• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Hesemonni

Banned
20160923_143944tzufm.jpg
If only the rear were as good looking as the rest of the car, which looks stunning in these pictures :/

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

From the shapes and lines, I can see that the headlights and tail lights will be similar to those of the Toyota FT-1 Concept car. Obviously the bodywork will be toned way, way down. But the other tidbit will be borrowed.

This running prototype here is using generic headlights just to get it on the road, clearly.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
From the shapes and lines, I can see that the headlights and tail lights will be similar to those of the Toyota FT-1 Concept car. Obviously the bodywork will be toned way, way down. But the other tidbit will be borrowed.

This running prototype here is using generic headlights just to get it on the road, clearly.

It fits more into the Lexus brand as an evolution of the FT-1 concept. It would also give Lexus a legitimate chance at having a halo car now that the LFA is dead and buried.

AlphaSnake

It fits more into the Lexus brand as an evolution of the FT-1 concept. It would also give Lexus a legitimate chance at having a halo car now that the LFA is dead and buried.

Lexus is setting the LC to be the halo car, though. All "FT" cars are "Future Toyotas". I think "LF" is what Lexus calls their concepts.

No dammit Toyota needs a halo car too, and one that is closer to the Corvette price range than the LFA.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Lexus is setting the LC to be the halo car, though. All "FT" cars are "Future Toyotas". I think "LF" is what Lexus calls their concepts.

Ah, oops. I keep forgetting the LC is a production car, which is embarrassing because I really like the design.

No dammit Toyota needs a halo car too, and one that is closer to the Corvette price range than the LFA.

Not a difficult bar to beat, the LFA, as much as I like it, was too overpriced for what it was. But, ~$55k would be a nice price point for the new Supra.

I get nothing but compliments about my Camaro so you guys can go suck some lemons.

It is a nice car. But people gave you a hard time over the Camaro because you optioned yours to ~$60-65k CAD. That is the same price bracket of a Corvette.

Evo X

Hey jong, my friend just sold his old Miata for this 2008 Cayman S. Looks just like something you would be interested in. Super clean one owner with only 20K miles on it. 6 speed manual of course. He paid $30k and is incredibly happy with it. Don't think you can get a better sports car for the money. It was in such good shape. These pictures are actually before any sort of detailing.

20160926_162340_1474985uwl.png

20160926_162410_14749bruyq.png

mkenyon

Banned
Just 20 minutes behind the wheel of the M5. Oh man.

I can't wait to take it through the mountains tomorrow. Going through Yellowstone to Idaho Falls.

No Love

Banned

I can't wait to take it through the mountains tomorrow. Going through Yellowstone to Idaho Falls.

Savor it. Because it only gets better. But yeah those first few drives are mindblowing. BMW will never be as good again.

So much to reply to and I've only been out for a day lol. I'll be skipping the quotes to save space so here we go...

Caddy ATS:

Thanks for the info. It really does help hearing from owners instead of people with a certain set of expectations in mind.

As for my own expectations for it, I just want it to be comfortable with a dash of fun sprinkled in it. I'd love it if it can stick to corners at even half of my Miata's capabilities, the engine doesn't need to be loud and racey, though it would be awesome if you could hear the blow-off valve lol.

As mentioned before, this is already at the top of my list(with the G37 at 2nd place), but I'll only get to it if I can't afford a two-car combo. But more on that later.

Porsche-GAF:

Yeah, I've seen a couple of examples for under $30K but tbh it's a little difficult to convince myself to get one because what I'm really looking for is a practical car. I don't need yuuuge trunk space since I only carry a small bag for my camera equipment but it's kind of a pain in the ass to sort out transportation for when I want to buy stuff.

For example, I did an unexpected Costco run this weekend so naturally I had my Miata with me. All it took was 2 cases of bottled water to fill up most of the my trunk, had to get an Uber for my friend so we could transport our paper towels since it was raining pretty bad and there was no chance in hell I was gonna drop the top(which is what we usually do when this stuff happens).

That said though, if I can find one especially an example with the IMS fixed, I'll probably do a test drive just to check it out.

