• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
As they are the same weight, I prefer the pf01s over the rpf1s - I'm not a fan of the chunky-looking rim of the rpf1s.

As for weight, you can gain a good amount of trunk space and lose an easy 40+ lbs from removing the spare, tools, and foam.

Ha vent done any serious wheel shopping but those do look good and, unlike the rpf1s, come in white!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Something odd happened last night.

I was out with my buddy last night. We went to dinner and a cigar. I pulled up along the sidewalk and I literally had to do triple takes. There was two 2012+ XKRs parked in front of one another. Both black. And mine made it 3, so 3 black XKRs all next to each other. Was so odd.

But to make matters more odd and fun, a Merc AMG GTS and a GTR pulled up to the sidewalk and parked behind us. The owners of those cars knew each other, they were both plastic surgeons. The XKR owners I've never seen before and one of them left before I could take a pic - so I didn't see who drove it. The other XKR was driven by a 45-50 year old guy from the cigar lounge next door.

And the other XKR was driven by some douchey ass-face Knicks fan. :p

But seriously, 3 black XKRs was just odd as fuck. XKRs are extremely rare, as is...so this was quite a coincidence.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Speaking of Jaguar.

C&D did a comparo of the F-Pace S vs. Macan GTS. And the result is closest I recall ever seeing in a comparison. 1 point out of 245 to be had, determined the winner. We're talking a 0.245% margin? I think that's just phenomenal.

The Macan had $10K in options, the F-Pace was as-is "base".

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

Macan also goes for sticker plus and has annoying wait list. That said I vastly prefer it to the cayenne conceptually and aesthetically.

KrisB

I went to another monthly Coffee & Cars Blackwood this morning.

Really good turnout today and thankfully the rain held off until the end.

Full gallery - http://86modified.com/2016/10/30/coffee-cars-blackwood-october-2016/

DSC_0730.jpg

DSC_0765.jpg

DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

Car dealerships really need to adopt the business model the dealership I work at uses.

So that bugeye WRX I was talking about is actually from your bog standard dealer.

The car was still at the lot yesterday morning so I sent my info through their contact us thing and not even within 20 minutes, the internet guy calls me, assures that the car is still there and is willing to setup an appointment for today. Obviously I'm at work at this time so it's a little annoying but whatever, so I chat it up with the guy, setup an appointment, and ask him to find out if there's any service records for the car.

He said he'll find out and I end the call there. A couple of minutes later, I get a text from his "personal phone" assuring me of our conversation but disregarding my concern about the service records. Alright fine, I'll mention it again. And you know what he does?

He calls me multiple times and only stops coz I tell him I'm in a meeting(discussing if we should buy that SL65 AMG lol) so instead he looks over the fucking Carfax and texts me everything that I've already seen... like bruh, I'm asking for service records, not the fucking Carfax.

So I mention to him about the required timing belt change and ringland failure and motherfucker goes silent... and this was at 2PM CST... he literally had at least 6 hours to respond and try to assure me or whatever, but nothing. This morning I found out why.

Some sucker bought the car instead. So instead of letting me know ASAP that it was sold, he waits until 2 hours before the appointment and tells me it was sold. Motherfucker what? I had already made plans to look at that shit(had a Scooby buddy come along to look) and now you're telling me 2 hours before that I can't do that anymore?

Ugh, car dealerships need to go burn in a fire or adopt for the modern era.

In the dealership I work at, there's no bullshit between you and the salesman. No pressure from sales to sell you the car as they ain't on commission, there's no haggling and hell they don't even accompany you on the test drive. They just suggest a route and you can go on your own merry way.

Honestly, I'm more pissed at the mofo for wasting my time than the car being sold.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Car dealerships really need to adopt the business model the dealership I work at uses.

So that bugeye WRX I was talking about is actually from your bog standard dealer.

The car was still at the lot yesterday morning so I sent my info through their contact us thing and not even within 20 minutes, the internet guy calls me, assures that the car is still there and is willing to setup an appointment for today. Obviously I'm at work at this time so it's a little annoying but whatever, so I chat it up with the guy, setup an appointment, and ask him to find out if there's any service records for the car.

