• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

No Love

Banned
Really the only problem with the e90 m3s so far is the rod bearings.

They all use about a quart of oil every 4000 miles or so.

The maintenance will be much,much, higher than your NC Miata.

Gotta use the 10w-60 weight from BMW, and it uses 10qts of it.

I get around 18mpg in mine with combined driving, but its the best car I have ever owned.

Rod bearings seem to be BMW's weak point. S62, S65, and S85 all suffer from rod bearing issues.

I really gotta get an E92 M3 6 spd and try it out.

You want a challenging car to drive?

Haha you know what I mean.

I had to drive an F250 at work today... fncking hell not only was it uncomfortable, I felt like I was driving a goddamn football field. No thanks lol.

I get around 18mpg in mine with combined driving, but its the best car I have ever owned.

Lmao wat.

It better have a big ass fuel tank... I get about 27mpg in my Miata with a range of 260 miles a tank. It's better than most sports cars of course but I still gotta fill up with premium every week.

Evo X: Are you in the picture with Doug at 2:34?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxbM5cZ-BzI&ab_channel=DougDeMuro

I feel like guessing: You're either dude with the camera. Or with the 412 shirt next to the pretty girl.

Evo X is Asian? No way, he sounds white on Xbone lol. Then again, I apparently sound like a country hick to non-Texans even though as I'm Asian as can be.

And if I were to profile peoples looks with cars, I'd say that Asian guy owns a S2000 instead lol.

Speaking of Xbone, just got Forza Horizon 3!

"zoomzoomx5" is my GT lol.

Evo X

Just got back from a hands on session with the first and only 2017 Porsche Panamera in the country. It was here for 1 day only as part of the US unveiling and is flying back to Germany tomorrow. There was a party last night for the grand opening of the Porsche Exchange dealership here in the north suburbs of Chicago. They easily had $20 Million+ worth of cars on display in the service bay and the CEO of Porsche even showed up.

20160930_173759_14752vekhy.jpg

20160930_181601_14752fuk1j.jpg

20160930_173412_147527oj1t.jpg

20160930_174902_14752p9k6g.jpg

They had the 718 Cayman as well. Looks a lot better in person than it does in pics.

I've recorded some video too. Can post it on YouTube if anyone is interested.

Evo X: Are you in the picture with Doug at 2:34?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxbM5cZ-BzI&ab_channel=DougDeMuro

I feel like guessing: You're either dude with the camera. Or with the 412 shirt next to the pretty girl.

No, I'm not in that pic. I hung out with Doug later when most of the crowd dispersed.

Also, I'm not Asian. lol.

No Love knows what I look like. I've met up with him before.

I heard kidneys aren't really necessary...

so got an exhaust and it arrived!!
still missing a part though before I can install.

it ain't stainless steele
and it ain't titanium..

SSxUZZt.jpg

sgtpAUb.jpg

lgw4MMm.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Just got back from a hands on session with the first and only 2017 Porsche Panamera in the country. It was here for 1 day only as part of the US unveiling and is flying back to Germany tomorrow. There was a party last night for the grand opening of the Porsche Exchange dealership here in the north suburbs of Chicago. They easily had $20 Million+ worth of cars on display in the service bay and the CEO of Porsche even showed up.

No, I'm not in that pic. I hung out with Doug later when most of the crowd dispersed.

Also, I'm not Asian. lol.

No Love knows what I look like. I've met up with him before.

Pretty sure that same Panamera was in San Francisco last week. A friend of mine saw it at a Porsche dealership roped off.

And idk why I always think you're Asian.

GHG

Pretty sure that same Panamera was in San Francisco last week. A friend of mine saw it at a Porsche dealership roped off.

And idk why I always think you're Asian.

I swear there was once a discussion/joke about Asian parents being tough on their kids after he said something about his mum telling him the Porsche isn't good enough and he should get a Ferrari?

Or am I going crazy and that was someone else
or the whole thing never happened... :O
?

AlphaSnake

I swear there was once a discussion/joke about Asian parents being tough on their kids after he said something about his mum telling him the Porsche isn't good enough and he should get a Ferrari?