Two-car option:

As for this option, I'm looking at FWD cars under $15K. The car at the top of the list is actually a Jeep Renegade with a stick, I've seen some for about $17K and that's the most I'd pay for FWD. Naturally, the Skyactiv Mazda3 is second on the list with a Civic Si trailing at a really close third.

The issue with this is of course insurance. I'm currently paying about $100 a month for my Miata, and from the estimates I've seen online, I'd be at around $250 if I get something else to pair with my Miata. It's doable, but considering how I'd probably drive my Miata twice a week in this situation, it may not be worth it in the long run.

But of course, I've only done preliminary research on this and since I'm not really planning to get the car until November at the earliest, I've got loads of time to do my research. I will though start doing test drives in October so we'll see where this goes.

Anyway, I'm done for now lol. I'll pick up this car buying talk at the end of October haha.

Finally, the Miata event... yeah it was fun albeit super wet lol. I think that was the most concentration of Miata's I've ever seen in my entire life actually. Our runs usually have only about 8 so to see about 20 of them at the parking lot was kinda like heaven haha.

mkenyon

Banned
When you have two cars, and the second one is super low miles per year, the rates are not very much at all.

I think I was paying about $35/month for my Tundra @ 4K miles per year. Just replaced it with the M5 and the increase was only $11.

Insurance is through USAA. I'm also 33 with no tickets or accidents on my record.

Evo X

Porsche-GAF:

Yeah, I've seen a couple of examples for under $30K but tbh it's a little difficult to convince myself to get one because what I'm really looking for is a practical car. I don't need yuuuge trunk space since I only carry a small bag for my camera equipment but it's kind of a pain in the ass to sort out transportation for when I want to buy stuff.

For example, I did an unexpected Costco run this weekend so naturally I had my Miata with me. All it took was 2 cases of bottled water to fill up most of the my trunk, had to get an Uber for my friend so we could transport our paper towels since it was raining pretty bad and there was no chance in hell I was gonna drop the top(which is what we usually do when this stuff happens).

That said though, if I can find one especially an example with the IMS fixed, I'll probably do a test drive just to check it out.

Bro, you want to talk about practicality, I moved across the country with a ton of shit in my Cayman GTS. It's got 2 trunks with plenty of space. Go check one out in person. You will be surprised.

Here's the pics to jog your memory.

8TILbe5.jpg

XfBqy3T.jpg

iI6oEbI.jpg

c9aicWf.jpg

Evo X

Porsche-GAF:

Bro, you want to talk about practicality, I moved across the country with a ton of shit in my Cayman GTS. It's got 2 trunks with plenty of space. Go check one out in person. You will be surprised.

Here's the pics to jog your memory. Everything in the last pic except those laundry hampers came out of the car.

8TILbe5.jpg

XfBqy3T.jpg

iI6oEbI.jpg

c9aicWf.jpg

matmanx1

Hey jong, my friend just sold his old Miata for this 2008 Cayman S. Looks just like something you would be interested in. Super clean one owner with only 20K miles on it. 6 speed manual of course. He paid $30k and is incredibly happy with it. Don't think you can get a better sports car for the money. It was in such good shape. These pictures are actually before any sort of detailing.

20160926_162340_1474985uwl.png

20160926_162410_14749bruyq.png

Yeah the Cayman would get my vote for best sports car value at around $30k Those 987 Cayman's are just fantastic. I still think that body style looks great and they have a surprisingly good amount of storage space. I also think the gas mileage is decent. I remember averaging about 24 - 25 in my 987 Boxster back and forth to work and I don't have a light foot by any means.

Giggity! I hope you are going to take some pictures where possible. Congrats again!

AlphaSnake

GTR Nismo up in price by another $10K. Uhhh...holy shit. It's 180K now. Who the hell is buying these? They must be rare as fuck, at this point.

AlphaSnake

Both Honda and Nissan has cars that's near 200k....that's cray...

True, but at least Honda had the sense to label theirs an Acura.

