• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Futaba

I'm having a laugh over this 'tires' thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1301187

One GAFer doesn't understand tires. The other doesn't get oil. Another one is like "rear tires wear slower than front".
Rears do wear slower, mostly on front engined cars, since cornering causes the wear direction to change,you also have the added wear of the tire biting in on acceleration?

*goes to look at thread to see if lines got crossed somewhere *

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
After two months of not having my Evo 9. I don't really miss it that much.

It was an okay car but I think its a tad overrated by some people.

A stock performance package Mustang GT shits on it around a track.

thats why i bought an evo x

;)

OR, because the winters i face would shit all over a mustang GT!

Okay so final word is that my right rear tire is getting replaced as a betterment because the treads were really worn and I'm paying for a new left rear.

I can see it, as I had noticed my rear had been getting more wobbly when accelerating hard. So was going to wind up checking the tread wear.

I guess going through rear tires in 11k miles is the price I pay for being unable to resist being in Sport+ mode and knocking my gearshift into the more aggressive mode at every single red light for the last year and a half haha.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
They could on a FWD car or an AWD car with a FWD bias.

They def wore faster on the fronts on my evo than the rears did.

Rears do wear slower, mostly on front engined cars, since cornering causes the wear direction to change,you also have the added wear of the tire biting in on acceleration?

*goes to look at thread to see if lines got crossed somewhere *

Well, like somebody pointed out in that thread most of the cars around are FWD...

While I fully understand that, it just felt too blanket-ish of a statement. I found it funny, I guess.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shamelessly stolen from OT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP-hyDSlmUs

n5ExLmw.gif

RP0WqJc.gif

Pinewood

I'm having a laugh over this 'tires' thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1301187

One GAFer doesn't understand tires. The other doesn't get oil. Another one is like "rear tires wear slower than front".
I feel like that every time I pump my tires on my bicycle. It has pressure on it both in bar and psi, but the pistols at gas tanks and what not are always kpa, so I have to think a bit which one was the derivative of the other.

Here I was thinking I was the only person on GAF with a truck!

Nice pickup. Agree about the Silverado, both the 1500 and 2500 feel like you're driving a simulation rather than a truck, no feel to it.

Not great, they're holding at the 16-20k mark really well. Any example I saw below that ended up being pretty shitty for one reason or another. FWIW, prior to looking at the E39 M5, I was pretty much sold on a manual 128i, with the other major contender being the BRZ/FRS. You have to be patient, because there's obviously fewer of them, but they're right around the same price point as the BRZ/FRS.

Actually to me the Silverado felt exactly how I imagined a truck would feel- big, heavy and sluggish. It didn't feel all that different than my last pickup a 1996 GMC Sierra. The F150 on the other hand felt sportier, quicker, and lighter on its feet.

Evo X

Getting an opportunity to drive something quite extraordinary soon. Didn't think there was a chance on hell it would happen.

Will be able to share more in the coming days.

Suffice it to say, I'm pretty fucking excited.

Stinkles

Getting an opportunity to drive something quite extraordinary soon. Didn't think there was a chance on hell it would happen.

Is it a Leaf?

Omg

Lol. It's a tiny bit different than that.

I was going to post a clue, but think you guys would figure it out too fast.

Feel free to take wild guesses in the meantime. ;)

If it's a CGT don't admit it, because I will kill you and wear your skin as a passport to such an invitation.

Just saying. I really like that car.

Need some wheel size help here.

I have a Genesis Coupe that I was previously using for winter driving, I recently purchased a Santa Fe Sport, so I will not be driving the Genesis during winter anymore.

I have a set of 18 inch wheels from the Gen that I would like to use for the winter on my Santa Fe.

Wheel size for the Gen is 7.5Jx18 ET33 front and 8Jx18 ET33 back.

The standard Santa Fe 18 inch wheels are 7.5Jx18 ET49.5 all around.

I know the width is not exactly the same, and I don't mind putting thinner tires in front and wider ones in the back, but what's that ET thing? Will it fit? Bolt pattern is the same.

Need some wheel size help here.

I have a Genesis Coupe that I was previously using for winter driving, I recently purchased a Santa Fe Sport, so I will not be driving the Genesis during winter anymore.

I have a set of 18 inch wheels from the Gen that I would like to use for the winter on my Santa Fe.

