• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The car mod bug is real

Ordered some springs for my evo. Went with racecomp gtworx based on performance and that they aren't all that low. Planning to install myself, which is always an adventure. What's a reasonable amount of time to drive on them and let them settle in before getting an alignment? Can I take it to a tire shop, like lea Schwab, and have them align as needed or should I research some targets to specifically ask for?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Always.

Make appointment for an alignment. Drive for 48 hours while you wait for the alignment day, drive over a few school bumps if you have any (just to 'break them in', as it were) and get it aligned immediately.

You big babby! Just kidding, they have a spring assist on the clutch pedal and probably the owner took it off. I did the same thing with my 996 and yeah it was a hell of a stiff clutch afterwards. Felt really good and direct--you get used to it after a while.

I didn't know about the spring assist thing but I definitely knew there was something different about it.

I had a chance to drive a 997 a few years ago before this gig and that clutch was easier to use than this one.

It does feel really good though outside of the weight lol.

Haven't had anything that my personal mechanic couldn't fix/do. But anything like tuning or more specific r32/rb problems I won't know since I actually sold the car last Saturday.

Oh, can I ask why you sold it?

Make appointment for an alignment. Drive for 48 hours while you wait for the alignment day, drive over a few school bumps if you have any (just to 'break them in', as it were) and get it aligned immediately.

48 hours?

From what I've heard(though this maybe NC Miata specific) you gotta wait until you hit 500 miles then you get an alignment.

golem

The car mod bug is real

Ordered some springs for my evo. Went with racecomp gtworx based on performance and that they aren't all that low. Planning to install myself, which is always an adventure. What's a reasonable amount of time to drive on them and let them settle in before getting an alignment? Can I take it to a tire shop, like lea Schwab, and have them align as needed or should I research some targets to specifically ask for?

Took me about 3-4 hours to do coilovers last time I did it myself. Springs should be pretty simple assuming you have the right tools (you might want to consider a spring compressor)

Also take your car to an alignment shop at least with a Hunter or other computerized setup.

Evo X

Mercedes showed off their new X-Class pick up trucks today.

Also unveiled the new E63 AMG.

604 hp and 647tq along with a new 9 speed DCT and sophisticated AWD system that can send 100% of the power to the rear in race/drift mode. Should give the new Panamera some stiff competition.

AlphaSnake

48 hours?

From what I've heard(though this maybe NC Miata specific) you gotta wait until you hit 500 miles then you get an alignment.

Springs settle the moment they get a proper full compression (thus the speed bumps recommendation). You can either drive with 4-5 people in the car for a little bit. Or drive around for 2 days and hit some bumps. Anything after that is normal wear on the suspension. I wouldn't wait 500 miles, because in that amount of time bad toe or camber can mess the tire up good.

Springs settle the moment they get a proper full compression (thus the speed bumps recommendation). You can either drive with 4-5 people in the car for a little bit. Or drive around for 2 days and hit some bumps. Anything after that is normal wear on the suspension. I wouldn't wait 500 miles, because in that amount of time bad toe or camber can mess the tire up good.

While I agree you don't need to drive that much, 500 miles won't really mess the tires up. They're just lowering springs so the toe and camber probably won't change much.

How reliable is a bugeye 2002 WRX sedan with 120k miles?

Seller is offering it for $7K so I'm quite interested because bugeye lol.

I realized having 2 old/project cars is something that I don't want to do anymore lol. And between the R32 and the TA22 we chose to keep the celica.

Ahh, I thought you sold it coz of something negative lol.

That's interesting. Though like I said I guess this would work better for most cars that isn't an NC Miata. IIRC, Mazda did some black magic with the suspension hence why they recommend 500 miles instead of whatever else.

While I agree you don't need to drive that much, 500 miles won't really mess the tires up. They're just lowering springs so the toe and camber probably won't change much.

Yeah, 500 miles is a cakewalk... that's literally 2 weeks of commuting for me lol.

AlphaSnake

There are cars like Zs, where a drop 1 inch drop will really knock things out of place.

I didn't know about the spring assist thing but I definitely knew there was something different about it.

I had a chance to drive a 997 a few years ago before this gig and that clutch was easier to use than this one.

It does feel really good though outside of the weight lol.

