• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I honestly don't think it's fair to compare a ZL1 and a GT500 against the Hellcat. Both are track-oriented cars while the other is an instant burnout machine.

While all those time attack elitists are cutting corners as much as possible to save time, the Hellcat owners are probably laughing their asses off as they maniacally burn rubber through every corner like madmen.

I dunno about y'all but I personally would rather be one of those madmen killing tires like there's no tomorrow.

Translation: Both are proper performance machines while the other is the redneck yeehaw rocket.

There's nothing that interests me less in the automotive world than that brawn over brains rectangle on wheels.

Oh, you'll leave the other guys at the drag strip in the dust? So will a modded cobalt. Well done!

FStop7

Banned
That sounds like a lot of hand waving to excuse a car that apparently handles like shit. I don't know, I hadn't even heard of the Hellcat until now. Does it handle like shit?

So I recently bought (in February) a CPO Cruze and it has been fine overall. Except a lower than expected fuel economy and inconsistent pep when needed in the mighty Orlando highways. I knew when I bought it the 2014 Mazda3 looked great along with a 2013 or 14 Mustang.

Is it bad that I am kind of looking around again so soon lol?! Am I going to be upset if I keep the Cruze? No. But if I can do slightly better....

So I recently bought (in February) a CPO Cruze and it has been fine overall. Except a lower than expected fuel economy and inconsistent pep when needed in the mighty Orlando highways. I knew when I bought it the 2014 Mazda3 looked great along with a 2013 or 14 Mustang.

Is it bad that I am kind of looking around again so soon lol?! Am I going to be upset if I keep the Cruze? No. But if I can do slightly better....

Define bought. Are you paying it off, or did you pay for it in cash?

How much did you pay vs. its current value vs. a Mazda3, etc.

If you can trade it in/get rid of it and get something else you're looking at without incurring much, if any, of a loss, then keep on looking.

It comes down to how comfortable you are with probably losing a few thousand bucks if you swap cars.

Define bought. Are you paying it off, or did you pay for it in cash?

How much did you pay vs. its current value vs. a Mazda3, etc.

If you can trade it in/get rid of it and get something else you're looking at without incurring much, if any, of a loss, then keep on looking.

It comes down to how comfortable you are with probably losing a few thousand bucks if you swap cars.

Yes, bought = financed. And yeah, that is part of the research. Worst case, I'm right where I'm at now with a solid car.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Translation: Both are proper performance machines while the other is the redneck yeehaw rocket.

There's nothing that interests me less in the automotive world than that brawn over brains rectangle on wheels.

Oh, you'll leave the other guys at the drag strip in the dust? So will a modded cobalt. Well done!
But you'd look less like a boy racer with a Hellcat. Strip the interior, add a roll cage, and bam.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member

Exactly. This car will come in at possibly twice the amount of a Camaro SS or Mustang GT. I could put that money into either of those cars and build something that would destroy a hellcat and still have money left over. Impressive engine, mediocre car.

At least the Cobalt owner will enjoy his ride instead of pissing about semantics that nobody really gives a shit about.

Like I said, those future Hellcat owners don't give a shit if the ZL1 and the GT500 are faster. It's sole purpose is for burnouts and general stupidity, so why hate on such a thing? Just because it's slow and mediocre? The Miata is slow and mediocre, yet it's the best selling roadster in existence... wonder why that is.

And before I get called as the resident redneck of Auto-GAF... I'm an Asian guy with a Miata... far from being a redneck even though I live in Texas, but at least I can understand why the Hellcat is awesome and don't have such blind hate for it.

At least the Cobalt owner will enjoy his ride instead of pissing about semantics that nobody really gives a shit about.

Like I said, those future Hellcat owners don't give a shit if the ZL1 and the GT500 are faster. It's sole purpose is for burnouts and general stupidity, so why hate on such a thing? Just because it's slow and mediocre? The Miata is slow and mediocre, yet it's the best selling roadster in existence... wonder why that is.

And before I get called as the resident redneck of Auto-GAF... I'm an Asian guy with a Miata... far from being a redneck even though I live in Texas, but at least I can understand why the Hellcat is awesome and don't have such blind hate for it.

I just want to clarify that my last post wasn't aimed directly at you, just quoted your comments as a springboard for my opinion.

I hate the logic behind the Hellcat, general stupidity, as you called it. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

There's plenty of other cars that can punch your face in when you accelerate, and then also turn around a corner without ripping the wheels apart.

For example, the SRT weighs 4200 pounds. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they manage to strip 400 pounds off that number for the Hellcat which would put it on equal footing with a certain Japanese car than can run 0-60 in under 3 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 11 seconds, if not less, and achieves track times that put exotics to shame.

If the Hellcat can't match that performance, with all that extra power, then what advantage does it bring to the table?

Oh well that's all good and fine if you want to be driven by a computer, says the Luddite, my Hellcat is about soul and passion and the American way!

Blargh.

tl;dr: If your vehicle is putting out 700 horses, I expect a track car to go with that number.

