• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Okay and I guess the trade in value of the car which is around $18,000 won't factor into the cost at all?

$5000 negative equity means that you owe $23000 on the car which with a trade-in-value of $18000. So your options are

1) Pay $23000 to Honda, Give car to Subaru, Subaru takes $18,000 off the WRX.

or

2) Give the car to Subaru, they add $5000 to the cost of the WRX.

or

3) Keep the Civic for a few more years if you don't hate it.

mkenyon

Banned
It is worth noting that you do *not* pay sales tax on any value deducted from a trade in as well, if you live in a state that has sales tax.

I agree with you on the 5 (and every other non-M in the BMW lineup) - they no longer inspire. The competition has caught up. I had a Kia Optima rental for a week after a week with the F30/32 BMWs; I was surprised by how close the cars were in general feel and quality. While the BMWs were still superior, the gap was much narrower than the badges suggest it should be.

Congrats on the big Infiniti - nice car.

Are you talking about driving dynamics or fit and finish quality because the optima is not sporty or a good drive at all even for it's own segment though kia has done a good job in general with providing interiors above their class level.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Are you talking about driving dynamics or fit and finish quality because the optima is not sporty or a good drive at all even for it's own segment though kia has done a good job in general with providing interiors above their class level.

As a daily driver, they are close. Driven hard, the BMWs are better, but still leave something to be desired.

Forsete

Speaking of GM.. For some reason I see more and more Chevys on the roads (in Sweden).
The Cruze is a popular model.

Chevrolet, KIA, Hyundai are growing in popularity here.
Still, Volvo and Volkswagen holds the market in a firm grip. V70s and Passats are so common its almost comical. :p
And quite a lot of SAABs (9-3 and 9-5) still, may they rest in peace (fuck you GM). :(

Speaking of GM.. For some reason I see more and more Chevys on the roads (in Sweden).

Still, Volvo and Volkswagen holds the market in a firm grip. V70s and Passats are so common its almost comical. :p
And quite a lot of SAABs (9-3 and 9-5) still, may they rest in peace (fuck you GM). :(
I just got a Cruze in the US. See them everywhere too.

Cheap, gas efficient and packed with features. Made it appealing to me. And at least for now, my 2013 model has avoided any recall issues.

Chevy will stop sellling cars in a few years in europe. you can get some huge reductions on them at the moment. maybe thats why.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If I get a 2015 Mustang, it'll be in Competition Orange with black wheels, like this.

attachment.php

I can only get those wheels with the EcoBoost turbo four and the EcoBoost performance package, which is about what I''m thinking about anyways.

Lizardus

If I get a 2015 Mustang, it'll be in Competition Orange with black wheels, like this.

attachment.php

I can only get those wheels with the EcoBoost turbo four and the EcoBoost performance package, which is about what I''m thinking about anyways.

I don't even know why there is a V6 model. It seems pretty redundant.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
They aren't even offering the V6 in Europe.

They never were. This is the first global platform Mustang, it was always going to have a base 4-cylinder in most overseas markets except the US, where a vast majority of its sales will still occur.

Ford needs to wait it out and see how the turbo-4 performs before they axe the V6, because Americans are fixated on bigger motors.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
They never were. This is the first global platform Mustang, it was always going to have a base 4-cylinder in most overseas markets except the US, where a vast majority of its sales will still occur.

Ford needs to wait it out and see how the turbo-4 performs before they axe the V6, because Americans are fixated on bigger motors.

The EcoBoost is supposed to have a flat torque curve. We shall see about that.

AlphaSnake

"Michael Schumacher is no longer in a coma and has left the hospital in Grenoble where he was being treated following a skiing accident last December."

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/162791.html

The best news.

Not really...he's still in a virtually vegetated state. The grim reality of it is that he will likely die of an infection or the flu on his very bed, because the body simply won't be able to fight off illnesses in that kind of condition or at least hold it off.

J-Rzez

All the talk about the Mustang, I haven't visited this thread in a while, but after checking it out in person I was let down. Usually, usually cars look better to me in person than in pics and vids, not this time. I basically dismissed it. It would take some ridiculous performance to get me into one of them. Which is a shame, I was really big into the design of the new one too.

I've been shopping for a new car, but I got some commuting on my hands coming up and I need something new. My 10mpg Evo isn't going to cut it. Plus being at the point where it's dirty and I don't feel like washing it anymore is a sign the love's gone. I've had it since I bought it new in 04 though, so I've stood with it for some time I guess.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, the BYO page for the 2015 Fiat 500 is up on cars.com and AOL Autos now. The Abarth automatic is a $1200 option, but for some weird reason, I can't select cloth seats, only leather. Without the leather, it would be $28K with the options I want. Surely it's an error or something.

No Love

Banned
So, the BYO page for the 2015 Fiat 500 is up on cars.com and AOL Autos now. The Abarth automatic is a $1200 option, but for some weird reason, I can't select cloth seats, only leather. Without the leather, it would be $28K with the options I want. Surely it's an error or something.

y u liek dem lame cars

mkenyon

Banned
I've been shopping for a new car, but I got some commuting on my hands coming up and I need something new. My 10mpg Evo isn't going to cut it. Plus being at the point where it's dirty and I don't feel like washing it anymore is a sign the love's gone. I've had it since I bought it new in 04 though, so I've stood with it for some time I guess.
As a former WRX/Evo lover, my EX35 very much feels like a grown up version of a WRX Wagon. Check out the Q50, you might dig it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thoughts on a 2012 or later 2-door Wrangler?

