• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Not sure what you mean by the transmission noise? Are you trying to say the ZF makes it seem like you're driving a CVT or something?

In any case, I have to absolutely disagree and wonder if you've ever heard or driven these cars in person? They sound maddeningly awesome. It's a delicious noise from start to finish.

Nah it's the way the drivetrain operates during shifts. Instead of going off throttle the shift happens so quickly that the engine stays on throttle and there's no break in the exhaust note--the rpms just go down. To me, at least, it lessens the drama of it all; I want the off-throttle snarl of the engine for the half second it takes for a shift and the tremble in the rpm as the clutch snaps back on to the engine.

I've heard cars like this in person and while the exhaust notes sounds great they're missing that certain something--I know it's subjective it but it annoys me all the same.

Is there any source on the internet for detailed reliability data of older (10+ years old) cars?

I was hopping around on JD Power's website reading through some of their research and looking at their long-term reliability and realized that they only started implementing that 5-star system in the mid 00s or so.

Then I realized I couldn't really think of any one site that provides some sort systematic reliability scoring for old vehicles, and even JD Power's 5 star thing is pretty lacking.

Does Consumer Reports offer something like this with a subscription?

Mostly curious more than anything.

If you're looking at cars past the '00 mark the answer is that none of them will be terribly reliable. You're better off going to forums dedicated to that car to check for serious issues or reliability raves and rants.

I've never found long-term reliability rankings that made much sense or gave you much information. Heck I've seen long-term engine reliability rated as good or great for cars that have many known catastrophic failure modes.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nah it's the way the drivetrain operates during shifts. Instead of going off throttle the shift happens so quickly that the engine stays on throttle and there's no break in the exhaust note--the rpms just go down. To me, at least, it lessens the drama of it all; I want the off-throttle snarl of the engine for the half second it takes for a shift and the tremble in the rpm as the clutch snaps back on to the engine.

I've heard cars like this in person and while the exhaust notes sounds great they're missing that certain something--I know it's subjective it but it annoys me all the same.

Man, you'll absolutely hate loud DCT cars, then.

If you're looking at cars past the '00 mark the answer is that none of them will be terribly reliable. You're better off going to forums dedicated to that car to check for serious issues or reliability raves and rants.

I've never found long-term reliability rankings that made much sense or gave you much information. Heck I've seen long-term engine reliability rated as good or great for cars that have many known catastrophic failure modes.

Yep. That's exactly what I found so confusing about it.

Watched this earlier today. Looks like so much fun!

Rev Works' FRS for sale for $27K. Garrett turbo, making just 300HP flywheel at 12psi. Dyno'd 250WHP+ at 9psi. $27K for a daily driver build is dirt cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231266061728?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Acceleration video, scroll to 5 minute mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mObjOp5Q1Y

Now that looks fucking proper! :O

My friend decided on buying his FR-S based on all the shit he read about how well the engines take to turbos (according to the internet, youtube videos, and testimonials). He wants to work it up to 500 horses eventually. I don't know how realistic that goal is, but the video of a tuned GT86 pulling away from a GT-R sealed the deal for him.

J-Rzez

Rev Works' FRS for sale for $27K. Garrett turbo, making just 300HP flywheel at 12psi. Dyno'd 250WHP+ at 9psi. $27K for a daily driver build is dirt cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231266061728?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Acceleration video, scroll to 5 minute mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mObjOp5Q1Y

Now that looks fucking proper! :O

Oh no, they ruined the purity and perfect balance of that car by adding more power than factory... test drive, cancelled.

My newest suspicion is you'll see the WRX's motor in the BRZ when the STI get's it's version of said motor in 2-3 years.

Yo fellas, I've developed some water spots on my car. I've tried some basics (elbow grease, bug & tar remover, windex for the glass spots) and nada. Is there anything readily available that I can use? Or do I really need to call my car detailer?

Yo fellas, I've developed some water spots on my car. I've tried some basics (elbow grease, bug & tar remover, windex for the glass spots) and nada. Is there anything readily available that I can use? Or do I really need to call my car detailer?

I've never had to deal with them myself but I bet a clay bar would work. Google is your friend! Apparently clay bar and paint cleaner is the way to go.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?4891-How-To-Remove-Water-Spots

Halvie

Banned

pretty much any polish you can buy

bcl0328

Container with Mercedes SLS AMG gullwing falls off a ship in an Argentine port. 5 days later is was pulled out. A total loss.

i64Fe7f.jpg

J-Rzez

Claybar and then swirl remover (Wolfgang for example) then polish. You can use the claybar on the glass BTW.

