• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

For my 2008 MX-5 and my 2004 GX470 I believe we pay about $160 to Statefarm for full coverage. That is with a mutli-car discount / family discount that also has our home insurance on the policy. And neither my wife or myself have any accidents or tickets within the last 10 years.

I do believe any new car you buy is going to raise your insurance rate by a good amount. New cars are just worth a lot more than older ones and that value difference is reflected in the rate.

$160 sounds right due to the years on those cars. I've been using Nerdwallet's estimator as well and I priced my Miata as well as a Protege5 Wagon that I was interested in and it was around $180.

Interestingly enough, a BRZ, Mustang and Camaro is estimated to be around $160 according to Nerdwallet while my Miata by itself is around $110.

If you can afford a new one, order it. That's what I did with my ATS. You can get exactly what you want on it and nothing you don't.

True, but I found a V6 Camaro earlier today that's about 2 hours out from me for waaaaay under MSRP. I'm guessing since it's a stick and V6 nobody wants it? That's the kind of deals I'm looking for. Dunno if I'll try to get that though as I'm finding more V8 Challengers and Ecoboost 'stangs that's less than 45 mins away from me.

Try using Chevy's car finder. A lot of dealers don't put their cars on Autotrader. Or just search the various dealer inventories around you for a 2016.

$179/month for a 2016 2500 Cummins + 2000 M5. This is with really high coverage and $100 deductible on everything.

I didn't know about Chevy's car finder... I'll definitely try that!

IIRC USAA's hella cheap because it's for the military or something. Unfortunately, I don't have any family inside the military so I don't think I'm even eligible for them.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I dont know, looking from the boot shot you can see a fair amount of tone difference between whats been in the sun and what hasnt. You are right about the paint, glancing over threads online isnt the best pracice...

That's just the lighting, bruv.

Also, keep in mind that Alfa wasn't really known for their paint luster for a number of decades.

AlphaSnake

Future million dollar collectible: The Audi R8 e-tron. I completely even forgot that this car existed. They made less than 100 examples, and dealers can no longer order them anymore. The car was only built on a case-by-case basis. Never ordered by dealers for showrooms or stock. Basically, Audi did an awful job of letting people know it was a thing.

But I promise you, 10-15 years later, it'll be fetching seven figures.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/12/audi-r8-e-tron-dead-less-than-100-built/#slide-3374986

J-Rzez

Muscle car question time.

Would you rather get a...

A: 2010 - current used Dodge "Not a Hellcat" Challenger R/T(V8)
B: Current gen & Brand new V6 Camaro, the "Jalopnik Special"
C: Current gen new/used Ford "Cars and Coffee curb expert" Mustang Ecoboost

And go!

All are obviously stick and are under $25K.

I wanna hear what Auto-GAF says before I put out my own opinions on this lol.

EB Mustang. You can do the ford tune like alpha said, or push the tune with someone like the tuner that did my RS. Ford left a mass of power on the table. A lot of aftermarket support as well.

No Love

Banned
Future million dollar collectible: The Audi R8 e-tron. I completely even forgot that this car existed. They made less than 100 examples, and dealers can no longer order them anymore. The car was only built on a case-by-case basis. Never ordered by dealers for showrooms or stock. Basically, Audi did an awful job of letting people know it was a thing.

But I promise you, 10-15 years later, it'll be fetching seven figures.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/12/audi-r8-e-tron-dead-less-than-100-built/#slide-3374986

The car MSRP was $1+ mill already.

AlphaSnake

The car MSRP was $1+ mill already.

You're thinking about the original bodied prototypes. The 2nd gen production cars had a price that fluctuated with the market, and it started just over $200K, so actual MSRPs were never disclosed.

Hesemonni

Banned
Call me crazy, but I think the upcoming G30/G31 might be the best looking 5-series yet. Can't wait to see how it looks in its best guide: touring.

Q4UECfR.jpg

...And when they update their 520d offering I just might have to switch my ongoing F11 :/

AlphaSnake

Call me crazy, but I think the upcoming G30/G31 might be the best looking 5-series yet. Can't wait to see how it looks in its best guide: touring.

Q4UECfR.jpg

...And when they update their 520d offering I just might have to switch my ongoing F11 :/

You're crazy, then.

Last page we ragged on it. Headlights are huge. Taillights are huge. Profile looks great. But F10 >>>>>>>>>>>>> G30.

Evo X

Going to have a Bentley Bentayga for the weekend. Picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone have specific questions they'd like answered about this beastly SUV?

Lmao I just made a goddamn spreadsheet calculating how much everything would cost if I went Miata + hot hatch or trade it in and get something else. I'm glad I did though, pretty interesting numbers came out.