Yeah the 997 has the same spring as the 996 so that's probably what it was. The engagement point can be hard to get right with the spring installed and once you take it out it feels much more linear. But then you have to disable the clutch depressed sensor because it never fully comes up with the spring out, which means cruise control turns on and off all the time. But "blinding" that sensor means when you clutch it on the highway with cruise control on it revs the hell out of the engine, which is actually pretty funny.

Man I miss that car. People shouldn't knock on the 996, I can't think of an all around better sports car for under $15k.

Edit: So it's not the prettiest Porsche, the interior is weird and it has expensive maintenance (parts, really, if you're buying one for under $15k you better work on it yourself), but the chassis, engine and comfort are unparalleled at that price point.

Just picked up this 2016 F150 XLT SuperCrew with the 5.0 V8 and I love it. Test drove the Chevy Silverado 1500 but the F150 was just more fun to drive and "tighter". The Silverado felt bigger and heavier around the turns. Very happy with my purchase.

IMG_20161016_083658.jpg

Lol (without me bothering to inquire based on the feedback I got from here) the update I just received this morning is that I'm getting two new rear tires.

So I'm thinking that once I hit the six-month mark at the new place, I'm gonna pick up a FR-S or BRZ.

I wanted something fairly cheap, good on gas ( Since my commute is now 40 miles one way), and decently fun in the twisties.

What's the used market look like for them now?

Senger

How reliable is a bugeye 2002 WRX sedan with 120k miles?

Seller is offering it for $7K so I'm quite interested because bugeye lol.

I had a 2002 wrx sedan with 113k miles. Cobb stage 2 w/exhaust. Ringland failure. Supposedly pretty common. Sold it for $4k instead of rebuilding engine. Was reliable up to that point. Bought new, daily driven and had ~7 track days and many auto-x.

mkenyon

Banned
Just picked up this 2016 F150 XLT SuperCrew with the 5.0 V8 and I love it. Test drove the Chevy Silverado 1500 but the F150 was just more fun to drive and "tighter". The Silverado felt bigger and heavier around the turns. Very happy with my purchase.

IMG_20161016_083658.jpg
Here I was thinking I was the only person on GAF with a truck!

Nice pickup. Agree about the Silverado, both the 1500 and 2500 feel like you're driving a simulation rather than a truck, no feel to it.
So I'm thinking that once I hit the six-month mark at the new place, I'm gonna pick up a FR-S or BRZ.

I wanted something fairly cheap, good on gas ( Since my commute is now 40 miles one way), and decently fun in the twisties.

Not great, they're holding at the 16-20k mark really well. Any example I saw below that ended up being pretty shitty for one reason or another. FWIW, prior to looking at the E39 M5, I was pretty much sold on a manual 128i, with the other major contender being the BRZ/FRS. You have to be patient, because there's obviously fewer of them, but they're right around the same price point as the BRZ/FRS.

AlphaSnake

Get the new 2017s. Improved gearing, interior, and a little extra power. Plus some outside changes too.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Every time I take the cycle out for a spin it is a magnet for the worst car drivers in the world. It isn't a matter of "be vigilant, somebody might pull out in front of you." it is a matter of "people will pull out in front of you more often than not."

Even had a guy on the opposite side of a stoplight making a turn try to take his turn before I could pull through the intersection.

mkenyon

Banned
Every time I take the cycle out for a spin it is a magnet for the worst car drivers in the world. It isn't a matter of "be vigilant, somebody might pull out in front of you." it is a matter of "people will pull out in front of you more often than not."

Even had a guy on the opposite side of a stoplight making a turn try to take his turn before I could pull through the intersection.
Most people on the road see driving as an inconvenience. Being harder to see just magnifies that.

boltz

The car mod bug is real

I've been looking at lightweight wheels for my Evo for a while (really like the Wedsport TC105Ns, which are ~5 lbs lighter than the stock GSR wheels) but I've decided that most aftermarket wheels don't look that great on the stock suspension. And I'm not going to drop my car any amount because I don't want any less ground clearance than it already has.

