• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Looks like it's time to abandon this thread.

Cswhtj3VYAErsWW.jpg

So long, 86.

matmanx1

wlS2yK1.png

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

WOW congrats! Nice pick up, man. I don't know how you are going to sleep knowing that sweet ride belongs to you but is still 12 hours away! Also, I watched the little startup video on BAT. That is a beautiful M5!

Looks like it's time to abandon this thread.

Cswhtj3VYAErsWW.jpg

So long, 86.

Even if you get rid of the 86 you don't have to leave the thread!
But seriously, you didn't get rid of the 86 did you?

Anyone here watch B is for Build on youtube?, Dude has spent the past few months bringing back a crash damaged Lotus Evora from the brink, done a pretty awesome job of it so far too

I have never heard of them before now but I just subscribed. I love channels like this! Anyone have any other good ones?

I follow:
Mighty Car Mods
Turbo Toms Garage
Bad Obsession Motorsports
Eric the Car Guy
Kevin Malli (not a huge fan these days though)

ameratsu

Anyone here watch B is for Build on youtube?, Dude has spent the past few months bringing back a crash damaged Lotus Evora from the brink, done a pretty awesome job of it so far too

I binged watched a bunch of this last night. Cool channel, love what they've done with the Evora. Channels like this remind me a bit of Wheeler Dealers, with but less of Mike types loud-mouthing around and more just down and dirty car repairs with smart people.

Pretty interesting that in the very early videos, he (Chris) talks about doing fiberglass repair to a bunch of different panels, but in the end ends up replacing basically all the body panels except the doors and hood. The fiberglass repair he did to the rear bulkhead and door appeared to be very good, though.

I hope that's a sarcasm joke about its size versus the parking space size :'(

Nope. Traded it for the silver slab you see on the right of that photo.

Really, the 86 was a fantastic car. But it was killing my back and hips (in my 40s), killing me on insurance, not all that efficient, cop magnet, dangerous, impossible to see out of, and pretty much useless as a second car. We've got two kids that are going into Junior High and High School, and depending on the day of the week I was having to haul them around in it - not ideal. I thought about a WRX, but really I wanted something super cheap to run that I could eventually hand down to the kids when they needed it.

So, uh, who wants to know more about the 4th generation Prius?
**crickets**

I binged watched a bunch of this last night. Cool channel, love what they've done with the Evora. Channels like this remind me a bit of Wheeler Dealers, with but less of Mike types loud-mouthing around and more just down and dirty car repairs with smart people.

Pretty interesting that in the very early videos, he (Chris) talks about doing fiberglass repair to a bunch of different panels, but in the end ends up replacing basically all the body panels except the doors and hood. The fiberglass repair he did to the rear bulkhead and door appeared to be very good, though.

I fuckin LOVE Wheeler Dealers but only because of Edd. Mike is just such a used car salesman type of guy and I am just not a fan. But Edd China is a goddam god, I love watching him work.

Futaba

I have never heard of them before now but I just subscribed. I love channels like this! Anyone have any other good ones?

I follow:
Mighty Car Mods
Turbo Toms Garage
Bad Obsession Motorsports
Eric the Car Guy
Kevin Malli (not a huge fan these days though)

Hm, you got the good ones (Bad Obsessions GT4 engine in a Mini project is astoundingly fun to watch), other than that I guess ChrisFix?

Yeah, I think that's how most rebuild/restoration projects go, you initially plan to do certain jobs/tasks yourself then plans change for completely random reasons, a while back I helping a friend restore a super rare Vector W8 twin turbo, had planned to much of the fabrication ourselves but one day he randomly got a call from a guy who had the parts we were planning on fabricating for sale, just made more sense to go with OEM, likely the same for Chris here.

For me, when im rebuilding, even if im in the process of fixing a part, if an oem part in better / new condition pops up for the right price, I usually buy it and either just use the oem part, or keep it as a backup incase the repair doesnt pan out well (can always sell the part on for basically the same price if you don't use it).

I think part of why I like the B is for Build channel so much is because of how much he does that's just completely winging it, if it was all just buying replacement parts and bolting them on, with no fabrication, I doubt i'd be subscribed.

Fabrication is the key.

Really, the 86 was a fantastic car. But it was killing my back and hips (in my 40s), killing me on insurance, not all that efficient, cop magnet, dangerous, impossible to see out of, and pretty much useless as a second car. We've got two kids that are going into Junior High and High School, and depending on the day of the week I was having to haul them around in it - not ideal. I thought about a WRX, but really I wanted something super cheap to run that I could eventually hand down to the kids when they needed it.

