• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

boltz

So I got my tow hook license plate mount in the mail yesterday and installed it today. The thing is surprisingly rock solid, the piece of metal that connects to the tow hitch is pretty dang sturdy and the mount itself feels pretty solid but there's a problem.

It just didn't look good no matter what way I set it, here's 4 pictures and y'all tell me which one y'all prefer:

I dunno if y'all can see it from those pics so lemme illustrate the problem:

Yeah, it's too far from the bumper so it looks obvious as hell from all angles except the front that it ain't sitting flush so it doesn't really look that good in person.

So now I'm thinking of either cutting the metal bar by half maybe so it'll be more flush with the body and look better. Thankfully, I didn't pay $90 or whatever bullshit RHO plae or Cravenspeed was charging for their tow hook mounts... this shit was an eBay special haha.

I actually prefer how you have it with the zip-tied plate, but I would center that one, unless it's gonna block some cooling item behind the grill. On the flip side, the tow hook mount can double as a standoff device, in the event someone rolls back into you or the other way around :p

I imported an R32 gts-t in January of this year. Used PacificCoastAuto because it ended up being a couple of grand cheaper than going to rivsu or japanese classics and paying 13k/14k for a gtst coupe. Don't know if you live by a port or not, but I drove to Galveston to pick up my car from the port.

How do you deal with maintenance? DIY or is there a shop near you that can work on Skylines?

Currently browsing Japanese Classics and you're telling me I can get a Nissan Laurel for under $10 grand?!

Shit I might cancel my car search and pick one of these babies up and do something I've been wanting to do... a VIP build.

I actually prefer how you have it with the zip-tied plate, but I would center that one, unless it's gonna block some cooling item behind the grill. On the flip side, the tow hook mount can double as a standoff device, in the event someone rolls back into you or the other way around :p

I originally had it centered but it looked plain lol. I thought if I was gonna do something this stupid, might as well stand out right? Haha.

But yeah, it might affect some cooling(that silver tube behind the grille is also my intake) so I kept it offset to the right.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Apple really needs to fix carplay. I thought it was my Audi software or the handshake, but I plugged my phone into somebody else's car yesterday and got exactly the same symptoms. "Funniest" one is it turning off the radio when I get within WiFi range of my own house because my iPhone is apparently excited I'm home. And the "no audio through car unless you unplug the phone and plug it in again" one.

About half of the new Carplay Apps I attempt to run simply don't startup about half the time.

And then some googling showed this stuff (or rather, stuff like it) is almost universal regardless of car/head unit brand.

Stinkles

Shit I might cancel my car search and pick one of these babies up and do something I've been wanting to do... a VIP build.

Was seriously considering doing a mini VIP/Murder on my car for shits and giggles, just window tints and lace doilies on the headrests. Basically so I can explain VIP to people who ask why there's panties on my seats.

Anyone got an amazing recc on 100% legal mild tinting options? I'd like something that very partially obscures the interior, but doesn't affect the light or visibility from the interior, and doesn't look cheap.

I'm guessing elastic doilies are a VIP forum search.

golem

Anyone got an amazing recc on 100% legal mild tinting options? I'd like something that very partially obscures the interior, but doesn't affect the light or visibility from the interior, and doesn't look cheap.

In California any darkness tint is legal on rear-side and back windows but not on front-side or windshield windows (although transparent uv protection tint is fine). The exception is if you have a medical waiver signed by a doctor.

That said many people have front-side window tint anyways

Stinkles

In California any darkness tint is legal on rear-side and back windows but not on front-side or windshield windows (although transparent uv protection tint is fine). The exception is if you have a medical waiver signed by a doctor.

That said many people have front-side window tint anyways

Looks like WA is 24%. I don't need anything that dark. Vaguely considering a matte wrap now. Rabbit hole...

Cannot find doilys at all though even on jdm and VIP forums. Maybe they're called something else in USA? Basically lace covers for headrests like you see in Japanese cabs and limos

Was seriously considering doing a mini VIP/Murder on my car for shits and giggles, just window tints and lace doilies on the headrests. Basically so I can explain VIP to people who ask why there's panties on my seats.