He said he'll find out and I end the call there. A couple of minutes later, I get a text from his "personal phone" assuring me of our conversation but disregarding my concern about the service records. Alright fine, I'll mention it again. And you know what he does?

He calls me multiple times and only stops coz I tell him I'm in a meeting(discussing if we should buy that SL65 AMG lol) so instead he looks over the fucking Carfax and texts me everything that I've already seen... like bruh, I'm asking for service records, not the fucking Carfax.

So I mention to him about the required timing belt change and ringland failure and motherfucker goes silent... and this was at 2PM CST... he literally had at least 6 hours to respond and try to assure me or whatever, but nothing. This morning I found out why.

Some sucker bought the car instead. So instead of letting me know ASAP that it was sold, he waits until 2 hours before the appointment and tells me it was sold. Motherfucker what? I had already made plans to look at that shit(had a Scooby buddy come along to look) and now you're telling me 2 hours before that I can't do that anymore?

In the dealership I work at, there's no bullshit between you and the salesman. No pressure from sales to sell you the car as they ain't on commission, there's no haggling and hell they don't even accompany you on the test drive. They just suggest a route and you can go on your own merry way.

Honestly, I'm more pissed at the mofo for wasting my time than the car being sold.

Happened to me twice. Bought different brands from different dealers both times because I was so pissed. My last dealer experience was excellent but a rival dealer acted like I was crazy and lying when I told him what his rival had offered. Rude as fuck. Lost the sale and guaranteed I trash that business any time someone asks me. All he had to do was say , "that's a great price sorry I can't beat it" and I say nice things about them forever. Cost: zero Benefit: significant

That salesman hurt his company out of unchecked rudeness driven by vanity or greed. Jesus.

Pretend to be nice.

Having worked at a car dealership I can confirm that when buying a used car, the sales people don't know anything about the car, nor do they care about what you actually want.

Having worked at a car dealership I can confirm that when buying a used car, the sales people don't know anything about the car, nor do they care about what you actually want.

That's kinda how it is for us too tbh, we don't know every nuance of every car we have besides what the build sheet said(and if it isn't an MB, BMW or Audi, we don't know jack shit about it unless the car came with the sticker) and there's not really a care to what car you're getting but mostly because our sales won't lead you on to another car or whatever since there's no pressure to sell sell sell like most dealers do.

Pretend to be nice.

Shit this phrase applies to all aspects in life, not just selling cars or whatever. It's a shame most people don't take it to heart.

Pinewood

Do you mean by this that the advertised price is final or that the salesman isnt going to push you towards the sale?

ruxtpin

Banned
So I only had a couple of days at home before flying out again, but I was able to pick up my new car. Always get nervous about big purchases; shortly after I had some buyer regret, but with a divorce earlier this year and moving away from where I grew up ... I just needed to "treat yo' self!"

I'd like to try and get an exhaust recording when I have the chance, but all I have at the moment is the few new pics below. Gas mileage is terrible with city driving, but much improved once on the highway after the cylinder shut-off kicks in. Surprisingly comfortable ride and I'm loving the heated steering wheel (it's already starting to get a bit cooler in the Philly area). I realize out of the current muscle cars available the Challenger is the least athletic of the bunch, but the car corners pretty flat (at least when going around a curve getting on/off the highway). Once I've some more miles on it I'm looking forward to a road-trip with my new lady friend.

30665881225_588575a52a_z.jpg

30577950401_828e3399a8_z.jpg

30032215283_a0f208ff60_z.jpg

AlphaSnake

So I only had a couple of days at home before flying out again, but I was able to pick up my new car. Always get nervous about big purchases; shortly after I had some buyer regret, but with a divorce earlier this year and moving away from where I grew up ... I just needed to "treat yo' self!"

I'd like to try and get an exhaust recording when I have the chance, but all I have at the moment is the few new pics below. Gas mileage is terrible with city driving, but much improved once on the highway after the cylinder shut-off kicks in. Surprisingly comfortable ride and I'm loving the heated steering wheel (it's already starting to get a bit cooler in the Philly area). I realize out of the current muscle cars available the Challenger is the least athletic of the bunch, but the car corners pretty flat (at least when going around a curve getting on/off the highway). Once I've some more miles on it I'm looking forward to a road-trip with my new lady friend.