What I just thought of was that perhaps Nissan is selling 1/2 or 1/3 the GTRs they actually wanted to sell, thus they hiked the prices way up to catch up to the 10 fucking years of research and development (and marketing) this car had.

Evo X

Doug Demuro posted his GT4 review. Says it is one of the best cars he has driven in his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtWoGwge1o0

http://www.autotrader.com/car-video...s-one-of-the-best-cars-ive-ever-driven-257301

True, but at least Honda had the sense to label theirs an Acura.

What I just thought of was that perhaps Nissan is selling 1/2 or 1/3 the GTRs they actually wanted to sell, thus they hiked the prices way up to catch up to the 10 fucking years of research and development (and marketing) this car had.

If they weren't selling gangbusters at the lower price, I am sure they are gonna sell way more now at the higher one. lol

Rengoku

I watched Motortrends 911R review and Doug's GT4 review back to back and I realized something. I'm grateful that both cars exist. It shows Porsche theres still a market for a high performance sports car with a manual gearbox. I can't wait to see the new GT3 with stick. It will be glorious.

AlphaSnake

Doug Demuro posted his GT4 review. Says it is one of the best cars he has driven in his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtWoGwge1o0

http://www.autotrader.com/car-video...s-one-of-the-best-cars-ive-ever-driven-257301

If they weren't selling gangbusters at the lower price, I am sure they are gonna sell way more now at the higher one. lol

I know for sure that at $70K they were LOSING money on every car sold. The standard GTR turns out also went up by 10K to $111.5K, which means the car officially cannot be had for under 100K. Invoice on the car for 2016 was $98K which was still a bargain, imo.

No longer, though.

Edit: Oh shit...just checked that GTRs could be had for up to 10K below MSRP, though. Wow. There's a lot of negotiating room on them.

I know for sure that at $70K they were LOSING money on every car sold. The standard GTR turns out also went up by 10K to $111.5K, which means the car officially cannot be had for under 100K. Invoice on the car for 2016 was $98K which was still a bargain, imo.

No longer, though.

Edit: Oh shit...just checked that GTRs could be had for up to 10K below MSRP, though. Wow. There's a lot of negotiating room on them.

I think only the 09 was 70k,
after that they raise the price 10k more each year.
09,2010 and 2011 were pretty much the same car...

No longer, though.

You didn't know that? I thought you were into Nissans.
They've been available for $88 to $90k new for years now.

As for the Nismo, yeh, its at Turbo S and 570S pricing, but its a track car and it shows. Runs a 7:08 at the Ring while I dont think either of those even break 7:20. Well maybe the 570S does but I haven't seen a time.

edit: fixed grammar

AlphaSnake

You didn't know that? I thought you were into Nissans.
They've been available for $88 to $90k new for years now.

As for the Nismo, yeh, its at Turbo S and 570S pricing, but its a track car and it shows. Runs a 7:08 at the Ring which and I dont think either of those even break 7:20. Well maybe the 570S does but I haven't seen a time.

I knew the invoices were like 3K lower than MSRP. Had no idea dealers would negotiate that far below, though.

And yeah, I still forget how fucking fast the Nismo is around The Ring.

Shadoken

Yup ... All I want from a possible LC-F would be that screaming LFA V10 ( maybe not the exact same thing , but something similar ). Would give the R8 a run for its money , we need more NA Super Cars.

A 50K Supra would be perfect. There really needs to be more high performance non-luxury sports cars. GTR moved its price point too high.

Futaba

Uh-oh, heads up automotive gaf, if any of you are in Japan right now, drive extra carefully, seems like it's another quota day.
Just watched a guy get pulled for nothing more than having music on with his windows down (not even loud either)

Saw that 911R video and DeMuro's review...

Could you really get a Cayman GT4 for $85K? If so, then what's even the point of the 911R that's double the price?

If I was a smart and rich man, I'd save $100K and use that on a yacht or something then get a GT4 instead lol. Like I totally get the rawness of the 911R but I feel that's it's just a collector car instead of a car that you can actually use for whatever purpose. Hell you could probably save money buy buying a GT4 then stripping it down to it's bare metal.

