couple of weeks. It's honestly a dream car of mine and I've been saving for quite some time. Pretty excited.

Top Bottom