• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Like alphasnake said, check your state's lemon law and see if Chrysler will honor a lemon buyback. You will be far better off than trading or selling it since you'd take the depreciation hit.

Cute but we will see how it does head to head in laptimes.

I was thinking they'd post a ring time or something measurable.

There's already been a sport auto ring time as well as a few other comparos with lap times out there. BMW never releases factory ring times iirc, except to say it's xx seconds faster than the last gen.

Smokey

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS

audi_rs5_01.jpg

Wife and I on a whim decided to stop by Audi today. Never really looked into them. Dealership was super helpful. Decided to look into the RS5. Got a test drive and everything. Dat engine. Dat V8. The handling. The feel.

It started up and I was like ;_;

I need to get into a M4 for a drive. Because this right here...was nice.

Now I need Alpha to come in here with some real talk on this for me

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS

audi_rs5_01.jpg

Wife and I on a whim decided to stop by Audi today. Never really looked into them. Dealership was super helpful. Decided to look into the RS5. Got a test drive and everything. Dat engine. Dat V8. The handling. The feel.

It started up and I was like ;_;

I need to get into a M4 for a drive. Because this right here...was nice.

Now I need Alpha to come in here with some real talk on this for me

Hai.

Yes. Great car, but will likely have awful reliability. Interior is dated as fuck (it's from 2004, when the Audi A6 first got it as a MY05 car). I love this motor, but the M4 will absolutely crush it. It'll also handle better than the Audi. If you have no need for an AWD car (and I know you don't), there isn't much point to this car anymore. I preferred it to the E92 M3 a few years ago, but the new M4 is simply way too powerful with a better interior and more refined dynamics than the Audi.

I do highly recommend you try to test drive an M235i, though. It's a true and proper BMW. I had the delight to drive one this past weekend, and I was in love.

Smokey

Hai.

Yes. Great car, but will likely have awful reliability. Interior is dated as fuck (it's from 2004, when the Audi A6 first got it as a MY05 car). I love this motor, but the M4 will absolutely crush it. It'll also handle better than the Audi. If you have no need for an AWD car (and I know you don't), there isn't much point to this car anymore. I preferred it to the E92 M3 a few years ago, but the new M4 is simply way too powerful with a better interior and more refined dynamics than the Audi.

I do highly recommend you try to test drive an M235i, though. It's a true and proper BMW. I had the delight to drive one this past weekend, and I was in love.

mmhmm exactly my thoughts. the car has been around for awhile, I just finally got around to test driving it. Agree with pretty much everything you said which is why I need to get into a M4 asap to mess around with it. I really liked this though. Maybe it's the engine that I loved. V8 hnngg

Do they plan to release a next gen version of the RS5 or will it go the way of the RS4?

Viperbah

Thanks, yeah I've been wanting to do a 70-73 F-body as well. At first I was just going to fix the floorpans and get the car on the road, but then I took the rear end apart and decided to fix the rust back there as well, and then I thought - well if I'm going that far I might as well paint it while it's stripped down. Then I'd just need to do the interior to make it complete, lol. Anyway I don't have the budget for that at the moment so I think I'm just going to hold off for a while.

Nice, yeah parts are not so crazy expensive for those cars yet. It looks like the frame is new? or at least in good condition.

I don't have much experience working with 70's & below or carburated motors...I really want to try a project but I am afraid I will just end up restomoding it.

AlphaSnake

mmhmm exactly my thoughts. the car has been around for awhile, I just finally got around to test driving it. Agree with pretty much everything you said which is why I need to get into a M4 asap to mess around with it. I really liked this though. Maybe it's the engine that I loved. V8 hnngg

Do they plan to release a next gen version of the RS5 or will it go the way of the RS4?

There will be a new RS5 and RS4 for sure. The RS6 and RS7 have been a pretty big success for Audi. It will end up being the twin-turbo V8 out of the A8, S6, and S7 making about 450HP. I don't see them using their supercharged 3.0L for this.

kharma45

Hai.

Yeah the interior on the A5 is terribly dated now, and the MMI system in it was poor at launch never mind now. We had one out as a courtesy car whilst our A6 was in getting serviced and whilst it still looks great from the outside and the V6 diesel went like stink, the interior doesn't befit a car of it's price tag now.

