• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

burgerdog

That RS5 sounded absolutely fantastic. They should all sounds like that, tbh. Was the RS5 discontinued after 2015? It doesn't seem to be an option on the current Audi USA website but maybe it is still available in other regions?

Or are they bringing a new one out like they are doing with the TT RS?

Edit - Answered my own question with a little Google search. New one will be turbo V6 (boooo!) http://blog.caranddriver.com/next-audi-rs5-to-get-turbo-six-and-possible-sportback-variant/

The NA V8 is gone so the new TTV6 RS5 is not going to sound anything like the B8.5 RS. I'm sure it'll be fast as heck but if I had to pick I would go with the V8.

golem

What on earth...

Anyway, this is why I think the RS5 might well be my next car:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K2x54Qi7pSY

Never heard of this youtuber before but I have to say that's a very very well put together video. He also touches on the "slower car fast" chat that we have had here many a time before.

Its hard for me to get excited about the RS5, its just way too heavy and underpowered for a RS model. Also it doesn't even look that different from the S5. Definitely sounds great in that video though.

Futaba

0z5NmQe.jpg

A wild 86 in it's natural habitat.

Definitely feels a little scarier now the weathers turning

anyone have any ideas for my new licence plate? It needs to start with DON. one or two letters can be added. followed by 2-3 numbers.
eg. DON LL 111
my new car will be a VW GTI. But i dont wanna use GT because that would spell DONGt.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
0z5NmQe.jpg

A wild 86 in it's natural habitat.

Definitely feels a little scarier now the weathers turning

This is the only picture I have ever seen of a Toyobaru and thought, "Damn that is a badass looking car."

anyone have any ideas for my new licence plate? It needs to start with DON. one or two letters can be added. followed by 2-3 numbers.
eg. DON LL 111
my new car will be a VW GTI. But i dont wanna use GT because that would spell DONGt.

DON G III

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
eg. DON LL 111

DON VAG

DON 20GTI

DON VOLKS

Idk. The DON part makes it really hard to be creative.

AlphaSnake

DON K OT

Eh? Eh? Anyone get it?

But seriously, why does the plate require numbers? In Florida and NY you can use just letters.

Muscle car question time.

Would you rather get a...

A: 2010 - current used Dodge "Not a Hellcat" Challenger R/T(V8)
B: Current gen & Brand new V6 Camaro, the "Jalopnik Special"
C: Current gen new/used Ford "Cars and Coffee curb expert" Mustang Ecoboost

And go!

All are obviously stick and are under $25K.

I wanna hear what Auto-GAF says before I put out my own opinions on this lol.

AlphaSnake

And go!

New Mustang EcoBoost. Easily!!

For $699 Ford is now offering a factory tune that brings up peak HP to 340HP and TQ to 390lbs! And gains stock vs tuned show a 100HP improvements in the delta throughout the powerband. That is just insane. And it includes a fucking intake! And it's all factory warrantied! You cannot beat that.

GHG

And go!

Option A or B.

A muscle car with a 4 pot turbo is just wrong.

Its hard for me to get excited about the RS5, its just way too heavy and underpowered for a RS model. Also it doesn't even look that different from the S5. Definitely sounds great in that video though.

Oh I know they are underpowered. But let's be honest here, it's more than fast enough for public road use. It's like the Maserati MC Stradale. You're not buying the car for the raw power, it's about the overall experience. These are not the fastest cars on the road but they turn driving into an event whilst still being able to be comfortable.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AoVxLQscUB0

matmanx1

And go!

B or C, depending on what I liked best after the test drive. I lean towards B just because the new Camaro is a little bit more of a pure driver's car right out of the box but ultimately it would come down to whatever is most fun once I got some seat time.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh I know they are underpowered. But let's be honest here, it's more than fast enough for public road use. It's like the Maserati MC Stradale. You're not buying the car for the raw power, it's about the overall experience. These are not the fastest cars on the road but they turn driving into an event whilst still being able to be comfortable.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AoVxLQscUB0
Yeah, but it's an Audi experience. I'd take an E46/E92 M3 over one of those any day of the week. Or even Chevy SS (manual) despite it being ugly as sin. I don't know if those are sold in the Emirates though.
Grossssssssss

And go!

