• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Futaba

You can squeeze 1000hp out of a surprising number of engines, often for a total build price of sub 20k with moderate reliability, the only caveat is that the engines are often closer to the raggedy edge of what they can output in relation to thier displacement.
In my youth, and with one of the first cars I modified I was pushing just shy of 940hp on a 3sgte at 40psi, block rebuilt with forged parts, sleeves, forged bottom end etc, was only 19 when I built that, the biggest problem i had with it was finding axels that could take the power and fit the car, and the headache of having to drop most of the engine each time I wanted to change the clutch to experiment, since the trans was from a ST205 (interestingly bolts straight up to a ST185 engine).

Of course you need to be of the mindset where stripping an engine or custom wiring looms is more a question of time then finding it daunting, but i still assert that anyone with access to the right tools and some patience can do it.

Incidentally, right now theres a soarer sat outside with straight-out exhausts on a 2JZ-GTE that pushes 700+ for fun, though it still needs stiffer springs because stomping the pedal tilts the car so hard the rear shocks smash the bump stops like the fist of an angry god.

Trying hard not to kill it, as I wouldnt mind transplanting it into a GA61 when I eventually find one with a relatively sound chassis.

Just for fun, here's a friend of mines Celica ST185:
Dyno 900 awhp: https://youtu.be/MaRaBnZlMvU
210mph standing mile: https://youtu.be/a8OQCHG__6M

I think this will be my last go with a petrol car, then move forward with electric/hybrid...ewww

So might as well go out with a BANG!!!....I want a loud obnoxious F1 sounding exhaust...
like real high pitch F1 sounding...

What you guys think of test pipes? yay or nay?...

matmanx1

Over my lunch break I finally took the time to watch the MotorTrend 2016 Best Driver's Car video. I didn't realize who the winner was and was a little bit surprised. (I'll not spoil it here in case anyone still wants to watch it) I was also pleasantly surprised at the 2nd place car which was the Mustang GT350R.

The car that won has a price tag that means I have little chance of ever owning one unless my income level drastically increases. The GT350R, however, is absolutely in reach so the fact that it came in 2nd over far more expensive cars is pretty exciting and ensures that it stays on my short list of cars to own someday.

BTW, that dyno run of the Celica in the post above is pretty mind-blowing stuff.

The fact that a GT-R allows you to make 1000HP for under $250K...or hell under 500K with such ease is simply insane. I'd say Nissan is catering to track carvers and the insane speed demons with these cars.

I've always enjoyed the seat time in his R35. It was stupid quick. And the funny thing was that you didn't really notice till you looked down at the speedo. It really is crazy when you can purchase a bolt on 1000 HP kit from various manufactures.

I can't wait!

Just for fun, here's a friend of mines Celica ST185:
Dyno 900 awhp: https://youtu.be/MaRaBnZlMvU
210mph standing mile: https://youtu.be/a8OQCHG__6M

Whoa...That thing is wild!

burgerdog

Picked it off the lot (found a good deal) so didn't get wild with the options list but had the ones I wanted for the most part. Put Suntek PPF, Gyeon coating and Huper tint on it so far.

29351178974_705a15682b_b.jpg

29352001043_7063732643_b.jpg

29351177864_4a78e6202a_b.jpg

29351176714_9e003b6f1a_b.jpg

Dude that looks hot as fuck. Nice grats.

Laws00

I'm wondering if I get a Fiat 124 Spider would I be able to go to Mazda and get it serviced? I got to travel all the way to bumble fuck just to get it serviced and to buy one as the closes Alfa Romeo & FIAT dealer to me is like 2 hours away

I'm considering Miata as my next car if they don't make a S2000 successor. But that won't be for another 5 years lol

I think ill be on a luxury mind set the following week lol

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering if I get a Fiat 124 Spider would I be able to go to Mazda and get it serviced? I got to travel all the way to bumble fuck just to get it serviced and to buy one as the closes Alfa Romeo & FIAT dealer to me is like 2 hours away

I'm considering Miata as my next car if they don't make a S2000 successor. But that won't be for another 5 years lol

The Fiat 124 uses a Fiat sourced engine in place of Mazda's own solution. Mazda's technicians would technically be able to work on the 124's transmission as it is from the NC Miata, but I doubt that Mazda will honor Fiat's warranty.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

No. Maybe an oil change, brake service, and tires that you pay out of your pockets. But nothing mechanical. Mazda does not warranty Fiats.

jongkookie: I agree, you should check out that Cayman S. Bring some stuff with you in another car (borrow it if you have to) and try to see just how much you can fit.

