• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Looking putting on some swift spec r springs on the evo. how easy is it? Saw a write up and seems simple enough

matmanx1

With regards to ride: worth noting that a lot of these cars come with run flats. If you are willing to risk driving on normal tires without a spare, you can probably find tires that both ride and handle better. I'm debating what I'll do when it comes time to replace the tires on my ATS.

Absolutely worth doing, in my experience. I disliked the run flat tires on my 128i and on my current MX-5. The ones on the MX-5 still had serviceable tread but were more than 5 years old so I replaced them not too long ago and immediately noticed a huge difference.

The car rides more smoothly and quietly, absorbs bumps better and most importantly for a sports car, the turn-in from the front end is super quick now with overall handling that is far more progressive and easy to control.

Pretty interesting that the Audi RS3 is coming to the US. I wonder what Audi is going to price it, and how it will ultimately perform. That I5 sounds good.

Yeah, that I5 has me closely watching the TTRS and RS3 over the next couple of years. If the RS3 comes in at around 50 - 55k then that will undercut the TTRS by 10k (estimated) which would make it one heck of a deal.

mkenyon

Banned
A few days ago I took my M5 to West End Alignment and had them do a full refresh on the front end suspension.

Replaced:
Upper control arms
Lower control arms
Tie rod ends
Installed Moosehead UCAB monoball bushing.

Also raised the car up about half an inch drives and it handles so much better. Had them dial in some extra oversteer and now the car feels looser in a good way, the previous alignment was too aggressive. New one feels faster thanks to easier oversteer.

Mkenyon, get on it.
Yap, next thing I'm doing for sure. What dampers did you go with?

ascii42

After 5 years of ownership, I've decided it's time to go back to "only" having two cars. I've listed the Riviera on eBay. I've been thinking about it, and I think if I'm going to have a third car, I'd like something useful, like a truck, or a Roadmaster wagon.

Evo X

Configured a 2017 Panamera 4S for my uncle for European delivery in April. Nicely optioned volcanic grey on chalk. Should be a fun trip. Wish I could have done it for the GT4.

Been driving this for the weekend. What an absurd vehicle. I almost felt bad parking it at the mall. It barely fit in the space.

20161015_152728s5s9y.png

A few days ago I took my M5 to West End Alignment and had them do a full refresh on the front end suspension.

Replaced:
Upper control arms
Lower control arms
Tie rod ends
Installed Moosehead UCAB monoball bushing.

Also raised the car up about half an inch drives and it handles so much better. Had them dial in some extra oversteer and now the car feels looser in a good way, the previous alignment was too aggressive. New one feels faster thanks to easier oversteer.

Mkenyon, get on it.

My Friend owns and operates Moosehead. They make great stuff.

Also rebuilt the Vanos on my daily on Saturday. The only tricky part is locking the timing down and sliding out the old unit. Not too terrible. Now if only I could paint so I could respray my hood and front bumper.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Configured a 2017 Panamera 4S for my uncle for European delivery in April. Nicely optioned volcanic grey on chalk. Should be a fun trip. Wish I could have done it for the GT4.

Been driving this for the weekend. What an absurd vehicle. I almost felt bad parking it at the mall. It barely fit in the space.

20161015_152728s5s9y.png

Does anyone at Bentley think you could have too much mesh grill? What is it anyway? Spur? Continental? Mulsanne? I can never tell the difference outside of door configs.

Edit. Wait is that the SUV?

burgerdog

Does anyone at Bentley think you could have too much mesh grill? What is it anyway? Spur? Continental? Mulsanne? I can never tell the difference outside of door configs.

Edit. Wait is that the SUV?

Bentayga. God, the first thing that comes to mind is that one broke ass rapper that's fucking Kylie Jenner. Feels bad, man.

No Love

Banned
Yap, next thing I'm doing for sure. What dampers did you go with?

I already have BC Racing coilovers but I'm going to switch to Onlin's in a few months.

My Friend owns and operates Moosehead. They make great stuff.

Wait no way, you know Paul? Yeah he busted a mission for me and overnighted the UCABs over. Phenomenal stuff, it is a great piece of hardware that really enhanced the driving feel.

While that is about as far from the unlikely achievement of the actually fairly pretty SUV that is the Range Rover as one can imagine, it's not that much worse than the turd Bentley ended up scraping off the ass end of the production line. The grill might even be less ridiculous now that I'm looking at it.