No vid this time but track progress update! My 3rd time out at Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway.

http://www.nasa-tt.com/Norcal_Track_Records "TT2 Marty Brill Jr. 56 2004 Caterham 1:48.021 2/9/2013" Broke the TT2 track record with NASA! :D That's the class my car would classify in except they get to run Hoosier's and I don't :(

My time: http://abload.de/img/dvhtgmcbk7l.png Fastest: 1:47.34

Improved my laptime by 3.5 seconds over last time. This is the first time I've put on a fresh set of Michelin Sport Cups for Sears. It certainly helped and I got Sears figured out much better.

If I can get to 1:45's with street tires, I'll be over the moon but at this point, shaving another 2 seconds will be very difficult. We shall see!

Banglish

So I may be picking up a Lotus Evora in the next couple of weeks. It's honestly a dream car of mine and I've been saving for quite some time. Pretty excited.

Ooo, post pictures if you do!

Anyone have an idea of when we can expect pictures/specs of the next a4, a5?
I'm bored of going through renders

Ooo, post pictures if you do!

Anyone have an idea of when we can expect pictures/specs of the next a4, a5?
I'm bored of going through renders

Round the time the auto show season hits I suppose.

Honestly, the renders are probably 95% of the finished product, like this one:

Just look at the new A3 and make it a few inches longer. I don't expect any drastic changes. Marc Lichte has only been head of design for six months now, so we won't see any of his stuff for a while longer.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Just look at the new A3 and make it a few inches longer. I don't expect any drastic changes. Marc Lichte has only been head of design for six months now, so we won't see any of his stuff for a while longer.

They also very recently refreshed the A4, so I doubt we'll see a new B9 platform until 2016.

J-Rzez

So I'm going to have to order my next car, a Subaru STI. I narrowed it down between WR Blue Pearl and White Pearl. My current car of 10 years is blue, and I never had a white car yet (besides my fiance's). So I can do white pearl with red and black wheels which I think would look good. But blue is my favorite color, and WR Blue Pearl looks so so good. I'm sure I can find a nice color scheme to do wheel wise with the Blue, and no, not doing "Gold", don't care about the heritage lol.

I'm going to have to decide soon I guess, as it's going to take 12 weeks or so for the order to be completed.

Reven

So I'm going to have to order my next car, a Subaru STI. I narrowed it down between WR Blue Pearl and White Pearl. My current car of 10 years is blue, and I never had a white car yet (besides my fiance's). So I can do white pearl with red and black wheels which I think would look good. But blue is my favorite color, and WR Blue Pearl looks so so good. I'm sure I can find a nice color scheme to do wheel wise with the Blue, and no, not doing "Gold", don't care about the heritage lol.

I'm going to have to decide soon I guess, as it's going to take 12 weeks or so for the order to be completed.

That's a tough choice. I would personally want the WR Blue, with the gold rims but that's just me. I do think think the white looks goes better with the rims on both current STI trims. I know you said you narrowed it down to those two colors, but you should really go see the Dark Gray Metallic in person if you haven't before. Its gorgeous and the Subaru websites doesn't do it justice.

J-Rzez

That's a tough choice. I would personally want the WR Blue, with the gold rims but that's just me. I do think think the white looks goes better with the rims on both current STI trims. I know you said you narrowed it down to those two colors, but you should really go see the Dark Gray Metallic in person if you haven't before. Its gorgeous and the Subaru websites doesn't do it justice.

I've seen it in person. It's not bad at all, and I can see why people would like it, but I'm just set on the WR Blue and White pearl. The stock wheels (i'm getting a base STI btw, don't want leather this time, nor a sunroof) are a dark gun metal, and a decent style for my winter tires. :)

I'll be getting a set of summer wheels though, haven't decided.

Don't think I've seen those cherry blossom volks before, I'll have to check them out. Though I'm pretty cautious on white wheels and their upkeep. I do like the Volks that come in red satin velvet finish though.

J-Rzez

"Cherry Blossom Red" is the color of the STi pink stuff. I love it, and think it pops really well with a white background.

Someone said "the pinks" are a bit different in shade, I'd have to check that out, didn't notice it when I was looking at one. I like, well, love the way those wheels look and would match the car. I just don't think I could live with white wheels on a daily driver. They would drive me crazy with brake dust.

You have a direct link + price of those volks though by chance? Just in case? ;)

I think I'm set on some form of satin red, or black and red, but I keep an open mind.

I also didn't rule out the possibility of "purple" wheels on it believe it or not. lol.