Such an awesome looking car. Just oozes anger. And the poorer handling characteristics of the Challenger are so overblown. Unless you took all 3 cars to the track, you wouldn't really know that the Challenger is inferior in that regard. It's well composed for what it is, especially considered it's 700lbs heavier than the competition. Overall, I've always preferred them.

matmanx1

Speaking of Jaguar.

C&D did a comparo of the F-Pace S vs. Macan GTS. And the result is closest I recall ever seeing in a comparison. 1 point out of 245 to be had, determined the winner. We're talking a 0.245% margin? I think that's just phenomenal.

The Macan had $10K in options, the F-Pace was as-is "base".

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

I actually have this issue in my house right now. It was a good comparison and one of the closest I have ever seen. C&D actually prefer how the Jag drives, believe it or not, but the Porsche has a nicer interior and better body control which lead to the 1 point margin of difference.

Macan also goes for sticker plus and has annoying wait list. That said I vastly prefer it to the cayenne conceptually and aesthetically.

Oh absolutely. I think the Macan is far and away the best looking crossover on the road with only the new F-Pace as a rival in the looks department.

Yeah and stuff like that is all too common, unfortunately. What dealership do you work at, if you don't mind me asking. I've always wanted to work for a year or two at a high end car dealership but have never lived close enough to one to make it worth it. How do you like it and what's your role? I'm just curious so you can PM me if you would rather.

Well, it looks the serious business, that's for sure. That thing just radiates menace and power. Congrats again on the purchase and I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Yeah and stuff like that is all too common, unfortunately. What dealership do you work at, if you don't mind me asking. I've always wanted to work for a year or two at a high end car dealership but have never lived close enough to one to make it worth it. How do you like it and what's your role? I'm just curious so you can PM me if you would rather.

PM me if you really want the name but what I can tell you is that were an independent dealer that primarily deals with MB and BMW's, though we do deal with Audi's as well on a minor take.

I'm the photographer for the company and that's basically all I do. I just grab a car that's showroom ready, prop it up in my photobooth, take an average of 50+ pictures of the car(average of 8 cars a day), then bring it over to the showroom once I'm done.

I personally love it. It's stress free, I don't bring work at home after hours or the weekend, and it's easy work. Honestly the hardest part about the gig are two things, parking the cars in our very tight showroom(since most of these cars are probably more expensive than my current net worth haha) and having to walk outside from our showroom to my photobooth which is in another building so braving the elements is a little bleh lol.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like repetitive tasks or following a specific pattern as that's exactly what needs to happen to take pictures of a car. For example, exterior shots have to be the same angle(easy to do since the car is on a turntable) then interior wise you literally walk around the car and take pics of the inside from every door then every button you can get your hands on from the drivers seat.

But yeah, it's a fun gig. I'm extremely lucky I got it coz before that I was a freelance photographer and the hours were great but the pay fncking sucked. But now, the hours are pretty alright but I can actually buy shit and pay my bills at the same time! Lol.

AlphaSnake

I don't know what happening in my neighborhood...but I have way too many neighbors with Porsches suddenly, and I literally mean immediate neighbors. Next door neighbor has his cousin always parking a 2015 991 in his driveway (I think it's a C4S). House across the street has a base 991.2 Convertible. Three doors down, the owner's father-in-law keeps his 1964 911 in the garage. And frequently brings his own 997 Turbo S to the house.

I don't wanna creep and take pictures late at night and feel like an excited child, but I did snap the 991.2 since no one was around. :p

Porsche drivers in my part of town are very, VERY enthusiastic drivers. A road that crosses through the town is nice and curvy, and man, two nights ago me and a 991.2 C4S Coupe were having fun. His AWD allowed him to just swish through every turn, meanwhile my car's rear-end wanted to dance and burn Italian rubber, but the diff did a great job of correcting it. There was a lot of sprinkler water overflow on the road, so turning off traction would've been an absolutely awful idea for me.