That's not to say I don't like the 911R, I love love the idea of a street legal race car(just look at my Miata lol), but I just don't get why it exists. Maybe it's exactly as what Cammisa says, and that it only exists to annoy the pencil pushers and if that is the case, then more power to Porsche for doing it. I'd like to buy one but it's already a collector car and it's barely even in the market, I don't think I'd be able to buy one in my lifetime lol.

Could you fit something like this in the trunk and still have some space?

package-of-kirkland-signature-brand-paper-towels-sits-in-a-customers-picture-id158211363

That entire package has now become my standard for trunk space lol. That thing barely fits the trunk of my Miata, and if it was wider, it'd engulf the entire thing! On a Mazdaspeed3, half the trunk floor is basically gone thanks to this monster haha.

That's honestly all the "practicality" I need. 2+ passengers is also a major factor but it's not really necessary though I have to admit it sucks sometimes, but thanks to Uber, it isn't really a problem these days.

I actually saw a 987 Cayman at work this morning, idk if it's a trade-in, or if it's sold or we're just holding it for somebody but if it's the former then I might be able to at the very least sit it in so we'll see lol.

golem

If I was a smart and rich man, I'd save $100K and use that on a yacht or something then get a GT4 instead lol. Like I totally get the rawness of the 911R but I feel that's it's just a collector car instead of a car that you can actually use for whatever purpose. Hell you could probably save money buy buying a GT4 then stripping it down to it's bare metal.

Everyone who was offered a 911R by Porsche would be the dumbest fool on the planet not to buy one since they absolutely are a collectors car (and already going for obscene valuations above the msrp on the market) haha.

Evo X

Can confirm, picked up one a month ago- brilliant car!

Damn son. That looks hot. I thought I was the only one on GAF with a GT4.

Mine is white so we have a yin yang thing going. lol

Post more pics. I wanna see how you optioned the interior.

Saw that 911R video and DeMuro's review...

Could you really get a Cayman GT4 for $85K? If so, then what's even the point of the 911R that's double the price?

That's not to say I don't like the 911R, I love love the idea of a street legal race car(just look at my Miata lol), but I just don't get why it exists. Maybe it's exactly as what Cammisa says, and that it only exists to annoy the pencil pushers and if that is the case, then more power to Porsche for doing it. I'd like to buy one but it's already a collector car and it's barely even in the market, I don't think I'd be able to buy one in my lifetime lol.

Could you fit something like this in the trunk and still have some space?
package-of-kirkland-signature-brand-paper-towels-sits-in-a-customers-picture-id158211363

Yes, the base GT4 is $86k, but I don't think anyone ordered them that way. It's easy to get carried away with the options list. I added $20k to mine. lol

The 911R is definitely a collector's item. It is going for over twice it's MSRP, so the smart and rich men got even richer by ordering one. lol. Was only really available to 918 owners as part of the VIP program. It was sold out before it was even formally announced to the public.

Third, yes, I can fit that 12pack of paper towels in my front trunk easily. It is over 2 feet deep. I'm telling you man, go test drive a Cayman. You will love it!

AlphaSnake

jongkookie: I agree, you should check out that Cayman S. Bring some stuff with you in another car (borrow it if you have to) and try to see just how much you can fit.

golem

Damn son. That looks hot. I thought I was the only one on GAF with a GT4.

Mine is white so we have a yin yang thing going. lol

Post more pics. I wanna see how you optioned the interior.

Picked it off the lot (found a good deal) so didn't get wild with the options list but had the ones I wanted for the most part. Put Suntek PPF, Gyeon coating and Huper tint on it so far.

29351178974_705a15682b_b.jpg

29352001043_7063732643_b.jpg

29351177864_4a78e6202a_b.jpg

29351176714_9e003b6f1a_b.jpg

GHG

Picked it off the lot (found a good deal) so didn't get wild with the options list but had the ones I wanted for the most part. Put Suntek PPF, Gyeon coating and Huper tint on it so far.

Stunning. Looks great in black.

matmanx1

That black GT4 is awesome. Congrats on the purchase. If I had $100k to spend on a sports car the GT4 would be pretty much the top of my list.