Iono if you saw the article on Jalopnik today:

http://jalopnik.com/brand-new-chevrolet-camaros-are-absurdly-cheap-right-no-1787662886

I know that the Camaro is the right choice. It's a better driver's car than the Mustang in just about every respect. Definitely better than the Challenger.

But for my money, I'd def get a 2015 Scat Pack or SRT-8 Challenger. It's just so timeless, so gorgeous.

golem

The Camaro seems like the best car out of those but I dont like the way it looks so turbo Mustang for me.

GranTurismos are pretty cheap if you can stomach the maintenance ;)

Ugly

75% smaller would be like a smart car.

You've developed a Mustang that's as dangerous to its owner as it is to bystanders, well played.

Well the 75% number was just something pulled out of my ass as the scale between the first gen Mustang and Celica. Lately I really like the scaled-down early JDM muscle cars. Looking at the dimensions, the first-gen Celica was actually only like 10% smaller in length and width, so that's interesting to know! And the current Smart Fortwo is only 55% of a current Mustang's length so no that is much too small.

Edit: also I meant 75% size not 75% smaller! Oops.

BMW Z5 and Supra should fit that.

Or just put a turbo on a GT86.

It turns out that yes, an 86 is pretty much 10% smaller than the current Mustang just like the first Celica was to the first Mustang! ...but an 86 doesn't look like a muscle car. I guess I needed Nissan to actually make the IDx and make it less ugly somehow, or a Rocket Bunny kit and an S14.

SliChillax

What on earth...

Anyway, this is why I think the RS5 might well be my next car:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K2x54Qi7pSY

Never heard of this youtuber before but I have to say that's a very very well put together video. He also touches on the "slower car fast" chat that we have had here many a time before.
I mean yeah the M4 sounds mediocre but the RS5 is such a dull car on all aspects. I've driven both since two of my friends own both and the RS5 is a car I'm never gonna want to drive again due to no driver involvement whatsoever compared to the M4. And yeah the M4 sounds worse but that turbo torque is so addictive it made the RS5 feel slow. If you're gonna buy a car based on sound only get a used Maserati GranTurismo S

golem

I mean yeah the M4 sounds mediocre but the RS5 is such a dull car on all aspects. I've driven both since two of my friends own both and the RS5 is a car I'm never gonna want to drive again due to no driver involvement whatsoever compared to the M4. And yeah the M4 sounds worse but that turbo torque is so addictive it made the RS5 feel slow. If you're gonna buy a car based on sound only get a used Maserati Grand Turismo S
Yep I cross shopped the S5 with the E92 M3 at the time and it was uninspiring in every way-- the V8 in the M3 sounds better too. The RS5 is incrementally better and as an OG B5 S4 owner I really wanted to like the 5's but it was definitely not Audis best effort

AlphaSnake

Yeah, that does not look good. Well not as good as the previous gen anyway.

so damn uninspired

I mean yeah the M4 sounds mediocre but the RS5 is such a dull car on all aspects. I've driven both since two of my friends own both and the RS5 is a car I'm never gonna want to drive again due to no driver involvement whatsoever compared to the M4. And yeah the M4 sounds worse but that turbo torque is so addictive it made the RS5 feel slow.

100% agree with this. RS5 or current M4? Not even a question. The RS5 is outdated as fuck, and pretty mediocre today.

No Love

Banned
I mean yeah the M4 sounds mediocre but the RS5 is such a dull car on all aspects. I've driven both since two of my friends own both and the RS5 is a car I'm never gonna want to drive again due to no driver involvement whatsoever compared to the M4. And yeah the M4 sounds worse but that turbo torque is so addictive it made the RS5 feel slow. If you're gonna buy a car based on sound only get a used Maserati Grand Turismo S

The RS5 is a joke at this point. The E92 M3 is better, let alone an M4...

E92 M3 with a supercharger seems like a car I'd be interested in building.

Pinewood

Does anyone here have experience with car color fade and returning it to looking fresh? Im looking at a car that otherwise seems in great shape, but the color has faded (red looks now pink-ish) and was wondering how much work and money one should expect to put in to make it look better.

Thanks for y'all's responses to the muscle car question. So here's my thoughts.

A - Dodge Challenger: I think it's no secret on Auto-GAF that I'm madly in love with Challengers. I personally love them because I feel like it's a giant American fuck you to the world with it's proportions and V8. Also I feel like if I have one, I can pull off some Dukes of Hazzard or some Smokey and the Bandit type of shenanigans lolol. Plus wouldn't it be a little ridiculous to see a short Asian guy(I'm about 5' 6") drive a Challenger? Talk about breaking stereotypes haha.