I'm guessing elastic doilies are a VIP forum search.

VIP styling is only cool until you realize that the Japanese people that came up with it call it "beepu"

Also I always thought the doilies are more of a taxi cab thing or grandpa's Mark II Grande than wannabe yakuza style.

Bahahaha. That's exactly one of the reasons why I want to do a VIP build.

VIP is just utterly ridiculous, probably as ridiculous as bosozoku imo but where bosozoku is more akin to the 70's punk era, VIP on the other hand seems like a mishmash of ganster culture from all over the world(though it definitely has more Yakuza influences in it).

Lmao all I really want to do in life is be the Eikichi Onizuka of cars hahaha.

VIP styling is only cool until you realize that the Japanese people that came up with it call it "beepu"

Also I always thought the doilies are more of a taxi cab thing or grandpa's Mark II Grande than wannabe yakuza style.

Yeah I as well thought the doilies are a taxi thing but for some it reason it seems very prevalent in "beepu" culture. Then again isn't a taxi service one of the popular fronts for Yakuza?

Like I thought that was one of the reasons why Kiryu was a taxi driver at the beginning of Yakuza 5. It just made perfect sense to me lol. Though to be fair, I haven't had the chance to play it since I have a 40GB PS3. :(

Edit:

Fatcat Motorsports is a fucking sham.

$130 bucks for a set of fucking bumpstops?!

Meanwhile if you get the bumpstops individually, they're $19 a piece so basically $80 for a whole set instead of $130.

4800283-6297759815-nick-.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So an odd thing happened a few days ago. An F-Type owner asked me if I wanted to trade my XKR for his F-Type V8 Convertible. Unfortunately, it was the launch year V8S (500HP) and it was a convertible. It was also red. He was talking to me at the gas station, and I guessed why he wanted the XKR (rear seats just large enough for a child). I see this car often enough in the area too - he's had it for a while.

I told him it's literally the same reason I bought mine. But I ended up giving him advice: his in-laws and parents live nearby, and each have 2 cars per household. So I told him if he ever needed a spare car in a pinch, borrow one of theirs the night before. And that F-Types have child restraints/ISO Fix latches for a baby seat in the passenger seat anyway, so it's not illegal to drive a child in an F-Type. I also explained the airbag will deactivate once the child seat is mounted in and he just says "Wow...I'm keeping this car. I'm telling and showing my wife".

Literally the best part.

Are they trying to pronounce VIP as "Veepu" and because they're don't really pronounce "Vees" it comes out sounding like a "Bee"? Because that's funny.

Hesemonni

Banned
The ultimate M5 form factor?

FyT2Z6E.jpg

rWiTWPJ.jpg

I'm baffled why BMW leaves all the money on the table not offering a touring option in their current M cars. Just take look at Audi & Mercedes and what they are doing with their respective lines.

And besides touring looks helluvalot better than sedan ;) Especially in E60 form when the "Bangle butt" is gone.

I was offered one, but decided against it. Mainly due to running costs, but also because I'll probably go with the new G31 when it comes available next year.

SliChillax

I really don't get why people think station wagons look better than sedans. More practical? Yeah obviously but better looking? I'll never understand.

I really don't get why people think station wagons look better than sedans. More practical? Yeah obviously but better looking? I'll never understand.

Not necessarily better looking, actually they are definitely not better looking, but I do think they have a bit more 'class.'

Pinewood

I think it strongly depends on the car as well. Some carslook "right" as a station wagon, like Subaru Legacy and Outback, VW Alltrack (Id include the Audi Allroad here too but the new models have so much chrome it looks bad) ,while others like Alfa Romeos, for example, come off as a weird "we did it too" thing.
Is it practical? Absolutely. But a gray diesel 159 station wagon just feels wrong.

AlphaSnake

I agree. I've only ever seen one good looking sedan to wagon change, and that's a Jaguar XF Estate.