**crickets**

Honestly, I don't really blame you, I love my 86, probably more than pretty much any other car I have owned / will own, (that's a LOT!), but I'll be the first to admit it has it's issues, to name a few: virtually impossible to get rid of absolutely every rattle, squash one and another randomly appears, OEM wind deflectors dump a tonne of water on you when getting in during rain, gearbox can be clunky and super sensitive to brand of transmission oil, lightweight clutch chatters under low rpm load and can sound like a jar of marbles rolling around, sharp corners love to gradually lose paint (behind rear tail lights, along the front bumper at the edges of the bumper to hood rubber seal, accelerator lag can get frustrating, especially when using the AC and the rpms bounce around while the ECU tries to retrain, oem brakes fade like crazy on a hot day with some spirited driving, crickets from the belts on 80+% of vehicles after a while of ownership, etc.

Hows are you finding the Prius so far?

Honestly, I don't really blame you, I love my 86, probably more than pretty much any other car I have owned / will own, (that's a LOT!), but I'll be the first to admit it has it's issues, to name a few: virtually impossible to get rid of absolutely every rattle, squash one and another randomly appears, OEM wind deflectors dump a tonne of water on you when getting in during rain, gearbox can be clunky and super sensitive to brand of transmission oil, lightweight clutch chatters under low rpm load and can sound like a jar of marbles rolling around, sharp corners love to gradually lose paint (behind rear tail lights, along the front bumper at the edges of the bumper to hood rubber seal, accelerator lag can get frustrating, especially when using the AC and the rpms bounce around while the ECU tries to retrain, oem brakes fade like crazy on a hot day with some spirited driving, crickets from the belts on 80+% of vehicles after a while of ownership, etc.

Had nearly all of these complaints, especially the crickets. More than anything the drivetrain is just not all that smooth overall.

Hows are you finding the Prius so far?

Only had it for an evening but put about 60 miles on it. Quiet. Slow, but not as slow as older Priuses I've driven. Fine from 0-35 mph but then it starts to lag. The "Drivetrain Mode" selector is just a throttle response mapper, but much appreciated (it will always give you both the ICE and electric motor if you mash the pedal in any mode). Seats are super comfortable. I'm now invisible to law enforcement.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I fuckin LOVE Wheeler Dealers but only because of Edd. Mike is just such a used car salesman type of guy and I am just not a fan. But Edd China is a goddam god, I love watching him work.

Same here.

Edd is a boss. It takes him and his helper months to fix one car, which you wouldn't know by watching a 40 minute episode, but basically every season Mike goes out and buys a bunch of cars in one shot. And for months Edd works on them filming major fixes done to each car. If they're waiting for parts for weeks, the car is stored away and he'll work on another.

e90Mark

While looking up grand sport , I took a look again at the z06 and it's numbers, engine, etc

my god

They can't possibly go higher in power for the next gen z06...and stay on rwd...can they?

Not to do with the drive train, but C8 is looking to be mid-engined.

mkenyon

Banned
Had nearly all of these complaints, especially the crickets. More than anything the drivetrain is just not all that smooth overall.

Only had it for an evening but put about 60 miles on it. Quiet. Slow, but not as slow as older Priuses I've driven. Fine from 0-35 mph but then it starts to lag. The "Drivetrain Mode" selector is just a throttle response mapper, but much appreciated (it will always give you both the ICE and electric motor if you mash the pedal in any mode). Seats are super comfortable. I'm now invisible to law enforcement.
Maybe, but if I see you on the road, I'll now assume you're a terrible driver. :p
WOW congrats! Nice pick up, man. I don't know how you are going to sleep knowing that sweet ride belongs to you but is still 12 hours away! Also, I watched the little startup video on BAT. That is a beautiful M5!
I went to bed thinking about it, woke up thinking about it, and every tab in chrome is related to E39 M5s.

i even looked at M5 stuff on my phone this morning during our first major ultrasound appointment at 23 weeks

SOON

No Love

Banned
wlS2yK1.png

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Congrats, welcome to the E39 M5 club. ;) Oh and I guess I'm to blame. Get ready to spend! ;) Already spent $3k+ on my M5 this year not to mention god knows how much in gas.

But the smiles per gallon is worth it. Promise.