Basically...

Miata + $19K car + monthly insurance = $600/month
and
$25K total(with tax and registration) + monthly insurance = $600/month

All at 60 months with an APR of 3%.

So the $25K total also includes the value of my Miata when traded in, essentially the car would need to be around $30K total to get those numbers.

And yes I know you're not supposed to look at numbers in a monthly cycle but I'm only doing it here to give y'all an idea on the difference between the two situations.

Finally, you might be wondering why I'm doing this on GAF... eh good question. But maybe some lurker will be inspired or whatever to be able to afford an excellent car while still being a frugal motherfncker like me. Not all of us are rolling in Evo X money soooo lolol.

EB Mustang. You can do the ford tune like alpha said, or push the tune with someone like the tuner that did my RS. Ford left a mass of power on the table. A lot of aftermarket support as well.

Yep, that's one of the reasons why I really like the Mustang despite it's C&C stigma. We'll see though... I'm in no rush to get a new car so I'm taking my time to find the best and the right one.

mkenyon

Banned
If anyone is looking for a really great car deal, there's an E39 540i M-Sport on BAT with three hours left, it's only at 5.5k right now.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-540i-m-sport-not-m5/

Q4UECfR.jpg

I definitely like some parts of it, but it looks really bloated to me.

You have svelte and understated E39

Chiseled and sporty E60 (my personal favorite, aesthetically)

The F10, which is pretty vanilla, but still expresses some semblence of "I'm fun"

and now the G30 looks like some awful combination of that Merc-style ARCH, like the car is bending from the middle, and an overall bloaty 7-series.

Worst 5 series yet, IMO. A definite downgrade and departure from all prior 5 series styling.
Lmao I just made a goddamn spreadsheet calculating how much everything would cost if I went Miata + hot hatch or trade it in and get something else. I'm glad I did though, pretty interesting numbers came out.

Basically...

Miata + $19K car + monthly insurance = $600/month
I think you should go this route, unless you want something fun/sporty other than the Miata. If you love the Miata tho, you have a ton of options at 19k.

E60 has aged terribly. Not one of Bangles best to say the least.

I like the g30 as well, side profile and front look great.

I'd put this and XJ at the top of the class. A6 is too staid for my taste and the E-Class proportions just don't look right to me (definitely worse looking than the S and C class).

mkenyon

Banned

I'd put this and XJ at the top of the class. A6 is too staid for my taste and the E-Class proportions just don't look right to me (definitely worse looking than the S and C class).
waaaaaaaaaaaaat

It's like BMW luxury meets rally car meets muscle car.

Definitely subjective though, so to each their own.

What happened to NeoGaf? the OT Discussion is full of political crazy stuff. That section is getting scary...

What other auto forums do you guys go to? I like AutoGAF cause of the diversity....and the pointless fighting is fun and not soo serious...

AlphaSnake

XF, not XJ :p

Edit: I have to defend the E60, though. In M-form, it still looks spectacular, imo. But in its basic shape, the aesthetic looks over stressed and trying too hard. It really needs those M bumpers and skirts to compliment its shape. The design language back then relied heavily on accents to make the cars look good. Where as an Audi A6, let's say, looked good no matter what visual packages it came with, S-Line or not.

XF, not XJ :p

Edit: I have to defend the E60, though. In M-form, it still looks spectacular, imo. But in its basic shape, the aesthetic looks over stressed and trying too hard. It really needs those M bumpers and skirts to compliment its shape. The design language back then relied heavily on accents to make the cars look good. Where as an Audi A6, let's say, looked good no matter what visual packages it came with, S-Line or not.

Oh yeah my bad I always get confused with jag's lettered nomenclature.

Anyways, in my opinion, a lot of the lines on the E60 just did not age well. It wasn't bad looking when it was new but now the headlights, a bit of the side profile, and the taillight lines just look like too much now. They just don't flow well.

Futaba

What happened to NeoGaf? the OT Discussion is full of political crazy stuff. That section is getting scary...

What other auto forums do you guys go to? I like AutoGAF cause of the diversity....and the pointless fighting is fun and not soo serious...

I know what you mean, personally I stick to vehicle specific forums when i need info on a particular vehicle, and generally avoid 'general' vehicle forums because they always seem to descend into a penis measuring competition and "i know such a such person who owns x car thats better than y car" and such arguments are often hard to avoid, id say maybe mighty car mods forums but that place kinda ended up a "notice me senpai" breeding ground with lots of armchair tuners.

At least in a month all or at least most of the political garbage will be gone.