Yes, bought = financed. And yeah, that is part of the research. Worst case, I'm right where I'm at now with a solid car.

Well shit, go for it then man. I've heard pretty decent thing about the Cruze, but the new Mazda3 is great. If you're leaning on the stang, you should definitely way for the new gen model.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Drove an M235i today and I loved it! Absolutely loooooved it. A true BMW for those of us who miss the days of the E36 and E46s.

I understand your point. But like I said, whoever will buy these Hellcats... to them the numbers don't matter. If they were so concerned about the numbers, they obviously wouldn't pick up a Hellcat.

Let's twist this around for a bit... why do people buy exotics when they don't even drive them to the limit all the time?

Why buy Godzilla, a Pagani, a Koenigsegg, Veyron, Huracan, LaFerrari, Porsche 918... the list goes on and on... why buy them if you rarely, if not never, gonna take them to the track to drive it to the limit?

I think somebody mentioned the answer to this a while back, but the answer is that it's an emotional purchase. You buy an exotic because you like the way it looks, how it makes you look, and above all how it makes you feel.

Now back to the Hellcat, why can't that same rule apply? Just because it's all "a sound and fury of nothingness" to you, doesn't mean that it's the same thing to the other person. These future Hellcat owners love the way it looks, how it makes them look and how it makes them feel.

TL;DR: Let's just enjoy the Hellcat for it's stupidity and nothing else as the numbers don't matter to this car.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
I understand your point. But like I said, whoever will buy these Hellcats... to them the numbers don't matter. If they were so concerned about the numbers, they obviously wouldn't pick up a Hellcat.

Let's twist this around for a bit... why do people buy exotics when they don't even drive them to the limit all the time?

Why buy Godzilla, a Pagani, a Koenigsegg, Veyron, Huracan, LaFerrari, Porsche 918... the list goes on and on... why buy them if you rarely, if not never, gonna take them to the track to drive it to the limit?

I think somebody mentioned the answer to this a while back, but the answer is that it's an emotional purchase. You buy an exotic because you like the way it looks, how it makes you look, and above all how it makes you feel.

Now back to the Hellcat, why can't that same rule apply? Just because it's all "a sound and fury of nothingness" to you, doesn't mean that it's the same thing to the other person. These future Hellcat owners love the way it looks, how it makes them look and how it makes them feel.

TL;DR: Let's just enjoy the Hellcat for it's stupidity and nothing else as the numbers don't matter to this car.

Because those cars are meant to show one's wealth and be engineering examples. They are a complete package that absolutely kick ass around a track and in a straight line. The hellcat does not do that. Like I said earlier, the car is just an engine.

Settin

That sounds like a lot of hand waving to excuse a car that apparently handles like shit. I don't know, I hadn't even heard of the Hellcat until now. Does it handle like shit?
Asking about the handling on a car like that is missing the point entirely. Straight line speed is a 'Murican past time.

Have they said whether or not it'll be a limited edition like the 1M?

I don't think so. The 1M came out during the global recession, and it wasn't cost effective. I think this time around the bean counters have got it figured out better. At least I hope so.

If it ends up being limited I'm trading in my car the moment it arrives at the dealership down the street.

I don't think so. The 1M came out during the global recession, and it wasn't cost effective. I think this time around the bean counters have got it figured out better. At least I hope so.

If it ends up being limited I'm trading in my car the moment it arrives at the dealership down the street.

That's great news!

Viperbah

Hellcat defense force: I don't think dodge would have come out and said it's the "fastest muscle car ever built" if they didn't field test it against the gt500. It will still preform pretty well for what it was meant to do.

The official spec sheet on Allpar was high 4400s. Looks are subjective, so I'm not counting that in this comparison. And when it comes to 1/4 mile times it is only fair to compare cars with similar transmissions if its offered. Comparing a GT500 to an auto Hellcat is like comparing a stock car to a modified car. Plus auto or not, that car is not hooking on 295s.

Not really, one comes with an auto stock, the other doesn't. It's still stock vs stock. That's like saying...you cant compare 1/4 mile times for a c6z with a gtr because one is awd/auto/boosted and the other isn't...makes no sense. The gt500 comes with 285s and the hellcat has 275s fyi.

Exactly. This car will come in at possibly twice the amount of a Camaro SS or Mustang GT. I could put that money into either of those cars and build something that would destroy a hellcat and still have money left over. Impressive engine, mediocre car.

You can say that about any car under the sun.

This as well. Even their "halo" products are known for poor reliability. Motortrend had a Viper TA where the plastic hood vents were flying out during track sessions.

Vipers were never and not known for poor reliability...they are built better than any mustang, camaro or corvette. I've owned examples of all of them and the viper was by far the most reliable.

Just spent three hours detailing and cleaning the car after going to the gym first thing in the morning because I couldn't fall asleep.

It started raining five minutes after I got it into the garage. Too exhausted to even bother taking pictures. I'm going to go die.

AlphaSnake

Did they say what engine will be in the M2?