Holy shit GM, stahp. There was a hold put on the ignition switches which were sent out to replace the original faulty ignition switches.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-recalls-defective-kits-containing-replacement-ignition-switches.html

In other news,

1) BMW's no-cost maintenance is not going to be transferable anymore.

2) BMW's CPO certification can be transferred to a private buyer for $200 but cannot be transferred to a non BMW dealer. i.e., if you trade it in at Carmax or some other non-BMW dealer, certification is invalid.

Malvingt2

Holy shit GM, stahp. There was a hold put on the ignition switches which were sent out to replace the original faulty ignition switches.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-recalls-defective-kits-containing-replacement-ignition-switches.html

In other news,

1) BMW's no-cost maintenance is not going to be transferable anymore.

2) BMW's CPO certification can be transferred to a private buyer for $200 but cannot be transferred to a non BMW dealer. i.e., if you trade it in at Carmax or some other non-BMW dealer, certification is invalid.

wait... are they recalling a recall? o_O

Bandit1

Nice, yeah parts are not so crazy expensive for those cars yet. It looks like the frame is new? or at least in good condition.

I don't have much experience working with 70's & below or carburated motors...I really want to try a project but I am afraid I will just end up restomoding it.

The subframe is original, but somebody has painted it. I'm actually thinking about going the restomod route myself since the car won't be matching numbers anyway. I'd like to put Hotchkis springs and sway bars and subframe connectors on it and a set of YearOne's 17x9 Pontiac Rally wheels but I actually just made a deal on a '79 Trans Am today so I don't know what I'm gonna do haha

Smokey

been seeing a lot of 911 turbo s' around lately. fucking gorgeous cars. forgot how much they cost off top of my head, so i went to look it up

ay yo 180k? Probably 200k after options

wut

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
There will be a new RS5 and RS4 for sure. The RS6 and RS7 have been a pretty big success for Audi. It will end up being the twin-turbo V8 out of the A8, S6, and S7 making about 450HP. I don't see them using their supercharged 3.0L for this.

A4/A5 chassis with the 4.0L TT

giphy.gif

been seeing a lot of 911 turbo s' around lately. fucking gorgeous cars. forgot how much they cost so i went to look it up

wut

Crazy expensive, but oh, oh so pretty.

edit: Top Gear with misleading titles.
link

J-Rzez

Well, ordered a 2015 WRX premium, yes, WRX not STI now. 4 reports of ringland issues in the 2015 STI thus far from forums means not dealing with that shit. I plan on keeping this car until I'm done with school, or paying it off and getting a full on weekend toy then. Maybe then the STI will have a new respectable motor in it by then too, because the chassis seems to be fantastic now. Though 30+ mpg on the highway is what people are reporting will be nice as I'm driving to my clinicals and such.

Oh well, 3-4 months estimated delivery time. Should know after 30 days exact delivery date.

First new car I bought in 10 years, lol. So long Evo VIII, you have served me well. :(

been seeing a lot of 911 turbo s' around lately. fucking gorgeous cars. forgot how much they cost off top of my head, so i went to look it up

wut

Infinite greatness doesn't come cheap.

Well, ordered a 2015 WRX premium, yes, WRX not STI now. 4 reports of ringland issues in the 2015 STI thus far from forums means not dealing with that shit. I plan on keeping this car until I'm done with school, or paying it off and getting a full on weekend toy then. Maybe then the STI will have a new respectable motor in it by then too, because the chassis seems to be fantastic now. Though 30+ mpg on the highway is what people are reporting will be nice as I'm driving to my clinicals and such.

Oh well, 3-4 months estimated delivery time. Should know after 30 days exact delivery date.

First new car I bought in 10 years, lol. So long Evo VIII, you have served me well. :(

Congrats! It still blows my mind that they didn't update the engine in the STi first.

GHG

If you're hooked a v8 why don't you look at the bmw 650i coupe?

You won't have to compromise on the quality/finishing of the interior either.

I can testify to the engine being fecking fantastic as well as it's the same one that's in my x6. Endless power due to the turbos. Put your foot down from literally speed and it flies. If you want it to be a smooth cruiser you can do that as well if you go easy with your right foot. I personally think it's the best engine available if you're looking at German cars and I test drove pretty much every v6/8 out there across the audi/bmw/Porsche range. It's an outrageous engine and the exhaust note is so so good. It's addictive. The audi v8 will get better 0-60 times off the line but in real world driving situations this engine trumps 90% of things out there. If you don't mind someone else covering the depreciation for you, you should be able to get one that's about a year old within budget if you're looking at the rs5.