So now I'm looking at single-exit exhausts as saving 20+ lbs in weight really appeals to me. But damn, why do they all have to look like fart cans?

mkenyon

Banned
I've been looking at lightweight wheels for my Evo for a while (really like the Wedsport TC105Ns, which are ~5 lbs lighter than the stock GSR wheels) but I've decided that most aftermarket wheels don't look that great on the stock suspension. And I'm not going to drop my car any amount because I don't want any less ground clearance than it already has.

So now I'm looking at single-exit exhausts as saving 20+ lbs in weight really appeals to me. But damn, why do they all have to look like fart cans?
You could always just have a local exhaust shop do it up exactly the way you want. Tends to be cheaper than prefab aftermarket stuff too. Just pick your desired tip(s) and they'll make it work.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mercedes showed off their new X-Class pick up trucks today.

Also unveiled the new E63 AMG.

604 hp and 647tq along with a new 9 speed DCT and sophisticated AWD system that can send 100% of the power to the rear in race/drift mode. Should give the new Panamera some stiff competition.

I get the feeling that the Merc is for folks who want a fast, luxury vehicle - maybe they're looking at RS6s, S8s, M5s, Jags other Mercs and maybe even Maseratis. But I have a strong suspicion that almost all Panameras are people who need a four door car but only want a Porsche.

Ridiculous assumption based on nothing at all. But I believe it with all my heart.

Some pics from that 911 I was talking about before:

I had a 2002 wrx sedan with 113k miles. Cobb stage 2 w/exhaust. Ringland failure. Supposedly pretty common. Sold it for $4k instead of rebuilding engine. Was reliable up to that point. Bought new, daily driven and had ~7 track days and many auto-x.

Yeah, thankfully I don't really need the car and am just getting it for beater purposes so I'm not even gonna waste my time making it up to the seller if he doesn't have any service records of it.

My hope is that the timing belt is already done then I'd gladly pay $7K for it... otherwise I'll try to get it down to $4-5K as it is what TrueCar, Edmunds, and KBB are saying, and if he doesn't budge, well I'm just gonna go home lol.

I literally spent all day at work, during breaks of course, researching on WRX reliability and besides the timing belt and ringland failure, it seems to be fairly reliable, provided of course the previous owners didn't treat it like dogshit.

J-Rzez

Ringlands can and will happen on WRX/STI regardless of miles, mods, or how driven. Its a common issue with those cars up til the FA20DIT in the newer WRX. When I found out the 2015 STI had that old EJ25 in it, I cancelled my order immediately and switched to a WRX. That motor is really sweet. After knowing numerous people with ringland issues, including 2 good friends in which I knew one who was modded and beat on going at 21k mi, and one bone stock went at 13k or so.

Anyways... SEMA coming up soon. Hope to see some cool parts and such come out.

No Love

Banned
Ringlands can and will happen on WRX/STI regardless of miles, mods, or how driven. Its a common issue with those cars up til the FA20DIT in the newer WRX. When I found out the 2015 STI had that old EJ25 in it, I cancelled my order immediately and switched to a WRX. That motor is really sweet. After knowing numerous people with ringland issues, including 2 good friends in which I knew one who was modded and beat on going at 21k mi, and one bone stock went at 13k or so.

Anyways... SEMA coming up soon. Hope to see some cool parts and such come out.

Yup. That's why those cars are fucking junk. And also just another reason Evo's shit on Subarus. Evo has two of the most mindblowing four cylinder motors ever made.

got an insurance question on a used car.

friend is about to pick up a mint MK4 R32 with less than 50k miles. car is gonna cost $19k but nada only values it at $12k.
is that likely what the bank will go with and he'll be underinsured?

Pinewood

Whats your take on seat upholsetry? Im going back and forth wether I want to look at cars with leather upholstery or should I go the route of textile.

Going by usability, textile is the clear winner, especially since Im looking at a car that doesnt offer seat heating, but tan leather interior looks soo damn good...

Does nobody know why ringlands fail?

From what I've been reading, it could be 5 different reasons without any correlation whatsoever... so it seems like a total crapshoot.

It kinda reminds me of the LSPI issue the Mazdaspeed3/6 and Focus ST has, though that has been solved I think.

Yup. That's why those cars are fucking junk. And also just another reason Evo's shit on Subarus. Evo has two of the most mindblowing four cylinder motors ever made.