?

It happened. Maybe Evo wasn't the poster who made that comment.

Zoolader

So today some distracted teenager T-boned me, proceeded to plow through a fence, and finally came to a stop via fucking giant oak tree. Thankfully I got a few good launches on my new clutch before this shit happened... and that everybody was ok.

29923477242_79d60f0b93_b.jpg

No Love

Banned
So today some distracted teenager T-boned me, proceeded to plow through a fence, and finally came to a stop via fucking giant oak tree. Thankfully I got a few good launches on my new clutch before this shit happened... and that everybody was ok.

Wow that B5 is donezo. fucking sad. :( Glad you're ok. Same color as my B5 too...

GHG

Noooooo. Glad you're ok but I can't imagine how you're feeling about the car.

golem

Damn, another B5 bites the dust. Sorry to see that happen, what are you going to replace it with?

Evo X

Pretty sure your friend is mistaken. My SA told me US debut was in Chicago yesterday. Post pics if you believe otherwise.

?

No, that was me. lol

Damn bro. Sorry to hear. Good thing you made it out safe. Distracted drivers are the main reason I stopped riding motorcycles. I'm not afraid of my own skill, but others ignorance.

Buy a bigger monitor :p

I'm on a 34" 4K UltraWide monitor. He edited in smaller pics. The originals were billboard size. lol

GTR Nismo up in price by another $10K. Uhhh...holy shit. It's 180K now. Who the hell is buying these? They must be rare as fuck, at this point.
I actually have the build data on my site up to 2015-06.

http://gtr-registry.com/en-r35-nismo.php

For USA region 65 for MY15 and 64 so far for MY16.

I've also made a couple of discoveries for R35s too.

The press release for Midnight Opal Special Edition says limited to 100 units worldwide and there's 115. The press release for 45th Anniversary says 45 units worldwide and I've already got records of 75 + 3 and there's probably more lol.

Nissan has done the same in the past with midnight purple 2 r34 gtr. Said they will limit production to 300 and I have records of 346.

AlphaSnake

Pretty sure your friend is mistaken. My SA told me US debut was in Chicago yesterday. Post pics if you believe otherwise.

No, that was me. lol

He's a huge car guy, so I have no reason to doubt him. Besides, cars do press tours all around the world. A press tour and US dealer reveal are two entirely different things. Dealers have their own way of securing cars to show off, it's not quite coming from corporate. Press or fleet vehicles are corporate, so it could've been two separate cars with the same color. But I've seen press cars make dealer appearances at dealerships all the time through the fleet department if there's a close enough relationship. In a place like SF, no surprise it would happen.

I actually have the build data on my site up to 2015-06.

http://gtr-registry.com/en-r35-nismo.php

For USA region 65 for MY15 and 64 so far for MY16.

I've also made a couple of discoveries for R35s too.

The press release for Midnight Opal Special Edition says limited to 100 units worldwide and there's 115. The press release for 45th Anniversary says 45 units worldwide and I've already got records of 75 + 3 and there's probably more lol.

Nissan has done the same in the past with midnight purple 2 r34 gtr. Said they will limit production to 300 and I have records of 346.

Wow. So the Nismos indeed in very rare quantities. They're basically building at selling them at cost or slightly above it. They're looking to position the R35 Nismo much like they did with past Skyline Nismos.

Futaba

Dual FI setup going in,in the morning, jackson racing sc and fullblown tk with gtx3076r turbine.. So lay in bed right now pricing up uprated parts im likely going to break once its up and running and all settled in.

Aiming for minimum 350, should certainly liven-er up a bit

finalflame

Ji8ywZh.jpg

Just got my first BMW :) 2016 228i 6MT with the Tech/Nav package, Comfort package, 18" alloys in Deep Sea Blue Metallic. Really happy with the turbo I-4 in this thing.

I've wanted a 1-series for a long time, and now the 228i was just the thing to scratch that itch. I know the 230i are now in the wild, but I'm glad I got the 4 year maintenance plan with the 228 and I got a great deal on it also.