Btw start studying M5board.com.

Ive put 10k miles on mine in 4 months and its been extremely reliable other than wear items like the guibo going out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Maybe, but if I see you on the road, I'll now assume you're a terrible driver. :p

I went to bed thinking about it, woke up thinking about it, and every tab in chrome is related to E39 M5s.

i even looked at M5 stuff on my phone this morning during our first major ultrasound appointment at 23 weeks

SOON

I love that initial excitement (TVs, Cars, electronics). I am still reading reviews of my car to make me feel better about the purchase. It's getting fantastic reviews but I thin it's underrated still.

Yours on the other hand is a known classic.

AlphaSnake

Anyone else have a new Mustang GT?

If this evo sale goes through I am highly debating buying one as my DD.

I test drove one in 6MT, loaded, it was weeks back during labor day (I was helping my friend shop for a truck...he ended up with a Tundra LOL). It was a pretty good car, the transmission was especially surprising. I liked it quite a bit. The Ford folks weren't happy we drove a 5.0GT and left without a F150. Hahaha. But the Tundra was a much better value in many ways, it was a no brainer.

Anyway, it's a good car.

mkenyon

Banned
I test drove one in 6MT, loaded, it was weeks back during labor day (I was helping my friend shop for a truck...he ended up with a Tundra LOL). It was a pretty good car, the transmission was especially surprising. I liked it quite a bit. The Ford folks weren't happy we drove a 5.0GT and left without a F150. Hahaha. But the Tundra was a much better value in many ways, it was a no brainer.

Anyway, it's a good car.
saywut?

I say this as someone who still has a Tundra (but am gonna sell it this weekend for M5 money). It's literally the worst 1/2 ton on the market. Awful driving dynamics, worst gas mileage, worst capability, teeny tank for towing.

The only thing it has going for it is long term reliability. Did he get some crazy deal?

AlphaSnake

saywut?

I say this as someone who still has a Tundra (but am gonna sell it this weekend for M5 money). It's literally the worst 1/2 ton on the market. Awful driving dynamics, worst gas mileage, worst capability, teeny tank for towing.

The only thing it has going for it is long term reliability. Did he get some crazy deal?

Yes. A comparable F150 was like 10K more and much more expensive to insure. The Tundra's base 4.6L is indestructible. Gas mileage is adequate 20MPG highway, but he doesn't plan on hauling trailers or anything like that. He just needed a decent sized bed (he's in construction). Also leg room on the half-cab is surprisingly large now, where even I sat comfortably in it. And the resale value on Tundras is unbeaten, apart from Tacomas. He had a Ram with a Hemi before, and it was worth jack shit.

He got the 2016 Tundra SR5 for 29.5K (about 5K off MSRP). An F150 with a 2.7L EcoBoost was already 42K and had no infotainment system, no center console, etc.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah that makes a bit of sense. Mine has only dropped 4k in value in about 3 years. Forgot about that upside.

Ram values are awful once you move away from Cummins.

Anyway, it's a good car.

Good to hear.

The camaro is just sooo ugly and seems to be about 5 grand more than the mustang.

AlphaSnake

Yeah that makes a bit of sense. Mine has only dropped 4k in value in about 3 years. Forgot about that upside.

Ram values are awful once you move away from Cummins.

Indeed. My other close friend bought a TEN year old 2006 with 100K miles on it. For 15K. Full cab too.

It was veeerry clean. Great shape. And it was right on the dot with what other Tundras cost. These cars are just incredible in how they hold up.

matmanx1

**crickets**

Sounds like you made the responsible move. Hopefully a few years down the road you will be able to get back to sports car land (or at least sport sedan?). Absolutely nothing wrong (and a lot right) with a Prius from the standpoint of a practical car to own and operate.

Indeed. My other close friend bought a TEN year old 2006 with 100K miles on it. For 15K. Full cab too.

It was veeerry clean. Great shape. And it was right on the dot with what other Tundras cost. These cars are just incredible in how they hold up.

I have pretty much the same drivetrain in my GX470. The mechanicals are built to last.