Oh and you can inexpensively get 460bhp and 700+ nm out of the engine with a chip tune from pp performance if that's your thing.

Posted a pic on the page prior. Not in town and only with an ipad. But here are a few more.

Congrats man, that is one sexy beast.

wut

Yeah pricing on new 911s really is crazy. The turbos are a whole 'nother level, but they're superb vehicles, supercar and GT luxobarge all in one.

AlphaSnake

I can testify to the engine being fecking fantastic as well as it's the same one that's in my x6. Endless power due to the turbos. Put your foot down from literally speed and it flies. If you want it to be a smooth cruiser you can do that as well if you go easy with your right foot. I personally think it's the best engine available if you're looking at German cars and I test drove pretty much every v6/8 out there across the audi/bmw/Porsche range. It's an outrageous engine and the exhaust note is so so good. It's addictive. The audi v8 will get better 0-60 times off the line but in real world driving situations this engine trumps 90% of things out there. If you don't mind someone else covering the depreciation for you, you should be able to get one that's about a year old within budget if you're looking at the rs5.

Oh and you can inexpensively get 460bhp and 700+ nm out of the engine with a chip tune from pp performance if that's your thing.

BMW 650s are extremely overpriced and you don't want a used one. They're like close to 85K new. It's insane.

I'd rather look at the CLS550, same power, beautiful, and only $72K.

The bad days of tracking a car...
My first Private trackday with unlimited running
18 laps later, a small gasket gives out dumping my coolant in the pits and I have to limp it home....

Still, managed to get within 1.4 seconds of class record which is held by a c5 z06 in race trim and hoosier A6's.

Ignore the speeds as the gps in the iPhone isn't fast at refreshing to be accurate. My first time running the "bypass config." With limited running still leaving about .5 seconds in that corner alone (T5).

Enjoy:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vnRLBbzCjrE

J-Rzez

Congrats! It still blows my mind that they didn't update the engine in the STi first.

Thanks.

Yeah I couldn't believe that as well when I read that. I thought for sure it was a misprint or joke when I saw that months ago. Then I read the ringlands going on people's 2015's and said "nope". They probably had them laying around and decided to just use them up or something since they're a small car company. Who knows.

They do need to address that motor though as it's ancient, outdated, and 300hp/290ft is nothing these days, and inefficient. They need to put a version of the FA20DIT in there that's putting out 330-350hp stock at least.

That said, I'm sure they'll do just that due to the media and faithful jumping on them. They'll bring back the wagon as well. Last gen subaru decided to change the motor in the WRX out of the blue, to make every WRX a widebody, and then bring back the Sedan STI. So yeah, I expect in two years to see a new motor in the STI and/or the wagon back.

Oh well, time to start looking for some parts for my new WRX. Probably going to do a Tomei/Invidia catback, whiteline sway bars, strut tower bar, and rally armor flaps off the bat. Then do some research on some snow tires. The Blizzak's I have from the Evo will fit the WRX actually, but they're pretty worn out unfortunately. Unless the factory sport maxxs will do for one winter.

The Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat can do an 11.2 second quarter mile at 125 MPH, stock.

Put on some drag radials, and the time drops to 10.8 seconds at 126 MPH.

I said damn.

http://jalopnik.com/the-707-hp-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-is-a-10-second-1603567665

Probably should add this part too before the haters come out:

Let's put that into context. The Ford Shelby GT500 did the quarter in 11.6 seconds; the Camaro ZL1 did it in 12.1; and even Dodge's own SRT Viper, a more dedicated sports car with a much larger engine, did it in 11.7 seconds.

Smokey

I like the 6 series and if I were to get one it would be a 650i. But every time I think about it :

AlphaSnake said:
BMW 650s are extremely overpriced and you don't want a used one. They're like close to 85K new. It's insane.

crosses my mind and then I immediately go back to a decked out M4 for that price. Or a decked out Stingray.

The Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat can do an 11.2 second quarter mile at 125 MPH, stock.