I'll take better pictures today; this one was taken as I was picking it up from detailing at 8pm last night. Cheers!

bjork

Dear forum friends,

I totaled my Mercedes like a month ago, and picked up a 2004 350Z this past Sunday. Low miles, not much in the way of wear and tear, etc. But the issue I'm having is a fluctuating fuel gauge: it showed 1/2 tank when I left for work, so I stopped and put gas in, but it kept shutting the pump off. Got it to show 3/4 when I left the station, but when I got home from work, it showed 1/2 again. Then when I came out about two hours later, it showed 1/4. Parked it in the driveway to wash it, then it showed 1/2 again.

Is this common in a 350Z? I've found some links about the shape of the tank and people changing out fuel sensors, but I wondered if anyone here experienced this and what they did to go about getting a more accurate reading. Cheers etc

AlphaSnake

Ji8ywZh.jpg

Just got my first BMW :) 2016 228i with the Tech/Nav package, Comfort package, 18" alloys in Deep Sea Blue Metallic. Really happy with the turbo I-4 in this thing.

I've wanted a 1-series for a long time, and now the 228i was just the thing to scratch that itch. I know the 230i are now in the wild, but I'm glad I got the 4 year maintenance plan with the 228 and I got a great deal on it also.

I'll take better pictures today; this one was taken as I was picking it up from detailing at 8pm. Ceers!

Congrats. Great car, great motor. The way it delivers power is unlike any other FI 4-banger I've ever driven. By far the best turbo-4 in the biz.

Dear forum friends,

I totaled my Mercedes like a month ago, and picked up a 2004 350Z this past Sunday. Low miles, not much in the way of wear and tear, etc. But the issue I'm having is a fluctuating fuel gauge: it showed 1/2 tank when I left for work, so I stopped and put gas in, but it kept shutting the pump off. Got it to show 3/4 when I left the station, but when I got home from work, it showed 1/2 again. Then when I came out about two hours later, it showed 1/4. Parked it in the driveway to wash it, then it showed 1/2 again.

Is this common in a 350Z? I've found some links about the shape of the tank and people changing out fuel sensors, but I wondered if anyone here experienced this and what they did to go about getting a more accurate reading. Cheers etc

Congrats on the Z. I had a 2006 and loved it dearly. It was so damn reliable. But yes, this is an issue some people have on both older 350Zs and G35s.

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-for-gas-gauge-fluctuations-hard-to-fill.html

The pump shut off and the fluctuating gasoline reading aren't exactly related. The down angle of the tank is what causes the gasoline to splash on the pump nozzle and trigger the shut off. Some pumps did it, some didn't. It was always annoying for me. I found that pumping the gas slowly prevented the splashing and shutting off.

Evo X

He's a huge car guy, so I have no reason to doubt him. Besides, cars do press tours all around the world. A press tour and US dealer reveal are two entirely different things. Dealers have their own way of securing cars to show off, it's not quite coming from corporate. Press or fleet vehicles are corporate, so it could've been two separate cars with the same color. But I've seen press cars make dealer appearances at dealerships all the time through the fleet department if there's a close enough relationship. In a place like SF, no surprise it would happen.

My SA has no reason to lie either. This wasn't some rinky dink dealer event. It was specifically for new Panamera touching down on US soil for the first time. The freaking CEO of Porsche was there to give a speech.

AFAIK, this was the first dealer to have one on display and the only people who saw it earlier were special clientele invited to an event at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta on the morning of the 29th to coincide with Paris Auto Show.

Find it really hard to believe it was it just sitting in the middle of a dealership in SF a week prior. If you give me the location, I will even call them to ask.

Ji8ywZh.jpg

Just got my first BMW :) 2016 228i 6MT with the Tech/Nav package, Comfort package, 18" alloys in Deep Sea Blue Metallic. Really happy with the turbo I-4 in this thing.

I'll take better pictures today; this one was taken as I was picking it up from detailing at 8pm last night. Cheers!

Congrats! Gorgeous spec. :)

Cars and Coffee earlier today but as usual I got there late so there weren't a lot of cool cars left, but thanks to Toyota moving their HQ to Dallas, I did see something very interesting. It was a concept car along with one of my holy grails right next to it.