I took a look at the one we have at work and yeah stuff can definitely fit in it. I grabbed a similar size box from our break room and it fit at the frunk lol.

Honestly my hesitations with Porsche lie on reliability and the cost to fix shit. I can buy the car and pay the monthly payments but I'm no so sure about maintaining it. If this wasn't gonna be my daily driver, I probably wouldn't have any concerns but it is gonna be my daily... and I drive just to and from work an average of 200 miles a week so I assume I'll be quite familiar with my Porsche service center lol.

On the other hand, part of me wants to try something new as well so needless to say I'm all over the place with my car search lol. Seriously... I'm probably the only person in the world cross shopping an SUV, sporty FWD's, sports cars and luxury sedans.

The Fiat 124 uses a Fiat sourced engine in place of Mazda's own solution. Mazda's technicians would technically be able to work on the 124's transmission as it is from the NC Miata, but I doubt that Mazda will honor Fiat's warranty.

Yup, basic stuff Mazda can do but anything engine specific has to go to a Fiat shop. And funny enough, I've heard of rumors that Fiat will probably send your Fiata to a Mazda shop if it is a tranny problem lol. Thankfully tough, I don't think it'll have any problems in it's entire lifetime. The NC tranny is bulletproof, it's actually amazing at what it can handle.

GHG

Porsche maintenance costs are overblown. They are generally the most reliable cars in their class.

Even if they are say 10 years old? I know if you stay away from the turbos then the engines are generally bullet proof if you stay on top of the maintenance schedule but it tends to be everything else (electronics, air conditioning, etc) that can fall apart at any moment and cost a fair bit to replace.

I could use auto gaf as drivatars in Horizon 3. Can you guys add me if you have the game? burgerdog99 is my gt.

Will do mate, this game is my new obsession. Unhealthily so. If I'm not working this is what I'm doing. My poor wife... I'll force myself to go back to normal next week, I promise.

Picked it off the lot (found a good deal) so didn't get wild with the options list but had the ones I wanted for the most part. Put Suntek PPF, Gyeon coating and Huper tint on it so far.

29351176714_9e003b6f1a_b.jpg

Congratulations, it's gorgeous.

Bro, you want to talk about practicality, I moved across the country with a ton of shit in my Cayman GTS. It's got 2 trunks with plenty of space. Go check one out in person. You will be surprised.

Yeah, it's the same in my Boxster. Can take a ton of stuff with me. Pretty practical car actually.

So, got home last night around 10:00, and holy shit what a drive. First off, we made some changes to the route. This meant that I was only on Interstate highway between Mountain Home and Nampa, a total of maybe 1 hour. Everything else was State Routes and State Highways. That meant very few cars. Pic of route:

Was just wondering where the M5 pics were. Good stuff man, damn good looking BMW.

Even if they are say 10 years old? I know if you stay away from the turbos then the engines are generally bullet proof if you stay on top of the maintenance schedule but it tends to be everything else (electronics, air conditioning, etc) that can fall apart at any moment and cost a fair bit to replace.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned even if the engine hasn't had the IMS fix nor am I concerned about a $200 oil change but it's all the other things besides the engine that can fail.

For example, I spent about $800 last year to fix the starter harness in my Miata. I imagine it'd be at least double or triple the cost to fix in a Porsche... that's basically worth an entire paycheck right there lol.

I know I'd be fine if I have a separate emergency fund for a Porsche, but that means I'd have to wait for another 6 months before I can get one and I'm not so sure I can wait that long.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned even if the engine hasn't had the IMS fix nor am I concerned about a $200 oil change but it's all the other things besides the engine that can fail.

For example, I spent about $800 last year to fix the starter harness in my Miata. I imagine it'd be at least double or triple the cost to fix in a Porsche... that's basically worth an entire paycheck right there lol.

I know I'd be fine if I have a separate emergency fund for a Porsche, but that means I'd have to wait for another 6 months before I can get one and I'm not so sure I can wait that long.

The thing you'd really need to be worried about with the Porsche would be the engine, the other items in the car are actually very reliable and DD-worthy for sure. Just be prepared to replace minor issues yourself, and have the car inspected properly at a Porsche shop.

You're in the Dallas area, right? If you're considering buying one take it over to Mayo Performance north of Arlington. They inspected my 911SC and totally blew my socks off with how thorough and knowledgeable they were. For instance, they recognized that the VIN plate was in the wrong spot, but also knew that it was because it had originally been a body slated for European delivery that ended up being fitted for the US market, and then confirmed it through the VIN. And not by checking the VIN code against the manual, just from reading the VIN.