No Love

Banned

Why the hell would you buy a new STI with that old garbage motor? Just buy the new WRX, it's got the new direct injection motor... and you can trade it in for what you paid for it (or close enough) in a couple of years when they actually release the STI with a worthwhile motor.

No Love

Banned
Despite not having the new shiny, there's a ton of journalists that still love the STi.

That motor is unacceptable. It's a POS of very questionable quality. I mean, you can get that motor in a 2004 STI, and it still has those goofy ringland issues etc! At least the Evo's motor was fucking godly and uber-reliable, not to mention they added stuff like MIVEC to improve it.

STI buyers deserve the new Direct Injection motor, not this old carryover. It's really a shame that they saddled the new chassis and handling with a relic. I think the WRX is a much better buy overall.

Is this post applicable for "crazyoldmanyellsatsky.jpg"?

J-Rzez

Why the hell would you buy a new STI with that old garbage motor? Just buy the new WRX, it's got the new direct injection motor... and you can trade it in for what you paid for it (or close enough) in a couple of years when they actually release the STI with a worthwhile motor.

Because i'm bored with my car now, I had it for 10 years since I bought it new. I like my AWD turbo cars because I live in NEPA. The reason I haven't got rid of my car was the STIs and EVO X didn't feel like it. I read enough reports from people that it feels like a Evo 8/9, that's a good thing.

There's lots of other cars Id be interested in but i'm getting married in a year, plus taking classes for a new career, so only car I can comfortably afford right now is the STI that Id be interested in. When I'm done with school and the wedding, I'll get something else. Either the inevitable STI refresh with the FA series motor, or something else that catches my eye.

I don't like the feel of the Evo X compared to mine. I test drove them twice now and don't like it. The STI has a 13:1 rack in it, a great steering wheel and shifter, sounds good, and will be enough to hold me over.

I'm not modding out the STI much since I'm not keeping it long, just a Tomei Ti catback, some wheels, rear sway, and a proper stereo and calling it a day. The EJ257 should handle that just fine. Plus I had friends with last gen STIs, one broke it in hard, the other soft, the hard break in car with a lot of mods had ringland issues, the proper soft break in car was fine.

There's a night and day difference in feel between a WRX and STI due to steering and stiffness. I'll pass on the lifeless electric steering of the WRX.

mkenyon

Banned
That motor is unacceptable. It's a POS of very questionable quality. I mean, you can get that motor in a 2004 STI, and it still has those goofy ringland issues etc! At least the Evo's motor was fucking godly and uber-reliable, not to mention they added stuff like MIVEC to improve it.

STI buyers deserve the new Direct Injection motor, not this old carryover. It's really a shame that they saddled the new chassis and handling with a relic. I think the WRX is a much better buy overall.

Is this post applicable for "crazyoldmanyellsatsky.jpg"?
As J-Rzez points out, EJ25 means hydraulic steering. That'd be enough for me. The engine in my WRX always felt like a secondary benefit.

No Love

Banned
Because i'm bored with my car now, I had it for 10 years since I bought it new. I like my AWD turbo cars because I live in NEPA. The reason I haven't got rid of my car was the STIs and EVO X didn't feel like it. I read enough reports from people that it feels like a Evo 8/9, that's a good thing.

There's lots of other cars Id be interested in but i'm getting married in a year, plus taking classes for a new career, so only car I can comfortably afford right now is the STI that Id be interested in. When I'm done with school and the wedding, I'll get something else. Either the inevitable STI refresh with the FA series motor, or something else that catches my eye.

I don't like the feel of the Evo X compared to mine. I test drove them twice now and don't like it. The STI has a 13:1 rack in it, a great steering wheel and shifter, sounds good, and will be enough to hold me over.

I'm not modding out the STI much since I'm not keeping it long, just a Tomei Ti catback, some wheels, rear sway, and a proper stereo and calling it a day. The EJ257 should handle that just fine. Plus I had friends with last gen STIs, one broke it in hard, the other soft, the hard break in car with a lot of mods had ringland issues, the proper soft break in car was fine.

There's a night and day difference in feel between a WRX and STI due to steering and stiffness. I'll pass on the lifeless electric steering of the WRX.

As J-Rzez points out, EJ25 means hydraulic steering. That'd be enough for me. The engine in my WRX always felt like a secondary benefit.

You guys bring up some good points. I just can't believe they put the EJ257 in there. smh.

And for what a new STI goes for, you can get a used '09 CTS-V... I know what I'd be buying. BIG SUPERCHARGED V8, YEEHAW <3 I saw a nice, clean '09 CTS-V recently going for $33k... Jesussss

J-Rzez

You guys bring up some good points. I just can't believe they put the EJ257 in there. smh.