Will try to get the pictures up later, assuming I stop playing FH3 or don't do something else lol.

Ji8ywZh.jpg

wow, your 228 looks just like my imperial blue 328. congrats.

AlphaSnake

My SA has no reason to lie either. This wasn't some rinky dink dealer event. It was specifically for new Panamera touching down on US soil for the first time. The freaking CEO of Porsche was there to give a speech.

AFAIK, this was the first dealer to have one on display and the only people who saw it earlier were special clientele invited to an event at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta on the morning of the 29th to coincide with Paris Auto Show.

Find it really hard to believe it was it just sitting in the middle of a dealership in SF a week prior. If you give me the location, I will even call them to ask.

I'm honestly not going to waste my time asking my friend for another guy from a forum who is questioning him. I'm not calling anyone a liar here, never implied your service advisor was lying. I clarified that it may have been two different cars from different branches of Porsche. All he said was that there was a 718 and new dark grey Panamera there for one day and it was gone the next. I'm not going to text him and ask him and imply anything.

I've seen Infiniti Q30s in the United States...last year, September 2015. Pretty sure I may have even posted about it. But the car literally just came out in the United States in June or July 2016. Nearly a year later. But we saw them down here really early, because corporate was doing a fleet tour and allowed a handful of dealerships to see the production ready prototypes of the cars.

Tell Evo Porsches are for hair dressers anyway

Come on man, leave this for the Miatas!

Some pics from Cars and Coffee Dallas today with ridiculous commentary under.

LAWD JESUS

HNGGG

I wonder who would win?

Pretty sure this one showed up last time I was here in March but...

WHALE TAIL!!

One of these things is not like the other...

Finally, here's that concept car I was talking about:

Yep, it's the Lexus LC500h concept in the flesh. This is interesting to me because the fact that this is here means that Toyota is in for C&C so I imagine we'll be getting some cool shit in the future. Maybe I'll actually beat Evo X and Alphasnake and see the new Supra first? Lol.

Anyway, the rest of the pics are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27432612@N04/albums/72157673461083060

AlphaSnake

Come on man, leave this for the Miatas!

Some pics from Cars and Coffee Dallas today with ridiculous commentary under.

Yep, it's the Lexus LC500h concept in the flesh. This is interesting to me because the fact that this is here means that Toyota is in for C&C so I imagine we'll be getting some cool shit in the future. Maybe I'll actually beat Evo X and Alphasnake and see the new Supra first? Lol.

Anyway, the rest of the pics are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27432612@N04/albums/72157673461083060

Amazing pics, dude. But that's not a concept car. That's a pre-production car. My Lexus dealer had one sitting inside for the past week. My friends back in NYC saw a black one too (it may have been the exact same car though). And the press has driven them already.

Here's the black LC that was here in FL and in NYC:

Palm Beach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvR26SEHvg&ab_channel=MikeForythe

And here it is in NYC/Long Island at a huge meet I used to go to on Thursdays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1V4tPXV6iQ&ab_channel=R-N-M

They've been taking this pre-production corporate car around to dealers and meets like this.

Also, just saw the plate has "DST" written on it. That's a corporate car, most likely pre-production, road legal, titled by the regional distribution office (on the east coast Lexus has their distribution center in New Jersey). The unfortunate fate for this car is that because it's a non VIN vehicle, it will be crushed in a year. :(

You talkin a lot brah, but all I'm hearin is you ain't got any receipts.

LOL.

Amazing pics, dude. But that's not a concept car. That's a pre-production car. My Lexus dealer had one sitting inside for the past week. My friends back in NYC saw a black one too (it may have been the exact same car though). And the press has driven them already.

Here's the black LC that was here in FL and in NYC:

Palm Beach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvR26SEHvg&ab_channel=MikeForythe

And here it is in NYC/Long Island at a huge meet I used to go to on Thursdays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1V4tPXV6iQ&ab_channel=R-N-M

They've been taking this pre-production corporate car around to dealers and meets like this.