At the time they had an original Carrera RS 2.7 in for maintenance that was owned by Carlos Slim, so they know their shit.

I think post '08 the Caymans and Boxsters have an improved IMS (much bigger), that while more reliable, can't be replaced as easily as the ones in the older 86 and 87 platforms. Though last I heard methods are being developed so that these post '08 IMS bearings can be replaced as well (not by dealers as these feel the problem isn't that big of a deal). However, considering how they're improved already (the later IMS variants), this might not even be necessary.

Still Porsche did move away from the IMS design entirely a couple of years ago.

I did choose to have it done on my Boxster S. Bearing turned out to be fine, but I have such a low mile, clean example that I felt it was worth it. 2200 euro operation, but whatever... Should be good for another 100.000 miles.

matmanx1

I do a lot of research on reliability before I buy any car as repair trips and time spent in the shop is just an annoyance and headache. The Boxster and Cayman, according to both Consumer Reports and Truedelta, are fairly reliable. In fact, Truedelta shows the Cayman as needing few repairs per model year since 2006. http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability.php

Yes, if something breaks it will be expensive, but do what I do and put a little money back from each paycheck into a car account that can be used for repair or for the next vehicle down the road. Even with the expensive and frequent repair trips of my BWM last year I never went underwater because I was consistently saving money to take care of the repair bills.

In fact, from my research, I would say a well taken care of Cayman would be a safer and less troublesome bet than most BMW models of the same vintage. In all honesty, the Cayman doesn't scare me at all in terms of repair frequency, even for a daily driver.

GHG

I do a lot of research on reliability before I buy any car as repair trips and time spent in the shop is just an annoyance and headache. The Boxster and Cayman, according to both Consumer Reports and Truedelta, are fairly reliable. In fact, Truedelta shows the Cayman as needing few repairs per model year since 2006. http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability.php

Yes, if something breaks it will be expensive, but do what I do and put a little money back from each paycheck into a car account that can be used for repair or for the next vehicle down the road. Even with the expensive and frequent repair trips of my BWM last year I never went underwater because I was consistently saving money to take care of the repair bills.

In fact, from my research, I would say a well taken care of Cayman would be a safer and less troublesome bet than most BMW models of the same vintage. In all honesty, the Cayman doesn't scare me at all in terms of repair frequency, even for a daily driver.

Lets be honest here though, if you have experienced a BMW out of warranty and survived then nothing will phase you. However if you are coming from the world of Toyota/Honda then brace yourself.

That looks so obnoxious and I love it.

Looks production-ready...but I think the red-accented carbon fiber ground kit and the wheels won't make it, that's just for the car shows. They'll most likely be replaced with a body-colored ground kit made of regular plastics to cut costs, and solid-colored wheels.

That said, looking good, Honda's finally back with performance cars with stuff like this and the new NSX. If I was in still in my twenties I'd be down for one, it's twelve+ years too late for me lol. The 'regular' Civic Hatchback Sport is realistically more than enough car for me nowadays haha.

FStop7

Banned
Haha two of the comments from the general OT thread got me

"AXE body spray: the car" and "looks like a gaming laptop"

LMAO they're 100% right. Probably drives great but that is Lambo tier chest hair tryhard overstyling.

I'm turning 25 and I work in corporate America. Am I too old for the Type R?

Shoot, I turned 26 a month ago, work for a small business and I absolutely love the design of the car.

It's too fncking ridiculous which makes it all the more awesome.

Fnck all y'all haters and basement dwellers... subtlety is a losers game, you gotta put your balls to the wall all day 'err day if you want to succeed!

Kidding aside, I really do love it's absolute batshit insane design. Would I buy one, hell yes I would at the right price. But if it's anywhere near the insanity of the FoRS in terms of dealer gouging, I'll give it sometime. Who knows, maybe the Civic Si would really be the better buy or maybe finally Mazda drops a Mazdaspeed 3/6 on us.

Either way, I hope we get more info soon. I'd like to put this car in contention with my car hunt lol.

Edit - Porsche stuff:

I totally forgot there's a shitton of independent Porsche shops here in DFW... that makes me feel a little better about the maintenance and all that.

But as mentioned, it's one of the few cars in my list. I wouldn't be disappointed if I don't get one this time around as I'm sure I've got more chances and hopefully more money in the future to get an even newer Porsche lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Jong, have you thought about a low mileage E46 M3? Car payments would be low (if any), plenty of space for shit, comfy, and an amazing car.