Also, this article made me fairly happy. Robb Holland (Pro driver) confirms Audi is bringing the TT RS with it's amazing 5 cylinder motor to the USA in early 2017. He gives impressions and talks a little bit about why he thinks it is a great car. http://jalopnik.com/the-fierce-400-hp-2018-audi-tt-rs-can-make-anyone-into-1786806589

No Love

Banned
Been waiting like 5 days for an admin to approve my account. Should I expect a NeoGAF-esque wait? :p

Nah. Should be pretty quick. Btw get two more OEM rear rims ASAP so you can run a nonstagger setup. I know a guy with 4 rears for sale for $1000 and I only need two of them so if you want the other two let me know. The M5 drives much better with a nonstagger setup, braking and turnin are much better,plus rotating tires helps them last a lot longer.

That being said, prepare to be obsessed. It is an unforgettable car.

mkenyon

Banned
Nah. Should be pretty quick. Btw get two more OEM rear rims ASAP so you can run a nonstagger setup. I know a guy with 4 rears for sale for $1000 and I only need two of them so if you want the other two let me know. The M5 drives much better with a nonstagger setup, braking and turnin are much better,plus rotating tires helps them last a lot longer.

That being said, prepare to be obsessed. It is an unforgettable car.
Gimmie like 2 weeks to let my wife recover from that funds transfer. :p

Other thing I'm thinking about is a wrap.

Battleship Grey

Seems fitting for such a sober (aesthetically) car.

Futaba

Gimmie like 2 weeks to let my wife recover from that funds transfer. :p

Other thing I'm thinking about is a wrap.

Battleship Grey

Seems fitting for such a sober (aesthetically) car.
ive always loved the semi-matte/matte battleship grey, especially when teamed with semi-matte/matte black wheels!

Just don't go the route of brightly colored red/pink/neon green wheels as some people do, completely ruins the feel!

4 Matic stuff is awful. CV boots go ALL OF THE TIME.

Yeah, drove a E350 4Matic today... I didn't even move the car yet, I just literally pulled the lever down to D and it jerked forward as if I let go of the clutch while also in gear.

On another note, are there any reliable RWD sedans? Or RWD sedans where it won't cost you and arm and your left testicle for maintenance?

Dang, you did go ahead with it... it's totally understandable though.

We all have to give up something to get something better, is what I say when I have to do shit I don't want but I know it's gonna be good in the long run lol.

Was your 86 on stock suspension? It's been a while since I've driven an 86 but IIRC they were somewhat comfortable... at least more comfortable than my Miata.

Comfort is the most important thing for me right now and the foreseeable future. I love driving a aggressive suspension setup, but I can't do it anymore as a daily driver. I want to be cradled by Jesus' lap when I'm driving.

Evo X

Anyone watching Motor Trend's Driver's Car of the Year videos?

Some good POV track footage.

Mustang 350R and Camaro SS 1LE strong showings for America even though they are the least expensive cars there.

M4 GTS lap time was disappointing. Only 2 seconds faster than the standard street car, even though it's been stripped out with new suspension, wheels & tires, nearly 500HP, and $140K sticker.

matmanx1

Yeah, drove a E350 4Matic today... I didn't even move the car yet, I just literally pulled the lever down to D and it jerked forward as if I let go of the clutch while also in gear.

On another note, are there any reliable RWD sedans? Or RWD sedans where it won't cost you and arm and your left testicle for maintenance?

Dang, you did go ahead with it... it's totally understandable though.

We all have to give up something to get something better, is what I say when I have to do shit I don't want but I know it's gonna be good in the long run lol.

Was your 86 on stock suspension? It's been a while since I've driven an 86 but IIRC they were somewhat comfortable... at least more comfortable than my Miata.

Comfort is the most important thing for me right now and the foreseeable future. I love driving a aggressive suspension setup, but I can't do it anymore as a daily driver. I want to be cradled by Jesus' lap when I'm driving.

Reliable RWD sedan? G37! and to a lesser sporty extent, IS250 / IS350. The Infiniti drives and sounds better but I prefer the comfort level and interior on the Lexus. I've owned a G37 coupe and an IS250 sedan and I liked them both but neither were as good as my MX-5 / GX470 combo.

I don't think I will ever be able to go back to just one car with the expectation that it will be able to do everything I want it to do. I really enjoy the MX-5's size, weight and playfulness but sometimes you want and need a quiet, roomy place to cruise and that is what the GX is for.

What's the point of doing this then selling it after?

Even more surprising is that it was a 3 year lease by the 1st and only owner.

Is this something rich people do that I don't know about? Lol.

Reliable RWD sedan? G37! and to a lesser sporty extent, IS250 / IS350. The Infiniti drives and sounds better but I prefer the comfort level and interior on the Lexus. I've owned a G37 coupe and an IS250 sedan and I liked them both but neither were as good as my MX-5 / GX470 combo.