Also, peep the 2006 Camry. It's our 3rd emergency car that my in-laws brought down from NYC (they drive a 2013 Prius). The paint is in awful shape, riddled with all sorts of tar spots, sap, shit, bugs, etc. I'm going to try and restore it as much as I can, and then trade it for a base Jag XE 2.5T. We'll see what happens of it.

No Love

Banned
I don't know what happening in my neighborhood...but I have way too many neighbors with Porsches suddenly, and I literally mean immediate neighbors. Next door neighbor has his cousin always parking a 2015 991 in his driveway (I think it's a C4S). House across the street has a base 991.2 Convertible. Three doors down, the owner's father-in-law keeps his 1964 911 in the garage. And frequently brings his own 997 Turbo S to the house.

I don't wanna creep and take pictures late at night and feel like an excited child, but I did snap the 991.2 since no one was around. :p

Porsche drivers in my part of town are very, VERY enthusiastic drivers. A road that crosses through the town is nice and curvy, and man, two nights ago me and a 991.2 C4S Coupe were having fun. His AWD allowed him to just swish through every turn, meanwhile my car's rear-end wanted to dance and burn Italian rubber, but the diff did a great job of correcting it. There was a lot of sprinkler water overflow on the road, so turning off traction would've been an absolutely awful idea for me.

Also, peep the 2006 Camry. It's our 3rd emergency car that my in-laws brought down from NYC (they drive a 2013 Prius). The paint is in awful shape, riddled with all sorts of tar spots, sap, shit, bugs, etc. I'm going to try and restore it as much as I can, and then trade it for a base Jag XE 2.5T. We'll see what happens of it.

How does your neighborhood not smell like straight douche? The scent must be overwhelming.

AlphaSnake

How does your neighborhood not smell like straight douche? The scent must be overwhelming.

Funny you say that. I don't like my next door neighbor. He's an inconsiderate ass who has parties way past the county curfew, normally even past midnight. And not inside the house, outside on our lake fronts, which echoes quite a lot of noise back. This has happened in the past, but last night I went outside at 11:20PM and told him they were being loud outside and that we can't sleep.

The guy three doors down, his father-in-law parks the 997 Turbo S half in the driveway, half out...blocking the sidewalk. We have designated, long ass parking spots on the streets. The 991 C4S last night parked blocking the driveway on the street (where you can't park), for example because my part of the street is a little narrow.

But the owner of the 991.2 'vert I posted, so far no issues. In my picture, the little brown house to the left, the owner bought it for his parents. He has a white RS7. License plate literally just reads "RS7".

I see a sales rep for the Audi dealership nearby at my friend's cafe, and asked him about the guy and he was one of the first RS7 owners in the country when it came back. I remember seeing it maybe close to 2 years ago, flipping out to my wife "OMG! AN RS7 BABE! THEY JUST WENT ON SALE. OMG." And sure enough a year later, I see it driving through my subdivision with our sales reps and building a new home.

Pinewood

I see a sales rep for the Audi dealership nearby at my friend's cafe, and asked him about the guy and he was one of the first RS7 owners in the country when it came back. I remember seeing it maybe close to 2 years ago, flipping out to my wife "OMG! AN RS7 BABE! THEY JUST WENT ON SALE. OMG." And sure enough a year later, I see it driving through my subdivision with our sales reps and building a new home.

"Yes yes, now eat your veggies honey"

This is how it went down in my head and you cant convince me otherwise, even if your wife is a petrolhead

AlphaSnake

"Yes yes, now eat your veggies honey"

This is how it went down in my head and you cant convince me otherwise, even if your wife is a petrolhead

Hahaha. She is actually a petrolhead, you're right. But she didn't care as much about the RS7. She was like "cool, it's rare, but not U-turn worthy, let's go home". "U-turn worthy" is a phrase we use commonly. When I saw a McLaren P1, you bet your ass I busted a U.

matmanx1

PM me if you really want the name but what I can tell you is that were an independent dealer that primarily deals with MB and BMW's, though we do deal with Audi's as well on a minor take.

I'm the photographer for the company and that's basically all I do. I just grab a car that's showroom ready, prop it up in my photobooth, take an average of 50+ pictures of the car(average of 8 cars a day), then bring it over to the showroom once I'm done.