Wheel size for the Gen is 7.5Jx18 ET33 front and 8Jx18 ET33 back.

The standard Santa Fe 18 inch wheels are 7.5Jx18 ET49.5 all around.

I know the width is not exactly the same, and I don't mind putting thinner tires in front and wider ones in the back, but what's that ET thing? Will it fit? Bolt pattern is the same.

Its the offset that the wheel has from the suspension.

You might need a spacer as the genesis wheels will rub against the suspension that Santa Fe has.

Gritesh

Am I absolutely crazy for considering selling my 2015 sti for the new mercedes amg c43?

I mean I know it's not a "true amg" in the sense but it's the only one my beer budget will let me afford.

While I love my sti and modding and driving it has been fun two things nag at me.

1. Engine reliability long term. I was planning to build the block but it's close to a 10k investment with a few extras.

2. I'm getting "old" and really want something a little more "sophisticated".

We also own a 2015 glk so it wouldn't be my first mercedes.

Reasons why I'm thinking about the c43.

The badge.
The sound.
The interior.
It's a coupe which I'm finding myself really wanting.
It's got shitty 4matic but here in the Canadian prairies that means I can drive it year round.

Reasons why I'm thinking I shouldn't.

On paper my sti with its current mods out performs the merc in raw figures.
It's not a true "amg"
Resale value diminishes quicker on "luxury" brands.
It's going to cost me about 20k to "upgrade".

We have an expression here in the Netherlands "pooierbak". I often apply it to Mercedes. I would not trade in my Subaru for one. Except if it was a 500 SEC AMG, but that is the only Merc I would ever consider owning since that particular car takes the murderin' pimp mobile aesthetic and truly runs with it.

mkenyon

Banned
Am I absolutely crazy for considering selling my 2015 sti for the new mercedes amg c43?

I mean I know it's not a "true amg" in the sense but it's the only one my beer budget will let me afford.

While I love my sti and modding and driving it has been fun two things nag at me.

1. Engine reliability long term. I was planning to build the block but it's close to a 10k investment with a few extras.

The badge.
The sound.
The interior.
It's got shitty 4matic but here in the Canadian prairies that means I can drive it year round.

It's not a true "amg"
If AWD is a must, prices should be coming down on last gen Panamera 4Ss pretty quick.

There's also the V/S60 Polestar. It's like a grown up WRX.

AlphaSnake

Friend snapped this after I dropped him off at the station!, never realized the brake lights were so bright during the day

This might sound weird as shit...but every time I see pictures of Japan or hear about Japan, in my mind the Street Fighter II announcer's voice comes on with him announcing "Japan" and then the VS. battle theme playing immediately after.

I have a problem. SFII has oddly shaped my geographical associations.

AlphaSnake

Speaking from personal experience, anyone too concerned with aesthetics doesn't own and love a Subaru. :p

I've always loved the looks of old Impreza WRX sedans.

1st gens 'Ns' and especially the bug eye 'S' (including the 2 facelifts). I thought they had such pure Japanese styling cues. Later Imprezas just started looking like copy cat cars, a bit Mazda, a bit Hyundai...although still looked terrific in STi form.

Oh and, 4th gen Legacy? Bae. Still love them.

Stinkles

This might sound weird as shit...but every time I see pictures of Japan or hear about Japan, in my mind the Street Fighter II announcer's voice comes on with him announcing "Japan" and then the VS. battle theme playing immediately after.

Don't forget there are many guys like you, all over the world!

Gritesh

If AWD is a must, prices should be coming down on last gen Panamera 4Ss pretty quick.

There's also the V/S60 Polestar. It's like a grown up WRX.

I appreciate the feedback and yes awd is one of those "must haves" for where I live. I recently bought a 2016 silverado for winter driving here but having the option to still drive my car in the winter months weighs heavily for me based on the fact that we have about 7 months of "winter" here a year.

The panamera has never appealed to me and while exterior aesthetics aren't everything it just never got me going...

The Volvo is such a nice car but I'm hung up on getting a coupe for some reason, however I will never shy away from checking something in person so I'll take a look.

Evo X

Must be a 918 then

Seconded on the volkswagen

Getting warmer...

If it's a CGT don't admit it, because I will kill you and wear your skin as a passport to such an invitation.

Just saying. I really like that car.