B - Chevy Camaro: Yeah, everything I've read about it seems to be that it's the perfect drivers car you can get under $30K. The V6 has plenty of power, and it seems to tick all my boxes. Honestly my only gripe(besides the lack of rear visibility, but I can live with it) is the fact that I can't find one. Seriously. Within a 100 mile search radius on Autotrader there are no V6 Camaro's with a stick. All I want is a backup camera and bluetooth(I believe even the base model gets them) but there are nowhere to be found especially under $25K. It's all some expensive crap that I don't really need.

C - Ford Mustang: I'm not gonna lie the current stigma it has is a little bit of a turn-off for me... but I'm not dumb and I know that it's a great car but as GHG said, it might not feel right to drive a muscle car with a 4-cylinder. Granted I haven't owned a V6 or V8 muscle car before so this point might actually be moot to begin with. Like the Camaro though, it does tick all my boxes but they're also hard to find. Going with the turbo, I want the Ecoboost Premium trim with Ford Sync(yeah I know it sucks but the standard Ford radio looks like it came out of the 90's with all the numerous buttons). But if I can find a GT? I think I'd buy it on the spot... which brings me to my last point.

I think you can see that I've already ranked the cars to start. Yeah if I'm gonna get a muscle car, priority goes to a V8 Challenger... I really really want one and the only way I wouldn't get one is if it turns out to be disappointing, which I highly doubt as I've driven a few before and I loved them.

Now for another thing, if y'all don't mind me asking, how much do y'all pay for insurance for 2 cars a month? I called Geico yesterday to get an estimate for basic coverage and they're estimating around $230(!!!!) a month for a Miata and say a Ford Focus ST(and similar). It doesn't seem too much to me but my brother is telling me otherwise so I'm curious what y'all's rates are. Do note that I'm 26 with no tickets but one fender bender.

SIdenote, what the fnck happened to GAF last night? I was writing this post and the damn thing crashed when I hit preview. Kinda glad I was able to hit back and recover some of it and pasted it to word coz it is pretty damn lengthy lol.

75% smaller would be like a smart car.

You've developed a Mustang that's as dangerous to its owner as it is to bystanders, well played.

You think shared risk would matter to mustang owners, I'm not sure it would.

I mean yeah the M4 sounds mediocre but the RS5 is such a dull car on all aspects. I've driven both since two of my friends own both and the RS5 is a car I'm never gonna want to drive again due to no driver involvement whatsoever compared to the M4. And yeah the M4 sounds worse but that turbo torque is so addictive it made the RS5 feel slow. If you're gonna buy a car based on sound only get a used Maserati GranTurismo S

This sounds like good advice and is something I should do. How much do they cost now anyway?

Does anyone here have experience with car color fade and returning it to looking fresh? Im looking at a car that otherwise seems in great shape, but the color has faded (red looks now pink-ish) and was wondering how much work and money one should expect to put in to make it look better.

You could see some pretty big improvements with sanding, polishing, etc. Just check out what the guys at Ammo NYC did to Matt Farah's shitty old fox body mustang.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2014/...-ammo-perform-a-10000-detail-on-the-fox-body/

Note that a huge amount of work goes into it.

matmanx1

I use Adam's VRT. Gives it the matte clean look and not the armorall shiny look.

Gonna try nanolex next though.

This is relevant to my interests. I don't want shiny tires all the time but I would like something to keep them clean and fresh looking.

Thanks for y'all's responses to the muscle car question. So here's my thoughts.

For my 2008 MX-5 and my 2004 GX470 I believe we pay about $160 to Statefarm for full coverage. That is with a mutli-car discount / family discount that also has our home insurance on the policy. And neither my wife or myself have any accidents or tickets within the last 10 years.

I do believe any new car you buy is going to raise your insurance rate by a good amount. New cars are just worth a lot more than older ones and that value difference is reflected in the rate.

ascii42

B - Chevy Camaro: Yeah, everything I've read about it seems to be that it's the perfect drivers car you can get under $30K. The V6 has plenty of power, and it seems to tick all my boxes. Honestly my only gripe(besides the lack of rear visibility, but I can live with it) is the fact that I can't find one. Seriously. Within a 100 mile search radius on Autotrader there are no V6 Camaro's with a stick. All I want is a backup camera and bluetooth(I believe even the base model gets them) but there are nowhere to be found especially under $25K. It's all some expensive crap that I don't really need.