I said damn.

http://jalopnik.com/the-707-hp-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-is-a-10-second-1603567665

Fun fact:

I went to a Dodge dealership yesterday with a buddy who is shopping around for a new truck. Asked about the Hellcat. The front desk lady said "what". I repeated myself. She still looked confused. She radioed somebody to the front I explained that I wanted some info on the Hellcat. He immediately stops and says I don't know anything about that. Front desk lady says "ok, let me get somebody to help you". In the meantime she asks me what the Hellcat is and what's so good about it.

The whole time I'm like....yall serious right now?

ascii42

WTF.

Infiniti's president abruptly left the company and was poached by Cadillac to be their president. He was only with Infiniti for 2 freaking years. I wonder if he didn't like the idea of Nissan moving Infiniti's HQ over to Hong Kong. I sure as hell would be pissed.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/11/cadillac-snags-de-nysschen-from-infiniti-new-president/

It'll be interesting to see how that turns out. Cadillac is in a decent position with the ATS and CTS, but they really need a proper flagship sedan. They haven't really had one since the '96 Fleetwood. I guess the Escalade has largely replaced it for them, but they've got to have something that'll compete with the S-Class.

Smokey

It'll be interesting to see how that turns out. Cadillac is in a decent position with the ATS and CTS, but they really need a proper flagship sedan. They haven't really had one since the '96 Fleetwood. I guess the Escalade has largely replaced it for them, but they've got to have something that'll compete with the S-Class.

What is the point of the XTS

ascii42

What is the point of the XTS

The way I see it, it's basically a stop-gap, something to offer to DTS customers. I will say it is a nice car in Platinum trim though (the Cadillac of stop-gaps?), and I'd like to try out the V-Sport. Supposedly GM's got a RWD platform called Omega that the flagship will ride on. I would guess that's what the Ciel and Elmiraj concepts are built on.

I said damn.

Yum.

The way I see it, it's basically a stop-gap, something to offer to DTS customers. I will say it is a nice car in Platinum trim though (the Cadillac of stop-gaps?), and I'd like to try out the V-Sport. Supposedly GM's got a RWD platform called Omega that the flagship will ride on. I would guess that's what the Ciel and Elmiraj concepts are built on.

Yum.

I'm just curious as to why JDN left. Apparently the "Q" rebranding was Ghosn's idea, and JDN wasn't happy with that. <-- Wrong about that. The Eau Rouge was apparently all JDN's idea, so that might be dead now.

People (the press) have bemoaned Infiniti for losing that "Japanese BMW" feeling with all this hybridization and electric tinkering, and it just makes me wonder what, if anything JDN actually influenced in his short time there.

He also called the Volt a car for idiots, so I hope he enjoys meeting those engineers in the coming months. It's very bizarre.

Caddy needs to start sourcing transmissions from ZF, for one. They need to overhaul the SRX to make it a viable competitor to the X3s and Q5s of the world, and yeah, they desperately need a flagship sedan that screams America at the top of its lungs while still looking like a designer suit. *Hint hint, build the fucking Elmiraj*

GHG

I like the 6 series and if I were to get one it would be a 650i. But every time I think about it :

crosses my mind and then I immediately go back to a decked out M4 for that price. Or a decked out Stingray.

Ok yes they are "overpriced" but that engine... And the whole reason you want a used one (certified used with bmw warranty of course) is so that they are not so crazy overpriced anymore. Seriously, go test drive one if you haven't already.

What about the Merc C63 coupe? I'm out of ideas apart from that. You'll end up settling for a v6 at this point unless you go for something American.

AlphaSnake

Ok yes they are "overpriced" but that engine... And the whole reason you want a used one (certified used with bmw warranty of course) is so that they are not so crazy overpriced anymore. Seriously, go test drive one if you haven't already.

What about the Merc C63 coupe? I'm out of ideas apart from that. You'll end up settling for a v6 at this point unless you go for something American.

My brother has a 2013 M6...and it's not that great of a car. It's fast, but even the M's motor does nothing for me. I wouldn't encourage anyone to shop for a 650. They're soulless cars.

The C63 AMG is a crazy machine, on the other hand. Vastly different than a 6-series. It's interior is outdated though, with some pretty ugly navi graphics.

My brother has a 2013 M6...and it's not that great of a car. It's fast, but even the M's motor does nothing for me. I wouldn't encourage anyone to shop for a 650. They're soulless cars.