Always been a car guy, but had to buy a RWD (lololol) 2011 Liberty in a pinch, and I've actually really grown to appreciate how handy it comes. Haul stuff, tow stuff, cross through barriers, etc. I think I'd like to get an off-roady vehicle that I can use as a daily driver; and I don't like trucks, The X-Terra is a bit too big for me, and I hate the FJ. I really like the Wrangler, and they seem to be the de-facto utility vehicle.

Right now I'm toying with a 2014 Willys edition - comes out to just about $28K brand new.

To be perfectly honest, though, probably won't actually take the plunge for another year or so.

mkenyon

Banned

Always been a car guy, but had to buy a RWD (lololol) 2011 Liberty in a pinch, and I've actually really grown to appreciate how handy it comes. Haul stuff, tow stuff, cross through barriers, etc. I think I'd like to get an off-roady vehicle that I can use as a daily driver; and I don't like trucks, The X-Terra is a bit too big for me, and I hate the FJ. I really like the Wrangler, and they seem to be the de-facto utility vehicle.

Right now I'm toying with a 2014 Willys edition - comes out to just about $28K brand new.

To be perfectly honest, though, probably won't actually take the plunge for another year or so.
Only do it if you

A) Offroad.

B) Want a convertible, but want a different aesthetic that the Jeep provides.

C) Love Jeeps.

If you don't hit all three of those, you will sell it within a few years after getting sick of it.

Though that might sound like it's coming from someone who doesn't like Wranglers, my first pride and joy was a 2000 Wrangler Sport manual with a 4" lift and 32" tires. My dad bought one of the newer ones a few years back, and I did get a chance to drive it. It's certainly more liveable than the TJ, but still, there's so many cars that make a lot more sense in the same price range. If you do it, do it because you love the JEEP.

AlphaSnake

As a former WRX/Evo lover, my EX35 very much feels like a grown up version of a WRX Wagon. Check out the Q50, you might dig it.

Yes.

But get the sport model. The base car wallows and wafts about way too much on the highway. I get them as rentals sometimes, and getting one that was a Q50S, I couldn't imagine owning the base car.

J-Rzez

They're nice, but I'm kinda looking for something that feels like my Evo8, and that's not going to feel like an Evo. The STI probably won't feel like it, let alone that. I may have settled down and got engaged, but I'm not settling down yet in my automotive experiences. :)

Open_Speed

Neo Member
I have a 2012 Rubicon 2 Door and I agree with everything mkenyon says. Unless you are into offroading and/or taking the top and doors off all summer, the Wrangler is such a compromise. It rides terrible, has no space, handles bad and has cheap features. But all is forgiven when you are out on the trails or driving around with the doors taken off and topless. I will say the four door model, it is a much better daily driver.

Only do it if you

A) Offroad.

C) Love Jeeps.

If you don't hit all three of those, you will sell it within a few years after getting sick of it.

Though that might sound like it's coming from someone who doesn't like Wranglers, my first pride and joy was a 2000 Wrangler Sport manual with a 4" lift and 32" tires. My dad bought one of the newer ones a few years back, and I did get a chance to drive it. It's certainly more liveable than the TJ, but still, there's so many cars that make a lot more sense in the same price range. If you do it, do it because you love the JEEP.

As a daily driver, they are close. Driven hard, the BMWs are better, but still leave something to be desired.

As a daily driver most good cars in the class are going to "be close" although the 2012 optima I drove was still pretty bad in terms of sportiness but good in terms of general comfort. Daily driving is mundane and is meant to take the edge and sportiness out of cars. I'm not sure that's a good measure of the differences in driving dynamics. What car in the compact or smaller midsize sedan segment do you think is better than the 3 series in terms of driving?

It will eventually be phased out. This is just a study to gauge the take rate between the two models.

I'd see them keeping the V6 around longer if the ecoboost doesn't sound good though I'm not sure even your base mustang buyer cares more about just having a mustang or having a bigger engine.

The three things mkenyon listed are spot on, a Wrangler really doesn't make any sense unless all three apply to you.

I'm kind of curious why you say that the Xterra is too big for you because I have one and it's the smallest body-on-frame SUV outside of the Wrangler--like a tall mid-size sedan with a really big trunk (only a couple inches longer wheelbase than a Chevy Malibu). And if you're considering towing the Wrangler is only rated for 2,000lbs. while the Xterra is good for 5,000lbs. It's still great off-road, too, but has a lot more interior space than the Wrangler.