Wait no way, you know Paul? Yeah he busted a mission for me and overnighted the UCABs over. Phenomenal stuff, it is a great piece of hardware that really enhanced the driving feel.

Yup I know Paul. Great guy. He is the local tool steward for my local bmwcca chapter.
He is buying the shop that one of my good friends currently works for.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
While that is about as far from the unlikely achievement of the actually fairly pretty SUV that is the Range Rover as one can imagine, it's not that much worse than the turd Bentley ended up scraping off the ass end of the production line. The grill might even be less ridiculous now that I'm looking at it.

I wonder what the middle eastern sheikh /rap video rental pie chart looks like in their demographic predictions.

Picking it up on the 26th...

IMG_0060_zpsyz6kkfv5.jpg

IMG_0061_zpsk5dfccda.jpg

IMG_0058_zpsgjvpwt8q.jpg

#jealous

Seriously nice pick up man!

The Challenger still remains at the top of my list. Hopefully I'll be able to find even at least an R/T. I don't really need to be burning rubber on a daily driver lol.

Anyway, how advisable is it to pull a Doug DeMuro and buy a car from Carmax and get their bumper to bumper warranty? Or is that totally out of the question now that DeMuro has exposed it?

So what's the danger of buying a Porsche 911? Just the "entry" Carrera Cabrio? Everyone keeps telling me that "they bite" but other than the potential for the tires to swing out from behind me what's the deal? I have that issue with my Merc, had it with my BMW. Just keep your foot steady, right?

If I'm never going to track it then do I need Sport Chrono?

So what's the danger of buying a Porsche 911? Just the "entry" Carrera Cabrio? Everyone keeps telling me that "they bite" but other than the potential for the tires to swing out from behind me what's the deal? I have that issue with my Merc, had it with my BMW. Just keep your foot steady, right?

If I'm never going to track it then do I need Sport Chrono?

If you're buying a new(er) one, I think the 'biting' issues have long since been solved. If not, then yeah, keep your foot steady.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
#jealous

Seriously nice pick up man!

The Challenger still remains at the top of my list. Hopefully I'll be able to find even at least an R/T. I don't really need to be burning rubber on a daily driver lol.

Anyway, how advisable is it to pull a Doug DeMuro and buy a car from Carmax and get their bumper to bumper warranty? Or is that totally out of the question now that DeMuro has exposed it?

Perfectly advisable. CarMax still stands by all their warranties. Doug has simply proven they work as advertised.

Also, I should remind you, that CarMax vehicles are usually more expensive than other places because part of the cost of the warranty is being subsidized in the price of the car, which is obviously non-negotiable.

The great thing about their warranties too is that it'll cover a car beyond the 100K mile mark. So you pay $2500 extra to warranty the car up to 5 years and 75K miles extra.

Perfectly advisable. CarMax still stands by all their warranties. Doug has simply proven they work as advertised.

Also, I should remind you, that CarMax vehicles are usually more expensive than other places because part of the cost of the warranty is being subsidized in the price of the car, which is obviously non-negotiable.

The great thing about their warranties too is that it'll cover a car beyond the 100K mile mark. So you pay $2500 extra to warranty the car up to 5 years and 75K miles extra.

Awesome.

Follow up question, are 3 or 5 series' with the bumper to bumper warranty a good idea or nah? I see a couple around me that has a stick, well within my budget and has about 50k+ miles.

Futaba

14711318_10158108436960355_4836722896683693278_o.jpg

Only 12,000 miles on the clock. Is there something fishy going on here? Because that's a stonking price for an Aero and I'm incredibly tempted.

Just a heads up that isn't an Aero edition, just has the aero spoiler bolted on, as for why it's that price, depending on the year it could have CEL issues, knocking, or crickets even with the low mileage.
need more info!

AlphaSnake

Awesome.

Follow up question, are 3 or 5 series' with the bumper to bumper warranty a good idea or nah? I see a couple around me that has a stick, well within my budget and has about 50k+ miles.

Which ones? Current F30s? If so, the 335i is a pretty solid car. The N55 and the ZF8 are a very solid combination. The N55's reliability has improved considerably due to the time it's been around. But since you'd spring for a warranty, claims may not be a concern. You'll also be able to tell which cars are reliable, because their warranties will be more or less expensive - I don't have to tell you which and why that's the case. ;)

I like the look of the F10 5-series a bit more, personally. It's not the best handling car, but it's looks just scream classic BMW to me. If you can swing a 550i with a bumper-to-bumper...do it. Very quick car.