I personally love it. It's stress free, I don't bring work at home after hours or the weekend, and it's easy work. Honestly the hardest part about the gig are two things, parking the cars in our very tight showroom(since most of these cars are probably more expensive than my current net worth haha) and having to walk outside from our showroom to my photobooth which is in another building so braving the elements is a little bleh lol.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like repetitive tasks or following a specific pattern as that's exactly what needs to happen to take pictures of a car. For example, exterior shots have to be the same angle(easy to do since the car is on a turntable) then interior wise you literally walk around the car and take pics of the inside from every door then every button you can get your hands on from the drivers seat.

But yeah, it's a fun gig. I'm extremely lucky I got it coz before that I was a freelance photographer and the hours were great but the pay fncking sucked. But now, the hours are pretty alright but I can actually buy shit and pay my bills at the same time! Lol.

Good for you, and I mean it. That sounds like an excellent gig for a guy who's a professional photographer and an auto enthusiast.

Despite the stereotype there are actually a couple of different types of Porsche drivers. The pricks and selfish jerks are the most visible but then their are the true enthusiasts and also the regular folks who saved up and bought an aspirational car.

I'm being tongue and cheek here but the particular "scent" of Alpha's neighborhood would be determined by what kind of mixture of drivers he has close by. The enthusiasts and regular folks are mostly ok, the pricks and jerks are the ones who give the rest of the crowd a bad name.

AlphaSnake

Despite the stereotype there are actually a couple of different types of Porsche drivers. The pricks and selfish jerks are the most visible but then their are the true enthusiasts and also the regular folks who saved up and bought an aspirational car.

I'm being tongue and cheek here but the particular "scent" of Alpha's neighborhood would be determined by what kind of mixture of drivers he has close by. The enthusiasts and regular folks are mostly ok, the pricks and jerks are the ones who give the rest of the crowd a bad name.

Read my post above, he actually nailed it. We are 2/3 for now. LOL

Did the rear wheel bearing in my wife's car last night.

Fuck whoever at BMW thought it was a good idea to press fit those things into the hub.

Hey, everything is easy when you have the right BMW certified tool!

Shit, we had the correct tools to press out the old bearing and press in the new one, and to pull the half shaft back into the hub.

It still was a fucking BITCH to get the half shaft out of the hub. We heated it up to like 600 degrees and hit it with an 8lbs sledge with a punch and after about 25 hits. IT FINALLY came out.

Also, by some miracle, I didn't destroy the abs wheel speed sensor by heating it up that much.

AlphaSnake

I ordered an interesting little add-on to my XKR.

If anyone's ever driven an XKR or an F-Type (or really any Jaguar), they'll know they have fairly small-ish paddles behind the wheel that are also plastic. I was a huge fan of the M56S' paddles, which were (I believe) magnesium paddles. They were large and wonderful to snap. Now, F-Type R's can be spec'd with a package to give you larger and metallic paddles. But they really should be standard. And obviously, on other Jags it's not really a necessity. But quite honestly, the paddles are more than fine. It's just that I feel like on an XKR, they should be more pronounced...more sporty.

So there are companies (in China of course) that make paddle extensions. The cheap ones use 3M tape. The good ones use hex tensioners that are applied using...well, a hex allen key. You snap the paddle in, and tighten it down. For extra security, feel free to add a little layer of 3M tape, but the whole purpose is to keep the look as flush as possible.

Here's a video of this specific type of extension. They are also aluminum, which is very nice. I ordered mine in gunmetal grey, to seamlessly match my grey paddles. I didn't want any clashing colors, like the one in this video. Funny enough, the video features an FR-S. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Z5PrAS0Xw

Shadoken

Got my interior customized with some Alcantara goodness. Taking out all those panels was a pain but it was worth it in the end. So much nicer inside the car now :D

29790990234_e5cdee81cf_k.jpg

30304931662_19cf6e9bf1_k.jpg

29790985304_a8167be179_k.jpg

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today for the first time ever I changed my windshield wiper blades myself instead of having some service mechanic do it for me. My thumbs are still sore though lol.
*pats self on the back*

No Love

Banned
Good for you, and I mean it. That sounds like an excellent gig for a guy who's a professional photographer and an auto enthusiast.