I know what you mean, personally I stick to vehicle specific forums when i need info on a particular vehicle, and generally avoid 'general' vehicle forums because they always seem to descend into a penis measuring competition and "i know such a such person who owns x car thats better than y car" and such arguments are often hard to avoid, id say maybe mighty car mods forums but that place kinda ended up a "notice me senpai" breeding ground with lots of armchair tuners.

I agree with this. I mostly stick to brand specific forums. They're large enough to where its not a ghost town and you at least have something in common with other people.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Got myself a BMW X5 xDrive50i V8 over the weekend as a "tourbus" for my band :D
What a nice car, and i now totally get why people love SUV's even in a urban environment. Dat 450hp - god damn.

Lmao "notice me senpai" breeding ground? That's actually fncking hilarious. I'm not surprised though, while I am a big fan of MCM and their content is basically aimed for those people.

Anyway Auto-GAF is really the only car forum I frequent. I used to be very active on Miata.net but like the gaming side of GAF they tend to be an echo chamber of Miatas(then again this pretty much applies to any car specific forum) and people arguing about really stupid shit.

For example there was a shop that released Delrin door bushings for the NC Miata and the damn thread is basically an unscientific argument on whether those door bushings helped reduce NVH or not and if it actually made the car drive better. Like what the fuck, those are just damn door bushings!

giphy.gif

Might be going with my friend to pick up an AMG S63. Very curious to see how it drives. Should be a massive upgrade from his 4000 lb 295 ft-lb torque E93 M3.

If the S550's I've been driving at work are any indication, they're smoooooth as fuck. Dunno about the handling though, the farthest I can drive is basically a straight line from the office to the car wash.

Also tell your friend to get one with the massage chair, that shit is seriously the most amazing thing you could ever have in a car. I may or may not have spent 30 mins inside an S550 sleeping with the massage chair on lol.

Futaba

Anyway Auto-GAF is really the only car forum I frequent. I used to be very active on Miata.net but like the gaming side of GAF they tend to be an echo chamber of Miatas(then again this pretty much applies to any car specific forum) and people arguing about really stupid shit.

For example there was a shop that released Delrin door bushings for the NC Miata and the damn thread is basically an unscientific argument on whether those door bushings helped reduce NVH or not and if it actually made the car drive better. Like what the fuck, those are just damn door bushings!

giphy.gif
Haha! Yeah that's pretty much a given at any car specific forum after a while, most recent one for me was seeing a debate in which the general opinion was installing an aftermarket steering wheel was a dumb idea because it made the car "extremely dangerous" despite the car still having a pillar,. b pillar, outer edge seat support, door card and passenger dash air bags that would all still work.

My argument was that most of the cars I've owned over the years didn't even have air bags and I was perfectly happy driving those around, and that yes removing the steering wheel airbag did make a head on collision a little more dangerous but calling it "extremely dangerous" was borderline hypochondria

But that's the thing right, once everyone's done patting each other on the back for the things they have in common all they really have left if to pick apart other peoples choices and opinions which gradually degrades into out and out wars until one/all get banned or move on.

Not just cars either, pretty much any topic will eventually descend into chaos, what a weird and wonderful reality lol

http://www.caradvice.com.au/490266/...es-to-meet-real-world-emissions-tests-report/

I thought this was amusing. Basically, Euro manufacturers will be upsizing their engines again because the small turbocharged engines that are the trend these days can't pass the new set of real-world emissions testing, which will roll out 2019.

Small turbo engines can be tuned to game the lab-based testing. But they run too hot and thirsty and emit way too much particulates and NOx in real world driving.

Thanks Dieselgate.

SliChillax

waaaaaaaaaaaaat

It's like BMW luxury meets rally car meets muscle car.

Definitely subjective though, so to each their own.

The interior has aged badly though.

Q4UECfR.jpg

Love the interior, it's very BMW but also modern which is what actual BMW owners want. Not sure about the rear but I'm sure it'll be alright in person. Bring on the M5.

This sounds like good advice and is something I should do. How much do they cost now anyway?

Depends on the spec and transmission but I wouldn't get one due to their shit reliability.

Pterion

Also agree that the E60 looks terrible. G30 interior looks nice, and I think the exterior looks better than the F10.

Anyway, I'm probably shopping for my next car the wrong way, but it's a happy problem so I'm not upset about it by any means. Considering used vs new, sedan vs sports car, 2 seaters up to 5 seaters, Honda Civic up to Audi RS7 (not really considering the latter, but my wife likes the looks...). In between I still have the A4, Cayman, M3, Corvette, 991, etc. In the end, I think that I will go for something cheaper so I don't feel too guilty about it, then pass it on to my wife within a year and go all out. I have definitely earned my PhD in delayed gratification!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Also agree that the E60 looks terrible. G30 interior looks nice, and I think the exterior looks better than the F10.