AlphaSnake

Wow...black is THE color for this car. Fantastic.

THIS!!! I love cars, but I have a price ceiling.

GTR Nismo up in price by another $10K. Uhhh...holy shit. It's 180K now. Who the hell is buying these? They must be rare as fuck, at this point.

My uncle recently traded in his 2010 (took off the HKS 800 kit, along with the trans and other fun bits) for a 2017 Nismo. He plans to upgrade to the HKS 1000 kit.

Whoa, that looks GREAT! Congrats on the awesome pickup!

AlphaSnake

My uncle recently traded in his 2010 (took off the HKS 800 kit, along with the trans and other fun bits) for a 2017 Nismo. He plans to upgrade to the HKS 1000 kit.
!

The fact that a GT-R allows you to make 1000HP for under $250K...or hell under 500K with such ease is simply insane. I'd say Nissan is catering to track carvers and the insane speed demons with these cars.

AlphaSnake

Probably even under 200k if you get a CBA(2009-2011)....

Yeah, very true. But the first 2 (or even 3) versions of the DCT were pretty glass-like. They could destroy themselves inside with anything over 700WHP. But 2012+ have been holding 800 without any additional building. Beautiful stuff.

Yeah, very true. But the first 2 (or even 3) versions of the DCT were pretty glass-like. They could destroy themselves inside with anything over 700WHP. But 2012+ have been holding 800 without any additional building. Beautiful stuff.

That's a misconception.....the transmission is like 99 percent the same on the GT-Rs..its the launch control software that is different. The LC1 on the 2009 was pretty aggressive...I think there up to LC5 now...

golem

Dayam..black actually look really nice on that car..

Stunning. Looks great in black.

That black GT4 is awesome. Congrats on the purchase. If I had $100k to spend on a sports car the GT4 would be pretty much the top of my list.

Wow...black is THE color for this car. Fantastic.

get rekt Evo

gg no re

Whoa, that looks GREAT! Congrats on the awesome pickup!

Thanks guys! Mentally girding myself for the rigors of black car ownership again (my S4 is black as well), but just love the color on cars.

mkenyon

Banned
So, got home last night around 10:00, and holy shit what a drive. First off, we made some changes to the route. This meant that I was only on Interstate highway between Mountain Home and Nampa, a total of maybe 1 hour. Everything else was State Routes and State Highways. That meant very few cars. Pic of route:

Yellowstone:

Craters of the Moon:

Wallowa Mountains:

Prairie City and Strawberry Mountains:

John Day Fossil Beds Canyon

List of Mountain Ranges I drove through:

Rockies
Sawtooths
Wallowa
Strawberry
Ochoo
Cascades

I think there were a total of 13 pass summits, some of those being what we call "hills" in the west, that would be called mountains in the east ;)

The M5 was incredible. It gave me all sorts of first, the most exciting of which was redlining in 5th gear on the way to a max speed of 165. The car just wants to be at 90-110, all the random noises stop, and it feels just right.

So neutral through the corners, just begged me to put power down to sharpen things up, very confidence inspiring. I fucking love this car.

Out of all the roads that I went on, Highway 26 through Eastern and Central Oregon was by far the best. I had to pass maybe a total of 5 vehicles, two of those being tractors. It was like a personal race track (though I wasn't reckless). If you live in the Northwest, you have to drive this stretch of road. You go through multiple passes, tons of curvy roads, nice straights for high speed, canyons, valleys, you name it. Far prettier than what I saw in the Rockies, though I'd imagine East Yellowstone would have been pretty epic. Pic of the area:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy shit! Black GT4 is the business!

AlphaSnake

Thanks guys! Mentally girding myself for the rigors of black car ownership again (my S4 is black as well), but just love the color on cars.

I have a black Jaguar XKR and when it's clean it looks sensational. It's my second black car (third, if you count my Black Cherry 370Z) and I love it. Black cars are just mean looking. I also have my car coated and all the swirls polished away. Do it once, and it'll last you quite a long time.

Top Bottom