AlphaSnake

Damn bro, i'm not even a fan of chargers and that things a beauty! looks like someone won't be posting after the 26th!, will be too busy roaring along the highway

The gold teeth of the car world, basically.

I'd definitely like to see some videos once it's in possession. I know Rux has been waiting for this moment for a while.

And yeah, I agree on the second point. "Gold teeth". LOL.

if anyone needs tires discount tire is doing their semi annual ebay sale where you get $100 off a purchase of $400. you can purchase twice to get the deal on 4 tires.

pretty good deal compared to the usual manufacturer rebates.
usually done october and march for two weeks.

i'm probably gonna wait til the march sale however as track season is just about over and i'm all set for winter.

matmanx1

Awesome.

Newer 3's and 5's (since the F series came out) are better than the old ones but weird stuff still breaks. Take a look at truedelta.com for the 2012 - 2014 or so 3 and 5 series and read the owner accounts. Nothing too terrible going on but a lot of little odds and ends that really sum up the whole BMW ownership experience. I wouldn't own one without a warranty but there's no doubt they look and drive really well.

Also, that black Challenger is awesome. That is by far the best looking Mopar car (and yes, I am including the current Viper in that).

AlphaSnake

Also, that black Challenger is awesome. That is by far the best looking Mopar car (and yes, I am including the current Viper in that).

Oooof, idk about that. The Viper is an absolute beauty, imo. Brutish in every way and just oozes power.

My only complaint about the Viper is the motor. I'll never forget the moment...I was literally the second moderately privileged person in the entire fucking world to sit in the new SRT Viper when it was publicly unveiled in NYC. I was so damn happy, giddy as shit. Playing with the gearbox, checking the build quality of this all new interior that's been so talked about. I was happy with all of it. All of it! And then I looked at the tach.

It may make 640HP. It may be a V10. The torque it makes from an NA lump is terrific. But the motor is from the stone age. And the redline of 6200RPM is the tell-tale sign, with a fuel cut-off at 6400RPM. And the power peak is at 5900RPM. It really brought me back down to earth. :'((

Dodge cut corners on the Viper, and it showed right there. Even when they eventually started it up, it didn't even sound good. It wouldn't have made a big deal for Chrysler to have allowed the SRT team to lower the torque output by increasing the redline, and adjust the compression ratio a bit, just to let the car rev out to at least 6800RPM. That just always disappointed me about the new Vipers.

No Love

Banned
Oooof, idk about that. The Viper is an absolute beauty, imo. Brutish in every way and just oozes power.

My only complaint about the Viper is the motor. I'll never forget the moment...I was literally the second moderately privileged person in the entire fucking world to sit in the new SRT Viper when it was publicly unveiled in NYC. I was so damn happy, giddy as shit. Playing with the gearbox, checking the build quality of this all new interior that's been so talked about. I was happy with all of it. All of it! And then I looked at the tach.

It may make 640HP. It may be a V10. The torque it makes from an NA lump is terrific. But the motor is from the stone age. And the redline of 6200RPM is the tell-tale sign, with a fuel cut-off at 6400RPM. And the power peak is at 5900RPM. It really brought me back down to earth. :'((

Dodge cut corners on the Viper, and it showed right there. Even when they eventually started it up, it didn't even sound good. It wouldn't have made a big deal for Chrysler to have allowed the SRT team to lower the torque output by increasing the redline, and adjust the compression ratio a bit, just to let the car rev out to at least 6800RPM. That just always disappointed me about the new Vipers.

I still want one. Next year!

It's a beautiful car, makes the new Corvette look cheap and shitty. I've seen people compare it to the S2000 which is an amazing comparison IMO.