And for what a new STI goes for, you can get a used '09 CTS-V... I know what I'd be buying. BIG SUPERCHARGED V8, YEEHAW <3 I saw a nice, clean '09 CTS-V recently going for $33k... Jesussss

I love the CTS-V to be honest. If I were to buy any GM product from said life cycle, it would be one of those. Unfortunately, it's a GM, and I'm gun-shy of any GM product. I've owned them in the past, and knowing first hand people getting recalls for that ignition debacle in which they tried to cover up, and still are, I wouldn't buy a GM product any time soon, even new. I just don't trust their quality one bit. Which is a shame, that e-Caddy coupe is sooo killer looking, not just the CTS-Vs. And I'm sure the new Z06 will dominate.

Plus, I need AWD for NEPA winters in these mountains. lol.

I do not, unfortunately.

It's pretty cheap to get stuff powdercoated though.

Yeah, I have a buddy that powdercoats and looks fantastic. Considering I can order 2lbs of premium powdercoat for $20, and he charges me a case of beer for the work, I'm not afraid of that option. :)

These I do love. Would think they'd look killer on white pearl.

I might be able to find them for cheaper but this is what they were asking for at the time:

RAYS Gramslight 57xtreme - 18x9.5 +40mm 5x100
- Velvet Red and Velvet Blue
- $2099 Shipped

They also very recently refreshed the A4, so I doubt we'll see a new B9 platform until 2016.

2016 model, but I expect late 2015 availability, and early 2015 reveal. The B8 is ancient relative to the F30 and W205.

They gave me a 2014 loaner for my last service at the stealership and it was definitely still a wonderful place to be, but the luster is fading, plus the thing looks exactly like the latest Jetta nowadays, minus the DRLs.

Scoobert

RAYS Gramslight 57xtreme - 18x9.5 +40mm 5x100
- Velvet Red and Velvet Blue
- $2099 Shipped

Just make sure it's 5x114.3.

Also, I actually ordered a CWP Sti base last week, probably will have it in October. I currently have a '13 WRX hatch, I've had an Evo X and a Gti mkv in the past. I can't wait to get it, pretty excited.

Everyone always says wait, wait. But before you know it you'll be waiting again and again. If you want it, then get it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Some good and bad news regarding the 2015 Dodge Challenger. The good news is that pricing should be available by the 9th, so eight days, give or take. The bad news is that B5 Blue and Sublime won't be available at launch- the guys at challengertalk.com seem convinced that it'll be November at the earliest before those become available.

The Shaker options are already a late launch- early 2015 is what I hear...

EDIT: Nine minutes of Chrysler employees talking Hellcat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh-z-0aeEhg

Stay tuned- about two minutes in, there's a cameo from an Alfa Romeo 4C.

Banglish

Maan that makes me sad. I wish they would make each model just a little more distinct.
A quick google of Marc Lichte says that's one of his tasks, we'll see though.

J-Rzez

Just make sure it's 5x114.3.

Also, I actually ordered a CWP Sti base last week, probably will have it in October. I currently have a '13 WRX hatch, I've had an Evo X and a Gti mkv in the past. I can't wait to get it, pretty excited.

Everyone always says wait, wait. But before you know it you'll be waiting again and again. If you want it, then get it.

Right, i just copied the text quickly, lol.

They give you a time in weeks they expected it to be in? They're telling me at least 8-12 weeks, most likely 16 if I were to order now. :(

Katarina

Neo Member
Gonna introduce y'all to the baby.

How she looked when I first got her:

Baby%203.JPG

Baby%204.JPG

Paint was fading in places, ended up needing a bit of work.

After some work, and the day she came home freshly repainted:

Display%203.jpg

Display%204.jpg

Was really happy with how the job went. Even though it was only fading in certain places, I decided to go with the entire body repaint. Got the top and trunk completely stripped considering the fading was starting to get bad there.

Now, she looks like this:

Display%202.jpg

Display%201.jpg

1999, but people mistake it for a more modern version sometimes now, closer to 02 or 03.

Scoobert

Right, i just copied the text quickly, lol.

They give you a time in weeks they expected it to be in? They're telling me at least 8-12 weeks, most likely 16 if I were to order now. :(

I'm told 8-12 weeks also. Seems like everyone is getting them in 12 weeks or sooner. Certain options will delay it further. I really want it now but I can wait, hopefully lol. I just wanted what I ordered and can't find that around here. Plus getting it under invoice helps lol.

Seems like WRXs and any WRX/Sti with Nav are taking the longest though.

Top Bottom