On the other hand, Evo's are jumping up in price.

A month ago, mid-mileage(50k+ miles) Evo X's hovered around $26K now those same cars are $29K now. That's a $3K jump in a month!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Wheels will definitely be next for me. I'd like a second set so I can alternate between snow and summer tired rather than running all seasons year round. Ill probably end up with rpf1s or maybe some used MR BBS wheels, but I'd really like something gold or matte white though. Like some te37s, drool.

Anywho, good luck on the weight shaving. I'm afraid to go down the rabbit hole, but it is amazing how different performance is with and without an adult passenger...

matmanx1

IMG_20161016_083658.jpg

Very nice! Congratulations. I really like the color. That blue is excellent.

Whats your take on seat upholsetry? Im going back and forth wether I want to look at cars with leather upholstery or should I go the route of textile.

Going by usability, textile is the clear winner, especially since Im looking at a car that doesnt offer seat heating, but tan leather interior looks soo damn good...

Seat upholstery has never been a big selling point for me but leather is definitely more upscale and looks much classier in almost all cars. Properly taken care of it can last a long time. It also does a better job at repelling liquid spills which tend to seep in to fabric and cause stains. For those reasons, I prefer leather but wouldn't say no to a car without it.

The new MX-5 Club edition, for example, does not have a leather option but that wouldn't make one bit of difference to me since everything else about it is so good.

After two months of not having my Evo 9. I don't really miss it that much.

It was an okay car but I think its a tad overrated by some people.

A stock performance package Mustang GT shits on it around a track.

AlphaSnake

Saw my first Q60 in the flesh.

I want one. Heard the transmission isn't great though.

It's pretty good when in manual mode, but pretty bad response times when in auto. At least the final drive ratio on it is a nice one, unlike my M56S which always felt sluggish at highway speeds, despite its massive powertrain and output.

Q50s and Q60s are running high 12s stock, and Fast Intentions has released an exhaust system for them and they're making some crazy gains with just bolt-ons - ~30WHP and 35WTQ or something silly. There's a video on YouTube with dynos.

Edit: They're also dynoing some crazy numbers stock. Something like 375WHP and 390WTQ? So they are pretty underrated from the factory.

Stinkles

Saw my first Q60 in the flesh.

I want one

GoT Season 7 spoilers.

Snow looks around. He is once again surrounded, with no hope of rescue. The walkers close in on his men in a vast crescent. The White King is visible riding at the center of the crescent, his cold blue eyes baleful, burning with a now-personal hatred of Snow, not just the few living souls left to oppose him.

It is over. Snow is finished. This is where they will fall. And the crescent closes in. Snow drops to his knees, exhausted. Defeated, finally after all these years. Here at the foot of the crumbled ruins of the wall, beyond saving.

And then. The King is no longer staring at Snow. He is staring at the sky. And his piercing blue gaze glitters with something else. With something like fear. In close up, a glimmer of scarlet. His eyes grow wider, now flecked with flickering fire.

Real fire. The last two dragons swoop from the air and engulf the White King and his remaining walkers in a cleansing flame. And they burn.

Snow turns, rising to his feet and sees a magnificent sight descending from the ridge once spellled their end. Danaerys Targarean. Danaerys Stormborn and her Dothraki Horde, intermingling with men of the North. Men from beyond the wall. Men from the burnt southern lands, sellswords and turncoats. An army like nothing else that ever marched the world, let alone the North.

He has never seen her in the flesh, but there can be no mistaking her. A terrible beauty, her dragons vast and terrifying, landing at her side.

And she speaks.

Jon of House Stark. If you are the rightful king in the North then I give you a choice. Take my hand in marriage, unite our houses, and march by my side to King's Landing, or die here in this wretched snow.

Her voice echoes. There is no argument to be brooked. He looks at her. At the Dragons. At this sea of soldiers, and at the carnage of frozen dead now behind him. What choice is there?

"I do," he says. A jammy little bitch with a perm to the very last.

Stinkles

I was too scared to read any of it and thought you accidentally cross-posted. I've been super paranoid about the internet spoiling shit since the leak.

LOL if it ends like what I just wrote I'm driving off a cliff. Or drinking the milk of the poppy.

Top Bottom