I still think it looks ridiculous--like someone gave nyquil to a child and the child drunkenly smashed three different cars together. They just kept adding edges, curves, vents and swoops until they ran out of space.

acksman

Traded in my 2016 Tech Shelby GT350 for the 2017. Ford combined the track and tech together and I want to track this car more. Main difference is the transmission/axle coolers and few other suspension things. Such a fun car to drive, just picked it up Saturday so it is at my PPF person getting a full wrap then Flight Shield Sapphire V1 nano coating on top. Usually do CQuartz/Opticoat, but this stuff is crazy good. It was mainly used on private jets and is now becoming more available for cars. It can withstand up to 1200 degrees so will not break down around the hood area of the engine.

ywSEFm8.jpg

DSgl9oh.jpg

2QaTxb9.jpg

As a bonus, almost done with my restore of very first car in high school. 1966 C10 with AC from the factory. Now has tube suspension, 373 posi, Crate kit 383 Stroker/700R4 Trans with computer adjustments, pushing 475HP, lowered about 6in.

Nxvvd0A.jpg

fL91zj9.jpg

AlphaSnake

Traded in my 2016 Tech Shelby GT350 for the 2017. Ford combined the track and tech together and I want to track this car more. Main difference is the transmission/axle coolers and few other suspension things. Such a fun car to drive, just picked it up Saturday so it is at my PPF person getting a full wrap then Flight Shield Sapphire V1 nano coating on top. Usually do CQuartz/Opticoat, but this stuff is crazy good. It was mainly used on private jets and is now becoming more available for cars. It can withstand up to 1200 degrees so will not break down around the hood area of the engine.

ywSEFm8.jpg

DSgl9oh.jpg

2QaTxb9.jpg

As a bonus, almost done with my restore of very first car in high school. 1966 C10 with AC from the factory. Now has tube suspension, 373 posi, Crate kit 383 Stroker/700R4 Trans with computer adjustments, pushing 475HP, lowered about 6in.

Nxvvd0A.jpg

fL91zj9.jpg

Fuck. Yes.

Just a heads up that isn't an Aero edition, just has the aero spoiler bolted on, as for why it's that price, depending on the year it could have CEL issues, knocking, or crickets even with the low mileage.
need more info!
Gotcha. Thanks very much for the info? What's the difference between the standard version and the Aero then, besides the spoiler?

matmanx1

ywSEFm8.jpg

DSgl9oh.jpg

2QaTxb9.jpg

Nxvvd0A.jpg

fL91zj9.jpg

I can tell from your choice of car and restoration project that you have good taste. Really, really awesome stuff. And good on Ford for making the already great GT350 even better by making the track pack standard.

lem0n

If things fall into place like they should, I will be looking at purchasing a Nissan Skyline R32 soon. More specifically, an R32 GTS-T Type M coupe. Has anyone imported a car to the States before? Would it be worth it to go through a company like Rivsu or should I save the money and do it "myself"? It would be loads cheaper to do it myself, of course.

SliChillax

So I used a vbox performance box to measure my 62 to 120mph today and it did it in 10.1 seconds. Have no idea how it compares to other cars though. Didn't do 0 to 62 cause it was raining. I'm only running jb4 and a castles armytrix downpipe on my M235i.

Smokey

if anyone needs tires discount tire is doing their semi annual ebay sale where you get $100 off a purchase of $400. you can purchase twice to get the deal on 4 tires.

pretty good deal compared to the usual manufacturer rebates.
usually done october and march for two weeks.

i'm probably gonna wait til the march sale however as track season is just about over and i'm all set for winter.

Thanks for this. I'm having issues on the ebay site though. I'm getting no results when I input the tire size. Anybody else having this issue?

No Love

Banned
If things fall into place like they should, I will be looking at purchasing a Nissan Skyline R32 soon. More specifically, an R32 GTS-T Type M coupe. Has anyone imported a car to the States before? Would it be worth it to go through a company like Rivsu or should I save the money and do it "myself"? It would be loads cheaper to do it myself, of course.

FYI the GTS is RWD and not AWD like the GTR. Not sure if that factors into your decision.

Chiester

I imported an R32 gts-t in January of this year. Used PacificCoastAuto because it ended up being a couple of grand cheaper than going to rivsu or japanese classics and paying 13k/14k for a gtst coupe. Don't know if you live by a port or not, but I drove to Galveston to pick up my car from the port.

Had to take a day off from school because I could only do it on weekdays because the port of Galveston isn't opened on weekends I believe. Process that needed to get done in Houston was pretty much just going and picking up the car at the port and then taking it to customs to get the paper work filled out. Once I got back home I had to get it inspected by the police and then get it inspected at an inspection station just like any other car. I had a bit of trouble at the DMV, but we just went to another one and they were fine with the paper work.