You can find some great deals on 2002s, which had most of the problems fixed. Plus all problems are known which makes it easy to look out for.

No question it'd be higher maintenance than a Cayman, but it's also a lot cheaper to get into.

Also, some advice from someone that went through the same thing. I sold my 2004 WRX, which I fucking loved. It was a joy to drive everywhere because driving itself was fun. If you look at cars with automatics, or even automated manuals, you can and will just go into easy cruise mode. That might sound nice, but it sucks the joy and fun out of driving. Turns it into a chore or at least a comfortable inconvenience.

Don't get an SUV/CUV. Don't get a modern entry luxo car with an auto. Stick with what you love.

Yup. The problem with E46 M3's is that they're ridiculously hard to find. For example, a quick Autotrader search right now(manual and under 100K mileage in a 300 mile radius from DFW), there's 8 cars and over half are convertibles, while the rest are posers(SMG tranny) and salvage/rebuilt titles which obviously is a huge hell no lol.

Don't worry about the stick shift though, rest assured my next car is going to be a manual transmission. The Jeep Renegade and Caddy ATS can be had with a stick, it's the only reason why they're at the top of their own category.

Now that you mention the WRX... why shouldn't I get a current gen model? Lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Electric steering. Unless you get an STi.

Look out further too. Either road trip to pick it up, or have it shipped.

As long as you get an inspection and go over all the possible issues, no reason avoid buying a car sight unseen.

Rear Subframe, Rod Bearings in the Pre-03 cars, Valve Adjustments, and Vanos Bolts are the big problems with E46 M3s.

It might be worth looking into getting an E92 M3 as their values are going down. (Just get the rod bearings done as soon as you get it)

SliChillax

Yup. The problem with E46 M3's is that they're ridiculously hard to find. For example, a quick Autotrader search right now(manual and under 100K mileage in a 300 mile radius from DFW), there's 8 cars and over half are convertibles, while the rest are posers(SMG tranny) and salvage/rebuilt titles which obviously is a huge hell no lol.

Don't worry about the stick shift though, rest assured my next car is going to be a manual transmission. The Jeep Renegade and Caddy ATS can be had with a stick, it's the only reason why they're at the top of their own category.

Now that you mention the WRX... why shouldn't I get a current gen model? Lol.

SMG to manual conversion is easy and not very expensive (at least where I live)

Redline has reviews up for the 2017 86 and 2017 BRZ

86 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcPs_6ISvnc

BRZ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOan0hY06g

I really think Sofyan does a good job on these.

Both cool videos. While you really can't hear it on the 86 video due to the droning exhaust, on the BRZ it seems like the intake noise is better than in the current cars. A little deeper. I watched another video about the 2017's and it was present there too.

https://youtu.be/sgMYZxSxbIU?t=281

it is getting me interesting in these cars again. The change in gearing seems to have made a good impact.

SMG to manual conversion is easy and not very expensive (at least where I live)

If it's anywhere similar to a auto to manual swap... you could buy an NA Miata for the price of a tranny swap lol.

The E90 M3's are nice too, probably my favorite 3 series in the last 10 years but yeah the maintenance is the issue. Will definitely research though, I've got no objections to people thinking I'm an asshat with a Beemer haha.

As for the WRX, it's definitely my "if all else fails" car but only because I don't think it's interesting or challenging enough for me. Mind y'all that's not a slight to the WRX, I just want a quirky or challenging car to drive.

mkenyon

Banned
You want a challenging car to drive?

Get a Manual 2500 Cummins. I have the Auto, and I have to focus just to stay in my lane. Parking lots and downtown areas are especially challenging. :p

Really the only problem with the e90 m3s so far is the rod bearings.

They all use about a quart of oil every 4000 miles or so.

The maintenance will be much,much, higher than your NC Miata.

Gotta use the 10w-60 weight from BMW, and it uses 10qts of it.

I get around 18mpg in mine with combined driving, but its the best car I have ever owned.

Reven

Thanks to mkenyon I'm now watching a M5 auction on BaT. Luckily its in my state, just about an hour away so if I end up bidding on it it would be very convenient.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks to mkenyon I'm now watching a M5 auction on BaT. Luckily its in my state, just about an hour away so if I end up bidding on it it would be very convenient.

The Anthracite Grey one? :p

Doooo eeeeeeeet (assuming some of the worrying posts towards the beginning get answered).

Top Bottom