If you can afford a new one, order it. That's what I did with my ATS. You can get exactly what you want on it and nothing you don't.

AlphaSnake

It can be a variety of factors: clear coat damage or just neglected paint. Neglected paint can be fixed, but clear coat damage will require a respray. Also, neglected paint likely has a thinner layer of clear coat, so working with it, wet sanding, compounding, etc. could return the finish back, but what it also does is get rid of the grimy clear coat effectively thinning the coat.

We need pictures. And you need to have someone inspect.

Pinewood

It can be a variety of factors: clear coat damage or just neglected paint. Neglected paint can be fixed, but clear coat damage will require a respray. Also, neglected paint likely has a thinner layer of clear coat, so working with it, wet sanding, compounding, etc. could return the finish back, but what it also does is get rid of the grimy clear coat effectively thinning the coat.

We need pictures. And you need to have someone inspect.
Vehicle offer: Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 V6 TB for 3500 EUR
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=229610802

The inspecting thing wont roll cos the car is 700km away. He did say that the pics dont show it very well + I dont think this has a clear coat over the paint, since it isnt metallic

mkenyon

Banned
Try using Chevy's car finder. A lot of dealers don't put their cars on Autotrader. Or just search the various dealer inventories around you for a 2016.
Now for another thing, if y'all don't mind me asking, how much do y'all pay for insurance for 2 cars a month? I called Geico yesterday to get an estimate for basic coverage and they're estimating around $230(!!!!) a month for a Miata and say a Ford Focus ST(and similar). It doesn't seem too much to me but my brother is telling me otherwise so I'm curious what y'all's rates are. Do note that I'm 26 with no tickets but one fender bender.
$179/month for a 2016 2500 Cummins + 2000 M5. This is with really high coverage and $100 deductible on everything.
If you can afford a new one, order it. That's what I did with my ATS. You can get exactly what you want on it and nothing you don't.
Yeah, but you get insanely huge discounts on 2016 models.

Smokey

Try using Chevy's car finder. A lot of dealers don't put their cars on Autotrader. Or just search the various dealer inventories around you for a 2016.

$179/month for a 2016 2500 Cummins + 2000 M5. This is with really high coverage and $100 deductible on everything.

Who are you with?

AlphaSnake

Vehicle offer: Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 V6 TB for 3500 EUR
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=229610802

The inspecting thing wont roll cos the car is 700km away. He did say that the pics dont show it very well + I dont think this has a clear coat over the paint, since it isnt metallic

All paints have a clear coat over them, unless they are satin or matte.

And this car looks fine to me. It has plenty of sheen and reflection in the clear. It's just a crappy camera with overcast skies. I'd say paint isn't a worry here.

This is relevant to my interests. I don't want shiny tires all the time but I would like something to keep them clean and fresh looking.

For my 2008 MX-5 and my 2004 GX470 I believe we pay about $160 to Statefarm for full coverage. That is with a mutli-car discount / family discount that also has our home insurance on the policy. And neither my wife or myself have any accidents or tickets within the last 10 years.

I do believe any new car you buy is going to raise your insurance rate by a good amount. New cars are just worth a lot more than older ones and that value difference is reflected in the rate.

It's not going to keep them clean as keeping them clean requires you actually scrubbing the dirt off, but it acts as a sort of conditioner and prevents them from having that dried out look.

Pinewood

All paints have a clear coat over them, unless they are satin or matte.

And this car looks fine to me. It has plenty of sheen and reflection in the clear. It's just a crappy camera with overcast skies. I'd say paint isn't a worry here.

I dont know, looking from the boot shot you can see a fair amount of tone difference between whats been in the sun and what hasnt. You are right about the paint, glancing over threads online isnt the best pracice...

Evo X

Awesome. Can I ask why you chose it over Opticoat and other paint protection products?

Modesta offers a better shine, and longer lasting protection with it's 10 year warranty. It is a thicker substance with the consistency of honey that has to be carefully applied, then baked on using heat lamps.

It's worth getting if it's an expensive car or you plan on keeping it a long time.

Top Bottom