Oh, that would be a dream come true. Driving a CGT, not you skinning me. Lol

Sadly, that will have to wait for another day.

Hmmm. We will be anxiously awaiting.

It will be worth it, I assure you.

Please do an AMA.

I would literally get crucified.

Might do it anyway. Lol

Stinkles

You know what's amazing? No matter what car it is, a MacLaren F1 would still top it.

That car is so legendary that other legends are dwarfed by it.

And you can take it on a three person carpool lane.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

will it make your mom proud?

Evo X

Nope. I've already driven the GT3RS 200 miles on road and track. Phenomenal car, but world's apart from this one.

Most likely a P1 or a LaFerrari then. For some reason I think the P1?

Great guesses.

You know what's amazing? No matter what car it is, a MacLaren F1 would still top it.

That car is so legendary that other legends are dwarfed by it.

And you can take it on a three person carpool lane.

You could at least spell it right bro. Perhaps it's lunchtime and you have Big Macs on your mind. Lol

It's probably a reliant robin.

Equally as extraordinary I'd say and I wish I have the chance to drive it someday.

will it make your mom proud?

I doubt she even knows WTF it is to be honest.

Speaking of expensive ass cars, we just bought an SL65 AMG at work.

Should be here next week.

I've never driven a V12 in my entire life so I'm fucking excited.

AlphaSnake

It'll feel slow, until you look down and you're down 115MPH. This is how the DB11 felt.

boltz

You could always just have a local exhaust shop do it up exactly the way you want. Tends to be cheaper than prefab aftermarket stuff too. Just pick your desired tip(s) and they'll make it work.

The shop I would trust to do this, RRE, could do this, but it's just too inconvenient for me to drop off my car there for the day or so it would take. But I did see a single-exit exhaust on an Evo IRL and it looked pretty decent after some soot covered it up, so I would be ok with the look.

Whats your take on seat upholsetry? Im going back and forth wether I want to look at cars with leather upholstery or should I go the route of textile.

Going by usability, textile is the clear winner, especially since Im looking at a car that doesnt offer seat heating, but tan leather interior looks soo damn good...

I prefer leather as it makes pretty much any interior more premium and the fact that it doesn't absorb liquids or sweat, so it is easier to clean up and doesn't get all nasty over time.

Wheels will definitely be next for me. I'd like a second set so I can alternate between snow and summer tired rather than running all seasons year round. Ill probably end up with rpf1s or maybe some used MR BBS wheels, but I'd really like something gold or matte white though. Like some te37s, drool.

Anywho, good luck on the weight shaving. I'm afraid to go down the rabbit hole, but it is amazing how different performance is with and without an adult passenger...

As they are the same weight, I prefer the pf01s over the rpf1s - I'm not a fan of the chunky-looking rim of the rpf1s.

As for weight, you can gain a good amount of trunk space and lose an easy 40+ lbs from removing the spare, tools, and foam.

The badge.
The sound.
The interior.

It's not a true "amg"

From a financial standpoint, sticking with the lower depreciating STI would be better, but it sounds like a big part of you wants something more mature and no matter how much you mod the STI, you can't change that part of it. So why don't you give the C43 a test drive? You'll either fall in love, find a deal breaker about it, or just be meh about it and end your internal debate about replacing your STI.

It's a Bugatti.

Now, moving on to this...

Are these new 3.0TTs wizardry? Look at how a 3.0 GLS performs against a GLS with the V8 and nearly 100HP more and 140 more torques. Scroll down for the performance figures. It's pretty incredible.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/mercedes-benz-gls-class-2017-suv-of-the-year-contender/

Yeah, and the fact that it weighs about 2000 lbs (!) more than my Evo but gets slightly better fuel economy and isn't that far off in terms of straight line speed is pretty amazing.

TTTR

It's not that impressive from 0 to 60 but it pulls like hell afterwards. Especially after 125.

Futaba

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

And of course it's Alpha because who else would it be.

Quick teaser shot.

Not as nice as the vision GT i sat in/revved in italy last Christmas :p

I have the exact same problem with Braziiiil, Chyna and Ty Landu

No Love

Banned
Just absolutely ganked one of my neighbors with a new Golf R. Was pulling 2-3 cars on him at the end of 2nd gear off the line just roling into it. Those things are SLOW.

Would've been nasty if we went to 100-120. Had the perfect road to do it on too.

Top Bottom