Anyway, I'm probably shopping for my next car the wrong way, but it's a happy problem so I'm not upset about it by any means. Considering used vs new, sedan vs sports car, 2 seaters up to 5 seaters, Honda Civic up to Audi RS7 (not really considering the latter, but my wife likes the looks...). In between I still have the A4, Cayman, M3, Corvette, 991, etc. In the end, I think that I will go for something cheaper so I don't feel too guilty about it, then pass it on to my wife within a year and go all out. I have definitely earned my PhD in delayed gratification!

A4 breh

AlphaSnake

Of that list? Definitely the M3. That's not even a debate. It's fast and practical. The 991 is too damn expensive, as is the RS7. Also, unless you have another car or two for practical stuff, you'll need some practicality out of your car. So no Cayman or Corvette. You can shoot for the Audi S6, which is about $62K if you need AWD.

Pterion

Of that list? Definitely the M3. That's not even a debate. It's fast and practical. The 991 is too damn expensive, as is the RS7. Also, unless you have another car or two for practical stuff, you'll need some practicality out of your car. So no Cayman or Corvette. You can shoot for the Audi S6, which is about $62K if you need AWD.
I love the M3 looks but would be ok with its interior. Problem is I've read that it is very stiff and not very good as a daily driver (uncomfortable?), and I would be mostly driving to work and around town, no track time planned. It snows here quite a bit, and ground clearance and traction may be an issue with RWD (I realize that my list includes cars with similar or worse winter abilities). If the only the 340 xdrive looked better, it'd make it an easier choice.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I love the M3 looks but would be ok with its interior. Problem is I've read that it is very stiff and not very good as a daily driver (uncomfortable?), and I would be mostly driving to work and around town, no track time planned. It snows here quite a bit, and ground clearance and traction may be an issue with RWD (I realize that my list includes cars with similar or worse winter abilities). If the only the 340 xdrive looked better, it'd make it an easier choice.

M3 is stiff - that's part of the appeal. Constant reminder that you're in a "racing" car and not just a gimmick - the suspension and tuning are all fantastic for thrashing it around and I won't lie, it's fun to drive in cities and not unpleasant for long drives. It's also (and this is reaaalllly relative) reliable for an M.

I still prefer the A4. Here's why in a two part bullet list - the first part is a list of thing auto "enthusiasts" will like and the second is a list of objectively good qualities that regular people will appreciate:

List The First:

1. Quick and responsive - 0-60 in 5.3 with a great powerband for freeway maneuvers.
2. Loaded with tech, including meaningful driving modes (comfort through to sport)
3. Quattro handling and utility
4. Oft-lamented electrical steering actually has character and predictable. responsive characteristics
5. Reliable and easy (ish) to service
6. Handsomely muscular in a generic, muscular, young Kirk Douglas sort of way

List the Second:

1. Second quietest car available for sale in US - second only to Rolls Royce Phantom - which is obviously comfortable, but AMAZING for taking and doing calls, meetings in the hands free Bluetooth environment.
2. nVidia Virtual Cockpit is 60fps of utility and delight, Apple and Android carplay standard
3. Comfortable ride over any surfaces, and agile in bad weather
4. Gigantic trunk for your stuff and plenty of room for passengers
5. Gorgeous cabin that is actually quite different from last gen cockpits
6. Good fuel economy from the 2.0 4 cylinder turbo, and over 450 miles range from a full tank
7. Amazing depth of customization of ride, HUD, performance and personality. It's a totally different car when my wife drives.
8. Great skibag pass through and huge capacity with rear seats folded
9. Interior and exterior LED lighting is a joy.

Pros:

This is the only car I have ever owned where I literally like it more every time I drive it. It's the only car where I look forward to twisty hill drives, long dull road trips and even traffic jams because of the environment and dynamics. I freaking love being in it. Wish I'd got Midnight Blue with brown interior now, but the walnut dash looked weird.

Cons:

I prefer the design aesthetics, if not the comfort, of the C300 cabin. Looks like a steampunk lving room and a Spitfire cockpit had a baby.

I prefer the brawny Q50 exterior, but that's a REALLY subjective thing

Buggy Carplay behaviors (not exclusive to Audi or this car) exacerbated by differences between the Apple layer and the Audi built-in stuff. (obviously these get updated and improved, respectively)

Generic designs across the range mean it's hard to tell the difference at a glance betwee 3,4 6 vehicles until you get close, and the 2017 and 2016 cars are 80% different, yet still look like twins.