Otherwise, I don't like wagons.

DrMungo

Random question

I saw an add for a 2001 911 turbo for about 39K
Looks tempting - i hear these do NOT have IMS issues and the Mezger engines are "bulletproof"

However is the maintenance as "hassle-free" as that suggests?

Would a better bet be a 997.2 for another 8-10K more
Or a 996 that already has the IMS/RMS issue resolved for less than half the price?

any thoughts are appreciated

Looking for some tire wear advice so I have a more knowledgeable perspective.

My 335 got hit along the right rear quarter panel. The wheel had been scuffed/scratched by the impact, and I guess there was also damage to the tire since the repair authorization from the other insurance included a new tire.

The tires have about 11k miles on them (they're the stock run flats, I think 225/45R18s). I don't push the car terribly hard (in the sense of, say, taking it to the track or anytime) but I'm not particularly ginger with it, especially in terms of stuff like accelerating from a full stop, so I'm sure there's a decent bit of wear on them at this point.

Are there going to be any potential performance issues with a difference in wear on the two rear tires? (I can find out what the tread remaining on the left tire is). Should I push to have them replace the left rear tire as well? (And if they won't should I just drop the $200 on a new tire myself once I get the car back?)

My 335 got hit along the right rear quarter panel. The wheel had been scuffed/scratched by the impact, and I guess there was also damage to the tire since the repair authorization from the other insurance included a new tire.

The tires have about 11k miles on them (they're the stock run flats, I think 225/45R18s). I don't push the car terribly hard (in the sense of, say, taking it to the track or anytime) but I'm not particularly ginger with it, especially in terms of stuff like accelerating from a full stop, so I'm sure there's a decent bit of wear on them at this point.

Are there going to be any potential performance issues with a difference in wear on the two rear tires? (I can find out what the tread remaining on the left tire is). Should I push to have them replace the left rear tire as well? (And if they won't should I just drop the $200 on a new tire myself once I get the car back?)

I have always heard that you never want to just replace one tire but to always replace at least two. I am not sure if the insurance company will agree but I bet you could find some safety into and suggested best practices out there to help make your case.

Edit: I have found a lot of information suggesting that you get the tire place to shave the new tire so that it matches the older tire's tread depth.

matmanx1

Random question

I saw an add for a 2001 911 turbo for about 39K
Looks tempting - i hear these do NOT have IMS issues and the Mezger engines are "bulletproof"

However is the maintenance as "hassle-free" as that suggests?

Would a better bet be a 997.2 for another 8-10K more
Or a 996 that already has the IMS/RMS issue resolved for less than half the price?

any thoughts are appreciated

How many miles on the 911 turbo? The engines are "bulletproof" in the sense that they don't have catastrophic failures like the IMS issue but there's still a lot of plumbing and electrical that can go wrong in that car.

If it has low miles and has been well maintained then I wouldn't be afraid of it. Higher mileage examples might need waterpump or thermostat replacements as well as various suspension components and I believe the turbochargers themselves at some point past 100k miles.

As with any older, high tech (for its day) car, servicing and maintenance is key. If it needs service work then that will be pricey as Porsche maintenance is not cheap.

I do like the 996 turbo cars the best of all the 996 911's, for what it's worth. There's still a ton of technology, speed and comfort to be had and I believe the prices are going to stabilize and go up, not down.

AlphaSnake

This has been coming up a lot more often here. I don't recommend shaving a tire. You won't feel much of a difference and there are no consequences, really. Also, is your car RWD or AWD?

Futaba

Well, not really as if I needed to prove how terrible Japanese drivers are, but here's the latest mishap, for once I actually had my dashcam on so..

Yes, the car is in fact on top of the motorbike and partially the owner of said motorbike, and got there by driving the wrong way down the road.

Won't post any other frames from the footage because I cannot for sure tell you how bad the accident was, as there were so many people around the rider that i couldn't tell.
Hopefully he or she didn't get messed up too badly.