Tuned N55 making 360HP, will come with LSD and a whole bunch of additional tunes and upgrades standard. The great thing about the M235i is that it IS an M-product - it is tuned and finalized by the motorsport division. But the M2 will be a beast that takes to another level.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
Hellcat defense force: I don't think dodge would have come out and said it's the "fastest muscle car ever built" if they didn't field test it against the gt500. It will still preform pretty well for what it was meant to do.

Not really, one comes with an auto stock, the other doesn't. It's still stock vs stock. That's like saying...you cant compare 1/4 mile times for a c6z with a gtr because one is awd/auto/boosted and the other isn't...makes no sense. The gt500 comes with 285s and the hellcat has 275s fyi.

You can say that about any car under the sun.

Vipers were never and not known for poor reliability...they are built better than any mustang, camaro or corvette. I've owned examples of all of them and the viper was by far the most reliable.

I would hope that a $120k Viper is better built than a $20k Mustang. However it is not better built than a Corvette. Never has been, never will be.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
Tuned N55 making 360HP, will come with LSD and a whole bunch of additional tunes and upgrades standard. The great thing about the M235i is that it IS an M-product - it is tuned and finalized by the motorsport division. But the M2 will be a beast that takes to another level.

That will be a very interesting car.

Viperbah

I would hope that a $120k Viper is better built than a $20k Mustang. However it is not better built than a Corvette. Never has been, never will be.

Oh, you have any actual evidence to back that up?

How many recalls does the current vette already have again?

Just on my c6z, I had to recycle the fluid for my clutch every time I changed the oil. My axle nuts were under torqued from the factory, the oil pan weeped...oh and the roof could fly off if you didn't have that recall fixed.

There are more problems & issues with one of the any generations of corvette than there are total with the viper.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Psh, haters gonna hate... I will own a Hellcat someday.

Does the Stingray, ZL1, and GT500 drive better? Probably, yeah.

Thing is, though, is that some people want their car to be more efficient. Others want a car that's faster. Others want a car that's more convenient. Others want a car that turns better.

I want a car that's badass. And to me, the Hellcat embodies that. It's silly. It's over the top. But I can burn through a set of tires in a day, and that's awesome.

/imature

mkenyon

Banned
When you see posts hating on the Hellcat, or critiquing it, it's basically people trying to soothe themselves because they can't own it.

J-Rzez

Will be out right when I finish up my classes and start my new career. Can't wait. Glad you liked the 235. I sat in it at the NYIAS this year and it was honestly near perfect, and I'm not big on BMWs. The seats are incredible, great visibility, everything in reach, wheel was fantastic. Just hate those awful gauges that BMW puts in their cars. So plain and poor looking.

In other news, read 4 different posts, 2 with picks of work orders backing it up that the 2015 STI's are still suffering from ringland issues. I know it's the old motor, but you would have thought Subaru would have addressed this ridiculous issue. The highest mile car had 7,400mi on it when it happened. 3 were stock. Fuck that. Don't care if it's under warranty or not, not dealing with this shit.

Getting quotes on WRXs now instead. Have read nothing but good on them, including MPG wise. Just need this car until I'm done with school and have my new job.

So today I learned that most banks hate doing leases on exotics and they will mark the residual to something incredibly piddly.. like 20% of the cars value.

They then require a huge down payment and due to the residual being so low, you have to fork over a crap ton each month.

"The More You Know"

Crazy.

Yet if it is something like a Porsche 911 or a BMW M6, they don't care. They will give you a residual that is like any other car in normal depreciation even if the car is worth less than the exotic. Banks are hilarious.

When you see posts hating on the Hellcat, or critiquing it, it's basically people trying to soothe themselves because they can't own it.

Quite the opposite. I'd have no use for it.

However, cool of dodge to make one.

I do think 275's on the rear will be tough for people to control. Hopefully the traction control is somewhat difficult to disengage.

Oh please don't start this bullshit. You presuming to know the financial status of people in this thread is about as childish of an argument as "I let you win!"

Thoughts from GAF regarding the Jaguar F-Type?

Due to the crazy Lotus residual situation with the bank, I want to have a few options open if I decide agst that option. F-Type looks really strike me as well as the exhaust note. I guess I haven't seen many of them on the road so I wasn't sure if they were going to be everywhere. I love having something unique.

Due to the crazy Lotus residual situation with the bank, I want to have a few options open if I decide agst that option. F-Type looks really strike me as well as the exhaust note. I guess I haven't seen many of them on the road so I wasn't sure if they were going to be everywhere. I love having something unique.

One of the most beautiful cars ever made. Reactions seem mostly positive from the press and that exhaust note is hnnnnnnng-inducing.

AlphaSnake

One of the best cars money can buy, hands down. Driven them a few times.

thenexus6

Do you like my Dads car?

303126_10150324892548817_1436515032_n.jpg

Nice. Good to hear some positive reactions.

I'm still tumbling in my head if I should do the Lotus or this..

UGH LIFE IS SO HARD FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

If I did the F-Type, I probably won't get an S though.

I drove a V6 S last year for an hour and it was absolutely amazing. If I could afford one!

Top Bottom