Hesemonni

Banned
I guess somebody over at Mercedes kinda forgot the car needs a media/navi/command screen of sorts and kinda went with slap-the-cheapest-tablet-on-top-of-it approach. The overall materials quality has been greatly improved however. This based on a quick sit in in the new C-class. The wood is indeed hideous in the CLS pic :D

TCRS

Banned
the tablet design is not too bad in the C-Class but here it's just hideous. the current one looks like this:

2013_mercedes-benz_cls-class-pic-6023588850253259306.png

it's perfect, just modify it a bit. no need for the tablet approach. gosh I hope they don't do the same with the new E-Class in 2016 (?), since the CLS interior is/was based on the E-Class interior.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a 2012 Rubicon 2 Door and I agree with everything mkenyon says. Unless you are into offroading and/or taking the top and doors off all summer, the Wrangler is such a compromise. It rides terrible, has no space, handles bad and has cheap features. But all is forgiven when you are out on the trails or driving around with the doors taken off and topless. I will say the four door model, it is a much better daily driver.
HERESY! There is no four door Wrangler.

Yeah I know. But still.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Only do it if you

A) Offroad.

C) Love Jeeps.

Thanks for the quick input!

I feel like all three of those apply to me. My GF and I enjoy going out on back country in places like Colorado and Arizona (the mountains/hills in Sedona are beautiful); last time we rented an Xterra, but having something of our own would be great.

I love the idea of a convertible, but would never be able to justify removing the ability to track my car if I bought a Camaro or something similar.

And my family had a Grand Cherokee Limited when I was younger that I loved. Felt like a family car that hadn't lost its gusto, if you know what I mean. Always drawn to the American "gung-ho" sensibilities of the Wrangler, even if half of that is because of marketing.

I'll definitely test-drive a few... maybe even rent one for a couple days to see how I like it for long-term highway driving. Is the manual decent? I've got nothing against stick; but for whatever reason in my head I picture something off a mid-80s pickup that's a pain in the ass.

mkenyon

Banned
Haven't had a chance to drive the new stick, so I can't say.

The manual on my TJ was a total bitch, but in all the best ways possible.

This thread is pushing me to buy a Wrangler now. I miss it so much :(

AlphaSnake

CLS facelift:

2015-mercedes-benz-cls-13-1.jpg

2015-mercedes-benz-cls-07-1.jpg

2015-mercedes-benz-cls-03-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/18/2015-mercedes-benz-cls-class-europe-official/

holy shit what an ugly interior.. maybe it's the wood but they've definitely ruined it with that ugly screen. the current solution is perfect.

the tablet design is not too bad in the C-Class but here it's just hideous. the current one looks like this:

2013_mercedes-benz_cls-class-pic-6023588850253259306.png

it's perfect, just modify it a bit. no need for the tablet approach. gosh I hope they don't do the same with the new E-Class in 2016 (?), since the CLS interior is/was based on the E-Class interior.

I literally just test drove a 2014 CLS550 the other day and I loved it. But I absolutely disagree with both comments. The updated interior looks beautiful, because the old screen was fucking tiny, cheap, and nearly unreadable, especially because it's so recessed into the console. They did exactly what the quote above asks, modify it a little up - essentially they increased the screen size and moved it outward towards you and that's it.

Seriously, though, for $72K you'd have to be a dumbass to choose an Audi A7 or S7 over the CLS550.

Open_Speed

Neo Member
Thanks for the quick input!

I feel like all three of those apply to me. My GF and I enjoy going out on back country in places like Colorado and Arizona (the mountains/hills in Sedona are beautiful); last time we rented an Xterra, but having something of our own would be great.

I love the idea of a convertible, but would never be able to justify removing the ability to track my car if I bought a Camaro or something similar.

And my family had a Grand Cherokee Limited when I was younger that I loved. Felt like a family car that hadn't lost its gusto, if you know what I mean. Always drawn to the American "gung-ho" sensibilities of the Wrangler, even if half of that is because of marketing.

I'll definitely test-drive a few... maybe even rent one for a couple days to see how I like it for long-term highway driving. Is the manual decent? I've got nothing against stick; but for whatever reason in my head I picture something off a mid-80s pickup that's a pain in the ass.

I drove an automatic JK for 2 months until my special ordered manual JK came in - which I have had for 2.5 years. The automatic is great and very smooth. The manual has long throws and a very soft clutch, but I have no issues with it. It is definitely sporty or "fun". I am lucky to have an Evo IX to get my sporty driving in, so I don't mind the JK being so crude. Overall, you can't lose either way. I will say though, offroading in the automatic is so such easier.

TCRS

Banned
I literally just test drove a 2014 CLS550 the other day and I loved it. But I absolutely disagree with both comments. The updated interior looks beautiful, because the old screen was fucking tiny, cheap, and nearly unreadable, especially because it's so recessed into the console. They did exactly what the quote above asks, modify it a little up - essentially they increased the screen size and moved it outward towards you and that's it.

Seriously, though, for $72K you'd have to be a dumbass to choose an Audi A7 or S7 over the CLS550.

maybe it's the colour/wood combination then. will have to see in the configurator and RL (not that I'll ever be able to afford it). and why would you not choose an A7 over the CLS? It's bigger afaik and can seat 5 people. you just have to tick that 300€ option, with the CLS you can't do that.

S550 4MATIC review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gUMtSISuwM

the intro lol. pretty good though.

Top Bottom