I don't think I will ever be able to go back to just one car with the expectation that it will be able to do everything I want it to do. I really enjoy the MX-5's size, weight and playfulness but sometimes you want and need a quiet, roomy place to cruise and that is what the GX is for.

If I could find a G37 or IS250 with a stick, I'd actually trade in my Miata for one. But if they're all autos, I'd probably pass on it tbh. I want a replacement for my Miata but only if it's a stick shift RWD sedan. I honestly would rather get an FWD/AWD with a stick than go with a auto RWD sedan then sell my Miata, that's suicide imo haha.

Like I want to buy an Acura TSX/TL/whatever or a GTI since I know they'd be comfy as FWD daily drivers but if I was gonna do that, I also want to keep my Miata. Realistically though, I don't think I can do that... but I haven't done maths yet so I might even be wrong here but I think it's a safe assumption.

I dunno, I spent a few hours at work just trying to figure this stuff out and I still haven't lol.

AlphaSnake

What's the point of doing this then selling it after?

Even more surprising is that it was a 3 year lease by the 1st and only owner.

Is this something rich people do that I don't know about? Lol.

If I could find a G37 or IS250 with a stick, I'd actually trade in my Miata for one. But if they're all autos, I'd probably pass on it tbh. I want a replacement for my Miata but only if it's a stick shift RWD sedan. I honestly would rather get an FWD/AWD with a stick than go with a auto RWD sedan then sell my Miata, that's suicide imo haha.

Like I want to buy an Acura TSX/TL/whatever or a GTI since I know they'd be comfy as FWD daily drivers but if I was gonna do that, I also want to keep my Miata. Realistically though, I don't think I can do that... but I haven't done maths yet so I might even be wrong here but I think it's a safe assumption.

I dunno, I spent a few hours at work just trying to figure this stuff out and I still haven't lol.

Designo interiors on the C-class were like a $5000 extra. No idea why the fuck anyone would opt for one in a fucking C-class...especially the old ones. It's possible the dealer ordered the car like that, though.

Also, we had someone else ask about those C-classes. They're garbage. No legroom whatsoever. The back has less legroom than most coupes. Just awful. I could never sit in my friend's C300.

Designo interiors on the C-class were like a $5000 extra. No idea why the fuck anyone would opt for one in a fucking C-class...especially the old ones. It's possible the dealer ordered the car like that, though.

Also, we had someone else ask about those C-classes. They're garbage. No legroom whatsoever. The back has less legroom than most coupes. Just awful. I could never sit in my friend's C300.

It's actually an SL550 lol.

Here's a edited and uncropped pic that removes the map screen and my distinguishable shorts lol.

Thanks for the heads up about the C-Class. I sat in one today and it felt nice inside... but that's about all I can say about it. I've read up on it too and it seems too much like an entry level car, the kind of entry level where you buy for the badge instead of the a real characteristic of a car.

AlphaSnake

It's actually an SL550 lol.

Here's a edited and uncropped pic that removes the map screen and my distinguishable shorts lol.

Thanks for the heads up about the C-Class. I sat in one today and it felt nice inside... but that's about all I can say about it. I've read up on it too and it seems too much like an entry level car, the kind of entry level where you buy for the badge instead of the a real characteristic of a car.

The fact that an SL550 has the interior of an old C-Class is pretty fucking embarrassing. Today or even 4 years ago. Yikes. I didn't realize they were THAT similar.

First an 86, now an Evo... 2016 sucks.

The fact that an SL550 has the interior of an old C-Class is pretty fucking embarrassing. Today or even 4 years ago. Yikes. I didn't realize they were THAT similar.

Lmao, that is embarrassing.

I kinda like it though, it's like a grown up version of a Miata... a Miata in a three-piece Armani suit.

And yes I know most people say the Cayman or 911 is the true grown-up Miata and I do agree too but the way I see it, the Porsches are like the rich billionaires who walk around town with an old t-shirt, pair of ripped jeans and flip flops(aka Mark Cuban lol).

My friend caught some Ford GT test mules in the Colorado mountains. This car is really growing on me. Looks like a prototype military vehicle like the Tumbler Batmobile.

Are these the same Ford GT's?

Ford GT Test Drivers Caught Going 101 MPH In A 50 MPH Zone: Police

Top Bottom