The C63 AMG is a crazy machine, on the other hand. Vastly different than a 6-series. It's interior is outdated though, with some pretty ugly navi graphics.

What about the earlier M6 with the V10, ever driven one? For a while I was considering a few '07/'08 models but had a change of heart. The noise that motor makes, though, hot damn.

Momentary

Banned
With GM making all these recalls it's really making the 2015 z06 almost look less appealing. It's making me wonder how they are going meet the c6 z06 price point without cutting corners. I haven't heard c7 complaints yet though. I hope that the z07 trim still keeps the price well below a used black edition GT-R. I hear that it should be around 85 or 86000. Which makes it an insane bargain considering everything it brings to the table. Moreso than the 2012 GT-R my wife and I looked at last weekend and that car is 90000 and used. 650hp vs 545 hp with more tech and options.

The wait list over in Wilmington is going to make it impossible to pick one up this year. Plus they will probably sell it at a premium. Never thought I would be trying so hard to get my derriere in a Corvette. I hate the c1, 4, 5, and 6 with the intensity of the suns. My wife hates them all except the z07 trimmed z06.

Really wish the configurator for this thing would get released.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
With GM making all these recalls it's really making the 2015 z06 almost look less appealing. It's making me wonder how they are going meet the c6 z06 price point without cutting corners. I haven't heard c7 complaints yet though. I hope that the z07 trim still keeps the price well below a used black edition GT-R. I hear that it should be around 85 or 86000. Which makes it an insane bargain considering everything it brings to the table. Moreso than the 2012 GT-R my wife and I looked at last weekend and that car is 90000 and used. 650hp vs 545 hp with more tech and options.

The wait list over in Wilmington is going to make it impossible to pick one up this year. Plus they will probably sell it at a premium. Never thought I would be trying so hard to get my derriere in a Corvette. I hate the c1, 4, 5, and 6 with the intensity of the suns. My wife hates them all except the z07 trimmed z06.

GM is recalling all of this shit now as a response to the ignition issue. I doubt the Z will have any issues when released.

The z07 trim is likely above 100k. The c6 z07 trim ended up right around there also and this one will he faster and even more track oriented.

I'd set my expectations accordingly.

Momentary

Banned
The z07 trim is likely above 100k. The c6 z07 trim ended up right around there also and this one will he faster and even more track oriented.

I'd set my expectations accordingly.

Yeah. I just did some research on the older carbon z07. I think the price hike comes from the carbon ceramic brakes. They usually add 10,000-15,000 to the price of a car.

I'm still going to hope for the best. It seems like Chevrolet is trying to keep this car below 100,000 no matter what. No matter. What other stock car produces this much power and offers this much tech thats priced like this? It's still a good deal.

Yeah. I just did some research on the older carbon z07. I think the price hike comes from the carbon ceramic brakes. They usually add 10,000-15,000 to the price of a car.

I'm still going to hope for the best. It seems like Chevrolet is trying to keep this car below 100,000 no matter what. No matter. What other stock car produces this much power and offers this much tech thats priced like this? It's still a good deal.

The Z07 will be a six digit car. Maybe the stripper version of it will start at $99,995, but delivery alone will bump it up.

Not to mention the idiotic mark-up the stealerships will slap on it.

AlphaSnake

What about the earlier M6 with the V10, ever driven one? For a while I was considering a few '07/'08 models but had a change of heart. The noise that motor makes, though, hot damn.

Yes. My brother had a 2006 before his 2013.

I preferred the old M6 to the new one, frankly. It is piss poor on fuel efficiency (less than 20MPG highway) but it was a much more involved, soul heavy, and enjoyable car. Get it with the 6MT and it's heavenly. The SMG is fucking awful.

Smokey

Would love to try a C63..however in the past when I've went to look at them the Mercedes dealer will not let me test drive one. Something something AMG low mileage something. Well I'm not going to buy a 70k+ car blind without test driving it so fuck off.

I'm being pushed to get something though from the wife. My CPO runs out next month, but I still have some months left on my note. May just have to take a bath on it and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Not trying to have a BMW out of warranty.

The Z07 will be a six digit car. Maybe the stripper version of it will start at $99,995, but delivery alone will bump it up.

Not to mention the idiotic mark-up the stealerships will slap on it.

If you're smart, you goto corvetteforum, find a sponsoring dealer who will sell at MSRP and put your name down.

Top Bottom