Also, just saw the plate has "DST" written on it. That's a corporate car, most likely pre-production, road legal, titled by the regional distribution office (on the east coast Lexus has their distribution center in New Jersey). The unfortunate fate for this car is that because it's a non VIN vehicle, it will be crushed in a year. :(

No wonder the car windows were open and that you could actually see the interior:

That's good news though, well the car being a pre-production model at least. I think it was a given that Toyota was gonna start showing random cars locally due to the move but to get some kind of confirmation for it is awesome... now I'm gonna be on the lookout for Toyota's or Lexii's with special plates or tags for them and wonder what it is lol.

But yeah it is a shame that they're gonna be crushing a car. It may be hybrid but that doesn't deserve a horrible fate.

AlphaSnake

LOL.

No wonder the car windows were open and that you could actually see the interior:

That's good news though, well the car being a pre-production model at least. I think it was a given that Toyota was gonna start showing random cars locally due to the move but to get some kind of confirmation for it is awesome... now I'm gonna be on the lookout for Toyota's or Lexii's with special plates or tags for them and wonder what it is lol.

But yeah it is a shame that they're gonna be crushing a car. It may be hybrid but that doesn't deserve a horrible fate.

Yeah, I like to keep my eyes open. There's a BMW corporate exec where I live. I always see him driving all sorts of new shit. Years ago he had an M4 with NJ manufacturer plates, close to 3 or 4 months before the car went on sale. A pre-production model. I was chasing his ass and taking pics of it. And around the same time, same guy was driving a dark grey BMW i8, also months before it went on sale, using a manufacturer plate.

But the kicker was the same fucking guy driving an E92 M3 GTS, with regular Florida plates though. Roll cage and all. One of 7 in the United States might make it one of the rarest M3s ever made, if we exclude the non-sense one off Utes...but I'd have to double check that.

Anyway, the first time with the M4 I asked him what dealer can I see the car at, he told me it's a corporate car. Second time with the i8 I'm pretty sure he was getting annoyed with me tailing him again a few weeks later and scooted off into the Disney employee lot. And by the third time with the GTS, I followed him almost all the way home and he was definitely getting paranoid (we live one subdivision apart, same stretch of road). But at the light, I had to ask him and he was reluctant to roll his windows down. The GTS was his actual car, and that when he found out they'd make one (before it was announced publicly or rumored), he made sure one was made for him. He never did tell me what his role with corporate was, though. And still irks me till this day.

Zoolader

Wow that B5 is donezo. fucking sad. :( Glad you're ok. Same color as my B5 too...

Hey thanks, I remember your silver stage 3 s4. I'm feeling mostly ok, I've developed some splitting headaches and back pain though. I had that car for 6 years so it's sad to lose her, but she may live on as an organ donor.

Noooooo. Glad you're ok but I can't imagine how you're feeling about the car.

Thanks man. I thought I'd have the car forever so I'm kinda bummed about it. Even had funds reserved to buy larger turbos and supporting mods this black friday.

My sympathies :(.

Thanks bruh :)

Damn, another B5 bites the dust. Sorry to see that happen, what are you going to replace it with?

Ya thanks I'm sorry too. It's going to be a while to sort things out with insurance I guess. So in the meantime just drive my beater e30. I was just browsing ebay and came upon this e92 M3, didn't know they were so cheap...

Damn bro. Sorry to hear. Good thing you made it out safe. Distracted drivers are the main reason I stopped riding motorcycles. I'm not afraid of my own skill, but others ignorance.

Thank you, and that's the same exact reason why I never wanted to own a bike.

AlphaSnake

Hey thanks, I remember your silver stage 3 s4. I'm feeling mostly ok, I've developed some splitting headaches and back pain though. I had that car for 6 years so it's sad to lose her, but she may live on as an organ donor.

Thanks man. I thought I'd have the car forever so I'm kinda bummed about it. Even had funds reserved to buy larger turbos and supporting mods this black friday.

Thanks bruh :)

Ya thanks I'm sorry too. It's going to be a while to sort things out with insurance I guess. So in the meantime just drive my beater e30. I was just browsing ebay and came upon this e92 M3, didn't know they were so cheap...