The new Allroad came out seconds after I bought this, and is maybe what I'd have bought with another $5k in the budget.

The autopilot features and windshield HUD are a lot of extra money (Prestige edition, basically)

ascii42

With regards to ride: worth noting that a lot of these cars come with run flats. If you are willing to risk driving on normal tires without a spare, you can probably find tires that both ride and handle better. I'm debating what I'll do when it comes time to replace the tires on my ATS.

No Love

Banned
A few days ago I took my M5 to West End Alignment and had them do a full refresh on the front end suspension.

Replaced:
Upper control arms
Lower control arms
Tie rod ends
Installed Moosehead UCAB monoball bushing.

Also raised the car up about half an inch drives and it handles so much better. Had them dial in some extra oversteer and now the car feels looser in a good way, the previous alignment was too aggressive. New one feels faster thanks to easier oversteer.

Mkenyon, get on it.

J-Rzez

Pretty interesting that the Audi RS3 is coming to the US. I wonder what Audi is going to price it, and how it will ultimately perform. That I5 sounds good.

ruxtpin

Banned
I just put down my deposit on a 6MT 2016 Challenger Scat Pack. Black on black. Going away for 10 days, coming back to pick it up with clear bra installed and deliver my GLI. Test drove it, along with a reg RT. Felt like two different cars.

Will post pics later.

SliChillax

M3 is stiff - that's part of the appeal. Constant reminder that you're in a "racing" car and not just a gimmick - the suspension and tuning are all fantastic for thrashing it around and I won't lie, it's fun to drive in cities and not unpleasant for long drives.

When will the germans start using magnetic shocks god dammit. You can find it in a 40k Chevy SS and Camaro but not in a 70k M3.

Test drove it, along with a reg RT. Felt like two different cars.

Will post pics later.

How did they differ?

ruxtpin

Banned
How did they differ?

Maybe a slight exaggeration, because the interior is the same. But the extra horses in the Scat Pack - and the noise - not the same at all. Was a bit nervous because the Scat Pack can easily burn rubber, so I was going light on the throttle during the test drive.

The M3 doesnt feel that stiff as a daily to be quite honest. I am comparing to a STI rather than a say a Legacy or A4 however, but regardless, definitely comfortable enough to use as a daily i'd say. You should try to do an extended test drive or something.

When will the germans start using magnetic shocks god dammit. You can find it in a 40k Chevy SS and Camaro but not in a 70k M3.

Completely agree. I think mag ride is why GM is so dominant lately.
Audi offers it, however, so it is offered by Germans, just not all of them.
It's honestly one of the main reasons why I want to jump to a GrandSport next.

And I dont get why with BMW i have to pay $5k for some KW Clubsports if I want an improved suspension, but they dont even match the overall capabilities of magride.
Pay up BMW and or you'll be left further behind.

burgerdog

Pretty interesting that the Audi RS3 is coming to the US. I wonder what Audi is going to price it, and how it will ultimately perform. That I5 sounds good.

Word is $50-55k which is not bad at all considering how fast and how good it sounds. It really feels like the RS4/5 get the shaft big time when it comes to power / price.

RS3/TTRS are pocket rockets at a decent price.

RS4/5 remains to be seen but if they don't have 500hp at least then they're going to be way underpowered against its competition.

RS6/7 These things are just beasts.

SliChillax

Maybe a slight exaggeration, because the interior is the same. But the extra horses in the Scat Pack - and the noise - not the same at all. Was a bit nervous because the Scat Pack can easily burn rubber, so I was going light on the throttle during the test drive.

The Scat pack has 245 sized tires in the back right? That's laughably thin for that much power and torque.
Completely agree. I think mag ride is why GM is so dominant lately.
Audi offers it, however, so it is offered by Germans, just not all of them.
It's honestly one of the main reasons why I want to jump to a GrandSport next.

And I dont get why with BMW i have to pay $5k for some KW Clubsports if I want an improved suspension, but they dont even match the overall capabilities of magride.
Pay up BMW and or you'll be left further behind.
I didn't realize Audi used them, I don't think an RS model to date uses them though? Only normal models.

Ovid

I recently got a 2016 Honda Civic EX. I'm going to clean it well tomorrow. Any tips on how to not screw it up? I'm not sure if I should use a sealant or wax.
It's always crazy to me to see how big the Civic got.

It's almost the same size as an Accord.

burgerdog

The Scat pack has 245 sized tires in the back right? That's laughably thin for that much power and torque.

I didn't realize Audi used them, I don't think an RS model to date uses them though? Only normal models.

You can option magnetic dampers on the RS3 hatchback in Europe.

Top Bottom