If I were to do it again i'd go through rivsu or japanese classics since you'll get to actually see and test drive the cars and know exactly what you are getting. I'd probably lean rivsu more just because they have a location in Houston now. But going and picking it up at the port and going through the process of legalizing it does make for a nice story lol. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Also haven't posted here in quite awhile, but Miata-GAF has lost a member. My 01 SE was damaged in the hail storms we had in Texas back in April. Car ended up being totaled but was fine other the cosmetic damage. Listed it on craigslist at 10pm for 4k and less than 12 hours later it sold and I got asking price for it. The dude that bought didn't care for the hail damage because he was gonna turn it into an exocet. Ended up getting an 05 S2000 in suzuka blue to replace it so I guess i'm back in a 2 seat roadster again even though I was looking for a car with more space like a brz/frs lol.

Futaba

Gotcha. Thanks very much for the info? What's the difference between the standard version and the Aero then, besides the spoiler?

Mechanically and feature-wise not much, the true Aero model however included:

Spoiler
Roof fin (Antenna) as satandard (normally optional)
Side skirts
Front bumper addon/garnish
Rear bumper addon/garnish
Anthracite grey 18-inch OZ Ultraleggera rims

As it was a special edition you got all of these by default, for that specific edition, if you see a car that does not have all of them and/or is not white it is likely just Aero parts bolted on to a standard vehicle (which the aero is under the addon parts anyway since theyre all bolt ons)

There are no changes, at all, beyond that.

So I used a vbox performance box to measure my 62 to 120mph today and it did it in 10.1 seconds. Have no idea how it compares to other cars though. Didn't do 0 to 62 cause it was raining. I'm only running jb4 and a castles armytrix downpipe on my M235i.

Get some pics up! I'm getting an M140i in January!!

SliChillax

Get some pics up! I'm getting an M140i in January!!

Don't have any great pics only these two recent ones. I'm waiting for the M performance diffuser and spoiler until I take some proper pics of the car. I also don't think the M235i is very photogenic, especially with the stock wheels which are very meh in my opinion. Makes the car look like those dogs with very short legs. Sorry for the bad parking, I just tquickly parked outside of the shop to take a pic of the 15mm spacers installed.

lem0n

FYI the GTS is RWD and not AWD like the GTR. Not sure if that factors into your decision.

I actually prefer it, believe it or not. GTR is wonderful! It's a legend to me! But I'm partial to the simple, narrow body and RWD. When I have the place to work on it, the RB20DET will be swapped out with an RB30DE. Preferably with ITBs and cams. N/A power!

I imported an R32 gts-t in January of this year. Used PacificCoastAuto because it ended up being a couple of grand cheaper than going to rivsu or japanese classics and paying 13k/14k for a gtst coupe. Don't know if you live by a port or not, but I drove to Galveston to pick up my car from the port.

Had to take a day off from school because I could only do it on weekdays because the port of Galveston isn't opened on weekends I believe. Process that needed to get done in Houston was pretty much just going and picking up the car at the port and then taking it to customs to get the paper work filled out. Once I got back home I had to get it inspected by the police and then get it inspected at an inspection station just like any other car. I had a bit of trouble at the DMV, but we just went to another one and they were fine with the paper work.

If I were to do it again i'd go through rivsu or japanese classics since you'll get to actually see and test drive the cars and know exactly what you are getting. I'd probably lean rivsu more just because they have a location in Houston now. But going and picking it up at the port and going through the process of legalizing it does make for a nice story lol. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Also haven't posted here in quite awhile, but Miata-GAF has lost a member. My 01 SE was damaged in the hail storms we had in Texas back in April. Car ended up being totaled but was fine other the cosmetic damage. Listed it on craigslist at 10pm for 4k and less than 12 hours later it sold and I got asking price for it. The dude that bought didn't care for the hail damage because he was gonna turn it into an exocet. Ended up getting an 05 S2000 in suzuka blue to replace it so I guess i'm back in a 2 seat roadster again even though I was looking for a car with more space like a brz/frs lol.

Wow, thanks for the reply! Good to know, I think I'll stick with Japanese Classics or Rivsu, I just don't want to deal with that hassle. Do you happen to know of those prices on Japanese Classics are before or after fees and all that? I don't want to save $14k for my GTS-T only to find its $16k after fees etc.

Top Bottom