Thank you, and that's the same exact reason why I never wanted to own a bike.

That really, really sucks. Sorry to see and hear. The back pain is most likely whiplash. Does it hurt when you walk or climb stairs?

burgerdog

Is a MY13 RS5 with 60k miles a bad idea? I would be trading in my MY13 S5 with 21k miles for it and adding $4k to my loan, which I'm almost done paying. Just worried about reliability at that point and I have to see if they are willing to replace the brakes and rotors again before purchase because that's pretty pricey. I daily drive my car and I only have 21k miles(13 miles total daily commute.)

AlphaSnake

Is a MY13 RS5 with 60k miles a bad idea? I would be trading in my MY13 S5 with 21k miles for it and adding $4k to my loan, which I'm almost done paying. Just worried about reliability at that point and I have to see if they are willing to replace the brakes and rotors again before purchase because that's pretty pricey. I daily drive my car and I only have 21k miles(13 miles total daily commute.)

I personally wouldn't do it. It's a pretty old motor and I'd hope it's fairly reliable at this point, but it's also an early model year car in the US and a lot of miles for an Audi, imo. If you have the pockets for it and you really want it...sure. But I'd never buy a rare-ish used Audi with bespoke parts.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

They had the 718 Cayman as well. Looks a lot better in person than it does in pics.

I've recorded some video too. Can post it on YouTube if anyone is interested.

If it wouldn't be much of a bother, I would appreciate that.

Y
Anyway, the first time with the M4 I asked him what dealer can I see the car at, he told me it's a corporate car. Second time with the i8 I'm pretty sure he was getting annoyed with me tailing him again a few weeks later and scooted off into the Disney employee lot. And by the third time with the GTS, I followed him almost all the way home and he was definitely getting paranoid (we live one subdivision apart, same stretch of road). But at the light, I had to ask him and he was reluctant to roll his windows down. The GTS was his actual car, and that when he found out they'd make one (before it was announced publicly or rumored), he made sure one was made for him. He never did tell me what his role with corporate was, though. And still irks me till this day.

...I understand where he is coming from. Following him home was a bit much.

AlphaSnake

If it wouldn't be much of a bother, I would appreciate that.

...I understand where he is coming from. Following him home was a bit much.

I said "almost". Read what else I said, we live a few steps away from each other. It was inevitable and a coincidence.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I said "almost". Read what else I said, we live a few steps away from each other. It was inevitable and a coincidence.

Right, but look at it from his perspective. He's driving multiple pre-production/pre-release cars too and from his home, and some stranger is purposely following him, most likely taking photos/video, and asking questions on more than one occasion. Not only is it a personal safety concern because unfortunately there are really crazy people in the world; its a professional concern, because he or the cars he's driving could end up as part of a article on Jalopnik, et al. This guy is probably not conducting final tests. He's using a perk to get personal access to these cars prior to them being available for purchase and definitely outside of the planned marketing campaign.

AlphaSnake

Right, but look at it from his perspective. He's driving multiple pre-production/pre-release cars too and from his home, and some stranger is purposely following him and asking questions on more than one occasion. Not only is it a personal safety concern because unfortunately there are really crazy people in the world; its a professional concern, because he or the cars he's driving could end up as part of a article on Jalopnik, et al. This guy is probably not conducting final tests. He's using a perk to get personal access to these cars prior to them being available for purchase and definitely outside of the planned marketing campaign.

They were all coincidences. I wasn't purposely stalking the guy. We're in a small city outside of Orlando, home to professional athletes and celebrities. This kind of stuff is normal where you're always running into the same people over and over again. One road takes you into and out of the area. These run ins are spread apart by a total of 10 weeks or so. I also don't think he's using perks, he's a high ranking guy. Perks won't get you cars shipped 1000 miles away. He most likely is field testing, but seems to have a remote position where he's working out of Florida.

By the 3rd time we spoke though, he was actually pretty nice. He was comfortable enough to tell me the GTS was his and the backstory. He just smiled when the light turned green and we didn't want to hold up traffic so we couldn't get into his job title and such. Said have a nice night and off we went.

Top Bottom