DrMungo

How many miles on the 911 turbo? The engines are "bulletproof" in the sense that they don't have catastrophic failures like the IMS issue but there's still a lot of plumbing and electrical that can go wrong in that car.

If it has low miles and has been well maintained then I wouldn't be afraid of it. Higher mileage examples might need waterpump or thermostat replacements as well as various suspension components and I believe the turbochargers themselves at some point past 100k miles.

As with any older, high tech (for its day) car, servicing and maintenance is key. If it needs service work then that will be pricey as Porsche maintenance is not cheap.

I do like the 996 turbo cars the best of all the 996 911's, for what it's worth. There's still a ton of technology, speed and comfort to be had and I believe the prices are going to stabilize and go up, not down.

Posted mileage on 911 turbo was 70k

Pinewood

I don't like typical bright red colors. They stand out and shout way too much. Even on Ferraris. I like darker reds or even dark orange. But a true red? Bleh. Pass.

While I understand where you're coming from, a F-type will probably stand out and shout regardless of color.

I guess I'm just the type of person who, if given the chance to own a sportscar, would go all the way and get the bright red or electric blue (god the new Cayman blue looks great) version.

AlphaSnake

While I understand where you're coming from, a F-type will probably stand out and shout regardless of color.

I guess I'm just the type of person who, if given the chance to own a sportscar, would go all the way and get the bright red or electric blue (god the new Cayman blue looks great) version.

While the car stands out no matter what (my XKR is black, and it gets plenty of attention as), the color is what I feel just takes it to that "hey! Look at me" level. I test drove a black V6 F-Type a number of times earlier this year before getting the XKR and that got tons of looks, but it didn't feel like it was asking for them.

Idk...hahaha, just personal preference. :p

Just drove an 09 911 at work and while it was fncking awesome, I don't think I can daily drive it...

That clutch requires the leg strength of a thousand suns to use lol.

Had to back it in a tight spot in the showroom and dear lord, my left leg got more of a workout putting it there than getting stuck for 15 miles in stop and go traffic with my Miata.

That said I think I'd be up for the challenge but thankfully I can't afford it so I'll pass haha.

This has been coming up a lot more often here. I don't recommend shaving a tire. You won't feel much of a difference and there are no consequences, really. Also, is your car RWD or AWD?

RWD, why I was only asking in regards to my left rear tire.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Just drove an 09 911 at work and while it was fncking awesome, I don't think I can daily drive it...

Had to back it in a tight spot in the showroom and dear lord, my left leg got more of a workout putting it there than getting stuck for 15 miles in stop and go traffic with my Miata.

That said I think I'd be up for the challenge but thankfully I can't afford it so I'll pass haha.

You big babby! Just kidding, they have a spring assist on the clutch pedal and probably the owner took it off. I did the same thing with my 996 and yeah it was a hell of a stiff clutch afterwards. Felt really good and direct--you get used to it after a while.

Working on 911s just seem like such a pain in the ass.
It's probably the biggest reason I will never own one.

They're way easier than any FWD car with a transverse mounted V6. You can do most of the basic maintenance in your sleep.

golem

Maybe its a VAG thing. The clutches on my S4 and GT4 were both pretty stiff. Meanwhile my M3 feels like a Honda or something

Chiester

How do you deal with maintenance? DIY or is there a shop near you that can work on Skylines?

Currently browsing Japanese Classics and you're telling me I can get a Nissan Laurel for under $10 grand?!

Haven't had anything that my personal mechanic couldn't fix/do. But anything like tuning or more specific r32/rb problems I won't know since I actually sold the car last Saturday.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The car mod bug is real

Ordered some springs for my evo. Went with racecomp gtworx based on performance and that they aren't all that low. Planning to install myself, which is always an adventure. What's a reasonable amount of time to drive on them and let them settle in before getting an alignment? Can I take it to a tire shop, like lea Schwab, and have them align as needed or should I research some targets to specifically ask for?

FStop7

Banned
You should. You'll usually end up with excessive negative camber and toe-in, leading to accelerated inner tire wear if you drop a car but don't realign it.

Top Bottom