I was being tongue in cheek. I'm sure my neighborhood has far more douche scent in it with the random Z06's, M4's, GTR with giant wing and Godzilla claw marks, giant winged Viper, tons of lame-ass 5.0's, the farty Abarthy 500's, and all the the other crap that the Middle Eastern ane Chinese kids' rich parents buy them. 😄

Yup, it's not exactly glamorous(I wear shorts and a tee to work lol) and I don't really get to work on my craft as a photog since I've basically got a set workflow that has to be uniform for all the cars but it's fun and it pays the bills and some so I consider myself very lucky to get it.

And I mean really really lucky. I was on the job hunt since July of this year, had multiple interviews at small and big companies and multiple times they told me that I was a great candidate both on paper and in person but something about me was preventing them from going through with it. They actually told me what's up(basically I didn't stay long enough at my last two gigs though that isn't really my fault since both of them ended up as failed ventures and are basically dead as of right now... don't ever work with startup companies lol) during the interview but decided to hire me anyway.

Anyway, here's a unicorn from work that we just got today:

XA9hYIbh.jpg

Notice something extremely out of the ordinary for a Mercedes?

And this really is a unicorn, it's a 2015 model SLK250... the last of it's kind since the new SLC's don't offer a stick anymore.

Shadoken

That interior is fan-fucking-tastic. Linked to my auto buddies. Everyone drooling.

Yep. Job well done.

Thanks guys... Its a shame Toyota and Subaru dont provide Alcantara options. It goes so well with this car. @Sweidit deseves some major props , it looks super clean OEM lol.

Yeah he does excellent work!, currently working with him on something too :)

Nice , I wanna see what you getting done.

Yup, it's not exactly glamorous(I wear shorts and a tee to work lol) and I don't really get to work on my craft as a photog since I've basically got a set workflow that has to be uniform for all the cars but it's fun and it pays the bills and some so I consider myself very lucky to get it.

And I mean really really lucky. I was on the job hunt since July of this year, had multiple interviews at small and big companies and multiple times they told me that I was a great candidate both on paper and in person but something about me was preventing them from going through with it. They actually told me what's up(basically I didn't stay long enough at my last two gigs though that isn't really my fault since both of them ended up as failed ventures and are basically dead as of right now... don't ever work with startup companies lol) during the interview but decided to hire me anyway.

Is it common for dealerships to actually hire a photographer? You're over in Dallas aren't you? I'm unemployed right now and was considering getting more into photography since its a hobby I've enjoyed for a long time now.

My cousin got his GTR back with the Pandem widebody back, took a quick snap of it the other day.

QRNgIK5.jpg

Is it common for dealerships to actually hire a photographer? You're over in Dallas aren't you? I'm unemployed right now and was considering getting more into photography since its a hobby I've enjoyed for a long time now.

My cousin got his GTR back with the Pandem widebody back, took a quick snap of it the other day.

Sooo wide and tall lol. I was watching that NSX vs GT-R comparo Motor Trend did and good lord, the GT-R truly is Godzilla in physical form.

Anyway, actually I don't think brand "dependent" dealers have an in-house photog. There's certainly some exceptions but even then I don't think they go as detailed as I do with the cars. Like I'm literally the last guy to go over the cars before it goes to the showroom. If the guys before me miss a scratch, noise, whatever, I immediately report it and send it back to get it fixed. Photography is definitely a major part of it, but quality control is probably a major and hidden aspect of my gig.

Honestly speaking, I'd suggest to keep photography as a supplement of your income unless you're absolutely sure what you're going to be doing is long lasting(more than a few months). Freelancing is fun when you're sure you've got work lined up but those moments where you have nothing? Man those could be some real dark times.

On the other hand, if you're trying to be a staff photog at a company... it's tough. Different companies want different things so I can't really give out any advice on that but if somebody does hire you, you need to make it a point where you're irreplaceable as some young'un can probably do your job better than you one way or the other lol.

AlphaSnake

XA9hYIbh.jpg

And this really is a unicorn, it's a 2015 model SLK250... the last of it's kind since the new SLC's don't offer a stick anymore.

Woah. That is really, really cool!

AlphaSnake

Yes, it is. Large dealerships, especially. Every major dealer in my area with ginormous lots (Toyota, Nissan, GM, etc) have a hired photog on staff. I've seen them literally pull a car out of a parking spot and take a million pictures.

Malvolio

Whats wrong with the Abarth 500? It seems like a fun little car to me

I found the 500 to be fun, but could never get over the seating position and the horsepower. Feels like racing a barstool. Love the exhaust note and the quirkiness, but when tossing it around, just about everything else in its class felt more adept and performance oriented. Even my old CR-Z had more pep and that was a hybrid hauling around a bunch of batteries. I think it's a good car, but so many competitors are leagues ahead. The Fiesta ST is really the class of that segment and even with my aversion to Ford, I'd pick one up long before throwing down for a 500.

matmanx1

XA9hYIbh.jpg

Holy cow! Manual Mercedes in 2015? Amazing!

I found the 500 to be fun, but could never get over the seating position and the horsepower. Feels like racing a barstool. Love the exhaust note and the quirkiness, but when tossing it around, just about everything else in its class felt more adept and performance oriented. Even my old CR-Z had more pep and that was a hybrid hauling around a bunch of batteries. I think it's a good car, but so many competitors are leagues ahead. The Fiesta ST is really the class of that segment and even with my aversion to Ford, I'd pick one up long before throwing down for a 500.

I still need to drive one so that I can form an opinion. I had an appointment to go drive one on the day I bought my current MX-5 but as soon as I saw and drove the MX-5 I knew it was the car I needed to get.

I'm also still curious about the Fiata (124 Abarth, specifically) but have pretty much put a ban on myself test driving new cars after having bought, sold and traded 4 cars in the last 3 years. My wife is beyond ready for me to stick with something for a while and I am in a happy place with the GX470 / MX-5 combo.

What year did you drive? In 2014 they lowered the seat a bit. I test drove a 2015 and it did not feel too high. Fun little cars, super cheap used too. They still have a stigma of being unreliable, but I think they are now average in reliability, based on what I've heard from some friends who have them.

Malvolio

What year did you drive? In 2014 they lowered the seat a bit. I test drove a 2015 and it did not feel too high. Fun little cars, super cheap used too. They still have a stigma of being unreliable, but I think they are now average in reliability, based on what I've heard from some friends who have them.

It was in 2013, but I can't remember if it was a '13 or '14. I do agree that it was fun, but there is a ton of fun to be had in that price range these days. I don't want to knock it too much, because I want more cars with that type of inspiration, but when looking at the market I could never justify 20K+ on that car knowing what else can be had.

It was in 2013, but I can't remember if it was a '13 or '14. I do agree that it was fun, but there is a ton of fun to be had in that price range these days. I don't want to knock it too much, because I want more cars with that type of inspiration, but when looking at the market I could never justify 20K+ on that car knowing what else can be had.

True. I will admit I am seriously tempted by a used 2015 Abarth with 5k miles on it on sale for $17.5K down the road from me.

Shadoken

This LC500 at SEMA tho
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/11/lexus-mods-lc-500-gs-f-sedan-and-rc-f.html

lexus-custom-lc500-rcf-gsf-sema2016-3.jpg

lexus-custom-lc500-rcf-gsf-sema2016-2.jpg

- Body work by Signature Autobody
- Artisan Spirit Custom Lexus LC Aero Kit featuring fender flares, front diffuser, side skirts, rear diffuser and rear wing
- Evasive Motorsport race cage and custom interior
- Sparco USA Carbon Fiber Seats
- 22" HRE Wheels P101 in Satin Charcoal
- Brembo Brakes (six piston front, four piston rear, Slotted Type-3 Rotors, Custom Caliper Color)
- KW Suspension (Hydraulic Lift System with height adjustable spring kit)
- Increased Bore Size from 94mm to 99.5 mm
- Increased Displacement from 4,969 cc (5.0L) to 5,569 (5.6L)
- Power increased from 467hp to 525hp
- Torque increased from 391 lb.-ft. to 440 lb.-ft.
- Custom Moly-2000 Amphibian Sleeves from LA Sleeve
- Custom Carrillo 4340 H-beam Connecting Rods

Top Bottom